PDA

View Full Version : Drummond, first player this century to have 400+ offensive rebounds in a season

MonroeFAN
04-06-2014, 06:31 AM
With how bad Detroit has been this season, watching him play has been a lone bright spot. Congrats young buck.

(you may now start talking smack and calling me a homer).

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2014/04/for_pistons_andre_drummond_a_m.html

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-06-2014, 07:18 AM
easy when Jennings and Smith are throwing bricks all over the court.

But seriously this guy will be the best C in the league soon

Cal827
04-06-2014, 09:06 AM
OP is a Piston fan. I'm a Raptor fan. Might as well start the Baiting again.

JV will be the better of the two :D

All joking aside, good for him. He's been awesome this season. and it's only his second season. He's posted huge improvements across the board, even in his FT percentage lol.

I can definitely see him becoming the best C in the League in the next couple years.

The Pistons front office have to make the right adjustments soon though. Maybe try to S/T Monroe somewhere for a solid guard if they can't hold him, and move Smith to PF.

JasonJohnHorn
04-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Is this an indication of how good a rebounder Drummond is? Or how bad the Pistons are at shooting the ball?

MonroeFAN
04-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Probably a little bit of both.

Regardless, something that hasn't been done since the 90's is a nice personal accomplishment. No comments on him being the best center in the league one day.

JohnStockton
04-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Drummond is amazing on the glass, no doubt, but he will come to miss the days when he had Jennings and Smith putting up so many bricks, or perhaps he won't, because then the team will actually be winning games.

beyourself
04-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Nobody becomes a great center without offensive moves. You can reach Noah like impact, but to reach the next level you need to become a scorer.

Crackadalic
04-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Kid is still so young too. He's 19? Either way he has a bright future

mike_noodles
04-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Funny to me that the PSD board praises this kid, yet if it were Love that did it, he would be called a stat stuffer. Good on him though. I still wish we had drafted him instead of Ross.

ManRam
04-06-2014, 01:35 PM
He leads the league considerably in offensive rebound percentage and Detroit's offense doesn't miss that many shots...middle of the pack. No reason to discredit him much here. It's not like he's getting an absurd amount of minutes either.

Very impressive.

MonroeFAN
04-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Didn't mean to start another Drummond potential topic.

Just acknowledging the effort.

GiantsSwaGG
04-06-2014, 01:45 PM
When Josh and Jennings are your scoters you should have 400 offensive rebounds!

RipCity32
04-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Nobody becomes a great center without offensive moves. You can reach Noah like impact, but to reach the next level you need to become a scorer.

He can still become a 16-20ppg scorer with just more touches. He's already showing great touch near the basket. He will clearly never have a arsenal of offensive moves but when your 6'11 and 280lbs with his soft touch near the basket while being a elite offensive rebounder your still going to score quite a bit down low. If he actually got touches this year instead of the two chuckers not giving up the ball all game then he would already be averaging around 15-16ppg.

nastynice
04-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Congrats to drummond. Really great pick for the pistons, snagged him with what, the 11th pick or something? GREAT value. It'll be exciting to see how he keeps growing and improving. With all the swing and misses with bigs lately (past 15-20 yrs), its nice to see an actual true big look like he will truly develop into a game changer.

*anthony davis too. I'd love to see an era of dominant bigs back in the game, like the 90's.

ManRam
04-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Detroit has missed the 3rd most shots in the league, but he's SOOOOOOOOOO far ahead of everyone else both in raw totals (almost 100 more offensive boards than DAJ) and, again, offensive rebound percentage (something that's independent of shear volume). I think it's quite unfair to chalk this impressive feat off because of the team he's on.

Soo...his offensive rebound % this year is 17.0% (Dalembert is 2nd at 14.4, Robin is 3rd at 13.7), that would would rank 21st best ALL TIME.

It's impressive. Period.

Dude's a stud.

Jamiecballer
04-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Is this an indication of how good a rebounder Drummond is? Or how bad the Pistons are at shooting the ball?

Both. They are hideous shooters and he is a fantastic offensive rebounder.

RipCity32
04-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Detroit has missed the 3rd most shots in the league, but he's SOOOOOOOOOO far ahead of everyone else both in raw totals (almost 100 more offensive boards than DAJ) and, again, offensive rebound percentage (something that's independent of shear volume). I think it's quite unfair to chalk this impressive feat off because of the team he's on.

Soo...his offensive rebound % this year is 17.0% (Dalembert is 2nd at 14.4, Robin is 3rd at 13.7), that would would rank 21st best ALL TIME.

It's impressive. Period.

Dude's a stud.

I'm sure Jennings and Smith have helped out but Drummonds offensive rebounding rate was just as good last year without them as well in limited minutes though.

Sadds The Gr8
04-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Funny to me that the PSD board praises this kid, yet if it were Love that did it, he would be called a stat stuffer. Good on him though. I still wish we had drafted him instead of Ross.

