PDA

View Full Version : Do you see Steph Curry outdoing Kobe's 81?

kobe4thewinbang
04-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Well, do you? The dude is unreal. I could see him nailing 25 three pointers in a game against the Lakers or something, ironically enough.

JLynn943
04-14-2014, 02:11 PM
If anyone in the league right now does it, it would probably be Durant

Very unlikely in any case

kobe4thewinbang
04-14-2014, 02:14 PM
If anyone in the league right now does it, it would probably be Durant

Very unlikely in any caseI could see Durant doing it, but once Curry gets hot, he just lets it rain.

LakeShowRaider
04-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Wilt scored 100 in 1962. It took 46 years for someone to crack 80. Only 3 players other than Wilt scored 70 plus. That should answer your question.

P&GRealist
04-14-2014, 02:29 PM
It's hard to sustain that energy and put up that many shots. Also, you have to see in what context Kobe had the 81. The Lakers were down by as many as 24 or so in that game midway thru the 2nd qtr before he started going off.

The right situation must entail for a player to be justified in putting up that many shots. If it's a comeback situation, absolutely, Curry and Durant have a shot. But in any other situation, I doubt the coach allows that.

kobe4thewinbang
04-14-2014, 02:33 PM
It's hard to sustain that energy and put up that many shots. Also, you have to see in what context Kobe had the 81. The Lakers were down by as many as 24 or so in that game midway thru the 2nd qtr before he started going off.

The right situation must entail for a player to be justified in putting up that many shots. If it's a comeback situation, absolutely, Curry and Durant have a shot. But in any other situation, I doubt the coach allows that.For sure. It would be pretty wild if someone got closer to 100 *and* won the game.

GiantsSwaGG
04-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Only person I can think of outdoing Kobe's 81 pt game is Mike James

PhillyFaninLA
04-14-2014, 02:48 PM
In today's NBA (even when Kobe did it) its nothing to be proud of.....incredible to do yes but unbelievably selfish.

When Wilt put up 100 his team had 169 and he had 4 teammates in double figures. You don't put up game totals like 169 that often, heck 120 and 130 aren't all that common but happen every year. To put up that many points when you team scores 100 is being a selfish player.

Could Curry do it, not on a playoff team....could he do it on the right night if his team was horrible sure, why not he has the ability.

FOBolous
04-14-2014, 02:55 PM
of course. Curry's the 2nd coming of Mike James. GOAT status.

oh and #fullsquad, guys!

Hawkeye15
04-14-2014, 02:57 PM
I will be somewhat shocked if anyone tops Kobe's 81 going forward.

P&GRealist
04-14-2014, 03:11 PM
In today's NBA (even when Kobe did it) its nothing to be proud of.....incredible to do yes but unbelievably selfish.

When Wilt put up 100 his team had 169 and he had 4 teammates in double figures. You don't put up game totals like 169 that often, heck 120 and 130 aren't all that common but happen every year. To put up that many points when you team scores 100 is being a selfish player.

Could Curry do it, not on a playoff team....could he do it on the right night if his team was horrible sure, why not he has the ability.
The Lakers were down 26 in the 2nd qtr.

Did you even watch the game or are you just spewing out verbal diarrhea like always?

Tony_Starks
04-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Never happen.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Mozgod

ManRam
04-14-2014, 03:52 PM
The volume is something that I think will just about keep anyone from approaching it. Kobe took 46 shots to get to 81. 46 shots is just absurd. That's 12 more than KD has ever taken, and 14 more than Curry. That's 11 more shots than anyone's taken the past 3 years in regulation. Steph's a PG and he passes a LOT. I don't think he'd ever get caught with a wave of selfishness like that.

So no, I don't think Curry will ever top 81. I doubt anyone in today's NBA will. Taking the number of shots it would require is just unrealistic....let alone scoring efficiently-enough to get there. Kobe was just on some other ****. He had a usage of over 56% that game :laugh2: He was in exhibition mode and sinking everything. It was absurd and probably never going to happen again. Curry's highest usage this season was 38%. Not. Even. Close.

Curry's probably 4th or lower on the list of guys who could most likely get there.

king4day
04-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Kobe was an anomaly. If Curry decides he will not pass or the team decides they want him to get that number, it could happen.
Otherwise, no.

jerellh528
04-14-2014, 04:06 PM
I'm not going to say never. But it would be pretty shocking if someone did that in modern times. And also probably not curry, maybe kd would be the only player currently that has that ability

FlashBolt
04-14-2014, 04:39 PM
If anything, KD has more of a chance. Steph Curry is a great scorer but I just think he relies too much on his three pointers. With KD, he can kill you in any way possible. Much more opportunities for KD to score. I must say, Melo might have been able to crack 81 had he played the full last quarter.

beyourself
04-14-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm not going to say never. But it would be pretty shocking if someone did that in modern times. And also probably not curry, maybe kd would be the only player currently that has that ability

It's not a question of ability it's a question of will anybody actually shoot that much? To give you a good idea of how much Kobe was shooting that game he scored 81 freaking points on 18 missed shots.

smith&wesson
04-14-2014, 05:03 PM
no ones breaking that record, but if anyone has a shot at doing it its kd.

