PDA

View Full Version : Should The Heat Really Try to Get The #1 Seed In The East?

South Side Sox
03-24-2014, 12:34 PM
As of today's standings the Heat have the #2 seed and the Pacers the #1.

That means the Heat as of today would have to go through the Bobcats, Raptors, or the Wizards before the ECF. Pacers would have the Hawks, Bulls, and Nets before the ECF.

Yes the Heat would like to get home court with the extra home game, but it might be worth it too rest LeBron and Wade to keep them fresh for the playoffs. With 4 games back from the Pacers, this might be a good idea with about 12-14 games left for all.

Your thoughts.

tredigs
03-24-2014, 12:42 PM
As of today's standings the Heat have the #2 seed and the Pacers the #1.

That means the Heat as of today would have to go through the Bobcats, Raptors, or the Wizards before the ECF. Pacers would have the Hawks, Bulls, and Nets before the ECF.

Yes the Heat would like to get home court with the extra home game, but it might be worth it too rest LeBron and Wade to keep them fresh for the playoffs. With 4 games back from the Pacers, this might be a good idea with about 12-14 games left for all.

Your thoughts.

Well, you're assuming that the other teams will remain in their same positions in this scenario, and those teams are as close as 0.5 games apart, so that likely won't be the case. Maybe you're right, though, it does sort of feel like these two squads are trying to out-suck each other right now (nh). Either way, the West teams are sitting here crying at the "tough" scenario to the ECF. "Must be nice".

albertajaysfan
03-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Seeding should not be their primary concern at the moment. Playing as a cohesive unit is far more important.

Plus in my opinion the 2nd seed actually gives them an easier path to the ECF at this stage. And I am saying this as a Raptors fan who thinks we have a legit shot at making the 2nd round.

Cal827
03-24-2014, 12:58 PM
lol as Tredigs mentioned things could change. But I would think that the higher teams would want to deal with a team with little playoff experience... for example, if things stand, and the Raptors/Wizards are a first round match-up, I'm pretty sure that the higher team in their bracket wouldn't mind lol

KnicksorBust
03-24-2014, 03:01 PM
The irony is the #1 seed gets screwed having to play a tough Nets or Bulls team in round 2.

Hawkeye15
03-24-2014, 03:26 PM
not at the expense of not resting Wade and LeBron.

torocan
03-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Ah, I see.

This is where the Heat fans are thinking about the "easy" road to the finals, even if it means giving up HCA to Indiana.

As if being in the East isn't easy enough...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh:

jerellh528
03-24-2014, 03:35 PM
They'll turn it on soon, when they're done coasting. Either that or lbj, wade, and bosh already have free agency on their minds

Pierzynski4Prez
03-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Who they play isn't nearly as important as HCA vs Indy, which isn't nearly as important as ensuring their top guys are rested for when most important.

Goose17
03-24-2014, 04:05 PM
I don't think they care about it. And neither they should, Lakers didn't care about it when they were about to threepeat. At this point, HCA isn't much of a worry for them.

Delrayhc
03-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Ah, I see.

This is where the Heat fans are thinking about the "easy" road to the finals, even if it means giving up HCA to Indiana.

As if being in the East isn't easy enough...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh:

No this is where heat fans are thinking let Indy have the #1 seed while Miami rests up for the playoffs. Thanks for letting us know what we're thinking Einstein.

torocan
03-24-2014, 05:07 PM
No this is where heat fans are thinking let Indy have the #1 seed while Miami rests up for the playoffs. Thanks for letting us know what we're thinking Einstein.

You DO realize that historically the team with HCA is 45-18 in the finals? And it's even WORSE if you stick to relatively recent history with game 7's...

In the last 30 postseasons, home teams are a combined 17-2 in Game 7s in the Conference Finals and NBA Finals.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/59922/nba-finals-game-7-historical-storylines

But you guys go ahead and rest up for the Playoffs with the #2 seed...

Big Zo
03-24-2014, 05:09 PM
Health is what matters. If they're healthy, they can beat anyone, anywhere.

Delrayhc
03-24-2014, 09:18 PM

You DO realize that historically the team with HCA is 45-18 in the finals? And it's even WORSE if you stick to relatively recent history with game 7's...

In the last 30 postseasons, home teams are a combined 17-2 in Game 7s in the Conference Finals and NBA Finals.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/59922/nba-finals-game-7-historical-storylines

Yea Albert because you know better than them what's best for them. They are a old team so the best thing for them would be to go full throttle for the rest of the reg season.

mightybosstone
03-24-2014, 10:23 PM
I'm very curious to see how the two teams play against each other on Wednesday. Right now they're both playing such terrible basketball and if one of them picks it up over the next two months, they could have a cake walk to the Finals.

Trwood12
03-25-2014, 12:22 AM
Pshh, they don't care. What do they have to prove at this point?

Supreme LA
03-25-2014, 01:10 AM
I don't think they care about it. And neither they should, Lakers didn't care about it when they were about to threepeat. At this point, HCA isn't much of a worry for them.

Yeah but the Lakers always tried to play their basketball after the all-star break because they Phil knew how important it was to come together heading into the postseason. So it really was never about seeding for Phil's teams. Miami on the other hand are in a position where improving their seeding will be a result of them playing their best ball as well so I think it is pretty important and should be a goal but certainly not at the risk of D-Wade's health.

