PDA

View Full Version : Most Versatile Role Player?

valade16
04-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Who is the most versatile role player or "non-star" right now? I thought of this when looking up Nicholas Batum's stats:

.590 TS%, 36.3% 3pt%, 7.5 RPG, 5.1 APG, .9 SPG, .7 BPG, 13.1 PPG.

It seems he can sort of do it all. He shoots well, can hit from deep, rebounds, passes, plays solid man defense (can be lock down at times but sometimes loses his focus).

So I want to know, who else out there is a jack of all trades or has played well in a variety of areas this season and do you think they are more well rounded or versatile than Batum?

NYKnickFanatic
04-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Jarrett Jack

Cal827
04-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Amir Johnson is pretty good. Solid defense and can get like 11 or 12-8 with a block/steal.

P&GRealist
04-16-2014, 02:32 PM
You're just going by stats.

I got by overall impact. Give me Lance Stephenson or Kawhi Leonard.

valade16
04-16-2014, 02:42 PM
You're just going by stats.

I got by overall impact. Give me Lance Stephenson or Kawhi Leonard.

Just because I posted them doesn't mean that's all I go by, especially because I specifically mentioned defense.

Those are nice picks. They would certainly be in the running for most versatile

ewing
04-16-2014, 03:19 PM
probably Toni Kukoc but serious Batum is the right answer. Dude actually is a star its just no one realizes it yet

D-Leethal
04-16-2014, 03:20 PM
I don't consider any of those guys role players. Those guys are all potential all stars.

D-Leethal
04-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Not my 100% pick but a guy who fits the bill is Shaun Livingston - can play the point, can play the 2, can guard 3 positions, can play with the ball, off the ball etc...

Huntey
04-16-2014, 04:02 PM
The point of a role player is that they aren't versatile; they play a role. Obviously some are more versatile than others, which is probably what you're getting at.

I don't really think of Leonard or LS as role players, you may not consider them 'stars' but they are better than role players.

My suns homer pick is PJ Tucker. He's versatile enough to guard 3 positions, he rebounds well and can shoot the 3 ball at a nice clip.

kdspurman
04-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Not my 100% pick but a guy who fits the bill is Shaun Livingston - can play the point, can play the 2, can guard 3 positions, can play with the ball, off the ball etc...

Yea he's definitely a good one.

alexander_37
04-16-2014, 04:14 PM
Terrence Jones and Parsons are my semi homer picks.

Parsons can hit the 3, drive to the rim, pass, and play defense.

Jones can Rebound really well, run in transition, defend the paint, and shoot mid range and 3 balls.

Clippersfan86
04-16-2014, 04:21 PM
I agree with Huntey. A role player is NOT a borderline all star (Batum, Leonard). It's a guy who fills a specific role off the bench and has a good impact doing so. Reggie Evans deserves a nod here.

Sadds The Gr8
04-16-2014, 04:28 PM
Isn't the title contradictory? Role player is someone who does one thing really well...if you're versatile, you're better than a role player. I wouldn't qualify batum or Parsons as role players. I'd qualify sefolosha or korver as a role player

Ebbs
04-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Terrence Jones and Parsons are my semi homer picks.

Parsons can hit the 3, drive to the rim, pass, and play defense.

Jones can Rebound really well, run in transition, defend the paint, and shoot mid range and 3 balls.

Jones is not an "all around" player. Parsons is beyond a role player. He's a touch below all-star caliber

kdspurman
04-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Boris Diaw is another name who's been stellar this year and is very versatile.

Huntey
04-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I think Diaw is another example of being just about as versatile as a role player can get before being considered something else.

I think Parsons does too much and is too good to be considered a role player.

rockets-fan
04-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Easy choices for me

Parsons

Batum

Leonard

Klay T

Beverly (3 is improving game by game, reminds me of a pg battier)

Edit: Hayward, completely forgot this kid.

Spanklin
04-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Gordon Hayward. I realize he's been there go to guy, but he's really a strong role player being misused atm. 18/5/5 next season he will be the standard answer to this question.

