PDA

View Full Version : Most Staggering Stat of Season: KD 201 more FT attempts than LBJ

P&GRealist
04-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Saw this on First Take. Could FT attempts and more phantom calls give KD the edge over Lebron in MVP race?

kdspurman
04-10-2014, 01:32 PM
It's not as staggering to me. KD gets superstar calls and then some. It's tough to watch at times but that's how it's been. Lebron probably gets the Shaq treatment a little in terms of why he doesn't get more calls

conway429
04-10-2014, 01:35 PM
it's not that staggering.... pretty sure it was about the same last year. lebron used to get to the line like KD before he got soft

Chronz
04-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Finally got to see him play in person yesterday, the sense I got was that everyone was scared of him getting a shot off. That kind of pressure gets players out of position pretty easily, there were maybe 2 calls that I thought were BS but the call was made from the ref on the other end of the court so I imagine its just my limited point of view. Bron doesn't get that same respect and hes not as quick as he used to be to outright bulldoze his way into the lane. KD does get superstar calls, but watching him has confirmed my suspicion, dude is hard to officiate. Bron does sorta get the Shaq treatment of refs letting more contact go, but its also an advantage for him sometimes

P&GRealist
04-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Finally got to see him play in person yesterday, the sense I got was that everyone was scared of him getting a shot off. That kind of pressure gets players out of position pretty easily, there were maybe 2 calls that I thought were BS but the call was made from the ref on the other end of the court so I imagine its just my limited point of view. Bron doesn't get that same respect and hes not as quick as he used to be to outright bulldoze his way into the lane. KD does get superstar calls, but watching him has confirmed my suspicion, dude is hard to officiate. Bron does sorta get the Shaq treatment of refs letting more contact go, but its also an advantage for him sometimes

1 of those BS calls were the cheap swing thru no call against Barnes, temporarily fumbling the ball, and retrieving it and then putting up the shot and then getting the call.

MrfadeawayJB
04-10-2014, 01:48 PM
More staggering the grizz are lowest fta team in the league I believe

ManRam
04-10-2014, 01:49 PM
It's not staggering. He's a bit more aggressive scoring-wise than LeBron has been this season and he's much more lanky and frail. Fouls, or 50-50 plays, just look more severe against him than LeBron.

He deserves to be going to the line a ton...but I think he gets more calls than most at this point. But props to him; he forces the refs to make a lot of decisions and is great at drawing and playing to contact. I'm a bit hypocritical, admittedly, because KD's FT-drawing antics do bother me at times...and LeBron's rarely, if ever, did. I do think LeBron takes a bit more of a beating, however.

JC_
04-10-2014, 01:56 PM
I haven't watched a ton this season but Lebron has been driving to the basket way more and taking more contact without calls lately than I've seen in recent years. He's been playing like "gtfo of my way" rather than using the time-tested method of contorting and embellishing to get calls. No way in hell would a defender be able to get on Durant like Tony Allen was on Lebron last night without fouling out early.

As for KD, I think more than anything, he's been campaigning for MVP more than Lebron. Spo cut Lebron's minutes earlier in the season and as well as Lebron has been playing, the MVP politics from his side have been lacking.

tredigs
04-10-2014, 02:27 PM
...And this would rank as the 4th highest FTA average in Lebron's career. Congrats on a pointless troll thread.

P&GRealist
04-10-2014, 02:42 PM
...And this would rank as the 4th highest FTA average in Lebron's career. Congrats on a pointless troll thread.

Pointless troll thread? Wtf?

I saw this on first take and wanted to make a discussion out of it.

tredigs
04-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Pointless troll thread? Wtf?

I saw this on first take and wanted to make a discussion out of it.

Stop it, kid. Somehow you may fool the others and actually get a discussion out of this, but your OP was nothing but a worthless one-line troll citing a troll broadcast.

mngopher35
04-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Durant does seem to get a lot of ticky tack fouls but this isn't a huge deal overall in the MVP race.

Durant has a higher usage this year than Lebron since Westbrook was out, which can account for some of the difference here. He also is good at creating contact because defenders have to play so close as Chronz pointed out. Younger players generally do get more FT's as well as they still have and are peaking with their athleticism.

It might be a little annoying sometimes watching the ticky tack calls but that's about it. There is no way this is what affects the MVP voting imo. Durant had the better season and got a few more calls (mostly for reasons above), not a big deal.

savvy1803
04-10-2014, 02:55 PM
The players have to prepare for the upcoming playoffs and to me it appears the officials are as well , it seems they are letting them play a little more over the last week or so , i find it refreshing that they are allowing a little more contact before sending them to the charity stripe . The ticky tack foul still exists but does'nt appear to be as prevalent as it was earlier in the season , just my thought's .

beyourself
04-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Most perimeter players stop getting to the line as much as they used to as they approach 30. LeBron is no different, he used to get to the line more often than KD.

Also, LeBron likes to employ a stiff arm in basketball. On almost every halfcourt drive to the rim he stiff arms somebody. So of course the refs are more likely going to no call.