People that call love a stat stuffer are complete morons that don't watch basketball

ManRam
04-06-2014, 02:22 PM
People that call love a stat stuffer are complete morons that don't watch basketball

Basically. There's no reason to worry about what people who say that type of stuff say about anything...

Bruno
04-06-2014, 03:16 PM

both. mainly drummond having a great instinct for the ball.

Hawkeye15
04-06-2014, 03:21 PM

exactly what I was going to say.

That being said, offensive rebounding is very valuable. Drummond was a great pick for Detroit, and is going to be one of the better centers out there. Just work on that FT shooting buddy

N.Carolina King
04-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Drummond is an excellent rebounder, however, the rest of his game is "clumsy", for lack of a better term. Although he's still very young and has the potential to improve, I don't see him ever being anything better than a more athletic Tyson Chandler, which isn't a bad thing.

Honestly, I wish Charlotte would have picked him up instead of MKG, who in my opinion is borderline useless and not even remotely worthy of the 2nd pick.

Cal827
04-06-2014, 09:25 PM

Well, that or Balkis

MrfadeawayJB
04-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Drummond is solid

TheMightyHumph
04-06-2014, 09:46 PM
With how bad Detroit has been this season, watching him play has been a lone bright spot. Congrats young buck.

(you may now start talking smack and calling me a homer).

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2014/04/for_pistons_andre_drummond_a_m.html

Tell the audience what he wins, Claude.

punkz
04-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Drummond is an excellent rebounder, however, the rest of his game is "clumsy", for lack of a better term. Although he's still very young and has the potential to improve, I don't see him ever being anything better than a more athletic Tyson Chandler, which isn't a bad thing.

Honestly, I wish Charlotte would have picked him up instead of MKG, who in my opinion is borderline useless and not even remotely worthy of the 2nd pick.

MKG is still a solid prospect at age 20 yrs tho. If he can somehow improve his outside shooting, he will become a very solid player in this league.

I am a huge fan of drummond, but talk about an impressive draft, below is the list of 2012 top 9 picks ex thomas robinson at #5
davis, mkg, beal, waiters, lillard, barnes, ross, drummond

koreancabbage
04-06-2014, 10:21 PM
his knack for the ball is amazing. i.e. Ben Wallace or Dennis Rodman sense when it comes to rebounding.

however. his teammates have missed way too many shots. like you said, offensive rebounds. but VERY impressive nonetheless. kudos. (I still wanted the Raps to draft him instead of Ross...less this year after seeing how Ross' potential has me on the edge of my seat and when the Raps decide to run plays for him consistently during the game - Drummond still has the edge for me)

Jeffy25
04-06-2014, 10:35 PM
I want the NBA to have dominant centers again.....and I think Drummond could seriously become a beast.

He gets forgotten for whatever reason, but I like what I've seen :)

JWO35
04-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Just induct him in the HOF now...

DetroitBadBoy
04-07-2014, 12:05 AM
Congrats Dre. His rebounding is truly special and once we lose the selfish identity, his offensive game will flourish.

TheMightyHumph
04-07-2014, 12:07 AM
If Pistons were to become a team that could contend for the playoffs, don't you think the hacking of Drummond would soon follow?

WITZ
04-07-2014, 01:07 AM
If Pistons were to become a team that could contend for the playoffs, don't you think the hacking of Drummond would soon follow?

Considering he is shooting a embarrassing 41% that will definitely become a problem. On the brightside at least he improved from last years 37% :laugh2: so there is a glimmer of hope he can improve. Dudes a hell of a rebounder so :clap: on the achievement.

Jeffy25
04-07-2014, 02:29 AM
holy cow, those FT numbers

effen5
04-07-2014, 02:42 AM
Is there a reason why there are two 400+ rebounders in the same year of 97-98 and there hasn't been 1 400 rebounder in over 15 years?

flclfanman
04-07-2014, 08:51 AM
Makes sense, he has to corral all of Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith's misses :laugh2:

YoungOne
04-07-2014, 09:13 AM
watched the game against my celtics. He looked kinda lazy, desinterested and has very slow feet on defense, but he still crushed our (undersized) frontcourt easily on the boards.
I dont think he is in a good situation in detroit right now.

Chrisclover
04-07-2014, 09:30 AM

Discerning. Lol.

FlashBolt
04-07-2014, 09:41 AM
It's impressive indeed. Especially for someone who is only coming off his first year. He's definitely going to get much better. Detroit needs to find a way to get him more looks and try to convince him to work on some offensive moves. If he can do that, Dwight Howard, step away.

MonroeFAN
04-07-2014, 10:31 AM
watched the game against my celtics. He looked kinda lazy, desinterested and has very slow feet on defense, but he still crushed our (undersized) frontcourt easily on the boards.

Zero idea how a guy who just grabbed more offensive rebounds than anyone in the last 10+ years could be considered lazy.

MonroeFAN
04-07-2014, 10:38 AM

I think that has nothing to do with the topic.

