PDA

View Full Version : Lebron James Blocks Per Game

kjoke
04-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Can someone explain to me why his blocks per game are at a career low? I'm not saying that he ever was a force when it comes to blocking, but .3 per game is pretty low

NoahH
04-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Whoa i didnt realize they were that low

Supreme LA
04-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Lebron is a beast when it comes to protecting the basket and even meeting centers at the rim. I wouldn't put too much stock into stats, they never tell the whole story. He pretty much has to carry a lot of the load for his team so it's understandable that he can't do everything all the time.

CHANGO
04-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Can someone explain to me why his blocks per game are at a career low? I'm not saying that he ever was a force when it comes to blocking, but .3 per game is pretty low

A lot of his career blocks are chasedown blocks, this year he's not going for those all the times.

Zefflin
04-03-2014, 12:37 AM
Dpoy

Chronz
04-03-2014, 12:43 AM
Athletic decline and self preservation

Hawkeye15
04-03-2014, 12:44 AM
because his freakish athletic ability is starting to decline, and he hasn't put forth the defensive effort of the past 9 years?

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-03-2014, 01:05 AM
because his freakish athletic ability is starting to decline, and he hasn't put forth the defensive effort of the past 9 years?

Not really, lebron has been good at d for 5 years.

FlashBolt
04-03-2014, 01:08 AM
I wouldn't say his athletic ability is down. Just the fact that he has to carry more of a load and sometimes it's just not worth that extra chase. Needless to say, it's not something to worry about. I'm sure when those blocks are needed, he'll meet you there.

Supreme LA
04-03-2014, 01:11 AM
I wouldn't say his athletic ability is down. Just the fact that he has to carry more of a load and sometimes it's just not worth that extra chase. Needless to say, it's not something to worry about. I'm sure when those blocks are needed, he'll meet you there.

Yeah, it definitely isn't athletic decline because the man is obviously in his prime physically. He just has to pick and choose where to help his team because it's impossible to expend that much energy at every area of the game for a constant period.

Nick O
04-03-2014, 01:17 AM
hes doing it on purpose so he could have one stat that isn't noteworthy and would cause discussion on message boards. good guy Lebron

jerellh528
04-03-2014, 01:18 AM
Eh, blocks are somewhat overrated anyways. We all know he hasn't been himself defensively this season but altering shots produces almost the same effect as a block.

Supreme LA
04-03-2014, 01:40 AM
hes doing it on purpose so he could have one stat that isn't noteworthy and would cause discussion on message boards. good guy Lebron

It's actually the other way around. I'm sure the one stat that isn't noteworthy will receive the least amount of attention and debate.

Hawkeye15
04-03-2014, 01:45 AM

I am saying he isn't even trying on that end this year by his standards.

Nick O
04-03-2014, 02:18 AM
It's actually the other way around. I'm sure the one stat that isn't noteworthy will receive the least amount of attention and debate.

nah. people like to find the little things that dont really matter and pick at them

sunsfan88
04-03-2014, 02:39 AM
He's probably f***ing tired.

Supreme LA
04-03-2014, 03:08 AM
He's probably f***ing tired.

Exactly. I'm sure he'll be contesting everything in the postseason. I don't know why people put so much stock into regular season stats. Yes, consistency is important but it shouldn't be a way of gauging a players ability. Just as people knock on Kobe for declining on defense throughout his 18 seasons, nobody can deny Kobe's defense is top notch come playoff time every year.

arlubas
04-03-2014, 07:42 AM
He is on auto pilot this season and that's not just based on this stat only. He is clearly holding back to be ready come PO time. If this was 2008 you can bet your life that he would've taken the MVP race more seriously but he just doesn't need to at this stage of his career. All that matters to him is reaching that three peat, not his BPG, not even his scoring.

Slade123
04-03-2014, 10:12 AM
He's in his prime but he's still not as athletic as he was a few years ago. But I think it has to do more with conserving energy for the playoffs. Dude's been playing non-stop through regular and post seasons.

Chronz
04-03-2014, 10:17 AM
He is on auto pilot this season and that's not just based on this stat only. He is clearly holding back to be ready come PO time. If this was 2008 you can bet your life that he would've taken the MVP race more seriously but he just doesn't need to at this stage of his career. All that matters to him is reaching that three peat, not his BPG, not even his scoring.

He's in his prime but he's still not as athletic as he was a few years ago. But I think it has to do more with conserving energy for the playoffs. Dude's been playing non-stop through regular and post seasons.

True, but thats part of aging/declining, when you have to pace yourself and limit your dominance because you know you cant hold it up for the entirety of the RS+Playoffs.

Chronz
04-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Yeah, it definitely isn't athletic decline because the man is obviously in his prime physically. He just has to pick and choose where to help his team because it's impossible to expend that much energy at every area of the game for a constant period.

Hes obviously declined physically, Im surprised you havent noticed the vast difference in his ability to create separation with his first step, he used to blow by you, now he has to attack you with his 2nd step. Since when are players in their physical prime when tipping 30?

Hate to break the news for you but having to pick and choose your spots, as opposed to chasing down blocks that help your team win whenever you see fit, is a sign of aging/decline. You didn't see Bron giving up on plays back when he had that young mans bounce.

