PDA

View Full Version : More Impressive: San Antonio's 19 Game Win Steak, Or Miami's 27 Games Win Streak?

amos1er
04-05-2014, 02:35 AM
I would have to go with San Antonio's 19 game win streak personally. The Western Conference is just so stacked with talent this year with even the 9 seed likely to win at least 50 games, while the eastern conference is a complete joke. The 9 seed in the west would be the three seed in the east. Teams like The Thunder, The Clippers, The Rockets, The Warriors, The Trail Blazers, The Suns, The Mavricks are all top notch competition compared to the cake walk the Eastern Conference is. San Antonio as hot as they are now, could have won at least 30 games if they had the Heat's schedule last season when they won their 27 in a row. That is just my opinion of course. Mad props to The Spurs. Discuss...

amos1er
04-05-2014, 03:07 AM
Here is a very interesting article I found comparing the two win steaks... It even includes the Clippers from last season. San Antonio by far was the more impressive team statistically, and a much greater all around team effort. Truly how the game of basketball should be played. San Antonio once again showing much class and setting a first class example of unselfish play. Kudos.

http://stats.nba.com/featured/unselfish_play_spurs_san_anton_2014_03_31.html

Unselfish Play Spurs San Antonio Streak
By Brian Martin

The San Antonio Spurs matched their franchise-record by picking up their 17th consecutive win on Saturday and will attempt to set a new mark on Monday against the suddenly struggling Indiana Pacers.

The numbers the Spurs have posted during this stretch of play, which began on Feb. 26, have been remarkable.

Scoring (Last 17 games)
Points Allowed: 95.7 (5th)
Point Differential: +16.0 (1st)
The Spurs have outscored opponents by an average of 16 points during their 17-game win streak. The next highest differential is 11.2 by the Oklahoma City Thunder (11-6), followed by 7.2 by the Houston Rockets (12-5).

Shooting (Last 17 games)
FG% (Last 17 games): 49.4% (1st)
3FG% (Last 17 games): 43.8% (1st)
eFG% (Last 17 games): 55.5% (1st)
You can't average nearly 112 points per game without shooting the ball well. And the Spurs have done it better than any team in the league – both overall (49.4 FG%) and from long-range (43.8 3FG%).

Rebounding (Last 17 games)
Rebounds Per Game: 46.2 per game (3rd)
Offensive Rebounds Per Game: 9.4 (26th)
Defensive Rebounds Per Game: 36.9 (1st)
Since the Spurs are shooting so well, there are limited offensive rebounds available for them to grab. They are averaging just 9.4 offensive rebounds (26th in the NBA) during the streak, but lead the league in defensive rebounds at 36.9 per game. Overall, they sit just 0.3 rebounds per game behind league-leading Sacramento, a team with plenty of missed shots and offensive rebound opportunities.

Defense (Last 17 games)
Blocks Per Game: 6.6 per game (1st)
The Spurs don't just put up gaudy numbers on offense; they have also been outstanding on the defense during their recent run. Not only do they lead the league in blocks over the past 17 games, they are also ranked first in defensive efficiency, giving up just 97.0 points per 100 possessions.

Combine their league-best defensive efficiency (97.0) and their league-best offensive efficiency (112.0) and you end up with a net rating of 15.0, which towers over the rest of the league. The L.A. Clippers are next at 12.1, followed by Brooklyn at 8.8 over the past 17 games.

But the statistic that truly represents the Spurs is assists.

San Antonio's motion offense is predicated on player movement, ball movement and unselfish play. There are no ball stoppers on the San Antonio Spurs. In fact, they lead the league in total passes at 24,102. They constantly bypass good shots for better shots and better shots for great shots. And thanks to SportVU technology we can measure this beautiful display of basketball with new assist metrics.

But first, lets start with the basics. The Spurs lead the league in assists per game on the season at 25.2 per game. They were at 24.3 assists per game prior to the streak and have increased that mark to an incredible 29.1 over the past 17 games.

Assists (Last 17 games)
Assists Per Game: 29.1 (1st)
AST%: 68.8% (1st)
AST/TO ratio: 2.02 (1st)
During the streak, the Spurs are assisting on 68.8% of their field goals, tops in the league by nearly four percent; the Bulls are second at 64.9%. Before the streak began, the Spurs were assisting on 60.6% of their field goals, the seventh highest mark in the league.

