PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo has to end up on the Bulls

randyorton33
04-14-2014, 05:36 PM
There is no better place for him, he has to end up with one of these teams....not the Lakers though. There is no way he stays in NY either.

http://www.balldontstop.com/top-5-free-agency-destinations-carmelo-anthony/

NYJ - NYY
04-14-2014, 05:37 PM
I bet he stays in NY... Hopefully wishing favorite player but still think he stays and retires a knick... But everyone is entitled to their opinion

goingfor28
04-14-2014, 05:38 PM
I think he stays in NY too

RateSports
04-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Melo will leave barring some kind of magic trick by Phil Jackson (ie. LBJ).

P&GRealist
04-14-2014, 05:50 PM
There is no better place for him, he has to end up with one of these teams....not the Lakers though. There is no way he stays in NY either.

You're the worst recruiter I've ever seen.

AddiX
04-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Melo wants his $, don't ever forget that.

abe_froman
04-14-2014, 05:54 PM
he has to? is someone holding a gun to his head or something?

i'm a bulls fan,and i'd welcome him,but we arent the only option.

DillyDill
04-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Money aside and strictly contending for years to come Rockets and Bulls make toooooooooo much sense. I'd be shocked if he returned to NY even with Genius Phil there.

R. Johnson#3
04-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Chicago is the best fit for him because he won't have to worry about playing defense.

archdevil84
04-14-2014, 06:15 PM
i hope he stays in NY

JordansBulls
04-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Not making the playoffs this year will certainly be big in his decision.

jimm120
04-14-2014, 06:22 PM

He already played 3 1/2 years with a damaged star player (amare). Do you think he wants another 4 years of playing with a damaged star (Rose)?

Well, that's the only downside to it all. That aside, they're a great team with a great coach. A lot of defense.

FlashBolt
04-14-2014, 06:25 PM
LAL? Why. It's a long process there that might see him winning a ring in a few YEARS. Not to mention he is getting older and with Durant going berserk, chances are he won't beat OKC. LAL needs to be a contender without Melo because Melo+Bryant+a high draft pick is not enough to win for the next 2-3 years.

Bulls makes sense but Derrick Rose is a fishy situation. Not much on what his progress is like and he's clearly not going to be as great as he was. No offense to Rose but he wouldn't even be a top 5 PG when he comes back. Joakim Noah, Gibson, Butler, Thibs. Sounds good but do they even have the cap space? I know Boozer contract ends next year so they must be filled.

Knicks aren't going to do much damage, sorry. Amare isn't getting better. Chandler is Chandler. Who else? Woodson getting replaced by? J.R. Smith is still going to be an inconsistent chucker. This team currently won't solve a thing while next year will pretty much be better but not enough to win. Phil Jackson might be more of a reputation figure than an acting figure. He's just there to convince other superstars that it's about winning and pop out his rings. Not going to be enough to actually win, clearly.

The teams that I can see him fitting in with are the Miami Heat ( Very possible considering only 3 of their players are going to be on the team next season ), GSW ( They certainly have the cap space ), Phoenix can give it a shot if they can grab a legitimate center.

Kashmir13579
04-14-2014, 06:42 PM
Melo wants his $, don't ever forget that. s&t for butler and picks

smith&wesson
04-14-2014, 06:43 PM
bulls and clippers make the most sense.

both teams need an upgarde at the sf position and both teams hang their hats on D. Thats pretty much what melo needs, right fit and right system.

FlashBolt
04-14-2014, 06:46 PM
bulls and clippers make the most sense.

both teams need an upgarde at the sf position and both teams hang their hats on D. Thats pretty much what melo needs, right fit and right system.

How the hell do you expect LAC to sign him with the amount of money they're already paying Paul, Andre, and Blake? They consume around $50 million with the rest of the roster taking $23 million.

Kaner
04-14-2014, 06:53 PM
I think really Melo just needs to get out of NY. If he wants to go to a team of winners and take them over the top then he'd go to the Bulls.

If he's patient enough to go through a rebuild with young talent and alot of capspace for maneuverability he'd go to Philladelphia.

If he wants money he'll stay in New York.