Shammyguy3
04-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Michael Jordan's top-6 most FT attempts in a season are 972, 860, 793, 746, 721, 699 = 4,791
Lebron James' top-6 most FT attempts in a season are 814, 773, 771, 762, 701, 663 = 4,486
Kobe Bryant's top-6 most FT attempts in a season are 819, 768, 742, 713, 664, 626 = 4,332
Kevin Durant's top-6 most FT attempts in a season are 840, 765, 750, 675, 524, 501 = 4,055

Just as a reference point. And through Durant's prime years those numbers will be replaced by a greater frequency of attempts.

In response to this awful question by the OP: "Could FT attempts and more phantom calls give KD the edge over Lebron in MVP race?"

No. Whose to say Durant's getting more phantom calls than Lebron or anybody else? Whose to say that Lebron's been Durant's equal in everything outside of the amount of FTA?

ghettosean
04-10-2014, 03:09 PM

:clap:

lamzoka
For me Lebron going on a 6 games streak without "committing" a single foul is more staggering than this. btw that was last season

beyourself
I've always said this about Durant's free throws and LBJ stans/Durant haters complaining.

1. Slashers get to the rim and draw fouls, they just do

2. If Durant sucked at shooting free throws they wouldn't be so hurt and bitter about it. But because he's one of the all time greats at the line he makes them and jacks up his stats.

P&GRealist
04-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Stop it, kid. Somehow you may fool the others and actually get a discussion out of this, but your OP was nothing but a worthless one-line troll citing a troll broadcast.
Lol get over yourself boy

mngopher35
04-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I've always said this about Durant's free throws and LBJ stans/Durant haters complaining.

1. Slashers get to the rim and draw fouls, they just do

2. If Durant sucked at shooting free throws they wouldn't be so hurt and bitter about it. But because he's one of the all time greats at the line he makes them and jacks up his stats.

Your first point would seem to be in favor of Lebron getting more calls, just saying

beyourself
04-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Your first point would seem to be in favor of Lebron getting more calls, just saying

At first glance yes, but LeBron doesn't play like he did in Cleveland. He's a much less explosive player who picked up power and lost some speed. He doesn't drive as much as he used to and his USG rates and minutes are down.

His game has evolved to a 30 year old game. It's natural.

mngopher35
04-10-2014, 03:37 PM
At first glance yes, but LeBron doesn't play like he did in Cleveland. He's a much less explosive player who picked up power and lost some speed. He doesn't drive as much as he used to and his USG rates and minutes are down.

His game has evolved to a 30 year old game. It's natural.

I pretty much agree with you but I still think Lebron is more of a slasher. Loss of athletecism/age and usage definitely contribute to the difference though.

Master Mind
04-10-2014, 04:59 PM
As eluded to earlier, Shaq was difficult to officiate and it seems to be the case for Lebron and players like Dwight and Blake with bigger physiques. Example, Lebron gets judo chopped by Ibaka and no call. KD on the other hand probably would've drawn a flagrant foul because of his slim physique. I too agree that it's startling, considering the fact that it's by such a large margin.

tredigs
04-10-2014, 05:15 PM
More fun facts: Kevin Durant has taken 250 more field goal attempts than Lebron. The list of players who have taken more shots than Lebron this season includes Paul George, Blake Griffin and Demar Derozan. This season will rank 9th of 11 seasons for Lebron in FT attempts only behind his rookie year and last season. This season will rank 10th of 11 in minutes per game for Lebron. Kevin Durant currently leads the league in Usage% as well as total minutes played.

I'm here to educate.

Chronz
04-10-2014, 06:11 PM
You know whats another interesting tidbit. Theres only 1 player in the L, who gets more pts scored from "driving" than actual driving attempts per game, his name is Durant.

beliges
04-10-2014, 06:56 PM
There is nothing "staggering" about this stat. KD is a much more complete scorer than Lebron is. His defenders to not dare him to take the jumper like they do to LBJ. You have to cover Durant tighter than you would have to cover LBJ given Duran can beat you with the jumper as well as by getting to the hoop. Couple that with the fact Durant is more aggressive offensively, looking to score, the discrepancy makes sense.

benny01
04-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Also not staggering because it is 200 or so attempts over 75+ games. 1.5 fouls a game or so

Triple_Ocho
04-10-2014, 10:13 PM
I think this is actually Lebron's fault... He flops more now than I've ever seen him flop before... Instead of trying to get foul calls he should try to score some buckets... Even with his tendency to flop he is still the best player in the league

Jeffy25
04-10-2014, 11:26 PM
And there are sometimes, just plain bad calls.

Was at the Heat/Grizzles game yesterday.

Lebron was pretty careless in the game overall, and he was trying to back a player down, and when he went to push back against him again, the player tried to go around Lebron and tip the ball he was dribbling, completely not touching Lebron at all. Lebron expected the guy to be there still behind as he was backing him down, and Lebron fell on his back.....again, untouched, fell because he was expecting the player to still be there, and they called a foul.

That was one of the worse calls I've seen in a game. He tried himself up, and someone else was called for a foul?

I know bad calls happen all the time, but that was pretty awful.

that said, it's worth noting that KD also shoots a hell of a lot more, he has taken almost 300 more field goal shots than Lebron on the year too.

Durant is an efficient volume scorer. Lebron dishes the ball a lot more than KD. They aren't the same type of player, I don't find the difference in field goal attempts staggering at all. I think it should be expected considering the amount of shooting KD does.