PDA

View Full Version : Monta is Taking the Mavs to the Playoffs!

Tony_Starks
03-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Can the kid finally get some love? They're on pace to win 50 games which is much better than predicted. Especially with a "inefficient chucker" as the lead guy and a declining Dirk....

Don't sleep on Dallas in the Playoffs.

NYKnickFanatic
03-24-2014, 01:57 PM
EVERYBODY!

Do...

the...

LT!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

tredigs
03-24-2014, 01:59 PM
#1: Far from a lock to make the playoffs (0.5 game lead)
#2: Not their best player or main reason why they have a chance to get there

NYKnickFanatic
03-24-2014, 01:59 PM
But even if they do grab that 7th or 8th seed, they will be matched up against the Spurs and Thunder. I don't think they would be able to make any noise.

Goose17
03-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Last I checked Monta wasn't the reason for their success.

Tony_Starks
03-24-2014, 02:06 PM

Who is their best player in your estimation? Monta is playing pg setting up Dirk, switching to sg and playing off Calderon, and hitting crunch time shots.

What more do you want?

SPURSFAN1
03-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Take dirk out and they're a .300 win team at best.

flea
03-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Dirk and Marion are why the team is where they are primarily. Put any guard that likes to shoot too much next to them, limit his opportunities to make bad decisions, and you basically have Jason Terry and the 2011 Mavs. This team is 2 years away from winning a ring but now it's Monta ****ing Ellis we should be giving credit for in (maybe) getting the Mavs in the playoffs? Hah.

Heediot
03-24-2014, 02:12 PM
If Melo leaves NY, look for Chandler to be traded back to Dallas next year. No guarantees they make the playoffs this year. Phx is only 1/2 game back.

FOBolous
03-24-2014, 02:14 PM
he's been playing better than i expected and he's one of the biggest reasons why the Mavs are succeeding. The Mavs would probably just be a .500 team and wouldn't sniff the playoffs in today's Western Conference if it wasn't for him. I'll be the first to admit i was one of his doubters, i laughed when the Mavs got him instead of Dwight (i don't like Cuban), and i was wrong.

Chronz
03-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Hes done pretty much as I expected but Im starting to think Devin deserves to cut into his minutes. The Mavs have a fun bench to watch. Surprisingly deep team.

Wait.... OP actually thinks Monta>Dirk? You've got to be ******** me

Tony_Starks
03-24-2014, 02:19 PM
He's putting up 19, 3, and 5 but has nothing to do with their success? He doesnt make Dirks job easier? He's not hitting Dirk off the pick and roll setting him up for money jumpers because you cant defend both? Ok if you guys say so. Just bump the thread later, they're taking somebody 7 games first round.

Tony_Starks
03-24-2014, 02:25 PM
he's been playing better than i expected and he's one of the biggest reasons why the Mavs are succeeding. The Mavs would probably just be a .500 team and wouldn't sniff the playoffs in today's Western Conference if it wasn't for him. I'll be the first to admit i was one of his doubters, i laughed when the Mavs got him instead of Dwight (i don't like Cuban), and i was wrong.

Thank you sir. People are forgetting the Mavs were predicted to be a lotto team this year. They are a surprise team.

nickdymez
03-24-2014, 02:27 PM
He's putting up 19, 3, and 5 but has nothing to do with their success? He doesnt make Dirks job easier? He's not hitting Dirk off the pick and roll setting him up for money jumpers because you cant defend both? Ok if you guys say so. Just bump the thread later, they're taking somebody 7 games first round.

Those arent advaced stats so they mean nothing.

Ebbs
03-24-2014, 02:28 PM
He's been good. But basically Dirk is still our MVP. Also I don't feel safe in the playoff hunt right now.

beyourself
03-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Who is their best player in your estimation? Monta is playing pg setting up Dirk, switching to sg and playing off Calderon, and hitting crunch time shots.

What more do you want?

Their best player is Dirk Nowitzki and it's not close. Go look at Dirk's production and nobody on that team compares.

