PDA

View Full Version : Alonzo Mourning makes Hall Of Fame

Big Zo
04-02-2014, 08:24 PM
First ballot inductee according to USA Today, won't be made official until sometime this weekend. Thoughts? Didn't think he'd get in on the first try.

abe_froman
04-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Didn't think he'd get in on the first try.

really? 7x all star,2x dpoy,a few all nba teams and decent college career.he had a significant drop off after the medical problems,but still had enough big time years.

Jeffy25
04-02-2014, 08:36 PM
really? 7x all star,2x dpoy,a few all nba teams and decent college career.he had a significant drop off after the medical problems,but still had enough big time years.

What does his college career have to do with anything?

Or in basketball does college matter for the hall?

kozelkid
04-02-2014, 08:39 PM

Sadly it does. One of the many reasons that it's the joke hall of fame among the four major shorts.

abe_froman
04-02-2014, 08:40 PM

basketball hof takes into account all of someone's career,including international and college ball(its what got bill bradley,ralph sampson,ect. in)

goingfor28
04-02-2014, 08:49 PM
No surprise. He deserves it. Congrats Zo

Jeffy25
04-02-2014, 09:09 PM
basketball hof takes into account all of someone's career,including international and college ball(its what got bill bradley,ralph sampson,ect. in)

Oh wow, didn't know that.

JeremiahWing
04-02-2014, 09:31 PM
It's the basketball HOF, not the NBA HOF.

Hawkeye15
04-02-2014, 09:37 PM

It's the Basketball HOF. College, international, coaching, and front office mean just as much as playing in the NBA.

It's why making the Basketball HOF is so much easier than making the NFL/MLB HOF.

Recent example is Joe Dumars. His NBA career is probably not good enough to get in. But factor in he is the 11th all time NCAA scorer, and won Executive of the Year in Detroit and was the GM during their championship, and 7 straight ECF's runs, and he is a shoe in.

sammyvine
04-02-2014, 09:42 PM
the nba hall of fame is so weak

but nfl/baseball standards the likes of mourning and dumars would not get it. HOF should be for special players like MJ, Kobe, Bron etc....the lowest level player should be a Steve Nash/Jason Kidd players who were the best in their position even if they didn't win a ring.

Mourning lol

Hawkeye15
04-02-2014, 09:44 PM

but nfl/baseball standards the likes of mourning and dumars would not get it. HOF should be for special players like MJ, Kobe, Bron etc....the lowest level player should be a Steve Nash/Jason Kidd players who were the best in their position even if they didn't win a ring.

Mourning lol

because its not the NBA HOF....

Slug3
04-02-2014, 10:16 PM

Mourning lol

Zo is one of the all time great defensive centers to ever play. Not to mention a kidney disease almost detailed his career in his prime, actually twice.

FlashBolt
04-03-2014, 01:58 AM
Man, this guy was an absolute defensive stopper. Physically intimidating at the rim. Sadly his condition limited his career. Well deserved.

Ebbs
04-03-2014, 02:17 AM

Mourning lol

I agree there should be an NBA and College HOF.

But you are wrong on Zo. He deserves it. Zo over Dwight.

Ebbs
04-03-2014, 02:20 AM

It's the Basketball HOF. College, international, coaching, and front office mean just as much as playing in the NBA.

It's why making the Basketball HOF is so much easier than making the NFL/MLB HOF.

Recent example is Joe Dumars. His NBA career is probably not good enough to get in. But factor in he is the 11th all time NCAA scorer, and won Executive of the Year in Detroit and was the GM during their championship, and 7 straight ECF's runs, and he is a shoe in.

He might've made it regardless.
6x All-Star
2x All NBA
5x All Defense
2 Championships
Finals MVP

Not a bad resume

Supreme LA
04-03-2014, 02:23 AM
Well deserved. One of my favorite players growing up and there aren't any big men like him anymore. The guy literally went for every block on every play. Class act as well.

effen5
04-03-2014, 02:31 AM
He might've made it regardless.
6x All-Star
2x All NBA
5x All Defense
2 Championships
Finals MVP

Not a bad resume

He only has one championship and wasn't the finals MVP...where the hell did you get those accolades from?

