PDA

View Full Version : The Lakers Coach is Setting a Record..in a bad way

Tony_Starks
04-09-2014, 02:50 PM
The Lakers almost gave up 150 the other night. 150! Think about that number..... The Lakers have set records giving up points this season. Can we please stop giving this man a pass? Some of YOU guys would do a better job coaching this team.

Goose17
04-09-2014, 02:57 PM
I thought this was going to be about the fact that they have locked up the worst record in franchise history since they moved to L.A

Tony_Starks
04-09-2014, 03:03 PM
I thought this was going to be about the fact that they have locked up the worst record in franchise history since they moved to L.A

Don't troll man. The Lakers are historically bad. Legitimate discussion.

abe_froman
04-09-2014, 03:06 PM
nobody is giving him a pass,its just a lost season,he'll be replaced in the offseason

...i mean you guys are tanking anyway,so why care?

Ebbs
04-09-2014, 03:06 PM

Don't troll man. The Lakers are historically bad. Legitimate discussion.

He's not trolling that's a legitimate fact.

Hawkeye15
04-09-2014, 03:12 PM
I mean, Mike D was a one hit wonder, but cmon, look at what the Lakers march out on the floor every night...

I think its so comical that many Laker fans are acting like they are going through a dire period of time. You have dominated for 35 years. Get over it.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-09-2014, 03:20 PM
tanking. close thread

TylerSL
04-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Dantoni should be fired on April 17. The Lakers need to completely start from scratch next season. They will have a ton of cap, a top pick in the draft, Kobe's return, and if they fire Dantoni a new, possibly impressive, Head Coach.

Avenged
04-09-2014, 04:01 PM
He's leading the tank! Honestly.. I wish we would have lost more.. Some games we had no business winning but oh well.

ManRam
04-09-2014, 04:07 PM
The Lakers almost gave up 150 the other night. 150! Think about that number..... The Lakers have set records giving up points this season. Can we please stop giving this man a pass? Some of YOU guys would do a better job coaching this team.

Who's giving him a pass? :laugh2: The guy is gonna get run out of town and has been lambasted since day one. I don't think anyone regards him highly as a head coach any more. He might be a bright offensive mind, but that's about it.

I will say, however, the talent really isn't there. Should any team be giving up 145 points? Hell no. But still, the lack of talent on that team is pretty stark. Not a single one of those starters are starting caliber players in the NBA. Nick Young can be a decent 6th/7th man, and Farmar has had his moments, but man, there's so little quality NBA talent on that team...and even fewer that can defend even with a coach that can coach defense. In some ways, I think the team has overachieved at times this year :shrug:

Bruno
04-09-2014, 04:10 PM
He's leading the tank! Honestly.. I wish we would have lost more.. Some games we had no business winning but oh well.

yeah didn't we beat Indy and Portland recently? wtf were they doing trying to hard.

Bruno
04-09-2014, 04:11 PM
any GM who gives MDA a head coaching job in the NBA should be fired.

MDA should just go lock up a well paying college gig until he wants to retire. his philosophy has failed in the NBA. i give MDA zero credit for Miami success with 'small ball'. that was just elite level player-to-player collusion and he shouldn't get credit for that.

Sadds The Gr8
04-09-2014, 04:14 PM
The roster is worse than the coach

ManRam
04-09-2014, 04:41 PM
yeah didn't we beat Indy and Portland recently? wtf were they doing trying to hard.

The belief that players and coaches are trying to intentionally lose individual games is likely most always a misguided one. I don't think the Lakers have ever "tanked" this year. They wanted to be moderately competitive entering the season. Injuries derailed things a bit, as did disappointing play from certain individuals. But the reality is: they just suck. Now when a team sucks we say they're "tanking" without consideration to whether or not they actually are. It's silly and the word is used poorly faaarrr more often than not. Whether teams are looking to the future or not, there always will and always have been bad teams or teams that disappointed. Only recently do we lazily throw that "tank" tag to every team that fits that bill. And it's dumb.