MonroeFAN
04-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Tell the audience what he wins, Claude.

Excuse me?

SPURSFAN1
04-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Easier to get offensive rebounds when you don't run back on defense.

MonroeFAN
04-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Then why hasn't anyone else done it in the last century?

Are all stupid comments made in this topic by international fans?

Deception
04-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Easier to get offensive rebounds when you don't run back on defense.

Drummond has a consistent motor, he plays both ends of the court, so I don't get what your post is referring to.

FOBolous
04-07-2014, 11:32 AM
i think in a year or 2...3 years max...he'll be the best Center in the league.

RipCity32
04-07-2014, 11:36 AM

Yeah sometimes he tends to look disinterested and I can't blame him when his teammates refuse to let him touch the ball, He still put up 19pts and 20rebs against you guys though So now imagine if he was interested lol.

RipCity32
04-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Drummond is averaging 20pts and 18rebs in his last 3 games.

NBA_Starter
04-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Congrats Big Fella, that is very impressive!

DetroitBadBoy
04-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Drummond is averaging 20pts and 18rebs in his last 3 games.

18.3 pts and 17.3 rbs in April. Crazy to think what his stats could look like next season with an off season of improvement. Maybe even playing without Monroe next season, he will gobble up all the boards. He is slacking a bit on D at this point in the season, probably because there's nothing to play for.

RipCity32
04-08-2014, 10:20 PM
18.3 pts and 17.3 rbs in April. Crazy to think what his stats could look like next season with an off season of improvement. Maybe even playing without Monroe next season, he will gobble up all the boards. He is slacking a bit on D at this point in the season, probably because there's nothing to play for.

He does need to work on his defense though. I'm going to blame that on the front office though for putting the kid out there with this lineup and the fact that he's already about to be playing for his 4th coach after this season. They need to get serious about developing him properly.

Oefarmy2005
04-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Speaks volumes about his team missing shots.

MonroeFAN
04-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Safe to assume that Kevin Love's rebounding numbers speak volumes of his team's inability to shoot? Since you guys have a worse FG% on the season?

I love when smug people say stupid crap. Nice sig.

mrblisterdundee
04-09-2014, 07:39 PM

That depends on what kind of "C" you're looking for. DeMarcus Cousins can't play much defense, but he runs circles around Drummond offensively. Drummond could be the best defensive center, unless Joakim Noah has something to say about it.

Shammyguy3
04-09-2014, 09:14 PM
That depends on what kind of "C" you're looking for. DeMarcus Cousins can't play much defense, but he runs circles around Drummond offensively. Drummond could be the best defensive center, unless Joakim Noah has something to say about it.

Or Marc Gasol, Roy Hibbert, Dwight Howard, heck even Andrew Bogut. Drummond has a ways to go defensively to be in the same conversation as those guys, and I personally don't know if he'll make it there in terms of having a total team impact.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-09-2014, 09:21 PM
He'll be the best C in the league in 2 years man.

Tmath
04-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Still sucks defensively and offensively. He can rebound, but he has a ways to go everywhere else.

Phenomenonsense
04-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Tmath is his signature whenever he sees anything Drummond related.

Shammyguy3
04-09-2014, 10:08 PM
He'll be the best C in the league in 2 years man.

he very well could be, but i don't think so. Not in two years at least

joshhorvath
04-09-2014, 10:15 PM
JV is still the better C and will be the better C between the two in the future

Deception
04-09-2014, 11:16 PM

110% JV shoots better free throws for god sakes

deaner
04-10-2014, 02:04 PM
meh, his points come off rebounds and the rebounds come off atrocious team shooting. His line is flawed if you are expecting it to lead to many wins.

RipCity32
04-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Toronto fans stil butt hurt I see, Val better then Drummond Lol.

RipCity32
04-10-2014, 02:29 PM

Except Drummond is basically better then Val at just about everything including being a bigger threat offensively.

Drummond- 13.2ppg (62%fg), 13rpg, 1.6blks, 1.2stls, 2nd in the league in double-doubles with 56, 2nd in the league in rebounding, 2nd in the league in fg%.

Val- 11.2ppg (53%fg), 8.6rpg, 0.9bpg, 0.3stls, 33rd in the league in double doubles with 24, and I don't feel like looking up the rest but I'm sure it's not good.

Drummond is also better than Val in all these stats as well- PER, TS%, eFG%, FTr, ORB%, DRB%, TRB%, STL%, BLK%, TOV%, ORTG, OWS, DWS, WS, WS/48.

YoungOne
04-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Yeah sometimes he tends to look disinterested and I can't blame him when his teammates refuse to let him touch the ball, He still put up 19pts and 20rebs against you guys though So now imagine if he was interested lol.

thats the scary part. most of his points came from offensive rebounds after some bricks of his teammates and to be fair, nobody on the celtics has a chance rebounding against him.
all I'm saying is that he doesnt look like he uses that energy on the boards on other parts of the game.