Nick O
04-03-2014, 02:33 AM

Mourning lol

if Nash is the lowest level player who should get in.. there wont be alot of people getting in. also Kidd won a ring ;) . but cmon man. first ballot is a bit strange to me. but Zo was a pretty dominant player escpecially before his injuries.

abe_froman
04-03-2014, 02:34 AM
Zo over Dwight.

career wise probably not.

zo's career was basically done by 30(not his fault),unless something like that happens to dwight ,he'll easily pass zo....and prime,i'd say is a toss up-defensive output is a wash,howard a much better rebounder than zo was,and the offensive production is slight edge to zo.

effen5
04-03-2014, 02:40 AM

zo's career was basically done by 30(not his fault),unless something like that happens to dwight ,he'll easily pass zo....and prime,i'd say is a toss up-defensive output is a wash,howard a much better rebounder than zo was,and the offensive production is slight edge to zo.

Wouldn't that be because Zo played against some of the most elite centers in NBA history and Dwight is playing against PFs?

lamzoka
04-03-2014, 03:04 AM
Basketball HOF is a joke anyway. it easiest one to get in out of any other sports

Im not saying he doesnt deserve to get in, but first tier should be reserve for guys like Jordan, Duncan, Kobe, Lebron, Magic, Bird, Hakeem, Kidd etc...

DudeItsZoltan
04-03-2014, 03:32 AM
He only has one championship and wasn't the finals MVP...where the hell did you get those accolades from?

that's Dumars' accolades, not Zo's

effen5
04-03-2014, 04:19 AM
that's Dumars' accolades, not Zo's

Now it makes more sense. lol.

DreamShaker
04-03-2014, 07:03 AM

They induct players and coaches and front office seperate. Lenny Wilkins was inducted as a player, and inducted later as a coach, for example.

arlubas
04-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Based on the criteria being used for the Basketball HOF he deserves it. But for me personally the HOF title should require more out of a player's career than what Zo, Ralph Sampson and the likes achieved. It should be for the absolute elite crop and while I love Zo and basically grew up with his Hornets jersey on me, he wasn't even top3 in his position for the most part of his career and that shouldn't translate into a HOF'er. But that's just my 2 cents.

PhillyFaninLA
04-03-2014, 07:38 AM

Its the basketball hall of fame not the NBA hall of fame, that is why college matters, its entire basketball career

PhillyFaninLA
04-03-2014, 07:42 AM
if Nash is the lowest level player who should get in.. there wont be alot of people getting in. also Kidd won a ring ;) . but cmon man. first ballot is a bit strange to me. but Zo was a pretty dominant player escpecially before his injuries.

I never understood why people say HOF'er but not first ballot....your either a hall of famer or you not

mike_noodles
04-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Making it on the first ballot is not the same in any other sport as it is in baseball.

PhillyFaninLA
04-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Based on the criteria being used for the Basketball HOF he deserves it. But for me personally the HOF title should require more out of a player's career than what Zo, Ralph Sampson and the likes achieved. It should be for the absolute elite crop and while I love Zo and basically grew up with his Hornets jersey on me, he wasn't even top3 in his position for the most part of his career and that shouldn't translate into a HOF'er. But that's just my 2 cents.

To be fair you have 2 of the greatest centers ever in the top 2 spots, then some really good players on top of that

arlubas
04-03-2014, 08:13 AM
To be fair you have 2 of the greatest centers ever in the top 2 spots, then some really good players on top of that
The 90s were without a doubt the golden era for big men (along with hip hop) but I still don't think Zo's career should result into a first ballot HOF induction.

torocan
04-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Given who else they've let in, I'm fine with it.

Not crazy about a first round ballot, but he would have gotten in anyway so it really doesn't make a difference.

Good for him.

