PDA

View Full Version : Do the Knicks have any excuse to miss the playoffs?

beasted86
04-06-2014, 10:51 AM
I was talking to a friend about this and he says the Knicks have had injuries and Carmelo's teammates suck and aren't really that good enough, and because of that it kind of wasn't expected they would make the playoffs. To me that's probably one of the worst excuses I've heard. So I just wanted to ask PSD if they thought there were any fair excuses as to why the Knicks would miss the playoffs this year, considering how weak the bottom of the East conference is?

My take on it is if you are to use the injury and teammate excuse would be to say that Atlanta despite losing Al Horford for the majority of the year is simply "more talented" than the Knicks. And if that is the case, that alone is enough of a knock directly on Carmelo Anthony saying he isn't an impact player that tips the scales in any team's favor.

sportsfan222
04-06-2014, 11:10 AM
absolutely no excuses.

of course knick fans will make them, but it does not take much to make the playoffs in the east.

the only serious injury they had this year was chandler when he missed 6 weeks at beginning of year, but since he has come back, they knicks have still been a below 500 team.

there superstar player melo has been healthy for most of the year with the exception of missing a few games here and there, and they have gotten a lot more than they could have expected from amare this year, his best production since his 1st year with the knicks in 2010-2011.

im not a knick fan, but im sorry, when u fail to make the playoffs when ur best player stays healthy for the entire year pretty much, and all it takes to make it is 38-39 wins if even that much, which of course translates to an under 500 record, that is downright pathetic not to make the playoffs.

the atlanta hawks lost there best player in al horford, and they had lost 20 of 26 games, yet the knicks still couldnt surpass them.

no excuses for this pathetic franchise.

teams have had a lot more injuries and have performed just fine.

the knicks have more than enough talent as to where they should be at worst a 5 seed in the dreadful east, yet they will most likely lose 46-47 games and miss playoffs.

benzni
04-06-2014, 11:14 AM
just the fact of how bad the east has been, there really is no excuse. I thought they would have finished as a 5-7 seed to be perfectly honest.

therealwd27
04-06-2014, 11:28 AM
They should definitely make the playoffs. My only thing with comparing Hawks and Knicks is that the hawks are a better run organization and better coached.

ManningToTyree
04-06-2014, 11:32 AM
No excuse

Chrisclover
04-06-2014, 11:39 AM
For Phil to be a legendary man who can totally turn things around next season. The worse this year's performance is, the more sensational Phil 's future success is. #sarcasm#

beasted86
04-06-2014, 11:44 AM
They should definitely make the playoffs. My only thing with comparing Hawks and Knicks is that the hawks are a better run organization and better coached.

But the Hawks are playing in the tougher division right now with the HEAT, Wizards, and Bobcats all playing above .500 basketball. Then losing your best player and defensive anchor for the year should be enough to knock them off, but they've still simply been better. And they have a 1st year head coach just to add into the equation.

therealwd27
04-06-2014, 11:54 AM
But the Hawks are playing in the tougher division right now with the HEAT, Wizards, and Bobcats all playing above .500 basketball. Then losing your best player and defensive anchor for the year should be enough to knock them off, but they've still simply been better. And they have a 1st year head coach just to add into the equation.

I agree with everything your saying and you are 100% correct about division, I just feel Danny Ferry and Coach Bud make a huge difference. I think Woodson is horrible and his rotations and schemes have hurt the Knicks. He doesn't have the support of his team, Coach Bud may be a 1st year HC but he's been an assistant to Pop what the last 12 years? Makes a difference to me

blastmasta26
04-06-2014, 11:59 AM
There are excuses to justify why this team has underperformed, but not to this extent.

blahblahyoutoo
04-06-2014, 12:01 PM
What team hasn't had major injuries to key players?
Rose/bulls
Lopez/nets

And this is in the east where 35 wins gets you in!

torocan
04-06-2014, 12:01 PM
I think there are plenty of reasonable explanations for why the Knicks would have a worse record this year than last year's 54 wins.

