PDA

View Full Version : Whos feeling the most pressure to perform or even worse, WIN these playoffs?

Chronz
03-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Bron has that 3-peat pressure, KD has that first timer pressure, CP3 has that pressure of at least getting to the Conference Finals if not Finals, to finally get the masses off his back for his historical stats. Wade has the pressure to actually make an impact consistently. Spurs collectively have some pressure to finally reassert playoff dominance. Pacers have a few candidates as well.

lamzoka
03-25-2014, 03:28 PM
Winning- Clippers as a team

Perform- Paul George

FOBolous
03-25-2014, 03:31 PM
anything less than the conference finals is a failure for Indiana. i think CP3 has no excuse not to make it pass the conference semi-finals....he's never going to be on another team as talented as and deep his current team. Lebron has to 3peat if wants to challenge Jordan for GOAT status. The Warriors has to at least make it pass the first round with how much their fans hype them up. Dwight Howard also needs to make it pass the first round to prove his haters wrong.

NYKnickFanatic
03-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Melo.

KnicksorBust
03-25-2014, 03:43 PM
From the media: Indiana Pacers
They were the trendy pick to make the Finals and were looking like the best team in the NBA to start the season. A playoff collapse would be seen as a huge step back and put a large spotlight on under performers like George-Hibbert-Stephenson.

From themselves: San Antonio Spurs
Pop basically said last years finals would haunt him forever. This is their best and possibly last chance to avenge that loss.

P&GRealist
03-25-2014, 04:10 PM
Kevin Durant

This will be the end of his 7th yr with the Sonics/Thunder.

LeBron didn't win a title for 7 yrs in Cleveland before he made the move in season 8 to Miami.

Jordan won a title in his 7th yr in Chicago.

This yr is huge for KD.

Goose17
03-25-2014, 04:14 PM
People saying Clippers/CP3, Durant/OKC and Miami are right on the money.

The interesting thing is, some of the teams I thought would have pressure really don't. Brooklyn had pressure on them early in the year but that fell apart so quickly nobody expects anything from them now.

Houston, I assumed would have had pressure after forming a "big 2" with Dwight and Harden. But it seems like most people are just giving them a pass due to it being their first year with that unit and playing in such a deep conference.

New York had a pretty good season last year and I thought there was pressure for them to surpass that early on this year but much like Brooklyn, it fell apart so quickly, people have sort of given it a pass.

Warriors I expected to have pressure (and I think they did early on) to stay hot after last season and to live up to the hype that the mainstream media was creating for them, but it seems, they are now in the same place they were last year, not expected by many to do anything.

I expected Memphis to have more pressure after last years run.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Durant and CP3 have to be the top 2 choices, right? Paul George/Roy Hibber and Tony Parker/Tim Duncan are up there as well I would think.

Htownballa1622
03-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Durant.

It's amazing how much scrutiny Lebron got at this point in his career yet everyone just is ready to proclaim durant>lebron without criticism towards durant for not winning with much superior teams than those lebron led cavs teams

sens#11fan
03-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Westbrook in my opinion, a lot of people outside of the OKC fans want him gone. They don't think he can mesh well with Durant and will prevent him from winning a ring. In my opinion i think they can and will win multiple rings in the future, especially since the big three is getting weaker and the spurs are closing down(2-3 years) on their run. If you watch his games coming back from injury he was facilitating more and making better decisions. He'll make some bonehead plays a couple times in the game, but he is still important to the team.

Hawkeye15
03-25-2014, 04:18 PM
great question. I assume its still LeBron, because at this point, he needs to keep winning titles to make a jump up the all time rankings.

Durant is an interesting one. He really needs to start creating an individual legacy, which is tough to do in such a stacked west.

Paul is also interesting. As great of a player as I regard him, until he can get his team deep into the playoffs, no matter how well he plays, the masses will pile on him.

Great question. I think an argument can be made for multiple players/teams.

Goose17
03-25-2014, 04:19 PM
It's amazing how much scrutiny Lebron got at this point in his career yet everyone just is ready to proclaim durant>lebron

:nod:

ManRam
03-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Chris Paul has to have the most pressure individually. No more "excuses" for his teams (not that I think they are "excuses"). He's been considered a top-3 player, and one of potentially the greatest PGs to ever play. Team success is hugely important to him now.

KD has huge pressure for the first time. I'm sure there are a ton of narratives that will start flowing if he throws a stinker up there in an elimination series.

I think Indy and Paul George are still in their infancy that the pressure isn't too significant. Yeah, they should make the ECF, if almost by default, but I don't think it's end of the world if they don't.

The Heat always will have pressure and will be mocked unless they win it all, even with their recent successes. They'll always have the most external pressure. I think SAS has the most internal pressure...but the outside world won't give them crap.

