PDA

View Full Version : If the Grizzlies, Suns, & Wolves were in the East?

Ware_Spencer
04-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Sorry if a question like this has already been asked. I don't visit the forum as much as I used to.

Seeing how all 3 clubs are above 500. and most likely 2 of them won't be making the playoffs.
Grizzlies
Suns
Wolves

If they had a eastern schedule what place would they finish in the Eastern Conference?

As of 4/13/2014
10:00 AM (Eastern Time)

1 - Heat
2 - Pacers
3 - Bulls
4 - Raptors
5 - Nets
6 - Wizards
7 - Bobcats
8 - Atlanta

KnicksorBust
04-12-2014, 01:22 PM
The Grizzlies would be in a fight for the 3 seed. I see the Suns settling into the 4-5 matchup. Wolves would knock out the Bobcats/Hawks.

It's not nearly as bad as it was earlier in the year though. Only one team is really getting screwed (one out of Mavs/Grizz/Suns) and only one team is really getting "lucky" (Hawks).

Goose17
04-12-2014, 01:36 PM
The Grizzlies would be in a fight for the 3 seed. I see the Suns settling into the 4-5 matchup. Wolves would knock out the Bobcats/Hawks.

I agree with this^

Without knowing what their schedule would be, I would say it would end up looking like...

1 - Heat
2 - Pacers
3 - Bulls
4 - Memphis
5 - Raptors
6 - Phoenix
7/8 Nets/Wizards/Bobcats/Minnesota

Phoenix could easily snatch that 5th seed though.

P&GRealist
04-12-2014, 01:36 PM

It's not nearly as bad as it was earlier in the year though. Only one team is really getting screwed (one out of Mavs/Grizz/Suns) and only one team is really getting "lucky" (Hawks).

No all 3 teams are getting screwed. One that won't make it, one that if it were in the east would probably have home court in the first rd and face inferior competition rather than starting out on the road against OKC or SAS. And about the same for the 3rd team.

mdm692
04-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Lol. The Suns would run circles around anyone not named Bulls and Heat. Geographically speaking though it would have to be Wolves, Pels and Grizz and they would all be in the playoffs.

jon32
04-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Heat
Pacers
Bulls
Suns/Raptors
Raptors/Suns
Grizzlies
Wizards/Wolves
Wolves/Wizards

dalton749
04-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Lol. The Suns would run circles around anyone not named Bulls and Heat. Geographically speaking though it would have to be Wolves, Pels and Grizz and they would all be in the playoffs.

the suns play style of running circles around people isnt suited for playoff basketball at all

MrfadeawayJB
04-12-2014, 04:48 PM
Keep in mind these teams would play a more east heavy schedule which would also increase win totals

mdm692
04-12-2014, 05:16 PM
the suns play style of running circles around people isnt suited for playoff basketball at all
In the West you're right but in the East it wouldn't be an issue.

Hawkeye15
04-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Keep in mind these teams would play a more east heavy schedule which would also increase win totals

exactly. If all three of those teams were in the east, I think they are seeds 3-5.

sunsfan88
04-12-2014, 05:58 PM
I honestl wish they would move the Suns to the East. I don't gives ***** if it doesn't make sense geographically.

Swap the Suns and Bucks around.

It would make the NBA at least more competitive.

RandomGaminCrew
04-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Then there would be no way the knicks have a chance to make the playoffs.

Shammyguy3
04-12-2014, 11:21 PM
1. MIA
2. IND
3. MEM
4. MIN
5. PHO
6. CHI
7. TOR
8. BRK

is probably what it would end up being (can swap PHO and MIN if you wish)

Shammyguy3
04-12-2014, 11:26 PM
If the NBA had a playoff format of just having the 16 teams with the best record make the playoffs, the matchups would be

1. Spurs 16. Bobcats
8. Warriors 9. Mavericks
4. Heat 13. Raptors
5. Pacers 12. Suns

3. Clippers 14. Nets
6. Rockets 11. Bulls
2. Thunder 15. Wizards
7. Blazers 10. Grizzlies

bearadonisdna
04-12-2014, 11:34 PM
No all 3 teams are getting screwed. One that won't make it, one that if it were in the east would probably have home court in the first rd and face inferior competition rather than starting out on the road against OKC or SAS. And about the same for the 3rd team.

If a team cant make the playoff in their conference they have no shot at winning a title and they should shut up about it.

DallasTrilla23
04-13-2014, 12:06 AM
If a team cant make the playoff in their conference they have no shot at winning a title and they should shut up about it.