FlashBolt
04-14-2014, 06:56 PM
I think really Melo just needs to get out of NY. If he wants to go to a team of winners and take them over the top then he'd go to the Bulls.

If he's patient enough to go through a rebuild with young talent and alot of capspace for maneuverability he'd go to Philladelphia.

If he wants money he'll stay in New York.

If he wants money, he comes to LAL.

Kaner
04-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Can someone please explain to me the advantage of staying in New york vs going to Philadelphia in 2015. That seems like a no brainer. More capspace and a LOT more young talent.

tp13baby
04-14-2014, 07:09 PM
He already played 3 1/2 years with a damaged star player (amare). Do you think he wants another 4 years of playing with a damaged star (Rose)?

Well, that's the only downside to it all. That aside, they're a great team with a great coach. A lot of defense.

Doesn't matter. Noah would be the best player Melo has played with his entire career outside of AI and Chauncey.

abe_froman
04-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Can someone please explain to me the advantage of staying in New york vs going to Philadelphia in 2015. That seems like a no brainer. More capspace and a LOT more young talent.
better media exposure,more attractive fa destination....but philly is in a lot better position to succeed than ny in the near future

Deadpool
04-14-2014, 07:12 PM
If he stays in NY, he might as well just opt-in. If he leaves its got to be Chicago or Houston if they can free up some cap space.

shep33
04-14-2014, 07:27 PM
I think he stays but also think that its the wrong move for both Anthony and the Knicks

FYL_McVeezy
04-14-2014, 07:28 PM

He doesn't want to live in Philly.

It comes down to these teams(in no particular order): NYK, Bulls, Rockets, Clips. That's it.

Slug3
04-14-2014, 07:42 PM
I dont see Melo leaving the east with how much easier the path would be. So really its just NY or the Bulls.

TheMightyHumph
04-14-2014, 07:47 PM

Depends if he wants the most money

FriedTofuz
04-14-2014, 07:53 PM
The reason people dont want him on the bulls ( heat fans) is because they know a team like chicago with a healthy Rose + Melo will be a championship

FYL_McVeezy
04-14-2014, 07:58 PM
The reason people dont want him on the bulls ( heat fans) is because they know a team like chicago with a healthy Rose + Melo will be a championship

It will be interesting if he goes to Chi town because he will be fresh off of another situation where injuries hurt his championship chances....

3RDASYSTEM
04-14-2014, 07:58 PM
Melo wants his $, don't ever forget that.

but those la/nyc taxes are lethal

I heard bean Bryant after taxes was getting like 10-12mil after taxes on 24mill salary, no wonder HOWARD/BRON ran to TEX/FL, and both took less money but the tax thing makes it less of a hit

athletes love the majority of they money, after taxes that is so I feel at least 2-3 other teams are in the mix to scoop up MELO, but I hope he stay in nyc and finish what he basically messed up by not waiting until season was over to opt out and play for a much stronger support cast instead of a gutted up one that he basically created

GiantsSwaGG
04-14-2014, 08:15 PM
Not making the playoffs this year will certainly be big in his decision.

You can have Melo, we'll take Bulter, Boozer and your picks.

GiantsSwaGG
04-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Watch everyone love Melo and call him a top 5 player once he leaves NY :laugh2: if you really pay attention to this season he's not worth the max

cssdmark
04-14-2014, 08:23 PM
I say Phoenix or New Orleans

cssdmark
04-14-2014, 08:33 PM
He'll to the no I would rather trade with Houston. Butler and Boozer whew. How many 2015 expirings do we need. Bargs, Stat and Chandler are not enough.

Starting lineup
Felton/Prigs
Jr/Tim Jr
Butler/Shump
Boozer/Stat
Chandler/Aldrich

What are we going to score a robust 60 points a game. Sounds good. If I am Phil I give Dolan his money back and go meditate in Montana.