KnicksorBust
03-24-2014, 02:29 PM

You derailed your own thread with that title "Monta is Taking the Mavs to the Playoffs!" Then you made it worse by baiting anyone who has ever called him an inefficient chucker. Then you clinched the end of your thread by referring to their actual best player as a "declining Dirk" when he's having a pretty damn good season.

0-3.

beyourself
03-24-2014, 02:31 PM
You derailed your own thread with that title "Monta is Taking the Mavs to the Playoffs!" Then you made it worse by baiting anyone who has ever called him an inefficient chucker. Then you clinched the end of your thread by referring to their actual best player as a "declining Dirk" when he's having a pretty damn good season.

0-3.

I think there is an agenda here with this OP.

FOBolous
03-24-2014, 02:32 PM
i don't think the OP is saying Monta > Dirk

Chronz
03-24-2014, 02:34 PM

I fail to see how a rebuttal revolving around strawman arguments is somehow going to be bump worthy.

Nobody is saying he hasn't contributed, technically speaking, every player in the league contributes something, Monta is one of their bigger contributors, considering his decent enough production and minutes served, but hes most definitely not their best player, he has a decent argument for number 2, but on a team thats winning primarily because of their depth/clutch shooting, its not that noteworthy, is this how far Monta has fallen that being the 2nd best player in on a 1 star 8th-seed is commendable?

You talk about Dirk's job being easier, but anyone who understands Dirk's game and how the Mav's utilize him, would know that he does a far better job of freeing up his PnR partner than they do for him. Lest we forget that Dirk has been the same guy FOREVER, whereas Monta is the one finally experiencing a minor bump in efficiency (though hes still inefficient). At best, its a 2-way street, basketball isn't just about taking shots and making passes. Yes Monta is helping his team, but hes not doing anything worth bragging about, hes most definitely not even in the conversation for being their best player nor MVP.

DallasTrilla23
03-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Dirk and Marion are why the team is where they are primarily. Put any guard that likes to shoot too much next to them, limit his opportunities to make bad decisions, and you basically have Jason Terry and the 2011 Mavs. This team is 2 years away from winning a ring but now it's Monta ****ing Ellis we should be giving credit for in (maybe) getting the Mavs in the playoffs? Hah.

You kidding me bruh? Marion has been inconsistent all year. Hes not the defender he was last year and hes a liability on offense at times.

Monta is a big reason why we are winning and why dirk was an all-star this year. That said, "a declining" Dirk Nowitzki is still our best player. Monta and Dirk are great together and I don't think anyone expected them to get along so great.

Chronz
03-24-2014, 02:38 PM
i don't think the OP is saying Monta > Dirk

Then why would he post this gem:

What more do you want?
Why ask the question when its obvious who we are ALL thinking about? He then builds a case for Monta and asking what more could we want. Even though it should also be obvious that Monta has alot of limitations in his game.

Those arent advaced stats so they mean nothing.
lol wat?

Tony_Starks
03-24-2014, 02:39 PM
FYI i didnt mean Monta is a better overall player than Dirk. He's making his job EASIER. Big difference. Watch the games man I'm not making this up...

flea
03-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Marion is not as good as he once was but he's easily their best defender, and probably the only reason they aren't giving up Sixers levels of points. Plus, saying Marion is a liability on offense at times is the story for his career. He can still hit open 3s with that funky shot and punish teams at the rim for sagging away.

Hawkeye15
03-24-2014, 02:41 PM

exactly. Dirk having a total revival year is the biggest reason they are where they are. Their bench is pretty damn good, and they somehow win most of their close games.

This team isn't a threat in the playoffs if they get there at all in my opinion. I would rather face the Mavs any day over the Grizz or Warriors in round 1.

Chronz
03-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Monta and Dirk are great together and I don't think anyone expected them to get along so great.
Do you mean off the court, personality wise or something?

Hawkeye15
03-24-2014, 02:42 PM

0-3.

Nailed it.

