PDA

View Full Version : Tristan Thompson

NoahH
03-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Why is Tristan Thompson so average? Thompson is a legit double-double threat every night. He rebounds well and can score...

but he doesn't block shots. Literally he doesn't block ANY shots. He's averaging 0.4 blocks per game, which is horrendous for an athletic 6-9 big man. He also averages less than 1 assist and 1 steal per game. Furthermore his FG% is MEH for a big man. He's sitting at 47% and a TS% of 51.9%, which isn't terrible, but it really isn't anything great. His PER is 14.4, which is below average. The final point is Tristan Thompson is a major liability at the defensive end. He's definitely declined a bit this year.

He's in his third year so at this point we would expect to start seeing some major improvement or is he just average? Why is he incapable of making any impact on the game besides points and rebounding?

Bookey
03-26-2014, 05:32 PM
You answered your own question...

jon32
03-26-2014, 06:02 PM
He's better than what I expected when they drafted him. But ya hes avg on a crappy team for the reasons you pointed out.

b@llhog24
03-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Being undersized doesn't help.

Sent via Tapatalk

WITZ
03-26-2014, 06:41 PM
You answered your own question...

Was about to post this :laugh2:

waveycrockett
03-26-2014, 06:43 PM
He needs to do what Aldridge did and bulk up and develop a post game. Until then he will just be a borderline starter on a bad team. He has the talent. I think if he goes to a better organization a fresh start can definitely help.

MrfadeawayJB
03-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Never thought he was super skilled. Every time I see him play he reminds me of a guy who is still raw and learning

NBA_Starter
03-26-2014, 09:10 PM
You nailed it.

Arch Stanton
03-26-2014, 11:16 PM
He should be coming off the bench. He hasn't really improved much. He doesn't have much of an offensive game and tends to hold onto the ball way too long. I guess he's decent at grabbing offensive boards. He's been a major letdown.

Nick O
03-27-2014, 01:45 AM
hes a good player.. but thats probably all hel ever be. hes the kinda guy who can get rebounds/ work hard score every now and then. a starter on a mediocre team. a good player tho. kinda like an amir johnson

Sadds The Gr8
03-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Suprised he's such a bad shot blocker. I thought that was the one thing that'd make him a good player

NoahH
03-27-2014, 04:45 PM
Suprised he's such a bad shot blocker. I thought that was the one thing that'd make him a good player

Me too. For a guy who averages 32 mins per game, 0.4 blocks is atrocious. He averaged a shade under 2.5 blks per game in college so i guess it just didnt translate.

Six-8-TheWizard
03-27-2014, 09:24 PM
He just isnt that skilled offensively. I see him as having a JJ Hickson type of career

Nick O
03-31-2014, 08:41 AM
people do realize averaging nearly a double double in the NBA is hard right. hes a talented guy

waveycrockett
03-31-2014, 08:45 AM
He is a talented guy. I think people are being wayy too hard on him. He is only 23 and came into the NBA very very raw. Everyone knew he came out of college early. Not to mention the Cavs are one of the worst teams in the NBA in terms of player development. A change of scenery is best for him for sure.

BALLER R
03-31-2014, 09:46 AM
He was drafted too high.

SportsFanatic10
03-31-2014, 02:49 PM
didn't he like switch shooting hands in the off season too?

WITZ
03-31-2014, 05:08 PM
hes a good player.. but thats probably all hel ever be. hes the kinda guy who can get rebounds/ work hard score every now and then. a starter on a mediocre team. a good player tho. kinda like an amir johnson

Co-sign this, he is a great hustle player but he is just to robotic on offense and tend to get blocked a **** load because he hardly ever goes directly to the hoop . But he is a hard worker and has improved a little each year. Best case scenario I hope for him is he becomes what Varajao is to the cavs a pesky ,energetic player that out hustles other players.

NoahH
04-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Co-sign this, he is a great hustle player but he is just to robotic on offense and tend to get blocked a **** load because he hardly ever goes directly to the hoop . But he is a hard worker and has improved a little each year. Best case scenario I hope for him is he becomes what Varajao is to the cavs a pesky ,energetic player that out hustles other players.

I think he's degressed a bit this year tbh.

John Walls Era
04-02-2014, 01:11 AM
Career journeyman if hes lucky. He probably needs a new team, somewhere a coach can show him what he needs to do to improve.