PDA

View Full Version : If the Lakers trade their pick for Love

MTar786
03-29-2014, 05:14 PM
hypothetically speaking.
if the lakers trade their pick and land klove
having nash on the books for 9m
kobe for 24

would they still be able to sign say melo?
and resign pau for cheap obviously.

this is the best case scenario I'm looking at which still isn't that great.. because a lineup of

nash
kobe
melo
love
gasol

looks great on paper. but would probably be the worst defensive team in the league lol.

but it is a good mix of players on a roster.

opinions and answers to whether this is even possible.

btw it would be so ironic for dantoni to get fired and then this turn out to be the team. because this would be a dream for him. although he's guaranteed to be fired after we lose to spurs on april 16th

abe_froman
03-29-2014, 05:19 PM
depends on how big of a paycut melo and gasol would be willing to take.but the short answer? no

Hawkeye15
03-29-2014, 05:29 PM
The Wolves won't trade Love for a #4-5 pick and whatever leftovers the Lakers try and throw at them this summer, sorry.

MTar786
03-29-2014, 05:35 PM
The Wolves won't trade Love for a #4-5 pick and whatever leftovers the Lakers try and throw at them this summer, sorry.

so u think the wolves rather let him walk for nothing? because everyone knows he's walking

MTar786
03-29-2014, 05:36 PM
depends on how big of a paycut melo and gasol would be willing to take.but the short answer? no

well my calculations show its very possible. and thats without melo taking a pay cut. we may not get pau tho.. unless we sign love and melo first. and i wouldn't offer pau more than mld kind of money at this point anyway.

torocan
03-29-2014, 05:38 PM
so u think the wolves rather let him walk for nothing? because everyone knows he's walking

Not sure I'd say it's a sure bet that he's walking, but assuming the Wolves miss the play offs, I'd say his chances went up a fair bit. And let's not forget, the Lakers won't be the ONLY team in the dog fight to get Kevin Love. There's no shortage of teams out there that would offer MORE than the Lakers pick to get Love.

Now, if the Lakers won the #1 (never rule out the NBA), then it's hard to say... THAT might be enough to tempt the Wolves.

slaker619
03-29-2014, 05:39 PM
Wolves not gonna do that

Kushed
03-29-2014, 05:39 PM
He isn't going to walk because Flip can't let him. There is no way we let another superstar walk and be right back where we were when KG left.. We haven't even made the playoffs since he's left so if Love left we can kiss any hope of that happening right out the window.

I think management is going to pull a shocker and grab another superstar type player to keep Love around.

People forget, the Wolves are a decent team. They've been on the bad side of losses all this year but things like that tend to eventually go in your favor.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-29-2014, 05:42 PM

Sounds good, we'll take him for free next year.

torocan
03-29-2014, 05:45 PM
He isn't going to walk because Flip can't let him. There is no way we let another superstar walk and be right back where we were when KG left.. We haven't even made the playoffs since he's left so if Love left we can kiss any hope of that happening right out the window.

I think management is going to pull a shocker and grab another superstar type player to keep Love around.

People forget, the Wolves are a decent team. They've been on the bad side of losses all this year but things like that tend to eventually go in your favor.

Honestly, I don't even think it's a question of "let". Love is a FA. He'll either be willing to stay or he won't and all the begging in the world can't change that.

Cleveland wanted Lebron to stay.
Toronto wanted Bosh to stay.
Orlando and LA wanted Dwight to stay.

Heck, the Knicks want Melo to stay and there's no guarantee he doesn't head for the hills as soon as FA rolls around despite being able to offer more money than anyone else.

In the end, push comes to shove if Love wants out Minnesota will have to make do like everyone else.

Personally, I think that Minnesota made a mistake giving the 5 year to Rubio instead of Love... but not much you can do about it now. They just have to figure out a way to either make it work and convince him to stay, or to get back as much as they can for him.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-29-2014, 05:53 PM

this trade would be horrible for the lakers

bucketss
03-29-2014, 06:01 PM

People think it's so far-fetched that I would stay in Minnesota. And I'm not s------g on the Lakers, but we have the better team, the better foundation. I'm having fun.

Ouch.

jerellh528
03-29-2014, 06:06 PM
Ouch.

Haha what did you expect love to say? Dam I can't wait to bolt for LA?
Anyway on topic, that trade would suck. Might as well get a top draft talent this year with that pick and then just get love next yr as a fa

Avenged
03-29-2014, 06:08 PM

Thank God

MTar786
03-29-2014, 06:34 PM

loll this. and we get to keep our pick. win win.

wolves fans.. love is leaving. deal with it.

bucketss
03-29-2014, 06:37 PM

whats the point of this thread than? lolol, why would you even think about trading a pick if you're so sure you will get him for nothing.

Lakers + Giants
03-29-2014, 06:39 PM
whats the point of this thread than? lolol, why would you even think about trading a pick if you're so sure you will get him for nothing.

I never agree with you, but I agree with you here.

P&GRealist
03-29-2014, 06:41 PM

KG didn't leave, he got traded.

king4day
03-29-2014, 06:42 PM
IMO, unless the pick is top 3, LAL doesn't have enough to nab Love.
This is a broken record but if Love leaves the Wolves and hits free agency, it's because he's tired of losing. The Lakers won't change that.

Unless he simply wants to go home, there will be plenty of teams out there with a better core and quicker chance to compete.