Tony_Starks
03-24-2014, 02:47 PM
I fail to see how a rebuttal revolving around strawman arguments is somehow going to be bump worthy.

Nobody is saying he hasn't contributed, technically speaking, every player in the league contributes something, Monta is one of their bigger contributors, considering his decent enough production and minutes served, but hes most definitely not their best player, he has a decent argument for number 2, but on a team thats winning primarily because of their depth/clutch shooting, its not that noteworthy, is this how far Monta has fallen that being the 2nd best player in on a 1 star 8th-seed is commendable?

You talk about Dirk's job being easier, but anyone who understands Dirk's game and how the Mav's utilize him, would know that he does a far better job of freeing up his PnR partner than they do for him. Lest we forget that Dirk has been the same guy FOREVER, whereas Monta is the one finally experiencing a minor bump in efficiency (though hes still inefficient). At best, its a 2-way street, basketball isn't just about taking shots and making passes. Yes Monta is helping his team, but hes not doing anything worth bragging about, hes most definitely not even in the conversation for being their best player nor MVP.

I guess long story short according to PSD you would never think Monta would be a key part in a 50 win playoff team. He may very well be. That's my simple point.

tredigs
03-24-2014, 02:49 PM
A declining Dirk is still easily better, more productive and a bigger reason for their limited success than peak Monta, is my point.

Hawkeye15
03-24-2014, 02:52 PM
I guess long story short according to PSD you would never think Monta would be a key part in a 50 win playoff team. He may very well be. That's my simple point.

Calderon, Carter, Dalembert, and Marion are all just as responsible as Monta is, and Dirk is easily their best player.

I will say, he is having one of his better scoring efficiency seasons, even if he is still a liability on the defensive end.

Chronz
03-24-2014, 02:53 PM
FYI i didnt mean Monta is a better overall player than Dirk. He's making his job EASIER. Big difference. Watch the games man I'm not making this up...
OK good. We got that out of the way, the way you word your post and ask follow up questions expose a different agenda, but if its just a misunderstanding, your thread can get back on course. I know you wont see it the way some of us might, but if the thread had been done the same way, only you replace Monta with "Calderon is taking the Mavs to the playoffs"...etc, I would react in a similar way to that poster, only in a more befuddled way.

JJ Barea technically made life easier for Dirk too, Monta is doing a better job of it obviously, so props to him on that.

beyourself
03-24-2014, 02:53 PM

Why not? As far as I know people look at him as a starting caliber shooting guard. More than half the teams in the NBA make the playoffs. Monta Ellis starts on a possible playoff team.

It's not shocking.

Tony_Starks
03-24-2014, 02:57 PM
OK good. We got that out of the way, the way you word your post and ask follow up questions expose a different agenda, but if its just a misunderstanding, your thread can get back on course. I know you wont see it the way some of us might, but if the thread had been done the same way, only you replace Monta with "Calderon is taking the Mavs to the playoffs"...etc, I would react in a similar way to that poster, only in a more befuddled way.

JJ Barea technically made life easier for Dirk too, Monta is doing a better job of it obviously, so props to him on that.

Fair enough. What do you think of the notion Dallas pushes someone to 7 in the first round? They're not the typical lower seed.

tredigs
03-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Monta in a much more limited offensive role where he's taking 15 attempts a night rather than 20-22 is a good thing for many teams. Other than the team not being great defensively, it's a very good situation for him (tempering out his low efficiency output) and one where I knew he'd find some success. It reminded me of his year 3 in Golden State where he wasn't the top dog -just an ancillary offensive piece - and the team benefited as a result (with him having his best season before or since).

still1ballin
03-24-2014, 03:04 PM
EVERYBODY!

Do...

the...

LT!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

:dance:

Do the LT

Hawkeye15
03-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Fair enough. What do you think of the notion Dallas pushes someone to 7 in the first round? They're not the typical lower seed.

Their perimeter defense is basically garbage, and even Marion has slowed on that end. I don't think they stand a chance of pushing OKC/SA (their likely 1st round matchup) to 7 games at all.

