PDA

View Full Version : Roy Hibbert 's rebounding ability

Chrisclover
04-12-2014, 12:25 AM
Hell, why he sucks this much ?last game against the Heat, he just got 1 rebound. After the ASG, he averages 4.5 rebounds a game. :facepalm:is he a center or a guard ?

freejimmer
04-12-2014, 12:26 AM
He overrate. He not have it all.

Pacer finish.

Chrisclover
04-12-2014, 12:31 AM

Pacer finish.

He gets paid 14m this year. If i am not mistaken.

HouRealCoach
04-12-2014, 12:33 AM
Where are those guys who were praising him as better than Dwight last year?

Chrisclover
04-12-2014, 12:33 AM
After ASG, his PER is around 10.

HouRealCoach
04-12-2014, 12:34 AM
The guy sucks.. Always have and always will. I remember about 3 years ago a few of you believed he'd be better than Dwight back then also

Slug3
04-12-2014, 12:36 AM
He should be lucky he plays now and not in the 90s. If he was playing back then, he would be lucky to be a backup center in the league.

Chrisclover
04-12-2014, 12:38 AM
Rumors say that lately he is at odds with George because of the conflicts during 3P in bed :facepalm: Dunno if it is true but it is sort of reasonable since George is so horny.

P&GRealist
04-12-2014, 12:38 AM
He should be lucky he plays now and not in the 90s. If he was playing back then, he would be lucky to be a backup center in the league.

He'd be another Keith Kloss

kobe4thewinbang
04-12-2014, 12:40 AM
There is no reason for him to NOT be getting rebounds, and a lot of them at that.

"You can't teach size!"

But you can fail to use it.

Chronz
04-12-2014, 12:42 AM
Hibberts game would improve in the 90s, but his impact would possibly be diminished

Chrisclover
04-12-2014, 12:45 AM

I just dont understand. He is about the same height as Yao Ming but Yao could average like 9 balls a game.Hibbert, career -wise, just gets 7 or 8?I think he shall be more agile than Yao and gets 2 rebounds more. But now ?he is as mediocre as a backup center,with 4.5 rebounds a game after the ASG, which resembles George 's. Maybe now Bosh is better than him, rebound-wise ?

Chrisclover
04-12-2014, 12:49 AM
There is no reason for him to NOT be getting rebounds, and a lot of them at that.

"You can't teach size!"

But you can fail to use it.

this reminds of a thread a couple months ago, which claims that a 7 footer can easily be a top center without much effort. Now Hibbert 's performance is a slap on that thread's creator 's face.

goingfor28
04-12-2014, 12:52 AM
Rumors say that lately he is at odds with George because of the conflicts during 3P in bed :facepalm: Dunno if it is true but it is sort of reasonable since George is so horny.

What?!?!?!???? Lollllll

Chrisclover
04-12-2014, 01:01 AM
What?!?!?!???? Lollllll

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/547125/20140408/paul-george-roy-hibbert.htm#.U0jIB31B3XY

Hibbert, George in Sexual Incident Rumor
The sudden implosion of the previously dominant Pacers certainly caught the attention of the entire basketball universe. While most of the analysts cited several basketball-related issues for their decline, a rumour circulating that the team's two main stars - George and Hibbert - are involved in an awkward sexual incident.
Page Q had their report on the alleged sexual incident involving the two Pacers All-Stars, though the validity of their stories are in question just like the George's catfishing scandal several weeks ago.

goku
04-12-2014, 01:25 AM
might as well merge this with the Hibbert overrated thread I created lol

still1ballin
04-12-2014, 01:39 AM
Overated

DillyDill
04-12-2014, 01:46 AM

Yea I admit it you were right. And I was defending this guy for being top 5 C, what a disgrace.

UPRock
04-12-2014, 02:42 AM
according to 19 sources close to the indiana pacers, the team’s recent deterioration is largely due to an awkward sexual incident between former stars roy hibbert and paul george.

“it all started with a groupie named dixie,” one highly dependable source says. “roy and paul were engaging in a threesome with her after the win against utah on march 2. But they ended up crossing swords, and then there was lots of shouting and crying. The team obviously hasn’t recovered.”

lmaoooo

P&GRealist
04-12-2014, 02:46 AM
^lol who came up with that ?

