PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Spurs

Drewlius
03-20-2014, 05:16 AM
What else do the Spurs have to do in order for you guys to quit talking about insignificant ally oops to Blake Griffin & Carmelo Anthony putting up Michael Redd PGM to get some real ****ing basketball discussion in this *****?

Saddletramp
03-20-2014, 05:45 AM
It sounds like you're mad. Don't be mad.

PurpleLynch
03-20-2014, 08:08 AM
PSD is our virtual psychoanalyst after all. :D

SanAntonioSpurs23
03-20-2014, 08:45 AM
:laugh: This is nothing new

torocan
03-20-2014, 10:19 AM
The Spurs are like mother nature.

Every day you wake up, you know that the sun is going to come up, the wind will blow, the clouds will be in the sky, and the Spurs are going to be in the play offs.

What more is there to say about the Spurs that hasn't been said about them in the last 17 years?

Just be happy that the Spurs have reached the point that it's not even interesting to talk about how far they'll go. The Spurs will be in the play offs. Nobody will be shocked if they make a deep run. And folks will at best be mildly surprised if they end up in the WCF or Finals.

Talk to us once Tim Duncan and Pops retire if you want a lot of Spurs threads.

SPURSFAN1
03-20-2014, 12:46 PM
People always sleep on them because no one writes about us.

P&GRealist
03-20-2014, 01:58 PM
I think the whole world was ready to finally give them props as they were just seconds away from taking down the evil empire that is the Miami Heat.

But then Pop decided to basically hand the trophy to Miami by sitting down Tim Duncan in game 6, and offense rebound given up, and a Ray Allen 3. And then Pop decides to sit down Parker in the crucial stretch in game 7.

They had their chance, and they choked, most specifically Popovich.

As I said, they are a regular season teaser, but haven't gotten it done the last 4 playoffs.

They don't win it this yr, and essentially that proves my point that they are just a teasing regular season team who chokes on the big stage.

ewing
03-20-2014, 02:20 PM
I think the whole world was ready to finally give them props as they were just seconds away from taking down the evil empire that is the Miami Heat.

But then Pop decided to basically hand the trophy to Miami by sitting down Tim Duncan in game 6, and offense rebound given up, and a Ray Allen 3. And then Pop decides to sit down Parker in the crucial stretch in game 7.

As I said, they are a regular season teaser, but haven't gotten it done the last 4 playoffs.

They don't win it this yr, and essentially that proves my point that they are just a teasing regular season team who chokes on the big stage.

blame god for having tony tweak a hamstring or making timmy miss a cheapy. I would have left Timmy in but don't blame Pop.

kdspurman
03-20-2014, 02:23 PM
blame god for having tony tweak a hamstring or making timmy miss a cheapy. I would have left Timmy in but don't blame Pop.

TP getting hurt has been severely overlooked by most cause all they think of is game 6. Game 7 was there for the taking too. The defense on Miller/Battier was not great, those guys got hot at the right time.

ewing
03-20-2014, 02:27 PM
TP getting hurt has been severely overlooked by most cause all they think of is game 6. Game 7 was there for the taking too. The defense on Miller/Battier was not great, those guys got hot at the right time.

I'm sure if Tony doesn't get hurt that series is before game 7 and the Spurs have another ring. **** happens

P&GRealist
03-20-2014, 02:49 PM
You guys are always looking for excuses on Pop's behalf. This is the first time I think that an actual head coach cost his own team the title.

TrueFan420
03-20-2014, 02:53 PM

Serious they choke on the biggest stage? Their 4 wins out of 5 finals trips. With the one loss in a game 7.

smith&wesson
03-20-2014, 02:59 PM
I have never seen a core of players have the longevity that the spurs have had... amazing team, probably a dynasty. they are even beating father time. #winners!

smith&wesson
03-20-2014, 03:01 PM

your talking about one finals appearance out of many... and alot of people didnt even have the spurs getting to the finals.. saying things like "they old' "they should rebuild" "theyre done" give credit where its due.

1-800-STFU
03-20-2014, 03:02 PM

Oh, ok.

Big Zo
03-20-2014, 03:09 PM

You don't know that Duncan gets that rebound if he was in the game, so how could it have been a mistake? Besides, Vogel took Hibbert out at the end of game 1, too.

beyourself
03-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Tim Duncan is 37. You want to go ahead and say the Spurs are chokers when Duncan is freaking 37 years old!

