PDA

View Full Version : What to make of the Spurs?

torocan
04-01-2014, 07:09 AM
With last night's win, the Spurs won their 18th consecutive game and improved their record to 58-16 with 8 games left to play.

The Spurs all time franchise record is 63 wins, so going 5/8 would tie their best regular season ever and 6/8 would surpass it.

Keep in mind, this is a team that has had 50+ game winning seasons for 14 consecutive seasons prior to this year, and a 50+ game winning for 16/18 previous seasons. And the two seasons they did not have a 50+ game winning season, one was a lock out year where they won 49 games out of 72, and the other they won 47 games.

Their 18th consecutive win was their longest regular season win streak in franchise history.
They're 3.5 games ahead of their closest rival (OKC).
The player with the highest minutes played on the roster is Tony Parker at 30.1 mpg.
Their "core" players of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobli, and Tony Parker are now 37, 36, and 31.

It is quite possible that this may go down as the greatest regular season in Spurs history -- an utterly mind boggling concept given their age and how competitive the Western Conference is this year.

There are 2 first tier Championship level contenders in the West in the Spurs and OKC and 3 second tier championship contenders in The Clippers, Houston, and GSW. The Spurs have 4 Play off teams in their division (Spurs, Rockets, Dallas, Memphis), 6 of the 8 play off teams are on pace for 50+ wins, and the 7, 8 and 9 seed are all on track for 48 wins or more (44-30 with 8 games to go).

Yet somehow they are in the middle of their longest winning streak in history, and on track for their best regular season in history.

Should Pops be the coach of the Year despite the award typically going to "most improved" teams? What are the Spurs *real* chances of getting out of the West or winning the Championship? And what on earth is in the water in San Antonio?

What do you make of the Spurs?

Iron24th
04-01-2014, 07:33 AM
I would have thought that their disappointing last year loss in the Finals should break them this year, I was wrong, they're very motivated to play back to back Finals and change the result.

And I think they can do it.

nastynice
04-01-2014, 08:08 AM
They've been executing flawlessly. Its crazy to think that with all the success they've had over the past 15 years, and all the big name players they've had in their prime, that THIS would be their best regular season record. Win streak aside, they've been easily been looking like the best team in the league lately

goingfor28
04-01-2014, 08:32 AM
They on fire. Up in here. They burnin hot. They on fiiiiire.

SPURSFAN1
04-01-2014, 08:44 AM
They on fire. Up in here. They burnin hot. They on fiiiiire.

goingfor28
04-01-2014, 08:44 AM

I agree

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-01-2014, 09:36 AM
If the Spurs can hang onto home court through out I like their chances (health permitted). OKC scares the crap out of me though. Length and athleticism still gives the Spurs trouble.

beyourself
04-01-2014, 09:45 AM
They are great team.

I think when Duncan was younger and dominating in the post they were a better team though. It seems like a more playoff conducive formula.

JohnStockton
04-01-2014, 10:01 AM
I don't think the West is that 'strong', though it is deep.

OKC have been without their second best player for much of the season.
LAC lost CP3 for a big chunk of the season, and the team isn't as deep as some contenders in years past.

GSW is underachieving given their strong performance last year and the addition of Iggy.

The Rockets can be great, but they need more time together and, no offence to McHale, perhaps a better coach, though I think their primary issue is effective ball handling (a play-maker like Rondo, CP3, or hell, even Jose Calderon, would make that team much better).

That said, even teams like PHO and MIN would be posting 50+ wins in the East and struggle to get into the playoffs in the West, so the depth and overall level is much higher than the average, but it isn't like a few years ago where there was a team poised to get 50 wins AND miss the playoffs. In 08 the Warriors were on pace for 50 wins, ended up with 48 and MISSED the playoffs. The next year, the Jazz earned 48 wins and missed the playoffs as well. And the year after EVERY team in the Western conference playoffs was a 50 win team. So I think the West has been deeper and the Spurs have done very well with a more competitive West in the past.

That said... just WOW!! The Spurs are AMAZING.

Props to Pops.

JasonJohnHorn
04-01-2014, 10:06 AM
I've been picking the Spurs to win it all every year since 2006. It was there's last year. I still don't know what happened.

This year I was reluctant to pick them, but I wasn't sure who else to pick.

GrkGawdofWalkz
04-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Their offensive efficiency rating was the second best during the stretch of 18 games last night at 126.5. They stymied Paul George making him look like an average starter. It doesn't matter if Duncan has 9 points 6 rebounds and a block. The rest get it done. Whether you want to stop one, it just doesn't matter. I cannot wait for OKC, so we can end this petty debate this season and blow them out as well. Here's hoping that Duncan gets his Kobe tied fifth ring. Look out NBA. The most boring team in the NBA is ready to crush you.

todu82
04-01-2014, 12:22 PM
They're such a consistent team, will be interesting to see if they can continue their hot play into the playoffs.

flea
04-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Pop probably thinks it's hilarious that he's done a good chunk of his work this season with Patty Mills, Boris Diaw, Marco Belinelli, and Jeff Ayres as the focal points.

valade16
04-01-2014, 12:55 PM
What to make of the Spurs? How about the same thing everybody has been saying for the past 3 years?

Age will catch up to them, this is the year they fall off. They are no longer the class of the West.

I mean, if we say it enough years in a row surely it will come true right?

Chronz
04-01-2014, 01:06 PM
I cant believe Duncan is still playing at this high a level and they really have come together since Kawhi returned. Hes their X-Factor imo

cdnsportsfan
04-01-2014, 01:07 PM
The Spurs really have to be considered one of the best franchises all-time, and this team - with elder vets leading the team - is probably one of the more remarkable chapters in franchise history. I do think Pop deserves COTY for what he's done this year, working to the strengths of just about every player on his roster to keep them on top following a heartbreaking Finals loss last year. Not to mention Leonard playing amazing right now certainly helps.

Anything can happen come the playoffs, but especially if they sweep their first round series the Spurs have to be considered favourites to try and make amends for letting the title slip through their fingers last season. This team has the playoff experience necessary to take this team back to the Finals, doubt they need too much motivation to get up for another postseason run.

NoahH
04-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Pop probably thinks it's hilarious that he's done a good chunk of his work this season with Patty Mills, Boris Diaw, Marco Belinelli, and Jeff Ayres as the focal points.

