PDA

View Full Version : What happens to LeBrons career?

Tumstock
03-19-2014, 07:47 AM
What kind of player will he be at the end of his career? For how long do you think he'll play? And what will his Numbers look like toward the end?

I'm sure this has been discussed b4, but let me know what ya'll think!

Da Knicks
03-19-2014, 09:25 AM
What kind of player will he be at the end of his career? For how long do you think he'll play? And what will his Numbers look like toward the end?

I see a major knee injury soon I don't know why. Not wishing it.

ewing
03-19-2014, 09:29 AM
footwork improves, relays on passing and post game more

Master Mind
03-19-2014, 10:03 AM

:pity: What?

ztilzer31
03-19-2014, 10:25 AM

Honestly I think he'll play for way too long, but I think he's humble enough to take a role on a team instead of needing to be the #1 option.

I can see LBJ playing till he's 40. Pulling in 15 ppg 4 apg and probably more rebounds just from staying closer to the rim.

scissors
03-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Once his speed and quickness are gone he will be more of a PG/PF. PG in the mold of the slower facilitator types and he will probably be an excellent back to the basket PF.

Chronz
03-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Remember Magic when he returned from retirement..... kind of like that

slashsnake
03-19-2014, 01:03 PM
I think he gets a post up fadeaway he can rely on. Why not. Jordan, Barkley, Malone, Kobe all added a go to post fadeaway to their skillset as their careers moved on, and went to it often.

I think with his basketball IQ he will always be effective even if he loses that burst. He will always be a strong player too. Maybe he moves on to a more traditional 4 as his career moves along where he still has an athletic advantage in a lot of his matchups. Maybe less bringing up the ball in that point forward, but more of the passing from the post game.

Honestly, I never minded guys playing too long either. If I had the option to play a game I loved and get paid 4 million to do it (he'd still get that at least at 40), you would have to cut off a leg to get me to quit the game.

I hate to compare these two because everyone does... but remember Magic's comeback in the mid-90's when Karl Malone said it was ok? He came back as that power forward, and you could see he was old and worn down, but he had some just great moments where you said power forwards shouldn't be able to do that. He wasn't willing to keep playing at that level knowing what he used to accomplish, but I remember seeing a game of his against the Heat, and it was just like, wow, that is the kind of post player you dream of. Big enough, strong enough to play the position, but can put the ball on the floor, and find every single cutter. I could see a late 30's Lebron doing that.

Cromedome
03-19-2014, 02:02 PM
When Magic came back and ran the point....he looked like Grandpa Johnson out there.

Chronz
03-19-2014, 02:10 PM
When Magic came back and ran the point....he looked like Grandpa Johnson out there.

You mean when he ran the offense from the 4? Because he came back as a PF, clashed with Nick Van Exel IIRC.

And Grandpa Johnson could still ball, producing at an All-Star level when he was on the court.

beyourself
03-19-2014, 02:16 PM
LeBron has already moved from SF to a stretch PF. He basically is a stretch power forward right now. Yet he's still very ball dominant and he still isn't as good as he should be off ball. Which is why he can't get in rhythm with Wade sometimes. That's on him. Be less perimeter orientated.

His shooting has improved which is why his play hasn't declined much since his first 2 MVP's. But he's not really improved because his speed and ability to drive in the halfcourt has declined noticeably.

If he doesn't learn to play off ball then I'd say by 2017 or 2018 he's a shell of himself. Because right now he just can't create in the halfcourt from the perimeter like he used to. Unless he drags his butt into the post.

NoahH
03-19-2014, 02:16 PM
LeBron will play til like 39 and in that season he'll average 17ppg - 8rpg - 8apg

ghettosean
03-19-2014, 02:17 PM

I was thinking ankle... Not wishing it either but he is lugging a lot of weight for his speed and size

Chronz
03-19-2014, 02:18 PM
LeBron has already moved from SF to a stretch PF. He basically is a stretch power forward right now. Yet he's still very ball dominant and he still isn't as good as he should be off ball. Which is why he can't get in rhythm with Wade sometimes. That's on him. Be less perimeter orientated.