The wolves have a legitimate reason to complain about this, They're on the verge of losing their franchise player because they can't make the playoffs in a conference where you probably have to get 50 wins to get in but there's teams below .500 in the east that are making the playoffs.
If the Wolves were in the east, there would be no Doubts about Love leaving next year, they would be a top seed and Love might be in the MVP conversation.

KnicksorBust
04-13-2014, 12:13 AM
1. MIA
2. IND
3. MEM
4. MIN
5. PHO
6. CHI
7. TOR
8. BRK

is probably what it would end up being (can swap PHO and MIN if you wish)

How the hell are the Wolves the 4 seed?

Pablonovi
04-13-2014, 12:34 AM
Comparing the number of wins per West team vs East team shows almost exactly 8 more averaged over all 15 teams. This is an incredible gap.
So, the three West teams in this scenario EASILY get the #3, 4, 5 seeds.
AND with the way Indy has been playing for the entire second half of the season (and would be playing even worse with this 3 teams switched to the East); I say Indy gets beaten by whichever of the # 3, #4 teams (from the West).

Have you-all noticed that even the new comish has come out and stated that they are going to look into re-vamping the Playoff-qualification system.
Article Title: "Adam Silver says NBA will ‘take a fresh look’ at changing playoff format to include league’s best teams"
Link: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=300202

N.B. I raised this issue about 9 months ago, in my first PSD thread and poll, entitled "Hey NBA Commissioner, How About Putting The Best 16 Teams In The Playoffs". The discussion lasted 2 weeks (from late July to early August) and had a number of very good points.

It might be worth your while to review the points pro and con NOW in light of the new Commissioner's comments AND in light of this super-lopsided season where a very good West Conf. team, (which will have ended up some 15 games over .500 DESPITE playing most of its games against West Conf. opposition) will be deprived of a playoffs spot; while the Atlanta Haws, against much weaker competition (8 games worse PER team), gets to qualify despite ending up some 6 or so games UNDER .500 . (Heck the T-Wolves are a lot more deserving than the Hawks. Personally, I'd MUCH rather see K. Love & company in the playoffs.)

Here's the link to that thread: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?830369-Hey-NBA-Commissioner-How-About-Putting-The-Best-16-Teams-In-The-Playoffs

You might notice in that thread, that most of the "no" votes (meaning the system should NOT be changed) were based on three main arguments:
1) The system is fair enough as it is;
2) The NBA will never change the system; and/or
3) Too much Playoff travel time.

The new commissioner clearly admits that:
1) The system is definitely NOT fair;
2) The NBA might very well change the system; and
3) With chartered flights, the Playoff travel time issue is very minor.

koreancabbage
04-13-2014, 01:12 AM
The wolves have a legitimate reason to complain about this, They're on the verge of losing their franchise player because they can't make the playoffs in a conference where you probably have to get 50 wins to get in but there's teams below .500 in the east that are making the playoffs.
If the Wolves were in the east, there would be no Doubts about Love leaving next year, they would be a top seed and Love might be in the MVP conversation.

thats management's fault. so ya, tough luck.

Shammyguy3
04-13-2014, 01:28 AM

They've been so bad in close games this year, that I think being in the EC those closer games would turn out to be not so close, giving them more wins. Then, racking up some more victories could ignite some boosted confidence for the whole roster. I did say you can swap PHO/MIN too, but I think everything has gone bad for Minny ... being in the East wouldn't change all of it, but changing a few variables could bring their record far closer to their anticipated W-L record than it currently is.

KB24PG16
04-13-2014, 01:34 AM
If the NBA had a playoff format of just having the 16 teams with the best record make the playoffs, the matchups would be

1. Spurs 16. Bobcats
8. Warriors 9. Mavericks
4. Heat 13. Raptors
5. Pacers 12. Suns

3. Clippers 14. Nets
6. Rockets 11. Bulls
2. Thunder 15. Wizards
7. Blazers 10. Grizzlies

i was thinking the same thing, could make the playoffs far more interesting than it is now

Hawkeye15
04-13-2014, 02:01 AM

seeing as they statistically show as a 47-32 win team, in a west favorite schedule, why not?

Hawkeye15
04-13-2014, 02:02 AM
They've been so bad in close games this year, that I think being in the EC those closer games would turn out to be not so close, giving them more wins. Then, racking up some more victories could ignite some boosted confidence for the whole roster. I did say you can swap PHO/MIN too, but I think everything has gone bad for Minny ... being in the East wouldn't change all of it, but changing a few variables could bring their record far closer to their anticipated W-L record than it currently is.

not only that, but the Wolves lead the NBA in 20, and 30 point leads. They would have blown out so many more games with an east favorable schedule

Oh well...