He should be fat and smoking cigars by now, but no he pushed the World Champions to game 7.

You guys are dumb.

ewing
03-20-2014, 03:12 PM
You guys are always looking for excuses on Pop's behalf. This is the first time I think that an actual head coach cost his own team the title.

Boris made for better match ups an gave your defense a better chances at switching and recovering it also hurt your ability to rebound. One of the offensive rebounds was off a ****ing air ball and the other was when the Spurs were caught in a scramble. It was a legit coaching decision that backfired. Its not like he pulled a Chris Webber and asked for an extra TO. Pop is a HOF coach who has never cost the Spurs anything

ewing
03-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Tim Duncan is 37. You want to go ahead and say the Spurs are chokers when Duncan is freaking 37 years old!

He should be fat and smoking cigars by now, but no he pushed the World Champions to game 7.

You guys are dumb.

seriously i didn't even notice that part of his post. Dude's a troll

NYJ - NYY
03-20-2014, 09:59 PM

Oh, ok.

Funniest answer goes to this guy

NBA_Starter
03-20-2014, 10:39 PM
I give the Spurs nothing but love.

P&GRealist
03-20-2014, 11:20 PM
your talking about one finals appearance out of many... and alot of people didnt even have the spurs getting to the finals.. saying things like "they old' "they should rebuild" "theyre done" give credit where its due.

You sound illiterate. Where did I say that they're old and should rebuild?

P&GRealist
03-20-2014, 11:24 PM
You don't know that Duncan gets that rebound if he was in the game, so how could it have been a mistake? Besides, Vogel took Hibbert out at the end of game 1, too.
Duncan had 17 rebounds in that game to go along with 30 pts. High probability he gets the rebound or at the very least boxes out Bosh.

P&GRealist
03-20-2014, 11:26 PM
Boris made for better match ups an gave your defense a better chances at switching and recovering it also hurt your ability to rebound. One of the offensive rebounds was off a ****ing air ball and the other was when the Spurs were caught in a scramble. It was a legit coaching decision that backfired. Its not like he pulled a Chris Webber and asked for an extra TO. Pop is a HOF coach who has never cost the Spurs anything
Pop is not perfect, or else he wouldn't have got his *** kicked by Phil 4 out of 5 times.

P&GRealist
03-20-2014, 11:27 PM

You guys are dumb.

What does TD being 37 yrs old have anything to do with the discussion?

ewing
03-20-2014, 11:28 PM
Pop is not perfect, or else he wouldn't have got his *** kicked by Phil 4 out of 5 times.

huh, how many rings would make him a good coach? How many role guys can you get maximum production out of. no one is perfect.

P&GRealist
03-20-2014, 11:30 PM
Serious they choke on the biggest stage? Their 4 wins out of 5 finals trips. With the one loss in a game 7.

I said chokers the last 4 postseasons, ever since Pop revamped the Spurs identity with small ball up tempo style.

Reading is fundamental.

P&GRealist
03-20-2014, 11:31 PM
huh, how many rings would make him a good coach? How many role guys can you get maximum production out of. no one is perfect.
Who said he isn't a good coach?

I said he's not perfect.

Why do you knuckleheads keep making **** up out of your butts? :confused:

torocan
03-20-2014, 11:38 PM
*Yawn*

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that some of the Spurs fans just don't realize how good they got it.

There are SO many teams that would KILL to have Pops as their coach. Maybe they should fire Pops and hire Mike Brown for a few seasons. We'll see how they like their team after a 4 or 5 year contract...

Seriously, Spurs fans who complain about how things are being run in SA don't deserve to have an organization and coaching staff as good as Pops and the Spurs.

ewing
03-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Who said he isn't a good coach?

I said he's not perfect.

Why do you knuckleheads keep making **** up out of your butts? :confused:

you said he cost his team a chip. That's BS. He is a GREAT coach who did what he does. that time it backfired. you still were not in that postion without Pop and i'm a guy that gives NBA coaches less credit then most. He is a great coach who employed a team defense that handcuffed the best player in then world for most of 6 games. Dude is the ****. The Heat were a better team and the Spurs probably should have won in my mind. Pop had a lot to do with that.

P&GRealist
03-20-2014, 11:45 PM
you said he cost his team a chip. That's BS. He is a GREAT coach who did what he does. that time it backfired. you still were not in that postion without Pop and i'm a guy that gives NBA coaches less credit then most. He is a great coach who employed a team defense that handcuffed the best player in then world for most of 6 games. Dude is the ****. The Heat were a better team and the Spurs probably should have won in my mind. Pop had a lot to do with that.