As for missing the play offs entirely? As long as Melo was healthy and Chandler played a reasonable number of games, there really is no acceptable excuse for missing the play offs in one of the worst Eastern Conferences in recent memory.

Sure, we can dissect what went wrong during the Knicks season, whether it was surgeries (Shumpert, JR Smith), age, coaching, loss of veteran leadership, etc. However to go from 54 wins to not even enough to get the 8th seed?

With Melo putting up 28 PPG? There's just no way to excuse the end result.

JasonJohnHorn
04-06-2014, 12:06 PM
Yes. The Yes. The current president of basketball operations has a very good excuse for not making the playoffs this year. The GM before him decided to trade all their assets away for Melo and then signed JR Smiht. There is no way a team can be expected to make the playoffs with inefficient scorers like that handling the bulk of the scoring duties. And Felton at points? Come on. And Amare didn;t help much.

Mike Woodson should get coach of the year for getting more than 20 wins out of that team, especially considering htat the only guy who could play defense missed a quarter of the season.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-06-2014, 12:50 PM
no

If Melo is that good he could carry any team in the playoffs in this pathetic eastern conference...

beyourself
04-06-2014, 12:53 PM
There is no excuse to miss the NBA playoffs. More than half of the teams make it, the system is a joke so take advantage of it.

Crackadalic
04-06-2014, 01:04 PM
It's game 77 and I still don't know what style of play were suppose to play.

Hawks have a coach who is a pop disciples and implemented a system on ball movement which is why there are 2nd in assist in the east.

I'm not going to really use the injuries excuse since you have teams like the bulls playing top notch basketball.

Chemistry more then anything is very delicate and when a coach has no clue on playing big or small then you are going to confuse players and you will lose games.

Melo stat wise is having a very good year but it showed his lack of resolve when it gets tough. Granted more then half the team was shooting 4% less below their season average but melo hasn't show enough to give a team a boost in morale like a KG.

Melo not being a leader is not good but not bad. Look at D-will and joe Johnson. Can you guys call them leaders when the going gets tough? Yet there team has turn it around because they have leaders to push them through

If the knicks miss the playoffs they deserve it even with every legit excuse in the book

jimm120
04-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Injuries are a part of it, but its MOSTLY how Woodson has handled things.

So, the main reasons:

1 - How Woodson has handled injuries. He allowed JR Smith to play 30+ minutes and hoist 17 shots a game for 2 months. The guy was coming off injury and obviously not right. He has continued to play Felton (Fail Tons) 30+ minutes a game...someone who can't penetrate/shoot/dish. Shumpert, struggle mightily the first 3 months, and he continued giving him too many minutes.

2 - How Woodson's defense worked. He continued to do the whole "switching thing" in which centers and PF's are the SG and PG. The defense has simply been porous. When at least 6 different players from other teams have said, "well, we knew the Knicks would switch this or that" and only 1 player all season praising the switching (The Nets the other day), you know that other teams/coaches/players just have it gameplanned and know what you're gonna do and that its not effecitve.

3 - How Woodson's offensive sets worked. Iso Smith or Iso Melo. Nothing wrong with that if others players at least move around...but they don't. They just stay put.

4 - People getting injured or coming off surgery underperforming. JR Smith was obviously not right for the first 2 months and Jan/Feb were only so-so. End of Feb and March are the months he's been like he used to on offense and defense. Shumpert has been horrible. He's our best defensive player and his defense was very Meh. Tyson was out for around 2 months. And once he's been back, he's played average Tyson, not DPOY or good Tyson.

So, this is the ORDER that I blame things on. And the top 3 are Woodson related. Dolan didn't fire him and this is what's happened. Things never "turned around".

That said, they should have made it.

