PDA

View Full Version : Do Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook Play the Game the Right Way to Win a Title?

P&GRealist
04-13-2014, 05:14 PM
I feel these 2 guys could be so much better than they are. Sometimes I feel that they lack the intangibles and IQs.

Today, they jacked up a combined 21 3 pointers between the two, converting on only 5 of them. (23.8%)

Westbrook: 3-10

KD: 2-11

Just last Sunday against PHX, they jacked up a combined 24 3 pointers and made only 6 (25%)

Westbrook: 2-9

KD: 4-15

Can they win a title being primarily a jumpshooting team with their stars relying so heavily on the 3?

jerellh528
04-13-2014, 05:35 PM
Eh, durant is one of the best 3 point shooters in the nba. His shots weren't falling, It happens. Westy on the other hand should do what he does best, attack.

slaker619
04-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Nah, Westbrook be shooting too much and trying to control team like he true star

P&GRealist
04-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Eh, durant is one of the best 3 point shooters in the nba. His shots weren't falling, It happens. Westy on the other hand should do what he does best, attack.
Just because his % is good doesn't mean half of his attempts should be from beyond the arch.

P&GRealist
04-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Nah, Westbrook be shooting too much and trying to control team like he true star

So Durant 4-15 last sunday and 2-11 today is acceptable?

dalton749
04-13-2014, 05:55 PM
So Durant 4-15 last sunday and 2-11 today is acceptable?

hes kevin durant, this years mvp
he can do whatever the hell he wants when hes leading his team to the 2nd best record in the nba

P&GRealist
04-13-2014, 06:04 PM
hes kevin durant, this years mvp
he can do whatever the hell he wants when hes leading his team to the 2nd best record in the nba

Let's see how jacking up 3's translates into the playoffs for him. When it really matters.

jerellh528
04-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Just because his % is good doesn't mean half of his attempts should be from beyond the arch.

Do you just look at box scores or were those open 3s within the flow of the offense which he has a full green light to take?

P&GRealist
04-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Do you just look at box scores or were those open 3s within the flow of the offense which he has a full green light to take?

Some of them 3 feet beyond the 3 pt arch with a contested hand, but because he's 6'11 and longer than his defenders, he thinks it's a good shot.

When he's the free throw attempt darling king of the NBA, shouldn't he just take 1 or 2 dribbles and make contact with the defender and go to the line?

Tony_Starks
04-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Yes two of the best players in the game can do whatever they want.
Green light.

P&GRealist
04-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Yes two of the best players in the game can do whatever they want.
Green light.

Let's see if this green light translates into a gold ball

jerellh528
04-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Some of them 3 feet beyond the 3 pt arch with a contested hand, but because he's 6'11 and longer than his defenders, he thinks it's a good shot.

When he's the free throw attempt darling king of the NBA, shouldn't he just take 1 or 2 dribbles and make contact with the defender and go to the line?

I dunno. I think kd is one of the better more efficient offensive players in nba history. Maybe he has his reasons for 3s besides being great at it. Taking a lot of 3s is a sign of being tired or coasting. Perhaps, he's saving some of himself for the beatings western teams go through in the playoffs

DetroitBadBoy
04-13-2014, 06:41 PM
They don't compliment each other the best but they are definitely a deadly duo. They are both usually very efficient so it's on the rest of the team to do their jobs.

Tony_Starks
04-13-2014, 06:52 PM
OKC has amassed one of the best records in the league with Russel missing a chunk of the season. And that's with Spurs going on a ridiculous win streak.

KD also broke MJ's scoring streak of consecutive 25pt games and is about to get his first of many MVPs.

Looks like they're doing pretty darn good to me. Their only legit threats are Spurs and Clippers who they may or may not even see in the playoffs....

Sandman
04-13-2014, 06:52 PM
If the title goes through Miami then no, they are one dimensional and get it done on pure athleticism.

It works for them because nobody can match their athleticism. Except for Miami.

the KP trade remains an albatross. big missed opp trading Harden for Kevin Martin.

I'll keep beating the dead horse and say they should have swapped Harden for Howard. Don't see how the Magic would have said no, and I don't see how Howard would have balked signing for a max w/ KD. They lose Perkins and Harden and the net with Howard is about the same as if Harden accepted the 90% max extension. Can't tell me the money would not have worked.

But w/e I digress. They still did not pull off the Harden trade. They made a lateral move and with Kevin Martin moving on they don't have much of anything left to show for it.

FOBolous
04-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Let's see how jacking up 3's translates into the playoffs for him. When it really matters.

he's efficiency this year rivals that of Jordan....and Jordan's efficiency was literally godly among wing players. not even Kobe was able to reach this level of efficiency. I think that gives Durant the green light to do anything he wants. and if Durant keeps it up, i think it will translate very well into the playoffs. as for him shooting 2-11 and 4-15....everyone has bad games here and there every once in awhile.