UPRock
04-12-2014, 02:56 AM
^lol who came up with that ?

http://www.pageqsports.com/2014/04/sources-pacers-implosion-due-to-sexual-incident-with-paul-george-roy-hibbert/

PurpleLynch
04-12-2014, 04:58 AM
Send him to Catfish:the tv show.With George also.

Hawkeye15
04-12-2014, 07:21 AM
to be fair, he has great rebounders around him at every position. But yeah, he should be better. Vogel wants him contesting everything, and lets his forwards/guards clean up the mess rebounding wise.

Goose17
04-12-2014, 08:35 AM
I'm a big believer in height not being as big an asset in rebounding as people think. Strength, timing and positioning matter more.

I think Hibbert just has a low I.Q when it comes to that sort of thing, he doesn't seem very good at working out the angles and where a ball is likely to fall.

FlashBolt
04-12-2014, 09:43 AM
How are you that big and can't grab boards?

cardinals1226
04-12-2014, 09:55 AM
How are you that big and can't grab boards?

Did you not read the post directly above yours?

SteBO
04-12-2014, 10:00 AM
Haslem did a solid job keeping him away from the paint on both ends last night...same thing occurred in the second half of the last meeting @IND. But his rebounding has been severely underwhelming well before last nights game...just goes to show you that all the size in the world is meaningless if not applied the right way. Hibbert's still pretty young and may end up being a late bloomer, but right now...I don't have an answer for why he isn't a much better rebounder than he currently is.

IndyRealist
04-12-2014, 10:43 AM
If you actually watch Indiana play, the center (either Hibbert or Mahimni) always rotate to challenge dribble penetration. If a guy gets in the lane, they get met by Hibbert. The center does not box out the opposing center, it is the job of the weakside defender to rotate and rebound. Unfortunately, that would be David West or Luis Scola, and they are both mediocre defenders and rarely rotate in time. That is why guys like Chris Andersen and Udonis Haslem look like all-stars against the Pacers, because they are always wide open.

3RDASYSTEM
04-12-2014, 11:08 AM

especially those who spewed such non sense while relying on per/ws and other comical man made science, they tend to forget how HOWARD was the majority GM pick for no 1 player to build around since 08-09' until his back fiasco derailed him somewhat, people tend to forget him and BRON got robbed for mvp from ROSE but it happens

hibbert will never be on that mvp candidate style level, just like his defense is overrated, he is a weaker lesser MUTOMBO, and cant board or anchor D at his level, not even close the more I think of it

and just to think people on here were choosing hibbert over HOWARD, just the epitome of high level comedy across this nba forum of psd

for more comedy someone on here create a thread asking what players to build around and I bet hibbert would be lucky to be the 5th CENTER picked overall, not player

that's why I know how to judge/rank players, the eye test and actually playing combined trumps all, easily

3RDASYSTEM
04-12-2014, 11:19 AM

that's why I know this is such a piss poor weak era of nba ball because the fact that you made a hibbert is overrated thread is pure high level comedy because he is the same exact player out of G'TOWN but for some reason people think other wise, but he never was a dominant rebounder in college, hell DURANT avg more boards in his 1 season than I think hibbert did in any 1 of his 4 seasons at G'TOWN, im guessing he stayed all 4 but I don't know for sure but i'll go with my gut instinct

in this day and era if you play good for a month or full season you are now a superstar, see P GEORGE and a couple others which I beg to differ, good to all star fringe type but not HOF/box office material

i'm still trying to figure out how does a avg player like hibbert get overrated until I realized im on the best sports forum on the net which rely on the per/ws to tell me that hibbert is something he is not, wow

trust me watching hibbert at G'TOWN and now NBA for yrs pretty much sums it up for me, the same damn player who got over paid to now over rated, wow

how come he cant just be who he already was? he had no offense game in college just like he doesn't now in nba after yrs and still got a 60mil deal out of it, he just got taken care of like all the players from teams who 'over value' the players they draft, just a nba recurring cycle

IndyRealist
04-12-2014, 11:48 AM
especially those who spewed such non sense while relying on per/ws and other comical man made science, they tend to forget how HOWARD was the majority GM pick for no 1 player to build around since 08-09' until his back fiasco derailed him somewhat, people tend to forget him and BRON got robbed for mvp from ROSE but it happens

hibbert will never be on that mvp candidate style level, just like his defense is overrated, he is a weaker lesser MUTOMBO, and cant board or anchor D at his level, not even close the more I think of it

and just to think people on here were choosing hibbert over HOWARD, just the epitome of high level comedy across this nba forum of psd

for more comedy someone on here create a thread asking what players to build around and I bet hibbert would be lucky to be the 5th CENTER picked overall, not player

that's why I know how to judge/rank players, the eye test and actually playing combined trumps all, easily
BS. No metric ranked Roy Hibbert above Dwight. Post the link or it didn't happen.