Hawkeye15
03-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Monta in a much more limited offensive role where he's taking 15 attempts a night rather than 20-22 is a good thing for many teams. Other than the team not being great defensively, it's a very good situation for him (tempering out his low efficiency output) and one where I knew he'd find some success. It reminded me of his year 3 in Golden State where he wasn't the top dog -just an ancillary offensive piece - and the team benefited as a result (with him having his best season before or since).

yep, that is the year I was thinking about as well. Not only that, but they had a big PG in Davis, and a skilled perimeter defender in Jax, who could cover him up on that end as well.

Chronz
03-24-2014, 03:13 PM

My simplistic thinking was this, those Mavs before Monta were playing .500 ball so long as Dirk was healthy. Adding Monta, Blair, Calderon, Harris, Dalemburt and getting rid of their most inefficient chucker in Kaman, have all served a purpose in raising that winning%. All Monta had to be, was more than OJ Mayo for them to experience a net gain there as well. Monta has been a great addition, in large part because teams now know hes not worth large sums of money, to the point where he can become a solid market value pick, which is what Mark Cuban predicted would happen as more and more teams try to play the lottery/money ball game now.

Tony_Starks
03-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Their perimeter defense is basically garbage, and even Marion has slowed on that end. I don't think they stand a chance of pushing OKC/SA (their likely 1st round matchup) to 7 games at all.

But remember they have a really good coach. A good defensive coach. They're going to give somebody a run for their money.

SPURSFAN1
03-24-2014, 03:19 PM
But remember they have a really good coach. A good defensive coach. They're going to give somebody a run for their money.

Not the Spurs. I don't even hate the mavs. They aren't taking the spurs past 4 games.

Jarvo
03-24-2014, 03:20 PM
I like Monta and been a fan of his

Hawkeye15
03-24-2014, 03:21 PM

but they don't have good defensive players is the problem, outside Dalembert, that play real minutes. Their perimeter defense is terrible. Monta is not all at fault for that, Calderon is awful, and Marion is just older now, so his defense is basically average at this point.

They have no way of stopping the top 2 teams in the west from scoring.

I mean, they let Ricky Rubio do a layup drill on them a few nights ago. Ricky "I can't finish a layup to save my life" Rubio dude.

Hawkeye15
03-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Not the Spurs. I don't even hate the mavs. They aren't taking the spurs past 4 games.

nobody can. Spurs will go 16-0 in the playoffs. Book it

Chronz
03-24-2014, 03:28 PM

They are the one team (maybe 2 of 1) that every other playoff team wants to face. I agree that in a fair world, the Mavs would not be your typical low seed, but in this wild west, they share the common trait. Nobody fears them more than anyone else.

Maybe you're right, and they should be feared more than expected. But they have other attributes working against them.

1) They are a team that wins with depth. Since Devin has returned, the Mavs typically trot out a 2nd unit of Devin-SG-Vince-Dirk-Wright that just kills teams 2nd units. Those kind of advantages are felt in the regular season marathon but in the grind of a playoff series, teams will rank up the minutes for their primary 8. I suppose the Mavs can do the same with Dirk-Monta, but its more of a mystery for this unit because we dont see as much success in it. In fact, in the near 900 minutes that Dirk shares the court with those primary players, they barely play at a +.500 level, outscoring their opponent by a meager +1 differential. I dont know where this stacks up with the rest of the NBA but that sounds very low for me.

2) They are barely winning alot of their games, this was a bigger problem before Devin returned from injury, but typically, its better to be stomping teams in victory than barely scraping by, at least if we are projecting playoff success.

Still its Dirk and hes clutch as hell, so if the game is close , hes a great weapon to have.

