PDA

View Full Version : Build a Knicks team that will Contend ...

mudvayne387
04-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Yes another Knicks thread. No, it does not need to be in the Knicks forum, this is for all NBA fans.

Imagine you are Phil Jackson. You have three years to take this turd of a roster and make it into a championship contender. Take Into account the cap space after next season, the potential coaching vacancy, and their future draft picks (or lack thereof)

I would like to see how other fan bases would approach their future if they were in a similar situation.

Go ...

king4day
04-11-2014, 01:20 PM
I personally think NY needs to rebuild ground up.
If they can somehow land Lance Stephenson (sign and trade) it could be a solid start. But I just feel like there are too many holes to fix this right now. They need to wait until these contracts come off the books.

Melo probably needs to take a paycut to have a real chance.

0nekhmer
04-11-2014, 01:32 PM
1. play out melo til he leaves
2. Begin tanking in 2016
3. forget that you gave raptors your first rounder and proceed to cry

slaker619
04-11-2014, 01:36 PM
1. Let go of Melo/Amare combo that era is done
2. Trade Felton
3. Let Shumpert be Shumpert same with Hardway
4. Put more pressure on woodson, don't fire him tho
5. Sign better role players/6 Man

JEDean89
04-11-2014, 01:37 PM
trade melo, tyson, jr, and bargnani, ideally you could get at least 2-3 1st rounders. maybe a young asset or two. tank 2015 for Jahlil, and take your 2-3 1st rounders to the draft, and get some value there. take all the remaining cap space for a run at kevin love in 2015 and a PG like Goran Dragic.

Dragic
Shumps
anyone
K-Love
Okafor

now of course the knicks won't be getting the #1 pick next year, unless they really tank but that is what i would do, trade all our established players and try and get something back. maybe trade bargs and stat as an expiring next season.

1-800-STFU
04-11-2014, 01:37 PM
1. Trade for Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith.
2. Start JR Smith at SG
3. Trade Melo for Al Jefferson
4. Trade for Rudy Gay
5. Trade for Monta Ellis
6. ????
7. Championship

Pierzynski4Prez
04-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Sign and Trade Melo to Bulls for Boozer, Snell, Kings 1st round pick from Bulls (Top 10 protected 2015-2017), and a handful of 2nd round picks the Bulls have. I know its not much, but better than nothing and Knicks don't have the leverage if Melo wants to go there.

Let Amare, Chandler Boozer, Bargnani, MWP all walk in summer of 2015.
If possible, trade JR and/or Felton if possible for anything you can get.
Tank 2014-2015 season

Go into 2015-16 season with TH Jr, Shumpert, Snell, Prigioni, Knicks top 5 pick, Kings pick around 11-14 maybe, and near 50 mil in cap space.

Make a move for any of Rondo, Love, Asik, Lin, Deandre Jordan, M. Gasol, Danny Green.

Rondo
TH Jr
Shumpert
Love
Gasol

With a bench of Snell, top 5 pick in 2015, a pick around 11-14 in 2015, Prigioni

Deadpool
04-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Hopefully convince melo to opt in to the final year and wait for the expiring contracts of amare, and bargnani. Go big in free agency with K-Love next off season.

uprightciti
04-11-2014, 02:21 PM
retain melo
hire a better coach
buy a late 1st rounder
go after shabazz napier
keep hardaway and shump
hold tyson chandler and jeremy tyler
void feltons contract if proven guilty with gun charges
convince melo and stat to resign this year with reduced contracts
pray that lebron opts out and sign lebron
trade bargnani, and priggs for a vet pg in sunset mode

pg - vet pg, napier, murray(?)
sg - jr, shump, thjr
sf - lebron, thjr
pf - melo, amare
c - tyson, tyler

GiantsSwaGG
04-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Sign and Trade Melo to Bulls for Boozer, Jimmy Butler, Kings 1st round pick from Bulls (Top 10 protected 2015-2017), and a handful of 2nd round picks the Bulls have. I know its not much, but better than nothing and Knicks don't have the leverage if Melo wants to go there.