FriedTofuz
03-29-2014, 06:44 PM
I would not want to trade a top 5 pick for Love, not in this draft. Lakers will have a better shot signing love without giving up assets in trade.

P&GRealist
03-29-2014, 06:48 PM
It makes zero sense to trade the pick.

jerellh528
03-29-2014, 06:48 PM
According to Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles, Love is enamored with playing in a big city for a big team:

A source familiar with Loves thinking told ESPNLosAngeles.com that its not just L.A. that is appealing to Love; hes enamored with the idea of being big time in a big city, and that list of potential places hed seek includes New York and Chicago, as well.

This came out today, so the list grows to 3. I like the lakers odds though.

abe_froman
03-29-2014, 06:49 PM
IMO, unless the pick is top 3, LAL doesn't have enough to nab Love.
This is a broken record but if Love leaves the Wolves and hits free agency, it's because he's tired of losing. The Lakers won't change that.

Unless he simply wants to go home, there will be plenty of teams out there with a better core and quicker chance to compete.
i think they should think about it no matter what pick the lakers land.the reality of sports is that top tier guys bolt to big markets and winners,so its very likely he's bolting next year ...to somewhere.so why not get something of quality,like a pick in the top tier of a good draft ,even say a 5 or 6 would be the best offer the wolves would get for him.

king4day
03-29-2014, 06:52 PM
i think they should think about it no matter what pick the lakers land.the reality of sports is that top tier guys bolt to big markets and winners,so its very likely he's bolting next year ...to somewhere.so why not get something of quality,like a pick in the top tier of a good draft ,it really would be the best offer the wolves would get for him.

The NCAA tourney and Pre-draft workouts will likely decide if a mid lottery pick would be enough. If it is, other teams will probably be able to offer more value.

abe_froman
03-29-2014, 06:55 PM
The NCAA tourney and Pre-draft workouts will likely decide if a mid lottery pick would be enough. If it is, other teams will probably be able to offer more value.
i dunno,unless something dramatic happens at camp or workouts, i'd rather have say exum alone over a package build around stauskas+role players.going with a young core of say exum(with the lakers pick)+gordon(their own)+dieng,thats looking real good going forward

FOBolous
03-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Melo is going to Chicago or Houston. And if I was the NYK, I would help him get to Houston instead of letting him walk to Chicago. Sorry Lakers fans.

MTar786
03-29-2014, 07:13 PM

because i would rather have him next season. another year for a title.

MTar786
03-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Melo is going to Chicago or Houston. And if I was the NYK, I would help him get to Houston instead of letting him walk to Chicago. Sorry Lakers fans.

i don't really care for melo. id rather have wiggins anyway. melo is old and has no d. my question was a hypothetical. id much rather have love than melo though. damn, if i could help it i would hope we somehow get wiggins and then somehow sign melo and dump his *** to the wolves for love

Kushed
03-29-2014, 07:16 PM
KG didn't leave, he got traded.

Because he was going to leave lol this management doesn't want to have to do that

MTar786
03-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Because he was going to leave lol this management doesn't want to have to do that

exactly why I'm saying love could get traded for a pick. wolves rather get something than nothing when he walks

LakersA's49ers
03-29-2014, 07:35 PM
lakers need to draft parker/wiggins/embiid/smart/exum and sign Love next summer. Anything short of that is idiotic

John Walls Era
03-29-2014, 07:38 PM
looks quite bad on paper. in a video game it might be the GOAT.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2014, 07:55 PM

No, they won't trade him until they have absolutely no choice, which is not this summer.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2014, 07:57 PM

we will be able to deal with it. Can you Laker fans stop acting like the rest of the league is your ****ing farm system?

People wonder why fans hate the Lakers. This thread, as well as around 8 million others on this site is exactly why.

Tony_Starks
03-29-2014, 07:59 PM
If Lakers traded their pick for Love I'd throw up then proceed to throw my TV out the window.

ztilzer31
03-29-2014, 08:31 PM
If the Lakers get Love it'll need to be through free agency. The need too many pieces to be trading picks, and at this point how can you put Nash as your starting PG? If Nash plays half a season that will be at least twice as many as a reasonable person expects. Also there isn't enough shots in a basketball game to have Kobe/Love/Anthony on a team. I think Kobe/Love would work together, but I seriously doubt Melo goes to L.A.

ztilzer31
03-29-2014, 08:33 PM
Not to mention there's just no way Minny gives up Love to L.A. The Minnesota fan base would freak out. Anything but L.A.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Lakers aren't gonna want to trade the pick and the Wolves aren't gonna trade Love for that pick it seems like. I honestly think Love ends up in OKC in a S&T for Ibaka+ in the summer of 2015.

jerellh528
03-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Lakers aren't gonna want to trade the pick and the Wolves aren't gonna trade Love for that pick it seems like. I honestly think Love ends up in OKC in a S&T for Ibaka+ in the summer of 2015.

Has there been talk about this potential trade? Where did u hear this?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Has there been talk about this potential trade? Where did u hear this?

Love's stated in the past a great desire to play with Durant and Westbrook. I forget on which show it was, but I remember him saying his "dream big three" would be to play with Durant and Westbrook. And by judging off of the moves Saunders has made so far with Minnesota, I think he would take Ibaka and Reggie Jackson or what not in a S&T scenario.

amos1er
03-29-2014, 08:48 PM

Haha yup. It's not like the Wolves have much leverage. Better to get a pick than nothing.

