PDA

View Full Version : Raptors are 38-20 Since the Rudy Gay Trade

FriedTofuz
04-05-2014, 02:18 PM
They're also 2-1 Vs Indiana this Season. I can definitely see them losing to miami in the playoffs but it seems somewhat possible of causing an upset with the way the raptors are matched up against the pacers. Is it really a 2-team race in the east?

xxplayerxx23
04-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Indy has looked beatable the last month+ All depends on who the matchup are first round. Wizards may be tough matchup for raps first round.

MonroeFAN
04-05-2014, 02:21 PM
yes.

Toronto is playing well, happy for them. But they're not beating Indiana. Their slump is overrated.

Kaner
04-05-2014, 02:22 PM
unfortunately I think its more of a 1 team race with the Bulls, Indiana, Nets, and Raptors vying for 2nd

FriedTofuz
04-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Indiana is so disoriented at this point in time, they really have to get it together immediately. There's too much EGO in that locker room. Change doesnt happen over night, it takes time. The raptors will likely finish the season after the rudy gay trade as 42-22. They've beaten western conference teams as well (OKC, HOUSTON, DALLAS, MEMPHIS, Golden state etc)

FriedTofuz
04-05-2014, 02:28 PM
yes.

Toronto is playing well, happy for them. But they're not beating Indiana. Their slump is overrated.

They've lost to some bad teams. they cant win on the road as of late, I dont know if that's overrated

dtmagnet
04-05-2014, 02:29 PM
I don't think any other team is at Miami's level just yet.

LAKobeBryant
04-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Indy has looked beatable the last month+ All depends on who the matchup are first round. Wizards may be tough matchup for raps first round.

rather play wizards than BK though

Jamiecballer
04-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Raptors can totally beat Indiana right now. So can Chicago.

Htownballa1622
04-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Raptors are a very solid team. I like that way they've been built.

torocan
04-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Raptors play with crazy effort every night. That goes a LONG way when you have so many players "mailing it in" some nights.

Not sure how that will translate in the play offs when the better teams start locking in, but I can definitely see them pulling off a few surprises. I wouldn't be shocked at a 2nd round play off exit at all, and only mildly surprised if they made it to the ECF given Indiana's complete implosion.

Cal827
04-05-2014, 03:05 PM
unfortunately I think its more of a 1 team race with the Bulls, Indiana, Nets, and Raptors vying for 2nd

This. I don't think any of the teams have a shot against the Heat now. Thought Indiana would, but this streak and the reports of locker room unrest are extremely concerning. Now, all of them look like Miami would crush them in the ECF. Hell, the Bulls might be the only ones there that can have an extended series with Miami lol

Avenged
04-05-2014, 03:12 PM
No surprise here.

spreadeagle
04-05-2014, 03:53 PM
The raptors depth has been key, all those guys we picked up in the Sac trade have been awesome, all 4 have helped a lot

NoahH
04-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Raptors can knock off Indiana for sure.

Valanciunas took Hibbert to CHURCH yesterday. And Lowry & Amir didnt even play.

As for Miami, I dont think Toronto can beat them in a 7 game series, but depending how the seeding shakes out I could see a TORONTO v. MIAMI east final

Gibby
04-05-2014, 04:27 PM
The first time raptors played the pacer were playing good. Pacers were decent last night, Lance cost the game on a few possessions.

I would give the raps, bulls, and nets a decent shot against the pacers.

spreadeagle
04-05-2014, 05:12 PM
I think Raps will have problems with Bulls and Nets in playoffs, a lot more experience on those 2 teams

IndyRealist
04-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Indiana is starting to look like the November Pacers again. The offense is slowly rounding back into shape, they just have to start clamping down on defense again. Lance is a big problem, he breaks the offense too often and gambles too much on defense. He always tries to make the spectacular play and, more often than not, lets his man blow by him or turns the ball over.

Jamiecballer
04-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Indiana is starting to look like the November Pacers again. The offense is slowly rounding back into shape, they just have to start clamping down on defense again. Lance is a big problem, he breaks the offense too often and gambles too much on defense. He always tries to make the spectacular play and, more often than not, lets his man blow by him or turns the ball over.

