PDA

View Full Version : Kevin durant breaks MJ's record.

jerellh528
04-07-2014, 01:51 PM
25+ points in 41 consecutive games, and counting. The most since the dawn of the 3 pointer era. Congrats kd! How long will he continue this amazing scoring tear?
http://nba.si.com/2014/04/07/kevin-durant-scoring-streak-michael-jordan-thunder/

Hawkeye15
04-07-2014, 01:57 PM
he will probably catch Oscar at 46, but no way on earth he is catching Wilt at 80.

Best pure scorer of all time when all is said and done potentially.

torocan
04-07-2014, 02:02 PM
*yawn* wake me up when he hits 60.

It's really kind of an arbitrary benchmark. It's like getting worked up over the man to run the 3rd fastest 100m dash... it's nice and all, but really?

Rentzias
04-07-2014, 02:04 PM
he will probably catch Oscar at 46, but no way on earth he is catching Wilt at 80.

The efficiency of his scoring during his 40 streak vs Jordan's is pretty incredible.

FraziersKnicks
04-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Amazing run by KD but it's not really breaking a record when two other players have had longer streaks...

Hawkeye15
04-07-2014, 02:09 PM

It's really kind of an arbitrary benchmark. It's like getting worked up over the man to run the 3rd fastest 100m dash... it's nice and all, but really?

he has 5 more games to catch Oscar, and can beat him this year. But nobody can touch the 80 by Wilt, the pace isn't high enough to do that. Remember, Wilt played in a track meet era and never sat down. Many of his scoring feats can never be touched.

jerellh528
04-07-2014, 04:14 PM

I think it's pretty amazing. Consider the fact that we've had guys like shaq, tmac, Kobe, Lebron, iverson come through the league and not do this. The only 2 ahead of him are big O and wilt. It's a pretty awesome thing. Especially considering the eras wilt and oscar played in compared to kd. Also 25 isn't some random arbitrary point total like 22.7 or something like that. It's a legit high point total. The efficiency alone is something else too.

jerellh528
04-07-2014, 04:18 PM

No way he hits 80, also no way anyone ever scores 100 in a game or averages 50ppg in a season. Wilts scoring numbers were just out there, crazy.

RaiderLakersA's
04-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Amazing run by KD but it's not really breaking a record when two other players have had longer streaks...

I always laugh whenever the sports media tries to spin a current era milestone into something unique. The next debate will be whether it was easier for Wilt or KD to accomplish this feat, given the respective eras.

kobe4thewinbang
04-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Let me know when he plays this well in the playoffs.

:eyebrow:

DillyDill
04-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Still an amazing feat, what a machine he is. I guarantee he'll passed Big O

Trwood12
04-07-2014, 05:32 PM

No one will ever catch wilt as a scorer. The man averaged 50 ppg one season...

Trwood12
04-07-2014, 05:33 PM
The crazy thing is, KD is still relatively young.

THE MTL
04-07-2014, 05:59 PM
I dont like alot of Wilt's accomplishments because the game was so primitive back then. First of all, he NEVER had to deal with THREE SECOND in the paint rule so essentially he camped all day while being the tallest man on the court. You put Wilt against those rules along with a zone defense and I guarantee you half his feats goes away

sunsfan88
04-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Kevin Durant on breaking MJ's record:

"I don't care. I wish it would be over".

jerellh528
04-07-2014, 06:12 PM

Lol I don't even wanna score this much. I can't help it, my skills I've refined are too good. :sigh:
Poor kd

torocan
04-07-2014, 06:14 PM
I dont like alot of Wilt's accomplishments because the game was so primitive back then. First of all, he NEVER had to deal with THREE SECOND in the paint rule so essentially he camped all day while being the tallest man on the court. You put Wilt against those rules along with a zone defense and I guarantee you half his feats goes away

Wilt also had to deal with hand checking, 3 and 4 players at a time hanging on him, and no ticky tack fouls. And the 3s rule cut both ways... so could the opposing defenders.

And he really wasn't the tallest man on the court as often as you think. It's a mistake to think that Wilt was a giant among Centers.

Though I do wonder how Durant would do if opposing teams could hand check and you didn't have the 3s defensive rule...

Chrisclover
04-08-2014, 12:12 AM
Too bad his team lost to the Suns

hidalgo
04-08-2014, 08:01 AM
i always saw MJ's 40 games streak as 27 points or more(not 25 or more, because MJ's lowest scoring games in his streak was 3 27 point games), so really that's still intact(27 or more 40 straight games). Durant scored 26 3 times during this streak, MJ set the bar for the streak at 27 points or more. oh well, still a really impressive streak Durant's on, but MJ avg 37.1 ppg that year. bonkers

Munkeysuit
04-08-2014, 08:46 AM
I am happy for Durant, he deserves every bit of all the scoring accolades he has won and will continue to win for many years. Definitely an MVP and already one of the most elite scorers ever to play the game...BUT...he will never stand toe to toe with Lebron James on the same level, and you can quote me on that.

mightybosstone
04-08-2014, 09:47 AM
It's an amazing accomplishment, regardless of how we try to diminish it. But all players are ultimately judged with how they perform in the postseason. With a healthy Westbrook, that Thunder team is good enough to win a title, and I want to see him accomplish that in the next 2-3 years. If he never wins a ring, will that prevent me from ranking him about the 15-20 greatest players to ever play? Certainly not. I'd put Barkley in that range, and he never won a title. But to crack the top 10, you've got to have some postseason hardware, and KD is more than capable of that kind of a career.

