PDA

View Full Version : Raptors : MVP? MIP? DPY? 6th man ?

RAPS424
04-10-2014, 07:16 AM
This was the question for the "ask Matt" during last nights game ... I thought it might be interesting to see how this forum votes for our
MVP? MIP ( most improved player) ? DPY ( defensive player of the year )?
And 6th man of the year ...

Here's mine :

MVP : Lowry
MIP : JVal ( tho Ross was really close )
DPY: Ross ( he had to guard the other teams best player every night whether he was a 1 2 or 3) ( Amir was a close second )
6th man : 2Pat ( tho Vaqz came on strong the past few weeks)

I Rock Shaqs
04-10-2014, 07:45 AM
MVP: Masai Ujiri
MIP: Dwane Casey
DPY: Lowry
6th Man: Vasquez.

RAPS424
04-10-2014, 07:57 AM
The "P" kinda stands for " PLAYER" but ok

I Rock Shaqs
04-10-2014, 08:16 AM
The "P" kinda stands for " PLAYER" but ok

Not for me bruh. I'm a rebel.

jon32
04-10-2014, 08:23 AM
MIP : Demar
DPY : Amir
6th Man : Patterson ...... team struggled while he was gone

mike_noodles
04-10-2014, 09:40 AM
MIP : Ross
DPY: Lowry -- leading the team with 31, second on the team has 7.
6th man : Patman

Mile High Champ
04-10-2014, 10:04 AM
MVP: DeRozan. Yes Lowry has been sensational this year but DeRozan has carried the team on his back the majority of the season.
MIP: Kyle Lowry. Went from being a good starting PG with loads of potential to being a top 5 PG in the game.
DPY: Terrence Ross or DeMar DeRozan. Both players have had great defensive seasons on the wing.
6th Man: Vasquez. I can't imagine where this team would of been had he not been acquired. That duel PG backourt of Vasquez and Lowry will be huge in the playoffs.

killersweet
04-10-2014, 10:25 AM
MVP : Lowry. Heart and soul of the team. Raptors would have crumbled without him.
MIP : Ross. Big leap this year. Especially improved a lot on defense.
DPY: Amir Johnson. He is not flashy. But he protects the rim nicely and unassumingly.
6th man : Tie for Patman and GV. Both have been great and helps out the team at crucial times.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-10-2014, 10:49 AM
MVP - Lowry (1A), Derozan (1B)
MIP - Ross
DPY - Ross
6th - Vasquez

BALLER R
04-10-2014, 11:00 AM
MVP: DeRozan. Yes Lowry has been sensational this year but DeRozan has carried the team on his back the majority of the season.
MIP: Kyle Lowry. Went from being a good starting PG with loads of potential to being a top 5 PG in the game.
DPY: Terrence Ross or DeMar DeRozan. Both players have had great defensive seasons on the wing.
6th Man: Vasquez. I can't imagine where this team would of been had he not been acquired. That duel PG backourt of Vasquez and Lowry will be huge in the playoffs.

Demar carried the team on his back? That's no true.

and Ross or Demar. Ross defensively is better than Demar and it's not even close. If you consider Demar great defensively then what the heck do you consider Ross.

BALLER R
04-10-2014, 11:05 AM
MVP: Lowry
MIP: Ross/JV
DPY: Ross
6TH Man: Patterson

Johann
04-10-2014, 11:12 AM
MVP - Lowry

MIP - Co-Winners: Derozan and Lowry. Derozan learned how to drive to the basket , adding a whole new dimension to his game, while adding 2.7 FTA per game from last year. He's also becoming a better passer and defender. Lowry is having a career (/contract) year with improved stats across the board, including improved FG% and adding 6 PPG more than last year.

DPY - Ross. Successfully guarded some of the league's premier scorers.

6th man - Co-Winners: Patterson and Vasquez. Would have been Patterson 100% if he hadn't played 14 less games than Vasquez. Patterson adds a huge spark off the bench. Vasquez successfully changes the pace of the game when he's on the floor.

ink
04-10-2014, 11:43 AM
MVP - Lowry

MIP - Co-Winners: Derozan and Lowry. Derozan learned how to drive to the basket , adding a whole new dimension to his game, while adding 2.7 FTA per game from last year. He's also becoming a better passer and defender. Lowry is having a career (/contract) year with improved stats across the board, including improved FG% and adding 6 PPG more than last year.