AddiX
03-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Lakers fans still have not come to realization that they don't have it the way they use to. For right now, those days of trading for talent on the cheap are over.

PurpleLynch
03-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Nah,just take this pick whoever he is. We are not going to the Finals next year,Love wants a contender(and he deserves it).Also, with Kobe's contract,Lakers FO is pretty screwed.We can't make this move and Wolves wouldn't accept it anyway.

amos1er
03-29-2014, 08:52 PM

Lol. You honestly think that the Wolves would rather take Ibaka over a potential pick that could land them Wiggins, Parker, Exum or Embiid. Come one man. I know you are a Boston fan and all, but lets at least try to be rational about this.

amos1er
03-29-2014, 08:54 PM
Lakers fans still have not come to realization that they don't have it the way they use to. For right now, those days of trading for talent on the cheap are over.

You think we get hooked up??? Lol. Ya, it's not like we can get the three best players in our conference to collude and come here for less than their market value.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2014, 09:03 PM
are Laker fans really against trading their pick for Love hahahahahaha?

Trust me, Minnesota is the first one to hang up the phone on that one. Of course, I understand that every Laker fan thinks he is coming to them for nothing in 2015, so I suppose that puts a premise on some of the reactions here.

Fact is, there is a better chance Love is going to be a better player than anyone in this draft.

bleedprple&gold
03-29-2014, 09:04 PM

Trust me, Minnesota is the first one to hang up the phone on that one. Of course, I understand that every Laker fan thinks he is coming to them for nothing in 2015, so I suppose that puts a premise on some of the reactions here.

Fact is, there is a better chance Love is going to be a better player than anyone in this draft.

Thats fine then the trade makes no sense for either side so it won't happen simple as that.

amos1er
03-29-2014, 09:07 PM
No, they won't trade him until they have absolutely no choice, which is not this summer.

Either this summer or by the deadline. I can wait.

*Superman*
03-29-2014, 09:12 PM
That looks like a horrible team, I don't think they would mesh well.

Tony_Starks
03-29-2014, 09:19 PM
If Love wants to come he'll get his chance. If not even better, spend that on someone that actually plays defense.

beliges
03-29-2014, 09:22 PM

Lakers will most definitely try to trade their pick. I have no doubt Minnesota will take a 3-5 pick for love if love gives them indication that he's gonna leave.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Thats fine then the trade makes no sense for either side so it won't happen simple as that.

not right now it doesn't. The Lakers literally have nothing outside a top 5 pick to offer. Nothing.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Lakers will most definitely try to trade their pick. I have no doubt Minnesota will take a 3-5 pick for love if love gives them indication that he's gonna leave.

I can virtually guarantee the Wolves won't trade Love this summer. It literally makes no sense for them to explore it.

Bruno
03-29-2014, 09:44 PM
i don't see the wolves trading love. i think they're gona hope he stays. i think they're willing to lose him for close to nothing closer to his FA, or just keep him until he expires and hope he stays.

the wolves have a chance to keep love, if they can improve and be a team that competes for HCA in round one. they gotta trade Pek for a starting quality SF and a good player who can play 6th man. I think they should develop Gorgui Dieng as the starting C next to love. Pek is a good player but the worst center next to love. love needs a defensive quality C to cover his only weakness, FG% at the rim. Use Pek to get a respectable SF and 6th man if you can. add a savvy vet or two to the roster. if rubio can run this ship and spend all summer developing a respectable jumper instead of competing...

the above is a playoff team imo.

sunnydayin'zona
03-29-2014, 09:52 PM
I'm going to laugh when Love DOESN'T go to the Lakers xD

Hawkeye15
03-29-2014, 09:53 PM
i don't see the wolves trading love. i think they're gona hope he stays. i think they're willing to lose him for close to nothing closer to his FA, or just keep him until he expires and hope he stays.

the wolves have a chance to keep love, if they can improve and be a team that competes for HCA in round one. they gotta trade Pek for a starting quality SF and a good player who can play 6th man. I think they should develop Gorgui Dieng as the starting C next to love. Pek is a good player but the worst center next to love. love needs a defensive quality C to cover his only weakness, FG% at the rim. Use Pek to get a respectable SF and 6th man if you can. add a savvy vet or two to the roster. if rubio can run this ship and spend all summer developing a respectable jumper instead of competing...

the above is a playoff team imo.

I have just started saying this. Dieng is a MUCH better fit. Trade Pekovic for wing help, draft a shooter like Hood/McDermott, and trade Barea and find a real backup PG. Bolster the bench with athletes.

The Wolves, statistically, are a 44-27 team right now. They simply can't finish games because of their makeup. Changing that isn't that ****ing difficult.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Lol. You honestly think that the Wolves would rather take Ibaka over a potential pick that could land them Wiggins, Parker, Exum or Embiid. Come one man. I know you are a Boston fan and all, but lets at least try to be rational about this.

Should have clarified. From what it looks like, Minnesota is going to hold onto Love until the end of his contract thinking that they can keep him and then when he hits FA in 2015 and can obviously tell that Love wants to go else where, they'll take what they can get in a S&T for him.

Bruno
03-29-2014, 10:08 PM
I have just started saying this. Dieng is a MUCH better fit. Trade Pekovic for wing help, draft a shooter like Hood/McDermott, and trade Barea and find a real backup PG. Bolster the bench with athletes.