NoahH
04-12-2014, 12:03 PM

Pacer finish.

Jimmer is a better rebounder am i right?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-12-2014, 12:38 PM
https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/10246465_841185132576679_150245033740389562_n.jpg

FlashBolt
04-12-2014, 01:18 PM
that's why I know this is such a piss poor weak era of nba ball because the fact that you made a hibbert is overrated thread is pure high level comedy because he is the same exact player out of G'TOWN but for some reason people think other wise, but he never was a dominant rebounder in college, hell DURANT avg more boards in his 1 season than I think hibbert did in any 1 of his 4 seasons at G'TOWN, im guessing he stayed all 4 but I don't know for sure but i'll go with my gut instinct

in this day and era if you play good for a month or full season you are now a superstar, see P GEORGE and a couple others which I beg to differ, good to all star fringe type but not HOF/box office material

i'm still trying to figure out how does a avg player like hibbert get overrated until I realized im on the best sports forum on the net which rely on the per/ws to tell me that hibbert is something he is not, wow

trust me watching hibbert at G'TOWN and now NBA for yrs pretty much sums it up for me, the same damn player who got over paid to now over rated, wow

how come he cant just be who he already was? he had no offense game in college just like he doesn't now in nba after yrs and still got a 60mil deal out of it, he just got taken care of like all the players from teams who 'over value' the players they draft, just a nba recurring cycle

So you're saying players can't become better because they aren't as good? Makes no sense. You think KD sat in his couch? No, he most likely went to a local gym and practiced day and night. I don't know what Hibbert has been doing because there is no excuse for a 7"1 to grab 3 RPG the past 8 games. He's 7"1.. You should be grabbing 10 on a bad night. The thing about NBA players today is that they are more focused on physique than what they are actually there to do. He's big and strong but no skill at all.

Goose17
04-12-2014, 01:42 PM
especially those who spewed such non sense while relying on per/ws and other comical man made science

Hibbert has never been ahead of Howard in PER or WS

Howard was 36th last year, Hibbert was 80th.

Howard was 29th in win shares, Hibbert was 57th.

I don't know who you've been talking to but they were factually incorrect.

DaBUU
04-12-2014, 02:00 PM
according to 19 sources close to the indiana pacers, the team’s recent deterioration is largely due to an awkward sexual incident between former stars roy hibbert and paul george.

“it all started with a groupie named dixie,” one highly dependable source says. “roy and paul were engaging in a threesome with her after the win against utah on march 2. But they ended up crossing swords, and then there was lots of shouting and crying. The team obviously hasn’t recovered.”

hahaha, accidental eye contact is bad enough when pulling a tris, but crossing swords? oh man thats funny

KG21
04-12-2014, 02:04 PM

I'm here. Yes he is playing terribly but it can't be all his fault. Depends of the system. Just like in New Jersey times where Kidd were responsible for all the rebounds. Now in indy they are sharing that responsibility. And hibbert is a tall man, jumping all night long could put a tool on his body.

D-Leethal
04-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Indiana is the best defensive rebounding team in the NBA and 6th overall, and 3rd in differential. They rebound by committee - that is by design. Hibbert uses his massive frame to clog offensive rebounding lanes and allow 5 different guys to average over 5 boards. People need to stop isolating the game down to the individual, all 5 guys are connected in basketball. Boxing out is every bit as important as chasing boards when it comes to securing rebounds. You can't have all 5 guys chase, you can't have all 5 guys box. Should he get a couple more boards per game? Yes. Would you guys start praising him if he was grabbing 11 boards per and Indy was ranked lower as a team? Yep.