MonroeFAN
04-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Has Durant or Carmello had a topic like this yet?

:confused:

MELO 15
04-14-2014, 05:46 PM
If anything, KD has more of a chance. Steph Curry is a great scorer but I just think he relies too much on his three pointers. With KD, he can kill you in any way possible. Much more opportunities for KD to score. I must say, Melo might have been able to crack 81 had he played the full last quarter.

Thank u! He had 62 and still had over 7 minutes to play in the game, if there is anyone in this league that can break kobe's 81, it's Melo.

jerellh528
04-14-2014, 05:56 PM
It's not a question of ability it's a question of will anybody actually shoot that much? To give you a good idea of how much Kobe was shooting that game he scored 81 freaking points on 18 missed shots.

Ts% 74
Fg% 61
So yeah, ability

FlashBolt
04-14-2014, 06:00 PM
no ones breaking that record, but if anyone has a shot at doing it its kd.

Such a contradiction. If someone has a shot, technically they "can" break that record so to say "no one" is plain false. I don't think people expected Kobe to score 81. Can he? Sure. But so can Durant and Melo IMO. Both players are offensively beasts so at that point, you just have to ask yourself how many shots they have to take. Of course, this has to be at the perfect time against a crappy defensive team.

Tony_Starks
04-14-2014, 06:21 PM
I seriously doubt we'll see that again. To be able to do that against multiple zone defenses and double/ triple teams is damn near impossible. And the crazy part is a lot of the shots he missed were gimmies, could've easily been 90+.

I remember after the game Kobe said "they even went to a box-1..... I haven't seen that since high school!!!"

Also for the record Kobe took 46 shots. MJ still holds the record for most shot attempts at 49......he scored 64.

jerellh528
04-14-2014, 06:26 PM
I seriously doubt we'll see that again. To be able to do that against multiple zone defenses and double/ triple teams is damn near impossible. And the crazy part is a lot of the shots he missed were gimmies, could've easily been 90+.

I remember after the game Kobe said "they even went to a box-1..... I haven't seen that since high school!!!" Lol

Crazier game was against Dallas, he coulda hit 100 had he played any of the 4th qtr

beliges
04-14-2014, 06:28 PM
You wont see anyone pass 81 in your lifetime.

Bruno
04-14-2014, 06:30 PM
lets see if curry can crack 60 first. pretty sure his career high is 54.

FlashBolt
04-14-2014, 06:35 PM

I remember after the game Kobe said "they even went to a box-1..... I haven't seen that since high school!!!"

Also for the record Kobe took 46 shots. MJ still holds the record for most shot attempts at 49......he scored 64.

C'mon. Kobe's 81 was amazing but at some scenes of the game, those Raptors players were trying to boost Kobe's point total. As good as it was, let's stop pretending Toronto were good at defense. Ranked the second worst defensive team and their best defensive player had a defensive rating of 106. To put that into perspective, Pacers worst defender has a rating of 102. Of course, this has a lot to do with their plays and Mitch was much more offense than defense.

jerellh528
04-14-2014, 06:38 PM
C'mon. Kobe's 81 was amazing but at some scenes of the game, those Raptors players were trying to boost Kobe's point total. As good as it was, let's stop pretending Toronto were good at defense. Ranked the second worst defensive team and their best defensive player had a defensive rating of 106. To put that into perspective, Pacers worst defender has a rating of 102. Of course, this has a lot to do with their plays and Mitch was much more offense than defense.

Trying to boost Kobe's total? Lmao, show some proof of that. At any rate the raptors were still nba players and nobody else has come close since so, yea lets not pretend 81 points against any team on 74%ts isn't amazing

Bruno
04-14-2014, 06:45 PM
it takes extended hot streaks to even flirt with the territory. i'd like to look up currys hottest month long stretch.

when a guy is rolling like Kobe was in 2006, they can peak out high because they're already consistently at that peak-elite level. Kobe was averaging 42 ppg on a TS% of .600 from 12/12/05 through 1/22/06, the day of the Toronto game (19 game span). he was riding that month long hot hand, kind like we saw with Durant this year in terms of streaks and consistent 35+ point games. he probably would have scored 75+ against Dallas if Phil didn't sit him.