TylerSL
03-25-2014, 02:05 AM
If your not trying to be the best team in the NBA then there is a problem with what you are doing. As a fan I absolutely care about having the best record in the league, not just the East and I expect the Heat to care enough to try to be the best. That said I do not feel we have to have the top seed to win the title, but if we are not trying to be to the top team then what the hell are we doing?

ModernDaySavage
03-25-2014, 02:22 AM
If your not trying to be the best team in the NBA then there is a problem with what you are doing. As a fan I absolutely care about having the best record in the league, not just the East and I expect the Heat to care enough to try to be the best. That said I do not feel we have to have the top seed to win the title, but if we are not trying to be to the top team then what the hell are we doing?

Really? How about winning a championship? Which I would have to say makes you the top team once that goal is accomplished.

Goose17
03-25-2014, 03:36 AM

Being the top seeding means nothing. It doesn't make you the best team. You could finish 8th and barely make the playoffs but if you win the championship, you are the best team in the league.

Seeding is irrelevant when you're coming off back to back championships, as the reigning champs, you're still the best team in the league.

TylerSL
03-25-2014, 03:13 PM
Really? How about winning a championship? Which I would have to say makes you the top team once that goal is accomplished.

Getting the top seed does hold importance still however as playing a potential game 7 of the Finals in your own house is a great luxury in itself. Having HCA means the championship will go through you literally and figuratively.

TylerSL
03-25-2014, 03:21 PM
Being the top seeding means nots, you're shing. It doesn't make you the best team. You could finish 8th and barely make the playoffs but if you win the championship, you are the best team in the league.

Seeding is irrelevant when you're coming off back to back championships, as the reigning champtill the best team in the league.

I agree that being the top seed is not "be all end all" in terms of importance, but it does have its luxuries. No you do not have to be a top seed to win the title, but you have to pretty damn good. Would we have won Game 6 last year if it were in San Antonio? I seriously don't know, the series would have been completely different had they had HCA. I doubt Miami earns the top seed this year, however it is something worthy of fighting for.

MonroeFAN
03-25-2014, 03:28 PM

The fact that the Pistons went 4-1 makes that stat even more telling.

Ahh... what an incredible team.

torocan
03-25-2014, 04:51 PM
The fact that the Pistons went 4-1 makes that stat even more telling.

Ahh... what an incredible team.

The Pistons were literally once in a couple of generations in terms of outcomes. You could bet on teams in a similar situation for the next 30 years and never see it again.

I rank the Pistons right up there with teams like the Miracle Mets. Not quite that high, but not crazy far off either.

South Side Sox
03-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Down to 3 games with the Heat's victory over the Blazers and the Pacers losing to the Bulls.

Lets see how the 3 seed plays out with the Nets and Raptors.

NBA_Starter
03-25-2014, 09:40 PM
Down to 3 games with the Heat's victory over the Blazers and the Pacers losing to the Bulls.

Lets see how the 3 seed plays out with the Nets and Raptors.

I think the Nets hole was just too big for too long to catch them.

South Side Sox
03-25-2014, 09:40 PM

Regular season on your seed means nothing. If you can't win on the road means you are hoping for home court to pull off 4 wins in your house.

82 games is a grind, and IMO the Heat have #2 and should at least rest Wade for the playoffs.

South Side Sox
03-25-2014, 09:42 PM
I think the Nets hole was just too big for too long to catch them.

Last I checked the Nets where 1.5 games out. Plenty of time in the Atlantic.

TylerSL
03-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Regular season on your seed means nothing. If you can't win on the road means you are hoping for home court to pull off 4 wins in your house.

82 games is a grind, and IMO the Heat have #2 and should at least rest Wade for the playoffs.

That is such an overused untrue statement. If you have the best record you get to play Game 7 in your house. It makes a difference. Its not the outlining factor over who will win the title, but it does mean something. To say otherwise is just wrong.

NBA_Starter
03-26-2014, 10:30 PM
Last I checked the Nets where 1.5 games out. Plenty of time in the Atlantic.

That's true, what they have done so far is pretty amazing.

South Side Sox
03-26-2014, 11:20 PM
That is such an overused untrue statement. If you have the best record you get to play Game 7 in your house. It makes a difference. Its not the outlining factor over who will win the title, but it does mean something. To say otherwise is just wrong.

After tonight it is looking like the Pacers will go 85% out until the playoffs.

The game tonight.

Headcases, BS cheap shots, taunting, crying.

If this is going be the preview of the ECF, forget it viewing. I will just watch the WCF until the finals.

Grown men acting like Prima Donnas on prime time.

EvanTurner
03-27-2014, 01:40 AM
The heat are a disgrace to basketball these dudes cry so damn much im sick of them. Wade is washed up and broken down to rhe point he begged and cried to the refs to get lance thrown out because they had no answer for him. The heat fear the pacers in a 7 game series because they cannot beat indiana 4 times in 7 games period. What kind champs cry and beg for somebody to be thrown out because they cant stop him? **** the heat they are the weakest champs ive ever seen in the nba