DPY - Ross. Successfully guarded some of the league's premier scorers.

6th man - Co-Winners: Patterson and Vasquez. Would have been Patterson 100% if he hadn't played 14 less games than Vasquez. Patterson adds a huge spark off the bench. Vasquez successfully changes the pace of the game when he's on the floor.

Totally agree with this. In league terms Lowry will likely be considered for MIP so I think it holds true for us too. Also agree about 6th man. The thing about this team is that their success is so much based on interdependence that individual awards need to be given out jointly. A good sign for a team sport. :up:

Raps Insider 12
04-10-2014, 11:47 AM
MVP - Lowry, the heart and soul of this team and soon to be an expensive FA.

MIP - Demar, the award says it all and this is coming from me :).

DPY - Ross and a healthy Amir

6th Man - Patterson

MoneyBall20
04-10-2014, 11:48 AM

I pretty much agree with everything u said,dead on.
I love the image of Ross hitting that shot,it's just sick..

Mile High Champ
04-10-2014, 01:50 PM
[B]

Demar carried the team on his back? That's no true.

and Ross or Demar. Ross defensively is better than Demar and it's not even close. If you consider Demar great defensively then what the heck do you consider Ross.

I don't understand how that is such an outlandish statement. DeMar is the teams leading scorer and for the majority of the season, the teams closer late in games. He is the guy, this team leans on when the Raps need a late basket or need to score on any given posession. I am not taking anything away from Lowry but for me, DeRozan has been more vital to our offensive success due to his growth as good jump shooter and someone who can consistently get to rim.

As far as defense goes, it takes more than simply the eye test to evaluate great defensive talent. Here is some education on the wonderful tool of analytics and synergy statistics. This season DeMar is having simply an incredible year on the defensive end. Consider that as it stands, DeMar is the leagues best defender in isolation plays. He only yields .4 PPP (points per possession). In terms of the other areas, DeMar is well above the league average and in the top echelon of wing defenders when it comes to defending the pick and roll (giving up .73 PPP). Ross on the other hand, who has made strides on defense gives up .85 PPP defending the pick and roll. Demar also happens to be a better spot up defender as well as he gives up .91 PPP while Ross gives up 1.02 PPP. The only area Ross has the edge in on defense is post defese but both players spend less than 8% of their time defending on the block. DeRozan also currently has a significant edge in opponent field goal percentage as Ross gives up 39% on defense to DeRozan's 36%.

While Ross is a more flashy defensive player (playing the passing lanes and making the dramatic stops), DeRozan is clearly the better defender.

RAPS424
04-10-2014, 02:15 PM
I don't understand how that is such an outlandish statement. DeMar is the teams leading scorer and for the majority of the season, the teams closer late in games. He is the guy, this team leans on when the Raps need a late basket or need to score on any given posession. I am not taking anything away from Lowry but for me, DeRozan has been more vital to our offensive success due to his growth as good jump shooter and someone who can consistently get to rim.

As far as defense goes, it takes more than simply the eye test to evaluate great defensive talent. Here is some education on the wonderful tool of analytics and synergy statistics. This season DeMar is having simply an incredible year on the defensive end. Consider that as it stands, DeMar is the leagues best defender in isolation plays. He only yields .4 PPP (points per possession). In terms of the other areas, DeMar is well above the league average and in the top echelon of wing defenders when it comes to defending the pick and roll (giving up .73 PPP). Ross on the other hand, who has made strides on defense gives up .85 PPP defending the pick and roll. Demar also happens to be a better spot up defender as well as he gives up .91 PPP while Ross gives up 1.02 PPP. The only area Ross has the edge in on defense is post defese but both players spend less than 8% of their time defending on the block. DeRozan also currently has a significant edge in opponent field goal percentage as Ross gives up 39% on defense to DeRozan's 36%.

While Ross is a more flashy defensive player (playing the passing lanes and making the dramatic stops), DeRozan is clearly the better defender.