Ill21
04-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Watch everyone love Melo and call him a top 5 player once he leaves NY :laugh2: if you really pay attention to this season he's not worth the max

Same thing happened with Gallo

king4day
04-14-2014, 09:10 PM
I agree Chicago is the best option but I'm surprised Phoenix isn't in there. Bledsoe/Dragic/Tucker/Melo/Plumlee.
That would be a very difficult team to defend.

cssdmark
04-14-2014, 09:25 PM
New Orleans

Holiday
Evans
Melo
Anderson
Davis

DeyAce
04-14-2014, 09:33 PM
I bet he goes to Houston

koreancabbage
04-14-2014, 10:46 PM
Same thing happened with Gallo

you guys said THJ was untradeable.

end of that debate.

smiddy012
04-14-2014, 11:12 PM
People who would fault Melo for joining another injury-prone star in Rose, fail to realize how much greater a Roseless Bulls is (than any Knicks team Melos played on).

JasonJohnHorn
04-15-2014, 03:42 PM
NY's best case scenario is a sign-and-trade where they dump Melo and get something back.

In that case, I think moving him to the Rockets is the best option. They have Harden and Dwight already, adding Melo would be an appealing enough opportunity that I think the Rockets and Melo would both try to make it work, and the Knicks could get back Parsons and Jones, or maybe one of those two and Asik.

I don't think that Rockets roster would work mind you, but I think the star power alone would blind people into ignoring that, and the Knicks could get some great pieces back and clear some cap space.

I don't know any other team that would do as well as the Rockets in terms of a deal for NY, or a team that has enough star power to draw Melo.

Melo to Chicago doesn't make sense. Melo won't know if Rose is healthy, Thibs is a defensive coach, and Noah and Rose share the ball.... Melo would not fit their defensive scheme, and his iso game would stop the ball movement, which is what make the Bulls so good.

D-Leethal
04-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Chicago is a better fit for him than Houston. Too many finesse guys around him in HOU. He needs to be built around similarly to AI - with blue collar guys who don't take a play off around and play with nonstop intensity. Not sure there is a better player to put next to him in the entire league than Joakim Noah.

meloman1592
04-15-2014, 03:50 PM
NY's best case scenario is a sign-and-trade where they dump Melo and get something back.

In that case, I think moving him to the Rockets is the best option. They have Harden and Dwight already, adding Melo would be an appealing enough opportunity that I think the Rockets and Melo would both try to make it work, and the Knicks could get back Parsons and Jones, or maybe one of those two and Asik.

I don't think that Rockets roster would work mind you, but I think the star power alone would blind people into ignoring that, and the Knicks could get some great pieces back and clear some cap space.

I don't know any other team that would do as well as the Rockets in terms of a deal for NY, or a team that has enough star power to draw Melo.

Melo to Chicago doesn't make sense. Melo won't know if Rose is healthy, Thibs is a defensive coach, and Noah and Rose share the ball.... Melo would not fit their defensive scheme, and his iso game would stop the ball movement, which is what make the Bulls so good.

So he should join another isolation oriented team that plays no defense. Brilliant

Iron24th
04-15-2014, 04:04 PM
He'll stay in NY, Phil will promise him a much better team and coach, and when Phil is talking to you, you listen.

KnIckFaN.2883
04-15-2014, 04:10 PM
LAL? Why. It's a long process there that might see him winning a ring in a few YEARS. Not to mention he is getting older and with Durant going berserk, chances are he won't beat OKC. LAL needs to be a contender without Melo because Melo+Bryant+a high draft pick is not enough to win for the next 2-3 years.

Bulls makes sense but Derrick Rose is a fishy situation. Not much on what his progress is like and he's clearly not going to be as great as he was. No offense to Rose but he wouldn't even be a top 5 PG when he comes back. Joakim Noah, Gibson, Butler, Thibs. Sounds good but do they even have the cap space? I know Boozer contract ends next year so they must be filled.

Knicks aren't going to do much damage, sorry. Amare isn't getting better. Chandler is Chandler. Who else? Woodson getting replaced by? J.R. Smith is still going to be an inconsistent chucker. This team currently won't solve a thing while next year will pretty much be better but not enough to win. Phil Jackson might be more of a reputation figure than an acting figure. He's just there to convince other superstars that it's about winning and pop out his rings. Not going to be enough to actually win, clearly.

The teams that I can see him fitting in with are the Miami Heat ( Very possible considering only 3 of their players are going to be on the team next season ), GSW ( They certainly have the cap space ), Phoenix can give it a shot if they can grab a legitimate center..
You realize that in 2015 most of the Knick roster won't be here right.there be 60 million under the cap.

