PDA

View Full Version : GT: NY Rangers @ Colorado Avalanche

metswon69
03-31-2014, 07:48 PM
http://www.elisanet.fi/arigrafix/images/rangers.gif @ http://www.elisanet.fi/arigrafix/images/avalanche.gif

Rangers (42-30-4) Vs Avalanche (47-21-6)
When: April 3rd, 2014
Time: 9:00 PM
Where: Pepsi Center
Channel: MSG

http://www.dougloudenback.com/thunder/denver.pepsicenter2.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/be90a0a40b137a062b12870f1593eb37/tumblr_n2tefnp3Ua1rucqw0o1_500.gif

SLY WILLIAMS
04-03-2014, 02:46 PM
If our home record was comparable to prior seasons we would be up there or ahead of the Penguins in our division.

Would it surprise people to know we are not really scoring as much as we did in prior seasons? Here are the stats:

2013-2014 2.65 goals per game 17th in league A Vigneault
2012-2013 2.62 15th J Tortorella
2011-2012 2.71 11th J Tortorella
2010-2011 2.73 17th J Tortorella
2009-2010 2.67 16th J Tortorella
2008-2009 2.44 28th T Renney (fired after 61 games)

I was shocked when I saw this; it seems like our offense is materially better than years past. I don't know what to make of this, if anything, but I was surprised.

I think our offense is better in some ways that do not always show up in the stats. Also the stats may reflect our horrible start. I think we have more of a chance of getting key goals by lines 2-4 now. I think we play more offensively now and with more speed....but our 1st line is not a dominant scoring line.

J4KOP99
04-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Mcd is out tn per NHL network

Redfish
04-03-2014, 03:10 PM
I think our offense is better in some ways that do not always show up in the stats. Also the stats may reflect our horrible start. I think we have more of a chance of getting key goals by lines 2-4 now. I think we play more offensively now and with more speed....but our 1st line is not a dominant scoring line.

Over the course of an 82-game season, I tend to think injuries, slumps, winning streaks, bad/good bounces tend to even out and the results reflect a fair profile of a team. 77 games into the season I think where we are at is a good representation. Like I said, I don't know what to make of this. I am trying to distinguish between a more entertaining brand of hockey, which this team clearly offers, versus a more offensively productive one, which the stats suggest we are not. One thing I am not sure about is the overall trend within the league on goal scoring; i.e., is scoring down, overall? If so, our production is probably better relatively speaking than prior years. Also, have rule changes pertaining to the area around the goal or goalie equipment played any factor? I'm not sure. I really enjoy the fact we have reasonably good scoring capabilities throughout the lineup but I think the stats probably speak for themselves and do not lie; maybe the shooting % is also down sharply from prior years and it is a one-off phenomena. Again, not sure, but while more "watchable" (as our fearless leader would say), the stats are what they are. It's not a big deal, but I recall how in past years we struggled so much to try and win 2-1, 1-0; it is perplexing to think this team is not better offensively than teams of the past 4 seasons.

SLY WILLIAMS
04-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Over the course of an 82-game season, I tend to think injuries, slumps, winning streaks, bad/good bounces tend to even out and the results reflect a fair profile of a team. 77 games into the season I think where we are at is a good representation. Like I said, I don't know what to make of this. I am trying to distinguish between a more entertaining brand of hockey, which this team clearly offers, versus a more offensively productive one, which the stats suggest we are not. One thing I am not sure about is the overall trend within the league on goal scoring; i.e., is scoring down, overall? If so, our production is probably better relatively speaking than prior years. Also, have rule changes pertaining to the area around the goal or goalie equipment played any factor? I'm not sure. I really enjoy the fact we have reasonably good scoring capabilities throughout the lineup but I think the stats probably speak for themselves and do not lie; maybe the shooting % is also down sharply from prior years and it is a one-off phenomena. Again, not sure, but while more "watchable" (as our fearless leader would say), the stats are what they are. It's not a big deal, but I recall how in past years we struggled so much to try and win 2-1, 1-0; it is perplexing to think this team is not better offensively than teams of the past 4 seasons.