When we look at the SportVU data, we can hone in on the Spurs' ball movement, thanks to the addition of the secondary assist metric. Often referred to as a hockey assist, the secondary assist is essentially the pass that set up the assist. Or the pass that set up the pass that set up the basket.

It is defined as a pass made by a player to the player who earned an assist on a made basket. The assister must make the assist within two seconds and one dribble for passer to earn a secondary assist.

On the season, the Spurs lead the league in secondary assists per game at 7.38 per game.

Here is a look at top 5:
San Antonio Spurs: 7.38
Los Angeles Clippers: 7.09
Atlanta Hawks: 6.94
Memphis Grizzlies: 6.89
Miami Heat: 6.10
Prior to the streak, the Spurs averaged 6.68 secondary assists per game. They have increased their secondary assists by 45.4% during the streak to reach their 9.71 mark over the last 17 games.

Assists
Season: 1,858 in 73 games: 25.45 per game
Streak: 494 in 17 games: 29.06 per game
Pre-Streak: 1364 in 56 games: 24.36 per game
Secondary assists
Season: 539 in 73 games: 7.38 per game
Streak: 165 in 17 games: 9.71 per game
Pre-Streak: 374 in 56 games: 6.68 per game
Free Throw Assists (Any time a player makes a pass and the receiver is fouled within 2 seconds and 1 dribbles and makes a free throw)
Season: 198 in 73 games: 2.71 per game
Streak: 59 in 17 games: 3.47 per game
Pre-Streak: 139 in 56 games: 2.48 per game
Adjusted Assists (sum of assists, secondary assists and free throw assists)
Season: 2595 in 73 games: 35.55 per game
Streak: 718 in 17 games: 42.24 per game
Pre-Streak: 1877 in 56 games: 33.52 per game
Thanks in part to their offensive philosophy and willingness to share the ball, the Spurs have distributed their scoring very evenly during their win streak as no player averages 15 points per game. The Spurs are leading the league in scoring with 111.7 points over the past 17 games and their leading scorer (Tony Parker) is posting just 14.6 points per game.

Last season saw two winning streaks of at least 17 games -- the Miami Heat had the second-longest streak of all time with 27 straight wins in February and March of 2013, and the Los Angeles Clippers rattled off 17 straight wins in November and December of 2012.

Comparing Win Streaks

San Antonio Spurs (17 games, 2014)
Averages: 111.7 pts, 29.1 ast, 49.4 FG%, 43.8 3FG%

Scoring Leaders (over 9.0 ppg)
Tony Parker: 14.6
Tim Duncan: 14.3
Kawhi Leonard: 14.2
Manu Ginobili: 13.6
Marco Belinelli: 12.0
Danny Green: 10.9
Patty Mills: 9.9
Tiago Splitter: 9.2
Miami Heat (27 games, 2013)
Averages: 105.3 pts, 23.8 assists, 50.8 FG%, 40.3 3FG%

LeBron James: 27.0
Dwyane Wade: 22.8
Chris Bosh: 15.6
Ray Allen: 10.2
Mario Chalmers: 9.8
Los Angeles Clippers (17 games, 2012)
Averages: 104.7 pts, 25.6 ast, 48.5 FG%, 34.7 3FG%

Blake Griffin: 18.6
Chris Paul: 16.4
Jamal Crawford: 15.2
Matt Barnes: 12.9
Caron Butler: 9.8
DeAndre Jordan: 9.1
The top three scorers for both the Heat and the Clippers were all above 15 points per game. The Spurs have none that have reached that average. Miami was led by LeBron James (27.0 points per game), Dwyane Wade (22.8) and Chris Bosh (15.6). They had just two additional players average more than nine points during their streak.

The Clippers showed more balance, without a single player averaging in the 20s. They were paced by Blake Griffin (18.6), Chris Paul (16.4) and Jamal Crawford (15.2) and had three additional players average more than nine points during their run.

The Spurs have eight players averaging at least nine points during this streak and six are averaging in double figures. The Spurs have three players -- Duncan (14.3), Leonard (14.2) and Ginobili (13.6) -- all within a single point of their leader (Parker at 14.6).

