PDA

View Full Version : True or False, IF Miami threepeat, they're one of the the top 5 teams all time.

Goose17
03-27-2014, 09:42 AM
Pretty simple.

People don't quite seem to realise how rare a threepeat is and how difficult it is too pull off (or they don't let on that they do).

Only a handful of teams have managed this, the Lakers back in Minneapolis, the Boston Celtics (8-peat) Russell/Cousy era, the Bulls Jordan/Pippen era and the Lakers again, in L.A Shaq/Kobe era.

If Miami join this elite group, will you consider them a top 4/5 team all time? Will the Lebron/Wade era be regarded as the same level as Russell/Cousy, Jordan/Pippen, Shaq/Kobe?

Slug3
03-27-2014, 09:52 AM
I would honestly have to go back and look up these other teams and think about it. But off the top of my head the Lakers/Bulls/Boston would all be ahead of them. Could even make a case for the Spurs who might not have 3peated, but have been a dynasty for like 12 years.

Walt
03-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Jordan's Bulls, Shaq and Kobe's Lakers, a Celtics dynasty and then the Spurs this past 15 years are all better. But they can make the 5th spot.

Goose17
03-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Jordan's Bulls, Shaq and Kobe's Lakers, a Celtics dynasty and then the Spurs this past 15 years are all better. But they can make the 5th spot.

So the answer for you is True, they are one of the top 5 teams of all time if they threepeat?

tredigs
03-27-2014, 10:07 AM

I'd also definitely add to them the Showtime Lakers and late 80's Celtics. Like the early Spurs and Shaq/Kobe Lakers, they took bites from each others dominance.

Miami simply isn't as good and doesn't have the relative dominance of these squads (I mean realistically that was what, the 7th or 8th best Spurs team of the past 13 years who nearly took them out in the Finals?). A 3 peat would be amazing and easily put them in the top 10 squads of all time, though.

FraziersKnicks
03-27-2014, 10:11 AM
I may be alone in thinking this but I really don't put a huge amount of value in the championships that were won in the 50's/60's considering there were only 8/9 teams in the league and you only had to win 10 games in the playoffs for the title.

Bill Russell's 11 rings obviously can't be ignored but it will never be matched because it's not that easy anymore.

WARRIORS@GR
03-27-2014, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't put them higher than the Warriors(2012-2014).

tredigs
03-27-2014, 10:29 AM
I may be alone in thinking this but I really don't put a huge amount of value in the championships that were won in the 50's/60's considering there were only 8/9 teams in the league and you only had to win 10 games in the playoffs for the title.

Bill Russell's 11 rings obviously can't be ignored but it will never be matched because it's not that easy anymore.

?

You're definitely in the majority in that line of thinking... to the point where I think those chips and that dynasty has now been brushed off and underrated. Overly stacked they may have been (in a league where yes there were far less teams, but also realize that the talent was saturated and there were no gimme teams relative to the Sixers/Bucks/Jazz, etc back then), but that doesn't take away from their dominance as a team - it enhances it.

If you're just talking about which squad could beat another, I think we're having a different discussion and in that case it's fair to argue this Miami squad over them. The others, though (2000's Lakers, 80's Lakers, 80's Celtics, 90's Bulls, 2000's Spurs), I'm pretty confidant would all beat this Miami squad.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-27-2014, 10:29 AM
3peating would put them into the top 5 stratosphere. I wouldn't say Top 5 teams, but that just coincides with a single year. Top 5 dynasty for sure.

But they don't compare to Jordan/Pippen until they get #5 or #6 or Russell's Celtics. If they win this year, they in my eyes are equal to the Kobe/Shaq era. 3 finals wins, 1 loss.

torocan
03-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Probably on the cusp. Top 10 for sure, maybe not quite top 5, or bubble at best.

I'd need to see one more run to the Finals after this year before I'd stick them in the top 5. They wouldn't even have to win another chip. Another season or two of Finals contention would do it in my mind since pretty much anything can happen in the finals.

D-Leethal
03-27-2014, 10:39 AM
They weren't dominate enough and barely squeaked by too many playoff series. Top 5 teams of all time are the teams that nearly sweep through the playoffs and dominate everything in sight. Not to mention, teams that didn't have the luxury of playing in one of the weakest conferences in NBA history.

goingfor28
03-27-2014, 10:40 AM
somewhere in that mix of course. top 5, i dont know bc i wasnt alive to see the minneapolis lakers, showtime lakers, 8peat celtics. but yes, they are definitely in the mix.

i voted for more GS/HOU threads though

D-Leethal
03-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Miami hasn't had a worthy rival in the East since they have been together, but they still let teams like broken down Boston and 49 win Indiana take them to the brink.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-27-2014, 10:44 AM
3 peat is a 3 peat either way you look at it. Even as a big Bulls fans who've watched the Heat beat a team starting Lucas and Belinelli in the backcourt, you can't just dismiss how big of an accomplishment it is because of not having a worthy rival. They've been taken to the brink by some very good teams, championship teams, and in this scenario they will have gone 3 years without losing any of those series anyway.

celtNYpatsHeels
03-27-2014, 10:50 AM

If you want to play that game.... The Heat play in possibly the worst conference (nevermind division) of all time in all major sports. There is only one other good team in the Eastern conference. Talk about sleepwalking to the Finals

Walt
03-27-2014, 11:34 AM
So the answer for you is True, they are one of the top 5 teams of all time if they threepeat?

I'm not old enough to know those big Celtics dynasties, but from my dad, grandfather, and hearing about them many many many many times on sites, I assume they are right at the very top. I know the Bulls, Lakers and Spurs franchises, been able to watch all of that. I think Miami can be that 5th team but there are probably other dynasties that I am unaware of. If they win this year and one or two more times over LeBron's career, then yes, I think they definitely are.

beliges
03-27-2014, 11:59 AM
Three peat or not, talent wise they are one of the top 5 teams of all time. It is unprecedented that 3 franchise players all team up to play on the same team during their prime.

abe_froman
03-27-2014, 12:30 PM
well ,lets look at the other dynasties
50's lakers
60's celtics
80's lakers
80's celtics
90's bulls
00's spurs
00's lakers

...they'd be in the mix ,but i dunno if i would

nastynice
03-27-2014, 12:30 PM
If you want to play that game.... The Heat play in possibly the worst conference (nevermind division) of all time in all major sports. There is only one other good team in the Eastern conference. Talk about sleepwalking to the Finals

I was about to say the same thing. Not to take anything away from either the historic teams of past, or the heat of current, just saying they're both in the same boat. If one doesn't impress you, I don't see how the other does. 3rd seed in the east = 10th seed in the west. If that's not a cakewalk, I don't know what is.

nastynice
03-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Three peat or not, talent wise they are one of the top 5 teams of all time. It is unprecedented that 3 franchise players all team up to play on the same team during their prime.