Besides that, meh. Houston, GS and POR aren't in desperate situations at all. Memphis and Dallas never had championship aspirations, and PHX just making the playoffs is a huge feat in its own. The EC playoff teams outside the top-2 have no expectations, including Brooklyn. Anything those 6 playoff teams do is gravy. If the Knicks squeak in, whatever...they're not making a run and everyone knows it.

Goose17
03-25-2014, 04:22 PM
Question; If CP3/Clippers and/or KD/OKC don't make it past the conference final, how do you think "fans" will react?

Chronz
03-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Durant and CP3 have to be the top 2 choices, right?
The masses certainly seem to see it that way. I dont agree with why thats the case but I understand why these up coming playoffs are pretty much do or die time to some degree. If you were to ask me, Blake Griffin has more pressure on him because the reasons for the Clippers failing these past 2 years have very little to do with their offense, specifically because of CP3's stellar play. The guy has showed up. Blake has gotten injured the last 2 trips to the post season and has cost his team as a result. If he does it again, I feel like CP3 will take a big hit historically speaking. Blake is amassing quite the regular season resume in terms of accolades/recognition, its time for him to perform on the grandest stage.

CP3 is declining to the point where hes no longer the clear cut 3rd best player anymore, its sad that he has all this pressure mounting when hes not at his best anymore, I hope he gets enough help to revive talks of his place in history.

king4day
03-25-2014, 04:29 PM
OKC, if they don't win, it could spell a big change to their team.
If Miami loses, depending on how/when they get knocked out, it could cost them their dynasty.
Spurs only have so many chances left before Duncan retires.

Hawkeye15
03-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Question; If CP3/Clippers and/or KD/OKC don't make it past the conference final, how do you think "fans" will react?

Paul will be called a choker, even if he has a great series. Durant will probably finally star getting some criticism.

RCarlson85
03-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Durant.

It's amazing how much scrutiny Lebron got at this point in his career yet everyone just is ready to proclaim durant>lebron without criticism towards durant for not winning with much superior teams than those lebron led cavs teams

This is a good point. I think a lot of people seem to miss this or not want to mention it. When did Lebron (in Cleveland) ever have teammates like Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka? I don't know that he ever had one teammate (before Miami) that was as good as one of those guys let alone 2 or 3 of them at the same time. It's not like Durant was a rookie when he had these teammates so he wasn't ready to take a team to the finals.

I think the most pressure has to be on Durant just because everyone wants to name him the best player in the NBA over Lebron but that's not going to happen as long as he's ringless. I think he's gotten a pass somewhat because he seems like the nice/quiet superstar but eventually he's going to start feeling the pressure that Lebron had.

KnicksorBust
03-25-2014, 05:06 PM
I think Durant is still bullet proof. Westbrook is not the right side-kick for him.

Also, how is no one saying the Spurs? “I think about Game 6 every day,” Popovich said. “Without exception. I think about every play. I can see LeBron's first shot, and the rebound, and the second ...”

Hawkeye15
03-25-2014, 05:19 PM
I think Durant is still bullet proof. Westbrook is not the right side-kick for him.

Also, how is no one saying the Spurs? “I think about Game 6 every day,” Popovich said. “Without exception. I think about every play. I can see LeBron's first shot, and the rebound, and the second ...”

LeBron didn't have anything on Cleveland, but was being crucified by year 5.

The Spurs have 4 chips with this regime, they don't need to do anything else to cement themselves. Pops and crew may have enormous pressure from themselves, but fans aren't going to say a word if they lose.

LAKobeBryant
03-25-2014, 05:24 PM
KD, all those interviews he did this year saying he's tired of being second. Unless getting MVP is his only intent. And Miami, all those talks about pacers better than Miami, 3peat and performance will have a big impact this year FA market

KnicksorBust
03-25-2014, 05:34 PM
LeBron didn't have anything on Cleveland, but was being crucified by year 5.

The Spurs have 4 chips with this regime, they don't need to do anything else to cement themselves. Pops and crew may have enormous pressure from themselves, but fans aren't going to say a word if they lose.

Right. So doesn't that make them the answer?

It's really going to depend on the performances of individuals in terms of blame but I don't think Durant feels any pressure. You all are answering a different question. Durant has ice-water in his veins. If there is anyone who is showing cracks in the armor it's the Indiana Pacers.

flea
03-25-2014, 05:36 PM
No one has really mentioned the Grizzles, but I think they have at least a return the WCF on their minds. They've got Lee, who is kind of what they needed all along. Conley is in his prime now and is very underrated while the rest of the team is full of players at or past their primes looking to win now.

I think a Grizz/Pacers finals would be a hilariously cool way for this postseason to go.

Clippersfan86
03-25-2014, 05:43 PM
Agree with others about the Clippers deserving a mention. Although I disagree with Chronz on CP3 vs Griffin as usual and who should carry more of the blame. As Chronz mentioned Blake was injured both years.. but more importantly this will only be his 3rd playoff experience and it's looking like his only one healthy himself and with a relatively healthy squad, good enough to get deeper.

I think CP3 has more pressure in the sense that despite Blake's emergence this year, people still think of this as CP3's team. He's got 5 extra seasons under his belt and is far more respected/highly touted league wide. He's IN his prime, on a slight decline from peak.. where as Blake isn't even in his prime yet.

It's dumb to make a blockbuster trade for a superstar in his prime and supposedly top 3 player, yet place most of the team's burden on the supposed second best player or star of the team, who's not yet in his prime and lacks playoff experience of CP3 himself.

So although we will only go as far as Blake takes us because of how dominant he is now... CP3 deserves more criticism by virtue of being far more experienced and being considered the superior player. This is of course assuming both perform well and the team falls short. If last year repeats and CP3 kills it but Blake is hurt and isn't good, then yea... CP3 doesn't deserve criticism.

As others have pointed out it's a team game, not an individual one. Thing is CP3 has a HUGE knack of disappearing against certain teams like the Spurs and sometimes OKC. If we play the Spurs and he gets shutdown like usual.. he's going to rightfully be crucified. Never have I seen Blake consistently held to 6 or 8 ppg like CP3 sometimes is. Blake's worst games of his career I think are like 8/8/3 and such. CP3 has those games more often than I'd like, often times against teams we need to beat.

Chronz
03-25-2014, 06:20 PM
Westbrook in my opinion, a lot of people outside of the OKC fans want him gone. They don't think he can mesh well with Durant and will prevent him from winning a ring. In my opinion i think they can and will win multiple rings in the future, especially since the big three is getting weaker and the spurs are closing down(2-3 years) on their run. If you watch his games coming back from injury he was facilitating more and making better decisions. He'll make some bonehead plays a couple times in the game, but he is still important to the team.

Good point, in some ways Westbrook is carrying more pressure than KD, people are really down on him and blame him more than KD for their failures.

Chronz
03-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Agree with others about the Clippers deserving a mention. Although I disagree with Chronz on CP3 vs Griffin as usual and who should carry more of the blame. As Chronz mentioned Blake was injured both years.. but more importantly this will only be his 3rd playoff experience and it's looking like his only one healthy himself and with a relatively healthy squad, good enough to get deeper.

I think CP3 has more pressure in the sense that despite Blake's emergence this year, people still think of this as CP3's team. He's got 5 extra seasons under his belt and is far more respected/highly touted league wide. He's IN his prime, on a slight decline from peak.. where as Blake isn't even in his prime yet.

It's dumb to make a blockbuster trade for a superstar in his prime and supposedly top 3 player, yet place most of the team's burden on the supposed second best player or star of the team, who's not yet in his prime and lacks playoff experience of CP3 himself.

So although we will only go as far as Blake takes us because of how dominant he is now... CP3 deserves more criticism by virtue of being far more experienced and being considered the superior player. This is of course assuming both perform well and the team falls short. If last year repeats and CP3 kills it but Blake is hurt and isn't good, then yea... CP3 doesn't deserve criticism.

As others have pointed out it's a team game, not an individual one. Thing is CP3 has a HUGE knack of disappearing against certain teams like the Spurs and sometimes OKC. If we play the Spurs and he gets shutdown like usual.. he's going to rightfully be crucified. Never have I seen Blake consistently held to 6 or 8 ppg like CP3 sometimes is. Blake's worst games of his career I think are like 8/8/3 and such. CP3 has those games more often than I'd like, often times against teams we need to beat.

Sounds like you agree with me in certain aspects, like CP3 being the guy whos shown up and Blake being the no show. Also we agree with the blame falling on whoever is most deserving (as you do when you recognize Blake could very well disappear again).

Saying its a team game but then reverting to the team only going as far as Blake takes them is where you've lost me. If Blake would have even played to 50% of his abilities last year, we would have gone further. So yes, we will most likely only go as far as Blake takes us, for the simple fact that hes the one whos held the team back these past 2 years. But to me, thats why he has just as much pressure as CP3, because hes the guy whos left him hanging. Both have enormous pressure IMO.

But plz stop with those "HUGE" exclamations. Despite regular season H2H matchups meaning very little, Ive seen you flipflop on the importance of those matchups depending on what it is you're arguing, so Im not putting any stock in that complaint/weak statistical claims.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-25-2014, 07:21 PM
Kinda surprised Dwight hasn't been mentioned as much. Is it because of low expectations for him and/or the Rockets or because it's only year one for him in Houston? I honestly think he's got more pressure than LeBron in these upcoming playoffs.

The masses certainly seem to see it that way. I dont agree with why thats the case but I understand why these up coming playoffs are pretty much do or die time to some degree. If you were to ask me, Blake Griffin has more pressure on him because the reasons for the Clippers failing these past 2 years have very little to do with their offense, specifically because of CP3's stellar play. The guy has showed up. Blake has gotten injured the last 2 trips to the post season and has cost his team as a result. If he does it again, I feel like CP3 will take a big hit historically speaking. Blake is amassing quite the regular season resume in terms of accolades/recognition, its time for him to perform on the grandest stage.

CP3 is declining to the point where hes no longer the clear cut 3rd best player anymore, its sad that he has all this pressure mounting when hes not at his best anymore, I hope he gets enough help to revive talks of his place in history.

I feel like he has the pressure he has because this is year nine and this is the best squad/coach he's ever had around him. He doesn't have any excuses now if he's eliminated in the first two rounds unless if Blake gets injured.

KnicksorBust
03-25-2014, 07:56 PM
Kinda surprised Dwight hasn't been mentioned as much. Is it because of low expectations for him and/or the Rockets or because it's only year one for him in Houston? I honestly think he's got more pressure than LeBron in these upcoming playoffs.

The easiest cop-outs from dealing with the pressure of getting eliminated are:

#1.) Injuries (best example - Chicago has nothing to lose and everything to gain)

#2.) Building Chemistry (best example - Rockets first year with Harden-D12)

#3.) Inexperience (best example -Suns but Warriors will still get a pass for 1 more year)

#4.) Seeding (best example - Grizzlies wouldn't get bad press losing to OKC or SAS)

IndyRealist
03-25-2014, 08:34 PM
From the media: Indiana Pacers
They were the trendy pick to make the Finals and were looking like the best team in the NBA to start the season. A playoff collapse would be seen as a huge step back and put a large spotlight on under performers like George-Hibbert-Stephenson.

From themselves: San Antonio Spurs
Pop basically said last years finals would haunt him forever. This is their best and possibly last chance to avenge that loss.

Lance Stephenson is the reason they had such lofty expectations, because he significantly outperformed his valuation the first half of the year. Now he's just ok, Paul George has regressed, and Roy Hibbert looks beaten down (again). Unfortunately, what we're seeing is regression to the mean.

Lance didn't get paid last summer and it irked him, then he got snubbed for the ASG. So he went out to "prove" he's really an all-star, by taking a whole lot of shots on his own. This broke our offensive schemes and destroyed team chemistry, and thus led to the team-wide decline, himself included. It's fugly basketball, and the Pacers don't stand a chance unless they start playing unselfishly again.

It might have been unreasonable to expect him to be unselfish the entire season, sacrificing his own numbers in a contract year while heaping praise on Paul George for essentially doing the exact opposite: breaking the offense to iso, taking contested shots, and hogging a ton of the possessions.

NBA_Starter
03-25-2014, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure about the most but I would say San Antonio is feeling the least!

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-26-2014, 02:17 AM
Bron has that 3-peat pressure, KD has that first timer pressure, CP3 has that pressure of at least getting to the Conference Finals if not Finals, to finally get the masses off his back for his historical stats. Wade has the pressure to actually make an impact consistently. Spurs collectively have some pressure to finally reassert playoff dominance. Pacers have a few candidates as well.

Your threads make my head hurt.

TylerSL
03-26-2014, 02:52 AM
It's Miami. Whether or not Miami wins will have a big impact on the future of the landscape of the league. If we fail to complete the 3peat than will we still be in a position to compete in the future as is, or will we feel the pressure to mix up the roster? We are a vastly aging team and if we can't get over the hump today it will be hard to believe will be able to do it tomorrow (especially if a team like OKC wins this year). Will Lebron pursue free agency if he feels the team has ran its course? With Wade being injured all the time and guys like Allen/Battier retiring the future is not guaranteed. Personally, I do not think the team will blow up but we have to be open to getting better, especially if we do not win.

However if you flip the script and we do complete the 3peat Lebron (and/or Bosh/Wade) could opt in for a 5th year or could terminate their current contracts and resign new contracts entirely (which is what I am hoping for). If I am Pat Riley and Miami wins the 3peat than I would as Lebron/Wade/Bosh to all opt out and sign new deals. After 3 straight championships and 4 straight Finals appearances he would be in a position to ask that of them IMO. After 4 straight years in the Finals why wouldn't they want to commit the rest of their primes in Miami to see how far we can take this.

Obviously Lebron coming to Miami was a huge success, but if we really want to build a truly great legacy we need to be able to sustain what we have. If Lebron decides to bolt, as highly improbable as it is, we could/probably would disappear off the NBA landscape which would completely change the NBA landscape as a whole.

jerellh528
03-26-2014, 03:01 AM
Cp3 easily IMO. He's constantly regarded as a top 3 player, he has a great team and he's not a youngin. Time to win.

shep33
03-26-2014, 03:10 AM
CP3 and it really isn't close for me. He's been a top 3-5 player for a while in my opinion, and he's had some talented teams ever since he's joined the Clips. His team right now is so stacked. Give that roster to LeBron, Kobe or Wade (in their primes) and I think that's easily the title favorite with a good chance of taking it home.

He has an elite bench, great shooters, a top 5 coach, plus a top 10 player in Blake, and he's in his prime. No excuses for CP3 outside of injury

Hawkeye15
03-26-2014, 05:54 AM
Right. So doesn't that make them the answer?

It's really going to depend on the performances of individuals in terms of blame but I don't think Durant feels any pressure. You all are answering a different question. Durant has ice-water in his veins. If there is anyone who is showing cracks in the armor it's the Indiana Pacers.

the pressure of 25 individuals on their own team compared to the masses?

No, not at all.

b@llhog24
03-26-2014, 07:19 AM
As long as Cp3 performs he'll always get a pass in my book. I'm more worried about his supporting cast than anything. So long as these guys play well the Clips are going to the finals

Sent via Tapatalk

MrfadeawayJB
03-26-2014, 09:38 AM
No one has really mentioned the Grizzles, but I think they have at least a return the WCF on their minds. They've got Lee, who is kind of what they needed all along. Conley is in his prime now and is very underrated while the rest of the team is full of players at or past their primes looking to win now.

I think a Grizz/Pacers finals would be a hilariously cool way for this postseason to go.

I think most people give the grizz a pass this season because of the coaching change, however if you asked the players they want it all if they get into the postseason

mightybosstone
03-26-2014, 09:42 AM
Lebron and the Heat are always going to have pressure on them, but they're coming off of back-to-back Finals and three straight appearances. With they're aging core and Wade falling off a bit, I don't think anyone will really blame them if they don't win a third straight Finals.

Personally, I think the most pressure is on the Clippers and Thunder. Chris Paul isn't getting any younger and with Blake and Jordan finally breaking out, they'll be expected to do a hell of a lot better than they've done in the playoffs the last few years. And for the Thunder, it kind of feels like championship or bust. They've been to the Finals before and came up short and they can use Westbrook as an excuse last season, but everyone is back and should be healthy come playoff time. Plus, with Durant a near lock at this point to win MVP, he's got to prove himself in the playoffs to make that MVP mean much of anything.

Others will bring up San Antonio and Indiana, but I disagree. If you're San Antonio, you're playing with house money. Sure you lost the Finals last year, but your best players are past their primes and everyone always overlooks you every season. They could lose in the first round and people will hardly remember a year from now. Plus, that franchise still has four freaking titles over the last 15 years, so not much pressure there. Indiana has far more pressure after taking Miami to 7 last year, but they've still got a relatively young core and people really only started taking them seriously a year ago. There will be pressure for them to beat Miami, but if they do, no one will really care what they do in the Finals.

KnicksorBust
03-26-2014, 11:13 AM
the pressure of 25 individuals on their own team compared to the masses?

No, not at all.

If the Clippers lose to the Warriors in the 1st round or the Thunder in the 2nd round... that will be media fodder for a week. They will swirl it around and spit it and then CP3 and Blake will be on a beach somewhere. If the Clippers lose in the Finals even better. They have taken a step forward and get to re-tool and do it again next year.

For the Spurs, it's completely different. First of all, there are rumors this may be Duncan's last season... http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24447691/tim-duncan-to-retire-after-this-season . If not this year, then definitely next year so this magical run is coming to an end soon. If they want another title they need to get it now. Second of all, if they lose in the 1st round that is a historic embarrassment as a heavily favored team. If they lose in a later round it's just as painful. If they lose in the FINALS, again, to the Heat, that is something that they would never get over. That's pressure.

KnicksorBust
03-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Lebron and the Heat are always going to have pressure on them, but they're coming off of back-to-back Finals and three straight appearances. With they're aging core and Wade falling off a bit, I don't think anyone will really blame them if they don't win a third straight Finals.

Personally, I think the most pressure is on the Clippers and Thunder. Chris Paul isn't getting any younger and with Blake and Jordan finally breaking out, they'll be expected to do a hell of a lot better than they've done in the playoffs the last few years. And for the Thunder, it kind of feels like championship or bust. They've been to the Finals before and came up short and they can use Westbrook as an excuse last season, but everyone is back and should be healthy come playoff time. Plus, with Durant a near lock at this point to win MVP, he's got to prove himself in the playoffs to make that MVP mean much of anything.

Others will bring up San Antonio and Indiana, but I disagree. If you're San Antonio, you're playing with house money. Sure you lost the Finals last year, but your best players are past their primes and everyone always overlooks you every season. They could lose in the first round and people will hardly remember a year from now. Plus, that franchise still has four freaking titles over the last 15 years, so not much pressure there. Indiana has far more pressure after taking Miami to 7 last year, but they've still got a relatively young core and people really only started taking them seriously a year ago. There will be pressure for them to beat Miami, but if they do, no one will really care what they do in the Finals.

How can you say the Clippers are feeling the most pressure? They have been rolling lately. They are 9-1 in their last 10 and could potentially get a top 2 seed. Indiana is the team that is cracking under the pressure. They were the best team in the NBA and are slowly slipping down the rankings as they struggle to get their chemistry back with Turner/Bynum.

LongIslandIcedZ
03-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Every year Lebron doesn't win he will face criticism. Its not super fair, but that's whats going to happen.

Pacers were such a trendy pick to finally unseat the Heat that perhaps they got overrated a tad. I don't know if they deserve the criticism they'll get if they lose.

Chris Paul will start being called a choker if he doesn't make it to the conference finals, despite how he plays.

Durant has another year before the media gets all over him, IMO.

beliges
03-26-2014, 01:12 PM
Every year Lebron doesn't win he will face criticism. Its not super fair, but that's whats going to happen.

Pacers were such a trendy pick to finally unseat the Heat that perhaps they got overrated a tad. I don't know if they deserve the criticism they'll get if they lose.

Chris Paul will start being called a choker if he doesn't make it to the conference finals, despite how he plays.

Durant has another year before the media gets all over him, IMO.

Criticizing lebron for not winning is fair given the team he has. The heat should undoubtedly make the finals. On the same note, Durant needs to show the world that he can carry a team as well. These two face the most criticism as they are the two best players in the world.

beliges
03-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Duncan and the spurs have nothing left to prove. Duncan has won.it 4 times and has cemented his legacy. Guys like lebron and durant are trying to get to that point.

DoMeFavors
03-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Lebrons team always has more pressure and if he loses will always get the most attention, we would probably hear ESPN talk about for months especially with free agency should the heat be blown up.

mightybosstone
03-26-2014, 01:51 PM
How can you say the Clippers are feeling the most pressure? They have been rolling lately. They are 9-1 in their last 10 and could potentially get a top 2 seed. Indiana is the team that is cracking under the pressure. They were the best team in the NBA and are slowly slipping down the rankings as they struggle to get their chemistry back with Turner/Bynum.

I'm talking about the mindset of these teams in the playoffs, not really right now. The core of this Clippers team formed three years ago and they were underwhelming in both of the last two postseasons. With Doc at the helm and this team peaking right now and playing as well as they've ever played together, there will definitely be more pressure than they've ever faced going into the postseason. If they don't at least make it to the WCF, they're going to face a ton of criticism, and it will probably be deserved.

You could make a strong case that Indiana is facing more pressure right now, but once the playoffs begin, they'll get one absolute train wreck of a playoff team in the first round and a pretty "meh" basketball team in the second. There's probably some pressure there, but they're just far more talented than any team in the East other than Miami. Really, I don't see much pressure until they face Miami. And even if they lose that series, I can't imagine them catching too much flack for it, considering they'll have lost to the greatest player in the world and a team that won back-to-back titles.

airforceones25
03-26-2014, 02:09 PM
As a Clippers fan there should most definitely be heat on us. We have been taking major steps in the right direction but anything less than a conference final should be a failure..

Also tired of the free pass KD has gotten since entering the league. Dude is world class and its time to prove it. LeBron was labeled a choker couldn't get it done etc… Regardless if it was fair or not. Its time for KD and OKC to take the next step or he's nothing more than a Melo in my eyes..

Spurs get a pass based off nostalgia purposes but you have to be somewhat disappointed in the fact they seem to lead the league's toughest conference every year or close to it and seem to fizzle out during the big game.

Miami gets a free pass.. Anytime you win 2 in a row and been to 3 straight you're allowed to come up short the following year.

Indiana is turning into a Clipppers like state although the east is much weaker… They need to take the next step but i'll give them one more year to make the jump.

slashsnake
03-26-2014, 04:14 PM
As a Clippers fan there should most definitely be heat on us. We have been taking major steps in the right direction but anything less than a conference final should be a failure..

Also tired of the free pass KD has gotten since entering the league. Dude is world class and its time to prove it. LeBron was labeled a choker couldn't get it done etc… Regardless if it was fair or not. Its time for KD and OKC to take the next step or he's nothing more than a Melo in my eyes..

Spurs get a pass based off nostalgia purposes but you have to be somewhat disappointed in the fact they seem to lead the league's toughest conference every year or close to it and seem to fizzle out during the big game.

Miami gets a free pass.. Anytime you win 2 in a row and been to 3 straight you're allowed to come up short the following year.

Indiana is turning into a Clipppers like state although the east is much weaker… They need to take the next step but i'll give them one more year to make the jump.

Good points. I think Miami and Indiana both have pretty good pressure because most people will say they only had to win one series (them in the ECF), and if one doesn't make it to the ECF, that will be seen as a bigger choke than just about any other team.

I think Miami will get anything but a free pass. Last year all post-season long the talk was about blowing up the heat if they couldn't win it all.

Clippersfan86
03-26-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm talking about the mindset of these teams in the playoffs, not really right now. The core of this Clippers team formed three years ago and they were underwhelming in both of the last two postseasons. With Doc at the helm and this team peaking right now and playing as well as they've ever played together, there will definitely be more pressure than they've ever faced going into the postseason. If they don't at least make it to the WCF, they're going to face a ton of criticism, and it will probably be deserved.

You could make a strong case that Indiana is facing more pressure right now, but once the playoffs begin, they'll get one absolute train wreck of a playoff team in the first round and a pretty "meh" basketball team in the second. There's probably some pressure there, but they're just far more talented than any team in the East other than Miami. Really, I don't see much pressure until they face Miami. And even if they lose that series, I can't imagine them catching too much flack for it, considering they'll have lost to the greatest player in the world and a team that won back-to-back titles.

I wouldn't go THAT far as to say "underwhelming". I'd say a bit disappointing but people exaggerate without knowing the details.

1. Blake was injured both years.

2. Vinny Del Negro was our coach. Need I say more?

3. We had multiple key guys injured both years.

4. Year one we got to the 2nd round and got beat by a clear favorite Spurs team who swept the Jazz and had 9 days rest. CP3 and Blake were BOTH injured, nevermind Butler who had a broken hand, Billups who was out entirely, and Mo Williams who had a torn ligament in his shooting hand. For the Clippers to have 9 new players and get to the 2nd round in CP3's first year on the team is IMPRESSIVE to me, not a knock. They beat the 4 seed Grizzlies as the 5 seed without HCA.

5. Last year the Clippers lost to a much healthier Grizzlies team who had 56 wins just like them. The WAY they lost was unacceptable, not so much the results. Losing by 13 ppg in 4 straight is the issue here, not losing a series to an equal foe who was healthier.

tredigs
03-26-2014, 04:57 PM
The leagues three best players all play on top teams: So Lebron, KD and CP3 should and will receive the most scrutiny. If there's a situation like Durant had last year in OKC where CP3 were to lose Blake in the 2nd game, then we might only hold it on him to make it out of round 1 (though that said, it's the West, and in reality they're far from a lock to make it out as is). Ultimately it will still be used against him, though, and he will begin to be compared to the likes of McGrady if they don't get to the semi-finals at the very least. WCF if he wants to make any kind of statement.

As is, Lebron's still the only one to proclaim the "Not 3, not 4", etc, and as he is still considered the leagues top player and has the same cast he chose, the onus of who will be most heavily scrutinized still will rightly fall on him. And with the way Indy is playing, I'm not sure the road to the finals will be as tough as we previously thought out East (which was already not tough at all by comparison).

Chronz
03-26-2014, 05:40 PM
If there's a situation like Durant had last year in OKC where CP3 were to lose Blake in the 2nd game, then we might only hold it on him to make it out of round 1 (though that said, it's the West, and in reality they're far from a lock to make it out as is).
Thats pretty much what happened last year, Blake went into the post season struggling with his health and it got worse after g2 iirc, despite this, CP3 led his team's offense better than KD did against the same foe.

Clippersfan86
03-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Chronz Paul tonight did what I said. Lately this crap is happening way too often. 0-12 shooting. No excuse at all.. dude had plenty of rest. He regularly has had that kind of shooting vs OKC and SA the last two years. If he does that in the playoffs, we are toast.

kdspurman
03-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Chronz Paul tonight did what I said. Lately this crap is happening way too often. 0-12 shooting. No excuse at all.. dude had plenty of rest. He regularly has had that kind of shooting vs OKC and SA the last two years. If he does that in the playoffs, we are toast.

It's not totally uncommon for guys to have bad shooting nights. Maybe it's just me but it seems the Clips have more than enough weapons to be able to win some games even if CP3 struggles shooting the ball. (Even though he did have 12 assists and only 2 turnovers)

Seems the bigger issue for you guys last night was being doubled up in points in the paint (56-28) and allowing 17 offensive rebounds for 19 second chance points.

torocan
03-27-2014, 09:30 AM

Meh, honestly if the Clippers or OKC don't make it to the finals this year, I would still lean towards giving them a pass depending on *HOW* they go out. If they go down fighting in a dog fight of a series, I don't think I can be too hard on them this year. If they don't get to at least 6 or 7 games, then yah... let the criticism begin.

The reason is simple.

The West is crazy, stupid, insanely tough and deep.

Looking at the top 8 seeds, is there *any* team where you would be Stunned if there was an upset?

Portland? Sure, it would be surprising if Portland upset one of the top 4 teams, but Portland isn't chopped liver. It's not like they're the Wizards. They're a truly elite offensive team despite their inability to defend real offenses. Puncher's chance for sure.

Memphis? They're the type of team you almost *expect* them to upset someone. There's a reason that NOBODY wants to play them in the first round.

Dallas? We've seen Dirk put the Mavs on his back in the play offs SO many times that it's no longer surprising. Toss in that Ellis and Calderon are streaky as hell, and you just can't count Dallas out. They're like the old guy with a limp that suddenly pulls out some amazing crossover and leaves you on your butt when you're not expecting it.

GSW? Top 5 defense, borderline top 10 offense, and the splash brothers? They can knock out *ANYONE* on any given night.

And that's without even looking at the Top 4.

No, while it's a disappointment if Durant doesn't take them to the finals, or the Clippers don't take that next step to the finals, if they went down in a dogfight in the 2nd round, heck if they went down in a dog fight in the FIRST round, I'd give them a pass as long as KD and CP3 brought it.

And the Spurs I definitely wouldn't hold it against them. I think most of us have a part of us that is aware that the Spurs fight against father time is going to end badly sooner or later. The questions are many. Will it happen in the post-season or regular season? Will it be this year? Next year? The following year? Will the big 3 and Pops retire on a high note or try to squeeze out one too many seasons?

No, the West is just too stacked, too deep, too competitive for me to get TOO worked up if any of the top 4 seeds get knocked out in the first round, let alone the 2nd round.

Now Indiana and Miami... if they BOTH don't end up in the Finals, you can expect the catcalls to come out. When your *toughest* road blocks are the Toronto Raptors (!) and a Rose-less Bulls, you have NO excuses to NOT be in the Finals if you want to call yourself a contender.

If any of the top 4 in the West were in Miami or Indiana's position in the East and didn't make the Finals, they'd be crucified and rightly so.

As for pressure on themselves, that has to be Indiana and the Spurs. Indiana wanted home court. Now they most likely have it. The Spurs were seconds away from another Championship. You know that's on their brain every single game this season. Neither team will accept nothing short of a run to the Conference Finals in their minds.

And Miami winning it all? 3peats are SO hard to do, I don't think I'd be shocked if they fell short. I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled it off again. It's a coin flip if they get to the ECF. And depending on who they face out of the West, you can consider them favorites, even up or slight dogs and I don't think you would be too far off base any way you pick it.

Chronz
03-27-2014, 12:53 PM
He hasn't been the same since injury thats for sure and plenty of rest has actually not helped him this year, whatever that means I dont know but its been a strange trend. And again, I've already seen you alternate on the importance of H2H so why would I care what you think you're seeing? Nor does it have to do with anything I've written here.

But off topic, we would have won that game had CP3 made even 2 of those jumpers but hes been struggling with his shot since the injury and is still getting his legs under him. Whats more disturbing is how teams have been pummeling us on the glass all year. And in games where CP3 struggles, which I do agree is happening more often as he declines/deals with injuries, we are going to need either Blake to be a monster offensively or on the glass. Once we get to the best of the best tho, I think we are going to need both operating at full capacity. We'll see how the playoffs unfold, I've never entered the post season worrying about CP3, its Blake who has truly cost the team, but now Im entering these playoffs with both guys being questionable, which is odd considering how dominant we've been regardless of that.

I might be getting antsy but I want to see both these guys in a groove before the post season.

sunsfan88
03-28-2014, 02:52 AM
Roy Hibbert.

He is getting paid max money to do nothing in the regular season because they are expecting huge things from him in the playoffs.

Munkeysuit
03-28-2014, 05:33 AM
The most pressure has to be Kevin Durant...how much longer can fans use the "oh he's still young" excuse? I would also like to say that Dwight, Melo and CP3 might also share the same pressure because they've never won it all themselves!...this is starting to look like the 90's when Jordan kept Miller, Barkley, Ewing, Malone & Stockton and others, ringless! Lebron seems to be doing the very same thing to his peers.

monty77
03-28-2014, 06:51 AM
Only Lebron feels a big pressure to win these playoffs. Neither of other teams and players are expected to win the ring as main star on the court. But that is true that there are some players who feel the pressure more than others.

On that list, I believe that Wade is who less pressure feels because if Miami win everybody say he is a important piece in the team, that Lebron alone couldn't succeed, but if Miami lose everybody look at Lebron. He has a confortable life as basketball player and that's what he was looking for when brought James to Miami.

Chris Paul split the pressure with Griffin and they have a new coach, so let him one or two years to become a true contender. The same happens with Howard and Harden. Regarding Pacers and Paul George, he is still too young to demand him a championship. They have to get Conference Finals and force Heat to play 6 or 7 games, but anything else.

Spurs have no top 5 star in the roster, Duncan was it in the past, but he isn't any more. Their main players are very old, only Leonard is under 30 and Ginobili and Duncan pass the age of 35. They manage to take off the pressure every year and this year isn't a different thing.

However, if Westbrook is healthy, Kevin Durant is, behind James, the player who most has to prove his value this year in the playoffs. He played the finals two years ago, and last year he step back. That is true that Westbrook fell injuried, but I expected Heat winning championship without Wade or Bosh.

Durant is the right moment to fight the title, he is the second best player in the league, and he proved his value two years ago. Harden was a teammate, but he played very poorly those playoffs, so there is no excuse this year. he must reach the West Conference finals. With emerging teams such as Clippers and Rockets, it will be more difficult next years.

beliges
03-28-2014, 01:20 PM
Roy Hibbert.

He is getting paid max money to do nothing in the regular season because they are expecting huge things from him in the playoffs.

Hibbert is one of the best big men in the league and the only shot Indiana has at getting passed that Miami team.