PDA

View Full Version : Lance Stephenson free agent

tm95835
04-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Lance stephenson gets paid this offseason, how much does he ask for and how much does he get?

Does he stay in Indy?

Had his 5th triple double of the season against OKC today's as well

If lance resigns, where does Evan turner end up?

leprechaun5
04-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Stephenson

Tony_Starks
04-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Something like what JR Smith got sounds about right. I think they keep him. Him and David West have the biggest hearts on the team.

Crackadalic
04-13-2014, 10:28 PM
I don't see him leaving but if a team throws him money his gone.

SeoulBeatz
04-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Some team will overpay him and immediately regret it.

DallasTrilla23
04-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Some team will J.R. Smith him.

Fixed.

Hulk6
04-13-2014, 11:11 PM
Whens the last time JR had 10 assists

Tony_Starks
04-13-2014, 11:33 PM

Or a triple double....

Pierzynski4Prez
04-13-2014, 11:49 PM
Bulls will be looking at him if they strike out with Melo.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Something like what JR Smith got sounds about right. I think they keep him. Him and David West have the biggest hearts on the team.

Are you serious?

AddiX
04-14-2014, 12:06 AM
People forget he was One of the highest recruited high school players and just for whatever reason didn't get better in college, fell in the draft because of that, and it took him a few years to decide to put it together.

Every year Kentucky has a star recruit that they basically allow to be the star, thats kind of been Caliparis big pitch to these guys. Lance was suppose to be that guy, so he clearly has all world talent.

I think you guys are really dumbing him down by putting him JR Smith category and I like JR.

If you get him on a team where he stays motivated and continues to work, he has star potential IMO. But it is def risky to pay him a lot, someone will, hopefully it's someone that has a staff in place that can work with a guy like him.

He could very well get that $ and not care, I'd be scared if I was a gm to make that move, but some of these lesser market teams have to take that chance IMO. He's gonna get $.

Deception
04-14-2014, 12:10 AM
He's going to get more than JR, I can assure you that. Teams are going to throw stupid contracts at him

TheMightyHumph
04-14-2014, 12:14 AM

Honestly, I am truly asking. Are you joking?

TheMightyHumph
04-14-2014, 12:17 AM
People forget he was One of the highest recruited high school players and just for whatever reason didn't get better in college, fell in the draft because of that, and it took him a few years to decide to put it together.

Every year Kentucky has a star recruit that they basically allow to be the star, thats kind of been Caliparis big pitch to these guys. Lance was suppose to be that guy, so he clearly has all world talent.

I think you guys are really dumbing him down by putting him JR Smith category and I like JR.

If you get him on a team where he stays motivated and continues to work, he has star potential IMO. But it is def risky to pay him a lot, someone will, hopefully it's someone that has a staff in place that can work with a guy like him.

He could very well get that $ and not care, I'd be scared if I was a gm to make that move, but some of these lesser market teams have to take that chance IMO. He's gonna get $.

This one is on Avery Johnson. Traded Jordan Crawford and the ability to draft Lance for Damion James.

Dade County
04-14-2014, 12:50 AM
I see the Pacers making big off season moves and trades when this season is over...

Stephenson, West, Hill, all gone.

P&GRealist
04-14-2014, 01:09 AM
I feel Stephenson will be a Laker target come this summer if the Lakers can't land a big free agent franchise type player like Melo or LeBron.

Tony_Starks
04-14-2014, 01:15 AM
Honestly, I am truly asking. Are you joking?

Why would I joke? I don't see how that number is so shocking, unless your insinuating someone going to overspend....

TheMightyHumph
04-14-2014, 01:46 AM
Why would I joke? I don't see how that number is so shocking, unless your insinuating someone going to overspend....

Why would you joke????????????????????

Maybe you are a comedian.

If you are not joking, maybe you just don't know anything about the NBA.

DitchDat
04-14-2014, 06:36 AM
One thing is for sure, he will be looking for a major pay day.

mikekhelxD
04-14-2014, 06:49 AM

I remember those days. Didnt he had an online show as well? Hahha. I just remember Mayo and him was at the peak in HS, but he just fell off the radar somehow.

PhillyFaninLA
04-14-2014, 07:59 AM
Lance stephenson gets paid this offseason, how much does he ask for and how much does he get?

Does he stay in Indy?