MDA has nothing to gain by intentionally sabotaging games. All these (young) players who signed one year contracts have nothing to gain by playing anything less than the best they can. There's no incentive for any of the individuals that actually have an impact on the outcome of a game to be sabotaging.

I hate the liberal use of the word "tank". So pardon my rant!! And I know MANY use the word tongue in cheek. And this post isn't really aimed at you, at all, mainly the post you responded to and the other two "tank" posts. But you seem stunned that they're actually playing hard, and that's weird. OF COURSE they are.

P&GRealist
04-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Tank Commander

The Michael Jordan of tanking.

Bruno
04-09-2014, 04:55 PM
The belief that players and coaches are trying to intentionally lose individual games is likely most always a misguided one. I don't think the Lakers have ever "tanked" this year. They wanted to be moderately competitive entering the season. Injuries derailed things a bit, as did disappointing play from certain individuals. But the reality is: they just suck. Now when a team sucks we say they're "tanking" without consideration to whether or not they actually are. It's silly and the word is used poorly faaarrr more often than not. Whether teams are looking to the future or not, there always will and always have been bad teams or teams that disappointed. Only recently do we lazily throw that "tank" tag to every team that fits that bill. And it's dumb.

MDA has nothing to gain by intentionally sabotaging games. All these (young) players who signed one year contracts have nothing to gain by playing anything less than the best they can. There's no incentive for any of the individuals that actually have an impact on the outcome of a game to be sabotaging.

I hate the liberal use of the word "tank". So pardon my rant!! And I know MANY use the word tongue in cheek. And this post isn't really aimed at you, at all, mainly the post you responded to and the other two "tank" posts. But you seem stunned that they're actually playing hard, and that's weird. OF COURSE they are.
i was being facetious.

Kashmir13579
04-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Give d'antoni the pg he needs and he will win games. Give him a crappy team and he won't. It's that simple.

Bruno
04-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Give d'antoni the pg he needs and he will win games. Give him a crappy team and he won't. It's that simple.
regular season games.

when the game slows down in the post-season and teams get into lock down mode all his teams are doomed. its a failed strategy.

P&GRealist
04-09-2014, 05:05 PM

Not sure what not having a decent pg has anything to do with giving up 145 points

Tony_Starks
04-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Lakers aren't tanking. They are injured and horribly coached. Point blank period.

The sad part is the Lakers are actually trying to win.

torocan
04-09-2014, 06:03 PM
Look at the roster. The talent disparity is ridiculous.

The Lakers are rolling out a glorified D-league roster and ran into a buzz saw in the Rockets. Remember, this is the same team that put up 69 points in a half -- 47 points in the 2nd quarter against Denver. The same team that has put up 60+ points in a half 28 times this season and 40+ points in a quarter multiple times.

Just be happy that they didn't run the score up even more. The way they were shooting they could have EASILY put another 40 points up.

The only reason the Rockets didn't run the score up to 180 is out of pity.

D'Antoni isn't Pops, but expecting him to get even passable results when they can't even match up against Terrence Jones, let alone Harden, Parsons, (insert any Rockets player here) is silly. PJax and Pops could be coaching this team and wouldn't have made a lick of difference against the Rockets last night.

This might as well have been Kentucky vs Central Missouri...

Zefflin
04-09-2014, 06:11 PM
I mean, Mike D was a one hit wonder, but cmon, look at what the Lakers march out on the floor every night...

I think its so comical that many Laker fans are acting like they are going through a dire period of time. You have dominated for 35 years. Get over it.

haha seriously right?

Avenged
04-09-2014, 06:15 PM

i was being facetious.

He is just taking things too serious again. Don't mind him!

abe_froman
04-09-2014, 06:16 PM
Lakers aren't tanking. They are injured and horribly coached. Point blank period.

