PDA

View Full Version : Who Has The Most To Lose Image Wise If They Don't Win A Title?

P&GRealist
04-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Obviously we have a lot of contenders.

But which individual superstar/figure has the most to lose image wise if their team doesn't end up winning a title?

LeBron James - IF the Heat fail to 3-peat with an impending free agency this summer for the Big 3, and the Heat have reloaded with Beasley and Oden. The same ole "not 1, not 2, not 3" still applies. What do you make of it?

Kevin Durant - Will win the league MVP. But we all criticize LeBron for not winning a title in Cleveland after 7 seasons. Well, this will be KD's 7th season in OKC. If he doesn't get it done, he's essentially in that same boat (maybe even worse as he has a supporting superstar in Westy, something Bron didn't have), and it'll lead into 2014-2015 as a distraction with his impending free agency in summer 2015. What do you make of it?

Dwight Howard - Wanted to be out of Orlando (didn't realize how good life was being a Giant in a small pond that is the Weak East), was traded to the Lakers, became the first superstar ever to snub the Lakers franchise, just to go to Houston and stay in a conference that is STACKED. He said he left the Lakers to pursue titles in Houston, but if they don't even make the Conference finals, what do you make of it?

Paul George - Probably the brightest spot of the first half of the season, people expected him to go to superstar mode. Now that the Pacers will likely have home court over Miami, and if they still don't get past them. What do you make of it?

Chris Paul - Chose to re-sign with the Clippers after their initial 1 yr in the summer of 2012. They got Doc to help change the culture. They got him as much talent and shooting around him as they could with the trade of acquiring Reddick. This is his 9th yr now and he's slowly approaching that Stockton/Malone/Reggie/Ewing/Elgin/Nash status as HOFers who couldn't win a title. He too wanted to be out of the small market that was NOLA to embrace a bigger market. What do you make of it?

Gregg Popovich - It will be the 3rd time in the last 4 yrs that the Spurs have the #1 seed in the ultra competitive Western Conference. Multiple double digit winning streaks over the past 4 yrs. The resting of players, the managing of minutes. But if the Spurs don't win a title this yr after being just 40 seconds away from winning the whole thing if it weren't for Pop's substitutions mismanagement at the end of both games 6 and 7 last yr. What do you make of it?

goingfor28
04-13-2014, 08:02 PM
I seem to recall this thread being made recently

JC_
04-13-2014, 08:06 PM
LBJ always has the most to lose image-wise. That being said, if a guy like Durant plays god-awful in the playoffs, he would lose a lot of respect.

OKC
04-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Lebron has the most critics, so that's your answer.
KD second, George third.

P&GRealist
04-13-2014, 08:10 PM
LBJ always has the most to lose image-wise.

That's the perception amongst most fans and thus why I put him on the poll.

But for me, he's probably at the lowest from the 6 I mentioned.

I don't think LeBron should receive any criticism if Heat were to not win.

JC_
04-13-2014, 08:13 PM
I don't think LeBron should receive any criticism if Heat were to not win.

Either do I but he will have the most people on his *** if he messes up in any small way.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-13-2014, 08:24 PM
I'll go with Chris Paul. Durant's only 25, Dwight's in his first season with a new team with the next best player being only 24, Paul George is only in his fourth season, LeBron has been there the past 3 seasons and won twice and has a pretty good chance of making it again, and Pop has been there 5 times and won it 4 of those 5. Paul's in his 9th season and has the best team he's ever had around him. If they don't make it to at least the WCF, people are gonna start jumping on him.

Tony_Starks
04-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Lebron by a mile. The Heat have been the consensus favorite most of the year with most only considering the Pacers a legit threat.

If he loses his rep takes a big hit even though all of his apologist will just blame it all on Wade...

RocketLoc80
04-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Lebron by a mile. The Heat have been the consensus favorite most of the year with most only considering the Pacers a legit threat.

If he loses his rep takes a big hit even though all of his apologist will just blame it all on Wade...