Dade County
04-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Houston or the Clippers would be good for him.

therealwd27
04-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Not that I believe him but Bill Simmons seems to think Melo,LBJ,Bosh and Wade will all take less money to play together. Would be crazy to say the least

D-Leethal
04-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Not that I believe him but Bill Simmons seems to think Melo,LBJ,Bosh and Wade will all take less money to play together. Would be crazy to say the least

That would be a whole new level of pathetic.

TheIlladelph16
04-15-2014, 04:34 PM
You realize that in 2015 most of the Knick roster won't be here right.there be 60 million under the cap.

Cap room is great, but the Knicks not only lack it in the short term, they also lack talent. $60 million can buy you a lot, but when your team is an aging Melo and cap space, why would a superstar go there?

I understand the Phil Jackson argument, and I'm sure that will be a major factor for Melo when he makes his decision. You'd just better hope Phil rebuilds that team really quickly with limited resources to do it (cap, draft picks) because Melo isn't getting any younger. His window to win one as the man is slowly shutting, if it hasn't already.

therealwd27
04-15-2014, 04:35 PM
That would be a whole new level of pathetic.

Yea would definitely be interesting just saying I'm sure there are teams who are not listed, those 5 are just the most obvious. The Heat will have a open check book basically I think only Cole on payroll next year.

DillyDill
04-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Yea would definitely be interesting just saying I'm sure there are teams who are not listed, those 5 are just the most obvious. The Heat will have a open check book basically I think only Cole on payroll next year.
I wouldn't rule anything out. I didn't think the Big 3 would happen and it did, so why not take it up a notch to 4. Any and everything is possible

TylerSL
04-15-2014, 05:37 PM
I bet he stays in New York. If I would guess, Melo does not opt out this year to see what Phil can do in the offseason. Melo wants to stay in New York but if he does leave he will want to wait til 2015 when other guys such as Love/Rondo/Aldridge/Parker/Gasol/Dragic are free agents. It is possible that Lebron/Wade/Bosh will be free agents as well.

If New York is not competitive by next year then I do believe he will probably leave. If he waits til 2015 he could attempt to lure Free Agents to New York instead of leaving (much how Wade did for Miami in 2010). The only way Melo leaves New York is if he feels he will never win a title. Lebron did not want to leave Cleveland, but had to to win. If Melo leaves the Knicks it will be for the same reason Lebron left Cleveland. 2014 is not going to be the Free Agent class people thought, rather 2015 is the big free agency year.

Crackadalic
04-15-2014, 05:56 PM
It could make sense if we know rose is back to MVP form but if not melo is going back to his ISO ways.

His whole beef is he can never have that secondary scorer to relive him from doing too much on offense.

In Chicago yeah he has more defensive players but their not scorers and when people double team him who on that roster will make the other team pay?

As bad as the knicks are since the Bargs injury were around top 5 in offensive efficiency

If anything I can see him going to Houston more then anything

If all else fails he stays in NY

FOBolous
04-15-2014, 06:05 PM
If he wants money, he comes to LAL.

Why? NYC is a bigger market. And the Knicks has to be incredibly stupid to let melo walk to a conference rival.

mRc08
04-15-2014, 06:30 PM
It would be bold of him to come to chicago. I don't really see it happening unfortunately, though I would love for it to happen. Rather, I see him staying and continuing the saga with phil. I think phil is too intriguing for him to leave, at least without giving it a shot. Plus factor in the money differences yadda yadda yadda.

I think if we knew rose was going to be similar to what he was before injuries the decision would be much easier for Carmello. I know that derrick plans on playing this summer with the U.S. team. I'm not sure of time frame, but I wonder if Melo might wait to make any kind of decision until he see's d-rose back on the court. If I were him, the health of D-Rose would be one of the biggest factors in my decision. If Rose cannot return to form or gets inured again, the Bulls are going to be in one of the worst situations in the entire league given his contract, and I am not sure Melo will take that gamble.