TheNumber37
04-06-2014, 01:12 PM
there have been so many games that the Knicks should have won, if they'd miss the playoffs it'd be by a game or two. They've lost to Atlanta, Cavs and the Bobcats multiple times

BHF
04-06-2014, 01:15 PM
when u miss a beast like Bargs for most of the season its hard to make the playoffs

slashsnake
04-06-2014, 01:25 PM
when u miss a beast like Bargs for most of the season its hard to make the playoffs

Kinda funny how NY and Toronto's records did a 180 this year... lol

ManRam
04-06-2014, 01:28 PM
The Knicks were definitely due for some regression...most rational fans got that. But even still, there's no excuse that they aren't a 6th-8th seed. We can blame it all on Woodson, but that's probably quite a bit disingenuous. There are plenty of personnel issues on this team.

Crackadalic
04-06-2014, 01:37 PM
The Knicks were definitely due for some regression...most rational fans got that. But even still, there's no excuse that they aren't a 6th-8th seed. We can blame it all on Woodson, but that's probably quite a bit disingenuous. There are plenty of personnel issues on this team.

Bargs is one of them. He flat out destroyed the chemistry early on especially. Since his injury I think late jan we are top 5 in offensive efficiency. We were near the bottom 10 before that

JordansBulls
04-06-2014, 01:41 PM
No excuse to go from a #2 seed seed to out of the playoffs the next year with the same squad.

ManRam
04-06-2014, 01:51 PM
No excuse to go from a #2 seed seed to out of the playoffs the next year with the same squad.

It's not the same squad.

They were SOOOO heavily dependent on the three point shot last year, and it was a huge reason why they had so much offensive success. They've fallen from 1st in attempts and 4th in 3PT% to 14th in attempts and 8th in 3PT%. Losing Kidd, Novak and Copeland and their prowess from three really has hurt, and a lot of people predicted that it would. Even though those guys are just role players, it allowed that offense to really operate in a bizarrely efficient way.

Remember, SCHOENE predicted the Knicks would win only 37 games this year. That was BIG news before the season started. A lot of other projections and smart minds picked out this regression. There were a lot of things they did offensively last year that just weren't sustainable.

SLY WILLIAMS
04-06-2014, 04:51 PM
What the heck happened today? The Knicks come out looking like a playoff team while the Heat were not even trying. I had to leave when the score was like 14-3 or something like that. It looked like the Knicks would have a blowout win because the Heat showed no energy. I'm in shock that the Heat won. That may be the season right there. I think the magic number is now down to around 4.

Asik's better
04-06-2014, 07:15 PM
They need to dump smith, Felton and Woodson. Woodson hasn't coached well. Both Felton and smith are playing bad and are distractions.

SeoulBeatz
04-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Today's game was a perfect example of why this team has struggled. Even when J.R Smith makes 10 threes, they still lose by a significant margin.

The Knicks have too many streaky shooters who are incapable of playing good defense. Even though the efforts there a lot of nights, they just don't have any good perimeter or post defenders outside of Shump and Tyson.

They play too much iso-ball without enough defenders to back up that kind of offensive scheme.

I think it would be wise to let Melo go. Hopefully get some assets for Amare's expiring or let him walk and have some cap space after next season. NYC will always attract big free agents, it's a shame they don't have any picks this year because they could've gotten the rebuild started asap. I just don't know if the knicks F.O is patient enough to go through a couple rebuilding years to get things going.

With arguably the largest basketball market in the world, there's a lot more pressure to get things done quickly.

Chrisclover
04-06-2014, 08:55 PM
There are excuses to justify why this team has underperformed, but not to this extent.

The man in your avatar is about to do some breathtaking moves. Lets wait and see.

sportsfan222
04-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Today's game was a perfect example of why this team has struggled. Even when J.R Smith makes 10 threes, they still lose by a significant margin.

The Knicks have too many streaky shooters who are incapable of playing good defense. Even though the efforts there a lot of nights, they just don't have any good perimeter or post defenders outside of Shump and Tyson.

They play too much iso-ball without enough defenders to back up that kind of offensive scheme.

