PDA

View Full Version : Are the Nets the team to beat in the east?

JasonJohnHorn
04-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Since January, no team in the east has won more games than the Nets.

Despite their troubling start, the Nets are playing at a higher level than any other team in the east, even if end up 5th overall and fail to secure either homecourt advantage, or a division title.

Given their level of play, are they the team to beat in the east now? Do they have a legit chance at getting to the finals?

koreancabbage
04-09-2014, 10:55 AM
no. but they are a dangerous team nonetheless.

mightybosstone
04-09-2014, 11:01 AM
No. They are a dangerous team in the East, but they're still facing an uphill battle, and will have to win on the road in every single playoff series barring some miraculous upsets. It's worth noting that Brooklyn is 2-2 against Toronto and 1-2 against Chicago, so neither potential first round matchup will be a cakewalk. Also, they're 0-4 against the Pacers, should they get Indiana in the second round instead of Miami.

So, basically, if we use the same logic everyone is using right now for the Nets' sweep of the Heat, Brooklyn's odds aren't good to make the conference finals. Then again, I think regular season logic means very little when it comes to the playoffs. I'd still bet on the Heat over Brooklyn in a seven-game series, and I wouldn't think twice about it.

IndyRealist
04-09-2014, 12:10 PM
The Nets are also playing REALLY small with Pierce at PF. They are really thin up front and a team like the Raptors have a ton of big men to throw at them. Foul trouble for Pierce or Plumlee would be really, really bad for the Nets.

3Blueforyou
04-09-2014, 12:11 PM
No. They are a dangerous team in the East, but they're still facing an uphill battle, and will have to win on the road in every single playoff series barring some miraculous upsets. It's worth noting that Brooklyn is 2-2 against Toronto and 1-2 against Chicago, so neither potential first round matchup will be a cakewalk. Also, they're 0-4 against the Pacers, should they get Indiana in the second round instead of Miami.

So, basically, if we use the same logic everyone is using right now for the Nets' sweep of the Heat, Brooklyn's odds aren't good to make the conference finals. Then again, I think regular season logic means very little when it comes to the playoffs. I'd still bet on the Heat over Brooklyn in a seven-game series, and I wouldn't think twice about it.

If I am not mistaken the raps are 2-1 vs Brooklyn in 2014. The one loss for the raps I think Brooklyn shot a stupid % from three in the second half. Which included joe Johnson hitting 4 or 5 threes in a row(not exactly something that happens too often). This all to win by three, the only thing that scares me about that team is experience compared to my raps. I'm saying all this both of these teams I don't feel will have a good chance to win the east, nevermind be considered the team to beat.

Miami will handle Brooklyn in the playoff should they meet.

leprechaun5
04-09-2014, 12:17 PM
If I am not mistaken the raps are 2-1 vs Brooklyn in 2014. The one loss for the raps I think Brooklyn shot a stupid % from three in the second half. Which included joe Johnson hitting 4 or 5 threes in a row(not exactly something that happens too often). This all to win by three, the only thing that scares me about that team is experience compared to my raps. I'm saying all this both of these teams I don't feel will have a good chance to win the east, nevermind be considered the team to beat.

Miami will handle Brooklyn in the playoff should they meet.

Brooklyn are 2-2 (3 out of 4 games being the 2nd night of a back-to-back) with Raps this year and they gave one to the raptors at home with a horrible turnover .With all due respect to the Raptors they don't have enough to beat the Nets .

If KG can stay healthy and play 25-30 minutes in playoffs ,the Heat are going to sweat a lot if they want to go the finals .( I don't see Indiana fixing their problems ,they can even lose to bobcats in first round if they don't find a way to score )

smiddy012
04-09-2014, 01:43 PM
I can see why Heat fans may consider threads like these naive, if not disrespectful. Cuz anybody who's watched the East the last three years might as well hand the ECT to Miami. I think people are undervaluing Lebron's playoff impact here, not to mention the chemistry his team has developed.