LMAO@this crap when have the Heat been the favs at any point this year? I have heard the Pacers,Thunder,Spurs and even the Clippers as favs at some point during the season. The only time the Heat where considered favs was when Lebron went on that tear in early to late Feb. That was the only time they were considered the favs. Most of you in here don`t even have the Heat making the finals and if they get there even winning it so how have they been the favorites all year when I have heard different teams other than the Heat

shep33
04-13-2014, 09:11 PM
CP3 by miles for the next couple of years. He's the best pg of his generation, and has been considered a top 3 NBA player for a couple of years now.

I said it before, but if you give a 28 year old Kobe, LeBron, or Wade. the roster and coach that CP3 has. I'm sorry but those are dynasty squads.

P&GRealist
04-13-2014, 09:13 PM
LMAO@this crap when have the Heat been the favs at any point this year? I have heard the Pacers,Thunder,Spurs and even the Clippers as favs at some point during the season. The only time the Heat where considered favs was when Lebron went on that tear in early to late Feb. That was the only time they were considered the favs. Most of you in here don`t even have the Heat making the finals and if they get there even winning it so how have they been the favorites all year when I have heard different teams other than the Heat

When they won game 7, repeated as champs, lost Mike Miller but added Greg Oden and Michael Beasley. They've been favorites from beginning of season to this point. When you've been to 3 straight finals, 2 straight titles, you still have the big 3 and the core of role players are still in tact, and the best player in the world getting better every season, why wouldn't they be regarded as the favorites?

Tony_Starks
04-13-2014, 09:14 PM

Wow. So that's the ONLY time they were considered favorites? Not when they started the year? Not when the Pacers and basically every expert all year have been saying the only way they beat MIA is with home court and maybe not even then? Not when they beat OKC handily and everyone says OKC can't match up with them?

No you're right, the Clippers are and have been the clear cut favorites. No the Pacers have been favorites even though they've been a disaster for a month.

Pure comedy!

P&GRealist
04-13-2014, 09:15 PM
CP3 by miles for the next couple of years. He's the best pg of his generation, and has been considered a top 3 NBA player for a couple of years now.

I said it before, but if you give a 28 year old Kobe, LeBron, or Wade. the roster and coach that CP3 has. I'm sorry but those are dynasty squads.

not to mention when you finally get a head coach the caliber of your superstar player who's been there and done that. At that point, you just gotta win or come extremely close to it.

MrfadeawayJB
04-13-2014, 09:26 PM
It's between durant and Paul IMO

LeBron has won two in a row, pops legacy is fine, Paul George still has time, and no one gives a **** about Howard

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-13-2014, 09:35 PM
The Heat are one of the favorites, maybe the favorite, but by no means are they on a whole level above anyone else. OKC and San Antonio have just as good as a chance as the Heat do.

Asik's better
04-13-2014, 09:37 PM
Lebron james- he will always be under scrutiny when he dosn't win the title, rightly or wrongly.
Kevin Durant- pressure is building but if they make it the WCF he could hold off another season.
Howard- first round exit, yes. But if the rockets make it to the second and push the spurs, he will be fine.
George- if the pacers don't make the finals and George dosn't play well, a spotlight will be shone on the pacers and George.
CP3- no but it should.
Pop- no

Kaner
04-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Chris Paul easily, he won't get as much flack for losing as if Lebron or Durant would because he has never been as much of a story but if he did win it would help his career and Legacy tremendously. He'd easily pass stockton and Robertson and become the consensus #2pg of all time and at least top 20 player and would finally confirm that a pg like Chris Paul can win a championship as the best player. If he doesn't than he will become the new posterboy of pass first pg's that couldn't win championships.

Tony_Starks
04-13-2014, 09:55 PM
Chris Paul easily, he won't get as much flack for losing as if Lebron or Durant would because he has never been as much of a story but if he did win it would help his career and Legacy tremendously. He'd easily pass stockton and Robertson and become the consensus #2pg of all time and at least top 20 player and would finally confirm that a pg like Chris Paul can win a championship as the best player. If he doesn't than he will become the new posterboy of pass first pg's that couldn't win championships.