P&GRealist
04-13-2014, 06:57 PM
he's efficiency this year rivals that of Jordan....and Jordan's efficiency was literally godly among wing players. not even Kobe was able to reach this level of efficiency. I think that gives Durant the green light to do anything he wants. and if Durant keeps it up, i think it will translate very well into the playoffs. as for him shooting 2-11 and 4-15....everyone has bad games here and there every once in awhile.

Please don't compare Durant to MJ.

MJ was a beast defensively.

Just because you may put up MJ #'s offensively doesn't make you MJ.

archdevil84
04-13-2014, 06:59 PM
i'm not an OKC fan but if i was i would be pleased with any shot kevin durant takes and be frustrated by stupid shots RWB takes (mostly his long pullup threes). RWB should just use his speed to blow by defenders and finish at the rim

Knick_Fever
04-13-2014, 07:04 PM
I feel these 2 guys could be so much better than they are. Sometimes I feel that they lack the intangibles and IQs.

Today, they jacked up a combined 21 3 pointers between the two, converting on only 5 of them. (23.8%)

Westbrook: 3-10

KD: 2-11

Just last Sunday against PHX, they jacked up a combined 24 3 pointers and made only 6 (25%)

Westbrook: 2-9

KD: 4-15

Can they win a title being primarily a jumpshooting team with their stars relying so heavily on the 3?

Excellent question. My answer is simply NO. Their offense is predicated on how well KD and West are doing offensively, miss some shots and they're in trouble. They're talented enough to get them far, but teams with a good defensive team IQ will be able to disrupt OKC's offense scheme, which isn't sophisticated to say the least.

albertajaysfan
04-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Sometimes.

Which is the worst part about this team. They show flashes of being a great team. They have great parts but they can't seem to put it together for any long period of time.

FOBolous
04-13-2014, 07:12 PM

why shouldn't i compare Durant's offensive game to MJ when...

1. you're critiquing his offensive game?

and

2. Durant's offensive efficiency has reached MJ's level?

now..if you're critiquing his defensive abilities or his overall game, i wouldn't compare him to Jordan. but offensively? he definitely deserves to be mention in the same sentence as Jordan...especially when he got closer to Jordan on offense than any other wing player in NBA history.

but yea, i agree with you that Durant is putting up MJ's #s on offense :)

Sandman
04-13-2014, 07:18 PM

Playoff basketball is about keeping those efficient levels against the top defenses and coaches that have 7 games in a row to give it their best

I think Durant, like Melo and Dirk, can do it against anybody. LeBron used to get funky when you made him shoot but you damn sure can't leave him open for 3s anymore.

I feel like its still different though, LeBron gets his jumpshots from open looks from that extra foot defenders have to give him. Durant, Dirk, Melo and even an old Kobe can get off a shot in a phone booth from anywhere on the floor. That, IMO, is what defines a player in crunch time. Not the percentages or the overall efficiency, getting it done when the coach has a time out and the other team knows where the ball is going.

Its about his 'mates. Durant could easily go play for play, shot for shot with Lebron and its nowhere close to enough.

Here is another question, if Durant doesn't make the finals this year, or worse doesn't make the WCF this year, will the media blame Durant? The media has the same issue with Carmelo now. They took the same issue with ARod even in a 25 man sport until 2009 when the Yanks won. Happens all the time with QBs in the NFL. They had the same issue with Lebron with Cleveland and even through the 2011 finals loss to Dallas. LeBron is why they lost ---- not LeBron is the ****ing reason they had any business being there in the first place ---- LeBron is the reason they lost.

The X factor for OKC needs to be IBAKA. Right up next to Durant and RWB, this guy is a freak. And he's shooting 3 pointers this year at a 40% clip? If they only had a decent center. Picture this team with Tyson Chandler or Emeka Okafor instead of KP. Hell just give them a high effort guy that does things right, picture them with Gortat. For the money KP gets they are all in the same range.

Method28
04-13-2014, 07:20 PM

On top of that, please don't mention Kobe and efficiency together as well

Sandman
04-13-2014, 07:20 PM

hate to break it to you but you just compared him to MJ and validated his point.

he said efficiency 3 times. only talking offense here.

flea
04-13-2014, 07:21 PM

Uh what? Because you're good at the most efficient shot in basketball you should do it less?

tr3ymill3r
04-13-2014, 07:26 PM
I don't particularly care for PGs like Westbrook when you have a guy on the team like Durant. I still believe the Thunder messed up big time a few years ago when they had a roster of Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Ibaka and Green. They could have easily moved Westbrook and Green for CP3 in NO and then dealt Harden and Ibaka for Dwight Howard in Orlando. I also believe that those trade scenarios would have been quite possible and accepted and not changed due to basketball reasons, that trio is also better than Wade, LeBron and Bosh.