And add to that solid role players who want rings, like mike miller, ray allen, etc.

Talent wise they have to be the best. They just don't play too well as a team (compared to their talent level), cuz they were constructed by players rather than a front office.

abe_froman
03-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Talent wise they have to be the best.
i dunno about that ,all dynasty teams are loaded in much the same way that the heat are(not saying they arent,just saying its a coin flip,all dynasties are so stacked ,you cant make a definitive call as that.take a look at the 60's celtics,half the roster is in the hof;showtime had magic,worthy,kareem,wilkes,cooper,and mcadoo was still useful in limited role;ect.)

beliges
03-27-2014, 01:16 PM
And add to that solid role players who want rings, like mike miller, ray allen, etc.

Talent wise they have to be the best. They just don't play too well as a team (compared to their talent level), cuz they were constructed by players rather than a front office.

I dont know if I would go so far as to say they are the best ever talent wise. But they are certainly in that conversation. Id say they are right up there with the Showtime Lakers as far as overall talent is concerned.

Chronz
03-27-2014, 01:48 PM
I dont know if I would go so far as to say they are the best ever talent wise. But they are certainly in that conversation. Id say they are right up there with the Showtime Lakers as far as overall talent is concerned.

At their apex, I would agree, sadly, in both postseasons we've seen Wade and Bosh get injured to the point where they were either unavailable to play or greatly hampered. That Bron has won despite injuries to his 2 main pieces is why Larry Bird has compared it to the most dominant runs hes personally seen. The statistics prolly dont bare that out, but imagine if the team was at least relatively healthy for the post season.

3RDASYSTEM
03-27-2014, 02:14 PM

Its even been super stacked teams that didn't win it all but on the cusp that could possibly be right there, but as far as winning they would have to be up there going to 4 in a row, SHAQ led the lakers to 4 out of 5 stretch from 00-04 so they didn't go to 4 straight but did 3peat and HEAT would be doing both in 1 ride

nastynice
03-27-2014, 02:17 PM

Yea, there were a lot of talented teams, but I don't know, which one had THREE franchise players. The heat have 3 players you can truly build a franchise around. Now how they mesh together, and who doesn't get enough touches to play up to their potential, or whatever else, that's all another story. I'm strictly talking talent here. Shaq and Kobe are two. Duncan and Parker are two, I wouldn't consider Ginobli a franchise player. Jordan was one, Pippen is borderline. I pretty much started watching bball since the 90's, so I can't really say in depth about the teams of the 80's and before.

tredigs
03-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Yea, there were a lot of talented teams, but I don't know, which one had THREE franchise players. The heat have 3 players you can truly build a franchise around. Now how they mesh together, and who doesn't get enough touches to play up to their potential, or whatever else, that's all another story. I'm strictly talking talent here. Shaq and Kobe are two. Duncan and Parker are two, I wouldn't consider Ginobli a franchise player. Jordan was one, Pippen is borderline. I pretty much started watching bball since the 90's, so I can't really say in depth about the teams of the 80's and before.

Are you accounting for the fact that you could no longer build a team around Wade due to his inconsistencies and injury issues, or are you saying that without Lebron he would turn back into that guy who could be relied upon every night? Because personally, I'm taking prime Manu (and hell maybe even current Manu) over this version of Wade 10 times out of 10. And Bosh is a very good power forward who was a low end franchise talent, but I don't see them having the overall breadth of talent and inside/out dominance as a team like the late 80's Celtics with Bird/McHale/Parish/DJ/Ainge, etc.

lamzoka
03-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Jordan Bulls, Shaq and Kobe Lakers, Showtime Lakers, 80's Celtics, Spurs since 99, then Heat

slashsnake
03-27-2014, 02:55 PM

It is tough to call them franchise guys around Lebron anymore. Wade is out left and right and a shell of what he used to be on both ends of the floor. He has flashes, but lost the consistently great bit. I really wonder how he'd be as a franchise player where he would be playing 78 games a year on 38 minutes a game. There's games that have nothing to do with meshing that has me think Bosh has gone from a star to a role player. 0 points in game 7 of a finals. 6 points in a game Lebron was out for. This wasn't Magic, Worthy, and Kareem where any guy could be great. I would even say if I had the choice of Wade/Bosh in the past 2 years and this season, or Pippen and Grant/Rodman, I'd go with those guys. You can talk mesh all you want, but Horace Grant was just flat out more productive in his bulls championship years than Bosh in his championship years. Or Parker/Ginobili with the spurs. Or Garnett/Allen with the Celtics. Pau/Odom/Bynum over Bosh/Wade/Allen right now even looks better. Thorpe and Drexler even has an argument with Thorpe's play inside against the knicks in the finals.

numba1CHANGsta
03-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Spurs of the 00's
Lakers of the early 00's
Bulls of the 90's
Lakers of the 80's
Celtics of the 80's
Celtics of the 60's

I wouldn't consider them top 6, especially if you take account that every year there has been only 2-3 really good teams in the East and everyone else sucks. What made those teams in the 80's, 90's, and 00's is that they had a lot of competition.

nastynice
03-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Are you accounting for the fact that you could no longer build a team around Wade due to his inconsistencies and injury issues, or are you saying that without Lebron he would turn back into that guy who could be relied upon every night? Because personally, I'm taking prime Manu (and hell maybe even current Manu) over this version of Wade 10 times out of 10. And Bosh is a very good power forward who was a low end franchise talent, but I don't see them having the overall breadth of talent and inside/out dominance as a team like the late 80's Celtics with Bird/McHale/Parish/DJ/Ainge, etc.