Vampirate
04-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Memphis and Pheonix would probably be battling for the 3rd seed while Chicago, Toronto and Minnesota would be battling for the 5th seed.

AddiX
04-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Those teams have always been in the west, this is nothing new, stop acting like some kind of victim based on some new rule or reshaping of conferences and divisions.

You build your team based on what you think you need to win in the division and conference your in. If your team isn't build to win, it isn't build to win, quit your damn crying.

Mother ****ers in here making up new stats and philosophies to ease there pain and ****, that **** is sad.

All these "if" statements. Bunch of nonsense.

Goose17
04-13-2014, 01:28 PM
You build your team based on what you think you need to win in the division and conference your in. If your team isn't build to win, it isn't build

But winning in the East is exceptionally easier.

Chronz
04-13-2014, 01:45 PM

I would have them that high too. They are much better than their record indicates, they just suck in close games, which Im guessing would happen less frequently in the East.

Pablonovi
04-13-2014, 02:44 PM
I would have them that high too. They are much better than their record indicates, they just suck in close games, which Im guessing would happen less frequently in the East.

Hey High Horse,
Keeping in mind that, across the board of all 15 teams in each conference, the West teams are 8 games better than their correspondingly-ranked East teams, and that, with only one slight exception (Miami being slightly better than the rest in this regard) all 15 East Teams played easier schedules than all 15 West teams ... so putting the T-Wolves that high is no real stretch at all.

Why don't they just have the entire Western Conference plus Miami (circa #5 overall seed) in the Playoffs. The overall quality would definitely be a good deal better than what we're going to get in a week or so.

It might also give a not-so-gentle kick in the arse to the rest of the Eastern Conf. which has been underperforming for decades now. (Kind of like "resting" the Indy starters that one game vs Milwaukee).

Chronz
04-14-2014, 12:36 AM
Hey High Horse,
Keeping in mind that, across the board of all 15 teams in each conference, the West teams are 8 games better than their correspondingly-ranked East teams, and that, with only one slight exception (Miami being slightly better than the rest in this regard) all 15 East Teams played easier schedules than all 15 West teams ... so putting the T-Wolves that high is no real stretch at all.

Why don't they just have the entire Western Conference plus Miami (circa #5 overall seed) in the Playoffs. The overall quality would definitely be a good deal better than what we're going to get in a week or so.

It might also give a not-so-gentle kick in the arse to the rest of the Eastern Conf. which has been underperforming for decades now. (Kind of like "resting" the Indy starters that one game vs Milwaukee).
I think it would hurt rivalries that happen as a result of isolated conferences IMO.

And I know it doesn't offset missing the playoffs, but do you think its fair that one of the western teams is going to get a higher draft pick than the 8th seeded/sub.500 Hawks?

Pablonovi
04-14-2014, 06:02 PM
I think it would hurt rivalries that happen as a result of isolated conferences IMO.

And I know it doesn't offset missing the playoffs, but do you think its fair that one of the western teams is going to get a higher draft pick than the 8th seeded/sub.500 Hawks?

Hey High Horse,
Look, let's "Get Real" here:
I'm all for fairness everywhere all the time (except, hehe, if it hurts my Lakers) !

On a more serious note:
The thing about rivalries; I grew up on the NBA; back then, the mid-late '50's there were really rivalries; teams were playing each other several times a year. One proof of that: Wilt played 140+ games VS the Celtics !

Honestly, I'd love it if there were real rivalries nowadays; but even the players don't recognize any rival teams. You see this in when they're interviewed. So, honestly, I don't think there is much in the way of rivalries to be lost.

About a West team getting what should really be the Hawk's pick:
I truly am overwhelmingly driven by fairness-first. So, yes, it ain't fair, so I'm against it.
OTOH, as you say, "It doesn't offset not making the playoffs."
I guess this latter bigger unfairness outweighs (in my mind anyway) the earlier "Hawk's" one.
Is this a case of "two wrongs making a right"? - beats me (hehe)
Pablo

Duncan = Donkey
04-14-2014, 07:27 PM
seeing as they statistically show as a 47-32 win team, in a west favorite schedule, why not?

