PDA

View Full Version : Player Hold outs

Ese Vato Loco
04-12-2014, 11:59 PM
What happens if someone like Andrew wiggins holds out to play in Canada. or someone doest like what team there drafted too? like steve francis did back in the day. is there any new rules or penalties/? or is it a possibility still?

Tony_Starks
04-13-2014, 12:16 AM
How can you penalize someone for having a preference? Furthermore why would you want to draft someone that doesn't want to play for your team?

NYKNYGNYY
04-13-2014, 12:26 AM
How can you penalize someone for having a preference? Furthermore why would you want to draft someone that doesn't want to play for your team?

Chargers did it and would have made out pretty we'll had they drafted better ... They got merriman (roids outta the game) and nick Novak I believe?

Diff sport but same concept

NoahH
04-13-2014, 01:24 PM

Vancouver - Steve Francis
Charlotte - Kobe
Dallas - Kiki Vandeweghe

are just a couple instances where a team drafted a player who didnt want to play for them.

IndyRealist
04-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Removing incorrect information.

waveycrockett
04-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Some GM's wont go for that and they shouldn't. Daryl Morey would definitely let any "holdout" rot overseas then being forced into a trade. NBA rookies hold very little leverage in the draft process. They should wait until free agency to play their cards.

TheMightyHumph
04-13-2014, 01:52 PM
If a player is drafted in 1st rd in the '14 draft, and doesn't want to play for the team that drafted him, and doesn't sign with that team or any other team, the team that drafted him holds his draft rights until the draft of '15, at which time I believe he enters the draft again.

Larry Coon's CBA/FAQ #50

IndyRealist
04-13-2014, 01:57 PM
If a player is drafted in 1st rd in the '14 draft, and doesn't want to play for the team that drafted him, and doesn't sign with that team or any other team, the team that drafted him holds his draft rights until the draft of '15, at which time I believe he enters the draft again.

This is correct, as long as he does not sign with a non-nba team. If he signs with another league, the team retains his rights. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q50

abe_froman
04-13-2014, 02:01 PM
torontohuskies ,is that you? =P

...but short answer is no,i mean he can try,but gm's have taken much tougher stances since the days of kobe and francis.rumors of yi and rubio holding out if they didnt get the team they wanted did nothing to deter franchises from taking and simply play chicken with them.wiggins will go where he's drafted.

dhopisthename
04-13-2014, 02:07 PM
I can't imagine he would ever do that. he has to know that the raptors can't get him.

MrfadeawayJB
04-13-2014, 02:17 PM
torontohuskies ,is that you? =P

...but short answer is no,i mean he can try,but gm's have taken much tougher stances since the days of kobe and francis.rumors of yi and rubio holding out if they didnt get the team they wanted did nothing to deter franchises from taking and simply play chicken with them.wiggins will go where he's drafted.

Actually the grizz were thinking about taking Rubio but he basically said he didn't want to be here. Therefore the grizz passed him up