SPURSFAN1
03-24-2014, 03:28 PM

BOOKED! hahahah

flea
03-24-2014, 03:29 PM

A coach can only take that pitiful rotation of perimeter defenders that the Mavs have. The wizard Rick Adelman did amazing things in the regular season with those Rockets teams while Yao/T-Mac were hurt. In the playoffs you're still counting on Calderon, Ellis, Harris, and late-30s Carter/Marion defensively - and you just don't get that far (a la Luis Scola, Aaron Brooks, Kevin Martin, Carl Landry, Chuck Hayes, etc.).

xxplayerxx23
03-24-2014, 03:43 PM
First off Ellis is solid but dirk is the man there. 2nd if the suns win tonight they are tied for the 8 seed so by far not a lock and they would lose in 5 to thunder or spurs

Guppyfighter
03-24-2014, 03:46 PM

It doesn't matter if their coach is a good defensive coach, because it hasn't translated. The Mavs are 25th in defense and that's probably overperforming.

I am actually shocked there are five teams worse than the Mavs at defense to be perfectly honest. So, that's where I will give the coach his props. He's not the worst defensive team in the league with a backcourt of Calderon and Ellis.

ballallday
03-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Can the kid finally get some love? They're on pace to win 50 games which is much better than predicted. Especially with a "inefficient chucker" as the lead guy and a declining Dirk....

Not that I've watched a ton of dallas games, however I watched the nets vs dallas 4th / OT last night and monta was chucking threes from 5 ft behind the line while everyone else was standing around watching/shaking their heads. Is this what usually goes on with him or did i just catch a bad game? If this is typical monta then dallas won't make a dent in the playoffs let alone get in IMO

Goose17
03-24-2014, 06:01 PM
Not that I've watched a ton of dallas games, however I watched the nets vs dallas 4th / OT last night and monta was chucking threes from 5 ft behind the line while everyone else was standing around watching/shaking their heads. Is this what usually goes on with him or did i just catch a bad game? If this is typical monta then dallas won't make a dent in the playoffs let alone get in IMO

Now thats the Monta I know!

ThuglifeJ
03-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Lol. I've watched every mavs game. Monta has been such a pain in the ***. I do not like his play no matter how talented he is he just simply is two things that hold any player and team back 1) undersized 2) dumb

I like that he cares about the game and can make highlights but he sure does know how to f up when it matters most.

Mavs have a solid all around team with a good bench. They find ways to win so they have a good record in the west. But you can't say its cuz Dirk, his legs dont seem healthy and hes inconsistent this year..Ellis is all over the place and a loose cannon, Vince is great but only plays 25 minutes and bad start to season (6moy as of late tho, Marion blows for the past 2 years now he's done and his D is half what it was in 11, Calderon is Calderon, Dalembert is Dalembert, Wright is good finisher but poor defender, Harris is a spark but takes too many shots, and Blair is whatever, crowder or Ellington hit spot up shots. Carlisle is fine but makes dumb substitutions.

That's the Mavs for you. Is what it is. They're nothing special but far from bad

ThuglifeJ
03-24-2014, 06:32 PM

Literally did this exact thing in the OT loss vs Celtics. He's just dumb. Dirk was wide wide open on the final play vs Nets. Monta chucked a 35 ft 3 to be a hero just because he hit some 3s down the stretch. Then as his teammates walk off kinda annoyed monta smiles with this 'dang it :). I (key word I) almost made it'

sunsfan88
03-25-2014, 12:07 AM
Mavs aren't in the playoffs.

All-In
03-25-2014, 12:26 AM
I'm sleeping on the mavs

AnthonyTyrael2
03-25-2014, 02:47 AM
If Dirk continues to suck like the last 1o games, right now when it's counting the most, they won't make it to the play offs. However, whast's the sense of making it anyway, if the best next thing you do is to exit right away.

mightybosstone
03-25-2014, 05:16 AM
:laugh:

Really, dude? I normally at least respect OP's posts, but this is pretty bad. Calling Monta the team's best player or suggesting he's the reason the Mavs are going to the playoffs is just straight up laughable. He's not remotely as important or as statistically productive at Dirk, who is a better player by any statistical barometer you could possible look at.

