PDA

View Full Version : Are people sleeping on the raptors?

bucketss
04-09-2014, 11:00 AM
i see a lot of people hoping the bulls grab the 3rd see so they can assume it will be nets vs mia in the semi finals,

toronto is 45-32 and have two all star calibre players what makes people think the nets will steam roll them?

Cal827
04-09-2014, 11:20 AM
I think it just comes down to playoff experience. The Nets have a ton of it, we don't.

Also, the Nets will probably enter the playoffs really hot as their ending schedule is pretty easy.
The Raptors have a fairly easy ending schedule too, but we get a desperate/angry Knicks team a couple times.

bucketss
04-09-2014, 12:04 PM
i actually want to drop to the 4th seed so we can take them on, much more exciting series plus we can gain revenge from 2006 loss.

AddiX
04-09-2014, 12:09 PM
I honestly just don't care about the raptors and am not a believer.

They can change that in the playoffs though.

IndyRealist
04-09-2014, 12:11 PM
I think it depends on whether the Raptors get Lowry and Johnson back or not. While the fill-in players (Vasquez and Patterson) have been decent, it depletes their bench significantly. If Johnson comes back and Patterson goes to the bench, they have the kind of frontcourt depth that will get the Nets in big foul trouble.

For the Nets, I really like their small lineup with Pierce at PF, and Mason Plumlee's been a steal. But I don't trust the rest of their bigs if the Nets go with a more tradition lineup to match up with Toronto. Blatche has regressed to the mean, and KG isn't getting any younger (is he injured or resting?).

3Blueforyou
04-09-2014, 12:15 PM
I think it depends on whether the Raptors get Lowry and Johnson back or not. While the fill-in players (Vasquez and Patterson) have been decent, it depletes their bench significantly. If Johnson comes back and Patterson goes to the bench, they have the kind of frontcourt depth that will get the Nets in big foul trouble.

For the Nets, I really like their small lineup with Pierce at PF, and Mason Plumlee's been a steal. But I don't trust the rest of their bigs if the Nets go with a more tradition lineup to match up with Toronto. Blatche has regressed to the mean, and KG isn't getting any younger (is he injured or resting?).

Lowry will be back no issue, Amir will be back for sure too just with his ankle he will always be a risk to go down again in the playoffs.

LanceUpperCut
04-09-2014, 12:18 PM

Well they are almost ready to come back right now but since theirs no rush the might take a couple games off but come playoff time they will be ready for sure.

Cal827
04-09-2014, 12:39 PM

Both are going to return, we are just resting them as we have had some bad teams recently (MIL/PHI). Probably see them when New York is in town on Friday.

smith&wesson
04-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Lowry is playing tonight vs the 76ers... Amir comes back blazing when ever he gets some rest.

The nets dont scare me. Yeah they match up well vs the heat. Too bad they dont match up well vs the raps.
the front court of pp and blatche or plubmlee wont suffice. Lowry & derozan will own the back court of d.will and jj.

the only player I really fear on that team is pp becuase he turns it up a notch in the play offs and has crazy experience.

If the nets had a healthy Lopez, it would def be a different story.

smith&wesson
04-09-2014, 12:43 PM
i actually want to drop to the 4th seed so we can take them on, much more exciting series plus we can gain revenge from 2006 loss.

Dont want to drop to 4 because that means we face the heat in the 2nd round.

but Im with you, the nets dont scare any one here. I wouldnt mind facing them either.

Cal827
04-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Much rather deal with the Nets in the first round over the Bobcats

bucketss
04-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Dont want to drop to 4 because that means we face the heat in the 2nd round.

but Im with you, the nets dont scare any one here. I wouldnt mind facing them either.

exactly, also i just want to face the best teams possible so our players can get better, its not like we're going to win a championship.

Sadds The Gr8
04-09-2014, 01:04 PM
The Raptors don't exist according to ESPN. They've never gotten respect the whole ****in year from that network...

FriedTofuz
04-09-2014, 02:00 PM
If the bobcats get the 6th seed to night, the raptors should consider dropping to 4th to face the nets.

tredigs
04-09-2014, 02:11 PM
The Raptors don't exist according to ESPN. They've never gotten respect the whole ****in year from that network...