I'm not doubting his coaching ability, but it can take one misstep to cost ur team the championship, and he had that 1 major crucial misstep.
Plain and simple.

P&GRealist
03-20-2014, 11:47 PM
Plain and simple, the Spurs have got to win the whole thing after last yrs debacle.

ewing
03-20-2014, 11:48 PM
I'm not doubting his coaching ability, but it can take one misstep to cost ur team the championship, and he had that 1 major crucial misstep.
Plain and simple.

you are not going to get it. its cool

P&GRealist
03-20-2014, 11:57 PM
you are not going to get it. its cool

I get it. I applaud him for reinventing the Spurs when it seemed they were aging with Horry, Bowen, Finley and Nesterovic as their supporting cast.

I give him props for getting swept by the Gentry run and gun Spurs in 2010, which motivated him to change the tempo of how the Spurs played the next season.

I give him props for managing his players minutes and getting Timmy to perform at a high level.

I give him props for keeping this team mentally strong and atop the West despite last yrs heartbreaking finals.

I would love to see the Spurs win it this yr.

I was one of those fans last yr that threw my shoe at the tv when the Spurs had the trophy in the grasp of their hands with 40 seconds left in game 6 and then choked.

I'm very angry with Pop's decisions to this day, and I'm not even a Spurs fan. I wanted to see them take down the evil Miami empire. But they disappointed me.

That's where my frustration comes from.

torocan
03-20-2014, 11:59 PM
Plain and simple.

1. You're judging his decision in hindsight. If the Spurs had ended up winning the championship would you still have felt it was the wrong decision? Would you be calling out his bad judgement if they were hoisting the trophy?

2. You're assuming that it was the incorrect basketball play. As basketball observers we do our best to think about what we would do if we were on the sidelines running the game. And as outside observers we can often see coaching errors. However, the odds of us seeing something that a coach doesn't declines as the skill and knowledge of the coach in question increases.

Simply put, when I see a mediocre or bad coach and think they've made a coaching error, I have much greater faith in my judgement than when I see a coach like Pops make a coaching decision that doesn't fit my expectation.

Pops is one of the greatest NBA coaches of all time. He's widely acknowledged among his peers as one of the greatest coaches in the NBA, past and present. If Pops makes a decision on the floor that I'm not sure about, I'm going to *always* give him the benefit of the doubt and *assume* that he's seeing something that I am NOT seeing.

It's the difference between a high school competitive chess player and a Grandmaster. A High school player might see 5 or 6 moves ahead. An internationally rated grand master sees 20 moves ahead. And guys like Kasparov and Fisher see 25-30 moves ahead. Is it possible he outsmarted himself? Sure. However, I would never, EVER have the arrogance to assume that what I view as the "smart" basketball decision is going to be smarter than Pops.

Between you, me, the entirety of PSD and Pops, the only person who's smart enough to question Pops decision making is Pops. The rest of us are just lucky to see a guy as good as him at work.

You can call it "a mistake" all you want. I'll still take Pops making the call over yours 100/100, regardless of the end result. And I suspect 29 other NBA coaches would as well.

P&GRealist
03-21-2014, 12:12 AM
1. You're judging his decision in hindsight. If the Spurs had ended up winning the championship would you still have felt it was the wrong decision? Would you be calling out his bad judgement if they were hoisting the trophy?

2. You're assuming that it was the incorrect basketball play. As basketball observers we do our best to think about what we would do if we were on the sidelines running the game. And as outside observers we can often see coaching errors. However, the odds of us seeing something that a coach doesn't declines as the skill and knowledge of the coach in question increases.

Simply put, when I see a mediocre or bad coach and think they've made a coaching error, I have much greater faith in my judgement than when I see a coach like Pops make a coaching decision that doesn't fit my expectation.

Pops is one of the greatest NBA coaches of all time. He's widely acknowledged among his peers as one of the greatest coaches in the NBA, past and present. If Pops makes a decision on the floor that I'm not sure about, I'm going to *always* give him the benefit of the doubt and *assume* that he's seeing something that I am NOT seeing.

It's the difference between a high school competitive chess player and a Grandmaster. A High school player might see 5 or 6 moves ahead. An internationally rated grand master sees 20 moves ahead. And guys like Kasparov and Fisher see 25-30 moves ahead. Is it possible he outsmarted himself? Sure. However, I would never, EVER have the arrogance to assume that what I view as the "smart" basketball decision is going to be smarter than Pops.