David Robinson was hot in the 19 game span leading up to his 71 point outburst which stole him the '94 scoring title over Shaq. Robinson averaged 34 points per game from mid March up until the final game of the year.

Shaq averaged 30 a night before exploding for 61 on his birthday in 2000. he also rode that wave averaging 35 from the night of the 61 point game until the end of the season.

Iverson was averaging 34 a night in the 25 games leading up to his 60 point game.

Curry averaged around 24 in the 22 games leading up to last years 54 point game.

I think Currys offensive skill set is too specialized at the moment to legitimately give him a shot at a 65+ point game. he isn't quite the dominant scorer that some of the other greats were yet.

jerellh528
04-14-2014, 06:49 PM
it takes extended hot streaks to even flirt with the territory. i'd like to look up currys hottest month long stretch.

when a guy is rolling like Kobe was in 2006, they can peak out high because they're already consistently at that peak-elite level. Kobe was averaging 42 ppg on a TS% of .600 from 12/12/05 through 1/22/06, the day of the Toronto game (19 game span). he was riding that month long hot hand, kind like we saw with Durant this year in terms of streaks and consistent 35+ point games. he probably would have scored 75+ against Dallas if Phil didn't sit him.

David Robinson was hot in the 19 game span leading up to his 71 point outburst which stole him the '94 scoring title over Shaq. Robinson averaged 34 points per game from mid March up until the final game of the year.

Shaq averaged 30 a night before exploding for 61 on his birthday in 2000. he also rode that wave averaging 35 from the night of the 61 point game until the end of the season.

Iverson was averaging 34 a night in the 25 games leading up to his 60 point game.

Curry averaged around 24 in the 22 games leading up to last years 54 point game.

I think Currys offensive skill set is too specialized at the moment to legitimately give him a shot at a 65+ point game. he isn't quite the dominant scorer that some of the other greats were yet.

Nice analysis

NoahH
04-14-2014, 06:49 PM
JR Smith could do it.If he puts up 30 3s and actually makes a high percentage of them

FlashBolt
04-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Trying to boost Kobe's total? Lmao, show some proof of that. At any rate the raptors were still nba players and nobody else has come close since so, yea lets not pretend 81 points against any team on 74%ts isn't amazing

Not intentionally but you can see Raptors players not even guarding up and not forcing Kobe to take tough shots. I didn't say it was amazing. I just replied to someone who said that Kobe had played against some tough defense - which isn't true. Historically one of the worst defensive teams. Let's not pretend that 62 points against the 6th ranked defensive team under 79% TS isn't amazing. Oh yeah, 11 less shots and 10 less free-throws.

beyourself
04-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Ts% 74
Fg% 61
So yeah, ability

You have to have both. Lots of guys have had Kobe's efficiency. Nobody has the mentality to put up that USG%. It just won't happen, it's too much shooting.

Supreme LA
04-14-2014, 07:01 PM
I don't understand why these threads always turn into people hating on Kobe.

Can Steph Curry do it? I think it's possible if he caught fire from long range. The same could be said for KD.

Bruno
04-14-2014, 07:01 PM

all these averages include the high scoring game.

beyourself
04-14-2014, 07:05 PM
I don't understand why these threads always turn into people hating on Kobe.

Can Steph Curry do it? I think it's possible if he caught fire from long range. The same could be said for KD.

It's not hating Kobe. But you have to really think about the 81 points thing. It's not just a matter of making your shots you have to take an enormous amount of shots and free throws to reach that number.

Nobody in today's league would put up the shots needed to reach 81 points. I'm trying to emphasize how many points that is. You can't reach that number just by getting hot.

tredigs
04-14-2014, 07:06 PM

There's something to that, but Curry was at 25/5/7 on 48/48/93 that Februrary (not including his 54), which is pretty much identical to his last ~50 games of the season after a slower start. Thing with Curry is that he's a very willing passer and when they start double teaming him from 28+, which happens on occasions like this, he'll just start looking for the open man. Plus, being shorter is an inherent disadvantage as it leaves for less opportunities at easy put-backs or easily rising over single coverage D. Basically it takes much more effort for a PG to score at this rate, and along with his proclivity for passing + solid offensive companions, I don't foresee a situation where he'd ever go for that many points.

tredigs
04-14-2014, 07:09 PM
2x

Duncan = Donkey
04-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Curry could have a chance cause he can chuck with the best of them.

ManRam
04-14-2014, 07:27 PM
It's not hating Kobe. But you have to really think about the 81 points thing. It's not just a matter of making your shots you have to take an enormous amount of shots and free throws to reach that number.