Had his 5th triple double of the season against OKC today's as well

If lance resigns, where does Evan turner end up?

I don't think they offer Turner a contract either way.

MrfadeawayJB
04-14-2014, 08:02 AM

I think your getting lance confused with tyreke Evans.

Stephenson played for cincinatti

MonroeFAN
04-14-2014, 08:54 AM
This topic has been made before (at least twice).

Kyben36
04-14-2014, 09:14 AM

irrelevant, hope he succeeds but his HS status is irrelevant, i remember a Byron mullens being the #1 HS recruit in the nation, doesnt make him anything in the nba.

i hope the best for him, he has gotten better, but he is still a bit over rated IMO,

PrettyBoyJ
04-14-2014, 09:19 AM
I think he get's paid 7-10 million a year. He has a lot of upside and NBA teams really look at that.

AddiX
04-14-2014, 09:29 AM
I think your getting lance confused with tyreke Evans.

Stephenson played for cincinatti

You are correct, oh well, the rest still stands.

AddiX
04-14-2014, 09:31 AM
irrelevant, hope he succeeds but his HS status is irrelevant, i remember a Byron mullens being the #1 HS recruit in the nation, doesnt make him anything in the nba.

i hope the best for him, he has gotten better, but he is still a bit over rated IMO,

It's not irrelevant, it says something about the gap in natural talent level between him and every other high school baller in the world.

PhillyFaninLA
04-14-2014, 09:39 AM
It's not irrelevant, it says something about the gap in natural talent level between him and every other high school baller in the world.

Good point but Jordan was cut by his high school team so does that mean MJ was less naturally talented than every other high school baller in the world that did not get cut

AddiX
04-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Good point but Jordan was cut by his high school team so does that mean MJ was less naturally talented than every other high school baller in the world that did not get cut

I think we can all agree that means his coach was a idiot.

Flat out, if I was one of these teams that has a lot of trouble Bringing in talent, especially stars, Im looking at lance and I'm thinking, he's got size, he's incredibly athletic, and still getting better, if you break down his game there's so much to like about him, so much he can do.

These teams don't have options, they think they can pay market value amd get talent, but it isn't going to happen.

If I'm a team like minny and I'm looking at paying Kevin Martin 8 mill and chase freaking budinger 5 a year, or I can hand all of that and get lance, that's a easy decision.

JayW_1023
04-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Not sure if he is franchise material. I thought the same about James Harden, so I'm not the most reliable at predicting these kind of things.

I do think it's difficult to pay Stephenson, George AND Hibbert and keep the Pacers depth intact.

ManRam
04-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Lance in the right situation is worth a lot of money. Lance in the wrong situation, like where he has to be a first or second option, is absolutely not. I think a team with a solid core already could improve a ton by signing him, but a lesser team or one that's rebuilding shouldn't bother. He's a super role player, and on the right team that can be a difference maker...but I think it takes the right team.

You look at guys like Batum and Tyreke who make ~11 a year, Afflalo got 9-10, and I wouldn't be stunned if a team offers him close to or more than that. He's a good player, but a long term deal at $10M+ is a bit much for my liking.

I think he'll ultimately sign elsewhere. It will be too rich for Indy's taste. Indy's cash-conscious and keeping him will push them over the luxury tax (barring a move, obviously). I can see 5 years and close to 60 million. What's the max for a guy like him? Probably not much higher than that. He wants to stay, but when's the last time a player coming off his rookie contract has taken a discount? Get your money while you can, young'n. And it's not like he's made a ton thus far.

king4day
04-14-2014, 01:00 PM
I think Charlotte will make a push for him. Pair him with Kemba. Their D would improve so much too

muelly
04-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Lance in the right situation is worth a lot of money. Lance in the wrong situation, like where he has to be a first or second option, is absolutely not. I think a team with a solid core already could improve a ton by signing him, but a lesser team or one that's rebuilding shouldn't bother. He's a super role player, and on the right team that can be a difference maker...but I think it takes the right team.

You look at guys like Batum and Tyreke who make ~11 a year, Afflalo got 9-10, and I wouldn't be stunned if a team offers him close to or more than that. He's a good player, but a long term deal at $10M+ is a bit much for my liking.