I think it would be wise to let Melo go. Hopefully get some assets for Amare's expiring or let him walk and have some cap space after next season. NYC will always attract big free agents, it's a shame they don't have any picks this year because they could've gotten the rebuild started asap. I just don't know if the knicks F.O is patient enough to go through a couple rebuilding years to get things going.

With arguably the largest basketball market in the world, there's a lot more pressure to get things done quickly.
ive heard that argument for so long, yet what big time free agents do the knicks have to show for that?

all i heard right before lebron became a free agent with cleveland, was that he will go to the knicks, big city, more money, etc, yet somehow over the past decade plus the knicks have not signed any big time free agent due to playing in nyc.

players are turned off by the knicks because the dolans are awful owners. dont be so sure just because its nyc it will be easy to attract big time guys, because that theory has been proven wrong.

knicks prob wont be good for a very long time. when i say good, i mean like 45 plus wins on a consistent basis.

people think because they have phil jackson that is going to gurantee them success, yet last time i checked, there is no michael jordan walking through the doors anytime soon to rescue phil and the knicks.

knicks are a train wreck and always will be until the dolans sell the team, which is not happening any time in the near future.

Bring The Heat
04-06-2014, 09:16 PM
What the heck happened today? The Knicks come out looking like a playoff team while the Heat were not even trying. I had to leave when the score was like 14-3 or something like that. It looked like the Knicks would have a blowout win because the Heat showed no energy. I'm in shock that the Heat won. That may be the season right there. I think the magic number is now down to around 4.

Lol you obviously haven't watched many heat games to think the Knicks were safe... The Heat usually get off to slow starts and look sluggish then turn it up quickly

IDunknown
04-06-2014, 09:22 PM
ive heard that argument for so long, yet what big time free agents do the knicks have to show for that?

all i heard right before lebron became a free agent with cleveland, was that he will go to the knicks, big city, more money, etc, yet somehow over the past decade plus the knicks have not signed any big time free agent due to playing in nyc.

players are turned off by the knicks because the dolans are awful owners. dont be so sure just because its nyc it will be easy to attract big time guys, because that theory has been proven wrong.

knicks prob wont be good for a very long time. when i say good, i mean like 45 plus wins on a consistent basis.

people think because they have phil jackson that is going to gurantee them success, yet last time i checked, there is no michael jordan walking through the doors anytime soon to rescue phil and the knicks.

knicks are a train wreck and always will be until the dolans sell the team, which is not happening any time in the near future.

The Dolans:laugh2:

Cal827
04-06-2014, 09:56 PM

The curse of the Primo Pasta lol

But to answer the question, nope. The East sucks. Even with a few teams playing better than they were expected to (Toronto, Charlotte, Washington), there are also some terrible, terrible teams in the East. They should be able to get at least 38 wins and sneak in.

Hopefully Jackson fixes things for the loyal fans.

effen5
04-07-2014, 01:55 AM
I had the knicks missing the playoffs and got ridiculed by Knick fans...so I'm not shocked they are missing the playoffs or pretty damn close to it. Their excuse is that they are a jump shooting team and last year they shot out of their minds while this year they struggled (until recently where JR finally woke up)

koreancabbage
04-07-2014, 01:59 AM

coincidence that Bargs is in a Knicks uniform.

effen5
04-07-2014, 02:39 AM
coincidence that Bargs is in a Knicks uniform.

:laugh:

tredigs
04-07-2014, 04:03 AM
It is interesting to think back to the projection threads earlier this season and how badly certain fans were bashed for thinking the Knicks could potentially be even 5+ games worse this season. The ones who saw more regression than that were not even being dignified by a large contingent - simply mocked and ignored.

Well... then there was.

Guppyfighter
04-07-2014, 06:00 AM
People who weren't Knick fans knew they'd be worse, but I can't say most thought this would happen. And Knick fans knew me as the "guy who hates the Knicks."

effen5
04-07-2014, 06:06 AM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?832172-Are-The-Bulls-being-overrated/page68

This thread takes the cake lol. Bulls are overrated by "rep" and the Knicks fans are angry because nobody thinks they'll be a 2 seed in the east this year. Nice thread Captain Moroni....