Thing with the Clipps is I don't think anyone outside of LA really believed in them. I think the fact that the West has multiple contenders gives guys like CP3 a automatic pass in public opinion. Everyone knows they have a punchers chance but I think it would be more surprising if they actually survived through 3 very good teams.

Winning the West will be like winning a championship basically.

NYMetros
04-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Pretty obviously it's Durant..

edit-Nevermind, thought the OP was asking if they never win a Championship in their career

NYJ - NYY
04-13-2014, 10:42 PM

You are 100% wrong in every way

Kaner
04-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Thing with the Clipps is I don't think anyone outside of LA really believed in them. I think the fact that the West has multiple contenders gives guys like CP3 a automatic pass in public opinion. Everyone knows they have a punchers chance but I think it would be more surprising if they actually survived through 3 very good teams.

Winning the West will be like winning a championship basically.

It's not a matter of what he will lose if he were to fail but rather what he could gain if he were to win and in that way his legacy is going to be the most affected if he wins or loses. Lebron will get more flack if he loses but he will also gain very little from a 3rd championship.

jerellh528
04-13-2014, 10:57 PM
I'll go with Chris Paul. Durant's only 25, Dwight's in his first season with a new team with the next best player being only 24, Paul George is only in his fourth season, LeBron has been there the past 3 seasons and won twice and has a pretty good chance of making it again, and Pop has been there 5 times and won it 4 of those 5. Paul's in his 9th season and has the best team he's ever had around him. If they don't make it to at least the WCF, people are gonna start jumping on him.

This would be my exact answer as well.

Hawkeye15
04-13-2014, 11:05 PM
It will be LeBron for the next few years. Just is what it is.

Tony_Starks
04-13-2014, 11:17 PM
It's not a matter of what he will lose if he were to fail but rather what he could gain if he were to win and in that way his legacy is going to be the most affected if he wins or loses. Lebron will get more flack if he loses but he will also gain very little from a 3rd championship.

I don't know about that man. 4 straight Finals hasn't been done since Larry Bird, and 3 chips in 4 years is pretty rare and impressive. And a 3peat? Puts him in a different conversation IMO....

Supreme LA
04-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Lebron stands with the most to lose only because he has the team with the most talent and because of his obvious comments during the Big 3 celebration in Miami. This is only measured this way amongst fans because I also think he stands with the most to gain if he does 3-peat. He's already top 10 all-time status but a 3-peat would surely secure him in the top 5 in the minds of many and even his critics IMO.

My judgements are just based off of this current season. If KD never wins a title, he will certainly be the one who loses most.

P&GRealist
04-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Lebron james- he will always be under scrutiny when he dosn't win the title, rightly or wrongly.
Kevin Durant- pressure is building but if they make it the WCF he could hold off another season.
Howard- first round exit, yes. But if the rockets make it to the second and push the spurs, he will be fine.
George- if the pacers don't make the finals and George dosn't play well, a spotlight will be shone on the pacers and George.
CP3- no but it should.
Pop- no

They made the Finals in 2012. Last yr due to the Westbrook injury was an anomaly. But if they don't make the finals this yr with everyone healthy, then this franchise has taken a drastic step back.

And didn't Howard go to Houston to win championships? At least make the finals?

A 2nd round exit IMO is not acceptable when you're reasons of leaving a glorified franchise like the Lakers was because of the coach and Kobe and not being a title contending team there.

KnicksorBust
04-16-2014, 01:19 PM

With Blake Griffin by his side, they are two of the top 10 players. There is no excuse for why they can't win the championship. He has an elite PF to run pick and rolls, a defensive center to protect the rim, secondary ball handlers (Crawford-Collison) to allow him to play off the ball, and they have shooters to space the floor. With the addition of Doc Rivers at head coach, this is as good as it gets for Paul. There are many people (myself included) that see him as one of the greatest point guards of all-time. I would even argue he has potential to be the GOAT PG in terms of complete skill-set. If he somehow bows out early with a loaded team, that would be a huge hit to his credibility of being a legendary player.

