PDA

View Full Version : Which teams take a step up next season and which teams fall back?

Vampirate
04-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Obviously Chicago should be better next year when Rose comes back and/if they get someone like Carmelo Anthony or Kevin Love.

Minnesota is an obvious choice to fall back, unless something unexpected happens and Kevin Love resigns, they will be without their best player and will most likely have to rebuild.

abe_froman
04-16-2014, 07:28 PM
way,way,way too early to be asking this.how teams fare going forward are very dependent on free agent and trade acquisitions,who teams draft,what coaches and gm's they'll have,ect. ;these things are not known yet

you bring up minny and for all we now,they dont trade love(he isnt a f.a.) and land wiggins...and whatddaya know,things are looking up instead of falling back

Ezio
04-16-2014, 07:29 PM
NOLA takes a step forward and Philly with their picks + FA money.

Hawkeye15
04-16-2014, 07:32 PM
Obviously Chicago should be better next year when Rose comes back and/if they get someone like Carmelo Anthony or Kevin Love.

Minnesota is an obvious choice to fall back, unless something unexpected happens and Kevin Love resigns, they will be without their best player and will most likely have to rebuild.

how is Minnesota a good choice to fall back when they were much better than their record showed? If they simply make a few roster adjustments, and hire the right coach when Adelman steps down in a few weeks, they can win 5-10 more games for sure. But worst case is they hover around the same record again.

They will not entertain trade offers for Love this summer. Absolutely no way their management does it (not saying I agree or disagree with that strategy, I simply would be SHOCKED if they did move him).

I can never answer these types of threads until we see what each team does in the offseason and what they are bringing into training camp really.

AddiX
04-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Hehe, Hawkeye as loyal as loyal gets to that team...

Hawkeye15
04-16-2014, 07:34 PM
NOLA takes a step forward and Philly with their picks + FA money.

you would HAVE to think Philly will be better. They will essentially be adding the #6 pick from last year, and a top 3-4 pick from this draft, plus you have to figure they will spend a little money in free agency to upgrade.

Hawkeye15
04-16-2014, 07:35 PM
Hehe, Hawkeye as loyal as loyal gets to that team...

If they seriously **** the bed in close games like they did this year, next year, it would start changing statistical trends. For real. They have the most 20, and 30 point leads in the league this year. They need a coaching change, and to tweek the roster for a better fit.

PTS/G: 106.6 (4th of 30) ▪ Opp PTS/G: 103.9 (26th of 30)
SRS: 3.28 (9th of 30) ▪ Pace: 97.3 (4th of 30)
Off Rtg: 108.9 (10th of 30) ▪ Def Rtg: 106.0 (12th of 30)
Expected W-L: 48-33 (10th of 30)

They should have won 49 games after tonight with their expected production.

AddiX
04-16-2014, 07:46 PM
League trends are nice, but there's always exceptions, and I don't know why your so big on these 20-30 pt lead stuff. There's just far to many crappy games throughout the season to take these end of the year NBA stats serious.

And the acceptance, especially in the west coast, of the run and gun 3 point chucking offenses as really lead to a lot more blowouts and a lot of Stat juiced games in the NBA.

It's why when I look at these high scoring teams in the west, I don't take any of them serious. That stuff doesn't work against real teams, and in the playoffs.

NBA_Starter
04-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Bobcats will likely fall back unless we are smart in FA.

Hawkeye15
04-16-2014, 08:28 PM
League trends are nice, but there's always exceptions, and I don't know why your so big on these 20-30 pt lead stuff. There's just far to many crappy games throughout the season to take these end of the year NBA stats serious.

And the acceptance, especially in the west coast, of the run and gun 3 point chucking offenses as really lead to a lot more blowouts and a lot of Stat juiced games in the NBA.

It's why when I look at these high scoring teams in the west, I don't take any of them serious. That stuff doesn't work against real teams, and in the playoffs.

the regular season isn't the playoffs....

I have no doubt we can't win a series with Rubio/Martin in the backcourt, and a non-rim protecting center next to Love. Rubio would kill us in the slowed down, 7 game series.

AddiX
04-16-2014, 08:34 PM
the regular season isn't the playoffs....

I have no doubt we can't win a series with Rubio/Martin in the backcourt, and a non-rim protecting center next to Love. Rubio would kill us in the slowed down, 7 game series.

I dunno if the wolves take a step up next season or not, not really sure how much flexibility they have, amd in the past they havnt been willing to take contracts to make a real playoff push. IMO that's what they need to do.

As for Rubio/Martin, years ago that might look good on paper, in today's NBA its average at best.

Hawkeye15
04-16-2014, 08:41 PM
I dunno if the wolves take a step up next season or not, not really sure how much flexibility they have, amd in the past they havnt been willing to take contracts to make a real playoff push. IMO that's what they need to do.

As for Rubio/Martin, years ago that might look good on paper, in today's NBA its average at best.

their biggest problem is that David Kahn was the worst drafting GM in the last 15 years. He stifled any chance they had.

And Martin has been apart of collectively 4 of the worst 10 teams in clutch moments since 2000. He simply isn't clutch at all. Rubio hurts you late in games because he is a turnover machine who doesn't look to score in those situations, effectively letting the defense zero in on Love exclusively. And there is a reason Brewer is ALWAYS open in the corner. Teams want him shooting that.

FOBolous
04-16-2014, 08:47 PM
it's hard to say....i think Portland and Pheonix are two teams that might fall back in the Western Conference. Dallas is an old team too so they might fall back also. The Wolves and the Pelicans are two young teams that could move up if they make the right off season moves.

Hawkeye15
04-16-2014, 08:50 PM
it's hard to say....i think Portland and Pheonix are two teams that might fall back in the Western Conference. Dallas is an old team too so they might fall back also. The Wolves and the Pelicans are two young teams that could move up if they make the right off season moves.

unless they trade him, Pelicans get back Ryan Anderson too, and their backcourt should get healthier. They are a decent pick.

jkcronyn
04-16-2014, 08:57 PM
pistons because I can't imagine worse

NBA_Starter
04-16-2014, 09:09 PM
pistons because I can't imagine worse

That is a fact!

Tony_Starks
04-16-2014, 09:32 PM
Sacramento, Cleveland, NO up. Minny, Toronto, Houston down.

KnicksorBust
04-16-2014, 09:36 PM
This is a great thread idea ... ya know... for October.

Htownballa1622
04-16-2014, 10:44 PM
Sacramento, Cleveland, NO up. Minny, Toronto, Houston down.

Care to explain?

gatkins11
04-16-2014, 11:10 PM

They're really not that old and Dirk is still Dirk. Not to mention they have plenty of cap space. They have no reason not to be a better team next year.

Avenged
04-16-2014, 11:14 PM
Lakers fall even more back. Idk how that's possible but they will.

ScottFromCanada
04-16-2014, 11:45 PM
I think the Raptors have a lot of guys in contract years so I could definitely see them falling back.