Nobody in today's league would put up the shots needed to reach 81 points. I'm trying to emphasize how many points that is. You can't reach that number just by getting hot.

Yeah. Kobe was unreal that night...there's no denying it. It was amazing. But while it does take "getting hot" it also takes something way more crucial: the volume. Getting that many shots off and having a usage of 56% (with only 2 assists playing into that) is almost more mind-blowing than the efficiency (which, on that volume, was amazing). If you had guys hoisting 45 shots a game regularly you'd get 81 point games from time to time, but it's just not feasible for a player to get that many shots off. He took a shot every like 50 seconds. That's NUTS. In the 4th he took every shot but what? One? That's just not gonna happen, especially by Steph. You just can't get away with doing it. The fact that Kobe did, and his team didn't suffer, definitely is a testament to him. I'm not trying to discredit it, but the volume is the harder part to replicate, not the efficiency or "hotness".

I like the JR thing. Just let JR get 30 threes off and see what he can do from there. They're out of the playoffs, make a mockery of the thing and GUN GUN GUN!

jerellh528
04-14-2014, 07:29 PM
Hahah - so a ~40 point 4th quarter after all that? That'd be one to watch!

Oh crap. Hahah my bad. More like 85-90

Hawkeye15
04-14-2014, 07:35 PM

I think KD could possibly do it in a double or triple OT game, but I just can't see anyone shooting enough to score 81 again.

Obviously records are meant to be broken, but that is a tough one.

Hawkeye15
04-14-2014, 07:39 PM
there is a HUGE difference between scoring even 60 (a number that everyone goes omg with, rightly so), and scoring 81. Not only do you need to take a ton of shots, but you need to make most of them, and get to the line at a high rate.

It's more of a probability that Corey Brewer breaks his 51 point game from the other night (never gonna happen) than someone breaking 81.

I suppose if you traded away Westbrook, and gave Durant a bunch of garbage where he HAD to shoot 30+ times a game, he may put out some "wow" scoring games, but Kobe was so freakin hot that night, and the defense was not able to catch him at all, he just had it man.

Hawkeye15
04-14-2014, 07:40 PM
I gotta be honest, Kobe spoiled 50-60 point games for me.

LeBron scored 61? Meh, it's not 81

goingfor28
04-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Love going to get there tonight

Bruno
04-15-2014, 12:37 AM
Yeah. Kobe was unreal that night...there's no denying it. It was amazing. But while it does take "getting hot" it also takes something way more crucial: the volume. Getting that many shots off and having a usage of 56% (with only 2 assists playing into that) is almost more mind-blowing than the efficiency (which, on that volume, was amazing). If you had guys hoisting 45 shots a game regularly you'd get 81 point games from time to time, but it's just not feasible for a player to get that many shots off. He took a shot every like 50 seconds. That's NUTS. In the 4th he took every shot but what? One? That's just not gonna happen, especially by Steph. You just can't get away with doing it. The fact that Kobe did, and his team didn't suffer, definitely is a testament to him. I'm not trying to discredit it, but the volume is the harder part to replicate, not the efficiency or "hotness".

...since 1985 (the only information available on bballreference).

Jordan put up 49 shots and scored 64 points in 1993. Chris Webber put up 47 shots and scored 51 in 2001. There are 26 games in NBA history (regular season and playoffs) where a player has shot 40 or more FGA in a single game and only two of them resulted in totals higher than 64 points (Robinsons 71 and Kobes 81). Most of those 26 games resulted in 60, 50 or 40 point outings, a few of them even in the 30's. volume is as important a factor as you say if you define the ability to attempt twenty FTAs+ and make them at a high percentage as strictly 'volume'. attempting all those free throws and making them at a high level adds to the hot hand in that the player gets into their shooting zone at the line. MJs career high of 69 in 1990 required only 37 FGAs, but that's because he shot 21/23 from the strike.

you have to get the shots up to get legendary point totals so volume plays a big role, but there are 24 occurrences out of 26 examples where volume alone (defined by me here for the sake of discussion as 40 FGA+ in a game) wasn't enough to get totals above 64 points. 24 of our 26 examples fit into that category. volume can get you in the 50's and 60's, but you gotta be hot and rack major points at the line if you're gona crack 65. this is supported by the fact that a lot of the best scoring games in league history didn't require 40+ FGAs, just high efficiency (and usage) at the line.

curry doesn't get to the line enough to get anywhere near 65+. his career high in FTA is 12 and he averages 3.3 FTA per game for his career (4.5 FTA this year).