The Wolves, statistically, are a 44-27 team right now. They simply can't finish games because of their makeup. Changing that isn't that ****ing difficult.

i don't think so either.

rubio has been on a legacy/keeper fantasy team of mine all year so I've seen maybe 3-4 Wolves games since the Pek injury (its our fantasy basketball playoffs right now so thats why I've been watching). that's when i found out about Dieng (I had no idea who he was). i'm impressed by him. I think he's a good fit and he's locked up for cheap for a while, which gives the situation the time it will need. Pek has good value for the right team looking for an offensive post presence- his contract isn't obscenely bad either. I say the Wolves should move him with their upcoming lottery pick for a SF (who can play SG when needed) and 6th man (another SF who can play stretch four and spell love, or another PF). let jose back up Rubio but curtail his minutes and give Rubio a legitimate 35, 36 minutes a game. hope martin lasts another year.

I think thats all it takes. if i were in the wolves FO I wouldn't move love. I'd make all the other moves around him and build a winner that he wants to be a centerpiece for. If push comes to shove I think all of your picks have to go (this years first and next years first- hold onto your 2nds). unload all the picks to make these deals happen. priority #1 is to keep love, AT LEAST get him to pull a KG and play there for a few contracts. Minny is luck to have found a replacement for KG so quickly and as you've said above, it won't happen again through the draft anytime soon. you can't lose him.

jerellh528
03-29-2014, 10:09 PM
If the lakers trade this pick for love, I'll be pissed. Even more so if they add some of our young talent in the mix.

TheIlladelph16
03-29-2014, 10:17 PM
If the lakers trade this pick for love, I'll be pissed. Even more so if they add some of our young talent in the mix.

1. Love is very, very likely to be the superior player to the guy you are going to draft with that pick.

2. What "young talent" do the Lakers have at the moment? Because I don't see any that would even entice Minnesota, even with the pick included.

Crackadalic
03-29-2014, 10:19 PM

I wanted dieng in the draft. He fits well. Wolves are still a few pieces away from being a 50 win team. I would not be shock if he stays unless they blew it next season

mdm692
03-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Watch Love end up in Chicago and all Lakers fan will say "we didn't want him anyways, we have Kobe. 81 points just watch". Just how they said they didn't want Dwight :laugh:.

Bostonjorge
03-29-2014, 10:24 PM
Love is a monster. Kobe and a superstar big are the pieces to a championship. Especially a great passing big that can step out. But the top 3 rookies are also great so either way lakers are in a great situation. Seeing how teams have not been wanting to trade this years draft pick for pretty much nothing u can guarantee a top pick is more then enough for love.

Love is not going to resign with the wolves. He even made it clear when he signed his extension and was pissed it wasn't a max. He's been bad mouthing the management ever since to the media. He never heals quick and all signs say he already has a foot out the door:

Phenom1
03-29-2014, 10:27 PM

Yea because you know the lakers are getting the 4th or 5th pick for sure how? The wolves will do it, especially since theres a high chance klove walks away after the following season anyways and this draft is deep. But i dont think it would benefit either team honestly.

jerellh528
03-29-2014, 10:29 PM
1. Love is very, very likely to be the superior player to the guy you are going to draft with that pick.

2. What "young talent" do the Lakers have at the moment? Because I don't see any that would even entice Minnesota, even with the pick included.

Who cares if he's better. That's not the point. The point is the lakers just had the worst season in franchise history and we need to draft our future. Even if we do get love next year he's better suited in a second option role IMO. The goal is get a good player in the draft, and love. I honestly think he wants to be a laker and so does almost every gm in the league. There's some young potential on this squad, not valuable guys, but guys that can progress , such as Henry, bazemore, Marshall, sacre, Kelly.

beliges
03-29-2014, 10:39 PM

I can virtually guarantee the Wolves won't trade Love this summer. It literally makes no sense for them to explore it.

If they can get a top 3 pick then I can virtually guarantee they will trade him.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2014, 10:44 PM

hahaha, what young talent?

Hawkeye15
03-29-2014, 10:46 PM
Love is a monster. Kobe and a superstar big are the pieces to a championship. Especially a great passing big that can step out. But the top 3 rookies are also great so either way lakers are in a great situation. Seeing how teams have not been wanting to trade this years draft pick for pretty much nothing u can guarantee a top pick is more then enough for love.

Love is not going to resign with the wolves. He even made it clear when he signed his extension and was pissed it wasn't a max. He's been bad mouthing the management ever since to the media. He never heals quick and all signs say he already has a foot out the door:

you, of all people that have been against stats showing Bron being the best in the game for 7 years says this?

And no, Love made it VERY clear he was pissed at the offer he signed.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2014, 10:47 PM
If they can get a top 3 pick then I can virtually guarantee they will trade him.

absolutely not bud. There is a slim chance a top 3 pick in this draft becomes as good or better than Kevin Love. Anyone knows this.

bucketss
03-29-2014, 10:50 PM
kobe is nearing retirement, i honestly don't think he will ever be superstar level again. so why would love want to play on the lakers?

waveycrockett
03-29-2014, 11:07 PM
Whats with the LA obsession with Love?? Dude plays on a team with a wayyyy better supporting cast and still cant lead his team to the playoffs.

waveycrockett
03-29-2014, 11:09 PM
absolutely not bud. There is a slim chance a top 3 pick in this draft becomes as good or better than Kevin Love. Anyone knows this.