Exactly lol Lakers have been trotting out a similarly skilled line-up and is getting shitkicked.

kobe4thewinbang
04-01-2014, 01:10 PM
I believe the Spurs are the most likely NBA Champions this season.
Even if Indiana implodes and loses to Miami, I see Miami losing this time.
I don't see OKC or any other WC team defeating the Spurs. Maybe a 7 game series at some point.

All-In
04-01-2014, 01:25 PM
I remember 2 years ago the Spurs won 20 in a row then lost 4 straight to OKC in the west finals….so they should be the favorites out of the west but I can still see OKC and the Clips beating them….will the spurs win streak continue into the playoffs? Doubt it….but the way they’re playing I won’t be surprised

Bring The Heat
04-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Have mad respect for this team and organization.. They are playing incredible basketball and are favorites to come out of the west no doubt... If we meet again in the finals it will be another epic battle.

P&GRealist
04-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Regular Season Team.

John Walls Era
04-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Seems to me they're not even putting their feet to the gas pedal. Usually teams go one some huge run and then die out because they get tired. Don't see it happening with the Spurs since they usually don't even play their best lineups.

jerellh528
04-01-2014, 03:14 PM
I hate to say it because I'd rather if Okc won. But they look like title favorites as of now.

P&GRealist
04-01-2014, 03:38 PM
The title favorites are still Miami, especially if Wade is healthy come playoff time.

As of right now, I have the Miami Heat 3-peating rather easily compared to their last 2 title runs.

flea
04-01-2014, 04:28 PM
I'll be interested to see Pop's rotation for the postseason. He usually runs a short bench but this year he's got his starting 5 plus Diaw/Ginobili/Belinelli that will assuredly get minutes. Then there's Patty Mills and and Jeff Ayres - both of whom are useful in certain situations. Mills particularly has played his way into real minutes in the postseason.

sammyvine
04-01-2014, 04:54 PM
amazing franchise

Chronz
04-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Regular Season Team.
that wins championships

TrueFan420
04-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Regular Season Team.

Well that regular season team is 4/5 in finals appearances.

If you're gonna try and troll a team the spurs are quite possibly the worst franchise to target.

IversonIsKrazy
04-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Simply amazing. I think the way Pops has managed everyones minutes is the most amazing thing. I mean c'mon, the most anyone is playing is 30mpg ???? Thats ****ing RIDICULOUS!

P&GRealist
04-01-2014, 07:01 PM
that wins championships

Not since they got their ***** handed to them in 2010 by the run and gun Gentry Suns, which forced Pop to change his entire style of play, and the Spurs left those days of being a defensive juggernaut and going small ball up tempo and outscoring opponents.

Their defense is still good, but no where near that era of 99-2007 when they had Timmy D and DRob the first 2 titles doing the work defensively, and then Timmy D and Bowen for the last 2 titles.

P&GRealist
04-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Well that regular season team is 4/5 in finals appearances.

If you're gonna try and troll a team the spurs are quite possibly the worst franchise to target.

Spurs Version 1.0 (Aka defensive juggernaut era): 97/98 - 09/10: 4 finals appearances and 4 titles

Spurs Version 2.0 (Aka up tempo outscoring opponents era): 10/11 - current: 1 finals appearance and biggest finals choke job in history, not counting choke job as 1 seed losing to 8 seed memphis in 2011. ZERO TITLES

SPURSFAN1
04-01-2014, 07:10 PM
I guess its a choke job manu broke his arm right before the 2011 playoffs.

P&GRealist
04-01-2014, 07:12 PM
I guess its a choke job manu broke his arm right before the 2011 playoffs.

Still should have taken care of Memphis.

P&GRealist
04-01-2014, 07:24 PM
It's funny how many excuses everyone makes for the Spurs.

And you guys seem to group these Spurs who play a completely different style of ball from the Spurs teams that were winning titles from 1999-2007.

I don't think you people understand this concept.

The version 2.0 Spurs from 2010 on can win a 60-65+ games in a blink of an eye, effortlessly.

But the last 3+ yrs, can't seem to win the big important 16 games from mid april to mid june.

If they fail to win the chip this yr, I think it's safe to say that these up tempo Spurs are just that. a REGULAR SEASON TEAM!!!!

I still see the Heat beating them rather easily in a 7 game series of the Finals.

Especially now that game 6 will be in Miami and game 7 in San Antonio.

Heat in 6.

flea
04-01-2014, 08:24 PM
The Spurs still have a top 5 defense. Just because their offense is better doesn't mean they forgot how to play defense. But then you're just trolling, so whatever.

P&GRealist
04-01-2014, 08:38 PM
The Spurs still have a top 5 defense. Just because their offense is better doesn't mean they forgot how to play defense. But then you're just trolling, so whatever.

First of all, what the **** is trolling?

And two, no, they used to be able to stop teams at will before. Those days are long and gone. These are NOT the same Spurs as those title teams.

flea
04-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Okay.

kdspurman
04-01-2014, 09:23 PM
First of all, what the **** is trolling?

And two, no, they used to be able to stop teams at will before. Those days are long and gone. These are NOT the same Spurs as those title teams.

They are an elite defensive team. But in todays NBA, those lock down teams (like Bulls/Grizz etc...) don't win it all (since that's how you quantify elite teams by championships only) In todays NBA, you need to be able to score the ball and be flexible to go small. Pop (the brilliant mind that he is) has adjusted his team and put guys in position to do that. The Spurs are the 3rd best defensive team in the league behind Indy/Chicago and there's a realistic chance they could be higher but Kawhi/Splitter/Green all missed time this year and during that span they really struggled defensively.

I think you're confusing this Spurs team with the team of 2010-2011 that really struggled defensively. Kawhi came a long and made a significant difference, along with the pairing of Duncan/Splitter, it's made a significant difference. Definitely check out the numbers on this team defensively, you might be surprised.

kdspurman
04-01-2014, 09:24 PM

Sure seems like it sometimes lol

Chronz
04-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Not since they got their ***** handed to them in 2010 by the run and gun Gentry Suns, which forced Pop to change his entire style of play, and the Spurs left those days of being a defensive juggernaut and going small ball up tempo and outscoring opponents.

Their defense is still good, but no where near that era of 99-2007 when they had Timmy D and DRob the first 2 titles doing the work defensively, and then Timmy D and Bowen for the last 2 titles.