It is tough to call them franchise guys around Lebron anymore. Wade is out left and right and a shell of what he used to be on both ends of the floor. He has flashes, but lost the consistently great bit. I really wonder how he'd be as a franchise player where he would be playing 78 games a year on 38 minutes a game. There's games that have nothing to do with meshing that has me think Bosh has gone from a star to a role player. 0 points in game 7 of a finals. 6 points in a game Lebron was out for. This wasn't Magic, Worthy, and Kareem where any guy could be great. I would even say if I had the choice of Wade/Bosh in the past 2 years and this season, or Pippen and Grant/Rodman, I'd go with those guys. You can talk mesh all you want, but Horace Grant was just flat out more productive in his bulls championship years than Bosh in his championship years. Or Parker/Ginobili with the spurs. Or Garnett/Allen with the Celtics. Pau/Odom/Bynum over Bosh/Wade/Allen right now even looks better. Thorpe and Drexler even has an argument with Thorpe's play inside against the knicks in the finals.

I don't know, I think you have to take chemistry into account. I find it hard to believe that a top 3 player 3 years ago has just vanished into nothingness simply because he fell off that far that quick. Same with one of the best bigs in the league 3 years ago. Wade's injuries should be taken into account, that makes sense.

Lakers + Giants
03-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Around 8th

beliges
03-27-2014, 03:33 PM
At their apex, I would agree, sadly, in both postseasons we've seen Wade and Bosh get injured to the point where they were either unavailable to play or greatly hampered. That Bron has won despite injuries to his 2 main pieces is why Larry Bird has compared it to the most dominant runs hes personally seen. The statistics prolly dont bare that out, but imagine if the team was at least relatively healthy for the post season.

LOL. This sounds typical. Yes, we all know Bron is amazing. Nobody is denying that. But at the same time, you're just sounding ridiculous by continuously discrediting his teammates. Sorry bro, but Lebron teamed up with TWO franchise players in their primes and joined one of the league's most talented teams ever assembled. With that team, he has able to win his first two championships. You can toot Lebron's horn as much as you can, and justifiably so, because he is great. But lets get something straight here, he started winning titles when he became part of one of the most talented squads in the history of the league.

Hawkeye15
03-27-2014, 03:44 PM
nah, they haven't been as dominate as other multiple championship teams, partly because of the way they came together, timing, etc. But if they are going to rank with Jordan's Bulls, the 80's Lakers and Celtics, the Spurs from the late 90's early 2000's, Russell's Celtics, or the Kobe/Shaq Lakers, they should have been absolutely blowing teams away in the easier east.

3-peat is a 3-peat, and ridiculously hard to accomplish, but from top to bottom, they wouldn't be a top 5 team ever to me.

Hawkeye15
03-27-2014, 03:47 PM
people have to remember, they are competing against a handful of teams that had multiple HOF'ers all in their primes, of which the Heat do not really. If this team was put together 3 years before it was, it absolutely would have the potential to be one of the top 2 teams ever.

i'myourdaddy
03-27-2014, 03:54 PM
LOL. This sounds typical. Yes, we all know Bron is amazing. Nobody is denying that. But at the same time, you're just sounding ridiculous by continuously discrediting his teammates. Sorry bro, but Lebron teamed up with TWO franchise players in their primes and joined one of the league's most talented teams ever assembled. With that team, he has able to win his first two championships. You can toot Lebron's horn as much as you can, and justifiably so, because he is great. But lets get something straight here, he started winning titles when he became part of one of the most talented squads in the history of the league.

So name one team beside the Piston of 2004 that won a ship without two franchise players? So Lebron took the crappy Cavs to ECF and NBA Final back to back doesn't mean anything? You sound like a typical Lebron haters. LOL the Heat team is the most talented? Beside the big 3, the rest of them are barely starter on any other team.

Wade last two years play in 49 & 69 games, yeah Wade is really in his prime. I would put this Heat team on par with the Lakers team 3 peat with Shaq & Kobe, even if the Heat don't win it all this year since the Lakers didn't win it all in 2012 either :D (sorry have to put it in there Kings fan, although we blow it on the FT lines in game 7)

BoSox47
03-27-2014, 03:55 PM

Quite the contrary

Soo imagine if the league went back to ten teams. Then all the good players from the other 20 now went to those good teams and all the bad players were off and the level of competition you were facing on each night is better because you are facing a roster that top to bottom is more stacked and all the best players are concetrated to ten teams, therefore it would make it harder to win a championship year in and year out because you have the best of the best going at it every night.

You come down to the 10 playoff games where you are going up against the BEST players in the league. If anything it was harder back then, then compared to todays watered down teams.

Harder to beat 10 teams with 150 of the best players then 30 teams with 450 of the best players, year in and year out.

Chronz
03-27-2014, 04:02 PM
Where did I discredit them again? If you ca highlight any specific point (made by Larry Bird or myself), PLZ do so.

I already agreed with you on their talent, at their apex they seemed poised to be that kind of team, sadly those facts I mentioned earlier will forever stain their ranking as a trifecta. Hell, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Wilt Chamberlain should have been the best team ever, but Elgin wasn't healthy much longer, and they had a dunce coach who held them back the only year he was.

Chronz
03-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Quite the contrary

Soo imagine if the league went back to ten teams. Then all the good players from the other 20 now went to those good teams and all the bad players were off and the level of competition you were facing on each night is better because you are facing a roster that top to bottom is more stacked and all the best players are concetrated to ten teams, therefore it would make it harder to win a championship year in and year out because you have the best of the best going at it every night.

You come down to the 10 playoff games where you are going up against the BEST players in the league. If anything it was harder back then, then compared to todays watered down teams.

Harder to beat 10 teams with 150 of the best players then 30 teams with 450 of the best players, year in and year out.

If all were equal and the pool of players were the same, then yes, there would be more concentrated talent. I dont know if league wide talent has grown/diminished in response to expansion, I feel like it levels out eventually but there is definitely some kind of shift.