P&GRealist
04-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Indiana is the best defensive rebounding team in the NBA and 6th overall, and 3rd in differential. They rebound by committee - that is by design. Hibbert uses his massive frame to clog offensive rebounding lanes and allow 5 different guys to average over 5 boards. People need to stop isolating the game down to the individual, all 5 guys are connected in basketball. Boxing out is every bit as important as chasing boards when it comes to securing rebounds. You can't have all 5 guys chase, you can't have all 5 guys box. Should he get a couple more boards per game? Yes. Would you guys start praising him if he was grabbing 11 boards per and Indy was ranked lower as a team? Yep.

Too bad the Heat, who are near dead last in rebounding, have outrebounded the Pacers in 3 out of 4 regular season meetings.

D-Leethal
04-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Too bad the Heat, who are near dead last in rebounding, have outrebounded the Pacers in 3 out of 4 regular season meetings.

Does that negate the other 78 games they played or the dominance on the boards they put on Miami in the playoffs last year?

D-Leethal
04-12-2014, 07:24 PM
I agree something it up with Roy, he should grab a few more boards, but I am just trying to change the mindset of dudes focusing on individuals instead of team cohesion and this is a perfect example. Brook Lopez would get crucified on here while Reggie Evans praised for their rebounding/lackthereof until there was an article illustrating Brook's box out percentage being highest on the Nets and Evans was lowest. Its a team game, it takes 5 to tango in every aspect - scoring, rebounding, distributing, everything - its all connected, its always 5 guys on a string. If your team is the best defensive team in the league and a top 5 rebounding team, your C is doing a lot of good things out there regardless of what his stats tell you.

mjt20mik
04-12-2014, 07:31 PM
hahaha, accidental eye contact is bad enough when pulling a tris, but crossing swords? oh man thats funny

gg

goku
04-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Hibbert with a dominating 0-7 fg and 2 boards at half

flclfanman
04-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Hibbert with a dominating 0-7 fg and 2 boards at half

And people got mad at me when I suggested Noah or Jefferson deserved to start over him in the ASG.

DetroitBadBoy
04-13-2014, 02:28 PM
Drummond had 26 rebounds a few nights ago, Hibbert had a total of 24 rebounds the last 8 games prior to Dre's big night LOL.

waveycrockett
04-13-2014, 02:30 PM
Never understood why Brook Lopez always got destroyed for his lack of rebounding and Hibbert always got a pass.

Sandman
04-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Hibbert is a true center

there aren't many

in the 90s he'd be about the 15th best center

he still beats up on players that are smaller than him

most centers are smaller than him

Worth the money but shut your mouth.

DillyDill
04-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Damn 0-9 now no excuse!!

DetroitBadBoy
04-13-2014, 02:34 PM
https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/10246465_841185132576679_150245033740389562_n.jpg

Whoops, didn't see this! Perfect lol

abe_froman
04-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Never understood why Brook Lopez always got destroyed for his lack of rebounding and Hibbert always got a pass.
this is actually a fair point,but he should should get slammed for it like brook,its pathetic

...i guess hibbert got away with it because his defense and indy was winning.when you are on a winning team ,the lens is less critical of you

goku
04-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Brook lopez can score atleast and get 7 boards for sure

dhopisthename
04-13-2014, 03:23 PM

well before this year hibbert was 8-9 rebound per game guy while lopez is a 6-7 rebound kind of guy and hibbert plays less minutes. of course this year hibbert has fallen into the 6-7 rebound range

JEDean89
04-13-2014, 03:35 PM
I dunno, I think people read way too much into this. Indiana is still outrebounding opponents by the 3rd best margin in the nba while Roy is providing top notch rim protection. Minnesota on the other hand has the 14th best rebounding margin despite having K-Love, Pek and Dieng and they have among the worst rim protection in the league. i'll take what indi's got over minnesota.

it's hard to rebound when your are trying to make a block because your back is to the basket. it is also impossible to block a shot if you are facing the basket, which kevin love knows all about. people honestly need to look at how players contribute to the bigger picture, not just their own individual stats.

i seriously read all the time about psders *****ing and whining about stat stuffers and now a guy does his job right, though it sacrifices his stats and ya'll ***** and whine. ****ing ninnies.

sep11ie
04-13-2014, 04:06 PM
I just dont understand. He is about the same height as Yao Ming but Yao could average like 9 balls a game.Hibbert, career -wise, just gets 7 or 8?I think he shall be more agile than Yao and gets 2 rebounds more. But now ?he is as mediocre as a backup center,with 4.5 rebounds a game after the ASG, which resembles George 's. Maybe now Bosh is better than him, rebound-wise ?