Just tell me, is every team except for Miami a "regular season team"?

They were so close last year, you really trying to tell me there is some sort of fundamental flaw in their way of winning? If thats the case, I'd love to see this list of playoff teams that have proven more than the Spurs.

Crackadalic
04-02-2014, 12:23 AM
6 in offensive rating. 3rd in defensive rating. If your top 5 or close to it in both ratings your a title contender.

Their playing as flawless as I've seen a nba team played in this stretch

Chrisclover
04-02-2014, 01:05 AM
if they get eliminated just like in 2011,they will make history once again.
But it is really a miracle to see Spurs ' core remain intact for so many years. GDP is amazing, so is the legendary coach, Pop.

Jeffy25
04-02-2014, 01:07 AM
Just the model franchise

P&GRealist
04-02-2014, 01:16 AM
Double post

P&GRealist
04-02-2014, 01:16 AM
Just tell me, is every team except for Miami a "regular season team"?

They were so close last year, you really trying to tell me there is some sort of fundamental flaw in their way of winning? If thats the case, I'd love to see this list of playoff teams that have proven more than the Spurs.

A regular season team is a team that scorers 120 points effortlessly, blows away the competition in the standings, has multiple double digit win streaks a season, but when the playoffs roll around, they do things out of character and can't handle the pressure and/or close the deal when it matters.

Out of all the teams in the association the last 5 yrs, the Spurs fit that bill.

Chronz
04-02-2014, 01:22 AM
A regular season team is a team that scorers 120 points effortlessly, blows away the competition in the standings, has multiple double digit win streaks a season, but when the playoffs roll around, they do things out of character and can't handle the pressure and/or close the deal when it matters.

Out of all the teams in the association the last 5 yrs, the Spurs fit that bill.

You didn't answer the question. What other teams do you hold in higher regard?

Jarvo
04-02-2014, 01:49 AM
I just want The Spurs to win The Finals :hope: my heart still hurts from last year.

JJ_JKidd
04-02-2014, 02:32 AM
Oh a Spurs thread? What happened to all the Lob City, Durantula, Beard, etc talks? Oh I get it, the regular season is almost over so its best that we dont talk about these regular season teams that will eventually fold in the playoffs and just focus on the been-there-done-that-Spurs.

Plat
04-02-2014, 02:53 AM
They are looking like the favorites to win it all

Chrisclover
04-02-2014, 03:08 AM
some fans do not like the Spurs much because of the tedious plays. Pop does not cater to some fans who want to see hero ball.
If Pop were in a team with a bigger market, can he stick to his own philosophy for 14 +years?Will he be affected by some fans and media ?

tredigs
04-02-2014, 04:57 AM
They're the best team in the NBA and have the inside track at the title this season. Not much else to say but that.

WadeKobe
04-02-2014, 05:43 AM
Maybe we should just acknowledge that they really might be the best team in basketball?

punkz
04-02-2014, 06:46 AM
Real mindboggling how some people in this forum don't appreciate what the spurs are doing or have been doing for over the last decade.

While half the league is tanking to get that one player they believe is going to be a franchise saver, the spurs have been at the top of the league with guys like mills, belinelli, green, splitter (the list goes on) and I wouldn't consider duncan, ginobli or maybe even parker franchise players at this stage in their careers, which makes them even more impressive.

I'm a raptor fan and spurs model is the exactly the model I want them to follow.

If we cannot get a ball dominant superstar to come play for us, might as well go the opposite route and bring in pass-first, team-first players with strong fundamentals on both ends of the court who play the game in a very efficient manner. One might think this style is boring, but it sure beats the frustration you get from losing.

Snapshot
04-02-2014, 08:40 AM
They aren't winning anything. I remember a few seasons ago they went on a crazy streak going into the PO's and I told my boys that was the worst thing they could have done, because the law of averages are now against them, they were due a couple losses, and boy oh boy did they get em, when I believe OKC basically swept em 4 straight.

Here we are again, they're on a crazy streak, and just like before the losses are gonna catch up to em, whether its the 1st, 2nd, WCF, or Finals, those losses will surely come....so no, they aint winning **** this year...facts.

tredigs
04-02-2014, 10:33 AM
They aren't winning anything. I remember a few seasons ago they went on a crazy streak going into the PO's and I told my boys that was the worst thing they could have done, because the law of averages are now against them, they were due a couple losses, and boy oh boy did they get em, when I believe OKC basically swept em 4 straight.

Here we are again, they're on a crazy streak, and just like before the losses are gonna catch up to em, whether its the 1st, 2nd, WCF, or Finals, those losses will surely come....so no, they aint winning **** this year...facts.

I'm not entirely sure you understand law of averages or playoff/matchup dynamics as a whole.

torocan
04-02-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm not entirely sure you understand law of averages or playoff/matchup dynamics as a whole.

No point debating. Calling the current WCF champions a "regular season" team tells us everything we need to know.

Using his standard, 29/30 teams in the NBA would qualify as a "regular season" teams...

BALLER R
04-02-2014, 11:52 AM
I want them to win it all this year. If they make it to the finals and I think they will. I don't care who they face I can't see them losing.

kdspurman
04-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Miami is still the team to beat until someone can beat them 4 times in a series.

But I do know SA is hungry, and extremely motivated after last years finals. They are better than last years team, but then again, the West in general is better too. They are winning at home on the road, with different lineups, close game situations, with defense or with offense.. Winning in a variety of ways which gives Pop an idea of what will succeed in certain situations in the playoffs.

I know Pop is hoping for a loss soon to refocus them before the playoffs, but we'll see what happens. Right now, these guys just need to stay healthy. Everyone will be fresh come playoff time because of how Pop manages their minutes. Parker is playing the most minutes (30.1 mpg) and even he around the all star break had like 18 days off. Fatigue won't be an issue

Chronz
04-02-2014, 12:36 PM
Oh a Spurs thread? What happened to all the Lob City, Durantula, Beard, etc talks? Oh I get it, the regular season is almost over so its best that we dont talk about these regular season teams that will eventually fold in the playoffs and just focus on the been-there-done-that-Spurs.

Exactly right, if the Spurs are a regular season team, then every team outside of Miami is a regular season team. In which case, the person with this line of thinking has a very jaded view of the NBA.

king4day
04-02-2014, 01:16 PM
As things stand, I don't think anyone is beating them this season. They've done a great job at a few things.