All I know is that those Celtics STILL had a significant edge in talent, and they retained that talent by playing in an era with very little player movement and a superb mastermind making all the changes they did experience. That type of dynasty could not exist in any other era, not with more competitors being able to absorb that talent league wide.

beliges
03-27-2014, 04:33 PM
Where did I discredit them again? If you ca highlight any specific point (made by Larry Bird or myself), PLZ do so.

I already agreed with you on their talent, at their apex they seemed poised to be that kind of team, sadly those facts I mentioned earlier will forever stain their ranking as a trifecta. Hell, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Wilt Chamberlain should have been the best team ever, but Elgin wasn't healthy much longer, and they had a dunce coach who held them back the only year he was.

Sorry but every team has gone through injuries. However minor. You discredit his teammates by claiming his teammates were hurt and Lebron had to carry the load. True Lebron carried the load but Miami was no more injured the last few years as any other team that plays well deep into the playoffs. The fact of the matter remains is that Miami is one of the most talented teams to ever be assembled in NBA history.

Chronz
03-27-2014, 04:41 PM
Sorry but every team has gone through injuries. However minor. You discredit his teammates by claiming his teammates were hurt and Lebron had to carry the load. True Lebron carried the load but Miami was no more injured the last few years as any other team that plays well deep into the playoffs. The fact of the matter remains is that Miami is one of the most talented teams to ever be assembled in NBA history.
Minor injuries are one thing, major injuries are quite another. And you do realize that you cant discredit someone by stating a fact, its is a FACT that Wade/Bosh suffered injuries that limited them. So much so, that Larry Legend thinks it may have very well been the best run in history by an individual.

We both disagree with that claim, amirite ? But one thing you cant disagree with are facts.
So again, where did I discredit them? Try not pointing out a fact this time and try using some when giving your opinion of the most talented teams in NBA History.

beliges
03-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Minor injuries are one thing, major injuries are quite another. And you do realize that you cant discredit someone by stating a fact, its is a FACT that Wade/Bosh suffered injuries that limited them. So much so, that Larry Legend thinks it may have very well been the best run in history by an individual.

We both disagree with that claim, amirite ? But one thing you cant disagree with are facts.
So again, where did I discredit them? Try not pointing out a fact this time and try using some when giving your opinion of the most talented teams in NBA History.

Neither Wade nor Bosh suffered major injuries. You act like both Wade and Bosh suffered injuries and they were out and Lebron had to carry the load like the superhero he is. Any player playing in the Finals is banged up in some shape or form. When you play that much, you're banged up. There will come a time when Lebron will have to win a title without having one of the best supporting casts in the entire league. That will amaze me much more than the Heat winning their titles the way they did the last few seasons. But at the end of the day, the best of the best always find ways to win and Lebron has done that.

Chronz
03-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Neither Wade nor Bosh suffered major injuries.
They certainly werent minor. Bosh was forced to miss extended time during their run, Wade's injuries have been so serious that they have changed how he plays and rehabs to this day, so the fact that the injury has plagued him into this season clearly destroys your opinion. Again these are all facts, if you wish to support your opinion with them, by all means, start doing so.

You act like both Wade and Bosh suffered injuries and they were out and Lebron had to carry the load like the superhero he is.
Nope, if I was, I would have cited them not playing as a result, the reason I didn't is because it didn't happen. I cite facts, not exaggerations. Try it sometime.

Any player playing in the Finals is banged up in some shape or form. When you play that much, you're banged up.
Its one thing to be banged up, its quite another to play through a significant injury. One so significant that it still shapes how you play well into the next season.

There will come a time when Lebron will have to win a title without having one of the best supporting casts in the entire league. That will amaze me much more than the Heat winning their titles the way they did the last few seasons. But at the end of the day, the best of the best always find ways to win and Lebron has done that.
If you ask Larry Bird, hes already impressed him the most, and I dont buy what you're trying to convey but your free to feel whatever you wish, without a basis for comparison, I cant really break it down.

nycericanguy
03-27-2014, 06:57 PM
I think you could definitely still build around Wade... I mean he's a bit injury prone but he's not exactly D Rose or Amare in terms of injuries.

People exaggerate his demise and injuries, he played in more games last year than Melo and Love for instance.

He's been a 20/5/5 player the last 2 years on 53%, there's no question in my mind he could put up 25/7/5 on 48% as a #1 option.

I mean is CP3 not a franchise player anymore just because he misses 18-20 games a year? Love? Melo... Curry...etc...

as for the thread title... no i don't think they are, they haven't been as dominate enough... and I mean let's be real, who DIDN"T think they'd win 3-4 titles when those 3 teamed up?

Miltstar
03-27-2014, 07:05 PM
its a tough question because they were expected to be more dominant then they have been! I can name a bunch of teams I think are better then the heat but Miami has had the luxury of a soft Eastern conference and some mediocre finals match ups. A three-peat would be impressive yes, but they just don't have that net presence like Shaq or Russell or Hakeem that the greatest teams IMO have had. Jordan's Bulls were obviously the exception to that but Wade and Lebron dont quite stack up to MJ and Scottie P

Supreme LA
03-27-2014, 07:44 PM
I say no because they I have to take into account the teams they faced getting out of the East. Had they done this battling out of the West every postseason then I would certainly have them in the conversation. I just can't because of how horrible the whole Eastern Conference had been.

Hawkeye15
03-27-2014, 07:49 PM
I think you could definitely still build around Wade... I mean he's a bit injury prone but he's not exactly D Rose or Amare in terms of injuries.

People exaggerate his demise and injuries, he played in more games last year than Melo and Love for instance.

He's been a 20/5/5 player the last 2 years on 53%, there's no question in my mind he could put up 25/7/5 on 48% as a #1 option.

I mean is CP3 not a franchise player anymore just because he misses 18-20 games a year? Love? Melo... Curry...etc...

as for the thread title... no i don't think they are, they haven't been as dominate enough... and I mean let's be real, who DIDN"T think they'd win 3-4 titles when those 3 teamed up?

At this point (and over the last 2 years), Wade is no longer a #1 option that needs to be depended on. His crashing style of play in his 20's meant he was eventually going to suffer injuries. Imagine how broken down he would be late the last 2 years if he was putting up those numbers you suggest he could, and playing the minutes/role necessary to do so. He would gimp into the playoffs both years.