I think he'll ultimately sign elsewhere. It will be too rich for Indy's taste. Indy's cash-conscious and keeping him will push them over the luxury tax (barring a move, obviously). I can see 5 years and close to 60 million. What's the max for a guy like him? Probably not much higher than that. He wants to stay, but when's the last time a player coming off his rookie contract has taken a discount? Get your money while you can, young'n. And it's not like he's made a ton thus far.

I like Stephenson and as a local to MKE I have some concerns we try to land him. Your suggestion that he cant be a top option is my concern as well. I also wonder if he were in a losing situation how his attitude would be. Obviously it's easy to be happy and upbeat when your winning. He's still somewhat a knucklehead IMO.

FlashBolt
04-14-2014, 01:14 PM
I think he would fit great in Chicago.

N.Carolina King
04-14-2014, 01:15 PM
I think Charlotte will make a push for him. Pair him with Kemba. Their D would improve so much too

I like lance, I really do....but he's not THAT much of an improvement over hendo, especially with what the salary difference will be.

MonroeFAN
04-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Are people really this foolish to think that Lance Stephenson can become James Harden?

Come on. The guy is in a contract year, and is the 3rd/4th option on an elite basketball team.

P&GRealist
04-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Are people really this foolish to think that Lance Stephenson can become James Harden?

Come on. The guy is in a contract year, and is the 3rd/4th option on an elite basketball team.

They are 2 different completely players.

Harden is all O, shooting 3s and getting to the line while Stephenson is the total package on both ends of the floor and rebounds the hell outta the ball for his size and gets guys involved.

Hawkamania
04-14-2014, 02:04 PM

Dude, Lance played for Cincinnati in college.

GiantsSwaGG
04-14-2014, 02:39 PM

Passing the weed?

king4day
04-14-2014, 02:42 PM
Passing the weed?

Annnnd you win the internet for today lol

PacersForLife
04-14-2014, 03:36 PM
I think he'll stay, but if not, I hope we can workout a sign-and-trade.

beasted86
04-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Why would you joke????????????????????

Maybe you are a comedian.

If you are not joking, maybe you just don't know anything about the NBA.

Have to agree with this. I don't know anybody else that thinks the MLE is his max.

I'd guess it will be about what Monta got 3yr $25M, and he stays with Indy.

east fb knicks
04-14-2014, 04:34 PM
lanceisgone a team like the sixers might pay for him the bobcats also people don't realizethe pacers already moved on from from lance that's why they got turner to replace him which will end up being a huge mistake them being cheap might actually cost them the chance at building a great team don't count out the lakers also they could sign lance now and still have money for 2015 it might not be a bad move

FlashBolt
04-14-2014, 04:36 PM
lanceisgone a team like the sixers might pay for him the bobcats also people don't realizethe pacers already moved on from from lance that's why they got turner to replace him which will end up being a huge mistake them being cheap might actually cost them the chance at building a great team don't count out the lakers also they could sign lance now and still have money for 2015 it might not be a bad move

I agree. Things don't look good for Pacers if they don't resign West or Stephenson. They are arguably their two best players.

Riodagoat
04-14-2014, 04:38 PM
If he plays like THIS on a consistent basis, I see him easily netting a contract around 8-10 mil/year.

However, part of me is saying that once he starts cashing, he will turn lazy and start regressing ala Ben Gordon/Hedo Turkoglu. Not saying he was as bad as those guys, I just have that gut feeling.

ATL_Representa
04-14-2014, 04:53 PM
He will be an Atlanta hawk next year..Book it!

east fb knicks
04-14-2014, 04:53 PM
If he plays like THIS on a consistent basis, I see him easily netting a contract around 8-10 mil/year.

However, part of me is saying that once he starts cashing, he will turn lazy and start regressing ala Ben Gordon/Hedo Turkoglu. Not saying he was as bad as those guys, I just have that gut feeling.

meh at the very least he is still a great defender worst case scenario is he becomes an overpaid tony allen best case the next paul George most likely something in between

hoosiercubsfan
04-14-2014, 09:25 PM
He is a favorite of Larry Bird the team president who will have ultimate say. I don't see there really being any chance that he is allowed to leave Indy without a SERIOUS effort to resign him. And I also think he really enjoys playing with the current team. Others will be moved before he is allowed to leave because they can't pay him. Only way he leaves is if he wants out of town. And as I said all outward appearances he enjoys playing here.

beasted86
04-14-2014, 09:37 PM
He is a favorite of Larry Bird the team president who will have ultimate say. I don't see there really being any chance that he is allowed to leave Indy without a SERIOUS effort to resign him. And I also think he really enjoys playing with the current team. Others will be moved before he is allowed to leave because they can't pay him. Only way he leaves is if he wants out of town. And as I said all outward appearances he enjoys playing here.