And when playoffs come, Lebron brings out every weapon. Lebron opens his game, and range, up - because in the regular season he sticks to his most (especially) efficient offense.

Lebron is a different beast in the playoffs than in regular season games. Using regular season games as a measure for Miami's capabilities in a playoff series has proven of little, if any, value the past three seasons.

North Yorker
04-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Brooklyn are 2-2 (3 out of 4 games being the 2nd night of a back-to-back) with Raps this year and they gave one to the raptors at home with a horrible turnover .With all due respect to the Raptors they don't have enough to beat the Nets .

If KG can stay healthy and play 25-30 minutes in playoffs ,the Heat are going to sweat a lot if they want to go the finals .( I don't see Indiana fixing their problems ,they can even lose to bobcats in first round if they don't find a way to score )

That's barely a legitimate excuse when you guys were at home and DeRozan wasn't even playing that game.

FriedTofuz
04-09-2014, 01:56 PM
go home homer, you're drunk.

Nets fans continue to make excuses for that play with deron fumbling a pass, well the raptors were without derozan and this was a home game for the nets. ANy other excuses?

TylerSL
04-09-2014, 02:14 PM
They are the Bulls/Celtics in 2011. Beat us in the regular season but will find out who truly is on top in the playoffs.

ohreally
04-09-2014, 11:01 PM

Well, most of their games against the Raps have come on the tail end of back to backs, and they haven't been good with those overall. Chicago is tough, but I think Plumlee helps, and if they continue to play defense they should (not at all saucing they would) be able to beat Chicago. Indiana? Their heads are screwed right now, so it remains to be seen. Discord has a huge effect on team D, and if team D suffers a defensive center becomes much less effective--that and their always sporadic offense????

Toxeryll
04-09-2014, 11:16 PM
nah, id still bet on the heat against them

Mile High Champ
04-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Nets are not even top 4 in the conference and won't have any home court advantage in the playoffs. How on earth can they be called the favorites? Come on MAN!

monty77
04-10-2014, 10:19 AM
As Bulls' fan I am, I must recognize they scary me because they have found the right way. They play like a good team since they missed Brook Lopez for remainder of season. Maybe they had too many scorers and there were too many players who demanded more the ball, or maybe Jason Kidd has improved as coach, maybe some lineup changes were well, I don't know.

Marcus Thornton have been a good acquisition because he performs the score rol better than Terry. Plumlee is playing a solid defense as rookie, due to Brook Lopez's and Garnett's injuries. Blatche and Teletovic are playing better than ever, they both are quality players, with long range-shot taking into account both of them are PF.

That being said, players such as Garnett and Kirilenko could improve the team, but they won't make a difference because the adove-mentioned players have proved their value and Jason Kidd will have to share the minutes properly from now on. This is a hard issue in my opinion.

However, they have a limited ceiling this year. They might be able to overpass the first round in the east if they play against Bulls or Toronto. It would be more difficult against Chicago, they would need about 6 or 7 game at least. Bulls and Toronto have won almost the same games than Nets since January, so there is no reason to think they are favorites, more so given they would play the 7th game away.

It is imposible to get over Pacers or Heat, just forget this. They play a great defense and have great players who Nets cannot stop. If Garnett play very well and defense Hibbert and Bosh respectably, they could reach 5 or even 6 games in the semifinals, but anything else.

KG21
04-10-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm big KG fan. And I'm rooting for BK, that said they are clowns. How can you beat miami and lose to Orlando. They are not serious team if you ask me so only team's to beat on the E are Indy, Chicago and Miami.

mjt20mik
04-10-2014, 11:03 AM
No. Miami is the TEAM to beat in the East.

Whatever BK has done so far is great for them. Playoffs are another monster. Even if you look at last year's BK team, they lost in the first round.

BALLER R
04-10-2014, 11:09 AM

Are you talking about the game where the raptors called out the play you guys were going to run and then they stole the inbound pass?

KnicksorBust
04-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Nets are not even top 4 in the conference and won't have any home court advantage in the playoffs. How on earth can they be called the favorites? Come on MAN!