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/fga_game.html

Chrisclover
04-15-2014, 02:56 AM

The right situation must entail for a player to be justified in putting up that many shots. If it's a comeback situation, absolutely, Curry and Durant have a shot. But in any other situation, I doubt the coach allows that.

haha, it was not Kobe 's will to get 81.The weak Lakers squad pushed him to do so.

jerellh528
04-15-2014, 02:59 AM
[/B]

Jordan put up 49 shots and scored 64 points in 1993. Chris Webber put up 47 shots and scored 51 in 2001. There are 26 games in NBA history (regular season and playoffs) where a player has shot 40 or more FGA in a single game and only two of them resulted in totals higher than 64 points (Robinsons 71 and Kobes 81). Most of those 26 games resulted in 60, 50 or 40 point outings, a few of them even in the 30's. volume is as important a factor as you say if you define the ability to attempt twenty FTAs+ and make them at a high percentage as strictly 'volume'. attempting all those free throws and making them at a high level adds to the hot hand in that the player gets into their shooting zone at the line. MJs career high of 69 in 1990 required only 37 FGAs, but that's because he shot 21/23 from the strike.

you have to get the shots up to get legendary point totals so volume plays a big role, but there are 24 occurrences out of 26 examples where volume alone (defined by me here for the sake of discussion as 40 FGA+ in a game) wasn't enough to get totals above 64 points. 24 of our 26 examples fit into that category. volume can get you in the 50's and 60's, but you gotta be hot and rack major points at the line if you're gona crack 65. this is supported by the fact that a lot of the best scoring games in league history didn't require 40+ FGAs, just high efficiency (and usage) at the line.

curry doesn't get to the line enough to get anywhere near 65+. his career high in FTA is 12 and he averages 3.3 FTA per game for his career (4.5 FTA this year).

Great post

slashsnake
04-15-2014, 03:47 AM
[/B]

Awesome point. I was trying to think of how to say that he isn't quite the all around scorer Kobe was (Curry is more outside based). His 54 last year was the most points scored by anyone living on the three (Kobe had 55 in a game he hit 9 three's but he also had over double the free throw attempts). You look at all those 60+ point games, and they all have the same thing in their stat line... 20+ free throws.

Not a knock on Curry, those are once an era type games, but he would need a full combination game where he would be attacking at will successfully, AND hitting his outside shot like mad.

Kyben36
04-15-2014, 05:08 AM
i could see it, but its unlikely.

PraiseJesus
04-15-2014, 05:55 AM
no

DitchDat
04-15-2014, 06:28 AM
His team mates are decent so no. Even if he gets hot, and we all know he can, it would be incredibly selfish of him to deliberately shoot for the record.

meloman1592
04-15-2014, 10:58 AM
I think melo could of got extremely close if not there had he not sat out the last 8 minutes if his 62 point game

Bruno
04-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Great post thanks. the topic interested me thats why i took the time to check the numbers.

Awesome point. I was trying to think of how to say that he isn't quite the all around scorer Kobe was (Curry is more outside based). His 54 last year was the most points scored by anyone living on the three (Kobe had 55 in a game he hit 9 three's but he also had over double the free throw attempts). You look at all those 60+ point games, and they all have the same thing in their stat line... 20+ free throws.

Not a knock on Curry, those are once an era type games, but he would need a full combination game where he would be attacking at will successfully, AND hitting his outside shot like mad.

yeah, its all about getting to the strike, hitting 6 or 7+ threes, or shooting 65% plus from the floor on 35+ attempts if you're a big (like Robinson and Shaq did on their career highs). curry doesn't get to the line enough to be in the discussion, i doubt he ever cracks 65 for his career. he could crack 60 if the stars align like we've seen for LBJ or Melo.

KD, Melo and Harden are more capable of 65+ than Curry because they get to the strike.

FlashBolt
04-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Yeah, he's truly a legend. Let's just leave it like that. When you have arguably the greatest scoring game, you are a beast. Wilt's performance was NOT better than Kobe. The greatest scoring performance goes to Kobe.

Bruno
04-15-2014, 02:28 PM
Yeah, he's truly a legend. Let's just leave it like that. When you have arguably the greatest scoring game, you are a beast. Wilt's performance was NOT better than Kobe. The greatest scoring performance goes to Kobe.

jordans 63 against the celtics is arguably the best. considering the setting and opponent. he did it against the greatest celtic team of their 80's dynasty on the road in the garden in the playoffs. what counts against him is that the bulls still lost, but Jordan was a total beast during the first two games against the '86 Celtics. he averaged 56 points over the first two games before falling off a cliff in game three, failing to sore 20 points.

tredigs
04-15-2014, 02:55 PM
jordans 63 against the celtics is arguably the best. considering the setting and opponent. he did it against the greatest celtic team of their 80's dynasty on the road in the garden in the playoffs. what counts against him is that the bulls still lost, but Jordan was a total beast during the first two games against the '86 Celtics. he averaged 56 points over the first two games before falling off a cliff in game three, failing to sore 20 points.