Season Stats -- Passing and Assists

Stats Spurs Rank Notes
Total Passes 24,102 1st Next is Bobcats at 24,007
Passes Per Game 330.2 2nd Behind Bobcats at 333.4
Total Assists 1,858 1st Next is Clippers at 1818
Assists Per Game 25.5 1st Next is Hawks at 24.7
Secondary Assists 539 1st Next is Clippers at 525
Free Throw Assists 198 T-4th Tied with Clippers, behind T-Wolves at 239, Bulls and Nuggets
Adjusted Assists 2,595 1st Next is Clippers at 2,541
Potential Assists 3,523 1st Next is Hawks at 3,488
Points Created 4,383 1st Next is Clippers at 4,251

goku
04-05-2014, 03:19 AM
27 > 19

amos1er
04-05-2014, 03:40 AM
27 > 19

Ironic that your name is Goku because I have always thought of the Kobe vs. Lebron rivalry as kind of a metaphor for the Goku vs. Vegeta rivalry. Goku Being Kobe and Lebron being Vegeta. Vegeta is always trying to catch Goku's legacy the same as Lebron is always trying to catch Kobe's. Though Vegeta was always a step behind much like Lebron. Vegeta even at one point enlisted the help of the Wizard Babidi to become Majin Vegeta so that he could "unnaturally" attain a higher power level to compete against Goku. This to me is similar to the way in which Lebron enlisted the help of Wade and Bosh so that he could "unnaturally" attain a better team to compete against Kobe. The similarities are erie. Being a huge fan of both the NBA and DBZ, I had to make that metaphor "naturally". No pun intended. Lol.

Though I will say it's weird that Kobe is my fav NBA player and Vegeta is my fav DBZ character. Go figure...

DallasTrilla23
04-05-2014, 04:04 AM
Ironic that your name is Goku because I have always thought of the Kobe vs. Lebron rivalry as kind of a metaphor for the Goku vs. Vegeta rivalry. Goku Being Kobe and Lebron being Vegeta. Vegeta is always trying to catch Goku's legacy the same as Lebron is always trying to catch Kobe's. Though Vegeta was always a step behind much like Lebron. Vegeta even at one point enlisted the help of the Wizard Babidi to become Majin Vegeta so that he could "unnaturally" attain a higher power level to compete against Goku. This to me is similar to the way in which Lebron enlisted the help of Wade and Bosh so that he could "unnaturally" attain a better team to compete against Kobe. The similarities are erie. Being a huge fan of both the NBA and DBZ, I had to make that metaphor "naturally". No pun intended. Lol.

Though I will say it's weird that Kobe is my fav NBA player and Vegeta is my fav DBZ character. Go figure...

No dude you got it all wrong. Goku is Kobe but Lebron is Gohan, Kobe's son! It's not until Goku is beat by Cell (KD) in the Cell games (2012 Playoffs) that Lebron turns super sayian and defeats Cell by posting him up and using Kobe's signature kamehameha (post fadeaway).

Kaner
04-05-2014, 04:05 AM
No dude you got it all wrong. Goku is Kobe but Lebron is Gohan, Kobe's son! It's not until Goku is beat by Cell (KD) in the Cell games (2012 Playoffs) that Lebron turns super sayian and defeats Cell by posting him up and using Kobe's signature kamehameha (post fadeaway).

this is a much better analogy. Gohan was always much more naturally talented then Goku (or anyone ever).

stawka
04-05-2014, 04:22 AM
lol OP

numba1CHANGsta
04-05-2014, 05:34 AM
Easily SA's streak is more impressive because they did it in the Western Conference, not in the sorry *** Eastern Conference

Method28
04-05-2014, 05:42 AM

Wtf is going on?

TylerSL
04-05-2014, 05:45 AM
lol OP trying so hard. I bet he voted in his own poll :rolleyes:

It's the 27 game winning streak. Remember that there were teams that were good last year that are not so good this year (New York, Atlanta, Boston, Denver) and teams that are good this year that were not so good last year (Toronto, Washington, Portland, Phoenix) so the landscape of the NBA was a bit different. Boston also sent it's core to Brooklyn, and Memphis was elite last season as well. The Bucks were also the 8 seed in the East last year, far from the worst team in the league.