1. Managing the stars' minutes.
2. Staying healthy (no season enders for the big 3 or important bench players).
3. Excellent scouting and continuously replacing lost talent (Belinelli was a brilliant pickup).
4. Being lucky that they have a guy like Duncan who has the talent where most teams would offer a max deal and the player would accept it. He sacrificed money for success and it would be a lie to say it's not a huge part of the teams success.

mortizgarcia
04-02-2014, 01:49 PM

Lol at the bolded bit,

Anyway since they drafted and developed Kawhi you just cannot say they are a bad defensive team just look at last years finals, they didn't completely stop Lebron but there were spells where he could just get absolutely nothing, since their first round loss against Memphis a couple of years ago they have only lost 10 out of 35 games so I don't know how that makes them a regular season team, injuries have played their part in them falling in the playoffs but to say that a team that has had winning season after winning season and 4 rings with the same core group for the last decade is just plain stupid, I guess the fact that OKC has only one final appearance in the last couple of years and lost against a lower seed last year makes them a regular season team as well right?

kdspurman
04-02-2014, 05:52 PM

smith&wesson
04-02-2014, 06:14 PM
I cant believe Duncan is still playing at this high a level and they really have come together since Kawhi returned. Hes their X-Factor imo

+1 duncan ageing like fine wine.

MrfadeawayJB
04-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Pops is coach of the generation right there with Phil and red. Wonder if he leaves if SA goes down. His system is amazing and makes scrubs look good

P&GRealist
04-02-2014, 06:32 PM
All of this is just hoopla and sexy talk if the Spurs don't win it at the end.

torocan
04-02-2014, 06:33 PM

Now THAT is mind boggling....

punkz
04-02-2014, 06:58 PM

Those are some serious numbers, numbers that can only be put up by regular season teams...

Scary thing is I believe the Spurs will continue to win this way even w/o their Big 3 in the future.

P&GRealist
04-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Can these extraordinary historical numbers translate into an NBA Championship???

That's what remains to be seen.

SPURSFAN1
04-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Can these extraordinary historical numbers translate into an NBA Championship???

That's what remains to be seen.

You still didn't answer the question. It's okay though.

kjoke
04-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Their confidence in the 3 point shot is what makes them a very scary team

P&GRealist
04-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Their confidence in the 3 point shot is what makes them a very scary team
Their inability to close the deal when it matters is what DOES NOT make them a scary team.

kdspurman
04-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Their inability to close the deal when it matters is what DOES NOT make them a scary team.

lol... your posts are really something. out of curiosity, who is scary to you?

P&GRealist
04-02-2014, 09:19 PM
lol... your posts are really something. out of curiosity, who is scary to you?
Miami.

No else has shown me that they've made any improvements significant enough from last yr to be able to take them down in a 7 game series.

I don't believe in the cliche crap 'make it competitive' and 'give them a run for their money'.

Yanks All Day
04-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Miami.

No else has shown me that they've made any improvements significant enough from last yr to be able to take them down in a 7 game series.

I don't believe in the cliche crap 'make it competitive' and 'give them a run for their money'.

I mean, San Antonio had Miami dead to rights last year. It was much more than just competitive. Game 6 was won on a prayer and Game 7 was back and forth all game. Either team could have won that series. Miami just happened to.

San Antonio is a machine. When they have lost in the past, a major injury had to do with it. Now, they've been healthy and their role players have looked fantastic. Not to mention the emergence of Kawhi Leonard. They're realistically the only team in the NBA that can beat the Heat in a 7 game series (with how Indy has looked).

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-02-2014, 10:53 PM
There is no point in watching this years playoffs. The NBA should just hand Miami the trophy and call it a season. Every other team is just a regular season team.

I mean Miami was so dominant last year that they only needed 7 games to win a title. IIRC Miami dominated the entire series, and it's not like one FT or defensive rebound would have changed the outcome at all.

D-Leethal
04-02-2014, 11:12 PM
I let my boner do the talking when it comes to the Spurs.

FlashBolt
04-03-2014, 02:00 AM
I don't think this team is better than last year but what do you think of it? Remember everyone saying how they were 1-10 against elite teams? Now this? Wow, who can actually take them out?

sunsfan88
04-03-2014, 02:13 AM
Couldn't you just have posted this here?

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?860384-What-to-make-of-the-Spurs

Do we really need 4 threads about Spurs, their coaches and their players on front page?

effen5
04-03-2014, 02:27 AM
Is this a serious thread or is OP jealous and I think the SAS is going to win it all this year.

FlashBolt
04-03-2014, 02:43 AM
Is this a serious thread or is OP jealous and I think the SAS is going to win it all this year.

The hostility in this one if strong. Must be tough to make friends when you're this hardheaded.

P&GRealist
04-03-2014, 02:49 AM
There is no point in watching this years playoffs. The NBA should just hand Miami the trophy and call it a season. Every other team is just a regular season team.

I mean Miami was so dominant last year that they only needed 7 games to win a title. IIRC Miami dominated the entire series, and it's not like one FT or defensive rebound would have changed the outcome at all.
Ch- ch- ch- ch-

CHOKE!!!!!!!!!!!

P&GRealist
04-03-2014, 03:33 AM
Fluke.

Show me you can win a title playing this new system of ball that is different from the 99, 03, 05 and 07 titles.

Double digit win streaks are cute, but at the end, they mean absolutely nothing if ur not the one holding the trophy at the end.

JayW_1023
04-03-2014, 03:40 AM
A Spurs fan wouldn't care less about this damn streak. Not after what happened in the finals.

numba1CHANGsta
04-03-2014, 03:58 AM
Its a fluke! be careful, the Spurs will be worn down come playoff time.

Kyben36
04-03-2014, 05:38 AM
How many years in a row do we have to ask ourselves if the Spurs are real contenders or flukes, they are legit guys, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007.

sammyvine
04-03-2014, 05:39 AM
people always underestimate the spurs

JasonJohnHorn
04-03-2014, 07:13 AM
FLUKE!! I mean, what are the odd that a team can be THIS good for THIS long and not simply just be lucky? Four championships, 5 finals appearances, 50+ win season (or equivalent winning percentages) every year since 98? I mean, come on. What are the chances of a team ACTUALLY being that amazing. They just get luck every season that the really good teams have bad games against them, and rebounds just fall in their hands off the glass. And players for some reason don't shoot as well when Tim Duncan is guarding him because he has a good luck charm or something.

