PDA

View Full Version : Is Demarcus Cousins the best big man in the NBA?

pupsingh
04-01-2014, 03:14 AM
if not, who is?

Hawkeye15
04-01-2014, 03:17 AM
Gasol
Love
Griffin
Howard
Dirk
Hibbert
Noah

take them all for starters

Duncan = Donkey
04-01-2014, 03:21 AM
Anthony Davis is better.

Hawkeye15
04-01-2014, 03:22 AM
Anthony Davis is better.

him too

pupsingh
04-01-2014, 03:23 AM
DMC abused him tonight.

Duncan = Donkey
04-01-2014, 03:27 AM
DMC abused him tonight.

I didnt watch the game. But using one head to head match up is funny

AIverson
04-01-2014, 03:38 AM
Nope. Give me Anthony Davis along with a handful of other bigs. Good player though. You won't see me hate on him.

jerellh528
04-01-2014, 03:42 AM
Its between love, Davis, and griffin

sep11ie
04-01-2014, 05:07 AM
I see why this thread was needed for the 36th time

JeffG20
04-01-2014, 05:36 AM
I didnt watch the game. But using one head to head match up is funny

especially coming off a bum ankle

Iron24th
04-01-2014, 07:03 AM
DMC is a headcase, but you can't deny he's one of the better bigs actually, top 5

GrkGawdofWalkz
04-01-2014, 11:16 AM
if not, who is?

Tim Duncan until he retires. DeMarcus Cousins and Andre Drummond are definitely the next wave of big men who can potentially dominate. Pick or choose, you're not wrong.

unleashthebeast
04-01-2014, 11:19 AM
AD, Duncan, Howard, Marc Gasol, Noah, and Love are all big men that I am still taking over DMC. He is in the next tier though

monty77
04-01-2014, 11:53 AM
I am a fan of Shaquille O'Neal. I am not even a Lakers fan but this guy was the more profitable assets any team could have, the most dominant player in the league. Cousins is different from him but there are any player in the league more similar to him, unfortunately.

Demarcus can score outside the paint and O'Neal couldn't, but he isn't as good as Shaq was regarding attack the rim. There are more differences but he looks like Shaq at first sight. He is very strong, maybe a little shorter, but if he gain some muscle weight he could be unstoppable within a few years.

If big man = center, it could be possible he becomes the best big man in the NBA sooner than later. He have to make Kings a winner team as the first requirement. I don't know if Cousins-Gay is a proper duo, but I have no doubt both of them are very talented players.

Nowadays, Howard, Marc Gasol and Noah are more determinant player than he is. I don't take into account players as Albridge, A.Davis and Duncan, who can play as centers but don't use to. I'll put him in the same step than Horford and Pekovic. But there are a difference: none of them will improve as much as him. Neither Hordford nor Pekovic will be able to become the best center in the league ever.

Cousins is a top 5 at center position currently. Within 1-2 years he could overpass Gasol and Noah without a problem if Sacramento becomes a playoff team. The doubt is if players as Vucevic, Embiid or Drummons will do the same.

The only matter is his ethic work, as he must improve his actitude and momentum too, if he wants to keep the top 5 big man position in the league, if he does, I have no doubt, he will be an allstar for 6-8 years.

JEDean89
04-01-2014, 01:36 PM
my big problem with DMC is his rim protection. He is not a defensive anchor and that's what you need from the C position. Because of this give me AD who protects the rim like a 7 footer and plays offense like a SF.

Kaner
04-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Love and Howard are top 2

I'd take Griffin, Noah, Davis, Duncan, and Gasol over DMC too

Cracka2HI!
04-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Oh April Fools, I get it!

Kelly Gruber
04-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Chuck Hayes

NoahH
04-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Unibrow Freak is much better than Boogie IMO

pupsingh
04-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Unibrow Freak is much better than Boogie IMO

anthony davis is a better defender. Cousins is a better scorer, rebounder, passer, shooter...so basically everything else

THE MTL
04-01-2014, 07:54 PM
Maybe not the best, but def the most skilled

Clippersfan86
04-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Love, Griffin, Howard and Davis (not in particular order) are the best bigs in the game. Then you have Cousins, Noah, Gasol and some others on the second tier IMO. Noah lately is top 3 but not all season if anybody wants to know why I have him in tier 2.

arlubas
04-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Is there any doubt he is, at this point? He's been beasting on guys all year long this season, all he needs to do is check his head and he's set. That's a pretty big if though.

AddiX
04-03-2014, 09:22 AM
If dmc actually cared he would be the best no doubt about it. I get mad watching him, his talent is insane.

Unfortunately he's happy where he stands in the NBA. I'd love to see what he could do with real motivation and work ethic. He does things out there that are so athletic, where I forget just how big he is. Not normal for big guys to move like that.