ATX
04-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Well deserved. Zo played with such passion and intensity for the game. A great two way player, but his defense was just contageous. His blocks always had the crowd on their feet. Great comeback effort after his kidney disease kept him out of basketball for a time. It was great to see him get a ring, even as a backup energy defender in the twilight of his career. He was a perfect piece to that title team. A class act off the court as well. An all time favorite player of mine, as far back as his Georgetown days.

RCarlson85
04-03-2014, 11:47 AM

I wouldn't say Howard is a much better rebounder than Zo was. Maybe slightly better but also look at the competition Howard goes up against compared to the Centers that played in Zo's prime years. Also, Offensively Zo was far superior to Howard. Howard might put up similar total scoring numbers but he has no offensive game at all. Early in Zo's career her shot 3 pointers and before he his kidney disease he shot a lot of jump shots and also had great post moves. Dwight is just an alley-oop and catch and dunk guy. There's no offensive skill in his game. He would not stand a chance offensively against the centers that Zo played against in the 90's, he would be shut down.

Nick O
04-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Wouldn't that be because Zo played against some of the most elite centers in NBA history and Dwight is playing against PFs?

not really. Dwight is a freak. someone whos that tall, that big and still that athletic is a 1 in a billion type of guy. i dont think hes ever hit his full potential and i dont if he ever will. but i think Dwight would be successful at any time

Chronz
04-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Anyone else find it odd how he was at his best, shot blocking wise, in his final years?

asandhu23
04-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Alonzo Mourning deserves to be in the Hall. So does Mitch Richmond.

ewing
04-03-2014, 12:51 PM

of course it matter it is the basketball HOF, not the NBA HOF

Jamiecballer
04-03-2014, 12:53 PM
even though he was a douche who wouldn't report to TO in the Vince Carter trade i still tip my cap. loved watching this guy terrorize the paint.

NoahH
04-03-2014, 01:12 PM

Yup college / international play is part of it. Its the BASKETBALL Hall of Fame not the NBA Hall of Fame

FlashBolt
04-03-2014, 03:13 PM
NBA should have their own HOF. Basketball HOF has a completely different criteria. It's about damn time we have NBA legends only.. Not some random college coach who happened to grab all the prospects.

asandhu23
04-03-2014, 05:30 PM
NBA should have their own HOF. Basketball HOF has a completely different criteria. It's about damn time we have NBA legends only.. Not some random college coach who happened to grab all the prospects.

You think coaching college basketball is easy?

Basketball Hall of Fame will never change. It's a true international sport unlike baseball and NFL. There are multiple leagues and countries that play basketball.

slashsnake
04-03-2014, 06:00 PM

Basketball Hall of Fame will never change. It's a true international sport unlike baseball and NFL. There are multiple leagues and countries that play basketball.

I would say baseball is as international as basketball. Actually more-so. Quite a few players come from south american and asian leagues to the MLB. Haven't seen a lot of international talent make it to the NBA level coming from outside of the US college system (a few but not many).

But yeah, he deserves it. One of the best highschool basketball players ever. A georgetown great who was the best in the Big East. Throw in a 7 time all star NBA champion, 2 time defensive player of the year NBA career and he is a shoe in. He would have made it without his NBA career in my opinion.

slashsnake
04-03-2014, 06:29 PM

And I think his point wasn't that it is easier, just at a clearly lower level.

For example, winning the high school basketball player of the year award isn't easy. You have what? A million competitors for that title. Whereas winning an NBA MVP award you only have 400? You could say it is a thousand times more easy for an NBA player to win an MVP than a highschool player to win a player of the year. Same with coaching. An NBA coach has 29 potential other guys who can win a title over him. Winning the highschool womens state championship you have 500+ coaches you are competing against.

It isn't easier, just your accomplishment is on a higher level to do it in the NBA. You have to win against a team of 12 NBA caliber player for 82 games and then win 4 series against the best the league has to offer. To win an NCAA title you face what? Maybe 15 NBA level players and 3 NBA level stars the entire year?

I always found it odd that the basketball HOF included everything. Yao probably would have been a hall of famer earlier after his retirement than Michael Jordan because he would have been going in as a contributor rather than a player. Same award though.