I have more faith in this team to come back when down 2 goals. I think our 3rd line is a lot more potent than our 3rd line of the past. I think guys like Boyle are finally playing on the 4th line where they should be. McD is also more of a offensive force. Our 2nd line produces about average for a 2nd line. I do not think we are a great offensive team but I do think we are a better offensive team not because we have better personal as much as we play a system that is more conducive to retaining the puck and playing with speed. The stats are close but I do take them with a grain of salt. We have had to replace Gabs who scored 40 goals and 80 points twice in the last 4 seasons. We do not have that on our first line anymore.

Redfish
04-03-2014, 05:02 PM
I have more faith in this team to come back when down 2 goals. I think our 3rd line is a lot more potent than our 3rd line of the past. I think guys like Boyle are finally playing on the 4th line where they should be. McD is also more of a offensive force. Our 2nd line produces about average for a 2nd line. I do not think we are a great offensive team but I do think we are a better offensive team not because we have better personal as much as we play a system that is more conducive to retaining the puck and playing with speed. The stats are close but I do take them with a grain of salt. We have had to replace Gabs who scored 40 goals and 80 points twice in the last 4 seasons. We do not have that on our first line anymore.

Those are all fair points. I also have more faith in this team to come back when down 2 goals. Your last point , I think, hits the nail on the head: our production from lines 2 through 4 seems much better; we are missing the 1st line production, it seems. 40 goals is a lot of goals from one player.

To your point on 1st line production and players playing on the lines which maximize their skills, I am hoping the Rangers make an attempt to acquire Ryan O'Reilly during the offseason. He is a first line LW; clearly a hole on this team, and this would allow Kreider to play what I think is his more natural 2nd line LW position. I like the fact Kreider hasn't wilted from 1st line responsibilities -- it really speaks volumes about his upside prospectively --- but I think he needs a few years as 2nd line LW to really fulfill his capabilities. O'Reilly had a nasty contract dispute last time around with the Avs; with arbitration rights going into this off-season, I think there is a chance of another fall-out between player and team, so 'd like to see an aggressive move for him.

Redfish
04-03-2014, 05:28 PM

I guess the following statistics show that offense is only half the equation:

5v5 Goals For/Against Ratio

2013-2014 1.06 11th in league
2012-2013 1.30 3rd
2011-2012 1.14 6th
2010-2011 1.09 10th
2009-2010 1.06 11th

so, to me, the takeaway from these stats is, while we play a more entertaining style of hockey (because visually it seems like we are a more explosive team offensively), the team is not producing as many goals per game than past years, yet it is giving up more goals per game; hence, the club has a 5v5 goals for/goals against ratio that is comparable to 2010-2011 (the first full year under Tortorella). The big difference is this year, our power play ranks about 10th-12th on a consistent basis, whereas in prior years it was a horrible 23rd or so on a consistent basis.

I think for AV to have the kind of success he probably thinks this team can accomplish, he needs to figure out a way to extract more goals during 5v5 situations, or we need to acquire more goal production. This is exactly where MSL comes into play: all these stats are essentially pre-MSL and we all have to believe his goal scoring going forward will more closely resemble his historical production.

Well. my apologies for coming across as a stat wonk ( I really am not) but I think it is fairly interesting how this team is transitioning from more recent years. Still a work in progress but numerous reasons to be hopeful.

metswon69
04-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Big game tonight. Sucks Mcdonagh is out but its important to get him healthy for the playoffs. I would like to get the better seed over Philly but the NHL playoffs are so hard to predict that being at full strength or close to it should be priority.

I wonder how Kreider is progressing.

bsi
04-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Our offense would be fine with more consistancy from our top guys.

Redfish
04-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Other than MSL, I don't see any of our players producing more than they already have over the past 77 games. MSL, due to switching teams, personal pressure, etc...is a different story He should and will perform better. That may be enough to push this team forward, though we have lost Kreider's production.