My #2 is Monta Ellis. Dude is killing it this year.

Method28
04-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Homer pick I'll go with Matt Barnes.

KnicksorBust
04-16-2014, 05:23 PM
Only name that came to mind that wasn't mentioned was Terrence Ross. Capable of exploding offensively and can defend multiple positions.

BALLER R
04-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Wouldn't a "Role Player" be someone that isn't a starter or the 6th man. I'm just thinking of in 2K when you set player roles.

Usually goes

Star
starter
6th man
Role Player

valade16
04-16-2014, 05:30 PM
I don't consider any of those guys role players. Those guys are all potential all stars.

The point of a role player is that they aren't versatile; they play a role. Obviously some are more versatile than others, which is probably what you're getting at.

I don't really think of Leonard or LS as role players, you may not consider them 'stars' but they are better than role players.

I agree with Huntey. A role player is NOT a borderline all star (Batum, Leonard).

Isn't the title contradictory? Role player is someone who does one thing really well...if you're versatile, you're better than a role player. I wouldn't qualify batum or Parsons as role players.

I will never for the life of me understand why people on this forum are so much more interested in debating semantics then they are actual basketball.

I further clarified in my post role-player OR “non-star”. I threw the multiple classifications for this very reason: people have wildly divergent opinions on who is a superstar, a star, a borderline all-star, a role player, etc. If I had said the most versatile player everyone would pick LBJ. If I said non-superstar people would be saying Carmelo Anthony or someone of that caliber.

I was intentionally trying to find the most versatile players who are not stars (as in the #1 or #2 option on most of their respective teams). Most of the guys named in here in fact. If you want to say Parsons and Batum are borderline All-Stars that’s your opinion and I really don’t care if you try to get into the minutiae of exactly what players is what. Unless you want to argue they are stars then they belong in this consideration.

The point is, who is the most versatile non-star caliber player, be they a role-player, a blossoming young player who is not yet a star, or a “borderline all-star”. Also, a point of clarification, you can in fact have a versatile role player if that players role is to be a jack of all trades.

naps
04-16-2014, 05:56 PM
People are seriously mentioning potential future all-stars here as role players? May be OP needs to address his definition of a role player before we answer anything here.

Anyways, from my point of view, Boris Diaw is by far the most versatile role player in the league.

valade16
04-16-2014, 05:58 PM
People are seriously mentioning potential future all-stars here as role players? May be OP needs to address his definition of a role player before we answer anything here.

Anyways, from my point of view, Boris Diaw is by far the most versatile role player in the league.

Literally the post above yours.

I will never for the life of me understand why people on this forum are so much more interested in debating semantics then they are actual basketball.

I further clarified in my post role-player OR “non-star”. I threw the multiple classifications for this very reason: people have wildly divergent opinions on who is a superstar, a star, a borderline all-star, a role player, etc. If I had said the most versatile player everyone would pick LBJ. If I said non-superstar people would be saying Carmelo Anthony or someone of that caliber.

I was intentionally trying to find the most versatile players who are not stars (as in the #1 or #2 option on most of their respective teams). Most of the guys named in here in fact. If you want to say Parsons and Batum are borderline All-Stars that’s your opinion and I really don’t care if you try to get into the minutiae of exactly what players is what. Unless you want to argue they are stars then they belong in this consideration.

The point is, who is the most versatile non-star caliber player, be they a role-player, a blossoming young player who is not yet a star, or a “borderline all-star”. Also, a point of clarification, you can in fact have a versatile role player if that players role is to be a jack of all trades.

Master Mind
04-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Gordon Hayward

valade16
04-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Gordon Hayward

Haven't seen much of him, when I did he seemed completely overwhelmed like he clearly had to do more than he is capable of on that team; they need to get him some help bad.

Also, Boris Diaw is a great pick, he can really do almost everything at a decent rate.

Supreme LA
04-16-2014, 07:53 PM
If Lamar Odom returns to form he should get some recognition.