Deron Williams, Melo,Dwight, CP3. Minny is just going to have the bite the bullet. This would be the closest they could get to equal value for Love

beliges
03-29-2014, 11:12 PM

I agree but there's close to a zero percent chance Love stays in minni.

east fb knicks
03-29-2014, 11:15 PM
that would be a historically bad move by the lakers love is going to the east either bulls or knicks

Bruno
03-29-2014, 11:18 PM
kobe is nearing retirement, i honestly don't think he will ever be superstar level again. so why would love want to play on the lakers?

Whats with the LA obsession with Love?? Dude plays on a team with a wayyyy better supporting cast and still cant lead his team to the playoffs.

time and pressure.

jerellh528
03-29-2014, 11:31 PM

He wouldn't have to be the man. La has potentially a top 5 pick and ample cap space. In a few years lakers could potentially have one of the top picks in this draft to go along with love, kyrie and durant and other solid pieces.

east fb knicks
03-29-2014, 11:42 PM
He wouldn't have to be the man. La has potentially a top 5 pick and ample cap space. In a few years lakers could potentially have one of the top picks in this draft to go along with love, kyrie and durant and other solid pieces.

I hope your not serious :laugh:

jerellh528
03-29-2014, 11:44 PM
I hope your not serious :laugh:

Look I know you and the rest of the league don't wanna see it. But the potential is there. We all know love wants to be a laker. Kyrie does too.."My son Mychel, who is good friends with Kyrie since they played together in Cleveland, says that Kyrie said that if he did leave the Cavaliers, and the rookie-scale contract that hes on right now, he would definitely do it for the Lakers"... So all that leaves is kd.

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/11/07/heisler-lakers-and-their-fans-are-rebuilding-slowly/

Hawkeye15
03-29-2014, 11:45 PM
Deron Williams, Melo,Dwight, CP3. Minny is just going to have the bite the bullet. This would be the closest they could get to equal value for Love

outside the Melo trade, tell me the last time a team got equal value for a top 10 player.

jerellh528
03-29-2014, 11:48 PM
Duplicate post

Lakers + Giants
03-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Look I know you and the rest of the league don't wanna see it. But the potential is there. We all know love wants to be a laker. Kyrie does too.."My son Mychel, who is good friends with Kyrie since they played together in Cleveland, says that Kyrie said that if he did leave the Cavaliers, and the rookie-scale contract that hes on right now, he would definitely do it for the Lakers"... So all that leaves is kd.

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/11/07/heisler-lakers-and-their-fans-are-rebuilding-slowly/

Cmon man, we don't even have love and you are talking about Kyrie and KD already? It's far from a sure thing love even comes anyway. .

Avenged
03-30-2014, 12:00 AM

:sigh:

jerellh528
03-30-2014, 12:04 AM
Cmon man, we don't even have love and you are talking about Kyrie and KD already? It's far from a sure thing love even comes anyway. .

And? We may not even have a top 4 pick this year but doesn't stop you from having wiggin, Parker, exum, and Embiid in your sig. A guy can dream can't I? The whole premise of this thread is based on a hypothetical. Professional media writers also have written articles claiming them to be our targets. Why can't I as a fan?

still1ballin
03-30-2014, 12:09 AM

I hope you're right. Then he can sign with is next year.

waveycrockett
03-30-2014, 12:09 AM
I'm just not sold on Love I think he needs to be a #3, Bosh type player on a championship team. He just doesn't impact the game at all defensively and cant create a shot like Dirk could or work in the post consistently. I mean lets face it he puts up numbers but I would rather have a Goran Dragic or Marc Gasol who impact all areas of the game than Love. LA should focus on trading for a true superstar perhaps Westbrook or something. I think LA would get Love and Kyrie but then they'd just be a poor mans version of what the Clippers are now. I really dont see KD selling out a stacked OKC team to play with K.Love and Kyrie that would be a downgrade imo.

Lakers + Giants
03-30-2014, 12:10 AM
And? We may not even have a top 4 pick this year but doesn't stop you from having wiggin, Parker, exum, and Embiid in your sig. A guy can dream can't I? The whole premise of this thread is based on a hypothetical. Professional media writers also have written articles claiming them to be our targets. Why can't I as a fan?

Neither do the sixers, bucks, celtics, magic, or Jazz. You do realize that there's a draft lottery right? So even the wolves can get the #1 overall pick, but so can we.

Meanwhile, you're already jumping ahread 2-3 years into the future, and expecting us to get 3 of the top 25 players in the nba. . cmon man.

jerellh528
03-30-2014, 12:14 AM
Neither do the sixers, bucks, celtics, magic, or Jazz. You do realize that there's a draft lottery right? So even the wolves can get the #1 overall pick, but so can we.

Meanwhile, you're already jumping ahread 2-3 years into the future, and expecting us to get 3 of the top 25 players in the nba. . cmon man.

So it's cool for writers to speculate on it, but I can't. Coo.

kobe4thewinbang
03-30-2014, 12:15 AM
Love's stated in the past a great desire to play with Durant and Westbrook. I forget on which show it was, but I remember him saying his "dream big three" would be to play with Durant and Westbrook. And by judging off of the moves Saunders has made so far with Minnesota, I think he would take Ibaka and Reggie Jackson or what not in a S&T scenario.It would be interesting, but what does Love do that Durant can't do? But they should trade Westbrook for Love. That would eliminate Westbrook's chucking when Durant should be the one shooting, or instead Love.

Htownballa1622
03-30-2014, 12:16 AM
What if

Lakers don't get Melo, Love or any of those guys.
Then draft someone that busts.