DerekRE_3
04-03-2014, 01:10 PM
If dmc actually cared he would be the best no doubt about it. I get mad watching him, his talent is insane.

Unfortunately he's happy where he stands in the NBA. I'd love to see what he could do with real motivation and work ethic. He does things out there that are so athletic, where I forget just how big he is. Not normal for big guys to move like that.

I don't think you can question his passion for the game. He just doesn't go about it the right way consistently.

imbetterthanyou
04-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Are we talking low post scoring big men? Then yes probably. If you say Duncan or Dwight then I'm ok with it. If youre talking about tall players then I'd rather Davis, Nowitzki, Love, Noah and as I said you can argue Duncan or Dwight. Either way he's bullied his way into the discussion. He's just had a remarkable season and hes only 23 years old

Anyone who calls him a bad defender doesn't watch him and doesn't look at statistics. Hes making strides defensively, has active hands and is improving with his rotations tremendously. He is absolutely a sub par shot blocker, but adept at drawing charges in lieu of that.

To the person who questions his work ethic and his motivation you simply dont know what youre talking about. DMC gets so upset cause he cares so damn much. DMC gets t'd up for complaining, some rightfully so and some not, and he does have his share of mind numbing incidents like the Elliott confrontation and punching Beverley but Blake Griffin is 2nd to Cousins in the league in techs and nobody views him the way they view Cousins. Blake is a competitor on a winning team with techs and his antics and DMC is a loser and a crybaby cause Sac doesn't win anything.

Overall DMC has taken tons of steps forward this year and not a whole lot back. I'm pleased with his direction and I look forward to more improvement next year.

Tony_Starks
04-03-2014, 01:55 PM
I still have Blake over him because he's a better passer. If he could step his passing game up I'd easily call him the best Big, everything else is there.

Tony_Starks
04-03-2014, 01:58 PM

For someone that "doesn't care" he's still pretty damn impressive. His "don't care" numbers are better than most bigs that care.

DerekRE_3
04-03-2014, 02:03 PM
For someone that "doesn't care" he's still pretty damn impressive. His "don't care" numbers are better than most bigs that care.

It's pretty clear watching him play that he cares a lot. Maybe too much. That's what gets him in trouble.

SPURSFAN1
04-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Duncan Dominates Cousins all the fu..ing time. People must not watch kings vs spurs games. Also duncan is a sure thing down the stretch. He wins ball games.

imbetterthanyou
04-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Duncan Dominates Cousins all the fu..ing time. People must not watch kings vs spurs games. Also duncan is a sure thing down the stretch. He wins ball games.

I dont mean to say this that it automatically means Cousins is better because one-on-ones are overrated but:

12/29:
Cousins 29 pts 11-23/7-9FTM 14 REB
Duncan 17 pts 8-17/1-1FTM 13 REB

2/1:
Cousins DNP - injury
Duncan 23 pts 8-13/7-12FTM 17 REB

3/21:
Cousins 15 pts 7-18/1-2 FTM 13 REB 5 AST
Duncan 10 pts 3-12/4-6 FTM 9 REB 6 AST

I left out assists on the other two games cause they were both insignifcant numbers. But hardly dominating Cousins. So....we should try a diff argument

smith&wesson
04-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Gasol
Love
Griffin
Howard
Dirk
Hibbert
Noah

take them all for starters

are we talking big men in general ? or C's ??

Heres the problem I have with bringing pf's in to the convo. Guys like drik, love, davis are pf's and have played at the 4 all season long, where as DMC has played C. I know that some big men are interchangable but we are talking about the C position so we should keep it in percpective.

its like saying whos the best sg and then bringing a sf in the convo who can also play sg. if thats the case then lebron is the best sg, sf, pf and maybe even pg since he is a faciliatator too lol...

DMC is a C and we want to compare him to other C's. With that in mind I will say that DMC will be among the best C's in the league for years to come... He isnt there just yet as guys like Noah still get my vote over him.

But If were talking about a two way C who can be effective on both ends of the floor, and impact the game on both ends, DMC is going to be right up there. I agree guys like Marc gasol, noah, and some others are still ahead of him but if he continues to develop and keeps his head on right and focused on basketball he could dominate.

Question is, can he keep his temper in check and remain focused on basketball and how bad does he want to work towards becoming a dominant C and taking his game to that next level. its all on him, he has a great opportunity.

FlashBolt
04-03-2014, 03:04 PM
He will be if he can learn to defend and stop acting like a child. He's received plenty of help from elite/ex-elite players in regards to his behavior. He's agile, strong, and swift. He can definitely improve.

