PDA

View Full Version : Omer Asik's rebounding

sunsfan88
04-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Started March 29th against Clippers: 11 rebounds in 35 mins

Started April 1st against Brooklyn: 23 rebounds in 36 minutes

Started April 2nd against Toronto: 15 rebounds in 32 minutes

Started April 4th against OKC: 12 rebounds in 33 minutes

Started April 6th against Denver: 23 rebounds in 43 minutes.

Just ridiculous rebounding numbers from this guy. Easily the best backup in the NBA regardless of position. No wonder he wanted to leave Houston and start somewhere else so badly. God damn Rockets free this man! How lucky is Houston to be able to have a guy like this plug in when Dwight is injured.

I wish the Suns would trade Frye (stretch 4) and a 1st rd pick for him. I'd even deal Plumlee. He would be just what the doctor ordered for the Suns and many other teams.

One thing is for sure, he won't be wearing a Rockets jersey past next season. He will leave and go start somewhere else. He will be a hot candidate in the FA market in the 2015 summer, no doubt.

Not to mention he's good defensively also and isn't that old either (just 27 yrs old).

He's averaging 12 pts on 58% shooting, 18 rebounds, 1 block and 1 steal for the month of April (small sample size obviously but still!).

AddiX
04-07-2014, 06:02 PM
I'll be the first to admit, when hou picked him up, I thought it was a bad love and I didn't get it, I was def wrong.

He looks like just another tall euro bum, but he def is not.

If Knicks/hou do a sign and trade, I want him to come along.

abe_froman
04-07-2014, 06:02 PM
yup,its well know that he's a great defender and rebounder,crap on offensive...but still

he's wasted playing behind howard,the guy should be a starter on a club that only needs that role from the c spot

FOBolous
04-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Houston fans has been saying he's one of the best Centers in the league today for awhile now but no one believed us :shrug: and now you all know why Morey was asking for so much for Asik too. oh well, I'm glad Houston kept him. Him coming off the bench will be an amazing luxury in the playoffs. 42 minutes of elite interior defense anyone?

but regardless, i hope Houston trades him in the summer. He deserves to start, and we STILL need good stretch 4 that can hold his own on defense to complete our starting lineup. Asik/Lin/Jones for Carmelo?

Hawkeye15
04-07-2014, 06:22 PM
he would be an above average starting center for any team because he can rebound and protect the paint. He has ping pong paddle hands on offense, but he is an elite rebounder and defender. Just don't expect much scoring out of him.

torocan
04-07-2014, 06:26 PM
I wish the Suns would trade Frye (stretch 4) and a 1st rd pick for him. I'd even deal Plumlee. He would be just what the doctor ordered for the Suns and many other teams.

Asik on the Suns would be really scary.

Lack of interior defense kills the Suns and Asik was erasing perimeter defensive errors every time he steps on the court over the last 2 seasons for the Rockets. His PnR defense is actually better than Dwight's, and his defensive fundamentals in terms of post defense are better as well.

Not the athlete that Dwight is for sure and he's not really a shot block/alterer like Dwight, but if you took Dwight's offensive scoring out of the mix, it's really close and you might even give the edge to Asik as he's a lot less likely to take himself out of the game due to fouls. Heck, some teams might even prefer a Center that doesn't demand a ton of post touches.

Not to mention, big men generally don't have super long careers, but with the Suns medical staff I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to have him playing 10 years or more...

tr3ymill3r
04-07-2014, 06:41 PM
For everyone at the deadline saying that he is impossible to move and that Morey was being stingy. Well suck it, because come summer time Asik is now the easiest asset to move even if he made $10 million more. Melo, Rondo or another superstar will be joining Houston over the summer all thanks to Asik.

NoahH
04-07-2014, 06:53 PM
I am well aware of Asik's rebounding in the last week as I picked him up in Fantasy Basketball last Monday and rode out his 4 game rebounding bonanza right to the championship ring!

BenFrank
04-07-2014, 07:17 PM
His value was down because of the playing time, but Morey wasn't about to give a center of his caliber away for free, so I'm happy we kept him.. but when that sweet deal come's alone, he will be moved

slashsnake
04-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Guy can board... Reminds me of Danny Fortson in that way (MUCH better overall defender though). Any time you can lead the league in offensive boards despite playing just 28 minutes a game is amazing.

Asik's better
04-07-2014, 07:41 PM
As much as it will be sad to see Asik go, I can't wait to see what DM gets for him in return.

P&GRealist
04-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Nash to Houston for Asik

Lakers need a defensive anchor big man going forward.

Nash can rot with Dwight there.

Asik's better
04-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Nash to Houston for Asik

Lakers need a defensive anchor big man going forward.

Nash can rot with Dwight there.
Your a little ball of bitterness aren't you.

archdevil84
04-07-2014, 08:19 PM
i'm just beggin for this guy to come to miami. would be such a great fit for the heat. rebounding and post/paint defense, exactly what miami lacks..