During our winning streak, our notable wins were vs.Houston, vs.Clippers, vs.Lakers, @OKC, @Chicago, vs.Memphis, @New York, vs.Indiana vs.Atlanta, @Milwaukee and @Boston.

In San Antonio's run, their notable wins included vs.Charlotte, vs.Dallas, vs.Miami, @Chicago vs.Portland, @GSW, @Pacers, vs.GSW.

We went 53 days without a loss (February 3-March 27), San Antonio went 37 days (February 26-April 3). Our streak lasted 2 1/2 weeks longer. 2 1/2 weeks during the NBA season is not that long in the scope of a full season, but when you are making a run at the longest winning streak in American professional sports it is an eternity. As hard as the OP tries, you cannot underrate that. There is a reason why it took over 40 years for anybody to seriously challenge the 33 consecutive streak mark.

amos1er
04-05-2014, 07:40 AM
this is a much better analogy. Gohan was always much more naturally talented then Goku (or anyone ever).

Yes, Gohan did have the natural ability, but didn't have the same drive and work ethic as Goku and Vegeta... Which is why they both ended up surpassing him by the Buu saga.

amos1er
04-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Horry>Kobe

I was just using that posters own logic against him. If I truly believed that rings were the end all be all, than Russell is the GOAT... Which I wholeheartedly disagree with. There are a lot of other factors that go into a players rings when you evaluate how much it defines their legacies. To me, Lebrons two rings were with a superteam in a very weak conference against very weak competition in comparison to his all time great contemporaries. That said, I believe them to hold less value than two of the rings Kobe earned with Shaq in the early 2000's. One of Lebron's rings is worth half of one of Jordan's IMO. If Lebron goes and wins some rings with a fairly constructed team against some decent competition, only then we can start measuring him against Jordan and Kobe. Unless that happens, he will forever hover around the 10-15 mark on the list of all-time greats IMO.

amos1er
04-05-2014, 07:57 AM
lol OP trying so hard. I bet he voted in his own poll :rolleyes:

It's the 27 game winning streak. Remember that there were teams that were good last year that are not so good this year (New York, Atlanta, Boston, Denver) and teams that are good this year that were not so good last year (Toronto, Washington, Portland, Phoenix) so the landscape of the NBA was a bit different. Boston also sent it's core to Brooklyn, and Memphis was elite last season as well. The Bucks were also the 8 seed in the East last year, far from the worst team in the league.

During our winning streak, our notable wins were vs.Houston, vs.Clippers, vs.Lakers, @OKC, @Chicago, vs.Memphis, @New York, vs.Indiana vs.Atlanta, @Milwaukee and @Boston.

In San Antonio's run, their notable wins included vs.Charlotte, vs.Dallas, vs.Miami, @Chicago vs.Portland, @GSW, @Pacers, vs.GSW.

We went 53 days without a loss (February 3-March 27), San Antonio went 37 days (February 26-April 3). Our streak lasted 2 1/2 weeks longer. 2 1/2 weeks during the NBA season is not that long in the scope of a full season, but when you are making a run at the longest winning streak in American professional sports it is an eternity. As hard as the OP tries, you cannot underrate that. There is a reason why it took over 40 years for anybody to seriously challenge the 33 consecutive streak mark.

You make somewhat of a valid point about the teams played I'll give you that, but I'm still not sold. In addition to the East vs. West disparity, San Antonio's streak was far more impressive on the fact that it was an all around team effort and was done through much more team efficiency. The Heat's was with the three top players in their weak conference all taking less money to play on the same team. Just look at the overall team contributions from San Antonio compared to the Big Three lead Miami Heat...

San Antonio Spurs (17 games, 2014)
Averages: 111.7 pts, 29.1 ast, 49.4 FG%, 43.8 3FG%

Tony Parker: 14.6
Tim Duncan: 14.3
Kawhi Leonard: 14.2
Manu Ginobili: 13.6
Marco Belinelli: 12.0
Danny Green: 10.9
Patty Mills: 9.9
Tiago Splitter: 9.2

Miami Heat (27 games, 2013)
Averages: 105.3 pts, 23.8 assists, 50.8 FG%, 40.3 3FG%

LeBron James: 27.0
Dwyane Wade: 22.8
Chris Bosh: 15.6
Ray Allen: 10.2
Mario Chalmers: 9.8

amos1er
04-05-2014, 08:00 AM

Does this mean that Lebron calls Kobe "Daddy"?

sep11ie
04-05-2014, 09:28 AM
I am sofaking confused right now.