J4KOP99
04-03-2014, 11:34 PM
****ing hell

J4KOP99
04-03-2014, 11:51 PM
One minute left and they couldn't close it out. Bad loss

nyr2002nyr
04-03-2014, 11:56 PM

I thought for sure Dan was gonna clear that puck.

I don't like Nash not shooting in the SO either

bsi
04-04-2014, 12:05 AM
Other than MSL, I don't see any of our players producing more than they already have over the past 77 games. MSL, due to switching teams, personal pressure, etc...is a different story He should and will perform better. That may be enough to push this team forward, though we have lost Kreider's production.

Ya I think Stepan has been better but we need Nash, Richards, St.Louis and even Brassard doing more on the offensive side of things more consistantly. I mean I like all those guys but they need to do more on thr point side of things, they are all playing well defensively but just need more offense out of them nightly.

Redfish
04-04-2014, 08:03 AM
When the Avs gave up a 1st and 3rd round pick for Semyon Varlamov, I thought they were nuts. But, like most trades that cannot be judged for several years, maybe that wasn't the case at all. At 26yrs old, he could prove to be one of the best in the league for a long time still.

Redfish
04-04-2014, 08:10 AM
Btw does anyone have any decent insight into what Miller did or didn't do, off ice, to contribute to his demotion back to Hartford? AV's public comments along the lines of "I hope he figures it out; otherwise he will be a good minor league player" seemed a bit harsh at first but there have been comments on other boards that Miller's off ice actions played a big part in the decision. Our play-by-lay announcers last evening suggested it wasn't entirely due to on-ice performance as well. Just curious.

mudvayne387
04-04-2014, 08:25 AM

I don't really consider this a bad loss. It was the last game of a successful road trip, they still grabbed a much needed point, and they were without arguably their best player.

Disappointing ? Maybe, but the Ave's are one of the best in the West.

nyr2002nyr
04-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Btw does anyone have any decent insight into what Miller did or didn't do, off ice, to contribute to his demotion back to Hartford? AV's public comments along the lines of "I hope he figures it out; otherwise he will be a good minor league player" seemed a bit harsh at first but there have been comments on other boards that Miller's off ice actions played a big part in the decision. Our play-by-lay announcers last evening suggested it wasn't entirely due to on-ice performance as well. Just curious.

I read that and wondered myself. Since AV hasnt really said much about the players in the media it said a lot to me i wonder whats up

SLY WILLIAMS
04-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Very tough way to lose a game. I know we have won a few like that in the past so I guess I should not make a big deal out of it.

I thought AV's comments about JT including off ice were strong. I wonder if it has something to do with training or maturity. JT is still a young kid. He will get plenty of chances.

Where the heck are we going to fit JT, Oscar, Fast and Kristo?

Redfish
04-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Very tough way to lose a game. I know we have won a few like that in the past so I guess I should not make a big deal out of it.

I thought AV's comments about JT including off ice were strong. I wonder if it has something to do with training or maturity. JT is still a young kid. He will get plenty of chances.

Where the heck are we going to fit JT, Oscar, Fast and Kristo?

With MSL and Zuccarello on the team, I see no future for Fast, another crafty but small player. It's unfortunate, but I just don't see the Rangers being willing to have three under-sized forwards in the lineup.

Kristo may be traded as well this off-season; he becomes an unrestricted free agent if he does not play 82 NHL games before the 2015-2016 season. I kind of view his situation as similar to P.A. Paranteau when he was with the Rangers; he needs to play for a weaker club to see if he can make it in the NHL. His defensive game has not been sufficient for most NHL teams, though.

Also, Sather mentioned the possibility of restocking on draft picks this summer when discussing the Callahan trade; Fast and Kristo seem like the odd players out, so to speak.

I believe we will all be surprised with Lindberg down the road, and expect the Rangers to remain committed to his development and opportunity with the club; same for JT. In terms of where they fit, it remains to be seen but, if they can play, spots will be available. If Miller were breaking down the doors, for example, it just gives Sather trading flexibility to package an existing forward into a trade for another asset we need, and give a shot to a prospect. I think it is more an issue of when these players will be ready than whether a spot will be open.