Walt
04-03-2014, 10:56 AM
He's been coasting all year except for the OKC and Indiana games. Sucks because if he actually gave a damn he'd be putting up much better numbers. But I expect him to dominate in the postseason.

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-03-2014, 12:00 PM

I am saying he isn't even trying on that end this year by his standards.

Why do you think that is? Most likely saving himself for the playoffs.or the start of his decline?

Stinkyoutsider
04-03-2014, 12:30 PM
The real question is how many blocks the Heat average? Any blocks you can get out of your wing players is good but what about the rim protection from the bigs?

flea
04-03-2014, 12:35 PM
All players decline. Lebron never got the kind of the blocks that come from good positioning and anticipation anyway. The next step for him to remain a top player is to improve his low post D because he's going to become a liability against some 3s pretty soon (if he isn't already).

Chronz
04-03-2014, 12:44 PM
All players decline. Lebron never got the kind of the blocks that come from good positioning and anticipation anyway. The next step for him to remain a top player is to improve his low post D because he's going to become a liability against some 3s pretty soon (if he isn't already).

Amazing how he could go from having the 1-5 rep, to possibly being a liability against his natural position. His D has been that inconsistent this year. But yea, hes never been one to get alot of blocks anyhow.

koreancabbage
04-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Why do you think that is? Most likely saving himself for the playoffs.or the start of his decline?

it could be both. at 30, even though he is technically in his prime, its the tailend of it. he hasn't had that many triple doubles (i believe he got his first this year a few days/ a week ago) either.

FlashBolt
04-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Well, I mean you do have to realize that Miami isn't as good as last year as a whole and that just makes things tougher. I honestly blame Spoelstra. The rotations are just completely random. Why isn't Beasley getting more playing time? I mean I get it, you want to reward the other role players. But, it's clear Beasley is the fourth option on this team along with Ray Allen. Why the hell not? Rashard Lewis and James Jones may be a bit better defensively but Beasley can grab boards and will certainly bring some energy so that James doesn't have to create every time.

Hawkeye15
04-03-2014, 04:14 PM

both

Hawkeye15
04-03-2014, 04:18 PM
it could be both. at 30, even though he is technically in his prime, its the tailend of it. he hasn't had that many triple doubles (i believe he got his first this year a few days/ a week ago) either.

I don't get the age/prime thing. It has way more to do with the games/minutes played than age. Sure, in the 70-90's, when players stayed 4 years in college, by age 30, they were still in their prime. But LeBron was playing 40 mpg at the same age that Larry Bird was working at a gas station after dropping out of Indiana.

For example, LeBron will have played as many games as Bird did by age 30. The body can only hold up so long playing NBA minutes. Which is why I put so much stock into Kobe's longevity when ranking him. Same as KAJ.

koreancabbage
04-03-2014, 05:21 PM
I don't get the age/prime thing. It has way more to do with the games/minutes played than age. Sure, in the 70-90's, when players stayed 4 years in college, by age 30, they were still in their prime. But LeBron was playing 40 mpg at the same age that Larry Bird was working at a gas station after dropping out of Indiana.

For example, LeBron will have played as many games as Bird did by age 30. The body can only hold up so long playing NBA minutes. Which is why I put so much stock into Kobe's longevity when ranking him. Same as KAJ.

Larry had a bad back though. ended his career pretty quickly.

Lebron plays physically for most of his career. has to take a burden on the body. but players like Kobe and Ray Allen have shown time and time again, if you take care of the body, you will get to play into your late 30s easily. well Kobe - that a sham last year on what happened to him. =(

Minimal
04-03-2014, 06:04 PM
I think its because he is kind of coasting this regular season, doesn't play that hard. I'm sure his BPG is gonna rise in the playoffs.

Hawkeye15
04-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Larry had a bad back though. ended his career pretty quickly.

Lebron plays physically for most of his career. has to take a burden on the body. but players like Kobe and Ray Allen have shown time and time again, if you take care of the body, you will get to play into your late 30s easily. well Kobe - that a sham last year on what happened to him. =(

I can replace Larry with a mountain of others if that makes you happy haha.

LeBron will be able to play until he is 40 if he wants, I am saying that its beyond rare to see a guy still dominate well into his 1000th game. Years ago, that came at around age 32-34, now it comes around age 30-31. When you start playing 40 mpg right away, after 10 years, you are tired and beat up. Doesn't mean you can't play at a high level still, but we can already see his burst is less than it was, and he hasn't even looked like he is trying on defense this year.

At this point, LeBron is still amazing, but not the same guy we saw the last few years. But, as I have said all year, I think he is just coasting to some degree to make sure he can go full force in the playoffs. But isn't that a sign of decline itself?

NBA_Starter
04-03-2014, 08:19 PM
I guess he only gets the chase down blocks.

JasonJohnHorn
04-03-2014, 09:52 PM
His fouls are awfully low for a guy getting as many minutes as he is. He did get fewer fouls last year and more blocks, so that might not make much sense, but perhaps Spo has been telling him to go for altered shots rather than blocks to avoid fouls (although he'd pretty much have to shove somebody to the ground to get called for a foul).

the situation
04-03-2014, 09:53 PM
similar to what kobe did. he has to carry more offensive load, so he does less on defense. he didn't totally give up the defensive side of the ball like kobe did, though.