SteveNash
04-05-2014, 10:01 AM
The Rockets streak a few years ago was more impressive than the Spurs streak. Neither comes close to Miami's streak.

Chrisclover
04-05-2014, 10:03 AM
I would have to go with San Antonio's 19 game win streak personally. The Western Conference is just so stacked with talent this year with even the 9 seed likely to win at least 50 games, while the eastern conference is a complete joke. The 9 seed in the west would be the three seed in the east. Teams like The Thunder, The Clippers, The Rockets, The Warriors, The Trail Blazers, The Suns, The Mavricks are all top notch competition compared to the cake walk the Eastern Conference is. San Antonio as hot as they are now, could have won at least 30 games if they had the Heat's schedule last season when they won their 27 in a row. That is just my opinion of course. Mad props to The Spurs. Discuss...

In this case, is there a difference between being a western team and an eastern one ?I think in the regular season, the schedule which teams play against their counterparts is not based on whether they are eastern or western, but equally against the other conference or randomly decided,thus your argument that the Spurs are more impressive simply because they are in a tough western conference is probably inappropriate. We are talking about winning streaks, not conference standings.
I could be wrong about the schedule thing so please correct me if i am so .

mightybosstone
04-05-2014, 10:21 AM
It's unquestionably Miami's streak. Not only was it longer, but they beat more top tier teams than San Antonio did over that 19 games. Someone already brought it up, but the Spurs beat only eight playoff bound teams in 19 games, and of those eight victories only three teams will finish top four in their respective conferences: Miami, Chicago and Indiana. Also, wins against Indiana don't impress anybody right now, because the Pacers are playing some pretty atrocious basketball. In fact the win against the Heat and the two Warriors victories are probably their most impressive wins, but they didn't face one single top 4 team in the West, which are the squads the Spurs have struggled against this season. If they had a few wins against OKC, LA or Houston, I might buy this argument a little more.

On the flip side, Miami beat 12 playoff teams in their 27 victories, I believe, including wins against the rival Celtics, Pacers and Knicks in the East, two wins against top four squads in the West (OKC, LAC) and two victories against solid 5 seeds in Memphis and Chicago. That's a more impressive haul than what the Spurs accomplished. Hell, of the 15 other playoff teams in the league last season, Miami beat 11 of them on that stretch (6 in the East, 5 in the West). That's freaking impressive.

The only win streak that's less than Miami that I would give credence to "more impressive" is Houston's 22-game streak from 2008, I believe. Homerism aside, Houston won those games with a random assortment of players that were patched together witch scotch tape after Yao went down midway through the streak. Winning 10+ games in a row without your best player is pretty freaking impressive, and that Rockets team did it after already winning 10+ games. Unless someone busts out 30+ wins or does something similar, I don't know that I'll ever be more impressed by an NBA winning streak in my lifetime.

goku
04-05-2014, 10:28 AM
not to mention is the 2nd longest streak ever

Htownballa1622
04-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Heat easily.

Plus the spurs have beaten(west)

Dal,por, lakers(2), utah, sac, gsw (2), pelicans, nuggets (2).

Not exactly the thunder,clippers,rox you were claiming in your first post.

Chrisclover
04-05-2014, 10:32 AM
We went 53 days without a loss (February 3-March 27), San Antonio went 37 days (February 26-April 3). Our streak lasted 2 1/2 weeks longer.
2 1/2 weeks during the NBA season is not that long in the scope of a full season, but when you are making a run at the longest winning streak in American professional sports it is an eternity. As hard as the OP tries, you cannot underrate that. There is a reason why it took over 40 years for anybody to seriously challenge the 33 consecutive streak mark.
This.

Htownballa1622
04-05-2014, 10:36 AM
5 > 2

Yes 5> 2 when it comes to championships but that's not the entire story.

4> 1 would be a stupid argument as well that favored Lebron.