Between you, me, the entirety of PSD and Pops, the only person who's smart enough to question Pops decision making is Pops. The rest of us are just lucky to see a guy as good as him at work.

You can call it "a mistake" all you want. I'll still take Pops making the call over yours 100/100, regardless of the end result. And I suspect 29 other NBA coaches would as well.
Point #1: when Pop took Tim out of the game, right there and then I screamed at the tv asking wtf is he doing?

Then LeBron missed the 3, Bosh got the offensive board to Ray, and the rest is history.

I was already criticizing the move before the offensive rebound and Allen dagger happened. So your hindsight theory goes down the toilet like a big pile of ****.

Everything else uve said in your post is over excessive extraneous verbal diarrhea that holds no meaning to my argument.

Good day sir.

SPURSFAN1
03-21-2014, 02:07 AM
Point #1: when Pop took Tim out of the game, right there and then I screamed at the tv asking wtf is he doing?

Then LeBron missed the 3, Bosh got the offensive board to Ray, and the rest is history.

I was already criticizing the move before the offensive rebound and Allen dagger happened. So your hindsight theory goes down the toilet like a big pile of ****.

Everything else uve said in your post is over excessive extraneous verbal diarrhea that holds no meaning to my argument.

Good day sir.

I think non Spurs fans took game 6 worse than any spurs fan. I'm over it. It'll always be on my mind, but I have closure. I look at this year as another test. Hopefully we can go back, and show everyone what we're really made of.

Duncan = Donkey
03-21-2014, 02:24 AM
Can not wait until they suck for once in the time i have watched NBA

Hawkeye15
03-21-2014, 02:39 AM
Plain and simple.

yeah, he says that still keeps him up at night. That being said, he is a top 5 basketball coach ever, no argument imo.

In no order:

Red
Phil
Wooden
Pops
Summit

Hawkeye15
03-21-2014, 02:41 AM
Can not wait until they suck for once in the time i have watched NBA

I am 38, and barely remember them sucking, when they had Del Negro (I was the Spurs by choice in NBA LIVE 95', and Del Negro led the league with 48 ppg...), Cadillac Anderson, and a whole other pile of crap.

Then the Admiral came, Elliot, Avery, and then Pops. And they have destroyed everything since. ****ers.

Ebbs
03-21-2014, 04:45 AM
Lollllll the angry fan rantings are 90% of original threads on this forsaken forum.

Also Griffin still gets bashed at every turn. He's been a top ten player this year but the masses still attack him like he's a gimmick.

kdspurman
03-21-2014, 09:39 AM
Plain and simple, the Spurs have got to win the whole thing after last yrs debacle.

I said chokers the last 4 postseasons, ever since Pop revamped the Spurs identity with small ball up tempo style.

Reading is fundamental.

Not really.. They pretty much have had a pretty great run. Winning it all or not, their legacy is established.

And what Pop did was remarkable. He had to adjust to the speed of the game with the pieces he had. He didn't always have the best personnel/role players (see Richard Jefferson), but I mean the last 2 years, getting back to playing elite defense, they've been to the WCF and then the Finals. So you see it as they're chokers, yet you look at all these other franchises that were elite at one point in the past 20 years and now are terrible. Spurs fans and others I'm sure can appreciate the fact that every year for the past 15 years (17 if you factor in the lockout) regardless of the guys on the team, this team has won 50 games and every year getting to see their team in the playoffs.

Not to mention they don't have success in terms of bringing in big name FA's cause of where they play. So Pop & Co. (probably the best in the biz at scouting) have to bring role players in that fit the culture, will know their role, and develop them. That's what coaching is. Developing your guys and putting them in the best position to be successful. No one does it better than him.

Frankly, I'm sure mostteams/fans would be fine with rooting for "chokers" if they've been to the playoffs 17 straight years and won rings nearly 25% of the time and been to the finals 5 times.

kdspurman
03-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Plain and simple.