The sad part is the Lakers are actually trying to win.
of course the players are trying to win ,its a point of pride.tanking is when the management make it impossible win: hiring dumb coaches,keeping good players out on injury as long as possible,fielding the active roster with the worst players they can get,ect..now does any of that sound familiar? yeah,they are tanking

its not a bad thing ,its the best move for the organization.you werent going to contend,all winning would have accomplished would have been a worse draft position.

Tony_Starks
04-09-2014, 06:38 PM
of course the players are trying to win ,its a point of pride.tanking is when the management make it impossible win: hiring dumb coaches,keeping good players out on injury as long as possible,fielding the active roster with the worst players they can get,ect..now does any of that sound familiar? yeah,they are tanking

its not a bad thing ,its the best move for the organization.you werent going to contend,all winning would have accomplished would have been a worse draft position.

Well most Laker fans knew this was a lost season. That's not the issue. It's historic ridiculous record breaking losing that's the issue. The Bulls don't have Rose, they still play hard. The nuggets play hard and they're not very good..etc, etc.....The coach can't get a pass, I don't care who is on the floor.

Not to mention he has randomly benched a few of his best healthy players.....but that's another story.

abe_froman
04-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Well most Laker fans knew this was a lost season. That's not the issue. It's historic ridiculous record breaking losing that's the issue. The Bulls don't have Rose, they still play hard. The nuggets play hard and they're not very good..etc, etc.....The coach can't get a pass, I don't care who is on the floor.

Not to mention he has randomly benched a few of his best healthy players.....but that's another story.
how is that a bad thing? every loss is more pingpong balls,even if you won every game left you still wouldnt be in the playoffs,so embrace it.in the summer or next there will be a house cleaning and start winning again,but this is part of rebuilding.

the coach isnt getting a pass,he's a dead man walking,so there really is no need to invest all this caring.

(seriously,i'm baffled that you dont want them to lose at this point)

Hawkeye15
04-09-2014, 06:55 PM

you are seriously underestimating how bad the Lakers talent level is. With Gasol gimping most the year, Nash one foot in the grave, Kobe gone, they are marching out 5 starters, none of which would start on a good team, and a bench full of d-leaguers. I mean, you start Wesley ****ing Johnson, Jodie Meeks, and Kendall Marshall.

Greg Popovich, John Wooden, Phil Jackson, or Red Auerbach couldn't coach this roster to 40 wins.

JasonJohnHorn
04-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Well....

With Kobe and Nash out most of the season, and Gasol out for large chucks of the season, and a coach that won't play Kaman and has a history of not playing Hill going back to his NY days, it is not surprising that the Lakers have an awful record. What is surprising is that it's not worse.

25 wins is fawking brutal, but it's not as brutal a record as ORL, MIL and PHI has, and Philly started the season hot!

The Lakers are dressing up a D-League team for a lot of games, and that is not an exaggeration. Their starting point guard was brought up from the D-League, and other guys were second round picks. Kent Bazemore, Kendall Marshall, Ryan Kelly, Xavier Henry, Robert Scarce. These are all guys who were playing in the D-League and got called up, and they are getting significant minutes and starting in some cases.

That is pathetic.

'Antoni is not a great coach, but this record is as much about who is on the floor as it is who is on the bench.

Hawkeye15
04-09-2014, 06:57 PM
and Laker fans need to relax. You have never had to build directly through the draft. You will get a top pick this year, get Kobe back next year, and have oodles of cap space the following year, in the most attractive market, with the most attractive team to play for in the NBA.

It's not going to be but 2-3 years before they are in the thick of it again, unless the new FO just screws it up.

P&GRealist
04-09-2014, 07:22 PM
and Laker fans need to relax. You have never had to build directly through the draft. You will get a top pick this year, get Kobe back next year, and have oodles of cap space the following year, in the most attractive market, with the most attractive team to play for in the NBA.

It's not going to be but 2-3 years before they are in the thick of it again, unless the new FO just screws it up.

That's what Lakers fans are scared of.