When comparing SINGULAR streaks, 27> 19.

Nick O
04-05-2014, 10:44 AM
well hold on here. let me do some quick math..... yup it would appear 27 is a bigger number than 19

DreamShaker
04-05-2014, 11:02 AM
The Rockets winning 22 straight with Yao and T-Mac trading injuries is the craziest one I have seen. They were in NO WAY close to a contender, but that team just clicked like crazy in that time.

In this argument, I will go with the Heat. 27 games is still 27 games. But both are crazy. The Spurs never cease to astound me.

ManRam
04-05-2014, 11:15 AM
If the Spurs got a little closer there'd be an argument. But 8 games is way too big of a difference.

The Heat beat only 11 teams over .500 during their streak.

But SAS only beat 7. They played a ton of scrubs: DET, CHA, CLE, LAL (x2), ORL, UTA, SAC, PHI, DEN (x2), NO.

Yes, the Western Conference is amazing. No, the Spurs didn't play a lot of those amazing teams. In fact, the only WC playoff teams they played were POR, DAL and GSW (x2). Might wanna look at the actual schedule before you assume how tough it was.

The Heat's 27 game win streak was better. [/thread]

FlashBolt
04-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Is he really trying to debate this?

ManRam
04-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Is he really trying to debate this?

Better question: is anyone even surprised that he's trying to argue this?

todu82
04-05-2014, 12:20 PM
The Spurs. Their team doesn't have the talent that Heat team had.

Mr_Jones
04-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Their age also makes it impressive. Past their primes and close to retirement, with the exception of Parker.

ManRam
04-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Their age also makes it impressive. Past their primes and close to retirement, with the exception of Parker.

The Heat are the oldest team in the NBA...

Last year they trailed only the Knicks. They were older on average that year too.

I get your point, though.

3RDASYSTEM
04-05-2014, 01:34 PM

27 always trumps 26 and under
whats worse, starting for all star team but not regular season team or crying like a ***** every pre season about how the team is yours because you felt neglected as a backup?

what is better 18 rpg or 10? whats better 28ppg or 20? or 15apg or 7? its the same ****ing thing with the win streak, 19 or 27 is not more impressive than 33 wins in a row regardless of era/competiton/team play, just like 11 rings over 3 or 6 rings for that matter, its what it is

50ppg trumps 37ppg or even that 35ppg that your lover bean Bryant posted in like 06', but I bet you think bean Bryant 35ppg is more better right?

damn you get wise dumber by the sports second

Jamiecballer
04-05-2014, 01:49 PM
As impressive as San Antonio has been its a dead giveaway when a kobephile starts a thread praising team play.

Having said that, I'll agree with San Antonio.

FlashBolt
04-05-2014, 01:51 PM
The Spurs. Their team doesn't have the talent that Heat team had.

Really? So it doesn't take talent to win the past 16/17 seasons? That's news to me.

Lakers + Giants
04-05-2014, 02:14 PM
27>19

Way too big of a difference.

Byronicle
04-05-2014, 02:21 PM
As impressive as San Antonio has been its a dead giveaway when a kobephile starts a thread praising team play.

Having said that, I'll agree with San Antonio.

His intent is to downplay Lebron and the Miami Heat 27 game win streak. He's an LBJ hater so it's hard to believe he genuinely believes 19 games outweigh 27.

Byronicle
04-05-2014, 02:23 PM
The Heat are the oldest team in the NBA...

Last year they trailed only the Knicks. They were older on average that year too.

I get your point, though.

Their best players are ancient and as a result there were many DNP's because of rest

28.4 years for the spurs vs. 30.2. Difference of 1.8 years, not much of a difference really.

Lakers + Giants
04-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Their best players are ancient and as a result there were many DNP's because of rest

28.4 years for the spurs vs. 30.2. Difference of 1.8 years, not much of a difference really.

Actually that's a pretty big difference, I mean, the average player is over 30 years on that team, wow. .

Yanks All Day
04-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Miami's streak was 8 games longer over a 2 week longer span and they beat more playoff-bound teams in the process. That's all you need to know.

You can try to downplay Miami's accomplishments all you want, but it is still the second longest streak ever. It's 33% of the season. When you win literally 1/3 of the games in a season in a row, that wins.