SPURSFAN1
04-03-2014, 03:12 PM
I dont mean to say this that it automatically means Cousins is better because one-on-ones are overrated but:

12/29:
Cousins 29 pts 11-23/7-9FTM 14 REB
Duncan 17 pts 8-17/1-1FTM 13 REB

2/1:
Cousins DNP - injury
Duncan 23 pts 8-13/7-12FTM 17 REB

3/21:
Cousins 15 pts 7-18/1-2 FTM 13 REB 5 AST
Duncan 10 pts 3-12/4-6 FTM 9 REB 6 AST

I left out assists on the other two games cause they were both insignifcant numbers. But hardly dominating Cousins. So....we should try a diff argument

Do you watch the games or do you just look at box scores?

imbetterthanyou
04-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Do you watch the games or do you just look at box scores?

Are you the first person that thinks box scores have no indication on how a game is played? Both times they played Cousins outrebounded Duncan so I'm curious for you to explain how you can get outrebounded and perform better in that aspect in game than in the box score. Duncan must have boxed out Cousins on every other play allowing all other Spurs to grab rebounds. Ok solved that. Offensively, Duncan must have set much better picks both games cause he managed to shoot 3-12 in the 2nd meeting and somehow dominate offensively. The only time your argument holds weight is on the defensive end. Duncan is a much better all around defensively. Alters players shots and blocks shots in ways that Cousins cant.

Dont throw around words like dominate when its clearly not the case. I'm not saying Cousins is definitely better, but in no way shape or form does Duncan dominate him "all the ********ing time"

Come correct and come with some good points if youre gonna make a blanket statement like that

SPURSFAN1
04-03-2014, 03:23 PM
I mean does cousins even play defense? I'm sure duncan does. That's why cousins can keep posting these empty stats and never be a winner. Kings are barely better than this years lakers. How many more years until you realize you can't build a franchise around this guy?

SPURSFAN1
04-03-2014, 03:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVVaMEHmvAE

FlashBolt
04-03-2014, 03:34 PM
I mean does cousins even play defense? I'm sure duncan does. That's why cousins can keep posting these empty stats and never be a winner. Kings are barely better than this years lakers. How many more years until you realize you can't build a franchise around this guy?

C'mon. He's only 23 and no one here is saying he's better than Duncan.

imbetterthanyou
04-03-2014, 03:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVVaMEHmvAE

So youre using a video from last year after were talking about his most obvious improvement being this year. I can post videos too. Look below. Doesnt mean Cousins owns Duncan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LghOV5FpSE

SPURSFAN1
04-03-2014, 03:46 PM
So youre using a video from last year after were talking about his most obvious improvement being this year. I can post videos too. Look below. Doesnt mean Cousins owns Duncan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LghOV5FpSE

Mine shows you a story. Yours is like a picture. hahahahahaha. Dude 37 year old duncan is better than cousins. Not even trying to hate. I just can't believe people think that. It's outrageous to Tim Duncan.

SPURSFAN1
04-03-2014, 03:50 PM
C'mon. He's only 23 and no one here is saying he's better than Duncan.

I just don't understand how people think they have the best big man in the league and are a .300 team.

Walt
04-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Mine shows you a story. Yours is like a picture. hahahahahaha. Dude 37 year old duncan is better than cousins. Not even trying to hate. I just can't believe people think that. It's outrageous to Tim Duncan.

36 year old Dirk is better as well.

koreancabbage
04-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Tim Duncan until he retires. DeMarcus Cousins and Andre Drummond are definitely the next wave of big men who can potentially dominate. Pick or choose, you're not wrong.

Drummond is nowhere close to the top of best big men. however, I would have him in a shortlist of 10-15 big men, near the bottom. and comparing him and Cousins. btw Cousins is soo much better than Drummond.

Tony_Starks
04-03-2014, 05:55 PM
It's pretty clear watching him play that he cares a lot. Maybe too much. That's what gets him in trouble.

Very true. It's funny though, put him on a winning team and I guarantee the narrative about him would be completely different.....

koreancabbage
04-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Very true. It's funny though, put him on a winning team and I guarantee the narrative about him would be completely different.....

well Cousins has to be part of that equation. he's detrimental - haha get it, mental - when he takes those silly techs when he doesn't get his way. he just needs to grow up is mostly. He has a couple of fringe star players around him and he's the focus of the offense.

I'm not saying the .300 record is his fault but he's got to start acting and playing like a winner instead of playing no defense and getting techs.

True Sports Fan
04-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Cousins has actually controlled his temper for the second half of the season for the most part. Dude is gonna be scary good if he continues to make strides like this season

Rentzias
04-04-2014, 11:45 AM
anthony davis is a better defender. Cousins is a better scorer, rebounder, passer, shooter...so basically everything else
Marginally on the others, and shooting, no.