PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Richmond makes HOF. More deserving players?

DreamShaker
04-13-2014, 01:36 AM
Let me start off by saying I have no issue with Mitch making it in. But are there guys better than him who keep getting the shaft? I personally agree with what Bill Simmons wrote about Sidney Moncrief not being in. I just don't get it. Who can you think of?

abe_froman
04-13-2014, 01:55 AM
kj
sikma

shep33
04-13-2014, 05:21 AM
One of my favorite players as a kid. Effortless shot.

I'm looking at his numbers and they're solid, but it was a travesty when he went to the Kings. They just had zero talent around him for years. Wasn't much better in Washington. Perhaps it was the offense, or the higher quality teammates, but his years in Golden State (first 3) were arguably his best.

JasonJohnHorn
04-13-2014, 07:46 AM
If you rank all the shooting guards in the NBA from the 88/89 season through to the 98/99 season, the second best shooting guard would likely be Mitch Richmond on a lot of lists.

It would go:
Jordan.
Drexler.
Richmond.

or:
Jordan.
Richmond.
Drexler.

Over the course of a decade, he was the best, second best, or third best shooting guard each season with the exception of the 98/99 season. A grossly underrated defender, amazing scorer, and solid all-around player.

Are there players who are better than him that aren't in yet? Sure. But he deserves to be in. Moncrief does as well, and a host of guys.

Who at his position should be in that's not and is better than Richmond? That list is SHORT!

hidalgo
04-13-2014, 09:01 AM
i don't think he was on Drexler's level, but he was really good & deserves the HOF honor. Run TMC was good, & he showed there that his scoring ability wasn't just because he was the 1 great player on a bad team(they had 2 other 20+ ppg guys & Mitch still got his 20+ ppg). the Kings rosters were really bad(a whopping 1 other all star played in sac from 92-98 the 1 time all star Otis Thorpe in 98 washed up old & nowhere near his prime. he was an all star in 1992 for the Rockets. no other sac player made so much as 1 all star game from 92-98 even for another team like thorpe did. Richmond's entire sac career he got a washed up Thorpe his last year there as the only player that made an all star team at any point. ummmmm WOW......),

the wizards rosters were a little better(still weak), but he was past his prime. underrated defender. good college career. gold medal 1996. his oddly few playoff games 23 total, 21 prime true playoff games, he played really good, but obviously he's in because his regular season play & 20,000+ points. 10 straight seasons over 21.8 ppg. he was Ray Allen before Ray Allen, closest comparison i can think of(Reggie Miller comes to mind too). the fact that Michael Jordan always gave Mitch a ton of credit was cool too

i think if he went to the Knicks in place of Starks, they'd have won a title. the 1994 title they nearly won with Starks, & maybe 1995 as well.

NoahH
04-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Basketball HoF is too easy to get into bottom line. Richmond is a 6x all star with a ring and a rookie of the year which is enough for a HoF.

lol, please
04-14-2014, 01:14 AM
Let me start off by saying I have no issue with Mitch making it in. But are there guys better than him who keep getting the shaft? I personally agree with what Bill Simmons wrote about Sidney Moncrief not being in. I just don't get it. Who can you think of?

None. He was long over due.

Chronz
04-14-2014, 01:33 AM
yes! yes! yes! yes! yes!

HOF shouldn't have too high standards IMO. It should also have room for role players alongside stars

IKnowHoops
04-14-2014, 02:58 AM
I personally would of put Tim Hardaway above Mitch Richmond and I def would of put him in the hall of fame already. Both are more than worthy in my opinion.

Hawkeye15
04-14-2014, 03:39 AM
no offense to Mitch, I liked him as a player, but if you make a layup in a playoff game, you have a good chance at the basketball HOF

I just don't put a ton of weight into the HOF for basketball.

Hawkeye15
04-14-2014, 03:40 AM
yes! yes! yes! yes! yes!

HOF shouldn't have too high standards IMO. It should also have room for role players alongside stars

oh, it doesn't.

nico916
04-14-2014, 04:45 AM
I saw him play in person many times in Sacramento and believe me his best years were in Sac unfortunately he had a bad team around him in Sac. MJ said he was toughest guy he played against he didnt say that when he was in Goldenstate. the Warriors had a better team so he was probably more effecient but trust me when I say dude was unstoppable and all of his peers praised him as one of the better players in the league in the 90's. A simple Youtube search will back up what im saying about MJ on Mitch. He was an underatted two way polayer he did everything for those kings teams even played the point and he played almost every minute of every game. If Sac had a better team around him who knows what more he could have accomplished. I cant stress enough had he had the good fortune of having a good team around him he would probably have met MJ in the finals a time or two. Also Had he not had the bad habbit of having his toe on the three point line he would be way higher on the all time 3's list.

JayW_1023
04-14-2014, 11:14 AM
I would like to see Glen Rice make it. Best looking jump shot in the history of the game.

todu82
04-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Congrats to Richmond on getting into the Hall of Fame, well deserved.