PDA

View Full Version : O.S.Q.O.T.D.: Will the single-game blocks shots record stand forever?

JasonJohnHorn
03-27-2014, 05:36 PM
In 1973, Elmore Smith blocked 17 shots in one game. He twice blocked 14 shots as well. Manute Bol twice blocked 15 and Shaq matched that total, the second highest in NBA history (though Wilt Chamberlain insisted that he had blocked over 20 in a game before they started counting them, and players have said the same of Bill Russell).

The record stands at 17.

The second highest total is 15.

Will either of these totals ever be matched or topped? And if so, who is the most likely to accomplish this?

NoahH
03-27-2014, 05:40 PM
This is one of the untouchable records in my opinion. Outside shooting had not really emerged at that point so he had more action at the rim.

In the past 20 years the most blocks in a single game was 13 by Shawn bradley. There's a handful of people who have had 12,11,10 blocks, but no one has come close in over 20 years.

Shaq had 15 in 1993 and that was the last 'close' game.

I mean it COULD happen, but i believe it is basically untouchable. Stats show that no one has come close recently.

If I had to pick someone to break the record obviously i'd have to go with that Unibrow Freak in New Orleans..

WadeKobe
03-27-2014, 05:45 PM
This is one of the untouchable records in my opinion. Outside shooting had not really emerged at that point so he had more action at the rim.

In the past 20 years the most blocks in a single game was 13 by Shawn bradley. There's a handful of people who have had 12,11,10 blocks, but no one has come close in over 20 years.

I mean it COULD happen, but i believe it is basically untouchable. Stats show that no one has come close recently.

If I had to pick someone to break the record obviously i'd have to go with that Unibrow Freak in New Orleans..

I second this. As the game has evolved, the value if the three has been more and more understood, and more and more utilized.

MonroeFAN
03-27-2014, 05:57 PM
That's a lot of blocks. I have to agree with the other posters, I think this record stands still.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-27-2014, 06:02 PM
you cant say forever

smith&wesson
03-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Not with this era of C's in the league no.

there was a better chance with alonzo, ben wallace, shaq, hakeem etc.

howard, noah, hibbert, for example are not going to block 18 shots in todays nba.. no way no how. and if they came close the refs would take over the game and foul them out.

Raps08-09 Champ
03-27-2014, 07:56 PM
Depends on how the league shapes up. If there is a shift towards big men in the future, it can happen if there are more shots closer to the basket.

You need an athletic big man with great size to break it. Thought someone like Dwight could do it but he doesn't look like the same player back a few years ago with the Magic. Maybe The Drummond can do it if he can be more disciplined on defence. The player to break it isn't in the NBA right now.

JasonJohnHorn
03-27-2014, 07:59 PM

I third this! Though I think Noah has the chops to tally up some impressive block numbers. 17 though... un touchable.

Raps08-09 Champ
03-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Depends on the rules as well in the future. It is definitely harder now that you can't camp in the paint.

JasonJohnHorn
03-27-2014, 08:00 PM
you cant say forever

I didn't say it. I typed it. :-)

slaker619
03-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Not for another decade

JEDean89
03-27-2014, 09:02 PM
Anthony Davis might be able to top it, I know Bynum got 10 against my nuggets and I think maybe a guy like Embiid, Jahlil or Thon Maker coming in over the next few years could revamp the monster C position of old.

NBA_Starter
03-27-2014, 10:29 PM
I think it may stand forever.

mrblisterdundee
03-27-2014, 11:04 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and believe Wilt Chamberlain.

Shlumpledink
03-27-2014, 11:36 PM
With how athletic the league has become, I doubt it happens again. You have players from every team reaching higher than the other team's shotblockers (not named anthony davis or serge ibaka) can't reach, or just as high.

I can't see anyone blocking that many shots unless they have uncanny instincts and are able to jump at the same time or even before.

shep33
03-28-2014, 12:48 AM
That's tough to beat. I remember when Bynum had like 10 in the playoffs that one game. That seemed like a remarkable accomplishment.

Add 8 more blocks to that total? I think it's impossible in this day and age.

Lakers + Giants
03-28-2014, 01:12 AM
That's tough to beat. I remember when Bynum had like 10 in the playoffs that one game. That seemed like a remarkable accomplishment.

Add 8 more blocks to that total? I think it's impossible in this day and age.

Basically it would take 2 remarkable performances, in the same game. That's ****in insane.

shep33
03-28-2014, 01:25 AM
Basically it would take 2 remarkable performances, in the same game. That's ****in insane.

Yeah, I just don't see how it would be possible. 18 blocks? That's insane. I think Anthony Davis might have a couple 10 block games in his career (overtimes probably needed), but 18 seems impossible

slashsnake
03-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Yup, game has just changed too much. He averaged 5 blocks a game that year. Nobody in the NBA currently is even top 50 all time in number of blocks in a season (Ibaka at 66th last year is the best).

Interesting question to add on. Would you consider AK47 the best shot blocker inch for inch? I was just looking, and its pretty interesting. Among active players he's currently 4th in blocks per game (amazing as he hasn't been a good one the past while), and has 3 of the top 10 seasons among active players in blocks per game (including the #2 and #3 seasons). Figure Serge Ibaka is the best shot blocker of the past 5 years. Kirilenko was on the same exact pace his first 5 years. Not bad for a guy who played a lot of small forward.

asandhu23
03-28-2014, 11:05 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and believe Wilt Chamberlain.

You should because people who watched Wilt and Russell play said the same about both of them. Harvey Pollack kept stats on those.