PDA

View Full Version : Injuries that Ruined Players Careers

NoahH
04-10-2014, 05:31 PM
I was just browsing basketball-reference as I usually do when I'm bored in class and started to think about injuries that effectively ruined NBA players careers. I'm thinking players like Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway who were on the track to be superstars before having their injuries derail their careers. While both proved to be successful players post-injury, they never reached their star level prior to the injuries.

So here's my question... What other players come to mind who's careers were significantly diminished by injuries?

This includes stars who had their primes stripped from then and also role players who were never able to develop. Also, please predict how the rest of their careers would have turned out if injuries never plagued their careers.

I'll start...

Jay Williams - injured after his rookie season while driving a motorbike. He never recovered and never played again. Could have been a top 5 PG in the league and potential all star

T-Mac - Back / nagging injuries limited his effectiveness upon his arrival in Houston. Would have hit 30,000 points and would have been a 12 time all-star.

Johnathan Bender - Unreal athleticism. Could have been a legitimate all-star

Bill Walton - NCAA superstar who was never able to flourish in the NBA due to injuries

tredigs
04-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Bird, Yao, D Rose, Baron Davis, Webber, Bernard King, Oden, Sabonis, Jermaine O'Neal, Amare...

I mean, so many. It's the most unfortunate part of sports.

Greet
04-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Derrick Rose

Asik's better
04-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Yao and T-mac. It still hurts thinking about what the team of T-mac, Artest and Yao could of done.

Cal827
04-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Surprised no Brandon Roy (although I know this is a fairly new thread)

- D-Rose
- Greg Oden
- Andrew Bynum

abe_froman
04-10-2014, 07:12 PM
i'll add

ron harper,brad daugherty,mo stokes,ralph sampson,sam bowie,allen houston,bernard king,tj ford,shaun livingston,artis gilmore

to the names already mentioned

stawka
04-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Grant Hill and Penny

That **** shatters me

rhd420
04-10-2014, 07:50 PM
I say Greg Oden just based on potential and time of the injury - Bobby Hurley as well and J Will.

elledaddy
04-10-2014, 08:03 PM
My boys Gilbert Arenas and Larry Johnson

Vinylman
04-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Yao and T-mac. It still hurts thinking about what the team of T-mac, Artest and Yao could of done.

lost to the Lakers or Spurs every year in the playoffs...

NoahH
04-10-2014, 09:31 PM
My boys Gilbert Arenas and Larry Johnson

Yup Agent Zero could have done great things. Although it wasnt only injuries that tanked his careeer lol

Slug3
04-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Grant Hill and Penny

That **** shatters me

They could have been so great. Hill had a decent end to his career.

Chico Dusty 305
04-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Grant Hill and Penny

That **** shatters me

This is exactly it for me. It's like this thread was made just to make go Youtube full game highlights from yesteryear. :mad:

Chico Dusty 305
04-10-2014, 10:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsbWXxr0ge8

I'll just leave this here

Asik's better
04-10-2014, 10:49 PM
lost to the Lakers or Spurs every year in the playoffs...
??? Artest, Yao and Tmac never played in the playoffs together.

stawka
04-11-2014, 04:40 AM
They could have been so great. Hill had a decent end to his career.

Definitely. Grant Hill was still a very good role player in Phoenix, but I mean that guy was the **** back in the days. And Penny? Damn it's such a shame

I've got 6 hours of VHS footage from 1991-2001 and it's mainly top 10 plays of the week. I sit down and just watch the tapes once a month or so, Penny and Grant were all over them

bagwell368
04-11-2014, 06:26 AM
Bill Walton - NCAA superstar who was never able to flourish in the NBA due to injuries

I think "never" is a bad choice of words.

McHale broken foot kept him from being perhaps a top 25 player all time.

Bird bad back kept him from being perhaps a top 5 player all time.

Willis Reed - bum knees kept him from being a lot more

Andrew Toney - could have had a brilliant career

MrfadeawayJB
04-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Amare lost a lot with his injuries, but he's bounced back alright

1-800-STFU
04-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Baron Davis. People forget how good he used to be at the start of his career.

deaner
04-11-2014, 10:36 AM
Garbajosa at the garden. Ugly.

SLY WILLIAMS
04-11-2014, 12:51 PM
The knee injuries that Bernard King suffered used to ruin guys careers back in his day. Bernard had to dramatically change his game. He went from being one of the fastest explosive guys on the court to a much more heady player. It was mostly his will to be great and his pride that brought him back to a all star level after missing around 2 years. While he was never again the Bernard of old he still became a really good player against all odds. He used a variation of a classic Mark Twain line at a press conference after being almost invisible for 2 years. "My death has been greatly exaggerated"

Vinylman
04-11-2014, 04:34 PM
??? Artest, Yao and Tmac never played in the playoffs together.

reread what i wrote... it is pretty clear...

chi-townlove1
04-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Was gonna say in b4 some idiot says d rose, but that's too late. Anyways, Derrick is far from there yet. One more extreme injury and a few years in retirement, and then a comeback attempt - then you can claim it ruined his career.

Asik's better
04-11-2014, 05:15 PM
reread what i wrote... it is pretty clear...
"lost to the Lakers or Spurs every year in the playoffs..."
Alright, I reread what you wrote. Your speaking in a past tense which doesn't make sense, because the team of Tmac, Yao and artest never played together in the playoffs. See if you wrote it as what would of happened you should of written "they would of lost to the Lakers or Spurs every year in the playoffs..." It's just basic English.

king4day
04-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Jayson Williams (spelling) who got in the Motorcycle accident.
Shaun Livingston. He turned down a big offer from the Clippers (around 40mil total) in hopes to get something bigger the following year. Instead, he tears up his knee and has been living off of mostly vet min contracts.

I realize it's rare for something like this to happen but if someone offers you a fat deal, you take it. Get financial security. Then if you are good enough, you'll get what you deserve after.

Nice topic btw

douglas
04-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Former Boston Celtic Len Bias' heart injury definitely ruined his young career.

Vinylman
04-11-2014, 07:09 PM
"lost to the Lakers or Spurs every year in the playoffs..."
Alright, I reread what you wrote. Your speaking in a past tense which doesn't make sense, because the team of Tmac, Yao and artest never played together in the playoffs. See if you wrote it as what would of happened you should of written "they would of lost to the Lakers or Spurs every year in the playoffs..." It's just basic English.

wrong... read how you posed the question...

you asked what they could have done

Asik's better
04-11-2014, 07:48 PM
wrong... read how you posed the question...

you asked what they could have done

I wasn't asking a question, I was making a statement, so try again.

RandomGaminCrew
04-12-2014, 06:07 PM
D-Rose