Well the factors are playing against Indy.

1) He's unrestricted. So basically they will have to "take his agent's word" on what offers he has out there.
2) Indy doesn't ever pay luxury tax. So to give him his value means trading 2-3 current guaranteed role players (Copeland, Scola, Watson, etc) for vet/rookie minimum players instead.

Either way seems like the team loses talent this summer either by way of Lance or depth.

NBA_Starter
04-14-2014, 09:45 PM
I think someone will overpay for him.

SluggeR
04-14-2014, 09:52 PM
He's in the "best" situation for him. Unless he feels where ever he gets paid the most, is the "best" situation for him. If he goes some where he has to carry the load night-in & night-out I think his weaknesses will be exploited.

PacersForLife
04-14-2014, 09:59 PM
We haven't moved on from him. I don't think we'll re-sign Turner either way.

I agree. Things don't look good for Pacers if they don't resign West or Stephenson. They are arguably their two best players.
West is still signed for 2 more years after this year.

tm95835
04-14-2014, 10:36 PM
I think if he moves from the pacers and gets a harden type role he'll be in discussion for best sg in a season or two. If he can out it all together he looks like a killer
Hate him.

koreancabbage
04-14-2014, 10:43 PM
I see his floor is at least 7 million per. he puts up all round stats and one or two GMs would be drooling and raising the ante in a bidding war: 10M. Since they can only sign players for 5 years max. its not that big of a hit. he will get paid.

hoosiercubsfan
04-14-2014, 11:54 PM
Well the factors are playing against Indy.

1) He's unrestricted. So basically they will have to "take his agent's word" on what offers he has out there.
2) Indy doesn't ever pay luxury tax. So to give him his value means trading 2-3 current guaranteed role players (Copeland, Scola, Watson, etc) for vet/rookie minimum players instead.

Either way seems like the team loses talent this summer either by way of Lance or depth.

The only factor that will work against the Pacers is if Lance decides to go out and chase every last dollar. If he wants to stay with the Pacers I feel they could easily offer him a very competitive contract using the money slotted for Evan Turner whom would only return if Lance does leave. If they let Turner walk they would be very close in my opinion with 8.7M qualifying offer he would be due going to Lance instead. Does that mean that some of the bench depth may have to go? It is possible.

Though it is possible that the team may be willing to spend a little more now that they are on the upswing in popularity in this city. You have to go back 10 years to come close to reaching the level of attendance the Pacers have achieved this season. All of the years in between they had horrible attendance usually ranking 25-30th in total attendance. Therefore there really wasn't any reason for them to spend into the luxury tax. Though this season they are 15th with 28 sellouts the most since 2000. They also just signed a new contract with the city of Indianapolis that will greatly enhance their bottom line.

So in my opinion to think that it is a given that either Lance is gone or the depth is gone is just a bit premature. There is a lot going in the right direction financially for the Pacers right now.

Duncan = Donkey
04-14-2014, 11:56 PM
the guy is a weirdo isnt he? i remember watching him play vs the Suns. The dude was acting strange

NoahH
04-14-2014, 11:57 PM
3 year 32mill

I think if he moves from the pacers and gets a harden type role he'll be in discussion for best sg in a season or two. If he can out it all together he looks like a killer
Hate him.

Stephenson is in no way the scorer harden is so he wouldnt get a harden type role. I dont think Stephenson can be the go to guy

NYKNYGNYY
04-15-2014, 12:09 AM
Fixed.

N if melo leaves I bet it's us

elledaddy
04-15-2014, 12:32 AM
I see his floor is at least 7 million per. he puts up all round stats and one or two GMs would be drooling and raising the ante in a bidding war: 10M. Since they can only sign players for 5 years max. its not that big of a hit. he will get paid.