P&GRealist
04-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Your a little ball of bitterness aren't you.

You're

FOBolous
04-07-2014, 09:17 PM
You're

I take that as a yes.

Asik's better
04-07-2014, 09:23 PM
You're
Little ball of bitterness

sunsfan88
04-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Houston fans has been saying he's one of the best Centers in the league today for awhile now but no one believed us :shrug: and now you all know why Morey was asking for so much for Asik too. oh well, I'm glad Houston kept him. Him coming off the bench will be an amazing luxury in the playoffs. 42 minutes of elite interior defense anyone?

but regardless, i hope Houston trades him in the summer. He deserves to start, and we STILL need good stretch 4 that can hold his own on defense to complete our starting lineup. Asik/Lin/Jones for Carmelo?

Forget Melo, take Frye at a much cheaper price instead! Plus Frye won't ball hog and is taller. You can also keep Jones and Lin in that scenario ;)

Frye was good the last time he played with a good interior scorer.

Asik's better
04-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Forget Melo, take Frye at a much cheaper price instead! Plus Frye won't ball hog and is taller. You can also keep Jones and Lin in that scenario ;)

Frye was good the last time he played with a good interior scorer.
As a rockets fan, I'm more interested in tucker, perimeter defense is our number 1 problem.

sunsfan88
04-07-2014, 09:47 PM
As a rockets fan, I'm more interested in tucker, perimeter defense is our number 1 problem.

Don't y'all have Parsons and Beverly though?

Asik's better
04-07-2014, 10:01 PM
Don't y'all have Parsons and Beverly though?
Our bench d sucks so much and parsons hasn't improved. The rockets don't need fry as much as they did at the start of the season. Jones and Dmo's improvement have filled that need. Perimeter defense is the hole that the rockets need to fill.

DallasTrilla23
04-07-2014, 10:10 PM
I am well aware of Asik's rebounding in the last week as I picked him up in Fantasy Basketball last Monday and rode out his 4 game rebounding bonanza right to the championship ring!

Same here bruh!

mightybosstone
04-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Asik was second in the league last season in TRB% and would be fourth in the league this season if he qualified. The dude is no joke. Couple that with his stifling defense, and he's unquestionably an above average center in this league. Morey was smart not to sell him off for pennies on the dollar when his value was low at the trade deadline. He brings far more value to this team on the rotation than the players he would have brought back in that deal.

Now that teams have seen this was not fluke, Houston should be able to deal him for a nice piece or two in the offseason or include him in a deal for a much bigger piece.

smiddy012
04-07-2014, 10:39 PM

Fwiw, many Bulls fans were quite aware that he was an elite defending and rebounding center, long before he left for Houston. Kid just needs a starting gig.

tr3ymill3r
04-07-2014, 11:30 PM
I think it will be either Melo or Rondo. Lin, Jones and picks perhaps even Parsons too along with Asik.

mightybosstone
04-07-2014, 11:56 PM
I think it will be either Melo or Rondo. Lin, Jones and picks perhaps even Parsons too along with Asik.

Rondo isn't worth remotely close to that. He's been atrocious this year. I wouldn't trade Parsons for him straight up. Hell, I probably wouldn't trade Jones for him straight up. He's seriously been awful and he's a horrible fit in Houston.

Hawkeye15
04-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Rondo isn't worth remotely close to that. He's been atrocious this year. I wouldn't trade Parsons for him straight up. Hell, I probably wouldn't trade Jones for him straight up. He's seriously been awful and he's a horrible fit in Houston.

omg thank you. How on earth does Rondo help Houston? He is absolutely a terrible fit.

ewing
04-08-2014, 12:04 AM
i'm just beggin for this guy to come to miami. would be such a great fit for the heat. rebounding and post/paint defense, exactly what miami lacks..

that wouldn't be fair at all. No way Houston sends this guy to the Heat

sunsfan88
04-08-2014, 12:09 AM
I don't think the Rockets can get anything that big for Asik simply because he is on an expiring contract and he's made of clear he doesn't want to stay in Houston so he will leave afterwards even if they keep him.

They don't have much leverage. They can either keep him and lose him for nothing in a year or trade him for whatever they can get.

Phoenix got Washington's lotto protected 1st for Gortat in this same scenario. Gortat's a lot better offensively but Asik's better defensively & rebounding wise.

So I think at best, Houston will probably get something in the range of a lotto protected 1st or something equivalent to that.

mightybosstone
04-08-2014, 12:13 AM
that wouldn't be fair at all. No way Houston sends this guy to the Heat

Yeah, I just don't see this happening either. Asik is actually a perfect fit for Miami in pretty much every sense of the word. He would fix their two biggest holes (rebounding and interior defense) in a heartbeat, and he would fit in that offense like a glove with Bosh on the perimeter. But I just don't see what Miami has to offer Houston. I like Chalmers, but he's basically a less effective Patrick Beverley, and he'll be a free agent after this season. Anderson would be a good piece in that deal, but they need to add another $6 million in there to make that deal work.

mightybosstone
04-08-2014, 12:19 AM
I don't think the Rockets can get anything that big for Asik simply because he is on an expiring contract and he's made of clear he doesn't want to stay in Houston so he will leave afterwards even if they keep him.