Except for the simple fact that in all your stats and educating ... You failed to mention or perhaps never noticed when u watch games that Ross will be assigned the teams best players to defend and DeRo is asked to guard the less talented ... The reason Ross guards the other teams star players IS because he's the better defender ... Of course the stats will be in DeRos favor, he's gusrding weaker players for the most part ( and for the record ... I love DeRo !! He's our allstar , but clearly not a better defender than Terrence Ross

LanceUpperCut
04-10-2014, 03:18 PM
MVP-DeMar and Lowry. I don't care what anyone says they have both been equal to this team Lowry is just the sexy pick, the so called heart and Soul as if Demar isn't an absolute warrior and poured his heart and soul into this team.
MIP-Ross. He went from possibly being a bust to one of the best in his class and found his 3/D niche
DPY-Ross/Lowry. Ross probably 1A for overall D and Lowry for all the damn charges.
6th-GV. Patterson has been good but GV has been underrated, slow start but since the first couple weeks here has turned into maybe the best back up PG in the NBA.

[X-Factor- Jonas V has really came on here soon and to me will be huge if we want to do damage in the playoffs

pulzar
04-10-2014, 03:30 PM
I completely agree with MHC on everything but DPY, where I'd go with Lowry, although no one defender has completely impressed me. Ross has been phenomenal at times, and also very weak at times. DeMar has been quite solid.

MVP: DeMar
MIP: Lowry (although both Ross and Val need to be recognized for significant, albeit inconsistent, improvement)
6th: Vasquez

Yes, Lowry is extremely valuable to the team, but the way our offense is structured right now, we wouldn't be nearly as good without DeMar. On the other hand, we've seen the team play well without Lowry.

Vasquez is turning into a carbon copy of Jose at his best which, now that Lowry has been established as a starter, is fantastic.

Rego247
04-10-2014, 03:39 PM

It's all about context, man.

killersweet
04-10-2014, 03:46 PM
MVP-DeMar and Lowry. I don't care what anyone says they have both been equal to this team Lowry is just the sexy pick, the so called heart and Soul as if Demar isn't an absolute warrior and poured his heart and soul into this team.
MIP-Ross. He went from possibly being a bust to one of the best in his class and found his 3/D niche
DPY-Ross/Lowry. Ross probably 1A for overall D and Lowry for all the damn charges.
6th-GV. Patterson has been good but GV has been underrated, slow start but since the first couple weeks here has turned into maybe the best back up PG in the NBA.

[X-Factor- Jonas V has really came on here soon and to me will be huge if we want to do damage in the playoffs
Lowry is not just a sexy pick. He is the one who rallies the troops and has shown some real leadership. I am not saying DD is not worthy. He would be a close 2nd on the MVP question for me. But I still think we would have faced much harder times if we lost Lowry for significant part of the season.

pebloemer
04-10-2014, 03:48 PM

Your sig...

I totally missed that part of the game it seems. 360 3pter? Not sure that was in the playbook. What a shot though.

killersweet
04-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Your sig...

I totally missed that part of the game it seems. 360 3pter? Not sure that was in the playbook. What a shot though.
That was a sick shot by ross. more like a playground play. loved it.

Raps Insider 12
04-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Lowry is not just a sexy pick. He is the one who rallies the troops and has shown some real leadership. I am not saying DD is not worthy. He would be a close 2nd on the MVP question for me. But I still think we would have faced much harder times if we lost Lowry for significant part of the season.

Agree. The question of the OP is who is the team's MVP. The opinion is Lowry. The heart and soul is an adjective to describe Lowry and never was it implied that Demar is not. People are just ultra sensitive that Demar is not included in the discussion.

Just like Durant vs. James, it can be argued that both deserved the award but at the end only one gets the pick.

MIP is Demar because of the huge improvement in his game.

Goddam.

akesh99
04-10-2014, 04:51 PM
MIP: DeRozan
6th: Patterson

Rego247
04-10-2014, 04:56 PM

Win shares - Lowry > Derozan
Win shares per 48 - Lowry > Derozan
Estimated Wins Added - Lowry > Derozan
PER - Lowry > Derozan

Not sure what his WARP stat is, but I'll bet it's higher than Demar's.

Definitely not the sexy pick.

ScottFromCanada
04-10-2014, 05:18 PM
MIP: Ross
6th man: Vazquez

Jamiecballer
04-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Lowry Lowry Amir Hayes

ink
04-10-2014, 06:59 PM
6th man IMO has to be Patterson. I see Vasquez as essential but he's chiefly the backup PG, floor general for the 2nd unit even if he gets 1st unit minutes. Patman is a strategic offensive difference maker for the first unit and to me that's the defining characteristic of a 6th man. Someone who can confound the opposition's first unit strategy. He's also been brilliant in the role even with time out for injury.