But I will give some credit where credit is due. Monta is probably the second best player on Dallas, and without him, the Mavs probably are sitting at 9th or 10th right now instead of 7th or 8th. I still think the guy is a chucker, but he's improved in a lot of areas statistically this season. However, he's still taking too many 3s and shooting sub-33% on them, he's turning it over way too much and he's still not getting to the line as much as I think he's capable of. But the rise in FG% and TS% alone is worth mentioning, even if he's statistically dropped off a ton from where he was at production-wise early in the season.

Edit: Actually, I just noticed that Dallas is currently sitting at the 9th seed. That kind of makes this thread a moot point if Dallas can't even make the postseason.

Guppyfighter
03-25-2014, 05:29 AM
Jose is the second most important player on that team. You take him off the team all of a sudden you have a very inefficient Monta.

CityofChaos
03-25-2014, 06:19 AM
Jose is the second most important player on that team. You take him off the team all of a sudden you have a very inefficient Monta.

BINGO. I was waiting for someone to mention Calderon who, if you consider fga, is a better shooter than Monta and a better passer.

mightybosstone
03-25-2014, 09:46 AM

I think you could make a case either way. Calderon is the superior distributor and shooter, Ellis is the superior scorer. Calderon makes those around him better, while Ellis can manufacture points late in games when you need them. Calderon is more efficient, but Ellis is more likely to get you two points. Calderon leads in WS, but Ellis leads in PER and a number of other advanced statistics.

Personally, I'd rather have Calderon on my team than Ellis, but that's just because you get more bang for your buck with Calderon, and I don't trust Ellis' inconsistent offense over the course of an 82-game season. But both guys clearly provide something to that Dallas team that is integral to their success.

mavwar53
03-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Thank you sir. People are forgetting the Mavs were predicted to be a lotto team this year. They are a surprise team.

You know what a lotto team is right? A team that doesn't make the playoffs, and as of this moment, they are a lotto team.

king4day
03-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Monta is taking the Mavs to the playoffs!
Bledsoe is taking the Suns to the playoffs!
Gasol is taking the Griz to the playoffs!

One of these will be wrong

archdevil84
03-25-2014, 02:17 PM

spurs wil probably go 15-3. the HEAT win the championship going 16-12

archdevil84
03-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Now thats the Monta I know!

its also the curry i know except that curry makes those shots :laugh2:

D-Leethal
03-25-2014, 02:24 PM
At least it seemed like this move made the advanced stats zombies (not the guys who actually know how to apply them - but their worshippers who don't) recognize that the guys around you and your role on the team have a direct impact on your scoring efficiency. It was getting to the point where the widespread belief was Monta was an inefficient chucker on team A, he would be an inefficient chucker on team B, C, D and E.

Of course playing next to a threat like Dirk on the pick and roll will do wonders for your efficiency.

mdm692
03-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Monta is taking the Mavs to the playoffs!
Bledsoe is taking the Suns to the playoffs!
Gasol is taking the Griz to the playoffs!

One of these will be wrong
The only guarantee lol.

IndyRealist
03-25-2014, 08:52 PM
For anyone who REALLY believes Monta Ellis is the reason the Mavs are close to making the playoffs, as opposed to a resurgent Dirk or an ultra-efficient Calderon or an "I actually play defense" Dalembert....well, I've got a bridge I'm selling at a HUGE discount. Prime location.

Honestly, Monta's REAL value is that he allows them to have an incredibly deep bench. Devin Harris, Shane Larkin, Vince Carter, Brandan Wright, Jae Crowder, and DeJuan Blair could be the core of a .500 team on their own. I would certainly take them over the majority of the benches of the other playoff teams.

NBA_Starter
03-25-2014, 08:59 PM
#BasedMonta

ThuglifeJ
03-25-2014, 09:15 PM

I think you could make a case either way. Calderon is the superior distributor and shooter, Ellis is the superior scorer. Calderon makes those around him better, while Ellis can manufacture points late in games when you need them. Calderon is more efficient, but Ellis is more likely to get you two points. Calderon leads in WS, but Ellis leads in PER and a number of other advanced statistics.