In a related story, I would have picked Russell Westbrook if he was an option. He'll find a way to screw things up with the MVP as his teammate.

Kaner
04-16-2014, 02:33 PM
I don't know about that man. 4 straight Finals hasn't been done since Larry Bird, and 3 chips in 4 years is pretty rare and impressive. And a 3peat? Puts him in a different conversation IMO....

Yes, but Lebron has already cemented himself as a top 10 player all-time in my mind at most another championship puts him into top 5 discussion although I think it wouldn't put him in there.

Chris Paul statistically is arguably a top 10-15 player all-time however I doubt many people would even consider putting him in their top 30 right now because of his lack of post-season success, winning a championship confirms that his statistical dominance also leads to winning championships which completely transforms his legacy and separates himself from Stockton, Nash, Robertson, and Kidd. In the process giving credibility to the pass-first superstar pg that up until now has had zero success. While obviously we all know that an elite wing or center can lead a team to a championship.

todu82
04-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Lebron James

ztilzer31
04-16-2014, 03:33 PM
I think it's actually Westbrook, but I voted KD. If OKC goes to the finals, and loses (especially against Miami) I feel like there will be a huge push to trade Westbrook.

It really all depends on how it happens. That's the thing about sports. It's not the outcome that determines you it's the story.

P&GRealist
04-16-2014, 03:38 PM
I think it's actually Westbrook, but I voted KD. If OKC goes to the finals, and loses (especially against Miami) I feel like there will be a huge push to trade Westbrook.

It really all depends on how it happens. That's the thing about sports. It's not the outcome that determines you it's the story.

Or fire Scott Brooks and finally amnesty Perkins

sens#11fan
04-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Lebron really doesn't have much to loose, he has already proven that he can win some rings. KD is only 25 and not even at his prime, he may loose some respect from his haters but he really shouldn't at his age. Mj won his first ring when he was 28, which was around his prime. CP3 has the most to prove, unlike KD and LBJ he has yet to even reach the nba finals or even the conference finals. He is already 28 and the clippers are loaded with talent and depth, they have the best team in the league in my opinion based on names. However, this is why you play the game. Some people believe that CP3 is on pace to takeover magic's spot, which is crazy.

TheIlladelph16
04-16-2014, 04:09 PM
They made the Finals in 2012. Last yr due to the Westbrook injury was an anomaly. But if they don't make the finals this yr with everyone healthy, then this franchise has taken a drastic step back.

And didn't Howard go to Houston to win championships? At least make the finals?

A 2nd round exit IMO is not acceptable when you're reasons of leaving a glorified franchise like the Lakers was because of the coach and Kobe and not being a title contending team there.

Uhhhh... Was he at all wrong? The Lakers aren't title contenders. They wouldn't have been with Howard and they probably wouldn't have been with Kobe and Howard both in that mediocre lineup. They also won't be for the next few years in all likelihood.

The Rockets on the other hand have a 24 year old superstar, a borderline star in Parsons and then a team full of good, young role players. At the very least, the Rockets are much closer to being a title contender than the Lakers now and in the foreseeable future. So what exactly is incorrect about Howard's reasoning behind leaving LA?

NYKNYGNYY
04-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Howard... Lebron won the past 2 he gets a break.... Then goes Durant , Paul. N George IMO

Clippersfan86
04-16-2014, 04:16 PM
CP3 as stated multiple times. Durant is 3 years younger and has been to the finals once and WCF twice. CP3 has never been out of the 2nd round in 9 years. Sure it's a team sport... but it's time for him to get at least a WCF or finals appearance under his belt. Blake's stepped up as a top 5 player and undisputed superstar. DJ has emerged as a borderline all star. The team has acquired a bunch of shooters and the 2nd or 3rd best coach in the game.

There isn't any more the Clippers front office can do to get CP3 a ring. Now it's all about health and guys stepping up. Had the team not been decimated by injuries, we would likely have the top record in the NBA with 60-62 wins.

sens#11fan
04-16-2014, 04:52 PM
CP3 as stated multiple times. Durant is 3 years younger and has been to the finals once and WCF twice. CP3 has never been out of the 2nd round in 9 years. Sure it's a team sport... but it's time for him to get at least a WCF or finals appearance under his belt. Blake's stepped up as a top 5 player and undisputed superstar. DJ has emerged as a borderline all star. The team has acquired a bunch of shooters and the 2nd or 3rd best coach in the game.

There isn't any more the Clippers front office can do to get CP3 a ring. Now it's all about health and guys stepping up. Had the team not been decimated by injuries, we would likely have the top record in the NBA with 60-62 wins.

Respect, for not being a homer.

Jeffy25
04-16-2014, 05:05 PM
And who among contenders has the most to gain?

CP3? Duncan?

tredigs
04-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Without reading the op it's LeBron/kd/cp3. 3 best players are all in their prime on stacked squads. With lbj having the easier path to get their and being the consensus best player, I'd imagine he bears it most. But with his last two seasons, it still won't be that bad. The gorilla is off his back. For CP3 and KD it will depend how they play and how useful Westbrook is, but expectations are finals or bust... Probably ship for kd.

tredigs
04-16-2014, 05:36 PM

CP3? Duncan?

Add KD if he gets finals MVP, especially if it's over Miami. Most would then consider him top dog in the league and the signal of a new era with the MVP.

abe_froman
04-16-2014, 05:43 PM

CP3? Duncan?

of the two? cp3

there's really nothing that td can do,short of becoming 27 again,that will alter his legacy all that much

sep11ie
04-16-2014, 06:01 PM
What a pointless thread.

Cal827
04-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Durant. He's has shown the world (at least this year), that someone could actually be better than Lebron James. He's going to win MVP over Lebron, and unlike when Rose won, there's not going to be any question on "best player on the best team" type.

Led the league in scoring, ultra efficient pretty much everywhere on the court, and broke a record that was held by the arguably best player of all time. He has decent support around him (Westbrook, Ibaka, assuming they remain healthy), and have come up short a few times before (vs Dallas, vs Memphis). Durant needs to at least get to the finals again to keep most of his image intact

... then again, if they lose it again there, then he'll be called a choker lol

P&GRealist
04-16-2014, 06:02 PM
What a pointless thread.

Tittays

PhillyFaninLA
04-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Other because all good polls (or worthwhile polls) have an other option or say out of these choices

naps
04-16-2014, 06:21 PM
It's between Durant and CP3.

LeBron shouldn't be on this list. He went to 3 straight finals and won last 2. He can afford to not win this one easily IMO.

CP3 has NO excuse. He has EVERYTHING to win it all this year. The roster, the star teammate, role players, and the COACH.

Durant is still young but if LeBron was criticized for not winning in Cleveland with scrubs like Mo-Will then Durant should be put in the hell for not winning with Westy, Ibaka, and Harden (When he was in OKC).

Lakers + Giants
04-16-2014, 06:43 PM
CP3 then durant. Lebron has no pressure compared to them. He's already been the best player for over 5 years and hes won the last 2 years.

3rd i would say Dwight, but more next year. Cuz this was his 1st year in houston.

1. CP3
2. KD

3. D12

tredigs
04-16-2014, 07:09 PM
You guys realize Lebron is trying to go down as being on "Mount Rushmore" if not the best ever, right? He still has an elite cast and his in his prime if not peak. He has a very easy road to the finals (yes, we know no road is 'easy', but it doesn't get much better than this East), and a guy he'd have to dethrone for #1 3-peated TWICE. Yes, he has a lot of pressure on him when you consider historical context.

Crackadalic
04-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Chris Paul. He's been my favorite player. Best pg in the game but his playoff record is horrible for someone with his talent.

On paper they should be the most dominate team in the nba. If they don't make it to the wcf then cp3 will get bash heavily next couple years