Like I said earlier, if this team was formed 3 years prior, they would have run off 3-4 straight titles no problem. But, it is what it is.

Btw, Love suffered freak injuries last year, Melo was banged up with all sorts of injuries all year as well. They are both usually much more physically reliable than that.

Kevj77
03-27-2014, 08:22 PM
They'd be in the conversation. Showtime Lakers, Russell Celtics, Bird Celtics, Jordan Bulls, Shaq/Kobe Lakers and Duncan/Pop Spurs all have legitimate claims to the top 5 as well.

nycericanguy
03-27-2014, 08:29 PM
At this point (and over the last 2 years), Wade is no longer a #1 option that needs to be depended on. His crashing style of play in his 20's meant he was eventually going to suffer injuries. Imagine how broken down he would be late the last 2 years if he was putting up those numbers you suggest he could, and playing the minutes/role necessary to do so. He would gimp into the playoffs both years.

Like I said earlier, if this team was formed 3 years prior, they would have run off 3-4 straight titles no problem. But, it is what it is.

Btw, Love suffered freak injuries last year, Melo was banged up with all sorts of injuries all year as well. They are both usually much more physically reliable than that.

But Wade doesn't play like that anymore, he's slowing evolved into more of a post player and he picks his spots.

Really though, forget my numbers, even if he "only" put up 20/5/5 as a #1 option, that's still a dominant player. How many guys in the league can put up 20/5/5 besides Lebron? KD is also doing it this year... but either way, it's a very short list.

now he's not a guy you can build around long term obviously at this point, but this year? last year?... the year before... absolutely he's still a franchise player to me... and probably for the next 1-2 years after as well.

Hawkeye15
03-27-2014, 08:42 PM
But Wade doesn't play like that anymore, he's slowing evolved into more of a post player and he picks his spots.

Really though, forget my numbers, even if he "only" put up 20/5/5 as a #1 option, that's still a dominant player. How many guys in the league can put up 20/5/5 besides Lebron? KD is also doing it this year... but either way, it's a very short list.

now he's not a guy you can build around long term obviously at this point, but this year? last year?... the year before... absolutely he's still a franchise player to me... and probably for the next 1-2 years after as well.

He hasn't even shown he can hold up physically as a #2 option with rest. I just don't buy that he is a #1 option on a good team anymore, over the stretch of 82 games, unless his #2-3 options are all star caliber players that can cover him missing time.

His playoffs in 2012 were ok by his standards, he was up and down. Last year, he was hot garbage by his standards in the playoffs, which is why I think LeBron had one of the more impressive playoff runs in years.

bagwell368
03-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Top 7 I'd say, 5 maybe.

jerellh528
03-27-2014, 09:04 PM
I immediately thought yes when I voted, but I forgot about some of the great teams mentioned in here. I'd say on the cusp of top 5. Top 7 without putting much thought into it. Show time lakers, birds celts, shaq-Kobe lakers, Jordan's bulls, bad boy pistons, russels celts are all up there.

Kingz4L
03-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Best teams to win 3 straight championships or more:

1. Bulls 96-98
2. Celtics 59-68
3. Bulls 91-93
4. Lakers 00-02
5. Could be Heat (Especially considering that it would be their 4th straight finals appearance)

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-27-2014, 09:28 PM
If we consider the fact that the Heat have faced the worst competition out of all the back to back champs, and are in the weakest eastern conference in league history, then the answer would be an easy no.

Kevj77
03-27-2014, 09:30 PM
I immediately thought yes when I voted, but I forgot about some of the great teams mentioned in here. I'd say on the cusp of top 5. Top 7 without putting much thought into it. Show time lakers, birds celts, shaq-Kobe lakers, Jordan's bulls, bad boy pistons, russels celts are all up there.I forgot about the bad boys three straight finals and back to back titles. What about the Spurs? Right now I'd have the Heat in the 6-7 spot just out of the top 5.

jerellh528
03-27-2014, 09:34 PM
I forgot about the bad boys three straight finals and back to back titles. What about the Spurs? Right now I'd have the Heat in the 6-7 spot just out of the top 5.

Yeah bad boys get overlooked. I'd have heat at 7 right now. Spurs I can't put at top team because I don't think they're particularly too dominant, but they have been probably the top franchise as a whole for the past 2 decades. Based on their consistency.

NYKNYGNYY
03-27-2014, 09:45 PM
yea I think they already are a top 5 team....been to 3 straight finals.........

NYKNYGNYY
03-27-2014, 09:46 PM

this

Kevj77
03-27-2014, 09:47 PM
Well the Spurs ran into the Shaq/Kobe Lakers getting eliminated by them three times in the early 00's. Does level of competition factor into the equation. They were really great just not better than Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

WadeKobe
03-27-2014, 09:53 PM
I'd also definitely add to them the Showtime Lakers and late 80's Celtics. Like the early Spurs and Shaq/Kobe Lakers, they took bites from each others dominance.

Miami simply isn't as good and doesn't have the relative dominance of these squads (I mean realistically that was what, the 7th or 8th best Spurs team of the past 13 years who nearly took them out in the Finals?). A 3 peat would be amazing and easily put them in the top 10 squads of all time, though.

Some would argue it was one of the three best spurs teams.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-27-2014, 09:57 PM
Well the Spurs ran into the Shaq/Kobe Lakers getting eliminated by them three times in the early 00's. Does level of competition factor into the equation. They were really great just not better than Shaq/Kobe Lakers.
Yup, if you factor in how pathetic the competition the Heat had to face it's not even close.

Some would argue it was one of the three best spurs teams.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL An old and beat up Spurs trio = The best. Now i've heard it all.

NBA_Starter
03-27-2014, 10:02 PM
If they can do it then I say true!

Trwood12
03-27-2014, 10:03 PM
It's a tough call. I don't think they quite get top five. Top ten for sure.

ThuglifeJ
03-27-2014, 10:05 PM
False. For their roster they should be way more dominant. It's sort of unexcusable for them to lose.

Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Spurs have all had multiple teams better than this Heat team by a wide margin really. I mean they're one of the better teams and better than like the Dallas Championship obviously but that's sort of due to their wack offseason moves with Bosh and Lebron. I'd take Shaq Lakers (3 years) Jordan Bulls (6 years) Old School Celtics (super stacked, many years), Showtime Lakers (Stacked, best offense ever, many years), Duncan Spurs (at least 3 years better, almost won last year at an OLD age), Jordan Bulls (all 6 years, especially the 72-10 Bulls who'm the Heat claimed would beat their record...).

If you take the ratio for old teams being less athletic and ahead of their time vs the Heat you could name more. Obviously the Heat would beat a 70s team otherwise

mrblisterdundee
03-27-2014, 11:28 PM
I think coaches also need to be given credit for the best teams:

1. Bill Russel-Red Auerbach Boston Celtics
2. Michael Jordan-Scottie Pippen-Phil Jackson Bulls
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar-Magic Johnson-Pat Riley Lakers
4. Shaquille O'Neal-Kobe Bryant-Phil Jackson Lakers
5. Tim Duncan-Greg Popovich Spurs
6. Lebron James-Dwyane Wade-Chris Bosh-Erik Spoelstra Heat, if they three-peat

If they don't three-peat, are the current Heat better than the Bad Boy (Isiah Thomas-Bill Laimbeer-Chuck Daly) Pistons?

Bostonjorge
03-28-2014, 12:02 AM
So name one team beside the Piston of 2004 that won a ship without two franchise players? So Lebron took the crappy Cavs to ECF and NBA Final back to back doesn't mean anything? You sound like a typical Lebron haters. LOL the Heat team is the most talented? Beside the big 3, the rest of them are barely starter on any other team.

Wade last two years play in 49 & 69 games, yeah Wade is really in his prime. I would put this Heat team on par with the Lakers team 3 peat with Shaq & Kobe, even if the Heat don't win it all this year since the Lakers didn't win it all in 2012 either :D (sorry have to put it in there Kings fan, although we blow it on the FT lines in game 7)

Dallas only had dirk when they won. Also that year wade missed how many games? Not any team mentioned so far lose to Dallas in those finals.

Also saying heat is only the big 3 and no one else is laughable. Beasley, Allen, Lewis, Haslem, Shane, Chalmers, oden, bird man and cole are all start starters in the east on 90% of the teams.

Chronz
03-28-2014, 12:08 AM
I say no because they I have to take into account the teams they faced getting out of the East. Had they done this battling out of the West every postseason then I would certainly have them in the conversation. I just can't because of how horrible the whole Eastern Conference had been.

I dont think so either but its not for the reasons you gave. So it has nothing to do with their actual ability? Did you treat your Lakers this way when they played in the cupcake West

dalton749
03-28-2014, 02:29 AM
Dallas only had dirk when they won. Also that year wade missed how many games? Not any team mentioned so far lose to Dallas in those finals.

Also saying heat is only the big 3 and no one else is laughable. Beasley, Allen, Lewis, Haslem, Shane, Chalmers, oden, bird man and cole are all start starters in the east on 90% of the teams.

they are role players,thats it
none of them are starting on a winning team with an impact on the win column at this point in their careers

Supreme LA
03-28-2014, 02:56 AM
I dont think so either but its not for the reasons you gave. So it has nothing to do with their actual ability? Did you treat your Lakers this way when they played in the cupcake West

When was the west ever cupcake? Blazers, Spurs, Kings, T-Wolves (KG, Sprewell, Cassell)?

No matter what time period you're basing you're judgement off of its nothing like how depleted the East has been. I don't mean to stir up trouble but wouldn't you agree this is how Bosh, Wade, and Lebron planned it? I mean, it went from have 3 more teams in the East with stars to build around to complete bottom feeders with only Miami having all 3 stars. I hope you're really not comparing that to the West at any time the Lakers battles through the West.

MyDRoseLikeDeng
03-28-2014, 03:45 AM
To answer the question, yes I do think they will be a top 5 team all-time if they were to three-peat. However, the NBA and basketball in general hasn't been popularized long enough to finalize a list of top 5 teams all time. I know, its kind of a cop-out answer, but I feel like in 20-30 years, they will be passed up on the list by a couple more dynastys who may have dominated the league even more than Miami has the past several years.

Munkeysuit
03-28-2014, 05:27 AM
If Heat 3 peat, thats 4 rings for Wade and Haslem and 3 a piece for Chalmers, Bosh, Ray and Lebron, oh and not to mention Norris Cole and Battier too. I am not so sure there have been many teams more decorated than this Miami Heat team should they win 3 in a row. Top 5 teams all time? they just might already be even without the 3 peat, but if they do accomplish that feat? then they will definitely be top 5 all time in my honest opinion.

beliges
03-28-2014, 10:39 AM
If Heat 3 peat, thats 4 rings for Wade and Haslem and 3 a piece for Chalmers, Bosh, Ray and Lebron, oh and not to mention Norris Cole and Battier too. I am not so sure there have been many teams more decorated than this Miami Heat team should they win 3 in a row. Top 5 teams all time? they just might already be even without the 3 peat, but if they do accomplish that feat? then they will definitely be top 5 all time in my honest opinion.

Hard to argue against them not being top 5 ever strictly on talent.

D-Leethal
03-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Its not so much the fact itself that the East has had no worthy (by worthy I mean perennial championship contender) opponents during their run, its the fact that they haven't been able to dominate the unworthy competition.

lol, please
03-28-2014, 12:49 PM
What an asinine statement. Of course not.

Tony_Starks
03-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Nope, competition matters. The Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Spurs, and other Lakers had to go through hell just to get to the Finals.

The Heat basically gets a bye to ECF and has still almost got knocked off a couple times. Honestly with the historically pathetic tank contest going on they should win 70 games easy...