Personally, I'd rather have Calderon on my team than Ellis, but that's just because you get more bang for your buck with Calderon, and I don't trust Ellis' inconsistent offense over the course of an 82-game season. But both guys clearly provide something to that Dallas team that is integral to their success.

Trust me..I have zero trust in Monta after watching him closely this season. If he makes one shot he thinks he's back in high school and has no other teammates and starts chucking everything. Calderon is very smart and consistent.

I don't like the lack of Vince mention..he is in contention for 6moy and was stated the best maverick last season BY Cuban AND Dirk. This season he's been slightly less impressive but still one of the most important pieces

mightybosstone
03-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Trust me..I have zero trust in Monta after watching him closely this season. If he makes one shot he thinks he's back in high school and has no other teammates and starts chucking everything. Calderon is very smart and consistent.

I don't like the lack of Vince mention..he is in contention for 6moy and was stated the best maverick last season BY Cuban AND Dirk. This season he's been slightly less impressive but still one of the most important pieces

Vince deserves mentioning among their 4-5 most important guys, but I wouldn't name him above Calderon or Ellis. The guy only plays 24 minutes a game and he's not quite the efficient stud he was last year.

kobe4thewinbang
03-26-2014, 01:02 AM

Don't sleep on Dallas in the Playoffs.LOL, he's had a surprising season after an underwhelming career. But he was quite erratic in that foolish loss against the Nets. He chose a terrible shot to try and win the game, and then got lucky with a couple of 3's. Just a chucker that has had good luck most of the time this season, really. I don't watch the Mavs closely so maybe he helps them in other areas. I'm not pinning that loss on him completely, but they should have won after having a big lead. The Mavs celebrated too early and forgot to seal the deal.

kobe4thewinbang
03-26-2014, 01:06 AM
He's been good. But basically Dirk is still our MVP. Also I don't feel safe in the playoff hunt right now.Yeah, especially with those two losses at home (vs Timberwolves & vs Nets). I love that Dirk is playing again but I think Phoenix knocks them out unless they start getting serious.

goku
03-26-2014, 01:16 AM
only problem I have with the mavs is there Defense we know they can score but can they stop anyone I say no

AnthonyTyrael2
03-26-2014, 02:13 AM
only problem I have with the mavs is there Defense we know they can score but can they stop anyone I say no

That's why they beat OKC twice, Indy twice and many other great teams too. It's tough against Spurs and Rockets and teams like Phoenix. We had some defensive outing against some great teams, like nobody else had in this league, this year. Funny, not? But I'd never call us better than decent, too.

Actually it's harder to win against seed 9-5 then against 2-4 in the West. Not losing all those games which we lead with 10, 15, 20 plus points and still no D and we'd sit at 4th or 5th seed right now. With D and better players, even higher. But since we mess up a lot of things, we're not.

P&GRealist
03-26-2014, 02:16 AM
Jose Calderon > Monta Ellis

ThuglifeJ
03-26-2014, 02:51 AM
Vince deserves mentioning among their 4-5 most important guys, but I wouldn't name him above Calderon or Ellis. The guy only plays 24 minutes a game and he's not quite the efficient stud he was last year.

Yes true he's slightly less impressive this year vs last year but the Mavs bench is such a force this year and winning them games due a lot to him. He makes plays for the entire team when he's in especially for every one of Wright's points and he yells at the team to post Dirk up when someone like Harris or Ellis is trying to go 1 v 5 and it's always important he does that. The only one to make sure Dirk is involved I'd say is Carter and Calderon. Everyone else thinks they can go 1 v 5.

You are right though that Ellis is more of a factor but honestly Ellis sucks imo and I don't trust him with the ball. VC's 24 minutes is just Carlisle's ridiculous OCD he never keeps a player in past their rotation. VC does better in his 24 minutes than Ellis' 30+. Ellis' stat's are pretty good this year actually but from watching I can say that the numbers don't tell the whole story...Ellis has lost plenty of games but he's better than OJ mayo was no doubt.

sunsfan88
03-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Monta got it all.