Let Amare, Chandler Boozer, Bargnani, MWP all walk in summer of 2015.
If possible, trade JR and/or Felton if possible for anything you can get.
Tank 2014-2015 season

Go into 2015-16 season with TH Jr, Shumpert, Snell, Prigioni, Knicks top 5 pick, Kings pick around 11-14 maybe, and near 50 mil in cap space.

Make a move for any of Rondo, Love, Asik, Lin, Deandre Jordan, M. Gasol, Danny Green.

Rondo
TH Jr
Shumpert
Love
Gasol

With a bench of Snell, top 5 pick in 2015, a pick around 11-14 in 2015, Prigioni

fixed

KnicksorBust
04-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Let Melo walk.
Promote Herb Williams to head-coach.
Ride out a terrible year with STAT/Chandler/Bargnani. Let them expire.
Trade JR Smith and Raymond Felton's 2 year deals for expirings (Use Tim Hardaway Jr. as bait if you have to)
Keep Shumpert and your 2015 pick in a safe deposit box.
Then sign Steve Kerr as your coach.
Run the Triangle as your offense.
Use your top 5 lottery pick on the best available wing player.
Use your $50 million cap space on Goran Dragic - Paul Millsap - Omer Asik.

PG - Goran Dragic
SG - Iman Shumpert
SF - Top 5 draft choice from 2015
PF - Paul Millsap
C - Omer Asik

koreancabbage
04-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Let Melo walk.
Trade JR Smith and Raymond Felton's 2 year deals for expirings (Use Tim Hardaway Jr. as bait if you have to)

PG - Goran Dragic
SG - Iman Shumpert
PF - Paul Millsap
C - Omer Asik

imo, thats not a contending team.

Pierzynski4Prez
04-11-2014, 03:10 PM
fixed

Meh, would rather just hope Bulls can dump Dunleavy and afford to sign Melo outright to a decent sized contract still with only losing Boozer and Dunleavy as opposed to giving up Butler, Boozer, and pick(s).

GiantsSwaGG
04-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Meh, would rather just hope Bulls can dump Dunleavy and afford to sign Melo outright to a decent sized contract still with only losing Boozer and Dunleavy as opposed to giving up Butler, Boozer, and pick(s).

Possibility but Jimmy is better than both those players, I don't think the Knicks will settle for less. I just want Melo gone to be honest

Pierzynski4Prez
04-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Possibility but Jimmy is better than both those players, I don't think the Knicks will settle for less. I just want Melo gone to be honest

That's all up to Melo really. How much money will he leave on the table. I get that he should try to be loyal and get something back for NY, but him leaving is likely 100% due to wanting to win a chip and soon. And if that is the ultimate goal, why have the team your leave for have to give up key pieces when it can remain intact if you take maybe 15-20% smaller of a contract.

Going to be crazy. I think he stays with you guys for around 5/100 though.

IndyRealist
04-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Everyone is approaching this backwards. There is one advantage to being in the luxury tax, and that's having $75M in expiring contracts you can trade next season.

KnicksorBust
04-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Let Melo walk.

PG - Goran Dragic
SG - Iman Shumpert
PF - Paul Millsap
C - Omer Asik

imo, thats not a contending team.

You only think that because all three of my FA targets are vastly underrated.

Shammyguy3
04-11-2014, 08:22 PM
that team would be a lot like the current Memphis Grizzlies team in terms of whether or not they're a contending team.

Dragic is routinely underrated, much like Conley.
Shumpert's role will be much like Tony Allen.
Millsap's somewhat similar to Randolph outside of being a worse rebounder
Asik's a defensive beast, although he has no offensive game.