Because PHX are better

THE MTL
04-14-2014, 11:48 PM
Memphis would easily be third seed perhaps even second. They are at 48 wins in the West so that would already put them at a tie for 3rd seed and then considering how weak the competition is 2nd seed isn't out the question. And then I got the Suns right after the Grizzlies at 4th seed. The Wolves would probably end up with 7th/8th seed in a fight with the wizards over the last seed

goingfor28
04-15-2014, 12:00 AM
And Indiana would be the 4 seed in the west

canzano55
04-15-2014, 02:10 AM
Those teams have always been in the west, this is nothing new, stop acting like some kind of victim based on some new rule or reshaping of conferences and divisions.

You build your team based on what you think you need to win in the division and conference your in. If your team isn't build to win, it isn't build to win, quit your damn crying.

Mother ****ers in here making up new stats and philosophies to ease there pain and ****, that **** is sad.

All these "if" statements. Bunch of nonsense.This.

dalton749
04-15-2014, 04:53 AM
Anyone else find it funny that the suns didn't make the playoffs.
They wasted what was expected to be a high pick to come up short and get the last lotto pick.
They were a nice surprise but that was just terrible management to allow that to happen for a pretty much guaranteed 1st round out

Duncan = Donkey
04-15-2014, 07:27 AM
Anyone else find it funny that the suns didn't make the playoffs.
They wasted what was expected to be a high pick to come up short and get the last lotto pick.
They were a nice surprise but that was just terrible management to allow that to happen for a pretty much guaranteed 1st round out

Not sure if serious....But No I dont see how its funny, id rather be a good young team, than a ****** young team.

Terrible management?? what should McDonough have done? told hornacek to not play Dragic? Play Bledsoe at PF? Trade away players for scrubs? Tell Hornacek to play the rookies big minutes even though they dont deserve them.

The same thing can be said about alot teams. Toronto are stupid they have no chance at winning anything, yet they are going to be picking 19th in the draft. Terrible Management.
c.

Toxeryll
04-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Memphis and Phoenix will easily be in the playoffs 3-6 range. Then maybe Minny would be fighting for the last spot.

Chronz
04-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Memphis and Phoenix will easily be in the playoffs 3-6 range. Then maybe Minny would be fighting for the last spot.
LOL wat?

KnicksorBust
04-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Not sure if serious....But No I dont see how its funny, id rather be a good young team, than a ****** young team.

Terrible management?? what should McDonough have done? told hornacek to not play Dragic? Play Bledsoe at PF? Trade away players for scrubs? Tell Hornacek to play the rookies big minutes even though they dont deserve them.

The same thing can be said about alot teams. Toronto are stupid they have no chance at winning anything, yet they are going to be picking 19th in the draft. Terrible Management.
c.

I actually agree about Toronto... I think Phoenix has the key ingredients to a proper rebuild and could be contending soon with the right additions to the front-court but Toronto is in NBA purgatory, which is essentially NBA Hell.

dalton749
04-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Toronto has a much better opportunity to make a run in the playoffs than Phoenix would have had.
And purgatory? They're the 3 seed. And what team is going to take that away next year?
They've been the best team in the east since the Rudy trade and have a very young team, a young allstar in derozan, and two sophomores in their starting lineup with crazy potential.
They will have a good cap situation next year and extra picks in the coming years. Sounds pretty decent to me

todu82
04-15-2014, 11:33 AM

1. Spurs 16. Bobcats
8. Warriors 9. Mavericks
4. Heat 13. Raptors
5. Pacers 12. Suns

3. Clippers 14. Nets
6. Rockets 11. Bulls
2. Thunder 15. Wizards
7. Blazers 10. Grizzlies

I've wanted the NHL to do something similar for years with their playoff format. Makes more sense in the NBA given the balance of power greatly favours the West.

KnicksorBust
04-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Toronto has a much better opportunity to make a run in the playoffs than Phoenix would have had.
And purgatory? They're the 3 seed. And what team is going to take that away next year?
They've been the best team in the east since the Rudy trade and have a very young team, a young allstar in derozan, and two sophomores in their starting lineup with crazy potential.
They will have a good cap situation next year and extra picks in the coming years. Sounds pretty decent to me

Correction: Toronto has a better chance THIS year to win one playoff round. If they beat the Wizards (welcome back Nene) then they will be eliminated easily in round 2. The cap space that you speak of will be swallowed up by extending Kyle Lowry... unless of course they let him walk in which case they take a huge step backward. Lose-lose.

dalton749
04-15-2014, 12:39 PM
The 20 mil combined that Lowry and derozan will make is hardly lose lose for one of the best back courts in the league, and their only 2 large contracts