Lakers + Giants
04-09-2014, 07:26 PM

Agreed. I've seen people say lakers are completely done for the next decade. Guess they just started watching the NBA.

Tony_Starks
04-09-2014, 07:29 PM
you are seriously underestimating how bad the Lakers talent level is. With Gasol gimping most the year, Nash one foot in the grave, Kobe gone, they are marching out 5 starters, none of which would start on a good team, and a bench full of d-leaguers. I mean, you start Wesley ****ing Johnson, Jodie Meeks, and Kendall Marshall.

Greg Popovich, John Wooden, Phil Jackson, or Red Auerbach couldn't coach this roster to 40 wins.

Oh trust me I know, they basically have a Junior College team. I watch every single game. But that doesn't hide the fact his coaching is really really bad.

I'll put it like this, switch coaches and your Wolves would be the worst in the league and Lakers would be just below .500. Not to mention his run shoot no defense coaching style coincidentally gets all his players hurt...

mrblisterdundee
04-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Mike D'Antoni fails to grasp basic defense. Why can't the Lakers play some zone and be somewhat respectable? All its players are young.

Tony_Starks
04-09-2014, 07:35 PM
Mike D'Antoni fails to grasp basic defense. Why can't the Lakers play some zone and be somewhat respectable? All its players are young.

Man that's just common sense. Don
Nelson new nothing about defense but was smart enough to stay in a zone!

Hawkeye15
04-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Agreed. I've seen people say lakers are completely done for the next decade. Guess they just started watching the NBA.

the only way that happens is if their new FO alignment just kills them.

Hawkeye15
04-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Oh trust me I know, they basically have a Junior College team. I watch every single game. But that doesn't hide the fact his coaching is really really bad.

I'll put it like this, switch coaches and your Wolves would be the worst in the league and Lakers would be just below .500. Not to mention his run shoot no defense coaching style coincidentally gets all his players hurt...

you don't have a player on your roster as good as Love, Pekovic, Rubio, and possibly Martin. Not that has played this year, as we have seen Gasol go downhill fast.

No coach ever could get the Lakers roster near .500.

NBA_Starter
04-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Way to go Antoni.

Tony_Starks
04-09-2014, 07:59 PM

I think we're back next year. It just hurts to watch this level of Tomfoolery. I haven't seen Laker basketball this bad since the days of Sedale Threat man!!!

D-Leethal
04-09-2014, 09:39 PM
145 is ridiculous but is McHale a bum too for giving up 130? D'Antoni wants to play at a frantic pace, he wants the games to be high scoring, and he wants to end up on top. That doesn't mean you don't care about defense or can't execute defensively. Suns were always a middle of the pack defensive team with two of the worst defenders ever at their respective positions of the 1 and 5. D'Antoni had the Knicks ranked 3rd overall for nearly an entire season, playing guys like Landry Fields, Stoudemire, Melo big minutes.

The part about "he can't get it done in the playoffs" is so stupid, he actually has a great playoff record, he had about 4 legitimate opportunities to win a title and didn't win one. Guys like Sloan and George Karl get nothing but praise on here when they couldn't get it done over 30+ year span.

As Kashimir said, get D'Antoni the type of players he needs to be successful and he can get you 60 wins and a shot at the title. Sprinkle some good defenders in there and his teams will defend at a requisite level. Get him true contender-level talent, the guys he wants on offense with a bonafide anchor on the D who fits the offensive style, and you will have a team that can win a title and you CAN build a bonafide defense with him at the helm. The story isn't different for any other coach in the league.

Bruno
04-09-2014, 10:26 PM
That's what Lakers fans are scared of.
x2. ultimately the new management has zero track record. they are as unproven as the scrubs they've been paying to fill in the gaps this year.

i hope hawk is right..

Bruno
04-09-2014, 10:27 PM
you don't have a player on your roster as good as Love, Pekovic, Rubio, and possibly Martin. Not that has played this year, as we have seen Gasol go downhill fast.