FYL_McVeezy
04-07-2014, 09:32 AM
No excuses for missing the playoffs. NONE!

cssdmark
04-07-2014, 09:46 AM
No. Chicago had more excuses and they are fighting for the three seed.

AddiX
04-07-2014, 09:51 AM
This is straight troll thread.

FlashBolt
04-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Nope. They ran off enough excuses. It's certainly not Melo's fault but it's pretty much the end of the line for them. They can't even make the playoffs after being the second seed. Injuries play a part in every team so I'm not going to use that excuse just for the NYK.

NYK upcoming games: Raptors, Nets, Bulls, Raptors.

Funny how that works out because those are the teams ahead of them in the East.

Atlanta upcoming games: Pistons, Celtics, Nets, Heat, Bobcats, Bucks.

Knicks would have to win at least 3/4 and hope Hawks lose 5/6 to make it. There is a 1/90 chance that is going to happen.

Cal827
04-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Nope. They ran off enough excuses. It's certainly not Melo's fault but it's pretty much the end of the line for them. They can't even make the playoffs after being the second seed. Injuries play a part in every team so I'm not going to use that excuse just for the NYK.

NYK upcoming games: Raptors, Nets, Bulls, Raptors.

Funny how that works out because those are the teams ahead of them in the East.

Atlanta upcoming games: Pistons, Celtics, Nets, Heat, Bobcats, Bucks.

Knicks would have to win at least 3/4 and hope Hawks lose 5/6 to make it. There is a 1/90 chance that is going to happen.

And with those 3 teams fighting for the division title or the 3-4-5 seeds in the east, I would probably make those odds 1-3000

It's ironic, cause at this point, the Knicks could potentially play spoiler to Toronto and their 3 seed/division title hopes, while at the beginning of the year, I was thinking the opposite when I looked at the schedule lol

Chrisclover
04-07-2014, 10:26 AM
No. Chicago had more excuses and they are fighting for the three seed.

Pride of Chicago.

jimm120
04-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Knicks still got a shot.

Knicks 4-0 Atlanta 2-4
Knicks 3-1 Atlanta 1-5
Knicks 2-2 Atlanta o-6

#DelusionalFan

NYKnickFanatic
04-07-2014, 02:18 PM
We have had our fair share of injuries, just like EVERY OTHER TEAM HAS, so no, we shouldn't have an excuse to miss the playoffs.

We don't deserve to make the playoffs and they way it's looking, we won't.

NYKnickFanatic
04-07-2014, 02:20 PM
People who weren't Knick fans knew they'd be worse, but I can't say most thought this would happen. And Knick fans knew me as the "guy who hates the Knicks."

I didn't expect us to be a second seed again, but I honestly didn't think we would be fighting for the freaking eighth seed. :pity:

Mr. Baller
04-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Yes they have a great excuse. They aren't good at basketball

GiantsSwaGG
04-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Yeah, Carmelo Anthony

KnickNyKnick
04-07-2014, 06:02 PM
cant believe no one saw this as a baiting/trolling thread. but any way,

most of the pre-season predictions by most posters here indicating there would be a huge regression with this team, and barley make or not make the playoffs, were based on Knick hatred pure and simple. Not really knowledgeable assessments.

this season's regression was really unforeseen. its rare for a 2nd seed to drop so far the next season. Everyone is bashing Bargiani, but him going down left us with no realiable 2nd scoring option. But especially Chandler going down for so long. The paint was wide open for a while.

And cant forget Failtons distracton on the gun charges. But i think he would have sucked regardless.

Then the awesome FO failed big time by not making the Lowry trade when it was possible.