Bruno
03-28-2014, 01:25 PM
60's Celtics, 80's Celtics, 80's Lakers, 90's Bulls, 2000's Lakers, 2000's Spurs.

pretty tough to knock any of these teams out when you're soft like jelly in the middle. the bulls did what the heat do today but they did it better. elite team with no center presence.

still1ballin
03-28-2014, 05:43 PM
They're in the east. Enough said.

beliges
03-28-2014, 05:51 PM

Do you simply say things just to try to make the Lakers look bad? I do not get it. Obviously you have no clue about the NBA pre Lebron. The West was far far far from a cupcake during any of the Lakers' 5 Championships in the 00s. I wish I can say I am shocked by the lack of knowledge on these forums, but unfortunately, it is no longer shocking.

KnicksorBust
03-28-2014, 05:55 PM
I don't even see how this is a question. Of course the answer is yes. LeBron/Wade/Bosh/Ray Allen. Those are 4 Hall of Fame players. Who did they beat in the Finals? Kevin Durant and the Thunder and then Duncan/Pop and the Spurs. That's a real challenge.

No doubt in mind they are a top 5 GOAT team and I predict the 3-peat does occur. TBH I see a 4-peat.

king4day
03-28-2014, 06:37 PM
It would depend on how this year is handled. If they beat Indy and then a more convincing Finals win than last year, it could sway some minds.

As is, I just don't think these teams would have beaten Jordan's Bulls, Duncan's 00's Spurs or the first LAL 3peaters.
That doesn't take anything away from what they have done though.

KnicksorBust
03-28-2014, 09:43 PM
It would depend on how this year is handled. If they beat Indy and then a more convincing Finals win than last year, it could sway some minds.

As is, I just don't think these teams would have beaten Jordan's Bulls, Duncan's 00's Spurs or the first LAL 3peaters.
That doesn't take anything away from what they have done though.

Lol.

How can you include the Spurs when... ya know.... they just beat them last year?

NBA_Starter
03-28-2014, 09:59 PM
I really don't see an argument against it here.

Chronz
03-29-2014, 01:19 PM
When was the west ever cupcake? Blazers, Spurs, Kings, T-Wolves (KG, Sprewell, Cassell)?
The late 80's when all the contenders had dried up via injury or drugs.

No matter what time period you're basing you're judgement off of its nothing like how depleted the East has been.
Maybe, but care to back it somehow?

I don't mean to stir up trouble but wouldn't you agree this is how Bosh, Wade, and Lebron planned it? I mean, it went from have 3 more teams in the East with stars to build around to complete bottom feeders with only Miami having all 3 stars. I hope you're really not comparing that to the West at any time the Lakers battles through the West.
The Raptors were of no consequence and Miami may have been with Wade and Bosh teaming together. It took Cleveland out of the game for sure tho, but really, can you blame LeBron for not staying in a market that was undesirable to free agent that also compounded the issue with managerial negligence? Other contenders emerged, had Rose not gotten injured, I fully believe they could have won the East. The Pacers are built for the playoffs and were worthy of respect despite a middling win count IMO. I have no doubt that the East has some weak opponents, but they do have some stellar defensive teams.

I havent looked it up or anything, but dont you get the feeling that the 2 conferences play a slightly different style and pace? The West is harder to win, would just like to see some insight to your guys evaluation methods.

Chronz
03-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Do you simply say things just to try to make the Lakers look bad? I do not get it.
Because hes a fan of said team, had he been a fan of another team, I would have tried to find a different corollary, you all caught up now?

Obviously you have no clue about the NBA pre Lebron. The West was far far far from a cupcake during any of the Lakers' 5 Championships in the 00s. I wish I can say I am shocked by the lack of knowledge on these forums, but unfortunately, it is no longer shocking.

Funny how you limit my knowledge to post-LeBron yet limit yourself to simply the 2K Era. Learn about the NBA Pre-Kobe why dont you.

beliges
03-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Do you simply say things just to try to make the Lakers look bad? I do not get it.
Because hes a fan of said team, had he been a fan of another team, I would have tried to find a different corollary, you all caught up now?

Obviously you have no clue about the NBA pre Lebron. The West was far far far from a cupcake during any of the Lakers' 5 Championships in the 00s. I wish I can say I am shocked by the lack of knowledge on these forums, but unfortunately, it is no longer shocking.

Funny how you limit my knowledge to post-LeBron yet limit yourself to simply the 2K Era. Learn about the NBA Pre-Kobe why dont you.

Dude you made a comically ignorant rant about how the West was a cake walk in the 00s. No need to engage in personal attacks now just because somebody finally called you out on your ridiculously one sided and bias views.

SouthSideRookie
03-29-2014, 02:33 PM
I don't even see how this is a question. Of course the answer is yes. LeBron/Wade/Bosh/Ray Allen. Those are 4 Hall of Fame players. Who did they beat in the Finals? Kevin Durant and the Thunder and then Duncan/Pop and the Spurs. That's a real challenge.

No doubt in mind they are a top 5 GOAT team and I predict the 3-peat does occur. TBH I see a 4-peat.

The OKC team Miami beat is way better than just about every opponent the Spurs and even Lakers faced in the Finals during their runs.

Lol.

How can you include the Spurs when... ya know.... they just beat them last year?

Maybe we should be asking if the Spurs would have 4 titles if they would have been challenged by a team of the caliber of Miami.

Bottom line is any champion will tell you, the hardest thing to do is repeat. Miami should be considered top 5 if they 3-peat.

torocan
03-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Maybe we should be asking if the Spurs would have 4 titles if they would have been challenged by a team of the caliber of Miami.

Um, considering that the Spurs were 16s away from a championship with a 36 year old Duncan vs LAST year's Miami in their prime... yah, I'd take the Spurs in their prime over the Heat any day of the week.

And considering TWO of those championship were during the Kobe/Shaq Lakers, that's pretty darn far from facing pushovers. The Kobe/Shaq Lakers would have crushed the Heat as well.

Heck, even the 2006/7 Jazz weren't exactly pushovers with DWill, Boozer, Millsap, Kirilenko, and Derek Fisher.

The Heat are good. However, trying to discredit the competition that the Spurs had to go through when they were facing the Kobe/Shaq Lakers many seasons just to GET to the Finals is pretty weak.

Chronz
03-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Dude you made a comically ignorant rant about how the West was a cake walk in the 00s.
I challenge you to prove that. Again, learn about the nba pre-Kobe

No need to engage in personal attacks now just because somebody finally called you out on your ridiculously one sided and bias views.
Dont play the victim, I literally used the EXACT same insult that you flung at me.