THEN get stuck with Kobe and a bunch of d-leaguers.

:laugh2:

jerellh528
03-30-2014, 12:21 AM
What if

Lakers don't get Melo, Love or any of those guys.
Then draft someone that busts.

THEN get stuck with Kobe and a bunch of d-leaguers.

:laugh2:

Well then that would be terrible for the league and shareholders.

Htownballa1622
03-30-2014, 12:30 AM

Probably.

I don't think it will happen but it is a funny thought(for ME).

Just a what if. Potential is there though.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2014, 12:39 AM

but amazing for me....

jerellh528
03-30-2014, 12:44 AM
but amazing for me....

I would quit psd haha

east fb knicks
03-30-2014, 12:47 AM
I'm just not sold on Love I think he needs to be a #3, Bosh type player on a championship team. He just doesn't impact the game at all defensively and cant create a shot like Dirk could or work in the post consistently. I mean lets face it he puts up numbers but I would rather have a Goran Dragic or Marc Gasol who impact all areas of the game than Love. LA should focus on trading for a true superstar perhaps Westbrook or something. I think LA would get Love and Kyrie but then they'd just be a poor mans version of what the Clippers are now. I really dont see KD selling out a stacked OKC team to play with K.Love and Kyrie that would be a downgrade imo.

your crazy love is a beast man he just plays in one of the smallest markets but his rebounding alone impacts the game ntm dude put up 40 and 20 multiple times this year your crazy if you'd take gasol or dragic over love irving to me is a bit overrated but he's only in his 3rd year

Hawkeye15
03-30-2014, 12:47 AM
I would quit psd haha

nah, we are all fans.

Walk a mile in my shoes dude. If you think your teams misfortunes were the end because of those actions, try being me....

Lakers + Giants
03-30-2014, 01:12 AM
nah, we are all fans.

Walk a mile in my shoes dude. If you think your teams misfortunes were the end because of those actions, try being me....

I've told you a bunch a times, I'd welcome you to the "dark side" with open arms. :laugh2:

xnick5757
03-30-2014, 01:17 AM
there's quite a few teams that can offer more to the wolves than the lakers can for love (if the wolves decide to trade him)

celtics can offer a bunch of picks + youth players, and so can some other teams

lakers have nothing to offer

Tony_Starks
03-30-2014, 02:25 AM

Bingo. I've watched Love since UCLA and have never been impressed. He'd be a great complimentary piece to a contender but he's definitely not the type of player to build around. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd be mad if we got him but as far as my wish list goes he's not on it.

bleedprple&gold
03-30-2014, 03:58 AM
there's quite a few teams that can offer more to the wolves than the lakers can for love (if the wolves decide to trade him)

Its a little more complicated than that. Doesn't matter what teams can offer if Love doesnt want to be there. No team is going to trade for him without assurance that he will stay. That's what gives the Lakers leverage in this situation because Love will stay since it's his hometown and he wants a big market. Love can force his way where he wants to go and Wolves will have to take the offer or let him walk for nothing.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-30-2014, 03:59 AM

we will be able to deal with it. Can you Laker fans stop acting like the rest of the league is your ****ing farm system?

People wonder why fans hate the Lakers. This thread, as well as around 8 million others on this site is exactly why.

People hate the best plain and simple. I'll tell you what tho, I won't hold it against you if you'd like to hop over and become a laker fan, :)

Hawkeye15
03-30-2014, 04:06 AM
People hate the best plain and simple. I'll tell you what tho, I won't hold it against you of you'd like to hope over and become a laker fan, :)

I would rather stab myself in the eye with a stick.

mdm692
03-30-2014, 04:38 AM

Nope. Just for Lakers fans and the franchise. Everybody else will be just fine and the NBA will make it's money one way or another. Good luck with the big 3 of Kendall Marshall, Bazemore and Hill :laugh:.

Kyben36
03-30-2014, 04:47 AM
they dont have money for it bro, understand that kobe making nearly 30 million kills you guys,

Nash's 8 mil

and add Love 15 with no cap being shed, which you really have no options to shed cap other than Nash, which nobody will take.

ldawg
03-30-2014, 05:56 AM
IMO Lakers would be stupid to trade their pick for love at this point. Just be patient he will be free in a year. If its meant to be he would sign as a free agent at that point. This year Lakers should target Greg Monre and Deng to pair with Love if his people says he will be on board in a year. If Pistons match Target Rudy Gay fits the coach.

ldawg
03-30-2014, 06:05 AM
On the defensive end Love sucks so you have to be very careful who you pair him with. Lakers need to put way more focus on defense. They have been given up way to many points.

effen5
03-30-2014, 06:15 AM
He's coming to the Bulls.

waveycrockett
03-30-2014, 08:01 AM
your crazy love is a beast man he just plays in one of the smallest markets but his rebounding alone impacts the game ntm dude put up 40 and 20 multiple times this year your crazy if you'd take gasol or dragic over love irving to me is a bit overrated but he's only in his 3rd year

Dragic and Love are the best players on playoff teams that have as much talent around them that Love has. Kevin Love needs to take his team to the playoffs one year at least.

blastmasta26
03-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Add Content

ChitownbullsBG7
03-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Its a little more complicated than that. Doesn't matter what teams can offer if Love doesnt want to be there. No team is going to trade for him without assurance that he will stay. That's what gives the Lakers leverage in this situation because Love will stay since it's his hometown and he wants a big market. Love can force his way where he wants to go and Wolves will have to take the offer or let him walk for nothing.