I guess I just couldn't see a football hall of fame that had guys like Ty Detmer and Ron Dayne making it in before Peyton Manning and Adrian Peterson because they failed out of the NFL and were on the ballot sooner as a college and high school athlete.

Not against it, but it does open up a wide range of who gets in and who doesn't.

GiantsSwaGG
04-03-2014, 06:34 PM
He's not a NBA HOF

Jamiecballer
04-03-2014, 08:01 PM
He's not a NBA HOF
If Dumars is then I think Mourning has to be. Not picking on Dumars but his credentials are dubious.

GodsSon
04-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Well deserved. One of my favorite players growing up and there aren't any big men like him anymore. The guy literally went for every block on every play. Class act as well.

I wouldn't say that.

The guy whined his way out of every team he played for.

blahblahyoutoo
04-03-2014, 08:19 PM
First ballot inductee according to USA Today, won't be made official until sometime this weekend. Thoughts? Didn't think he'd get in on the first try.

what????? he's a shoe in.

NBA_Starter
04-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Congrats Zo, well deserved!

Big Zo
04-03-2014, 08:35 PM
what????? he's a shoe in.

I feel the same way, but I know a lot of others don't. Mainly because of his prime being cut short by illness.

Kaner
04-03-2014, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't say that.

The guy whined his way out of every team he played for.

all 2 of them?

He was obviously getting in first ballot isn't very surprising either. the bigger story is Mitch Richmond finally getting in

asandhu23
04-04-2014, 01:32 AM
He's not a NBA HOF

It's a basketball hall of fame, not NBA HoF. Even it was, he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

effen5
04-04-2014, 01:54 AM
not really. Dwight is a freak. someone whos that tall, that big and still that athletic is a 1 in a billion type of guy. i dont think hes ever hit his full potential and i dont if he ever will. but i think Dwight would be successful at any time

Yeah I disagree with you. Dwight would not be successful in the 90s.

Hellcrooner
04-04-2014, 07:36 AM
I would say baseball is as international as basketball. Actually more-so. Quite a few players come from south american and asian leagues to the MLB. Haven't seen a lot of international talent make it to the NBA level coming from outside of the US college system (a few but not many).

But yeah, he deserves it. One of the best highschool basketball players ever. A georgetown great who was the best in the Big East. Throw in a 7 time all star NBA champion, 2 time defensive player of the year NBA career and he is a shoe in. He would have made it without his NBA career in my opinion.

Baseball is popular around 20 countries more or less.

Thres a good level of Players in lik 8 countries, Usa, cuba, Venzuela, Puerto Rico, DOminican republica, Japan....

basket is popular WORLDWIDE in like 200 countries
There ar good level of players in DOZENS of countries argentina, Brazil, venezuela, DOminican republic, Panama, Puerto Rico, Nigeria,sudan, China, Australia, Spain, France, Germany, Russia, Ukraine, Slovenia, Serbia, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, italy, Georgia, Lithuania, Latvia, Stonia and so on and on and on.

ewing
04-04-2014, 08:40 AM
all 2 of them?

He was obviously getting in first ballot isn't very surprising either. the bigger story is Mitch Richmond finally getting in

Yes, thinking the terms of your contract don't apply to you b/c you deserve to win or don't like a city tarnishes the whple class act thing. That said, Zo was a heck of a player and the honor is well deserved. Guy played as hard as anyone you will find.

MonroeFAN
04-04-2014, 11:01 AM
If Dumars is then I think Mourning has to be. Not picking on Dumars but his credentials are dubious.

Not sure I can agree with this (homerism aside, most detroit fans don't like Dumars at this point). But it's hard to deny that Dumars was a major piece of 2 championship runs, and that Morning was a ring chaser (and a ***** ***).

It's ok with me that Alonzo made it, but it shouldn't be an easy decision and the hall is definitely trending downward.