They are simply a statistical anomaly.

DreamShaker
04-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Didn't they go on a similar streak in 2012? But the Spurs have as good of chance as anyone. They came as close as you possibly could last year.

DreamShaker
04-03-2014, 07:25 AM
FLUKE!! I mean, what are the odd that a team can be THIS good for THIS long and not simply just be lucky? Four championships, 5 finals appearances, 50+ win season (or equivalent winning percentages) every year since 98? I mean, come on. What are the chances of a team ACTUALLY being that amazing. They just get luck every season that the really good teams have bad games against them, and rebounds just fall in their hands off the glass. And players for some reason don't shoot as well when Tim Duncan is guarding him because he has a good luck charm or something.

They are simply a statistical anomaly.

Lol.

arlubas
04-03-2014, 07:30 AM
The Spurs have always had regular season success. Whether that translates into postseason success this year (which most people view as only winning the title, when in reality it's not) remains to be seen, because there were seasons of theirs in recent memory where they just couldn't produce as effectively when PO basketball started.

PhillyFaninLA
04-03-2014, 07:35 AM
(See past decade)

kdspurman
04-03-2014, 08:53 AM
I don't think this team is better than last year but what do you think of it? Remember everyone saying how they were 1-10 against elite teams? Now this? Wow, who can actually take them out?

This team is better than last years. Diaw is playing better/more aggressive than last season, Manu is having a bounce back season, Belinelli is an upgrade over Neal, and Patty Mills is playing great off the bench.

That being said, at the end of the day especially in the west, anything can happen. But I do know these guys are hungry/motivated after last years finals.

torocan
04-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Its a fluke! be careful, the Spurs will be worn down come playoff time.

You are SO right!

What is Pops thinking running his players so much this close to the play offs? I mean, Tony Parker for 30 MPG? Tim Duncan playing 29 MPG? Manu Ginobli playing 23 MPG? You gotta rest them Pops... you gotta rest them!

At this rate, they'll barely be walking once they hit the play offs...

kdspurman
04-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Fluke.

Show me you can win a title playing this new system of ball that is different from the 99, 03, 05 and 07 titles.

Double digit win streaks are cute, but at the end, they mean absolutely nothing if ur not the one holding the trophy at the end.

Didn't Dallas play a similar system? Hell even Miami plays similar to how to how the Spurs do. Not always as efficient or pretty, but very similar. It's really hard to tell if your posts are for real or if you just spit out some of this nonsense.

NYKnickFanatic
04-03-2014, 10:09 AM
I think the Spurs are the only team that can QUIETLY win 19 games in a row!

Imagine if it was the Heat, they would be all over ESPN.

They always fly under the radar, it's amazing, and I think they prefer it that way.

ldawg
04-03-2014, 10:13 AM
franchise of the decade.

Chronz
04-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Miami.

So do you like, always pick the champion to repeat? Just when exactly do you go against the champs? Like give me a scenario where you decided to go with a different team, aside from the reigning champ.

Chronz
04-03-2014, 10:52 AM
You still didn't answer the question. It's okay though.

Could you imagine being a fan who needs to see things happen in order to believe they could. Im wondering just how often he applies this method, sounds too lazy to take seriously but Im still curious.

kdspurman
04-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Could you imagine being a fan who needs to see things happen in order to believe they could. Im wondering just how often he applies this method, sounds too lazy to take seriously but Im still curious.

It's pointless trying to understand that guy. I couldn't imagine being like that. I realize how many teams there are with a real shot of winning a title. I think most people do.

torocan
04-03-2014, 10:55 AM
I think the Spurs are the only team that can QUIETLY win 19 games in a row!

Imagine if it was the Heat, they would be all over ESPN.

They always fly under the radar, it's amazing, and I think they prefer it that way.

They do. Pops hates the limelight. He feels it distracts the team from the real goal, which is winning.

And looking at the Pacers, it's pretty hard to argue...

Heediot
04-03-2014, 11:37 AM
I think they will make it to the WCF Max. Last year was the deepest they are going to get in the remaining Duncan years.

cdnsportsfan
04-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Someone over at r/NBA pointed out that currently the Spurs (.594%) sit second only to the Lakers (.615%) in terms of total win percentage as a basketball franchise http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/

Granted this takes everything into account - NBA, ABA, everything. And there are a bunch of variables, like total years in existence and time spent in what league. Some teams have many more years to work with, thinking most notables are the Lakers, Celtics and Sixers - their high winning percentages seem all the more impressive when that is taken into account.

So this does still leave some things open to debate unless a point in time people can regard as like a 'modern era' of basketball can be determined and accepted by all moving forward (yeah I know, not gonna happen!).

Still though, interesting stuff here!

Phenom1
04-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Just like every year, i think they'll choke in the playoffs

Chronz
04-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Is losing always choking?

NYKnickFanatic
04-03-2014, 02:33 PM

In PSD land...yes.

P&GRealist
04-03-2014, 04:17 PM
How many years in a row do we have to ask ourselves if the Spurs are real contenders or flukes, they are legit guys, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007.

Wrong.

These Spurs are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from those title teams.

Defense juggernaut half court back then, to outscoring opponents small ball now.

P&GRealist
04-03-2014, 04:17 PM
So do you like, always pick the champion to repeat? Just when exactly do you go against the champs? Like give me a scenario where you decided to go with a different team, aside from the reigning champ.

When that defending champion doesn't have a top 10 player like a LeBron or Kobe.

P&GRealist
04-03-2014, 04:19 PM

When you have the championship in the graps of your hands with 40 seconds to go, and your head coach makes suspect substitutions which cost you that game as well as the following game.

YES!

P&GRealist
04-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Spurs.

Shut me up by ACTUALLY winning the title this time and not choking it away. PLEASE!

THAT'S IT!

SPURSFAN1
04-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Dude sorry to tell you but Lakers suck.

bootleg42
04-03-2014, 04:27 PM
The Spurs are more likely to win the title than every other team out there not named the Miami Heat. That's what to make of them.

kdspurman
04-03-2014, 04:36 PM

If he's a lakers fan, then it makes sense why he's so upset that the Spurs didn't win. Especially if he's a Kobe stan... Makes a lot of sense.