This guy is right bleed. Brooklyn can give up a proven star in Brook Lopez. GS has Klay, Barnes,Lee and picks. Bulls have Cha pick, their own picks, a kings pick, cavs picks, young guys like Mirotic, Snell, Butler, and a huge expiring contract in boozer. Not too mention dunleavy is expiring too which means they can get rid of more contracts.

BoSox47
03-30-2014, 12:40 PM

no but other teams with more valuable assets than the lakers will offer Minnesota a package. Especially if Minnesota says this is what the lakers are offering can anyone one up them. Which a handful of teams are in a position to do.

BoSox47
03-30-2014, 12:44 PM

Would be interesting to see what boston could offer. They have a couple young guys that can play in Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger and multiple draft picks. Wouldnt surprised to see Boston go after him

Also wouldnt be surprised to see Danny Ainge sit on his draft picks, maybe use draft picks to trade up in the draft and go that route.

Regardless Boston will most likely be a player this offseason, or next offseason whether its bringing in major free agents or trading rondo and getting more picks.

Walt
03-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Nash isn't an NBA player anymore
Kobe is done
Melo and Love play zero defense
Gasol is getting up to being done

ldawg
03-30-2014, 01:35 PM
no but other teams with more valuable assets than the lakers will offer Minnesota a package. Especially if Minnesota says this is what the lakers are offering can anyone one up them. Which a handful of teams are in a position to do.I think you guys under estimate what a team wont give up for a free agent to be risk him walking for nothing. Love would have to agree on that trade and give word he would resign. If not no team would do that. See what happen to Lakers and Howard?

Sandman
03-30-2014, 02:18 PM

good to see the LA Hubris survived Dwight Howard

Jeffy25
03-30-2014, 02:21 PM
hypothetically speaking.
kobe for 24

this is the best case scenario I'm looking at which still isn't that great.. because a lineup of

nash
kobe
melo
love
gasol

looks great on paper. but would probably be the worst defensive team in the league lol.

btw it would be so ironic for dantoni to get fired and then this turn out to be the team. because this would be a dream for him. although he's guaranteed to be fired after we lose to spurs on april 16th

So many shooters on one roster

And I don't think they'd have the financial room to do all of this in the first place.....and would probably have a very weak bench.

ztilzer31
03-30-2014, 02:36 PM
If I'm Love I'm going to Houston. Nuff said. Howard+Love would be amazing. One of the best C/PF combo's ever.

BoSox47
03-30-2014, 03:06 PM
I think you guys under estimate what a team wont give up for a free agent to be risk him walking for nothing. Love would have to agree on that trade and give word he would resign. If not no team would do that. See what happen to Lakers and Howard?

Any team trading for Love would most likely not make the trade without having Love sign a contract. Obviously they would give up a lot less for no contract.

I was just simply stating that there are a handful of teams that can offer a better package then they Lakers.

xnick5757
03-30-2014, 03:32 PM
hypothetically speaking.
kobe for 24

nash
kobe
melo
love
gasol

not nearly enough cap space to do that.

kobe - 23,500,000
nash - 9,701,000
love - 15,719,062

thats a total of 48,920,062, so unless melo signs for under 10 mil he's not coming. and gasol's cap hold prevents that signing anyways

east fb knicks
03-30-2014, 03:40 PM
Dragic and Love are the best players on playoff teams that have as much talent around them that Love has. Kevin Love needs to take his team to the playoffs one year at least.

injuries hit the wolves team this year ntm Rubio has been a big disappointment this year but even with that being said the wolves are.500 in the tough west idc who you are if your team isn't talented enough you lose dragic is having an amzing year but he's not the reason the suns are so good they have a lot of players overachieving this year Bledsoe is a beast and hornacek is doing a great job the front runner for coy imo

mrblisterdundee
03-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Love wants to be in a big market, but I don't think the Lakers can offer anything decent. Maybe Boston.

NYKNYGNYY
03-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Lol just throw melo in there to n him n love won't mesh

beasted86
03-30-2014, 05:44 PM
well my calculations show its very possible. and thats without melo taking a pay cut. we may not get pau tho.. unless we sign love and melo first. and i wouldn't offer pau more than mld kind of money at this point anyway.

What calculations? Would you please post them?

Here are my calculations based on a $62.1M salary cap projection (via Larry Coon (https://twitter.com/LarryCoon/status/341612702961131520)) and the guaranteed salaries of all current Lakers players signed through 2014-15, as well as Kevin Love (via Sham Sports (http://www.shamsports.com)):

Kobe Bryant $23.5M
Steve Nash $9.7M
Robert Sacre $0.9M
Kevin Love $15.7M

Subtotal: $49.8M

"Incomplete roster charge" for every spot under the NBA required 12 man minimum:
$507,336 x 8 empty roster spots = $4,058,688

$49.8 + $4.1M = $53.9M

(Salary cap) $62.1M - $53.9M = $8.2M cap space

Now based on these calculations, do you still believe the Lakers can get Carmelo Anthony to sign for $8.2M?

In the case that they waive Steve Nash, they would remove $6.4M in guaranteed salary, but add another $0.5M incomplete roster charge, totaling approximately $14.1M they could offer to free agents. Based on that, I still don't think that is enough to sign Carmelo Anthony, let alone Pau Gasol.