Agreed. Young Jordan putting up an efficient 63 against the leagues top D and arguably the greatest team in NBA history is far more impressive to me. 80+ though... that has a ring to it that still doesn't quite seem possible.

Hawkeye15
04-15-2014, 03:22 PM

my dad was a MONSTER Celtics fan when I was growing up, and started watching bball (basically the Bird era). MJ was my favorite player immediately. I was cheering so hard during that game haha, my dad booted me out of the room haha.

He still says Bird is the best player ever. Oh well...

From the man Larry himself, "I think that is god disguised as Michael Jordan". Or, Magic saying, "There is Michael Jordan, then there is the rest of us"..

ThaDubs
04-15-2014, 03:43 PM
The other night vs. the Blazers he scored 11 points in 2 minutes. 250+ is possible for him

mightybosstone
04-15-2014, 03:51 PM
[/B]

That's pretty much exactly what I came in here to say. To get close to 81, he'd have to get to the line at least probably 15-20 times. Also, Kobe took more than half his team's field goal, 3-point and free throw attempts in that game and the other starters on the roster were Odom, Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm and Smush freakin' Parker. Curry's teammates are unlikely to ever be that inept, and he's never likely to be that selfish with the basketball.

beliges
04-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Agreed. Young Jordan putting up an efficient 63 against the leagues top D and arguably the greatest team in NBA history is far more impressive to me. 80+ though... that has a ring to it that still doesn't quite seem possible.

Eh. MJ's game was impressive but still no 81. Not to mention the Bulls still lost. Kobe outscored a top 2 team in the league (record wise) through 3 quarters by getting 62. Sat out the entire 4th. Id argue thats more impressive than MJ's 63 against the C's. The most impressive part about the 81 was that the Lakers were down by nearly 20 before he went off. And he got 55 pts in the 2nd half alone! Wow.

MrfadeawayJB
04-15-2014, 04:50 PM
No because the 3 guys that could do it ( LeBron, kd, curry)

Are all too unselfish and on good enough teams that it could never be possible

Pablonovi
04-15-2014, 05:09 PM
[/B]

Hey Bruno87,
This and your earlier long post in this thread are just fabulous.
Complete,
Not once less-than-key,
Totally informative,
Well-balanced analysis.

i.e.,
DOUBLE WOW !!

Pablonovi
04-15-2014, 05:14 PM
I gotta be honest, Kobe spoiled 50-60 point games for me.

LeBron scored 61? Meh, it's not 81

Hey Hawk,
I know just what you mean.
I watched every minute (including lots of "tape-delays) of Wilt's career, while it was going on (IF it was televised, of course. Lots of games weren't; but, still, 100s were.).

Talk about being spoiled!

Pablonovi
04-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Eh. MJ's game was impressive but still no 81. Not to mention the Bulls still lost. Kobe outscored a top 2 team in the league (record wise) through 3 quarters by getting 62. Sat out the entire 4th. Id argue thats more impressive than MJ's 63 against the C's. The most impressive part about the 81 was that the Lakers were down by nearly 20 before he went off. And he got 55 pts in the 2nd half alone! Wow.

Hey beliges,
Lots of sharp points.
Basically you need "Perfect Storm" conditions:
A team that has NO chance to win (AND falls behind early and big); UNLESS it has a once-in-a-generation super-star, who goes absolutely ballistic because he just refuses to let his team lose.

Of all current players, I'd bet only KD could do that.
Assume: Westy's not playing; the opponent gets a huge early lead; OKC NEEDS the win; AND KD doesn't miss from anywhere and everywhere. (Essentially, nearly-exactly reproducing Kobe's set of stats.)

TrueFan420
04-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Only person I can think of outdoing Kobe's 81 pt game is Mike James

idk promise felton the keys to a Mikey D's and i bet he beats wilts record

Crackadalic
04-15-2014, 06:13 PM
No bs I think jr is selfish enough to hit 81. His catch and shoot the last 2 months is really good. If he jack up around 50 3's he has a shot

So no curry wouldn't because he actually gets teammates involve

slashsnake
04-15-2014, 09:23 PM
No bs I think jr is selfish enough to hit 81. His catch and shoot the last 2 months is really good. If he jack up around 50 3's he has a shot

So no curry wouldn't because he actually gets teammates involve

I remember someone once calling JR Smith's game the "No pass offense". I love watching him, not because he is great, but because you never know what you will see next.

