PDA

View Full Version : Will Middlebrooks gets contacts

grandsalami
03-21-2014, 02:59 PM
1. Red Sox third baseman Will Middlebrooks has had a good spring training, hitting the ball from line to line -- and it'll be interesting to see if he gets even better in the days ahead, given a change he just made. He related to John Kruk that last spring, he got a call from an eye doctor but never followed up.

This spring, he did ... and as it turned out, he told Kruk, he needed an eye prescription. He wore contacts for the first time during a game in Boston's exhibition two days ago

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/post?id=5389

Bo Sox Fan
03-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Goalies in hockey look funny wearing eye glasses under there mask.

That's all I've got for this thread.

Nomar
03-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Oh so THATS why he cant get on base.

Melo15
03-21-2014, 10:10 PM

h8r.

Station 13
03-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Hopeful he can improved his defense and hits 25HR and drives in 70+

RedSoxtober
03-22-2014, 12:41 AM

I can say from personal experience that your eyesight can degrade slowly over time and the changes are slow and subtle enough that you may not notice it at first. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for a little while in case his eyesight was effecting his ability to read pitches out of the pitcher's hand.

n83417
03-22-2014, 04:31 PM
I thought it was his cell phone contacts. I was gonna give jenny dell a call.

ruckus16969
03-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Hopefully this will help him out.. IDK why he ignored it last year though

corky831
03-24-2014, 05:54 PM
I believe something similar happened to trot nixon early in his career and when he had his eyes fixed he became a much better player

Station 13
03-25-2014, 07:28 PM
How about Middlebrooks? Only 3K this spring and hitting the ball very well. Defense could use some work.

todu82
03-26-2014, 01:06 PM
If it helps improve his game and he becomes a better player I see this being a positive for him.

Nomar
03-26-2014, 10:45 PM
If it seriously helps him offensively to the point where he can produce enough to play 1B, then that's perfect for us. Maybe a pipe dream but who knows.

RedSoxtober
03-27-2014, 08:46 AM
Boston Herald has a piece on him today after a 2/3 day put him at .341 for ST (however meaningless that may be)...

A free swinger with power who is far more prone to striking out than drawing a walk, Middlebrooks never will be confused with Red Sox teammates who grind out long at-bats and drive up pitch counts. But he has spent considerable time talking with left fielder Jonny Gomes and designated hitter David Ortiz in an attempt to develop a more disciplined approach.

So far, so good. Middlebrooks has struck out only three times and drawn three walks in 47 plate appearances this spring.

“My contact’s there, power’s there, and I think I just finally am seeing the ball how I should be,” he said. “I think a lot of that goes with being healthy and working on my approach, talking with the guys, watching a lot of video. A lot’s gone into it, so it’s nice for it to all start to come together a little bit.”

I realize that he means "seeing the ball" in the way hitters usually describe it but I wonder if the contacts are helping the cause.

Shaiza
03-28-2014, 09:11 AM
This has totally inspired me to go get a vision exam, something I haven't done in 3-4 years. Maybe this will improve my game too.

StryderSox
03-28-2014, 01:28 PM

:hope: Maybe this explains the strike outs where his bat is two feet away from theball.

-Lavigne43-
03-29-2014, 01:53 PM
I was listening to the game on the radio, they said he had 20/30 vision. That's mild, but for baseball that's really bad. They like to give contacts to players with normal 20/20 vision to get above average vision, I believe they said he had a 20/15 prescription. This will really help him recognize pitches.

Nomar
03-29-2014, 09:07 PM
I was listening to the game on the radio, they said he had 20/30 vision. That's mild, but for baseball that's really bad. They like to give contacts to players with normal 20/20 vision to get above average vision, I believe they said he had a 20/15 prescription. This will really help him recognize pitches.

Let's hope. Between the contacts and the preaching from the vets, he will learn how to take a walk and stop guessing so much. No guarantees, but if he does he has the power to be a damn good hitter.

-Lavigne43-
03-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Let's hope. Between the contacts and the preaching from the vets, he will learn how to take a walk and stop guessing so much. No guarantees, but if he does he has the power to be a damn good hitter.

Who knows how he reacts to it and what his pitch recognition skills are like even with great vision, but he should be able to pick up the spin on the pitch quicker. With 20/30 vision I believe he would be able to recognize a pitch around 20 feet after a player with normal vision. Now he has above average vision, this could be huge for him.

-Lavigne43-
03-30-2014, 12:27 PM
“For everyday life, you’d never correct it,” he said. “But for what I do, you need to be able to see the little things. Once I put them in, I could really see the spin on the ball. I was always just reading trajectory of the ball. I was never seeing the spin.”

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/content/20140330-to-recognize-pitches-better-will-middlebrooks-had-to-see-pitches-better.ece

RedSoxtober
03-30-2014, 07:22 PM
http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/content/20140330-to-recognize-pitches-better-will-middlebrooks-had-to-see-pitches-better.ece

Exactly what I guessed. That should help him a ton.

cocossox
04-03-2014, 07:49 PM
I've been a fan of his since day 1 but he needs to show more. I hope he gets better.

RedSoxtober
05-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Although third baseman Will Middlebrooks ditched the contact lenses he wore in spring training, he has considered trying glasses.

“It’s something to look into, see if it’s any better,” Middlebrooks said. “They make Oakleys that look just like sunglasses. For day games, it would look like I was wearing regular sunglasses.”

Middlebrooks tried contacts to help sharpen his vision at the plate, but said they caused his eyes to dry out. Regardless, he insists he doesn’t have trouble seeing the ball without corrective lenses.

“I tried to trick myself into thinking it helped me, but I’ve hit like this my whole life,” Middlebrooks said. “It’s hard to change now. What it did, it really changed my depth perception. It’s something to try maybe in the offseason, not when I’m trying to hit off (Cincinnati ace) Homer Bailey. You can’t do that.”
Boston Herald

Hmm...
ST: .353/.389/.667
Season: .214/.344/.392

Yeah, good choice.

MarcCrawford
05-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Something tells me he faces very slightly easier pitching in spring training.

Pittz
05-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Boston Herald

Hmm...
ST: .353/.389/.667
Season: .214/.344/.392

Yeah, good choice.

His 11.5 BB% is actually a bit encouraging, at least. From what I have seen, he certainly has seemed more patient at the plate, working counts and not swinging at everything with two strikes. He has also watched some very hittable pitches go by with two strikes, which sometimes makes me wonder if he just decides before the pitch whether he's going to swing or not. His willingness to take a pitch has given me a bit of optimism though, when I have never had faith in him.

RedSoxtober
05-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Something tells me he faces very slightly easier pitching in spring training.

Sometimes, yes. In the first two weeks of ST pitchers tend to go only 2-3 innings. Then again, positional starters tend to go only 2-3PA so for your insinuation to be sustained he would either have had to feast in his last PA or to have padded his stats VERY early and then coast.

It's also true that pitchers tend to be heavier on the concentration of their fastballs early in ST and bring along their secondary pitches later. Had he been the talk of the town early in ST I'd buy it... but he wasn't.

Note that the original article came at the END of ST, when his body of work was fairly impressive. The point of the article was to help explain why the results were so different and, perhaps, why Sox fans could be encouraged about his prospects for 2014 (a major source of concern while Drew was hovering off stage).

WMB has always been willing to chase balls well out of the zone. His eyesight probably helps explain why -- his inability to read the rotation on the ball makes it more difficult to determine which way the pitch will break. He said so himself when he tried contacts. Hope he eschews vanity and chooses to work with the tools that make him a better player.