His shooting has improved which is why his play hasn't declined much since his first 2 MVP's. But he's not really improved because his speed and ability to drive in the halfcourt has declined noticeably.

If he doesn't learn to play off ball then I'd say by 2017 or 2018 he's a shell of himself. Because right now he just can't create in the halfcourt from the perimeter like he used to. Unless he drags his butt into the post.

Well said

slashsnake
03-19-2014, 03:22 PM
You mean when he ran the offense from the 4? Because he came back as a PF, clashed with Nick Van Exel IIRC.

And Grandpa Johnson could still ball, producing at an All-Star level when he was on the court.

Dead on. It was Van Exel or Threatt bringing it up and feeding him in the post, and he made plays with his back to the basket for the most part that year.

Kinda funny as you posted yours, I was writing my post.

Anyways, I remember a few years ago talking with a buddy about old man game (Andre Miller/Tim Duncan/Zach Randolph game). And who was built better for it, Lebron or Melo. That ability to transition from Rasheed Wallace the guy who would take you off the dribble, to Rasheed Wallace the guy who could hit the open shot.

And I went with Melo, as his athleticism isn't astounding (doesn't finish above the rim a lot), and he just seems comfortable offensively with the ball, that without that first step I feel he could still score and board. Plus it isn't like his D could suffer.

Anyways, my point was Lebron kind of reminded me a bit like Grant Hill, Penny, McDyess, Kemp, etc where he was just so quick, so fast, that if he lost that he might really suffer as so much of his game was built on it. I have to say with his offensive game improving all around, and his ability to do everything else, I think he will be just fine too. Like someone said, his quickness is "noticeably declined" this year, but he's scoring on the same level as his last two MVP years while shooting better than he ever has in his career.

P&GRealist
03-19-2014, 03:26 PM
I think he gets a post up fadeaway he can rely on. Why not. Jordan, Barkley, Malone, Kobe all added a go to post fadeaway to their skillset as their careers moved on, and went to it often.

I think with his basketball IQ he will always be effective even if he loses that burst. He will always be a strong player too. Maybe he moves on to a more traditional 4 as his career moves along where he still has an athletic advantage in a lot of his matchups. Maybe less bringing up the ball in that point forward, but more of the passing from the post game.

Honestly, I never minded guys playing too long either. If I had the option to play a game I loved and get paid 4 million to do it (he'd still get that at least at 40), you would have to cut off a leg to get me to quit the game.

I hate to compare these two because everyone does... but remember Magic's comeback in the mid-90's when Karl Malone said it was ok? He came back as that power forward, and you could see he was old and worn down, but he had some just great moments where you said power forwards shouldn't be able to do that. He wasn't willing to keep playing at that level knowing what he used to accomplish, but I remember seeing a game of his against the Heat, and it was just like, wow, that is the kind of post player you dream of. Big enough, strong enough to play the position, but can put the ball on the floor, and find every single cutter. I could see a late 30's Lebron doing that.
MJ and Kobe had the patented post up fadeaway J since their rookie seasons.

jerellh528
03-19-2014, 03:41 PM
Well people won't fear his drive anymore so his shooting % will suffer and he will be relegated to be used in the post where he doesn't have many skills, Once his supreme athleticism fades, his body will be too heavy to move around quickly because of all his mass, so he'll also be much slower and less explosive. So I think him being the smart player that he is will probably retire on top because he has a history of not wanting to look bad in the public eye, I think he will retire before the public gets a glimpse of "old Lebron", so I'm thinkin 34-35 ish.

beyourself
03-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Well people won't fear his drive anymore so his shooting % will suffer and he will be relegated to be used in the post where he doesn't have many skills, Once his supreme athleticism fades, his body will be too heavy to move around quickly because of all his mass, so he'll also be much slower and less explosive. So I think him being the smart player that he is will probably retire on top because he has a history of not wanting to look bad in the public eye, I think he will retire before the public gets a glimpse of "old Lebron", so I'm thinkin 34-35 ish.

He's already slower and heavier than he used to be. His MVP years in Cleveland were IMO his athletic peak. He's not as fast and explosive as he used to be.