Jamiecballer
04-05-2014, 02:41 PM
His intent is to downplay Lebron and the Miami Heat 27 game win streak. He's an LBJ hater so it's hard to believe he genuinely believes 19 games outweigh 27.

Obviously I know that but I believe in numbers and looking at those numbers if this was the Hollinger rankings I think it would be San Antonio that would be ahead.

I mean that's thorough dominance in every facet of the game.

likemystylez
04-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Really? So it doesn't take talent to win the past 16/17 seasons? That's news to me.

They dont win because of dominating talent. Pop gets every guy on that roster playing to the very best of their ability every single game. Their bench would be considered garbage if they were playing under any coach other than POP... heck Danny Green couldnt even get into the rotation on a horrible cavs team. Pop could pull 12 guys out of the stands and probably compete with the best team in the nba.

torocan
04-05-2014, 02:46 PM
I think it could go both ways depending on what you value.

However, there's a good argument for the Spurs simply due to minutes distribution.

The Spurs weren't even chasing the streak. Pops himself said he didn't care and wanted his team to lose so they could get back to focusing on the play offs. Parker said after the 19th win that he and TD had to BEG Pops to let them play.

Here's a question... how many games would Miami win if they limited LBJ, Wade and Bosh to 31 mpg or less? That's how many minutes Pops plays his ENTIRE roster....

Is it still 27?

nastynice
04-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Obviously 27 is better than 19, but personally I'm more impressed with the spurs just cuz they are really executing flawlessly and are a bunch of old bastards are their best players. Heat was kinda like, almost expected, they're just so talented that this kind of stuff is almost what you expect out of them rather than something to be very impressed by. Spurs tho, man, I really didn't think they'd be this good, its crazy the longevity that team has had.

#1 Romo fan
04-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Mmmmmm, 19 game win steak (drool)

Hawkeye15
04-05-2014, 04:47 PM
San Antonio, during their 19 game winning streak, beat 4 western conference playoff teams, one of which was Dallas, and GS twice. They didn't play a top 4 seed in the west once. They also beat 3 eastern conference playoff teams, the top 2 seeds, and Chicago. So, they played a total of 7 playoff teams in that streak, none of which would have HCA in the west if the playoffs started right now. The Spurs played 10 west teams, 9 east teams. Only 3 of the west teams are currently playoff teams, so the west heavy schedule is a poor excuse.

Miami, during their 27 game winning streak, beat 5 western conference playoff teams. They beat 8 eastern conference playoff teams.

The Spurs beat 12 non-playoff teams, the Heat 14.

The streaks are equal on paper, meaning you have to tip your hat to the longer one.

Miami's is more impressive.

amos1er
04-05-2014, 06:27 PM
27 always trumps 26 and under
whats worse, starting for all star team but not regular season team or crying like a ***** every pre season about how the team is yours because you felt neglected as a backup?

what is better 18 rpg or 10? whats better 28ppg or 20? or 15apg or 7? its the same ****ing thing with the win streak, 19 or 27 is not more impressive than 33 wins in a row regardless of era/competiton/team play, just like 11 rings over 3 or 6 rings for that matter, its what it is

50ppg trumps 37ppg or even that 35ppg that your lover bean Bryant posted in like 06', but I bet you think bean Bryant 35ppg is more better right?

damn you get wise dumber by the sports second

So then by that Logic I take it that Kobe is greater than Lebron because 5 always trumps 4 and under. Let's not even mention how many alll-time greats must trump Iverson then because anything is greater than zero. :)

Jarvo
04-05-2014, 09:21 PM
As long as The Spurs when the title I dont give a flying ****

JasonJohnHorn
04-06-2014, 12:02 PM
I would say that the Heat's streak is easily more impressive: the won 66 games that year and the championship (though the Spurs were very close to getting it).

The Spurs will not win 66 games this year and they will need a herculean effort to win the banner.

The Spurs were certainly more dominant over the 19 games than were the Heat over 27 (I remember the Heat winning some VERY close games against some VERY bad teams), but at the end of the day, putting oneself in a position to win 27 straight games is an amazing feat, even if another team is more dominant over a shorter span.

Both are amazing, but what the Heat did hasn't been done in decades. I just don't see how the two even compare.