So if that draft pick turns out to be an offensive player (say like a Parsons or a Hayward), then that would be a damn good team. Especially in the state of the East right now

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-11-2014, 08:52 PM
retain melo
hire a better coach
buy a late 1st rounder
go after shabazz napier
keep hardaway and shump
hold tyson chandler and jeremy tyler
void feltons contract if proven guilty with gun charges
convince melo and stat to resign this year with reduced contracts
pray that lebron opts out and sign lebron
trade bargnani, and priggs for a vet pg in sunset mode

pg - vet pg, napier, murray(?)
sg - jr, shump, thjr
sf - lebron, thjr
pf - melo, amare
c - tyson, tyler

The hell are you getting cap space for LeBron?

uprightciti
04-11-2014, 09:49 PM
The hell are you getting cap space for LeBron?

void felton trade bargs amare and melo sign for less

sign melo lbj amare for less to win with phil in ny

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-12-2014, 12:41 AM
void felton trade bargs amare and melo sign for less

sign melo lbj amare for less to win with phil in ny

Amare can't redo his contract and Melo won't take that much of a pay cut to create that much cap space. And I doubt Felton's contract will get voided.

RandomGaminCrew
04-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Not possible

cssdmark
04-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Melo is not going anywhere unless Phil does not want him there. So Melo will be staying, sign Love in 2015, pickup Lowry this year, resign Chandler for less money and trade for Derozan. Starting lineup below. The guards on the team can play D and score so Chandler can just play his position at d and have put backs, rebounds and an occasional lob, love could stretch the floor and rebound and Melo could be Melo

Lowry
Derozan
Melo
Love
Chandler

KnicksorBust
04-12-2014, 06:50 PM
that team would be a lot like the current Memphis Grizzlies team in terms of whether or not they're a contending team.

Dragic is routinely underrated, much like Conley.
Shumpert's role will be much like Tony Allen.
Millsap's somewhat similar to Randolph outside of being a worse rebounder
Asik's a defensive beast, although he has no offensive game.

So if that draft pick turns out to be an offensive player (say like a Parsons or a Hayward), then that would be a damn good team. Especially in the state of the East right now

This guy knows the deal.

Burkey3472
04-12-2014, 08:46 PM
A Dragic/Millsap/Asik combo has a slightly better version of the late 2000's Atlanta Hawks written all over it. They'd be good enough to 3-5 seed but no realistic possibility of winning a championship. They would need to hit on a high lottery pick and have him be a all star year in and year out. I just can't buy Dragic/Millsap as your 1-2 options winning a title.

east fb knicks
04-12-2014, 09:02 PM
I think our roster is ok :hide:

bagwell368
04-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Start by moving Melo.

Ill21
04-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Let Melo walk.

PG - Goran Dragic
SG - Iman Shumpert
PF - Paul Millsap
C - Omer Asik

That is the absolute worst case scenario

Ill21
04-12-2014, 09:32 PM
I think our roster is ok :hide:

you are delusional

Tony_Starks
04-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Start off with a new coach. Preferably Nate McMillan or JVG. Let Melo walk. Trade Amare and Chandler for scraps/picks if possible. Next season is lost, just develop Shump and Hardaway more. Stay on the lookout for reasonably priced young players.Tony Allen, Kenneth Faried, Jimmy Butler, Patrick Beverly, Dion Waiters....hope you can steal LAmarcus Aldridge, Rondo or Lance Stevenson.

Banish Ray Felton to basketball purgatory.

TheMightyHumph
04-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Yes another Knicks thread. No, it does not need to be in the Knicks forum, this is for all NBA fans.

Imagine you are Phil Jackson. You have three years to take this turd of a roster and make it into a championship contender. Take Into account the cap space after next season, the potential coaching vacancy, and their future draft picks (or lack thereof)

I would like to see how other fan bases would approach their future if they were in a similar situation.

Go ...

As I am a Net fan that hates the Knicks, and knows SO MUCH MORE about the NBA than Knicks' management does, I will not supply them with my many years of knowledge of this game.

They are on their own.

Shammyguy3
04-12-2014, 09:59 PM
This guy knows the deal.