You really are ********.

DetroitBadBoy
04-13-2014, 06:26 PM
I dunno, I think people read way too much into this. Indiana is still outrebounding opponents by the 3rd best margin in the nba while Roy is providing top notch rim protection. Minnesota on the other hand has the 14th best rebounding margin despite having K-Love, Pek and Dieng and they have among the worst rim protection in the league. i'll take what indi's got over minnesota.

it's hard to rebound when your are trying to make a block because your back is to the basket. it is also impossible to block a shot if you are facing the basket, which kevin love knows all about. people honestly need to look at how players contribute to the bigger picture, not just their own individual stats.

i seriously read all the time about psders *****ing and whining about stat stuffers and now a guy does his job right, though it sacrifices his stats and ya'll ***** and whine. ****ing ninnies.

Either way, he's not worth the all-star bid he received.

FOBolous
04-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Roy Hibbert's rebounding abilities? i didn't even know he had any :shrug:

tr3ymill3r
04-13-2014, 07:38 PM
He's a waste of height, but Hibbert apologists and Pacer fans will claim it's because the team is great at rebounding and takes boards from him. He's 7'2" and can be guarded by one guy that is 6'8" and then gets outrebounded by the same guy. If the Pacers play the Bulls he will be exposed on the National scale.

tr3ymill3r
04-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Hibbert is a true center

there aren't many

in the 90s he'd be about the 15th best center

he still beats up on players that are smaller than him

most centers are smaller than him

Worth the money but shut your mouth.

dumbass, in the 90s he would be the 40th best center, that's right there would be bench guys that would be better than this piece.

flea
04-13-2014, 08:04 PM

This and IndyRealist's post on the first page should have put this topic to rest. If the Pacers were a bad rebounding team, then this would be of some concern. They're good at it because they rebound as a team. Would you rather Hibbert bail out on his help defense to box out for a rebound like Kevin Love? Or would you rather take advantage of having giant, athletic guards that can out-rebound their man almost every time.

The comparison with Brook Lopez doesn't hold water. Hibbert is at least average or perhaps a bit less for his position, and his team doesn't need him to be better than that. Lopez is a complete liability, and even when the Nets had to start guys whose sole job was to rebound (Evans, Humphries), they were not a good rebounding team.

Taimla
04-13-2014, 08:19 PM

I agree 100%

Yes Hibbert is in slump and should score and rebound little bit more but people are realy overreacting.
Rebounding is the MOST OVERRATED INDIVIDUAL SKILL EVER! Rebound is a TEAM STAT and indiana is realy good at rebounding. Hibbert job is to contest every shot in the paint, dosent matter if its point guard, foward or center so its realy hard to rebound like that. Ever wonder why it often happens that 2 guards Stephenson and George will bought get 10+ reb in same game? it's just how Pacers defense works. And it works well. Mean while guys like love and drummond dont contest shots just to be in better positsion to get individual rebound.

effen5
04-13-2014, 08:27 PM
dumbass, in the 90s he would be the 40th best center, that's right there would be bench guys that would be better than this piece.
He wouldn't even be in the league in the 90s

abe_froman
04-13-2014, 08:31 PM
He wouldn't even be in the league in the 90s

of course he'd be in the league.just by virtue of being 7'2 ,he'd be given a shot ,also his style of play is a much better fit for 80's/90's than today

also while was about 10 good to great centers in the 90's,lets not act like everyone was that good.seriously, i dont think you can argue that bill wennington or even big country are better centers than hibbert

effen5
04-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Jo has 8 rebounds at half time

D-Leethal
04-13-2014, 08:44 PM

This guy gets it.

FOBolous
04-13-2014, 09:06 PM
This and IndyRealist's post on the first page should have put this topic to rest. If the Pacers were a bad rebounding team, then this would be of some concern. They're good at it because they rebound as a team. Would you rather Hibbert bail out on his help defense to box out for a rebound like Kevin Love? Or would you rather take advantage of having giant, athletic guards that can out-rebound their man almost every time.