FOBolous
04-13-2014, 07:31 PM
I don't particularly care for PGs like Westbrook when you have a guy on the team like Durant. I still believe the Thunder messed up big time a few years ago when they had a roster of Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Ibaka and Green. They could have easily moved Westbrook and Green for CP3 in NO and then dealt Harden and Ibaka for Dwight Howard in Orlando. I also believe that those trade scenarios would have been quite possible and accepted and not changed due to basketball reasons, that trio is also better than Wade, LeBron and Bosh.

hindsight is 20/20. at that time, everyone knew Harden was good but not THIS good, Ibaka was young and led the league in blocks, and Westbrook was shaping up to be one of the league's top 5 players. it's not hard to see why the Thunders chose to deal Harden and keep the core of young Westbrook (a PG)/Durant (a SF)/Ibaka (a PF). a core of PG/SF/PF makes more sense than SG/SF/PF. However, i think Thunder made a mistake dealing Harden to a conference rival....

FOBolous
04-13-2014, 07:35 PM
Playoff basketball is about keeping those efficient levels against the top defenses and coaches that have 7 games in a row to give it their best

I think Durant, like Melo and Dirk, can do it against anybody. LeBron used to get funky when you made him shoot but you damn sure can't leave him open for 3s anymore.

I feel like its still different though, LeBron gets his jumpshots from open looks from that extra foot defenders have to give him. Durant, Dirk, Melo and even an old Kobe can get off a shot in a phone booth from anywhere on the floor. That, IMO, is what defines a player in crunch time. Not the percentages or the overall efficiency, getting it done when the coach has a time out and the other team knows where the ball is going.

Its about his 'mates. Durant could easily go play for play, shot for shot with Lebron and its nowhere close to enough.

Here is another question, if Durant doesn't make the finals this year, or worse doesn't make the WCF this year, will the media blame Durant? The media has the same issue with Carmelo now. They took the same issue with ARod even in a 25 man sport until 2009 when the Yanks won. Happens all the time with QBs in the NFL. They had the same issue with Lebron with Cleveland and even through the 2011 finals loss to Dallas. LeBron is why they lost ---- not LeBron is the ****ing reason they had any business being there in the first place ---- LeBron is the reason they lost.

The X factor for OKC needs to be IBAKA. Right up next to Durant and RWB, this guy is a freak. And he's shooting 3 pointers this year at a 40% clip? If they only had a decent center. Picture this team with Tyson Chandler or Emeka Okafor instead of KP. Hell just give them a high effort guy that does things right, picture them with Gortat. For the money KP gets they are all in the same range.

with how competitive the Western Conference is, i think critics might give Durant a little time and leeway...just like how they've been patient with Chris Paul. The media has issues with Melo, because he's reaching the twilight of his prime and has yet to really accomplished anything. his team didn't even make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. Lebron was critiqued, because...as you said...he made some poor decisions and disappeared in clutch situations.

but yea, Durant needs his teammates step up.

JEDean89
04-13-2014, 07:39 PM
durant and westbrook are a younger lebron/wade, they will figure it out. Ibaka is the perfect complimentary piece for them and when steven adams starts to play well, watch out, this team is a C away from a chip, i honestly see them beating SAS in the WCF. The semi's are gonna be amazing this year, SAS, OKC, HOU, and LAC are all great teams to watch, and any of those 4 can come out on top.

Sandman
04-13-2014, 09:27 PM
with how competitive the Western Conference is, i think critics might give Durant a little time and leeway...just like how they've been patient with Chris Paul. The media has issues with Melo, because he's reaching the twilight of his prime and has yet to really accomplished anything. his team didn't even make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. Lebron was critiqued, because...as you said...he made some poor decisions and disappeared in clutch situations.

but yea, Durant needs his teammates step up.

Very good point, CP3. Gets his due respect without BS flak. Especially true about the Western Conference too. Melo misses the playoffs once in 10 years but now he's in NY so it was up to him.

sammyvine
04-13-2014, 09:42 PM
I won't be surprised if KD and Westbrook end up this generations Malone and Stockon although very different players...

I just don't seem them winning a ring together for some reason.

kobe4thewinbang
04-13-2014, 10:03 PM
Can you guys really blame KD for playing that way, though? The dude is a toothpick and can't quite bang in the paint, despite his height. He needs to bulk up and become more post-savvy/bull-like e.g. LeBron James. He can hit some amazing three pointers, but if he refuses to bulk up and play the post, he needs to shoot from mid range like Dirk.