Slug3
04-15-2014, 06:35 PM
I could also see him not opting out and giving Phil a year to get some people around him then if not leave after.

numba1CHANGsta
04-15-2014, 07:06 PM
I don't see him going to the Lakers
I don't see him staying in NY
I don't see the Clippers trading Blake Griffin just to sign Melo
I don't see what team in their right minds would trade for Asik and Lin's overrated contracts.
He will be a Bull: Rose/Melo/Noah the next big three in the East as I see Bosh leaving Miami and LeBron 50/50 chance depending if they win or lose in the playoffs.

mightybosstone
04-15-2014, 07:21 PM
My own bias aside, I honestly think Houston makes the most sense from pretty much every angle. They have more than enough assets to make that deal work, and they could probably net Melo without having to give up Parsons by dealing Lin, Asik, Jones and multiple draft picks. A small ball lineup with Parsons at the 3 and Melo at the 4 would be absolutely deadly. Plus, you don't have to worry about the health of Houston's stars. Dwight may only have 3-4 great years left in him, but he's not dealing with nearly the injury concerns that Rose is.

The question is whether or not Les Alexander is willing to go over the luxury tax, because a team with Harden, Dwight and Melo is going to cost some serious money, Parsons' contract is up this offseason, AND Beverley is likely to make a fat payday next year when his free agency rolls around. They could end up paying $75-$80 million a year just on those five guys.

All this being said, I still think there's a good chance he stays in New York. It just depends on whether Phil wants to rebuild around whatever pieces he can get for Melo and draft picks or if he wants to try and contend ASAP with Melo as a star who can recruit other star players in 2015.

Crackadalic
04-15-2014, 07:40 PM
My own bias aside, I honestly think Houston makes the most sense from pretty much every angle. They have more than enough assets to make that deal work, and they could probably net Melo without having to give up Parsons by dealing Lin, Asik, Jones and multiple draft picks. A small ball lineup with Parsons at the 3 and Melo at the 4 would be absolutely deadly. Plus, you don't have to worry about the health of Houston's stars. Dwight may only have 3-4 great years left in him, but he's not dealing with nearly the injury concerns that Rose is.

The question is whether or not Les Alexander is willing to go over the luxury tax, because a team with Harden, Dwight and Melo is going to cost some serious money, Parsons' contract is up this offseason, AND Beverley is likely to make a fat payday next year when his free agency rolls around. They could end up paying $75-$80 million a year just on those five guys.

All this being said, I still think there's a good chance he stays in New York. It just depends on whether Phil wants to rebuild around whatever pieces he can get for Melo and draft picks or if he wants to try and contend ASAP with Melo as a star who can recruit other star players in 2015.

IMO I feel like he resigns in NY

I do love getting your guys for melo since Houston has the most to offer

Melo is conflicted with winning and winning in NY. Phil Jackson might be one of those things that can help him

One thing I'm sure. He is not going to the bulls unless he knows rose will be the rose of old. They have even less offensive creators and melo isn't having that. Harden/melo makes more sense to me

TylerSL
04-15-2014, 10:50 PM
I don't see him going to the Lakers
I don't see him staying in NY
I don't see the Clippers trading Blake Griffin just to sign Melo
I don't see what team in their right minds would trade for Asik and Lin's overrated contracts.
He will be a Bull: Rose/Melo/Noah the next big three in the East as I see Bosh leaving Miami and LeBron 50/50 chance depending if they win or lose in the playoffs.

no

clutchfan
04-15-2014, 11:33 PM
The question is whether or not Les Alexander is willing to go over the luxury tax.

“I have enough money, but I don’t have enough championships,” Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said. “If you’re not in it to win championships, you shouldn’t be in it.”

Alexander said he could not comment about any detail of the Rockets’ free-agency plans, including the planned presentation to players. But he said he hopes to have the sort of team to dramatically increase the team’s payroll, including paying a luxury tax.

“I would be thrilled to pay a tax if we have a championship-caliber team,” Alexander said. “Obviously, you have to get the players to pay the taxes. You have to get great players; otherwise, you’re just spinning your wheels. When you get the great players, you don’t want to lose them. You have to pay whatever it takes to keep them. That’s when it becomes really fun to be an owner and to be a fan of the Rockets.

mightybosstone
04-16-2014, 09:31 AM
“I have enough money, but I don’t have enough championships,” Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said. “If you’re not in it to win championships, you shouldn’t be in it.”