He's still insanely young, and he's got another 5-7 years of this level of play if he can stay healthy. It's ridiculous to think of what this kid can achieve.

koreancabbage
04-08-2014, 12:19 PM
I am happy for Durant, he deserves every bit of all the scoring accolades he has won and will continue to win for many years. Definitely an MVP and already one of the most elite scorers ever to play the game...BUT...he will never stand toe to toe with Lebron James on the same level, and you can quote me on that.

:facepalm: until Durant wins a ring. lol

slashsnake
04-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Wilt also had to deal with hand checking, 3 and 4 players at a time hanging on him, and no ticky tack fouls. And the 3s rule cut both ways... so could the opposing defenders.

And he really wasn't the tallest man on the court as often as you think. It's a mistake to think that Wilt was a giant among Centers.

Though I do wonder how Durant would do if opposing teams could hand check and you didn't have the 3s defensive rule...

Wilt was the tallest guy around a LOT. The NBA had 6 guys who were 6'10" or taller when he showed up. One of them weighed over 220 (Swede Halbrock who played 2 years). 2 were 7 footers. There were seasons where wilt was the only guy over 6'9 and 200 lbs on his team.

Compare that to Shaq showing up. He had 102 players over 6'10 and 38 of them over 7 foot.

So to compare, Wilt was about the size of Marc Gasol and Roy Hibbert. In a league where your average center was about the size of Mike Miller or Rudy Gay.

That is a pretty big discrepancy.

JasonJohnHorn
04-08-2014, 08:10 PM
My guess is that if Durant keeps this up, he will pass Mike James as the GOAT.

NBA_Starter
04-08-2014, 08:25 PM
https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1545554_10152317168691100_1585796976_n.jpg

Master Mind
04-08-2014, 08:37 PM

:eyebrow: That's funny cause he damn sure looked like he cared when he stayed in to get that 25 pt mark in that blowout versus the Spurs

NBA_Starter
04-08-2014, 09:17 PM
:eyebrow: That's funny cause he damn sure looked like he cared when he stayed in to get that 25 pt mark in that blowout versus the Spurs

Master Mind knows :)

EL_MACHETE
04-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Congratulations KD!

I got mad Respect for you

DetroitBadBoy
04-08-2014, 09:58 PM
The Slim Reaper is a straight killer on the court and might just be the best scorer of all time when it's said and done.

Bruno
04-08-2014, 11:24 PM
:clap:

CavaliersFTW
04-08-2014, 11:29 PM

Wilt's record is actually 106, he had 80 in one season (the entire season) but the streak went on after that

Jeffy25
04-08-2014, 11:47 PM
It's funny that the last time he didn't score 25 is because he scored 21 in 27 minutes against the Celtics and they were so far up, that he sat lol....it's not like he just had a bad night

Anyway
these 41 games....here are his numbers vs Jordan:
Durant: Age 25, 32.1 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 5.6 APG, 1.3 SPG, 50.8 FG%, 40.9 3P%, 30.4 PER
Jordan: Age 23, 37.1 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 4.6 APG, 2.9 SPG, 48.2 FG%, 18.2 3P%, 29.8 PER

TheNumber37
04-09-2014, 12:14 AM
The Streak will break. He has 23 and they are up 20 in Sacramento with 4 mins to go.

beyourself
04-09-2014, 12:23 AM
It's kind of funny because the only people that cared about the streak was ESPN and the fans who watch ESPN. They fabricated a story out of nothing and an arbitrary number. Just completely cut off the fact that Chamberlain has the record and tried pumping up MJ and Durant.

But the streak itself is meaningless. Both the game before the streak started and the game the streak ended KD only played 27 and 31 minutes. Due to blowouts. It gives us no indication of how he plays.

And he usually shoots less against the lesser opponents because he knows they're just gonna kick their butt anyways and lets his teammates get involved more than himself.

THE MTL
04-09-2014, 11:02 AM

Wilt Chamberlain was 7'1"- 7'2". There arent many guys in the league TODAY who are a LEGIT over 7ft (no shoes). So you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. And that other poster explained how there were only 10 guys over 6'9" a few years when Wilt played.

Also, hand checking??? That is a concern for a guard or small forward. But Wilt simply was given the ball in the post and scored. No hand checking involved.

Plus, just use common sense. You have a player averaging 50ppg or scoring 100pts, etc. etc. Clearly no adjustments were made or COULD BE MADE on defense. I would love to see Shaq play back in 60s/70s. He would be equally as dominant.

If you think about Wilt is NEVER included in a GOAT discussion. Its mostly Bird, Magic, Jordan, Kareem, Lebron. And there is a reason why Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem are more often mentioned in the greatest centers of all time discussion when compared to Wilt.

Wilt Chamberlain was simply someone AHEAD of his time in terms of height and athleticism, but let him play a decade later with Ewing, Kareem, Hakeem, Parish, Moses etc and you'll see ALOT of his feats evaporate! Dont get me wrong he would still be a HOF, one of the best centers ever, with incredible stats.

But I'll take KD's 42 game streak cause of the immense amount of skills (shooting, getting to the rim, inside-out scoring, three pt shooting, midrange, modernized defense, etc) it involved as opposed to Chamberlain's 80 game streak cause he essentially camped all day.

ztilzer31
04-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Should of been the Sonics :(. We miss you KD! Congrats.

Really want to see Heat vs OKC rematch this year.