SPURSFAN1
04-03-2014, 04:38 PM
If he's a lakers fan, then it makes sense why he's so upset that the Spurs didn't win. Especially if he's a Kobe stan... Makes a lot of sense.

Yeah he's a laker fan. hahahaha

Chronz
04-03-2014, 04:54 PM
When that defending champion doesn't have a top 10 player like a LeBron or Kobe.
Sounds like you were surprised to find them lose plenty then.

When you have the championship in the graps of your hands with 40 seconds to go, and your head coach makes suspect substitutions which cost you that game as well as the following game.

YES!
So then we agree, its better to choke than not even come close to winning. To me choking is something else entirely.

P&GRealist
04-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Sounds like you were surprised to find them lose plenty then.

So then we agree, its better to choke than not even come close to winning. To me choking is something else entirely.
I'm sorry, but after last yr's debacle, I don't trust the Spurs very much in crunchtime.

Can you blame me?

Chronz
04-03-2014, 05:41 PM
I'm sorry, but after last yr's debacle, I don't trust the Spurs very much in crunchtime.

Can you blame me?

Yes, especially given how flukishly random clutchness is, remember when Robert Horry bricked every shot for the Lakers vs the Spurs, remember him looking so bad that the Lakers didn't even bring him back. He went on to hit big shots for the Spurs soon enough. When you come that close to winning a title, its preposterous to suggest there's a fundamental flaw with their approach.

As it is, you've already admitted that no team aside from Miami is worthy of contender status, so its a stance that shows how extreme you view the league, and a stance that has proven fallible in the past, so believe me when I say, nobody is taking offense. Feel free to hate as you wish.

P&GRealist
04-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Yes, especially given how flukishly random clutchness is, remember when Robert Horry bricked every shot for the Lakers vs the Spurs, remember him looking so bad that the Lakers didn't even bring him back. He went on to hit big shots for the Spurs soon enough. When you come that close to winning a title, its preposterous to suggest there's a fundamental flaw with their approach.

As it is, you've already admitted that no team aside from Miami is worthy of contender status, so its a stance that shows how extreme you view the league, and a stance that has proven fallible in the past, so believe me when I say, nobody is taking offense. Feel free to hate as you wish.

This has nothing to do with clutchness.

This is having the lead with 40 seconds left and not ******** the bed.

And guess what, THEY **** THE BED! ESPECIALLY POPOVICH AND HIS END GAME SUBSTITUTIONS!

MARK MY WORDS...

The San Antonio Spurs WILL NOT win the NBA Championship!

YOU DEAL WITH IT!

P&GRealist
04-03-2014, 05:55 PM

This has NOTHING to do with the Lakers.

Stay on topic son.

SPURSFAN1
04-03-2014, 05:55 PM

And guess what, THEY **** THE BED! ESPECIALLY POPOVICH AND HIS END GAME SUBSTITUTIONS!

MARK MY WORDS...

YOU DEAL WITH IT!

I've said it time and time again. Non-Spurs fans took it harder than Real Spurs fans. Why get so upset/angry/aggravated at a team you don't even root for?

deaner
04-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Obviously Austin Daye put them over the top.

SPURSFAN1
04-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Obviously Austin Daye put them over the top.

:laugh:

NBA_Starter
04-03-2014, 08:21 PM
The Spurs are on a mission, it is hard to see them being denied a championship.

DillyDill
04-03-2014, 08:27 PM
I've said it time and time again. Non-Spurs fans took it harder than Real Spurs fans. Why get so upset/angry/aggravated at a team you don't even root for?

Why do you think non Spur fans took it harder than true 1's?

TheMightyHumph
04-03-2014, 08:27 PM
You consider the Spurs winners until if/when they lose.

NBA_Starter
04-03-2014, 08:45 PM
You consider the Spurs winners until if/when they lose.

Very well said, never underestimated.

P&GRealist
04-03-2014, 10:13 PM
No defense Spurs.

P&GRealist
04-03-2014, 10:16 PM
put a fork in that winning streak. It's over ladies.

kdspurman
04-03-2014, 10:45 PM
No defense Spurs.

3rd best defensive team in the league? Your troll attempts man. At least know your facts

P&GRealist
04-03-2014, 10:47 PM
3rd best defensive team in the league? Your troll attempts man. At least know your facts

I was simply talking about tonight's game.

Why so sore?

kdspurman
04-03-2014, 10:50 PM
I was simply talking about tonight's game.

Why so sore?

Oh.. So you're a game by game kind of guy. Not looking at the larger sample size. Or the fact that spurs were playing 5 games in 7 nights while okc has been off 3 days.

Just saying man, some of the stuff you say sounds foolish and I try to give more accurate info to you

P&GRealist
04-04-2014, 12:19 AM
Oh.. So you're a game by game kind of guy. Not looking at the larger sample size. Or the fact that spurs were playing 5 games in 7 nights while okc has been off 3 days.

Just saying man, some of the stuff you say sounds foolish and I try to give more accurate info to you

I appreciate your accurate info. Thank you.

But I'm still not impressed by the Spurs by any measure until I see them win the whole thing.

Way too many bright moments, and then everything ends in a blink of an eye for them.

2011: Best record in the West, 1 seed lose to 8 seed Memphis

2012: 10 straight wins to end the regular season and 10 straight wins to start the postseason (20 straight), only to end their season on a back-end series sweep with 4 straight losses.

2013: dominate the West playoffs capping off with the sweep of the Grizz in the WCF. Hold 2-1 and 3-2 leads in the finals and just 40 seconds away from the title with the lead, and they blow it at the end of game 6 regulation and OT, have to go into game 7, and blow that at the end too.

Too many teaser moments from the Spurs over the last 4 yrs with nothing to show for it at the end.

CLOSE THE DEAL DAMMIT!

I don't want to have to add to this list:

2014: 19 game winning steak and best record in the LEAGUE, and lose again in the playoffs.

Stop teasing and get it DONE!!!

P&GRealist
04-04-2014, 12:21 AM
And don't give me that 4 title crap. The identity of these offensive firepower Spurs the last 4 yrs is different identity and philosophy wise from the defensive juggernaut that won titles up to 2007.

flea
04-04-2014, 12:34 AM
Repeating the same wrong-headed axioms in the face of evidence proving the counter (Spurs are a top 5 defense this and last season) is called trolling.

