PDA

View Full Version : Victorino to the DL

-Lavigne43-
03-31-2014, 10:51 AM
Boston Red Sox ‏@RedSox 9m
#RedSox Place OF Shane Victorino on DL; Recall OF Jackie Bradley Jr. from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Was hoping he'd be healthier this year. He was already banged up with various issues in spring training, and now his hamstring puts him on the dl. The last two years of his deal could be rough.

bagwell368
03-31-2014, 11:25 AM
Boston Red Sox ‏@RedSox 9m
#RedSox Place OF Shane Victorino on DL; Recall OF Jackie Bradley Jr. from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Was hoping he'd be healthier this year. He was already banged up with various issues in spring training, and now his hamstring puts him on the dl. The last two years of his deal could be rough.

He played about 20 games last year he should have missed. My bet is his rWAR in '14 and '15 total will be lower than '13

todu82
03-31-2014, 11:30 AM
To bad, hopefully his stay on the DL will be a short 1.

Nomar
03-31-2014, 02:40 PM
Jeez we're gonna get murdered by LHP

Tragedy
04-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Thank god we have a competent weapon like JBJ to fill in......

Station 13
04-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Brentz is a RF isn't he?

bagwell368
04-02-2014, 07:28 AM
Brentz is a RF isn't he?

Yeah. But the question is can he hit MLB pitching to be an above .640 OPS hitter this year? I have my doubts.

RedSoxtober
04-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Yeah. But the question is can he hit MLB pitching to be an above .640 OPS hitter this year? I have my doubts.

Given that SV is not expected to be out for too long, I wouldn't have minded giving Brentz a shot. It's a perfect setting for it if you think he's got a chance: relatively low expectations, definite time limit on the stint, pitchers in season-opening condition. This is all the more true if JBJr is the 5th OF while SV is out; they could use a PH as much as a PR at the end of the game.

Station 13
04-02-2014, 01:54 PM

He has some pop, OPS'ed .640 probably attainable.

Bradley is a back up in CF right now, so roster is not flexible.

bagwell368
04-04-2014, 11:39 AM
His flu is so bad he's not coming to the park to get his ring (per 98.5). Throw in his thumb, rehab on his leg - and I think we can forget him coming off the DL in two weeks. Maybe 3 to 4 weeks is more like it.

Well I hope the JBJ must play crowd will be quiet. He looked over matched in Baltimore. While SV is on the DL he should get 1-2 starts a week and a few coming into the game for D in th 7th, and shipped back to AAA so he can get more PA's that he needs to get ready for the ML.

bagwell368
04-04-2014, 01:01 PM
He has some pop, OPS'ed .640 probably attainable.

Bradley is a back up in CF right now, so roster is not flexible.

Brentz started in Lowell in 2010, last year in AAA he was: .264/.312/.475. He'll be 26 years old in December - probably with no ML PA's outside of call-ups (if then). I don't think unless he busts out big time this year he'll be any more than a 4th OF in the Majors for 1-4 years.

RedSoxtober
04-04-2014, 04:52 PM
His flu is so bad he's not coming to the park to get his ring (per 98.5). Throw in his thumb, rehab on his leg - and I think we can forget him coming off the DL in two weeks. Maybe 3 to 4 weeks is more like it.

The team has told him to stay away so he doesn't get anyone else sick. The papers were reporting that a couple days ago. End result may be the same.

Station 13
04-05-2014, 08:49 AM
Saw Vic yesterday, yes he couldn't miss once in a lifetime event.

RedSoxtober
04-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Shane Victorino’s flu-like symptoms have eased, but the team is still trying to isolate him. The Sox hope that toward the end of the week the right fielder (hamstring) will start to ramp up his cardio and baseball activities so the team can get a better handle on when he will be ready to go on a rehab assignment. . . .
Boston Herald

This could be a pretty prolonged absence. I'd guess at least a week just to ramp up cardio and a week or more to get some resemblance of timing. Could be close to May before we see him...

Which leads me to ask about the OF once again. JBJr seems less overwhelmed at the plate, at least last night. If he maintains the upward trend and Nava continues to be challenged in the field, anyone else think Daniel could be the odd man out? His .160BABIP (yeah, only a week, I know) is making him look like an easy choice at the moment.