No coach ever could get the Lakers roster near .500.

i do think Gasol has been misused. he's a horrible fit in mdas system. he fell off a cliff two weeks before the 2011 playoffs and hasn't been able to get back since, but in fairness to him he hasn't been used properly or in way that maximizes his strengths since Jackson left.

P&GRealist
04-09-2014, 11:55 PM
i do think Gasol has been misused. he's a horrible fit in mdas system. he fell off a cliff two weeks before the 2011 playoffs and hasn't been able to get back since, but in fairness to him he hasn't been used properly or in way that maximizes his strengths since Jackson left.

Pau Gasol for 2 1/2 yrs has been a vetoed player.

When the Lakers got rid of Lamar, they should have gotten rid of Pau right there and then, or at least shortly thereafter for that season's trade deadline or following offseason.

They always lurked him in trade talks since then. Who the **** would want to give it his all if they're no guarantee they stay there with that same team come March after the deadline?

FOBolous
04-10-2014, 12:28 AM
The Lakers should fire D'Antoni because it's his fault the Lakers are so bad :rolleyes: with the Lakers' roster, not even Poppovich can make the Lakers a winning team. D'Antoni isn't the reason the Lakers are bad. The Lakers are bad due to poor decisions made by the ownership, but D'Antoni's probably is going to be used as a scapegoat and be fired anyways.

P&GRealist
04-10-2014, 12:42 AM
The Lakers should fire D'Antoni because it's his fault the Lakers are so bad :rolleyes: with the Lakers' roster, not even Poppovich can make the Lakers a winning team. D'Antoni isn't the reason the Lakers are bad. The Lakers are bad due to poor decisions made by the ownership, but D'Antoni's probably is going to be used as a scapegoat and be fired anyways.

145 points.

Let me repeat

145 points.

And the 3rd time they've given up 140+ pts this season.

145 pts.

FOBolous
04-10-2014, 12:51 AM
145 points.

Let me repeat

145 points.

145 pts.

Again, look at what he has to work with. Not even Poppovich can make this team better than they are. Plus the Lakers were playing against one of the best offensive team led by the league's best SG who got hot in the 3rd quarter. Harden was just launching and masking 3s like no other.

P&GRealist
04-10-2014, 12:56 AM
Again, look at what he has to work with. Not even Poppovich can make this team better than they are. Plus the Lakers were playing against one of the best offensive team led by the league's best SG who got hot in the 3rd quarter. Harden was just launching and masking 3s like no other.

Kobe is injured. I'm not following.

FOBolous
04-10-2014, 03:13 AM
Kobe is injured. I'm not following.

What's hard to follow? Yall have a horrible roster. Even with Kobe. And who put this horrible roster together? Not D'Antoni.

Goose17
04-10-2014, 06:33 AM
What's hard to follow? Yall have a horrible roster. Even with Kobe. And who put this horrible roster together? Not D'Antoni.

I think he was referring to your comment about Harden being the leagues best SG

"the best offensive team led by the league's best SG"

Kobe is injured, how could they be led by the best SG when the best SG isn't playing?

He was trolling you. You know what that feels like.

ManRam
04-10-2014, 10:17 AM

You can't prove that...and I find that VERY hard to believe. Minny has considerably more talent on that team than the Lakers do.

D-Leethal
04-10-2014, 11:18 AM
145 points.

Let me repeat

145 points.

145 pts.

Thats what happens when you have two teams playing at a frantic pace. D'Antoni wants the games to be in the 120s. Thats his style and that does not mean he doesn't want you to defend. Every now and then your gonna get huge explosions like you saw the other night, just like you would occasionally see a team like the 90s Knicks score in the 60s. When you want that pace, you know your going to give up some points. Legendary teams in the 80s used to give up points like that all the freakin' time. When your gameplan is to try and score 120 for yourself, and you have a D-League team, there are going to be nights like this. Just like if your gameplan is to try and hold a team to 80 points and preach a sluggish pace, you might have a night where you don't even score 65 yourself.