A: Who gives a **** about ESPN? It's entertainment, and apparently the Raptors don't pull as many viewers or page views. Simple as that.

B: How much respect should we really give to a team playing in the conference where the 3 seed (coincidentally Toronto) would still not be a playoff team out West?

LanceUpperCut
04-09-2014, 02:28 PM
A: Who gives a **** about ESPN? It's entertainment, and apparently the Raptors don't pull as many viewers or page views. Simple as that.

B: How much respect should we really give to a team playing in the conference where the 3 seed (coincidentally Toronto) would still not be a playoff team out West?

I have a hard time believing that just from attendance numbers and fan sites like PSD and many others, Raps are always in upper half and closer to the top.

As for the not making it in the West playoffs, who cares the bottom 4 teams in the west are all within a couple games from each other and the Raptors had a horrible start with a complete different team. I'd look at the last 60 games over the first 20. I'd say the top 4-5 teams in the East are all playing really well right now (other then Indy of Course) and could compete with any of the other West teams not named SA, LAC and OKC.

smith&wesson
04-09-2014, 02:40 PM

funny how you are soo adamant about this yet are soo wrong at the same time lol.

1. toronto is among the bigger markets in the nba. Toronto is the 4th largest city in Canada and the U.S.

2. Espn is american and probably dont care about canadian viewers since you know, they dont broadcast in Canada. That is the reason the raps dont get much coverage, not because they wouldnt draw in viewers. if espn aired in Canada the raptors would draw in alot of viewers.

KnicksorBust
04-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Usually it takes a team at least one playoffs together before they are able to string together an actual run. I could see Derozan having some rough games. The bigs disappearing. I'd bet on the Nets if that was the 4-5 matchup. However, if the Raptors get the Wizards then I would re-think my prediction because the Wizards have the same hang-ups.

Sadds The Gr8
04-09-2014, 03:03 PM

I'm not nearly as high as other Raptor fans are on the team, but it's pretty ridiculous that Brooklyn and Chicago are constantly mentioned as threats and the Raptors don't even exist. They play in the east too yet everyone is on their balls.

KnicksorBust
04-09-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm not nearly as high as other Raptor fans are on the team, but it's pretty ridiculous that Brooklyn and Chicago are constantly mentioned as threats and the Raptors don't even exist. They play in the east too yet everyone is on their balls.

You don't think it's justified? They don't have nearly the same resume of the other two teams.

todu82
04-09-2014, 03:46 PM
The Raptors. They're going to surprise people in the playoffs IMO.

Sadds The Gr8
04-09-2014, 03:49 PM
You don't think it's justified? They don't have nearly the same resume of the other two teams.

I personally don't think any team can touch Miami anyways, and I do see the logic in hyping Brooklyn and Chicago, but as a surprise team that 95% of NBA watchers predicted would go into the ******* after trading Gay and tank for Wiggins, it's pretty shocking that Toronto is a 3 seed atm. They should be getting more pub IMO but it is what it is...

smith&wesson
04-09-2014, 03:51 PM

resume ? the bulls are with out deng, rose, etc. they dont have the same team they have had in years prior. what resume does augustine, butler, have ? Noah and boozers resume gets them all the respect ? hmm.. weird.

Brooklyn ? a team that was constructed this year ? what resume do they have ? pp and kg have championship experience grant it. But d.will ? joe johnson? both are under achievers, brook lopez is out all together.

I dont buy it.

smith&wesson
04-09-2014, 03:53 PM
I personally don't think any team can touch Miami anyways, and I do see the logic in hyping Brooklyn and Chicago, but as a surprise team that 95% of NBA watchers predicted would go into the ******* after trading Gay and tank for Wiggins, it's pretty shocking that Toronto is a 3 seed atm. They should be getting more pub IMO but it is what it is...

I prefere it that way, atleast they can suprise some teams in the post season.. flying under the radar..

1-800-STFU
04-09-2014, 03:54 PM

It's Canada, so no one really cares

TheIlladelph16
04-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Nah man, they are tanking for Wiggins remember?