Shaiza
04-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Boston Herald

This could be a pretty prolonged absence. I'd guess at least a week just to ramp up cardio and a week or more to get some resemblance of timing. Could be close to May before we see him...

Which leads me to ask about the OF once again. JBJr seems less overwhelmed at the plate, at least last night. If he maintains the upward trend and Nava continues to be challenged in the field, anyone else think Daniel could be the odd man out? His .160BABIP (yeah, only a week, I know) is making him look like an easy choice at the moment.

I think you're right. If Nava continues to go in a downward trend, he really could be the odd man out. Not sure how much trade value he'd have at that point, but it's probably worth looking into.

I think ultimately, his versatility keeps him here, with someone like Carp being the odd man out. JBJ would have to continue to perform well to not get sent down, because that is probably the easiest option for the Sox when Vic is ready to return.

MG956
04-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Boston Herald

There are a lot of things I would want to do before I shipped Nava down the road. Carp is the guy I won't miss.

-Lavigne43-
04-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Nava had bad months last year, they won't give up on him if he has a bad April. Carp can barely play the field, and I don't believe in his hitting. In a situation where JBjr stays he is definitely the one that goes. It would be a hard decision to keep JBjr up though. What happens if Grady and Victorino get injured? We have an outfield of Gomes-JBjr-Nava with nothing behind them. Our OF depth situation could be perilous. Unless JBjr has great numbers I think he goes down.

bagwell368
04-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Nava had bad months last year, they won't give up on him if he has a bad April. Carp can barely play the field, and I don't believe in his hitting. In a situation where JBjr stays he is definitely the one that goes. It would be a hard decision to keep JBjr up though. What happens if Grady and Victorino get injured? We have an outfield of Gomes-JBjr-Nava with nothing behind them. Our OF depth situation could be perilous. Unless JBjr has great numbers I think he goes down.

It could be 3 or 4 weeks before SV is back, by then some things may have shaken out. I agree Carp is the guy that goes if it's a trade. But if JBJ is the best fielding OF (he is today), and hitting say .310/.360/.440 how can you justify sending him down if he's your best hitting OF?

I think for fielding/health reasons JBJ has to stay. For other reasons including RHH you've got to keep Gomes and SV up on the roster and playing. Sizemore seems to be the kind of guy that stays unless he's DL. That's 4, Nava makes 5.

A rotation that could be in place mid season is:

RF: SV (5 out of 7 games)
RF: JBJ (2 out of 7 games)
CF: Sizemore (4 out of 7 games)
CF: JBJ (3 out of 7 games)
RF: Nava/Gomes

So it's straight platoon in LF, and days off rotation in CF and RF to keep the old guys healthy. Some like Sizemore in LF, but you're going to have to axe either Gomes or Nava, but then you're dead if there is an injury or two.

Station 13
04-09-2014, 09:13 PM
heard during the telecast he lost 7-8 lbs after the flu. But he is starting baseball activity any day now.

RedSoxtober
04-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Manager John Farrell admitted the Red Sox already have considered how they could keep Bradley in the majors even after Victorino returns and field a defensively superior outfield that would consist of Bradley, Victorino and Grady Sizemore.

“All of those alignments are thought of,” Farrell said. “How we get to that point remains to be seen with roster adjustments. The one thing that continues to bear out is the outfield defense and placing a premium on that.”

In order to keep Bradley on the roster, the Sox likely would have to make a move with one of their other outfielders. Daniel Nava and Jonny Gomes have formed a productive platoon in left field, while Mike Carp has been valuable as a hitter off the bench. The Sox received some trade interest in Carp during spring training.Boston Herald

RedSoxtober
04-10-2014, 12:46 PM
What happens if Grady and Victorino get injured? We have an outfield of Gomes-JBjr-Nava with nothing behind them. Our OF depth situation could be perilous. Unless JBjr has great numbers I think he goes down.