P&GRealist
04-04-2014, 12:40 AM
Repeating the same wrong-headed axioms in the face of evidence proving the counter (Spurs are a top 5 defense this and last season) is called trolling.

The principles are not the same and how they stop teams.

Even with Timmy, the spurs have no one else who truly is a deterrent in the paint. Gone are the days of having Duncan or Robinson or an enforcer like Malik Rose or Kevin Willis or the lanky arms of a Nesterovic or Robert Horry with the defense of a Bowen or captain Captain Jack or Jerome kersey out on the perimeter.

P&GRealist
04-04-2014, 12:41 AM
Now all you have is Duncan and Kawhi. Who else on that team can be a true consistent deterrent against the other offensive powerhouses in this league in a 7 game series like Miami and OKC?

mrblisterdundee
04-04-2014, 04:57 AM
Proper playing time and front office management.

MikefromMars
04-04-2014, 08:52 AM

But I'm still not impressed by the Spurs by any measure until I see them win the whole thing.

Way too many bright moments, and then everything ends in a blink of an eye for them.

2012: 10 straight wins to end the regular season and 10 straight wins to start the postseason (20 straight), only to end their season on a back-end series sweep with 4 straight losses.

2013: dominate the West playoffs capping off with the sweep of the Grizz in the WCF. Hold 2-1 and 3-2 leads in the finals and just 40 seconds away from the title with the lead, and they blow it at the end of game 6 regulation and OT, have to go into game 7, and blow that at the end too.

Too many teaser moments from the Spurs over the last 4 yrs with nothing to show for it at the end.

CLOSE THE DEAL DAMMIT!

2014: 19 game winning steak and best record in the LEAGUE, and lose again in the playoffs.

Fans WISH thier team had success like that the last 4 yrs. All you're pointing out is the Spurs were in the thick of it every yr. You're really hedging your bets taking 29 teams vs 1. Are you telling us if Miami doesn't win the entire thing, that team is nothing but a regular season poser? Or are you willing to man-up and tell us which team is not the regular season team and guarantee your winner?

Great teams can lose games. It happens. That being said, it's obvious the Spurs are the favorite going into the playoffs.

arlubas
04-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Inb4 people actually start calling the Spurs losers.

PS: I love this thread, great comedy factor!

flea
04-04-2014, 01:02 PM
The principles are not the same and how they stop teams.

Even with Timmy, the spurs have no one else who truly is a deterrent in the paint. Gone are the days of having Duncan or Robinson or an enforcer like Malik Rose or Kevin Willis or the lanky arms of a Nesterovic or Robert Horry with the defense of a Bowen or captain Captain Jack or Jerome kersey out on the perimeter.

Yeah their rotation includes more perimeter guys. Know why? Because that's who they have to defend. Different players, same result. For some reason you're taking that to mean different players, different result.

P&GRealist
04-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Fans WISH thier team had success like that the last 4 yrs. All you're pointing out is the Spurs were in the thick of it every yr. You're really hedging your bets taking 29 teams vs 1. Are you telling us if Miami doesn't win the entire thing, that team is nothing but a regular season poser? Or are you willing to man-up and tell us which team is not the regular season team and guarantee your winner?

Great teams can lose games. It happens. That being said, it's obvious the Spurs are the favorite going into the playoffs.

If Miami didn't win this yr, I wouldn't call them reg season posers, because those group of guys with their style of play are all champs (90% of them).

Other than Pop and his OLD 3, no one knows on that Spurs team what it feels like to win a championship.

P&GRealist
04-04-2014, 01:18 PM

Not sure where this comedy factor is coming from.

Chronz
04-04-2014, 01:28 PM

Indeed,
Imagine being in the 60's/70's and questioning whether Jerry West and the Lakers had what it took to win a title.

Or in the 80's thinking the same of Hakeem and MJ.

90's with Shaq

Some people have to see it to believe it, others know the true nature of the game. What was it KG said, ANYTHING is possible. A method of having to see it to believe it has no sort of predictive value, its one thing to say the odds of San Antonio winning are slim but to imply an absolute impossibility is ignorant. Flimsy logic at best.

Chronz
04-04-2014, 01:31 PM
If Miami didn't win this yr, I wouldn't call them reg season posers, because those group of guys with their style of play are all champs (90% of them).

Other than Pop and his OLD 3, no one knows on that Spurs team what it feels like to win a championship.

In essence, you have a cut off of what 1,2 years back in time you can go? Pretty much the only guys you see winning are the guys who have just recently won it all. Not very insightful to me

P&GRealist
04-04-2014, 01:41 PM
In essence, you have a cut off of what 1,2 years back in time you can go? Pretty much the only guys you see winning are the guys who have just recently won it all. Not very insightful to me

When you have the best player in the world, when you have that 2nd option healthy relative to the last 2 postseasons, and when you have the best 3 pt shooter in NBA history on your side, and you've seen every team this yr, but haven't seen that a huge leap of improvement from last season, why wouldn't you pick the Heat to win it all again?

The Heat are virtually better than last yr by just having a healthy Wade as opposed to the last 2 postseasons.

Chronz
04-04-2014, 01:41 PM

Which they were within whiskers of doing last year, which is why the rest of the world views them as contenders.

Injured Duncan/Manu right before the playoffs didn't help.

Back end series sweep doesn't change the fact that it was a 6 game series against a very talented OKC team, that if were playing today, I would agree to side with you on them. That team is battling injury concerns of their own today however and must get through a tougher road IMO.

Only 1 team wins it all, to have come as close as the Spurs did is actually the best way to lose. A simple luck of the bounce would have won it for them, for you to put any weight on them losing this way doesn't add up.

Better to show teaser moments than not show up at all. You only have 1 team in the league that you dont consider to be a regular season team, thats Miami. So the Spurs being the 2nd best team isn't a diss in my book.

CLOSE THE DEAL DAMMIT!

It would be a failure to win, given their dominance, thats about the only thing we agree on. I just dont assume failure based on flimsy logic.

P&GRealist
04-04-2014, 01:43 PM
You have your opinions, and I have mine.

Chronz
04-04-2014, 01:45 PM
When you have the best player in the world, when you have that 2nd option healthy relative to the last 2 postseasons, and when you have the best 3 pt shooter in NBA history on your side, and you've seen every team this yr, but haven't seen that a huge leap of improvement from last season, why wouldn't you pick the Heat to win it all again?