NBA_Starter
04-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Not a chance

KnicksorBust
04-15-2014, 09:50 PM
[/B]

Spot-on. Curry would need to hit like 20 threes just to get in range. I do think Curry will eventually break that record but never hit 81.

beliges
04-15-2014, 10:53 PM

Hey beliges,
Lots of sharp points.
Basically you need "Perfect Storm" conditions:
A team that has NO chance to win (AND falls behind early and big); UNLESS it has a once-in-a-generation super-star, who goes absolutely ballistic because he just refuses to let his team lose.

Of all current players, I'd bet only KD could do that.
Assume: Westy's not playing; the opponent gets a huge early lead; OKC NEEDS the win; AND KD doesn't miss from anywhere and everywhere. (Essentially, nearly-exactly reproducing Kobe's set of stats.)

Well one thing is for sure that Durant is the only player today with the offensive arsenal to maybe perhaps get close but I don't think its something we'll see again in our lifetime.

asandhu23
04-15-2014, 11:40 PM
I don't see Curry going for that record.

Pablonovi
04-16-2014, 11:11 AM
I don't see Curry going for that record.

Hey asandhu,
Do you mean because he just isn't capable of it; OR because he doesn't have the "temperment" to try; OR because in his team setting it just ain't gonna happen?

Just asking'

Bruno
04-16-2014, 03:13 PM

Kobes 81 (TS% of .739) was actually a lot more efficient than Jordans 63 (.627) against Boston. but at the end of the day were talking about the '86 Celtics who were also the leagues top ranked defense that year. i think either answer is acceptable. 18 points is a big gap but so was the context and competition.

my dad was a MONSTER Celtics fan when I was growing up, and started watching bball (basically the Bird era). MJ was my favorite player immediately. I was cheering so hard during that game haha, my dad booted me out of the room haha.

He still says Bird is the best player ever. Oh well...

From the man Larry himself, "I think that is god disguised as Michael Jordan". Or, Magic saying, "There is Michael Jordan, then there is the rest of us"..
haha, i remember you telling me that. I've always thought those quotes by bird and magic were interesting. i was always under the impression that these statements were made as they were giving jordan the throne- but bird said this before he even got his '86 championship. that kind of changes it for me. in terms of me just passing it off as the old guys tastefully passing the torch.

Hey Bruno87,
This and your earlier long post in this thread are just fabulous.
Complete,
Not once less-than-key,
Totally informative,
Well-balanced analysis.

i.e.,
DOUBLE WOW !!
thanks man.

Spot-on. Curry would need to hit like 20 threes just to get in range. I do think Curry will eventually break that record but never hit 81.
yeah, curry would have to break the NBA record for 3's made (Kobe, 12) or flirt with 16, 18 FTAs to get into the territory.

tredigs
04-16-2014, 05:22 PM
Kobes 81 (TS% of .739) was actually a lot more efficient than Jordans 63 (.627) against Boston. but at the end of the day were talking about the '86 Celtics who were also the leagues top ranked defense that year. i think either answer is acceptable. 18 points is a big gap but so was the context and competition.

haha, i remember you telling me that. I've always thought those quotes by bird and magic were interesting. i was always under the impression that these statements were made as they were giving jordan the throne- but bird said this before he even got his '86 championship. that kind of changes it for me. in terms of me just passing it off as the old guys tastefully passing the torch.

thanks man.

yeah, curry would have to break the NBA record for 3's made (Kobe, 12) or flirt with 16, 18 FTAs to get into the territory.

Is that all the 3pt record is? I think steph hit 11 against ny and couldn't have missed more than one or two. So that part is feasible. Still, I don't see him scoring much more than 65, even if he took 35 shots. And its tough to imagine him taking 35 shots.

Pablonovi
04-16-2014, 06:46 PM
[SNIP]

[SNIP]

Hey bruno87,
Just wanna focus on the Bird and Magic quotes here.
It seems to be so rare for a current player (in any sport?) to give (not-begrudging) comments to his contemporaries.

My All-Time Favorite Sports-Stars Complimentors:
O.J. Simpson (forget about "the glove"; which was non-sports related). He passed out (well-deserved) kudos with ease, to many guys. This guy was a marvel of loading praise on fellow athletes - just exemplary.

Bill Walton, the mountain man, Big Red, was Mr. Graciousness himself. He was always this way; but, in particular, when he might have had the chance to brag, comparing himself favorably to other All-Time Great Centers or Players; instead, he wouldn't even mention himself, but just go straight to building THEM up even more.