So a player who was NBA ranked.....
74th in scoring
37th in rebounding
33rd in assists
145th in steals
10th most TOs per game

is worth at least 7, at most 10 mill per year? Guess those 5 triple dubs is gonna get a GM fired

koreancabbage
04-15-2014, 12:51 AM
So a player who was NBA ranked.....
74th in scoring
37th in rebounding
33rd in assists
145th in steals
10th most TOs per game

is worth at least 7, at most 10 mill per year? Guess those 5 triple dubs is gonna get a GM fired

yes but he's putting up these numbers as a young player, with plenty of potential. You're basically hoping he turns out to be much better than that.

look at all the other players that make $7. He's worth as least as much as most of them. How do they compare to him over? Probably a lot less no? He has potential to be a good player. In a few years, he could be worth more. and 5 years max - 23 years old. thats getting him into his prime.

AddiX
04-15-2014, 11:43 AM
You guys are underrating Lance quite a bit IMO, all this talk about him getting overpaid, not on so and so's level, not a great scorer.

Have you guys really even watched Lance play? He's a total package player with upside and athleticism. He can do retie much anything you need him to. This kid is going to shine in the playoffs, might even outshine George.

FlashBolt
04-15-2014, 12:16 PM
You guys are underrating Lance quite a bit IMO, all this talk about him getting overpaid, not on so and so's level, not a great scorer.

Have you guys really even watched Lance play? He's a total package player with upside and athleticism. He can do retie much anything you need him to. This kid is going to shine in the playoffs, might even outshine George.

Indeed. George is a better defender but I might go as far to saying Lance is a better scorer, rebounder, passer, and has more heart/hustle in his game. He doesn't take as many shots because he's busy setting up teammates while George is more of a take what I can get player. I do think he's probably Pacers best player. With the way he's been playing, he's definitely in the 10-12 million price.

Minimal
04-15-2014, 01:52 PM
I still remember Lance balling in his rookie season in summer league, I think he was the best player that summer. Its strange it took him so many years to finally shine on the big court. Really reminds me of Andre Iguodala.

sunsfan88
04-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Hibbert Was Referring To Stephenson In 'Selfish Dudes' Comment

Roy Hibbert's comment in late March about "some selfish dudes in here" was a reference to Lance Stephenson, according to sources.

Stephenson has had a vastly improved season and is one of Larry Bird's favorite players on the roster, but he has also had confrontations with George Hill and Evan Turner.

Hill and Stephenson had to be separated on the Pacers' bench during a March 31 loss to the San Antonio Spurs.

Turner and Stephenson had a fightfight during practice on the eve of the playoffs.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/10827330/2014-nba-playoffs-frank-vogel-indiana-pacers-coaching-job

mdalex24
04-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Lance is a future All-Star and should be in INDs future plans. He's also become one of the most entertaining players to watch. As long as some big contract doesn't lure him away he will be a Pacer. Bird should be able to curve the attitude.

Also if anyone is interested in free NBA playoff contests, theStlyesUnltd.com is hosting one until tomorrow at 6pm. Winner gets 300 dollars.

72 Wins
04-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Lance is a future All-Star and should be in INDs future plans. He's also become one of the most entertaining players to watch. As long as some big contract doesn't lure him away he will be a Pacer. Bird should be able to curve the attitude.

Also if anyone is interested in free NBA playoff contests, theStlyesUnltd.com is hosting one until tomorrow at 6pm. Winner gets 300 dollars.

sweet spam drop.

McAllen Tx
04-23-2014, 09:34 PM
I think some team pays him 10-12 million a year.

I keep reading the Harden comparisons. I see the attitude and swagger of Harden but the skill set of a young Josh Howard

jacquewho?
04-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Some mediocre team will give him a lot of money to be their number two option, and as a Pacers fan that won't work out for him. He'll stay with Indy IMO, and we will probably let Turner walk.

Sly Guy
04-24-2014, 11:01 AM
tbh with all these 'reported' locker room issues I wouldn't want him on my squad. But his numbers are good, and he'll get money from somebody.

PacersForLife
04-24-2014, 11:22 AM
I think the locker room issues are a tad bit overblown.

True Sports Fan
04-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Won't happen, and we probably don't even have the salary cap to do so...

But if we resigned Thomas and Gay opts in..

Thomas / Stephenson / Gay / (Pick. Vonleh?) / Cousins
McCallum / McLemore / Williams / Landry / JT

Won't happen but I think that team would be pretty solid.

dalton749
04-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Lol just what sac needs, more head cases