Walt
04-04-2014, 11:14 AM
So if Jimmer and Beasley happened to make like 4 or 5 all star games in their lives (they won't), they'd actually be in a conversation on HOF since they were legends in college.

dodie53
04-04-2014, 11:53 AM
he deserves it

sixers247
04-04-2014, 11:55 AM
So if Jimmer and Beasley happened to make like 4 or 5 all star games in their lives (they won't), they'd actually be in a conversation on HOF since they were legends in college.

Beasley no, Jimmer possibly. Same goes for someone like Mcdermott. He could be awful in the NBA and still make it since his college accolades are out of this world.

slashsnake
04-04-2014, 12:07 PM

Not really. One of the best all time scorers in college, finals MVP, 6 time all star, won 2 championships as a player, one as an exec,

slashsnake
04-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Baseball is popular around 20 countries more or less.

Thres a good level of Players in lik 8 countries, Usa, cuba, Venzuela, Puerto Rico, DOminican republica, Japan....

basket is popular WORLDWIDE in like 200 countries
There ar good level of players in DOZENS of countries argentina, Brazil, venezuela, DOminican republic, Panama, Puerto Rico, Nigeria,sudan, China, Australia, Spain, France, Germany, Russia, Ukraine, Slovenia, Serbia, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, italy, Georgia, Lithuania, Latvia, Stonia and so on and on and on.

Baseball is played in other countries. 243 professional MLB players were born outside the US last year, 28% of their rosters.

For the 8 countries you listed for baseball, you know Canada has more MLB players than Japan. While the MLB has a stronger holding in south america, the NBA hold more of europe. Both have a market in Asia.

I guess the point is if all you have for foreign born players are two who crossed over into the NBA (Petrovic and Sabonis) and only ones from Europe, how does that make the international need for it?

mjm07
04-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Congrats to Zo. Definitely deserved it.

Hellcrooner
04-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Baseball is played in other countries. 243 professional MLB players were born outside the US last year, 28% of their rosters.

For the 8 countries you listed for baseball, you know Canada has more MLB players than Japan. While the MLB has a stronger holding in south america, the NBA hold more of europe. Both have a market in Asia.

I guess the point is if all you have for foreign born players are two who crossed over into the NBA (Petrovic and Sabonis) and only ones from Europe, how does that make the international need for it?

check again there are MANY MORE hofers from abroad that never played in nba.

kobe4thewinbang
04-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Man, this guy was an absolute defensive stopper. Physically intimidating at the rim. Sadly his condition limited his career. Well deserved.Ditto. Props to Big Zo.

Supreme LA
04-05-2014, 01:21 AM
Anyone else find it odd how he was at his best, shot blocking wise, in his final years?

No not really. He was relegated to being just a role player and he focused on what he did best, which was protect the rim. In his final years, he was on a team that didn't ask him to score or even distribute out of the post. He had players like Shaq, Antoine Walker, James Posey, Gary Payton, and D-Wade.

You can't always judge stats without taking other things into account. This is the biggest problem with stat heads nowadays. You guys can't wrap your heads around reasons for how numbers are produced. You just read them and regurgitate them as if they tell you everything you need to know, which they never do.

asandhu23
04-05-2014, 01:59 AM

1. Dikembe Mutombo
Hakeem Olajuwon
Dominique Wilkins
Peja Stojakovic
Vlade Divac
Tony Parker

etc, etc,etc..

2. People need to understand that basketball is played in almost every country in the world just like soccer. Baseball and American football are very limited reach wise compared to them.

slashsnake
04-05-2014, 10:42 AM
1. Dikembe Mutombo
Hakeem Olajuwon
Dominique Wilkins
Peja Stojakovic
Vlade Divac
Tony Parker

etc, etc,etc..

2. People need to understand that basketball is played in almost every country in the world just like soccer. Baseball and American football are very limited reach wise compared to them.

You are talking people with their careers in the US from the start. Georgetown and Houston aren't international play to me. They were known for what they did solely on US soil. Hakeem I thought even played for the US internationally winning gold with the US team in Atlanta, and his "international career" was soccer more than basketball. Dikembe... is he in the HOF? What did his international career consist of?