Alexander said he could not comment about any detail of the Rockets’ free-agency plans, including the planned presentation to players. But he said he hopes to have the sort of team to dramatically increase the team’s payroll, including paying a luxury tax.

“I would be thrilled to pay a tax if we have a championship-caliber team,” Alexander said. “Obviously, you have to get the players to pay the taxes. You have to get great players; otherwise, you’re just spinning your wheels. When you get the great players, you don’t want to lose them. You have to pay whatever it takes to keep them. That’s when it becomes really fun to be an owner and to be a fan of the Rockets.

Yeah, I think all Rockets fans have seen or hear Alexander say that at this point. But the question is whether or not it's actually true. Because to keep Harden, Howard, Parsons and Beverley on the roster AND add Melo, they would have to be willing to go way over the luxury tax in the process. And luxury tax penalties have become so harsh that a lot of owners would not be willing to pay it. Plus, he'd probably have to suffer those penalties for several years.

I'm not ruling it out, but I think keeping all five of those guys together on the same roster would be very, very difficult. And if I have to chose between adding Melo or keeping Beverley and Parsons in the long run, a big part of me would rather keep those two guys.

DChibes
04-16-2014, 10:14 AM

Why would we give you guys anything for a guy that is going to walk and we can have for free?

mightybosstone
04-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Why would we give you guys anything for a guy that is going to walk and we can have for free?

Well, the Bulls would have to give New York SOMETHING, because they actually can't get Melo for free. Right now, Chicago is sitting at $64.3 million in contracts next season. Even with an amnesty of Boozer's last year ($16.8 million), that's not enough to get far enough under the salary cap to offer Melo a legitimate deal. So the Knicks do have SOME leverage in this. If Chicago, Houston or another suitor doesn't offer up enough in a sign and trade, New York can refuse to do the deal and make Melo pick a team that has to sign him out right in free agency. However, if he does that, New York gets absolutely no assets in return for him, so their leverage is somewhat limited. The Knicks aren't going to get the package that Denver got for him years ago, but they'll definitely get some decent assets in a sign and trade.

sep11ie
04-16-2014, 10:39 AM
MBT, I'm surprised you are in favor of Melo.

mRc08
04-16-2014, 10:39 AM
The bulls should be willing to give up anyone not named noah or rose. Still, if melo is going to be willing to leave NY to win, I would imagine he wouldn't want to break up the current roster of the team he is going to. It still ultimately comes down to winning vs. money. He can't really have his cake and eat it too.

Pierzynski4Prez
04-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Well, the Bulls would have to give New York SOMETHING, because they actually can't get Melo for free. Right now, Chicago is sitting at $64.3 million in contracts next season. Even with an amnesty of Boozer's last year ($16.8 million), that's not enough to get far enough under the salary cap to offer Melo a legitimate deal. So the Knicks do have SOME leverage in this. If Chicago, Houston or another suitor doesn't offer up enough in a sign and trade, New York can refuse to do the deal and make Melo pick a team that has to sign him out right in free agency. However, if he does that, New York gets absolutely no assets in return for him, so their leverage is somewhat limited. The Knicks aren't going to get the package that Denver got for him years ago, but they'll definitely get some decent assets in a sign and trade.

The bulls can attempt to move assets without NY getting involved. Dunleavy and his 3 million expiring could potentially be moved. The bulls could try to sell high on Taj Gibson too. I don't want do move Taj necessarily, but they could try to do it and obtain a TPE in the process along with a pick(s).

If the Bulls move Taj, they have the room to get Melo. Maybe not a max, but decent enough.

Max.This
04-16-2014, 10:50 AM

I think if a trade were to go down parsons would be involved solely because of T Jones having the longer rookie contract. As much as owners say they are willing to pay over the tax ,the very idea of having close to a Nets type of payroll will make any owner cringe.

Max.This
04-16-2014, 10:56 AM
The bulls can attempt to move assets without NY getting involved. Dunleavy and his 3 million expiring could potentially be moved. The bulls could try to sell high on Taj Gibson too. I don't want do move Taj necessarily, but they could try to do it and obtain a TPE in the process along with a pick(s).

