PDA

View Full Version : Another Team for Sale soon

mgsports
04-05-2014, 11:37 AM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/04/magic-sale-soon.html They were once rumored to KC but no Owner other then the ones of the 3 Sports Teams here.

NoahH
04-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Good move em to Seattle

ztilzer31
04-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Good move em to Seattle

+1000

I'd rather it be the Bucks though.

5ass
04-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Good move em to Seattle

Keep dreaming.

slaker619
04-05-2014, 12:08 PM
They need more structure I hope new owner can provide that

5ass
04-05-2014, 12:10 PM

Explain.

mgsports
04-05-2014, 12:14 PM
St. Louis? Tampa Bay? San Jose? Pittsburgh? New Jersey? Anaheim? Canada city that also has a NHL team but no NBA one?

ManRam
04-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Why would someone buy the Magic and then relocate them? Best arena in the sport. Plenty profitable, middle of the pack revenue, tons if sponsorship money (most ever this season) and season tickets remained quite strong even for this season (13,000+). The only knock is local TV deal potential as ratings have dipped a bit this season and it's not a HUGE market. But KC isn't going to best that. Home attendance the last two years has been in the top-20 combined, and considering how terrible they've been that's solid. When the team is successful it consistently sold out games...with 100%+ home attendance most every year of the Dwight era.

Hell, Forbes ranked them 15th this year.

Nick O
04-05-2014, 12:18 PM
St. Louis? Tampa Bay? San Jose? Pittsburgh? New Jersey? Anaheim? Canada city that also has a NHL team but no NBA one?

so the other 6 that arent Toronto aha

Ebbs
04-05-2014, 12:34 PM
I'd cream in my pants if Calgary got an NBA team

torocan
04-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Move them to Seattle. Then move Memphis to the East. Heck, there's more than one team that probably shouldn't be in the Western Conference just due to location.

AddiX
04-05-2014, 01:05 PM
These Florida teams never leave no matter how good or and it seems like there doing.

*Superman*
04-05-2014, 01:09 PM
There's no way they are relocated. A comment left on that article.

37 minutes ago

I have a hard time believing this one, without more than what this CSN New England article provides. Rich Devos and family are firmly entrenched in the Orlando community from a financial standpoint, from the RDV Sportsplex to the new Amway Center that cost DeVos $60M out-of-pocket just four years ago. DeVos has also locked in naming rights to the Orlando venue through 2019 (at a cost of $40M) and executed a rent commitment through 2039 (at a cost of $30M, to be paid over 30 years). That's not to say that the team couldn't be sold to another Orlando-area investor, but there is virtually 0% chance the team moves and beyond that, imho virtually 0% chance that DeVos looks to sell in the immediate future. The Magic haven't been on the market since 2002, and since that time DeVos has promoted many members of his own family to paid executive positions within the franchise

*Superman*
04-05-2014, 01:12 PM

What do you even mean, sounds like you're talking out of your ***.

*Superman*
04-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Why would someone buy the Magic and then relocate them? Best arena in the sport. Plenty profitable, middle of the pack revenue, tons if sponsorship money (most ever this season) and season tickets remained quite strong even for this season (13,000+). The only knock is local TV deal potential as ratings have dipped a bit this season and it's not a HUGE market. But KC isn't going to best that. Home attendance the last two years has been in the top-20 combined, and considering how terrible they've been that's solid. When the team is successful it consistently sold out games...with 100%+ home attendance most every year of the Dwight era.

Besides Forbes a few years ago weren't they ranked first in something? I'm forgetting who and what for though..

kingsdelez24
04-05-2014, 01:39 PM

Looool, whats Toronto then?

abe_froman
04-05-2014, 01:49 PM

tampa bay? whats the point? i dont see it as any better a location than where they are now
san jose-is in the warriors maket
new jersey-already in the cross section of ny,brooklyn and 76's territory...talk about over saturation
anehiem-see the problems with nj

being sold i can see,and while i'd love for seattle to get a team,i doubt any of these teams move

mrblisterdundee
04-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Keep dreaming.

It's an easier dream to imagine than the ownership in Orlando doing a decent job. Seriously; they've offered some of the worst contracts I've ever seen to the most underperforming, washed-up superstars. They lose franchise player after franchise player.
Of course, maybe a change in ownership can change that. I would start by asking Scott Skiles to be coach.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
04-05-2014, 02:37 PM
+1000

I'd rather it be the Bucks though.

Bucks aren't moving anywhere. Bucks close to being sold soon. But that's only a minority piece sold locally. Kohl will be majority owner till a new arena is lined up. Which he said he would pitch in a ton before he sells whole team.

ryder78c
04-05-2014, 02:53 PM
It's an easier dream to imagine than the ownership in Orlando doing a decent job. Seriously; they've offered some of the worst contracts I've ever seen to the most underperforming, washed-up superstars. They lose franchise player after franchise player.
Of course, maybe a change in ownership can change that. I would start by asking Scott Skiles to be coach.

They'll have a competitive team next year after they draft one of emiid,Parker,Wiggins,smart

It only takes 35-40 wins to get into the playoffs in the east 2-4years they'll be the pacers now they have a nice team to build with now and cap space

slashsnake
04-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Explain.

I grew up a Magic fan, they are still a team I cheer for (I like Afflalo). I guess I just get tired of the try to stink so bad we get a #1 pick and let him walk as soon as things start to look up and start over method. I get tired of hearing how that player wasn't that good, or had issues, or the team is bigger than the star when they part ways.

If you are sitting in the bottom of the Eastern Conference this year, you really need to look at how you manage your team.

Shlumpledink
04-05-2014, 03:15 PM
With the current cba why would you sell your team? You're guaranteed to be profitable no matter how terrible your team is

Jeffy25
04-05-2014, 03:45 PM

I'd be happy with a NBA team in St. Louis :)

But I think it would take 15-20 years for it to really become popular. I just don't think our market really demands it. Cardinals dominate the St. Louis market, and the Blues get the rest of the attention. Nobody gives a **** about the Rams except for a few hardcore fans.

Jeffy25
04-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Looool, whats Toronto then?

He didn't say there wasn't a Canadian franchise.

He said a Canadian city that has an NHL team without an NBA team....so Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg for examples.

But I don't think any of those cities are ideal.

Goose17
04-05-2014, 03:49 PM
I doubt Magic leaves Orlando.

Goose17
04-05-2014, 03:51 PM
He didn't say there wasn't a Canadian franchise.

He said a Canadian city that has an NHL team without an NBA team....so Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg for examples.

But I don't think any of those cities are ideal.

Calgary would be interesting, Montreal as well.

*Superman*
04-05-2014, 04:10 PM
The DeVos family, which owns the Magic, recently restructured how the ownership of the franchise was divided among the family members.

Although 87-year-old Rich DeVos remains the head of the franchise and the team’s governor, a percentage of the franchise was redistributed evenly to his four children. The restructuring was approved by the NBA’s Board of Governors, a league source said.

Dan DeVos, the Magic’s chairman and one of Rich and Helen DeVos’ sons, said the restructuring was done as an estate planning move.

He also said the restructuring is a sign that his family has no plans to sell the franchise.

“There’s no desire to sell,” he said. “In fact, as time goes on, there’s more engagement by the family at all levels. The second generation, for sure. The third generation is very excited about it. So it’s not a point that’s being discussed.”

Being sold is one thing, which was mentioned in the previous post is unlikely to happen as Rich DeVos has invested so much of his money into the Magic. The other reason is I would like to see them move a $500 million arena...

Someone is just speculating the Bucks and Magic could be available in the future. There is no actual substance to the article or this thread.

slashsnake
04-05-2014, 04:23 PM
With the current cba why would you sell your team? You're guaranteed to be profitable no matter how terrible your team is

He could put 550 million dollars in his pocket instead of a 10-15 mil a year return on his ownership (and according to forbes, his team value has gone up, but his operating income has been in the red on average over the past decade). Remember his team value spiked quite a bit with the Amway arena which he largely didn't fund himself.

He maybe doesn't like orlando and wants to move back to Michigan where he is from and for a guy who is worth about 5 billion he knows if he wants to buy a team later, he always can?

Maybe because he is 80 something and his kids don't want to move to Orlando and take part in the team?

Chucky Woods
04-05-2014, 04:48 PM
The Bucks aren't going anywhere, and neither are the Magic.
Seattle is not getting another NBA franchise... unless its an expansion team.

IndyRealist
04-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Not from me:

Rich Devos and family are firmly entrenched in the Orlando community from a financial standpoint, from the RDV Sportsplex to the new Amway Center that cost DeVos $60M out-of-pocket just four years ago. DeVos has also locked in naming rights to the Orlando venue through 2019 (at a cost of $40M) and executed a rent commitment through 2039 (at a cost of $30M, to be paid over 30 years). That's not to say that the team couldn't be sold to another Orlando-area investor, but there is virtually 0% chance the team moves and beyond that, imho virtually 0% chance that DeVos looks to sell in the immediate future. The Magic haven't been on the market since 2002, and since that time DeVos has promoted many members of his own family to paid executive positions within the franchise.