DR_1
03-29-2014, 05:13 PM
6 years of Jordan and Pippen on them say hello. Don't forget Magic's Lakers, Bird's Celtics, Russell's Celtics, Shaq and Kobe's Lakers, the recent Spurs, and a bunch I am surely forgetting.

For sure a good team, but don't disrespect the greats.

amos1er
03-29-2014, 06:16 PM
False and here is why...

- Their first championship came in a lock out season.

- They colluded to come together in the first place and took less money to do so.

- The competition they faced is not worthy of being considered even a top ten team of all time.

- Lebron's flopping... Nuff said.

amos1er
03-29-2014, 06:27 PM
The OKC team Miami beat is way better than just about every opponent the Spurs and even Lakers faced in the Finals during their runs.

:laugh: is all I can say to this ridiculous claim.

Are you high??? Lebron and Wade's Heat barely made it past an aged broken down Spurs team by the skin of their teeth even with HCA. Are you really foolish enough to believe that they could have beaten a Spurs team with a prime Duncan, Ginobili, or Parker. What about the twin towers??? The Spurs didn't even have the greatest perimeter defender of their championships runs in Bowen when they nearly beat down the Heat in six games. Imagine Lebron having to go up against him. Spurs would win in five most likely. Without the luxury of playing in the weak east and cakewalking to the finals every year with an unfair HCA that the west teams have to actually earn by playing good teams and not coasting through the regular season and playoffs the Heat might not even make it to the finals every year, and when they got their, the wouldn't be nearly as fresh. That has to be held against them when comparing them with the greatest teams of all-time.

Bottom line is any champion will tell you, the hardest thing to do is repeat. Miami should be considered top 5 if they 3-peat.

There are too many asterisks to count with this current Miami team. Top five team, no way... Not even close.

SouthSideRookie
03-29-2014, 09:28 PM
Um, considering that the Spurs were 16s away from a championship with a 36 year old Duncan vs LAST year's Miami in their prime... yah, I'd take the Spurs in their prime over the Heat any day of the week.

And considering TWO of those championship were during the Kobe/Shaq Lakers, that's pretty darn far from facing pushovers. The Kobe/Shaq Lakers would have crushed the Heat as well.

Heck, even the 2006/7 Jazz weren't exactly pushovers with DWill, Boozer, Millsap, Kirilenko, and Derek Fisher.

The Heat are good. However, trying to discredit the competition that the Spurs had to go through when they were facing the Kobe/Shaq Lakers many seasons just to GET to the Finals is pretty weak.

The Spurs made the Finals because of the Westbrook injury. And yeah they almost won the thing but it took for one of their role players to shoot out of their minds and at a historic clip to just push the series to 7 and it still wasn't enough…there's always more than one way to look at these things.

All I'm saying is people try to discredit Miami's titles by saying they got off on weak competition, and if you look at the Final opponents of the teams I mentioned you'll see they were mostly weak teams. I never did say LA or the Spurs didn't beat great teams to get to the Finals because they did, just like Miami has beaten some more than worthy opponent to win theirs.

And no, I don't think any of those teams would "crush" a team with a prime Wade and Lebron. Lebron is the closest thing to Jordan.

SouthSideRookie
03-29-2014, 09:39 PM
False and here is why...

- Their first championship came in a lock out season.

- They colluded to come together in the first place and took less money to do so.

- The competition they faced is not worthy of being considered even a top ten team of all time.

- Lebron's flopping... Nuff said.

Lol

What about the Spurs first title? It came in a shortened season and against a cinderella team.

torocan
03-30-2014, 08:58 AM
And no, I don't think any of those teams would "crush" a team with a prime Wade and Lebron. Lebron is the closest thing to Jordan.

Kobe/Shaq would *CRUSH* Miami simply because of the presence of Shaq. Miami literally has NOBODY that can match up.

The same applies to the Prime Spurs. TD is literally a shadow of his former self. Even when you see TD play his best games right now, they are nowhere near how GOOD he was in his prime. There is literally *nobody* that Miami has on the roster that can even remotely slow down Tim Duncan in his prime, not to mention TD would dominate the rim defensively and that would seriously impair Miami's ability to score at the rim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC8NapbDkes

Miami's is winning with an atypical roster simply due to Talent. That works when you have Lebron and Wade and a shortage of "true" centers. The Heat can't contain Dwight as it is, and TD in his prime was MUCH better than Dwight. Without a Center, Miami would get crushed.

beliges
03-30-2014, 11:59 AM

Kobe/Shaq would *CRUSH* Miami simply because of the presence of Shaq. Miami literally has NOBODY that can match up.

The same applies to the Prime Spurs. TD is literally a shadow of his former self. Even when you see TD play his best games right now, they are nowhere near how GOOD he was in his prime. There is literally *nobody* that Miami has on the roster that can even remotely slow down Tim Duncan in his prime, not to mention TD would dominate the rim defensively and that would seriously impair Miami's ability to score at the rim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC8NapbDkes

Miami's is winning with an atypical roster simply due to Talent. That works when you have Lebron and Wade and a shortage of "true" centers. The Heat can't contain Dwight as it is, and TD in his prime was MUCH better than Dwight. Without a Center, Miami would get crushed.

All im gonna say is never ever compare Dwight to.TD. Its a major insult to TD.

waveycrockett
03-30-2014, 12:45 PM
I wish Wade and LeBron had teamed up earlier. If they were together in 2006 they would have maybe been the best trio of all time but Wade has really slipped the past 2 years he is not what he was. Bosh and LBJ have improved tho

SLY WILLIAMS
03-30-2014, 04:38 PM
3 straight wins is impressive but does not automatically equal a dominant team to me. The 76ers of Moses only won 1 chip but that team was more dominant in my opinion than Miami in any of the last 3 years. I guess it depends on how you view dominant. Is it a sure thing that this current Miami team would even beat the Shaq/Wade Miami team of years ago?

Kyben36
03-30-2014, 05:32 PM
i would agree, not happy to admit it, but the big 3 is strong, although, top 5 is high, Wade James and Bosh is a powerful trio.