If the Bulls move Taj, they have the room to get Melo. Maybe not a max, but decent enough.

How much of a paycut do you think Melo is willing to take? Essentially by signing on with a different team he loses out on the 5th year in the range of 25-30 mil and thats not even counting the discount he is already taking on a year to year basis. When he ends his 4 year contract he will be 35. What team is going to give a 35 year old a 1 year 25mil deal. This is Melo's last opportunity to make as much money as he possibly can and if you honestly believe he is willing to take that kind of dramatic paycut imagine your boss coming up to you and asking you to take a 10% paycut or even a 5%

Pierzynski4Prez
04-16-2014, 11:14 AM
How much of a paycut do you think Melo is willing to take? Essentially by signing on with a different team he loses out on the 5th year in the range of 25-30 mil and thats not even counting the discount he is already taking on a year to year basis. When he ends his 4 year contract he will be 35. What team is going to give a 35 year old a 1 year 25mil deal. This is Melo's last opportunity to make as much money as he possibly can and if you honestly believe he is willing to take that kind of dramatic paycut imagine your boss coming up to you and asking you to take a 10% paycut or even a 5%

If during the last 10 years, I had made over 135 million from just Basketball, at least another 100 from a shoe contract, along with other endorsements pushing my career earnings right at or probably above 250 million, I would certainly accept my next contract being 4 years/75-80 million as opposed to 5/130 (which he already said he wasn't going to ask for) if it gave me a very strong possibility to win a championship(s).

Nobody is asking him to take a pay cut. As soon as he opts out, he doesn't have a contract and is only worth what he is offered. With a team like the Bulls, its take it or leave it. But adding Melo to a 50 win team, that also has the ability to add Derrick Rose, two 1st round picks, and the rights to the best Euro player sounds worth it to me.

mightybosstone
04-16-2014, 12:25 PM
MBT, I'm surprised you are in favor of Melo.
I'm on the fence about it. There's no denying that Melo is a phenomenal scorer, and he would be a great stretch 4 next to Dwight. The defense would suffer a bit, but it's not as if Jones or D-Mo are killing it on that end of the floor anyway. And I do think he'd be willing to sacrifice his points and shots in favor of a championship or two. My biggest concern would be how much he would cost long-term and what kind of effect he would have on the rest of the core. If Parsons is involved, I'm not interested. If Parsons and Beverley can't be kept in the long run, I'm not interested.

I do think there are better fits out there than Melo for this team, but I just don't see Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge being feasible acquisitions right now. I'd also greatly prefer Chris Bosh, but I don't see him leaving Miami if Lebron stays. Melo would be a hell of a Plan B. I'd also be okay sticking with the current core, but we have yet to see what this group can accomplish in the playoffs.

I'm not quite sure what the max is for a player of Melo's tenure, but I'm guessing it would be close to what Dwight just got, which is basically $20.5 million for the first year of the deal. Assuming the cap stays around $58 million, Chicago could completely get rid of Boozer and Gibson's contracts and STILL not have enough for a max. They'd have to get rid of both of those guys and at least one more player, and take back not a single cent in return. That's going to be pretty damn close to impossible.

I think if a trade were to go down parsons would be involved solely because of T Jones having the longer rookie contract. As much as owners say they are willing to pay over the tax ,the very idea of having close to a Nets type of payroll will make any owner cringe.

What? This makes no sense. You say that the Knicks would rather have Parsons because Jones has the longer rookie contract, but then say the Knicks wouldn't want to have a payroll like the Nets. That makes no sense. You realize that Parsons is a free agent after this season and is going to make a ton of money, right? At least Jones is locked into another year after next.

If the Knicks are looking to keep their cap low, Jones makes far more sense than Parsons does right now. But I think it's a moot point, because there's little to no chance Daryl Morey will deal Parsons. He's the glue guy that keeps the personalities together and he was instrumental in getting Howard to Houston.

Pierzynski4Prez
04-16-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm not quite sure what the max is for a player of Melo's tenure, but I'm guessing it would be close to what Dwight just got, which is basically $20.5 million for the first year of the deal. Assuming the cap stays around $58 million, Chicago could completely get rid of Boozer and Gibson's contracts and STILL not have enough for a max. They'd have to get rid of both of those guys and at least one more player, and take back not a single cent in return. That's going to be pretty damn close to impossible.