How does that change if you send JBJr down to PAW? Seems to be a rabbit trail in the discussion. At the moment I would assume that we'd bring up Brentz and Corey Brown (who seems to have been signed with this in mind). But again, that's irrelevant since we assume that JBJr is in the mix.

-Lavigne43-
04-10-2014, 01:23 PM
It could be 3 or 4 weeks before SV is back, by then some things may have shaken out. I agree Carp is the guy that goes if it's a trade. But if JBJ is the best fielding OF (he is today), and hitting say .310/.360/.440 how can you justify sending him down if he's your best hitting OF?

I think for fielding/health reasons JBJ has to stay. For other reasons including RHH you've got to keep Gomes and SV up on the roster and playing. Sizemore seems to be the kind of guy that stays unless he's DL. That's 4, Nava makes 5.

A rotation that could be in place mid season is:

RF: SV (5 out of 7 games)
RF: JBJ (2 out of 7 games)
CF: Sizemore (4 out of 7 games)
CF: JBJ (3 out of 7 games)
RF: Nava/Gomes

So it's straight platoon in LF, and days off rotation in CF and RF to keep the old guys healthy. Some like Sizemore in LF, but you're going to have to axe either Gomes or Nava, but then you're dead if there is an injury or two.

If he's hitting that well you can't send him down, that's a better player than Ellsbury. If his numbers are closer to league average for CF, we have a conundrum. That's a nice player, but do we sacrifice Carp for that. Would we be better off sending him down and waiting it out another month to see if Nava improves, or Carp becomes better trade bait.

I would play Grady in LF as much as possible. They are hitting him lower in the lineup to protect him from a greater workload, playing LF would also do that. I hope they don't play JBjr in LF like they did last year.

How does that change if you send JBJr down to PAW? Seems to be a rabbit trail in the discussion. At the moment I would assume that we'd bring up Brentz and Corey Brown (who seems to have been signed with this in mind). But again, that's irrelevant since we assume that JBJr is in the mix.

We lose an OF whether it's Carp or Nava. Carp is also our backup 1b, so we lose that as well. We would have two injury prone players at the corners, and our upper minor league OF depth is terrible. You can't send JBjr down if he's playing great, but if he is only solid it's a real question to ask. You send JBjr down for a month to buy more time to see how Nava and Carp play, and you also protect yourself against another OF injury by having a good outfielder to replace them. By then it will be June and you can acquire better options if we get an injury.

bagwell368
04-10-2014, 01:46 PM
I would play Grady in LF as much as possible. They are hitting him lower in the lineup to protect him from a greater workload, playing LF would also do that. I hope they don't play JBjr in LF like they did last year.

If Grady is playing LF and JBJ and Grady playing CF and SV is in RF, then you've got potentially 3 OF's sitting most of the time. How can we see how they are doing if they don't play much?

With all the LF's we have, no way JBJ should be anywhere but CF or RF.

RedSoxtober
04-12-2014, 09:56 AM
We lose an OF whether it's Carp or Nava. Carp is also our backup 1b, so we lose that as well.
I don't think so. Carp has 3 innings at first, 13 in LF so far this year while Nava has a complete game at 1B. I think the Sox view Nava as the backup 1B and Carp just a late inning option. He was an extraordinary PH last year and there is some value in that.

We would have two injury prone players at the corners, and our upper minor league OF depth is terrible. You can't send JBjr down if he's playing great, but if he is only solid it's a real question to ask. You send JBjr down for a month to buy more time to see how Nava and Carp play, and you also protect yourself against another OF injury by having a good outfielder to replace them. By then it will be June and you can acquire better options if we get an injury.
This is nice and I don't completely disagree but the argument you offered was losing BOTH Sizemore and Victorino. You don't really solve that by trying to keep both Nava and Carp unless you think that the latter is going to bring you back a serviceable OF. I doubt that unless you're giving up another player.

RedSoxtober
04-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Inclement conditions have put a potential rehab stint with Double-A Portland on hold, according to Farrell. The Sox have considered sending Victorino to play in a warmer climate — Single-A Greenville (S.C.) is home this week, for instance — but they want to make sure sports medicine coordinator Dan Dyrek is able to continue supervising the recovery.Boston Herald

:hope: