PDA

View Full Version : Pau Gasol's future destination?

kobe4thewinbang
04-04-2014, 05:55 PM
The guy has clearly declined and his play is usually a far cry from the two championship years with the Lakers. He will obviously take a pay cut, but where do you see him going?

I hope he doesn't return to the Lakers. He's always had an ugly relationship with D'Antoni as the coach, and even if D'Antoni is fired (which may not happen, due to recent reports of Lakers just keeping him as coach until his contract ends, despite how Kobe Bryant may feel about it), I think he needs a fresh start as does the team after Gasol was almost traded to the Houston Rockets in the vetoed "Chris Paul Trade."

I don't see him going to Houston since Dwight Howard is there now and the two struggled to develop chemistry in LA. I've heard people say he should return to the Memphis Grizzlies and unite with his brother, but with Hollins gone as coach, Gasol will make their defense worse. The other team I've heard about is the Minnesota Timberwolves. Could Love and Gasol coexist?

So, where do you see Pau Gasol going, and why? Is it possible that he will retire?

abe_froman
04-04-2014, 05:59 PM
i've been saying for the past 3 years that my bulls will go all in for him..i hope i'm wrong ,but thats my guess

east fb knicks
04-04-2014, 06:02 PM
idk I see him going to a young team like the cavs or the wiz if they have any money him going back to the grizz might happen cuz Randolph might leave also

smith&wesson
04-04-2014, 06:07 PM
memphis

smith&wesson
04-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Pau Gasol has become very, very injury prone. Every year he misses alot of games due to the same nagging injuries. at this point in his career I doubt he will make a very big difference where ever he goes. Unless he can some how manage to stay healthy long enough to make an impact.

Hellcrooner
04-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Easy choices:
Lakers Or Grizzlies.

Likely if he wants to earn SOME money whilst still being a top 3 scoring option:

Hawks, Mavs, Bulls

Long shots, because he would ahve to take mínimum money and/or not being a top scoring option:
SPurs/ Thunder / Heat

Really Long long shot:

Phil asks for him in NY and lakers accept to take Bargs back cause dantoni loves him

Id be surprised if he goest to a team not on this list.

* extremely unlikely:
GO back to Barcelona ( he will after this next contract IMO) /retire

Hawkeye15
04-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Grizzlies.

xxplayerxx23
04-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Phil likes him discounted lol nah Memphis would be nice

UPRock
04-04-2014, 07:32 PM
San Antonio, Memphis or Dallas

Lakerfan32
04-04-2014, 07:56 PM
I think he's probably strongly considering Memphis but he'd be smart to go to Chicago or San Antonio. I think a change of scenery and he's great

BenFrank
04-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Morey went after him once, and he will do it again.. I say Houston on the cheap, after they trade for Melo

Howard
Gasol
Melo
Harden
Beverly

Oh' God

#PipeDream

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Honestly think he stays with the Lakers:shrug:

king4day
04-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Suns will probably take a crack at him.

kobe4thewinbang
04-04-2014, 09:54 PM
Suns will probably take a crack at him.They do have that fountain of youth.

Lakers + Giants
04-04-2014, 09:54 PM
I hope he goes to OKC, SAS, or CHI.

Would love to see him playing alongside another Defensive big man. Duncan, Ibaka, Noah.

MrfadeawayJB
04-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Memphis or minny

Kyben36
04-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Back to the Grizz or to Chicago are the two that make the most sense IMO, both have ties to him in the past, that said, he could go anywhere,

lakerfan85
04-05-2014, 12:12 AM
Maybe a sign and trade with Memphis?

DillyDill
04-05-2014, 01:13 AM
Pau and Timmy would be a nasssssttttyyy duo, I hope he go's there and so the Twin Towers can be reborn.

P&GRealist
04-05-2014, 01:18 AM
Suns will probably take a crack at him.

Suns fans didn't want him at the deadline because he would leave for nothing because he wouldn't want to re-sign there long-term while the Suns lost a 1st rd pick.

Now you think he would want to sign there this summer?

You guys make ZERO SENSE!

FOBolous
04-05-2014, 02:27 AM
Pay Gasol's the most underappreciated star ever. Period. The Lakers, even with Kobe, didn't win anything until gasol came to the team yet year after year, Lakers fans trash him and the Lakers org try to get rid of him.

asandhu23
04-05-2014, 02:30 AM
The local barbershop

EL_MACHETE
04-05-2014, 10:02 AM
I would be nice to see him sign with Okc

torocan
04-05-2014, 10:55 AM
As a back up/situational sub on a contender he's still very solid. As a starter, not so much unless he finds his health.

It all depends whether he's chasing money or rings. If he wants rings he may have to take the Derek Fisher route and take a smaller role. If he's chasing dollars, bottom/middle feeders at best. More likely small market/mid market teams.

Though who knows, he just might reunite with Phil on the cheap out of loyalty.

Hellcrooner
04-05-2014, 10:59 AM
As a back up/situational sub on a contender he's still very solid. As a starter, not so much unless he finds his health.

It all depends whether he's chasing money or rings. If he wants rings he may have to take the Derek Fisher route and take a smaller role. If he's chasing dollars, bottom/middle feeders at best. More likely small market/mid market teams.

Though who knows, he just might reunite with Phil on the cheap out of loyalty.

17 / 10 at center ( and closer to 21 and 11 since january after an awful start).

He is not going to sign anywhere to be a back up dude.

Chrisclover
04-05-2014, 11:12 AM
They do have that fountain of youth.

rejuvenate him to a J O'Neal type until he retires and his career will be fulfilled.

slashsnake
04-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Not sure his career needs rejuvinated. He's scoring, rebounding, passing, blocking, etc at a better pace than normal. His per 36 minute rebounding average is the best of his career, and scoring the best since his time in Memphis. His shooting % is way down, but he's a secondary offensive player who has nobody able to help take pressure off of him. His shot % by distance really hasn't looked bad, just that he's taking a lot more shots away from the basket.

From what I've seen of him lately, he looks to be playing just great basketball for a really bad team. He's missed some games this year but that isn't really anything new. I thought it was funny that it seemed like every other year he is out for about 1/4 of the season.

FlashBolt
04-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Would love to see him in OKC by booting Perkins out but I'm not sure what's going on with all that mess. With his superior passing ability, Ibaka and Durant can surely benefit off him. If not, heck, maybe Miami can forget about Bosh and get Gasol much cheaper. He might not be as athletic and young but he's still a top PF. Heck, the guy is putting up some big numbers while being injured. His rebounding is at a career high pace and he provides superior passing.

xxplayerxx23
04-05-2014, 02:04 PM
17 / 10 at center ( and closer to 21 and 11 since january after an awful start).

You think he's still prime pau lol. He's decent but those numbers are with him being featured. He can still start but won't get a big contract simple as that.

torocan
04-05-2014, 02:09 PM

Awful start, injury riddled the last two seasons, and getting old.

Half a season doesn't wash away his injuries and age. NO upper play off team is going to pony up big bucks in a large market for him to start.

Starter on a bubble/lottery team or mid/small market, back up on a Contender.

As for willingness, he'll have limited choices. He'll just have to figure out what's most important to him.

Hellcrooner
04-05-2014, 02:40 PM

Half a season doesn't wash away his injuries and age. NO upper play off team is going to pony up big bucks in a large market for him to start.

As for willingness, he'll have limited choices. He'll just have to figure out what's most important to him.

dude there is not a single team in the entire competition that haas BOTH a pf and a C better than pau gasol.
He can play both positions.
Wich means he DOES NOT need to be on the bench for any team.

slashsnake
04-05-2014, 04:03 PM

Not saying big bucks on a long term deal.. but I could see him making 10-12 mil on a good team.

Teams are willing to give guys like Zach Randolph, Emeka Okafor, Carlos Boozer, Tyson Chandler, and Al Jefferson 15+, and teams give Spencer Hawes, Carl Landry, Amir Johnson, Drew Gooden, Al Harrington, or Gortat 7 mil.

10-12 mil would be in that Bargnani, Nene (makes 13 mil), David West, JaVale McGee, Biedrins, Charlie Villanueva, Kris Humphries, Shawn Marion, Garnett, Gerald Wallace, Kendrick Perkins type salary range. I'd say he easily belongs there.

If I had a team like OKC and wanted a guy who could play off stars better than Kendrick Perkins... I'd want Pau.

And yes, if I wanted to use the money I had from Diaw and Bonner's expiring contracts on a guy, 10 mil for Pau would seem like a fine place to spend it.

Heck if I was Miami, and Bosh wanted to move on, I'd take Pau in a heartbeat there and use the other 10 mil elsewhere.

Hellcrooner
04-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Not saying big bucks on a long term deal.. but I could see him making 10-12 mil on a good team.

Teams are willing to give guys like Zach Randolph, Emeka Okafor, Carlos Boozer, Tyson Chandler, and Al Jefferson 15+, and teams give Spencer Hawes, Carl Landry, Amir Johnson, Drew Gooden, Al Harrington, or Gortat 7 mil.

10-12 mil would be in that Bargnani, Nene (makes 13 mil), David West, JaVale McGee, Biedrins, Charlie Villanueva, Kris Humphries, Shawn Marion, Garnett, Gerald Wallace, Kendrick Perkins type salary range. I'd say he easily belongs there.

If I had a team like OKC and wanted a guy who could play off stars better than Kendrick Perkins... I'd want Pau.

And yes, if I wanted to use the money I had from Diaw and Bonner's expiring contracts on a guy, 10 mil for Pau would seem like a fine place to spend it.

Heck if I was Miami, and Bosh wanted to move on, I'd take Pau in a heartbeat there and use the other 10 mil elsewhere.

bosh out

lowry and pau In.

For example.

slashsnake
04-05-2014, 05:15 PM
bosh out

lowry and pau In.

For example.

exactly... and looking at what those bigs get paid, I could see him making more than 10 mil a year for a good team.

lakerfan85
04-05-2014, 06:24 PM

If he took the mini mid level and went to Miami or OKC he would start and both of those teams are contenders..

lakerfan85
04-05-2014, 06:25 PM
You think he's still prime pau lol. He's decent but those numbers are with him being featured. He can still start but won't get a big contract simple as that.

I bet he will get around 8-10 million if he doesn't go to a team that's over the cap..

Chrisclover
04-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Not sure if his career needs rejuvenated. He's scoring, rebounding, passing, blocking, etc at a better pace than normal. His per 36 minute rebounding average is the best of his career, and scoring the best since his time in Memphis. His shooting % is way down, but he's a secondary offensive player who has nobody able to help take pressure off of him. His shot % by distance really hasn't looked bad, just that he's taking a lot more shots away from the basket.
From what I've seen of him lately, he looks to be playing just great basketball for a really bad team. He's missed some games this year but that isn't really anything new. I thought it was funny that it seemed like every other year he is out for about 1/4 of the season.
Yes,he needs rejuvenation to fulfill his career. His stats get inflated because it is the first time ever he has been the #1 option in the Lakers. In the past few years, he was at best a second fiddle behind Kobe.in this season when he plays , without Howard here, and Kaman and Hill being out all the time, he enjoys the ball most of the time.
His injuries really bother him. If he wants a longer career and a higher place in the HOF, he really needs to take better care of himself.I am not sure if he can change his playing style more , but he needs to continue to be less atrocious and, I hate to say it, but it is being softer. Gasoft was his nickname for being soft but I understand him. At his age, he can not afford to get hurt more.

Chrisclover
04-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Would love to see him in OKC by booting Perkins out but I'm not sure what's going on with all that mess. With his superior passing ability, Ibaka and Durant can surely benefit off him. If not, heck, maybe Miami can forget about Bosh and get Gasol much cheaper. He might not be as athletic and young but he's still a top PF. Heck, the guy is putting up some big numbers while being injured. His rebounding is at a career high pace and he provides superior passing.

Yea, Perkins is such a joke and needs to be booted out if the Thunders are serious about winning a championship before Durant wants to leave there.
No he is not a top PF, I would say he is a solid starter. His injuries and his conspicuous decline of speed deflate much of his value.
His passing is invaluable for a team which desperately needs ball fluidity down low.
I would say the Clippers is one. Griffin is honing his skill at a dramatic pace but not to the point where he can facilitate his teammates like Gasol does.Jordan is a terrific rebounder who is having a better offensive performance this season, which i ascribe it to the passing of CP3.If Gasol can put the LA adversary thing aside and join the Clippers, I see it a win -win situation. Gasol takes a lesser role and enjoys another chance for a championship again. He improves the ball fluidity a step further and be a locker room leader for this young squad.
Another team is, like many people speculate, the Grizzlies, where his bro plays and he himself started his NBA career. Marc is a another version of Pau, having the ability to facilitate his team and more importantly, playing better D than Pau. Randolph is versatile but somehow gets less efficient. If Pau arrives Memphis again as a player, he can vitalize this team which is known for team work and disipline.I am sure Pau will be esteemed in Memphis more than in the Lakers. Lakers fans are longing for a quick rebuild thus have no interest of bring Pau back because he is not a part of our long term goal.
But let's be real, the Clippers are better than the Grizzlies. They are younger and having more confidence due to their rising ranking in place of Lakers and a major boost from CP3 and Griffin. The Grizzlies are , IMO, declining dramatically. Maybe it has something to do with their lack of star powers or whatever, you name it. I just do not see them replay their magic 2 years back when they could trounce strong teams like the Spurs