Vampirate
04-09-2014, 06:40 PM
It's Canada, so no one really cares

Well, except Canada.

Jamiecballer
04-09-2014, 06:44 PM

When they've been one of the top teams in basketball (both in wins and statistical analysis) for the bulk of the season - plenty IMO.

Jamiecballer
04-09-2014, 06:46 PM

I thought a teams resume was its performance.

albertajaysfan
04-09-2014, 06:56 PM

Jamie cmon now why did you come in here and go all logical on us. Sports are the one instance where men can be ridiculously emotional and bias and it is perfectly acceptable.

So obviously every American fan can ridicule the Raptors because they aren't American therefor it is totally acceptable.

In all seriousness though the Raps are going to be a tougher out than the average fan realizes. Are they going to win a championship, highly unlikely. Like just this side of impossible unlikely.

Will they be a part of at least one really entertaining and hard fought series, most definitely. Which is why all Raptor fans should be excited about watching this team finally play some playoff ball.

SluggeR
04-09-2014, 06:59 PM
The Raptors are probably the league's best kept secret. I don't think they have been televised one time nationally. The Raps wanted to be part of the tank-committee, but had to evaluate if their competitiveness was because of the poor play of the east or because of the talent the Raptors have pieced together. I think the playoffs will go along way in building momentum in regards to making the Raps into a viable team in the league. If the Raps ball hard in the playoffs and if Drake gets as much camera time as I think he will get by coming to the Raps games, Toronto is on their way to returning to being a relevant team in the NBA. Lets be real, the Raps have not been relevant before or since Vince Carter put that franchise on his back..

archdevil84
04-09-2014, 07:08 PM
if the heat somehow fall to the nets or something and the pacers keep struggling like they are now the raptors have a real solid chance to actually reach the finals

1-800-STFU
04-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Well, except Canada.

To be fair, can Canadians even be called people? I thought figured them to be maple syrup chugging hockey fanatics

Raps08-09 Champ
04-10-2014, 10:44 AM
I loled at the poll.

KnicksorBust
04-10-2014, 11:15 AM

I agree.

resume ? the bulls are with out deng, rose, etc. they dont have the same team they have had in years prior. what resume does augustine, butler, have ? Noah and boozers resume gets them all the respect ? hmm.. weird.

Brooklyn ? a team that was constructed this year ? what resume do they have ? pp and kg have championship experience grant it. But d.will ? joe johnson? both are under achievers, brook lopez is out all together.

I dont buy it.

First of all, you ignore the resume that Tom Thibodeau has put together. He created the defensive scheme that won a ring in 2008 for Boston and then immediately won Coach of the Year his first year with the Bulls. He knows how to win. Throw in Noah/Boozer and that team knows how to be a #1 seed, knows how to advance in the playoffs. That's a resume.

In regards to the Nets, they have an abundance of veteran players with championship pedigrees who know how to win in the playoffs. Pierce/KG/Ray meshed so well together that they won the chip their first season. Even their coach Jason Kidd is proving to be a quick study and he knows just as well as them how to win playoff series.

Who on the Raptors even sniffs those resumes? None of your starters have ever started a playoff game and 3 of them have never even played in a playoff game.

If that were true then the Thunder would have a chip by now. But no, historically it takes teams a few years to develop chemistry and reach their potential. Same thing was true of the Bulls-Pistons-Jazz-Pistons (again)-Lakers-Mavericks-Heat.

Modern examples: Grizzlies, Pacers, Blazers, Thunder

Miltstar
04-10-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm not gonna come in here and say we're gonna dominate the playoffs, but we have as good of chance as anyone not named the Heat in the East. The one thing I can guarentee for you is you'll see some exciting basketball. These kids have heart, it's gonna come down to Lowry making or missing some clutch shots

mdm692
04-10-2014, 12:45 PM
So far I have the 2nd round as Miami vs Chicago and Washington vs Toronto. Yes I see Miami regaining the #1 seed and yes I have Washington taking out Indiana. Gotta mix it up a bit and throw in an upset.