I understand the argument from both ends of having TD on the court. Let's not forget the crucial missed FT's by Leonard/Ginobili. The fact that Parker got hurt and wasn't the same after? The whole idea of having Diaw in there was cause the Spurs planned on switching on everything. As great as TD is in the paint and on the boards, at 37 years old he could not go out on the perimeter to guard Lebron or anyone really for that matter. If you actually watch that play:

*It starts with Leonard on Lebron
*Chalmers brings the ball up with Parker guarding him
*Lebron screens for Chalmers and takes the ball. Leonard switches to Chalmers and Parker has to switch to Lebron.
*Bosh then picks Parker, and Diaw has to switch and come out on Lebron to contest the shot, but what ends up happening is Parker & Diaw run out on Lebron and contest, and Bosh runs to the paint to rebound, minus 2 Spur players
*Diaw/Parker are the last 2 to get to the paint, and Bosh gets the rebound around Manu/Green. Leonard got there too late cause he stayed with Chalmers in the corner.

Knowing this, Duncan is slower than Diaw at this point. He would have had less of a chance to grab the rebound than Diaw . What could have happened is maybe fouling Bosh as soon as he got the rebound. That's on the Spurs guys for not knowing the situation. Either way, it turned into a scramble play that worked in Miami's favor.

MikefromMars
03-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Spurs are the best ran franchise in all of sports.

They're the quiet professionals. People don't talk about them, and they like it that way. Assassins.

Jarvo
03-21-2014, 11:11 AM

Lost one Finals buddy

Jarvo
03-21-2014, 11:15 AM
As a Spurs fan I really don't care anymore that they get overlooked by the media to hear about whatever is the hot subject to talk about because it's stupid to care when they don't, I just want them to go to The Finals again and win it! And if we do I pray it's against The Heat because I'm not over that lost at all and never will be as I live in Miami.

slashsnake
03-21-2014, 02:10 PM
Been almost 8 years since they won a title. Tired of the 60 regular season wins and choking in the playoffs... lol Ok bad joke

Actually, I kind of wonder why people don't like the spurs more. I guess it is the fatigue that they are always so good. But as a team, they play with great fundamentals, no real media whores, no overpayed stars, no bad influences (worst you get is Parkers love life).

It is kind of the team that doesn't do what everyone whines and complains other teams have too much of, but still nobody likes it.

torocan
03-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Been almost 8 years since they won a title. Tired of the 60 regular season wins and choking in the playoffs... lol Ok bad joke

Actually, I kind of wonder why people don't like the spurs more. I guess it is the fatigue that they are always so good. But as a team, they play with great fundamentals, no real media whores, no overpayed stars, no bad influences (worst you get is Parkers love life).

It is kind of the team that doesn't do what everyone whines and complains other teams have too much of, but still nobody likes it.

Most people that are serious basketball guys that I know like the Spurs. Or at a minimum respect the Spurs. And Pops and Tim Duncan get loads of love. Folks just don't post everywhere about it because it's reached the point of it being expected.

I do think part of it is fatigue. 17 seasons of 50+ wins and what more is there left to say?

Pops is doing great. Tim Duncan is clearly a hall of famer. Tony Parker is doing his Tony Parker thing. The Spurs just won 50+ games in the regular season. Again. And the Spurs are one of the teams to beat in the Play offs.

Now tell me WHICH season I just described.

See what I mean?

slashsnake
03-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Most people that are serious basketball guys that I know like the Spurs. Or at a minimum respect the Spurs. And Pops and Tim Duncan get loads of love. Folks just don't post everywhere about it because it's reached the point of it being expected.

I do think part of it is fatigue. 17 seasons of 50+ wins and what more is there left to say?

Pops is doing great. Tim Duncan is clearly a hall of famer. Tony Parker is doing his Tony Parker thing. The Spurs just won 50+ games in the regular season. Again. And the Spurs are one of the teams to beat in the Play offs.

Now tell me WHICH season I just described.

See what I mean?

Exactly. Never liked them just because they would always knock out my nuggets and I didn't like Ginobili's flopping. Still respected them all though. I think the biggest part is it is old hat. They don't change, why talk about something that hasn't changed. Like you said, you could write a story on that team 8 years ago and just reprint it and it would be true today for them as well.

SanAntonioSpurs23
03-21-2014, 04:53 PM
It's hilarious how spoiled Spurs fans are. I mean we have had 15 consecutive 50 win seasons. That **** is ridiculous!!!!

I think it's foolish to blame Pop for taking Timmy out game 6. Was it a mistake? Sure was, but it wasn't the only thing that cost us #5. Nobody seems to talk about Manu's 600 turnovers, or the fact that both him and Leonard missed 2 Ft's that would have iced the game. Ray Allen hit one of the biggest shots of all time...... **** happens :(