Sandman
04-05-2014, 05:11 PM
This sounds like pure speculation with no logical founding at all.

On PSD you need a link to a story or your post gets locked/deleted. How many of these jackball writers would have their stories purged if they were held to the same standard....

Sandman
04-05-2014, 05:13 PM
He could put 550 million dollars in his pocket instead of a 10-15 mil a year return on his ownership (and according to forbes, his team value has gone up, but his operating income has been in the red on average over the past decade). Remember his team value spiked quite a bit with the Amway arena which he largely didn't fund himself.

He maybe doesn't like orlando and wants to move back to Michigan where he is from and for a guy who is worth about 5 billion he knows if he wants to buy a team later, he always can?

Maybe because he is 80 something and his kids don't want to move to Orlando and take part in the team?
In other words you have no idea.

There are a million and one reasons why somebody might make a move like that. Where's the source that any of these things are actually happening.

It seems like pure speculation based on the fact the guy is 87. Bad journalism! Bad!

mgsports
04-05-2014, 05:28 PM
SHAQ can own the team. None of the Florida Teams in any a Sports are going to relocate. Columbus? Nashville? Buffalo? Theirs cities that have other Sports Teams like Green Bay,Jacksonville,Cincinnati and so on.

Shammyguy3
04-05-2014, 08:05 PM
MIL should absolutely be relocated. I didn't think it was that bad until I went and saw the Bulls play the Bucks about two months ago. My goodness, the amount of fans at that stadium was atrocious. And well over half of them were Bulls fans which makes sense since MIL is only 90 minutes away from CHI. I'd expect that they're Bulls games are the games which attract the most fans and the greatest profits... it was horrible and convinced me that there's no doubt they should be moved.

Seattle, Kansas City, St Louis, Louisville, and Vegas are all cities that could end up being more profitable than the likes of MIL (obviously yes with Seattle)

jd25213
04-06-2014, 10:48 AM
I'd be happy with a NBA team in St. Louis :)

But I think it would take 15-20 years for it to really become popular. I just don't think our market really demands it. Cardinals dominate the St. Louis market, and the Blues get the rest of the attention. Nobody gives a **** about the Rams except for a few hardcore fans.

I think the same can be said for Kansas City. When the Chiefs are winning, no team can top them for ratings in this town. This town is owned by the Chiefs and since some of the NBA season overlaps with the NFL season, it would be hard for a new NBA team to gain popularity since the Chiefs are turning things around. After that it's Sporting Kansas City, since they just won the MLS Cup it would be hard for a rebuilding team like the Bucks or the Magic to compete with that. Also, now that the Royals are fielding a competitive team it would be really hard for any NBA team here as well. All three sports teams are playing really well here so whatever NBA team comes here would have trouble starting off. Plus you factor in the fact that KU's campus is only 35 minutes west of downtown Kansas City, so it's already like having a pro team since we have the Jayhawks. I could see the NBA putting a team here since the closest team is Oklahoma City, and that is still a good 6 hour drive from Kansas City, but any team would have trouble in this market right now because the other three teams are playoff/fringe playoff teams and those two NBA are still a few years away. I do hope they put a team here one day so that way I can see my Nets play in person.

ScottFromCanada
04-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Calgary would be interesting, Montreal as well.

Calgary will never get a team. I would say the best spot in Canada for a new team would be Montreal depending on the outcome of their election. I pretty sure Montreal is the top place for producing NBA talent in Canada after Toronto and they are the second largest city in Canada. After that the obvious choice would be Vancouver but they'd need a local local owner this time around and probably Jeremy Lin (large Asian market).

Nick O
04-06-2014, 04:45 PM
they arent moving... but just throwing it out there that an NBA team in Montreal would be pretty damn cool

mgsports
04-06-2014, 09:45 PM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com not for sale Magic.

Trueblue2
04-07-2014, 01:54 AM
Mexico DF would attract a huge market. Players could live in the resort cities and theyd enjoy much fewer taxes than in the states or canada. Id would bring in a huge market if they went after latino players. Itd also help expand the sport to latin america.

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-07-2014, 06:01 PM

Homer alert!!!!

Orlando sucks, time for a real sports city to get a team.

Sandman
04-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Homer alert!!!!

Orlando sucks, time for a real sports city to get a team.

I will spartan kick you back to Greece

The Magic had the highest payroll in the NBA not too long ago. OKC can't even go the extra mile. They're not hurting.

brewboy288
04-07-2014, 08:35 PM
The Bucks wont be going anywhere. They're already as good as sold to a group that is going to keep them in the Mil. The deal is gonna come with a new arena as well. The Bucks should be more relevant in coming seasons after this deal.