The Heat are virtually better than last yr by just having a healthy Wade as opposed to the last 2 postseasons.

Its a long way to the Finals, if Wade plays at a relatively healthy level, then yea. I would favor Miami too under that scenario, Im just saying that doesn't make the Spurs a non-threat for the title. Regular season team implies something wrong with their fundamental approach to the game. Like the Suns back in the Nash days were viewed under that lens, its unfair to do that of this Spurs team, just like it would be if Dirk/Kobe had that kind of support in place today. Would you call a Kobe led 60win team a "Regular season team", what about Magic and Kareem back in their days?

Chronz
04-04-2014, 01:54 PM
You have your opinions, and I have mine.

No doubt, Im just wondering what do you do in years in which its obvious the repeat champ isn't looking like a contender?

Like say after the Mavs won it all, who did you have as the favorite?

And I saw your breakdown of the Spurs, they did play Horry and Duncan, is that really so much more devastating defensively than today?

P&GRealist
04-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Its a long way to the Finals, if Wade plays at a relatively healthy level, then yea. I would favor Miami too under that scenario, Im just saying that doesn't make the Spurs a non-threat for the title. Regular season team implies something wrong with their fundamental approach to the game. Like the Suns back in the Nash days were viewed under that lens, its unfair to do that of this Spurs team, just like it would be if Dirk/Kobe had that kind of support in place today. Would you call a Kobe led 60win team a "Regular season team", what about Magic and Kareem back in their days?

I NEVER said the Spurs are a non-threat to the title. I just said I don't think they will win it and that they are a sensational regular season team that has yet to close the deal these last 4 yrs.

What will this be? 3 time #1 seed entering the playoffs in the last 4 yrs?

I would like for atleast 1 of those #1 seeds (they should have HCA throughout the entire playoffs) translate into a championship.

I'm rooting for the Spurs to win it all. I WANT them to win it all.

But I fear they will disappoint and break my heart like last yrs finals again.

kdspurman
04-04-2014, 02:00 PM

Actually, the red mamba also has a ring.

MikefromMars
04-04-2014, 02:03 PM

Matt Bonner... HELLO : P

P&GRealist
04-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Actually, the red mamba also has a ring.

Not sure if he's a significant part of Pop's rotation, but I'm sure he can be a swell lockerroom presence.

kdspurman
04-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Not sure if he's a significant part of Pop's rotation, but I'm sure he can be a swell lockerroom presence.

lol.. not as much this season. last year he was fairly significant in a few playoff series

P&GRealist
04-04-2014, 02:41 PM
My question to all of you is, can a healthy Spurs team take down a healthy Miami team?

I mean both teams at full strength?

Chronz
04-04-2014, 03:50 PM

MARK MY WORDS...

YOU DEAL WITH IT!

That has everything to do with clutchness aka randomness. They could have **** the bed the exact same way and still come away with the victory if not for the friendliest of bounces. The negative picture your trying to paint doesn't diminish them.

Chronz
04-04-2014, 03:56 PM
I NEVER said the Spurs are a non-threat to the title.
So then labeling a team that succeeds only in the regular season is suppose to mean what exactly? That they have a chance? Your labeling makes no sense if thats the case.

I just said I don't think they will win it and that they are a sensational regular season team that has yet to close the deal these last 4 yrs.
Sounds like you're backtracking now, so now you're saying that they could be more than just a regular season team, THIS YEAR. Thats a good start.

What will this be? 3 time #1 seed entering the playoffs in the last 4 yrs?
I broke down what I thought of those playoff seedings.

I would like for atleast 1 of those #1 seeds (they should have HCA throughout the entire playoffs) translate into a championship.
The NBA doesn't work that way, the best teams tend to win but there are other variables at play. The fact that you are most often in contention is doing better than anyone who doesn't actually win the title. So as a unit, they are to be as respected as much as 99% of the league. Calling them just a regular season team is an empty insult, because in reality, they are still among the best in the NBA.

I'm rooting for the Spurs to win it all. I WANT them to win it all.

But I fear they will disappoint and break my heart like last yrs finals again.

Im rooting against them, hoping to make bank with my Clippers pick.

Snapshot
04-04-2014, 04:28 PM
^^^U wont be making any "bank" rooting for the Clips, they have the hardest road to the Finals of all the teams out west.

For one, they might get bumped in RD 1 by GS, if they happen to advance they now have to play OKC, not good...and then, after all that, more than likely its SA, not good...and then ofc, Miami...so no...just, no, not happening.

P&GRealist
04-04-2014, 04:48 PM
So then labeling a team that succeeds only in the regular season is suppose to mean what exactly? That they have a chance? Your labeling makes no sense if thats the case.

Sounds like you're backtracking now, so now you're saying that they could be more than just a regular season team, THIS YEAR. Thats a good start.

I broke down what I thought of those playoff seedings.

The NBA doesn't work that way, the best teams tend to win but there are other variables at play. The fact that you are most often in contention is doing better than anyone who doesn't actually win the title. So as a unit, they are to be as respected as much as 99% of the league. Calling them just a regular season team is an empty insult, because in reality, they are still among the best in the NBA.

Im rooting against them, hoping to make bank with my Clippers pick.
They are a regular season team.

Just like the 08-09 and 09-10 Cavs.

Chronz
04-04-2014, 05:02 PM
Look I get that you only respect champions, but you have to understand how empty of an insult it is to call someone a regular season team considering it applies for all but 1 team a year. Since you've admitted they do indeed have a chance of winning, there is nothing remotely insulting about the moniker.

Chronz
04-04-2014, 05:05 PM
They are a regular season team.

Just like the 08-09 and 09-10 Cavs.

I dont see the comparison. Unless regular season team means any team that didn't win, like the Lakers that lost in the Finals and went onto win the next year....

Chronz
04-04-2014, 05:07 PM
^^^U wont be making any "bank" rooting for the Clips, they have the hardest road to the Finals of all the teams out west.

For one, they might get bumped in RD 1 by GS, if they happen to advance they now have to play OKC, not good...and then, after all that, more than likely its SA, not good...and then ofc, Miami...so no...just, no, not happening.

I dont think any team has it considerably harder but if thats the route they take, then at least they're not facing Memphis