The comparison with Brook Lopez doesn't hold water. Hibbert is at least average or perhaps a bit less for his position, and his team doesn't need him to be better than that. Lopez is a complete liability, and even when the Nets had to start guys whose sole job was to rebound (Evans, Humphries), they were not a good rebounding team.

lol Hibbert is NOT average for his position. Lopez rebounds better than Hibbert. And most of the top Centers in the league defends well, helps out on defense, AND rebound. Dwight Howard and Noah are two examples. Both, like Hibbert, are DPOY caliber players, anchors their team's defense, AND rebounds. You make Hibbert sound like a ****** who can't multitask, can only do things one at time, and who gets confused when you ask him to do too many things.

flea
04-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Howard and Noah are some of the better rebounders in NBA history. Average for a center is not 10 rebounds a game.

NYSpirit1
04-13-2014, 09:24 PM
Hell, why he sucks this much ?last game against the Heat, he just got 1 rebound. After the ASG, he averages 4.5 rebounds a game. :facepalm:is he a center or a guard ?

Roy Hibbert sucks. He's one of the most overrated players in NBA history. The dude is averaging 11 points and 6.6 rebounds. Seriously...

This guy made the All-Star team. The All-Star team. The Pacers are the epitome of a team oriented game with a gritty defensive plan with a great head coach that ended up leading to a 56 win season. Hibbert isn't that good and didn't deserve nearly the hype he got. A 7'2 guy that starts who gets 6.6 rebounds per game is embarrassing.

NYSpirit1
04-13-2014, 09:30 PM

Okay, the philosophy makes sense. So then why criticize any individual player on any team? The fact of the matter is an 'All-Star' center is averaging 9.4 PPG and 4.6 RPG on 41% shooting after the All-Star break. The guy sucks. And is one of the most overrated players in the entire league's history.

D-Leethal
04-13-2014, 09:55 PM
lol Hibbert is NOT average for his position. Lopez rebounds better than Hibbert. And most of the top Centers in the league defends well, helps out on defense, AND rebound. Dwight Howard and Noah are two examples. Both, like Hibbert, are DPOY caliber players, anchors their team's defense, AND rebounds. You make Hibbert sound like a ****** who can't multitask, can only do things one at time, and who gets confused when you ask him to do too many things.

Rebounding is by design, its part of a gameplan, its not a free-for-all where all 5 guys are asked to go chase boards when the shot goes up. Bulls don't seem to ask their wings and smalls to rebound quite like Indy does (mostly because they aren't nearly as athletic). Its works for them - they are a better rebounding team. Roy is helping the team secure rebounds. With his size, they are better suited asking him to clog lanes and letting Lance, Paul, West and co. go grab boards.

Okay, the philosophy makes sense. So then why criticize any individual player on any team? The fact of the matter is an 'All-Star' center is averaging 9.4 PPG and 4.6 RPG on 41% shooting after the All-Star break. The guy sucks. And is one of the most overrated players in the entire league's history.

I'm not here arguing his all-star validity. But in my eyes, I do think the anchor of the leagues best D is an all star caliber player. I've seen Jamaal McGloire and Brad Miller make the all star game. This isn't anything new.

Sandman
04-13-2014, 10:45 PM

lol not offended, might be true

hes exactly the type that does well against shorter players. against a legit center he's a collapsible tent

FOBolous
04-13-2014, 10:48 PM
Howard and Noah are some of the better rebounders in NBA history. Average for a center is not 10 rebounds a game.

4 rpg is not average for a Center either.

Sandman
04-14-2014, 01:17 AM
of course he'd be in the league.just by virtue of being 7'2 ,he'd be given a shot ,also his style of play is a much better fit for 80's/90's than today

also while was about 10 good to great centers in the 90's,lets not act like everyone was that good.seriously, i dont think you can argue that bill wennington or even big country are better centers than hibbert

I think 15 was a good estimate.

His great defense would get punked on by every good center, and he doesn't score against anyone that can match his size.

Ewing would ****ing school the younger GT alum. Hibbert would have no chance against a center with a jumpshot. He can't handle 38 year old KG either. Shaq would own him, Hakeem would own him. Admiral would own him. Hibbert would not even hold up against a healthy 2001 Elton Brand.