Atleast it will be cap heaven after next season, and plenty of expirings for next years deadline.

see you next year, :oldguy:

koreancabbage
04-07-2014, 06:24 PM

most of the pre-season predictions by most posters here indicating there would be a huge regression with this team, and barley make or not make the playoffs, were based on Knick hatred pure and simple. Not really knowledgeable assessments.

this season's regression was really unforeseen. its rare for a 2nd seed to drop so far the next season. Everyone is bashing Bargiani, but him going down left us with no realiable 2nd scoring option. But especially Chandler going down for so long. The paint was wide open for a while.

And cant forget Failtons distracton on the gun charges. But i think he would have sucked regardless.

Then the awesome FO failed big time by not making the Lowry trade when it was possible.

Atleast it will be cap heaven after next season, and plenty of expirings for next years deadline.

simple knowledge lol. you can't keep hitting those three pointers and a godly pace in consecutive seasons. but ya, Knicks overacheived last year big time. its the curse of Bargnani - lets just agree on that lol ;)

blahblahyoutoo
04-07-2014, 08:03 PM
This is straight troll thread.

agreed. everything that shines a negative light on the knicks is a troll thread according to knicks fans.

Jamiecballer
04-07-2014, 08:25 PM

Delusional homer post of the year. There were pretty obvious reasons to expect regression and none of them were as irrational as arbitrarily hating a city.

KnickNyKnick
04-07-2014, 08:41 PM
well then enlighten me on these obvious reasons. trading steve novak? yeah right

CousinsEvansDUO
04-07-2014, 08:43 PM
knicks are garbage, players like jr smith, melo, and amare who chuck a million shots and play no D dont deserve to be NBA players. Kings kill the knicks every time and kings are a lottery team. Also their fans are so terrible and stuck up thats why they dont deserve to make the playoffs.

AddiX
04-07-2014, 08:56 PM
agreed. everything that shines a negative light on the knicks is a troll thread according to knicks fans.

You spend all of your time on psd trolling knicks fans.

Recent studies show internet trolls have a major inferiority complex and incredibly low self esteem. Basically there losers who every community they are a part of, offer absolutely nothing.

There like **** roaches, no one wants them around but there always there, and the only way they can make there presence known is by annoying everyone else. That's what you are to me.

Jamiecballer
04-07-2014, 08:58 PM
well then enlighten me on these obvious reasons. trading steve novak? yeah right
I could but if you are a Knick fan you should remember me arguing with people in your forum at the beginning of the season. Or look for a thread I made in the middle of the off-season titled "are the Knicks really better" or something along those lines.

Most everyone outside of NY said you couldn't shoot like that 2 years in a row and that you had too many high volume low efficiency scorers compared to last season. Basically too many low IQ guys. The brains all left the building.

Guppyfighter
04-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Only Knick fans arguing that replacing high efficient guys with lower efficient guys would keep them at the same spot.

east fb knicks
04-08-2014, 01:03 AM
for missing the playoffs hell no but for our poor play it all boils down to our coach melo has had an mvp type year it's not him I also blame grunwald the bargs trade was :bang: resigning kmart knowing he had a lingering ankle injury:bang: signing jr's bro instead of another pg or big :bang: letting Copeland go resigning prigs instead of going after nate and the list goes on ntm felton is the worst starting pg in the league he can't guard any nba pg matter fact none of our pg's can guard a pg :facepalm:

FlashBolt
04-08-2014, 01:05 AM
Something about the NYK's cheesyness just makes them unwinnable. The way the announcer pronounces "CARMELOOO ANTHOONYY" is so annoying. They seem more interested in spreading MSG than winning. I don't know what's wrong with them in terms of management and especially their players. J.R. Smith turned over a new leaf but there shouldn't be a reason for them to have dealt with that after being expected to become the 3-4th seed.

east fb knicks
04-08-2014, 01:05 AM
knicks are garbage, players like jr smith, melo, and amare who chuck a million shots and play no D dont deserve to be NBA players. Kings kill the knicks every time and kings are a lottery team. Also their fans are so terrible and stuck up thats why they dont deserve to make the playoffs.

great post bro just one question are you changing your username anytime soon evens don't play there anymore:D