I can't believe I argued Stephenson for an all-star appearance earlier. He is way too volatile and seems to be playing for himself lately.

SouthSideRookie
04-05-2014, 06:45 PM
yes.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkdzdnmCQAEoEws.png:large

Sly Guy
04-05-2014, 07:03 PM

I think most raptors fans want washington over chicago or brooklyn. We'd rather play against a team with no playoff experience and a system based around their offense. It's a better matchup for our defensive oriented team, as well as makes the playoff experience a wash on both rosters.

GunFactor187
04-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Haven't been keeping up with the Raptors as much, good to hear they're doing great. Have they been playing Derozan at the 3 and Ross starting at the 2?

North Yorker
04-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Haven't been keeping up with the Raptors as much, good to hear they're doing great. Have they been playing Derozan at the 3 and Ross starting at the 2?

They really don't have set positions. They both play on the wing and Ross guards the better offensive player of the 2.

JasonJohnHorn
04-06-2014, 12:05 AM
If you are looking at records in Jan 1, BK is the team to beat in the east. They easily have the best record since the new year.

Raps are looking good, yes, but they wouldn't even be at .500 in the west.

The Gay trade was good, because having two guys like Gay and DeRozen with Ross backing up just doesn't make sense. They are guys who don't have a very efficient shot, and both like to create and have the ball to score. Take I take the cheaper play in such instances. You need a guy like that on your team, but you don't want two of them.

FriedTofuz
04-06-2014, 12:22 AM
If you are looking at records in Jan 1, BK is the team to beat in the east. They easily have the best record since the new year.

The Gay trade was good, because having two guys like Gay and DeRozen with Ross backing up just doesn't make sense. They are guys who don't have a very efficient shot, and both like to create and have the ball to score. Take I take the cheaper play in such instances. You need a guy like that on your team, but you don't want two of them.

Yes they would, their record against teams in the west is .500.

FriedTofuz
04-06-2014, 12:23 AM
Raptors are the team in the east that has posed problems for the nets. They've upset them on a couple occasions. I could see the raptors handling them in 6-7 games, I just prefer Toronto have it easier and take care of washington in 5.

FlashBolt
04-06-2014, 12:29 AM
Need to watch out for spots 3-5. Brooklyn, Toronto, Bulls. Any of them can cause an upset.

TurboDEEZsmoke
04-06-2014, 01:07 AM
DJ auginstin on the bulls is quite the scoring threat as of late. Bulls and raptors are hot. Lots of playoff experience on the bulls. Brooklyn is sharp too. East has 5 solid teams. Well, indiana is a question mark

North Yorker
04-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Yes they would, their record against teams in the west is .500.

No, they are OVER .500 (16-14) vs the West, and that's including 7 games when Gay was on the team where they went 2-5. So since the Gay trade, they are 14-9 vs the West.

BlueandWhite
04-06-2014, 10:02 AM

Though Brooklyn has the best record, I don't think it's easily the best. I think the raps have 31 and nets have 32 wins since then.

And I don't think people realize how important Vazquez and patterson have been.

LanceUpperCut
04-06-2014, 10:19 AM
The raptors depth has been key, all those guys we picked up in the Sac trade have been awesome, all 4 have helped a lot

Except for Salmons he's played alright defense but other then that he has been horrible.

Jamiecballer
04-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Thank you Sacramento!!

jsumadchat
04-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Proud to see these guys putting in work. 3-1 against WSH in the season series and the 1 loss was a triple OT game where 3 raps fouled out and T-Ross was out with an injury.

Only team in the playoffs starting 2 sophomores and if they can hold on to the 3rd seed, i will be VERY surprised if they lose to the wiz. i can see BK letting WSH pass em for the 5th seed to avoid the bulls, since pretty much every game between the raps and nets has been tightly contested for the most part. would still give it to the raps against them, but their playoff experience scares the crap outta me. but i would want to avoid the bulls at all costs. Noah will NOT go down without any type of a fight.

also, if the raps want to have ANY sort of chance to make it to the ECF, they need to make sure they stay in 3rd. they have no shot against MIA, but then again, who does?

albertajaysfan
04-06-2014, 05:17 PM

How is that statement relevant to this conversation?