I agree with this goon. It's a safer bet that the Nets will lose in round 1 than advance to the Finals...

IversonIsKrazy
04-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Nets will be first round exits against Bulls.

BHF
04-10-2014, 02:07 PM
I have a feeling the nets will play my raps in the first round and beat them.

justinnum1
04-10-2014, 02:17 PM
No.

KnickaBocka.44
04-10-2014, 02:50 PM

This.

/thread

todu82
04-10-2014, 02:56 PM
No, they probably win a round but I can't see them getting past Miami in the playoffs.

ohreally
04-10-2014, 10:58 PM
No. Miami is the TEAM to beat in the East.

Whatever BK has done so far is great for them. Playoffs are another monster. Even if you look at last year's BK team, they lost in the first round.

This is not last year's Nets. Chicago will be a test. But if they get past that and face the Heat I would expect a very good series.

NBA_Starter
04-11-2014, 01:05 AM
No but they are dangerous.

imagesrdecievin
04-11-2014, 02:36 AM
No but they are dangerous.

This.

Miami remains the team to beat but every team in the east has to recognize the threat posed by a healthy Nets team that won't face any back-to-backs.

Iron24th
04-11-2014, 03:28 AM
lol the nets being the team to beat in the east, and since when did they earn that???

koreancabbage
04-11-2014, 09:51 AM
lol the nets being the team to beat in the east, and since when did they earn that???

apparently when they the Russian owner bought the Nets.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-11-2014, 10:04 AM
If the Heat don't bring their A game, the Nets could probably give them a scare.

MrfadeawayJB
04-11-2014, 10:07 AM
They are hitting their stride at the right time

Sly Guy
04-11-2014, 12:17 PM
they are a scary match up and a reason why I hope my raps don't give up the 3-spot, but they are NOT favorites. Not any more than anybody 3-8 in the east is a favorite.

waveycrockett
04-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Honestly I dont care what seed I am a fully healthy Nets team come playoff time is going to be tough out for anyone in the East including Miami. Chicago is probably the only team not scared because they are playing with house money right now.

koreancabbage
04-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Honestly I dont care what seed I am a fully healthy Nets team come playoff time is going to be tough out for anyone in the East including Miami. Chicago is probably the only team not scared because they are playing with house money right now.

na, they probably need to HCA in at least one matchup to be considered a serious contender. but without that, maybe second round? I mean they could push for ECF, but every series would be an uphill battle. They are indeed a dangerous team with a team full of veterans - my Raps should not take Brooklyn lightly at all and should be prepared for a dogfight.

pebloemer
04-11-2014, 12:41 PM
The team to beat? That's definitely still the Heat. I think you could make a case to give them the 2nd strongest odds to come out of the East though.

waveycrockett
04-11-2014, 12:43 PM
na, they probably need to HCA in at least one matchup to be considered a serious contender. but without that, maybe second round? I mean they could push for ECF, but every series would be an uphill battle. They are indeed a dangerous team with a team full of veterans - my Raps should not take Brooklyn lightly at all and should be prepared for a dogfight.
For sure. Over the last 3 months this Brooklyn team has slowly adopted the DNA of those Boston Celtics from 2010,2011. When we have a big game the team is all in. Thats why we seem to lose most games to bad teams because for whatever reason the team is on autopilot but come playoff time I think a sleeping giant is going to wake up.

cssdmark
04-11-2014, 01:14 PM
No

ManRam
04-11-2014, 01:18 PM
No

No.

Not sure why so many words have been wasted in this thread when the answer is this simple.

Jamiecballer
04-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Since January, no team in the east has won more games than the Nets.

Despite their troubling start, the Nets are playing at a higher level than any other team in the east, even if end up 5th overall and fail to secure either homecourt advantage, or a division title.

Given their level of play, are they the team to beat in the east now? Do they have a legit chance at getting to the finals?

um. no. i don't see a case for that. in fact i see them precisely where they are now, 5th. they aren't even close to being a top team on either end. they have experience going for them, but i don't see it making a monster difference.