Chronz
04-14-2014, 01:29 AM
I think 15 was a good estimate.

His great defense would get punked on by every good center, and he doesn't score against anyone that can match his size.

Ewing would ****ing school the younger GT alum. Hibbert would have no chance against a center with a jumpshot. He can't handle 38 year old KG either. Shaq would own him, Hakeem would own him. Admiral would own him. Hibbert would not even hold up against a healthy 2001 Elton Brand.
15 sounds right, but the way you break it down, sounds like you're describing the leagues 55th best center or something.

JayW_1023
04-14-2014, 11:38 AM
It's called Eddy Curry syndrome. This is a really bad case. Pfooey.

flea
04-14-2014, 12:29 PM
4 rpg is not average for a Center either.

And that's nearly 3 under Hibbert's career average. People forget he doesn't play big minutes either, like other centers. Hard to rebound if you're not on the court. So what is your point, that he hasn't been rebounding well lately? I doubt anyone is going to argue that.

FlashBolt
04-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Let's not get the wrong idea. I firmly believe rebounding back then would be much easier as they played more to the basket than everyone just letting it fly from the three pointer. I think the amount of three point shots taken is 3-4x as much as it was back then. In 2000, the league averaged 13 3PA, this season it's at 22 3PA. When shots are being shot that far, chances are you're not going to grab as many boards. So to say he wouldn't succeed back then based off his rebounding numbers isn't sufficient. My only issue is his limited offensive ability and the fact that he doesn't seem to want to grab boards.

slashsnake
04-15-2014, 04:28 AM
And that's nearly 3 under Hibbert's career average. People forget he doesn't play big minutes either, like other centers. Hard to rebound if you're not on the court. So what is your point, that he hasn't been rebounding well lately? I doubt anyone is going to argue that.

He is 5th in minutes played this year among true centers, 13th in minutes per game, so "like other centers" he is average. There are 5 centers in this league who get more than 3 minutes a game over what Roy Hibbert gets. Hibbert gets more minutes than Bogut, Duncan and Varejao per game. They are effective on the boards, he is not. Andre Drummond isn't doubling him on the boards because of his 2.5 more minutes a game.

Hibbert has played 800 more minutes than Dalembert this year and is behind him in total rebounds.

We are talking all time bad streaks here. He's the only center EVER to play 34+ minutes and have a 5 point 1 board game or worse, and the only one this year to play 20 minutes and have 4 points and 0 boards (Big Country in 2000 was the last one to be less effective in those categories). He's playing 28 minutes a game since the all star break and can't get 5 boards a game. 6' tall 170 lb Kyle Lowry was a better rebounder than Roy Hibbert last month. For a guy considered a good center, that is awful.

And you can look at his per 36 and see his rebounding rate which is awful (right there with Turkoglu and Anthony Bennett this year) regardless of his minutes. Or say that in 6 of his last 8 games he played 30 minutes in, he couldn't break the 3 rebound mark. No wonder his minutes are limited.

Usually the guys with the shorter minutes end up higher here. They don't play heavy minutes, and get to expel all their energy in shorter bursts. But their effectiveness is limited with the heavy time they spend on the bench rather than on the court. Hibbert riding the bench a lot isn't exactly a great thing to defend him with. And in rate, he's 138th in the NBA this year.

It is just that he isn't a good rebounder for his position and style of play. He's a 7'1" 290 lb guy who isn't playing the position like Channing Frye from the perimeter. He isn't in there for his offensive prowess. He is a defensive minded guy who doesn't rebound well.

This is an all time bad season for someone his size. Look at the guys 7'2" with at least 28 minutes a game who were worse EVER. Rik Smits in his 2nd year in the NBA, 40 year old Kareem, Luc Longley, Shawn Bradley as a rookie, Luc Longley. Those are his rebounding peers. Add in 7'1 guys and you bring in Bill Cartwright, and Divac his last season he started.

I just kept trying to think of something that looked as bad as he did, and now I see why I couldn't come up with one. He truly is having an all time awful rebounding year for a guy like him.

flea
04-15-2014, 10:22 AM
Well there's the difference in our opinions. You think it's a problem when a guy isn't rebounding on a team that is one of the better ones in the NBA at it. I don't, because it's a team game. In a vaccuum do you want your center grabbing more? Probably, but it's not a problem for the team and rebounds are the easiest thing to clean up with a good team effort.