For example re: Wilt, Russell, KAJ, Magic, Bird, MJ.
P.S. When talking about them, he'd just light up, like a kid in a candy store, like he was so honored to even be asked about them. Like what they did and could have done; just thrilled him.

What a delight it was to listen to O.J. and Walton, back in the day.

gnsmoothop
04-16-2014, 07:14 PM
heeeeellllllllllll noooooooooooooooooooo

Bruno
04-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Is that all the 3pt record is? I think steph hit 11 against ny and couldn't have missed more than one or two. So that part is feasible. Still, I don't see him scoring much more than 65, even if he took 35 shots. And its tough to imagine him taking 35 shots.
I'm right with you there, if there's anyone who can shatter the current three point shooting mark for a single game, its curry. i mean if curry goes off and breaks the record and gets 13-15 3's and gets to the line 15 times things get interesting. 15 3's and 15 made free throws is 60 points. he'd be posting career highs in both categories but I guess its not impossible considering currys stroke.

yeah, Kobe is tied with one other player I always forget for most made 3's in a single game at 12. come to think of it curry is for sure going to break this record.

and curry taking 35 shots only happens on a night where bogut lee and thompson aren't available.

Bruno
04-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Hey bruno87,
Just wanna focus on the Bird and Magic quotes here.
It seems to be so rare for a current player (in any sport?) to give (not-begrudging) comments to his contemporaries.

My All-Time Favorite Sports-Stars Complimentors:
O.J. Simpson (forget about "the glove"; which was non-sports related). He passed out (well-deserved) kudos with ease, to many guys. This guy was a marvel of loading praise on fellow athletes - just exemplary.

Bill Walton, the mountain man, Big Red, was Mr. Graciousness himself. He was always this way; but, in particular, when he might have had the chance to brag, comparing himself favorably to other All-Time Great Centers or Players; instead, he wouldn't even mention himself, but just go straight to building THEM up even more.

For example re: Wilt, Russell, KAJ, Magic, Bird, MJ.
P.S. When talking about them, he'd just light up, like a kid in a candy store, like he was so honored to even be asked about them. Like what they did and could have done; just thrilled him.

What a delight it was to listen to O.J. and Walton, back in the day.

good point. at the end of the day it just comes down to ego and I think people who can speak well of their contemporaries are at peace with the athletes they have become, and the accomplishments they achieved during their career. when you have nothing left to prove you can make statements like these without being perceived as losing face or giving up a competitive edge.

Bruno
04-16-2014, 08:50 PM
and I think thats why MJ was such a SOB during his acceptance speech. I think deep down he knows he could have given more, and that he left some on the table. ...thats why this man is the most competitive ever, it's practically unhealthy and void of logic. nothings ever enough and the game was too damn important to just let it go. his harshest critic. you need a bit of that neurosis to be the GOAT, no matter what your field of expertise.

tr3ymill3r
04-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Nope, great shooter, but if he gets hot someone will put him on his ***.

Jeffy25
04-16-2014, 10:43 PM
I don't see anyone taking 40 shots in a game again (regulation) for a long time.

I can see someone getting to the line maybe 20+ times in a game where they took 25-30 shots though. That could push the total though

Tony_Starks
04-17-2014, 01:41 AM
I don't see anyone taking 40 shots in a game again (regulation) for a long time.

I can see someone getting to the line maybe 20+ times in a game where they took 25-30 shots though. That could push the total though

Rudy Gay took 37 in a game this year.(before he got traded ironically enough) So it's not unthinkable that someone soon may get hot and put up 40 shots. Still don't think they come close to 81 points though....

FlashBolt
04-17-2014, 02:26 AM
Curry takes too many threes. Not as diverse as Kobe. That's why KD/Carmelo have a higher chance than Curry. Bad at drawing free throws and relies on threes that very well limits his offensive load. 60 is obtainable but 81 for the type of player he is will not be.

IKnowHoops
04-17-2014, 03:55 AM
heeeeellllllllllll noooooooooooooooooooo

This

Pablonovi
04-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Another (perhaps obvious) aspect of this, is the "mechanics".
He'd have to probably get close to if not more than 40 in the first half (seeing as, with that notable Kobe exception) players almost ALWAYS score (a lot) less in the second half.

His team would have to be trailing or barely ahead thru the end of the 3rd quarter; if not into the 4th.

His teammates would have shown to be incapable (in that game, on the offensive end) of significantly changing the game's outcome.

And, of course, as mentioned by everybody else: he'd have to have made: some 20FTs; and 25+ FGs (with 5+ 3s).

ergo: ALL-GAME LONG GREEN LIGHT within a Perfect Storm of conditions for both teams.

Pretty damn tough to do.