You could even target Marc Gasol himself instead of Omer, and perhaps attract a scoring guard off the bench much like the Clippers have with Crawford the past few years. That team wouldn't be favorites, but if Dragic continues this output he wouldn't be the worst 1st option in the league, not at all. That team would score by committee, similarly to how the Bulls have done the past few years and the Pacers have done this year

Jamiecballer
04-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Undo every move from the last 12 months. That was easy.

east fb knicks
04-12-2014, 10:18 PM
you are delusional

we won 54 games last year I put this season on our coach yes we probably wouldn't be a 50 win team but woodson made us a horrible team give me kerr draft a pg or use an exception for one and we are right back in it if melo resigns we will have a ton of cap IF MELO RESIGNS we are in the best position of any team going into 2015

east fb knicks
04-12-2014, 10:19 PM

they undo themselves in a year :facepalm:

Ill21
04-12-2014, 10:20 PM

a first for bargs :(

NoahH
04-13-2014, 01:27 PM
1. Trade for Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith.
2. Start JR Smith at SG
3. Trade Melo for Al Jefferson
4. Trade for Rudy Gay
5. Trade for Monta Ellis
6. ????
7. Championship

LOL hahahaha

Goose17
04-13-2014, 01:46 PM
First sign and trade Melo and Felton for Cousins and Isaiah Thomas, trade Shumpert for a draft pick or two, waive Bargnani, bring in Bynum, Thomas - J.R Smith - Artest - Stat - Cousins. Reanimate the body of Chuck Daly and sign Paul Wight and Arne Duncan to a 10 day contract.

DillyDill
04-13-2014, 01:51 PM
we won 54 games last year I put this season on our coach yes we probably wouldn't be a 50 win team but woodson made us a horrible team give me kerr draft a pg or use an exception for one and we are right back in it if melo resigns we will have a ton of cap IF MELO RESIGNS we are in the best position of any team going into 2015
I agree with this Stars attract other Stars. First priority resign Melo then other stars will follow suit come 15

IndyRealist
04-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Would Knicks fans want to build around Josh Smith or Eric Gordon? Both of those guys are on long contracts and their teams could be willing to shed them this offseason for an expiring.

effen5
04-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Have Dolan sell the team to Seattle.

85BearsDefense
04-13-2014, 02:22 PM
Error: this is an impossible situation at this time.

flclfanman
04-13-2014, 02:23 PM

The Greater New York area will have a full blown riot.

I know you're joking around, but that move make John Carpenter's Escape from New York eerily realistic.

koreancabbage
04-13-2014, 02:45 PM
You only think that because all three of my FA targets are vastly underrated.

thats if the Knicks drafted well. They are not underrated but this team won't win a championship. Playoffs contenders, sure. but $50M for those three players? and no bench? who would want to play for that team?

look, when I mean contending, I meant for a championship - this team would make the playoffs every year probably but wouldn't go anywhere.

Trueblue2
04-14-2014, 02:40 AM
Keep melo. Let bargs, chandler, and mri expire. Trade felton/smith. Go after rondo + love/Aldridge

DitchDat
04-14-2014, 06:43 AM
I don't see an easy fix. Which is too bad really because just a few years ago they had a clean sheet with Z-Bo, Jamal Crawford & Starbury gone, and then they go ahead and bring in Ama're, J.R. Smith and Ray Felton. I don't see a turnaround happening anytime soon unless they clear the whole thing.

ManRam
04-14-2014, 05:49 PM

In theory, being in NY should be the team's biggest strength. Remarkable how such a desirable market has frequently put out such mediocre teams. That's some serious incompetence.

AddiX
04-14-2014, 05:56 PM
In theory, being in NY should be the team's biggest strength. Remarkable how such a desirable market has frequently put out such mediocre teams. That's some serious incompetence.

That's the problem with Dolan, no one can tell him no.

And he would just add one problem to another, and try to buy his way out. And that pretty much explains the Knicks through the Dolan years.