Wilkins was an american born on an american base overseas while his father was on a tour of duty there, who played for the US in international play, and only was a natural born American citizen. You are really stretching for players if you are using him as a Naismith hall of famer who shows the need to open a HOF from the NBA to international leagues as well. Honestly, I would like to see how the NCAA HOFers in the Naismith hall of fame compare to international ones currently. If there are more, well it would be no different than the NFL including the NCAA in a football hall of fame.

With Divac, Stojakovic, and Parker. I am not sure if any of them are in the basketball HOF yet.

But again, if your point is that is the reason why they made the HOF that way, well you are listing guys that only made it well after the hall of fame was started. If in the next 20 years there's 20 international football players in the NFL hall of fame, it doesn't validate the decision 50 years ago because of the international athletes.

Not disagreeing with it, but Tony Parker is making the HOF for his job as an NBA point guard, not for his 2 seasons in the defunct Paris Basket Racing league. Sure he was a great player in FIBA and that will play a part in his making it, but what did that consist of? 56 or so career games? He's played 3 times as many NBA playoff games as there.

Hellcrooner
04-05-2014, 11:18 AM
You are talking people with their careers in the US from the start. Georgetown and Houston aren't international play to me. They were known for what they did solely on US soil. Hakeem I thought even played for the US internationally winning gold with the US team in Atlanta, and his "international career" was soccer more than basketball. Dikembe... is he in the HOF? What did his international career consist of?

Wilkins was an american born on an american base overseas while his father was on a tour of duty there, who played for the US in international play, and only was a natural born American citizen. You are really stretching for players if you are using him as a Naismith hall of famer who shows the need to open a HOF from the NBA to international leagues as well. Honestly, I would like to see how the NCAA HOFers in the Naismith hall of fame compare to international ones currently. If there are more, well it would be no different than the NFL including the NCAA in a football hall of fame.

With Divac, Stojakovic, and Parker. I am not sure if any of them are in the basketball HOF yet.

But again, if your point is that is the reason why they made the HOF that way, well you are listing guys that only made it well after the hall of fame was started. If in the next 20 years there's 20 international football players in the NFL hall of fame, it doesn't validate the decision 50 years ago because of the international athletes.

Not disagreeing with it, but Tony Parker is making the HOF for his job as an NBA point guard, not for his 2 seasons in the defunct Paris Basket Racing league. Sure he was a great player in FIBA and that will play a part in his making it, but what did that consist of? 56 or so career games? He's played 3 times as many NBA playoff games as there.

Sergei Belov
Kresimir Cosic
Dino Meneghin
Drazen Dalipaglic
Maciel Pereira
Oscar Schmidt

All of them in the Hall without a single minute played in the nba

and there are some players that will son be in like Nick Gallis or Juan Antonio San Epifanio.

Dratze petrovic is in for his international play not his short nba stint

mgsports
04-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Yes and so on.

slashsnake
04-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Sergei Belov
Kresimir Cosic
Dino Meneghin
Drazen Dalipaglic
Maciel Pereira
Oscar Schmidt

All of them in the Hall without a single minute played in the nba

and there are some players that will son be in like Nick Gallis or Juan Antonio San Epifanio.

Dratze petrovic is in for his international play not his short nba stint

Thanks... Much better than trying to say Dominique was international.

I see Soveit Bloc era Eastern Europe.. and Brazil. Not exactly a "worldwide" showing in the naismith hall of fame is it?

And what? One international player in its first 40 years of its history?

It is just odd to me, kind of like their other awards. Their college player of the year (under 6 foot tall) award is a bit weird as well.

I guess it is just tough to decide who is deserving and who isn't with so many groups. Had a guy with the skill level of say a Tracy McGrady decided instead of the NBA he was playing in Europe and played a 40 game professional schedule with 10-15 games of Fiba/olympic play a year, he'd probably go down as one of the greatest international players ever and get in the HOF rather than chosen to play at the highest level of basketball.

lol, please
04-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Well deserved!! :clap: