PDA

View Full Version : How Successful Will Kobe Bryant Be As A Businessman?

randyorton33
03-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Just came across this in the morning, seems like hes ready to move on from the NBA.

http://www.balldontstop.com/kobe-bryant-launches-company-kobe-inc/

Hawkeye15
03-24-2014, 04:24 PM
he has minimal education, but has been in the business of basketball so long, it may offset that.

He seems reasonably intelligent, so I would guess he will be fine with his bagillion dollars after basketball.

Ebbs
03-24-2014, 04:27 PM
he has minimal education, but has been in the business of basketball so long, it may offset that.

He seems reasonably intelligent, so I would guess he will be fine with his bagillion dollars after basketball.

Lol no **** he can afford to have 100 business ventures fail. Buck shot effect

abe_froman
03-24-2014, 04:32 PM
isnt he already a businessman? he might not be involved with day to day **** of managing all of his assets ,but every top player is himself a massive moneymaking operation with all the endorsement deals,ownership stakes in businesses ,ect.

really kobe has been kobe inc since he was 18,same with lebron,kd,ect.

tredigs
03-24-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm assuming he has very high paid business advisers to handle the logistics of any of his future ventures. If he does indeed have some of the best, and he listens to them, I'm sure he'll do quite well.

Chronz
03-24-2014, 06:03 PM

Speaks multiple languages, IIRC he also had his pick of quite a few Colleges just based on his academic accomplishments.

AsiandudePH
03-24-2014, 06:19 PM
It depends on where his pride takes him.

He kinda has a vengeful attitude, which then would not translate well in business relationships. However he does have the knowledge and could hire the best people to help him deal with this.

Supreme LA
03-24-2014, 06:53 PM
Kobe's is an intelligent dude and blessed with all the resources in the world. Why wouldn't he be successful?

bucketss
03-24-2014, 07:22 PM
might become humbled for the first time in his life.

Hellcrooner
03-24-2014, 07:49 PM
No university.

all bout guts instead of brain duing his career.
Being macho and playing trough "pain" to show how " tuff" he was instead of resting his body to not burst.
All bout "me" instead of " we".

Those are not a good point to start with.

Here and now, id rather have Shane Battier running my bussiness than kobe.

b@llhog24
03-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Should be ok.

b@llhog24
03-24-2014, 08:29 PM
No university.

Being macho and playing trough "pain" to show how " tuff" he was instead of resting his body to not burst.

Well duh.

Hawkeye15
03-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Speaks multiple languages, IIRC he also had his pick of quite a few Colleges just based on his academic accomplishments.

he lived overseas, of course he speaks multiple languages....

He still has minimal education in business, but as Tre pointed out, if he hired the right people, that won't matter.

Bruno
03-24-2014, 08:51 PM
he'll be fine. his desire is to win and business is the ultimate competition. from a motivation, will and grit standpoint hell be fine. i think those three things matter most.

people can be very intelligent without having a degree from a university. public education is overrated, self education is key and I'd imagine the team around him will help him navigate the x's and o's of the business world along his way.

Hellcrooner
03-24-2014, 09:12 PM
he'll be fine. his desire is to win and business is the ultimate competition. from a motivation, will and grit standpoint hell be fine. i think those three things matter most.

people can be very intelligent without having a degree from a university. public education is overrated, self education is key and I'd imagine the team around him will help him navigate the x's and o's of the business world along his way.
Yep Degree is not = to intelligence but when you are talking business you can be as intelligent as you want, if you dont KNOW how things work wich they teach you at university you are starting short handed.

Then you are talking bout TEAM around him.

Will he listen to his TEAM when his guts tell him to take whatrever decisión?
Will he trust his team?

His playing days demeanor points at NO for both questions.

And even if he would, since he does not KNOW " how it Works" he may even be robbed or misguided by his "team" wouldnt be the first time an athlete gets taken advantage of by its counselors.

MTar786
03-24-2014, 09:32 PM
Yep Degree is not = to intelligence but when you are talking business you can be as intelligent as you want, if you dont KNOW how things work wich they teach you at university you are starting short handed.

Will he trust his team?

And even if he would, since he does not KNOW " how it Works" he may even be robbed or misguided by his "team" wouldnt be the first time an athlete gets taken advantage of by its counselors.

just because he has no uni education does not mean he can't be a succesful business man lol. wow

Bruno
03-24-2014, 09:33 PM

Will he trust his team?

i think "teaching one how business works at a university" has lead to a lot of problems. when academics start sticking their noses in how the real world operates there is an inherent clash. the best way to lead a business is to get into it, to do it, to get your hands dirty and learn from your failures along your way. nothing that could be taught in a classroom would be more valuable than his experiences (failure and success) as an aspiring businessman.

you don't need a degree in finance or economics to become a successful businessman. it might help with the x's and o's, but it might crush ones creativity and entrepreneurial spirit in the process. those two qualities are more important than the x's and o's.

getting played by a manipulative team would be a bigger potential issue than his lack of a degree. but what would be their motivation to screw Kobe (the brand)? when the company wins, they all win.

ewing
03-25-2014, 09:25 AM
idk if he can get on linkedin and make some contacts he should be OK

PhillyFaninLA
03-25-2014, 09:32 AM
He makes the people around him mad when things don't go his way, he is smart but not educated or experienced, he has proven to not be a good human being, he's proven only loyal when things are on his terms.....he won't keep good staff, without good staff you will fail.

He is no leader and a leader builds a business.

P&GRealist
03-25-2014, 02:07 PM
He makes the people around him mad when things don't go his way, he is smart but not educated or experienced, he has proven to not be a good human being, he's proven only loyal when things are on his terms.....he won't keep good staff, without good staff you will fail.

Jordan was great getting the most out of his teammates as player, but can't do the same of his players as owner.

You theory and argument is weak.

nickdymez
03-25-2014, 02:17 PM
People who hate Kobe will say no, people who like Kobe will say yea. No one really knows how he would run his business, who he has advising him at this moment, what steps he may be taking to become an accomplished business man, etc. Many people come to this country not speaking english and start succesful business's. Comparing Kobe's deamenor on the court is unfair.

*Superman*
03-25-2014, 02:19 PM
#kobesystem

He'll be fine. I think he is still one of the smarter guys in the league even with no college education. He can actually write a paragraph with no grammatical errors unlike some of the goons in the NBA. Plus he's already made his name, his fans around the world will do the rest of the work.

D-Leethal
03-25-2014, 02:26 PM
I am sure Magic will school him and he will have an accomplished team of advisors consulting him on whatever he plans to do. Any idiot with tens-hundreds of millions can make a fortune in business if they hire the right guys to help them along the way.

FOBolous
03-25-2014, 02:27 PM
It depends on where his pride takes him.

He kinda has a vengeful attitude, which then would not translate well in business relationships. However he does have the knowledge and could hire the best people to help him deal with this.

No university.

this. there's a reason why good players doesn't = good coaches and/or good GMs. the skillsets require to be a good player is different from the skillsets needed to be a good coach/GM/businessmen. Kobe doesn't have the skillset needed to be a good businessman.

D-Leethal
03-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Something tells me nobody in this thread has ever spent 30 seconds in the business world and are critiquing from the last row of their Bus 101 lecture class at their local CC.

nickdymez
03-25-2014, 02:30 PM
I am sure Magic will school him and he will have an accomplished team of advisors consulting him on whatever he plans to do. Any idiot with tens-hundreds of millions can make a fortune in business if they hire the right guys to help them along the way.

Him and Magic dont really get along like that

SeoulBeatz
03-25-2014, 02:32 PM
Kobe's is an intelligent dude and blessed with all the resources in the world. Why wouldn't he be successful?

Yup. One of the smartest players in the league, he has incredible work-ethic, he's tenacious, refuses to lose. If he chooses to pursue some venture involving basketball I don't see how he could fail.

D-Leethal
03-25-2014, 02:34 PM
I am sure Kobe already has a boatload of business experience. He will fail because he didn't go to college? LMFAO, spoken like true college kids. Go bring up your college experience on a business job interview and you will get laughed out of the room. That **** doesn't matter to anyone that matters.

D-Leethal
03-25-2014, 02:40 PM
Wait, you guys want him to be nice, warm, fuzzy, cuddly and a great moral human being in order to thrive in business?

SMDH

Stick to what you know fellas. He is cut from the perfect cloth to make it in the dog-eat-dog world of biz.

MonroeFAN
03-25-2014, 02:56 PM
No university.

wtf do you know about running a business? Or 75% of the participants in this topic for that matter? You guys can barely type.

ManRam
03-25-2014, 03:00 PM
If Magic Johnson did it with success, I'm sure Kobe can too.

FOBolous
03-25-2014, 03:02 PM
If Magic Johnson did it with success, I'm sure Kobe can too.

Other than the fact that they're both Lakers players, how does Magic Johnson = Kobe Bryant?

FOBolous
03-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Wait, you guys want him to be nice, warm, fuzzy, cuddly and a great moral human being in order to thrive in business?

SMDH

Stick to what you know fellas. He is cut from the perfect cloth to make it in the dog-eat-dog world of biz.

no...you don't have to be nice, warm, fuzzy, cuddly and a great moral to be successful in business...and you definitely can't be too nice. but you do need to know how to get the most out of the people that works for you...and managers who motivates people in a positive way tend to be more successful than a manager who has a "my way or the highway" attitude. motivating people in a positive way leads to higher morale, increased productivity, and less turnover. i mean...don't take my word for it. anyone who's been in the workforce for several years probably had experiences working under both types of managers and any of these people can attest that they prefer to work for a manager that motivates in a positiive way and work harder under that manager than the latter.

and of course, towards your competitors, you have to be cut throat and decisive. but towards your employees....no.

John Walls Era
03-25-2014, 03:40 PM
sure as an investor. he can be the guy who writes the cheque.

D-Leethal
03-25-2014, 05:55 PM
no...you don't have to be nice, warm, fuzzy, cuddly and a great moral to be successful in business...and you definitely can't be too nice. but you do need to know how to get the most out of the people that works for you...and managers who motivates people in a positive way tend to be more successful than a manager who has a "my way or the highway" attitude. motivating people in a positive way leads to higher morale, increased productivity, and less turnover. i mean...don't take my word for it. anyone who's been in the workforce for several years probably had experiences working under both types of managers and any of these people can attest that they prefer to work for a manager that motivates in a positiive way and work harder under that manager than the latter.

and of course, towards your competitors, you have to be cut throat and decisive. but towards your employees....no.

You need to be firm with your employees - any CEO will tell you that. You give positive reinforcement when its warranted, you give a swift kick in the rear when its warranted. You foster a playground culture with no repercussions when responsibilities don't get met and your business goes into the gutter. Your acting like Kobe goes around slapping teammates for making good decisions and getting positive results or something.

D-Leethal
03-25-2014, 06:00 PM
Take Kobe's treatment of Pau as an example. Kobe seems to love Pau Gasol, he has Pau's back, they seem like good friends with a lot of mutual respect. He slaps him when he's playing like a soft ***** and sings praises when he makes great contributions. Thats how you SHOULD treat your employees. And to the competition? Rip their throats out. Kobe will be great. He is a slick dude and 10x smarter than every single person here trying to say he couldn't hack it for reasons devoid of logic or personal experience.

Kobe goes at his teammates when they aren't committed to the common goal. Any CEO would do the same thing. You don't make an immediate impact and your gonna get shelved. You won't have your hand held and if you don't find your niche and prove your worth, your gone, and your ouster will not involve hugs and teddy bears.

ManRam
03-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Other than the fact that they're both Lakers players, how does Magic Johnson = Kobe Bryant?

I think Magic is a moron :shrug:

nickdymez
03-25-2014, 07:25 PM
I think Magic is a moron :shrug:

Obviously not. he's a VERY successful business owner

majmarcus
03-25-2014, 08:01 PM
sure as an investor. he can be the guy who writes the cheque.

LmaO...

TheHeadHoncho
03-25-2014, 08:20 PM
His name will sell itself....He has millions on top of millions......of course he'll be successful. I think "anybody" with superstar status and 100 million dollars would be successful in the business world.

FOBolous
03-25-2014, 10:03 PM
You need to be firm with your employees - any CEO will tell you that. You give positive reinforcement when its warranted, you give a swift kick in the rear when its warranted. You foster a playground culture with no repercussions when responsibilities don't get met and your business goes into the gutter. Your acting like Kobe goes around slapping teammates for making good decisions and getting positive results or something.

let me repost my post again and bold the part that you missed:

and how did you get me advocating "a playground culture with no repercussions when responsibilities don't get met" from me advocating motivating your employees in positive ways? you know you ARE able to hold your employees accountable while motivating and mentoring your employees in a positive way right? you don't have to be an @$$ to people to make sure they're doing what they're suppose to do and follow rules/policies. you're doing something wrong if the only way you can get your employees do their job is to be an @$$ to them while walking around with a chip on your should carrying this "my way or the highway attitude."

FOBolous
03-25-2014, 10:04 PM
His name will sell itself....He has millions on top of millions......of course he'll be successful. I think "anybody" with superstar status and 100 million dollars would be successful in the business world.

you act like no NBA star has ever gone broke after leaving the NBA.