The Bulls won't be offering Melo the Max. They probably won't even try to move Taj to free up space. They can amnesty Boozer and try to move Dunleavy, and offer Melo a half-respectable contract. A 1st year salary of about 14-15 mil (same as LBJ, Wade, Bosh 1st year salaries in 10-11) with 10% yearly increases.

The Bulls have many options this summer of ways they can improve what is already a top team and this isn't the only route they can go, which is why they won't just salary dump guys to give Melo more money, nor will they send over say Butler and multiple Picks for Melo to NY like many people want to think.

The Bulls can also just use that room to bring over Mirotic, and add another quality FA to the team (i.e. stephenson). We have two 1st round picks this year, two 1st round picks next year to play around with as well to make a run at Love.

They likely don't even need max money to offer to Melo. Melo already said he'd take a pay cut to win. And if he'd take a paycut in NY to win where he basically has to waste the a season, I think he'd take a little more to join Chicago. We'll find out how much he meant in a few months.

Stunner
04-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Yea the bulls will be in a good spot with or without Melo. Bulls would love to to do a sign and trade to keep their mid level flex but if NY doesn't want to which I doubt they would say no then they have no say in what they want to get back especially if Melo really wants to come even then they don't have a say . Most likely get Booz , Snell and the Bulls 1st for Melo if it came down to it . If not then Melo could just sign with them on a respectable contract . It would shock a lot of people if Melo takes a non harmful contract to win instead of gutting the team . I think he's learned that from the Denver situation .

Max.This
04-16-2014, 01:23 PM
What? This makes no sense. You say that the Knicks would rather have Parsons because Jones has the longer rookie contract, but then say the Knicks wouldn't want to have a payroll like the Nets. That makes no sense. You realize that Parsons is a free agent after this season and is going to make a ton of money, right? At least Jones is locked into another year after next.

If the Knicks are looking to keep their cap low, Jones makes far more sense than Parsons does right now. But I think it's a moot point, because there's little to no chance Daryl Morey will deal Parsons. He's the glue guy that keeps the personalities together and he was instrumental in getting Howard to Houston.

You clearly misunderstood me. I'm saying that Houston would probaby rather give up Parsons as opposed to Jones due to T Jones longer rookie contract. This would help Houston , if they acquired melo via sign and trade, to avoid paying heavy tax for Parson's new contract. I 'm saying that paying Parsons, Melo, Dwight, Harden would be very costly and Houston would be looking at a nets type of payroll, which no owner besides prokorov is willing to do

Max.This
04-16-2014, 01:32 PM
If during the last 10 years, I had made over 135 million from just Basketball, at least another 100 from a shoe contract, along with other endorsements pushing my career earnings right at or probably above 250 million, I would certainly accept my next contract being 4 years/75-80 million as opposed to 5/130 (which he already said he wasn't going to ask for) if it gave me a very strong possibility to win a championship(s).

Nobody is asking him to take a pay cut. As soon as he opts out, he doesn't have a contract and is only worth what he is offered. With a team like the Bulls, its take it or leave it. But adding Melo to a 50 win team, that also has the ability to add Derrick Rose, two 1st round picks, and the rights to the best Euro player sounds worth it to me.

No you wouldnt. I trust you are a guy who makes a decent income and have bills to pay. You don't live the lavish lifestyle that these people do. They don't just go to the club and get a couple shots, they drop thousands on bottles. Eating at mcdonalds? No they go to fancy restaurants and vacation in fancy resorts. Look, I go back to this example because it is absolutely relevant. If your boss came up to you and asked u to take a 10% paycut you would be extremely hesitant. Wade, LEbron, Bosh took like a 1-2 mil paycut. That is absolutely nothing to them. You're asking him to walk away from tens of millions. I'm not saying he won't take a paycut, but don't expect anyone to just leave that kind of money on the table. Its just not that realistic. Nothing is for sure, especially health so if he takes a 4 year deal and gets injured year 4, noone is going to pay him anything close to what he could be making that 5th year.

P&GRealist
04-16-2014, 01:38 PM
I do think Melo goes to the Bulls