All the Lakers would have after using cap space is the room exception of $2.7M to add a starting PG or C, and then would have to fill the rest of the roster with minimum players. Just my own opinion, but that's not a championship team built to contend right away.

slashsnake
03-30-2014, 05:46 PM

I put this up before and it is still holding, but the numbers are CRAZY... Minnesota as of last week was a +408 with Love on the floor and a -194 with him off it. Before that added up to them being as good as any team in the league when he plays, and Jazz or worse bad when he sits. For that team to win, he needs to pull the old Wilt Chamberlain play every minute rotation. +8.5 points per 100 possessions when he plays, -9.6 when he is resting. There's just too many games like the Phoenix one where he's +3 and in 10 minutes they are -10 when he rests.

Trwood12
03-30-2014, 06:21 PM
If the Lakers have learned their lesson, they won't keep trading picks away. Especially being in the midst of a huge rebuild. And why would Minnesota jump on that? There are plenty of other teams that could offer way better trades than the Lakers. What else can the Lakers give besides picks? They have nothing to offer.

Bruno
03-30-2014, 06:45 PM
If the Lakers have learned their lesson, they won't keep trading picks away. Especially being in the midst of a huge rebuild. And why would Minnesota jump on that? There are plenty of other teams that could offer way better trades than the Lakers. What else can the Lakers give besides picks? They have nothing to offer.
i don't know if this can be compared to trading those picks for nash. nash was 38 at the time of the trade. love is in his prime.

Cracka2HI!
03-30-2014, 08:36 PM
The Lakers should not do this. They might be able to get Love for nothing.

NBA_Starter
03-30-2014, 09:33 PM
The Wolves didn't bump their heads.

3RDASYSTEM
03-30-2014, 10:01 PM

SILVER will make his big splash as commish and somehow magically hand la #1 overall pick and then I bet the WOLVES would listen hard, maybe not make a deal but will listen damn hard unless they can acquire another K LOVE but on the perimeter I don't see him staying because RUBIO is pretty much what I thought he was pre NBA, because you don't stash superstar/hof type players overseas for yrs, but you do when they are avg to decent like a RUBIO, and please don't show me his PER because it wouldn't matter, he over passed then and now and cant shoot, what a waste of a pick when CURRY/LAWSON were there for taken

ManRam
03-30-2014, 10:53 PM
I don't think it would even be fun to be a fan of a team where a significant portion of its fan base expects something like Kyrie, Love AND Durant in free agency. Jesus. I mean, it's obviously a pipe dream, but there's a reason they think that; Lakers fans are quite spoiled (a compliment). I think I'd be frustrated being a Wolves fans and seeing Lakers fans not even remotely content with just getting Love.

Kinda depressing, actually. :sigh: I'm sitting here thinking I'd be ****ing ecstatic if we signed someone...just one guy...like Paul Millsap in 2015. Hell, I talked myself into almost WANTING Ricky Rubio...a guy I hate. Must be nice, Lakers fans!

jerellh528
03-30-2014, 11:13 PM
I don't think it would even be fun to be a fan of a team where a significant portion of its fan base expects something like Kyrie, Love AND Durant in free agency. Jesus. I mean, it's obviously a pipe dream, but there's a reason they think that; Lakers fans are quite spoiled (a compliment). I think I'd be frustrated being a Wolves fans and seeing Lakers fans not even remotely content with just getting Love.

Kinda depressing, actually. :sigh: I'm sitting here thinking I'd be ****ing ecstatic if we signed someone...just one guy...like Paul Millsap in 2015. Hell, I talked myself into almost WANTING Ricky Rubio...a guy I hate. Must be nice, Lakers fans!

Nice post, kinda puts my selfishness into perspective haha. I'll keep all my future piped dreams in the lakers forum from now on.

JohnStockton
03-31-2014, 11:20 AM
People need to stop assuming that the Lakers can get franchise players for nothing via trades.

They were lucky that Memphis was unloading and that the Lakers happened to have an expiring contract. Otherwise Kobe wouldn't even be with the team anymore.

And they were luck that Orlando had been forced to trade Dwight, not that that paid off.

Minny is NOT going to take a first round pick (unless it's first overall) and some garbage pieces for Kevin Love. There are teams that would offer real value for Love if they felt like they were going to lose him to free agency, and even if the T-Wolves were willing to take a first-round pick and garbage for Love, other teams would hear about it and up the ante.

If Love goes to LAL, it will be via free agency.

Pistol_Pete
03-31-2014, 01:54 PM
I think there's a few things wrong with this post. First, sure, let's say they trade a pick and get Love and also sign Melo. Nash is hurting, he's not going to be a huge factor. And I think most people would agree that his a huge injury risk. And do you really think Pau is re-signing with the Lakers? He's probably the most disrespected player in the league. He's been attached to every Laker trade scenario for years. I can't imagine him staying, let alone staying for less money.

If I'm the GM, I take the chance that Love will sign with LA and keep the pick. They can get a top pick. Have Nash expiring next season (I think). Sign Love as an FA. And then have Kobe's $24mil expiring the next season. I think that looks better.

smith&wesson
03-31-2014, 02:34 PM
kobe, melo, love, gasol

theres only one ball in a game. we saw how gasol becomes ineffective when he doesnt get his touches. Melo needs the ball to be effective as well. Then you have kobe who will demand the ball. Love will need his touches too. none of these guys are built to play off the ball.

love, kobe, gasol could work - melo.