Do you think it was a problem that Longley grabbed 6 rebounds (or whatever it was) on the '95 Bulls? Because I don't.

archdevil84
04-15-2014, 10:46 AM
hibbert is designed to dominate against the HEAT. if he doesnt do that his playoff value wil drop although he would still be an important part of their succes

KnicksorBust
04-15-2014, 10:48 AM
To me this would only be a problem if Indiana was becoming a poor rebounding team because of it. They are 3rd in the NBA in rebound differential at +3.4 per game. They have West-George-Stephenson who are all average or above average at their positions.

This will all be a dead issue after game 1 vs. Atlanta he pulls down 14 boards and the Pacers win by double digits.

D-Leethal
04-15-2014, 11:23 AM
Well there's the difference in our opinions. You think it's a problem when a guy isn't rebounding on a team that is one of the better ones in the NBA at it. I don't, because it's a team game. In a vaccuum do you want your center grabbing more? Probably, but it's not a problem for the team and rebounds are the easiest thing to clean up with a good team effort.

Do you think it was a problem that Longley grabbed 6 rebounds (or whatever it was) on the '95 Bulls? Because I don't.

I appreciate your ability to see the forest amongst the trees. This forum has no ability to recognize the impact a player has on his teammates. There are not 5-6 guys averaging over 5 boards per game on Indy without Hibbert and his massive frame opening up rebounding lanes for them. Racking up huge rebounding numbers isn't the only way to help your team secure rebounds.

JEDean89
04-15-2014, 04:51 PM
stats are getting dumped on their heads, individual rebounding does not correlate to team success. we are now being given far superior ways to analyze what players are doing and instead of looking at how a player effects his own stats we need to be looking at how they effect the team's stats. does anyone have the stat of how much better or worse the pacers are as a team at rebounding when Roy is on the floor vs off? that is the really the only stat that matters.

slashsnake
04-15-2014, 09:37 PM

Not unless the bulls were paying Longley 15 mil a year and you don't want your guy getting more than 20-25 minutes a game (remember his minutes were only that high because Wennington got hurt that year).

It is just odd. Pistons rebounded well as a team. Ben Wallace created those rebounding lanes for others. Dikembe did that with a good rebounding 76er team. Aldridge is doing that with a great rebounding team in Portland. Drummond with Detroit. Bogut with GS. What you don't see is those guys averaging 6 boards a game while creating those lanes and helping out others. Not saying it isn't true, but this is a really odd situation.

You don't think Indiana being bad in their past 20 or so games has to do with their rebounding edge dropping about 3 a game? They were a top 3 rebounding team in the NBA through the all star break. They are 14th since while Hibbert has fallen off. It isn't correlation, but it is something to notice and question.

It is just Hibbert is a complete outlier for a massive interior guy who just can't board. Biggest guy in the NBA, spends his time in the paint and at his position not a good rebounder. If his game was like Bargnani or Channing Frye, sure... But he's getting paid 15 million a year not because he spreads the floor but for what he does in the paint. He's GREAT there, outside of getting his own rebounds.

NBA_Starter
04-15-2014, 09:45 PM
The guy has had a tough time lately.

slashsnake
04-15-2014, 09:49 PM
does anyone have the stat of how much better or worse the pacers are as a team at rebounding when Roy is on the floor vs off? that is the really the only stat that matters.

Great one... 82games carries that.

Hibbert on court, Pacers get 51.2% of the total rebounds. Hibbert off, they get 50.8% of the total rebounds available. A .4% increase (vs. 1% last year)

Compare that to some other bigs...

5 times less than Howards impact.
7 times less than DeAndre Jordans impact.
7 times less than Drummonds impact, Chandlers impact,
2 times less than Howard and Cousins
6 times less than Bogut
3 times less than Noah
4 times less than Aldridge or Horford
11 times less than Pekovic (wow)...

Again, not saying Hibbert is a bad player, his impact is big for that team. It is just such an outlier. It's weird. It's not something that you would ever expect to see, a 7'2" 290 lb big who lives in the paint putting up some awful numbers on the boards.