BALLER R
04-10-2014, 07:36 PM

Homer much.

killersweet
04-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Agree. The question of the OP is who is the team's MVP. The opinion is Lowry. The heart and soul is an adjective to describe Lowry and never was it implied that Demar is not. People are just ultra sensitive that Demar is not included in the discussion.

Just like Durant vs. James, it can be argued that both deserved the award but at the end only one gets the pick.

MIP is Demar because of the huge improvement in his game.

Goddam.

Win shares - Lowry > Derozan
Win shares per 48 - Lowry > Derozan
Estimated Wins Added - Lowry > Derozan
PER - Lowry > Derozan

Not sure what his WARP stat is, but I'll bet it's higher than Demar's.

Definitely not the sexy pick.

DD is essential for this team to succeed. No doubt about that. We all probably have different definitions about a MVP. To me lowry seems to fit better than DD in the MVP category. At the same time I can respect ppl thinking DD should be the one. End of the day, we need both of them to perform at higher level to get something done during the playoffs.

North Yorker
04-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Except for the simple fact that in all your stats and educating ... You failed to mention or perhaps never noticed when u watch games that Ross will be assigned the teams best players to defend and DeRo is asked to guard the less talented ... The reason Ross guards the other teams star players IS because he's the better defender ... Of course the stats will be in DeRos favor, he's gusrding weaker players for the most part ( and for the record ... I love DeRo !! He's our allstar , but clearly not a better defender than Terrence Ross

Exactly. Demar is probably our worst defender in our starting 5. In our last game vs the Heat he never guarded LeBron. Ross, Salmons, and Landry Fields did. Demar guarded Toney Douglas and James Jones.

I bet he posted great defensive stats that game...

RAPS424
04-10-2014, 08:27 PM
DD is essential for this team to succeed. No doubt about that. We all probably have different definitions about a MVP. To me lowry seems to fit better than DD in the MVP category. At the same time I can respect ppl thinking DD should be the one. End of the day, we need both of them to perform at higher level to get something done during the playoffs.

Exactly .. And I'm not hating on DeRo AT ALL!! Like I said .. I love him , He's our most talented offensive weapon .. Just not our best defender by any stretch of the imagination

Oops I replied to the wrong post lol

Jays Claw
04-11-2014, 10:53 AM
MIP: Ross/JV
6TH Man: Patterson/Hayes

pebloemer
04-11-2014, 11:05 AM
In honour of his warning from the league today.

FPY (Flopping Player of the Year) - Kyle Lowry ;).

He does do a great job getting position and taking charges (as well as fighting through screens), but the embellishment at times is a little frustrating to watch as a fan.

B2B
04-11-2014, 12:29 PM
MVP - Lowry
MIP - DeRozan
DPY - Amir
6th M - Vasquez

firebryan!!
04-16-2014, 04:24 AM
m.v.p-dd
m.i.p-dd
d.p.y-kyle
sixth man-2 pat an gv tie

BHF
04-16-2014, 09:45 AM
MVP - Lowry without him this team wins 20 games or less
MIP - Lowry from 11 pts a game to 18 pts with more assists per game
DPY - Lowry
6th man - Vasquez

There is nothing Derozan does better than Lowry and its laughable that people pick Derozan as the DPY that guy is terrible terrible on defense almost Jose bad.

BALLER R
04-16-2014, 10:26 AM
MVP - Lowry without him this team wins 20 games or less
MIP - Lowry from 11 pts a game to 18 pts with more assists per game
DPY - Lowry
6th man - Vasquez

There is nothing Derozan does better than Lowry and its laughable that people pick Derozan as the DPY that guy is terrible terrible on defense almost Jose bad.

I'll agree with you on the Derozan comment. Lowry is MVP but you really think we win 20 games or less without him or your just over exaggerating.

BHF
04-16-2014, 11:42 AM
[B]

I'll agree with you on the Derozan comment. Lowry is MVP but you really think we win 20 games or less without him or your just over exaggerating.

lol yeah maybe i am over exaggerating a little :) but i rly don't think we would win more than 30 games without him.