They don't have much leverage. They can either keep him and lose him for nothing in a year or trade him for whatever they can get.

Phoenix got Washington's lotto protected 1st for Gortat in this same scenario. Gortat's a lot better offensively but Asik's better defensively & rebounding wise.

So I think at best, Houston will probably get something in the range of a lotto protected 1st or something equivalent to that.

This is true, but Houston could also package Asik in a bigger deal for a better player. Something like Lin, Asik, Jones and a first rounder for Melo.

sunsfan88
04-08-2014, 12:26 AM
This is true, but Houston could also package Asik in a bigger deal for a better player. Something like Lin, Asik, Jones and a first rounder for Melo.

I personally don't see Melo as a good fit next to Harden and I don't see Phil Jackson trading him away. I think Melo will resign & stay in NYK.

Selfishly as a Suns fan, I would love to see the Rockets with Melo, Harden & Dwight cause I expect all 3 to complain about touches and ruin the team chemistry. But I just don't see it happening.

FOBolous
04-08-2014, 12:28 AM
I personally don't see Melo as a good fit next to Harden and I don't see Phil Jackson trading him away. I think Melo will resign & stay in NYK.

Selfishly as a Suns fan, I would love to see the Rockets with Melo, Harden & Dwight cause I expect all 3 to complain about touches and ruin the team chemistry. But I just don't see it happening.

I think melo may be tired of losing and will be willing to do what's necessary to win.

All-In
04-08-2014, 12:51 AM
According to Amin Elhassan, Asik is one of the best screen setters in the game too….which is a very valuable offensive asset…they create space and make the defense scramble if done right…he uses Vantage Sports which is like player-tracking to determine, screen frequency, Screen outcome and Screen quality…I think setting a good screen is a very underrated asset…Asik’s good defense, rebounding and the ability to set efficient screen’s make him a good piece for any team who wants to contend for a chip

Hawkeye15
04-08-2014, 12:58 AM
According to Amin Elhassan, Asik is one of the best screen setters in the game too….which is a very valuable offensive asset…they create space and make the defense scramble if done right…he uses Vantage Sports which is like player-tracking to determine, screen frequency, Screen outcome and Screen quality…I think setting a good screen is a very underrated asset…Asik’s good defense, rebounding and the ability to set efficient screen’s make him a good piece for any team who wants to contend for a chip

haha, you know other guys hate playing you when your scouting report says:

Sets good picks
Sweats a lot
Looks like Judge Reinhold

FlashBolt
04-08-2014, 01:01 AM
Miami should look into this. Bosh for Asik or something. Completely helps both teams. Would love for OKC to do this but it seems they love them some Perky..

Hawkeye15
04-08-2014, 01:12 AM
Miami should look into this. Bosh for Asik or something. Completely helps both teams. Would love for OKC to do this but it seems they love them some Perky..

not a bad idea, the Miami trade.

As for OKC, they need to stick to MBT's trade. Rubio/Pek/Shved/2nd rounder for Westbrook/Perkins.

FlashBolt
04-08-2014, 01:19 AM
not a bad idea, the Miami trade.

As for OKC, they need to stick to MBT's trade. Rubio/Pek/Shved/2nd rounder for Westbrook/Perkins.

No thanks lol. Pek is good but the thought of Westbrook being gone for the likes of Rubio is making me cringe. Throw Kevin Love instead of Pek and we might reconsider.

arlubas
04-08-2014, 08:04 AM
This situation reminds me of Orlando when they had Gortat backing up Dwight, when it was obvious he was a decent starting C in his own right. What is it with Dwight's backups though, he seems to get the best of them on his teams.

rockets-fan
04-08-2014, 11:34 AM
This situation reminds me of Orlando when they had Gortat backing up Dwight, when it was obvious he was a decent starting C in his own right. What is it with Dwight's backups though, he seems to get the best of them on his teams.

Well he was a starter here last year prior to Dwight haha so it's just a coincidence

FlashBolt
04-08-2014, 12:24 PM

Except LAL.

sunsfan88
04-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Except LAL.

Jordan Hill's pretty good.

mightybosstone
04-08-2014, 04:20 PM

Sets good picks
Sweats a lot

"Mock Trial with O. Asik" has a nice ring to it. That needs to happen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaK_FgrIlYY

Hawkeye15
04-08-2014, 04:25 PM
"Mock Trial with O. Asik" has a nice ring to it. That needs to happen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaK_FgrIlYY

god I loved that show

All-In
04-08-2014, 04:35 PM

Sets good picks
Sweats a lot
A Judge Reinhold and an Arrested Development reference….greatest thread ever

MonroeFAN
04-08-2014, 04:40 PM
You're