Makes no difference how the Raptors would do in the Western Conference because, well they aren't in the Western Conference.

FriedTofuz
04-06-2014, 05:27 PM
The nets arent making it past the 1st round. Chicago will manhandle them. #bye

FriedTofuz
04-06-2014, 05:29 PM
No, they are OVER .500 (16-14) vs the West, and that's including 7 games when Gay was on the team where they went 2-5. So since the Gay trade, they are 14-9 vs the West.

oh really, even better! Thanks for finding out that stat bud. JasonJaonHorn, your statement is invalid based on this.

jsumadchat
04-06-2014, 05:33 PM
oh really, even better! Thanks for finding out that stat bud. JasonJaonHorn, your statement is invalid based on this.

could EASILY be 15-8 if it werent for KD choosing to bestow heartbreak upon them lol.

torocan
04-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Given the Raptors are 14-9 post Rudy Gay trade, I could easily see them as a bubble team in the West. They're young, athletic, play hard and play aggressive defense. And their offense isn't too shabby either.

Would they get the 8th seed? Hard to say, but to say they wouldn't be a .500 team in the West is just silly.

Assuming they re-sign Lowry and manage to retain their young talent, I can easily see them boosting their record next year and becoming a solid HCA team. As for beating Miami? Yah, they still got a ways to go.

pebloemer
04-06-2014, 07:06 PM

A statement for which there is no evidence to support...

They are .500 against Western Conference opponents and far better against Eastern Conference foes. The only .500 Western Conference team (Minnesota) has a .446 record against the West (for reference). If you want to play the easy conference card, at least do it correctly.

cdnsportsfan
04-07-2014, 12:14 PM
It's been an amazingly unexpected season that's been hella fun to watch as a Raps fan! All three of the Bulls, Nets and Wizards would give Toronto a very-good-to-great series, but obviously Raps fans are hoping it's Washington out of those three (if only for the lack of playoff experience). The Bulls have the experience and the D to make a serious run in the playoffs, and this Nets team was not only built for the playoffs but they've come together down the stretch.

If the Raps keep third they also avoid Miami, and even before the massive slump they looked good against Indy (if that's who they play in the second round anyways). I feel that the Raps match up well against both the Bulls and Nets as well, but I'd say they'd go 6 if not 7 against both of those team, and no clue who would take it in the end.

Right now it's clearly Miami's conference to lose, but there's an actual chance this year that the Raps could make a deep playoff run. And given the tank fest predictions that were rampant at the start of the year for the team, it's amazing that this kind of thing could actually be considered!

arlubas
04-07-2014, 04:17 PM
I personally am a fan of Rudy Gay but it ain't random that whenever he leaves a team that team goes on to improve their overall performance. That boxscore ban he pulled while in Toronto didn't really help his case either...

Rockice_8
04-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Raptors are the team in the east that has posed problems for the nets. They've upset them on a couple occasions. I could see the raptors handling them in 6-7 games, I just prefer Toronto have it easier and take care of washington in 5.

Sure they won't go down without a fight, they are a young and hungry team. Still, the Nets are more experienced and play at that playoff pace so I'd give them a slight edge. They are 2-2 vs each other with 1 of TOR wins coming on a bonehead in bounds pass by D-Will with like 8 seconds on the clock.

Toxeryll
04-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Sure they won't go down without a fight, they are a young and hungry team. Still, the Nets are more experienced and play at that playoff pace so I'd give them a slight edge. They are 2-2 vs each other with 1 of TOR wins coming on a bonehead in bounds pass by D-Will with like 8 seconds on the clock.

A win is a win and if I remember correctly, Derozan didnt play in that game.

FriedTofuz
04-08-2014, 12:41 AM

part of being a good player is knowing be make smart plays, it's not the raptors fault that D-will's a dumbo.