But he's compensated by taking fewer shots and increasing shot quality. Waiting for his opportunities in transition and becoming a better shooter.

As his athleticism further declines he will again have to compensate like all great players do. I think his next adjustment will have to be dominating the ball less.

Bruno
03-19-2014, 04:27 PM
Karl Malone with passing ability at 36.

slashsnake
03-19-2014, 04:41 PM
MJ and Kobe had the patented post up fadeaway J since their rookie seasons.

Jordan sure didn't and for Kobe it was more of a desperation move than anything to get something up at the end of the shot clock, which is where its been for Lebron. Why shoot that when you can drive for layups and free throws, or break a guy down off the dribble and create space for a jumper on balance, or have him play off you anyways when the threat of that first step is still there?

I've seen Lebron work on it and use it, but why take it yet? The spurs press you, you get to the hole. They decide to play off in game 7, take on balance jumpers.

It was their go to move later in their careers. I remember watching an interview with Jordan during his 2nd threepeat where he was talking about how adding that to his game was a huge part of his return to basketball.

Actually found a pretty neat article about it...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/1999/jordan_retires/news/1999/01/13/taylor/

And the "bulkier" Lebron will be interesting. It isn't Oliver Miller/Michael Sweetney bulk there. It's kind of like putting a V8 in your car instead of a V6, not throwing 500 lbs of potatoes in the trunk. Sure it weighs more, but that weight might not be the bad kind if the shocks can take it. Maybe it will be too much on his knees and legs, that we will see, but as he moves inside that added muscle might be a good thing. Interesting thought though for sure.

Jeffy25
03-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Honestly I think he'll play for way too long, but I think he's humble enough to take a role on a team instead of needing to be the #1 option.

I can see LBJ playing till he's 40. Pulling in 15 ppg 4 apg and probably more rebounds just from staying closer to the rim.
This, along with what ewing said.

I think he'll accept the back up role, and stick around trying to get more rings. And I think he'll stop trying to score so much, and start relying on others to get the ball in, and he'll become the main set up guy.

I see 15 PPG on 50% shooting (still remains efficient) with 5 boards, and 5 assists per game for awhile on less minutes progressively.

And I see him bouncing around different teams trying to hook on for more rings, and taking less money to join a good trio somewhere and get as many rings as possible.

I can even see him sticking around and chasing the scoring title.

Let's say 4 more seasons at 2K points a season, he's at 30K through his age 33 season, then let's say 3 seasons averaging 1500 points per season, now he is at 34,500 points through his age 36 season.

I can see him getting 1K points per season for four more seasons and doing it.

A normal hall of fame decline. I think he starts shooting less once he relies he is no longer the best shooter on his team. He's too smart not to.

beyourself
03-19-2014, 05:16 PM
And the "bulkier" Lebron will be interesting. It isn't Oliver Miller/Michael Sweetney bulk there. It's kind of like putting a V8 in your car instead of a V6, not throwing 500 lbs of potatoes in the trunk. Sure it weighs more, but that weight might not be the bad kind if the shocks can take it. Maybe it will be too much on his knees and legs, that we will see, but as he moves inside that added muscle might be a good thing. Interesting thought though for sure.

Here's the thing though. He's already bulkier than he was and it's slowed him down physically. Compare 08-09 LeBron to now.

P&GRealist
03-19-2014, 06:46 PM
Jordan sure didn't and for Kobe it was more of a desperation move than anything to get something up at the end of the shot clock, which is where its been for Lebron. Why shoot that when you can drive for layups and free throws, or break a guy down off the dribble and create space for a jumper on balance, or have him play off you anyways when the threat of that first step is still there?

I've seen Lebron work on it and use it, but why take it yet? The spurs press you, you get to the hole. They decide to play off in game 7, take on balance jumpers.

It was their go to move later in their careers. I remember watching an interview with Jordan during his 2nd threepeat where he was talking about how adding that to his game was a huge part of his return to basketball.

Actually found a pretty neat article about it...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/1999/jordan_retires/news/1999/01/13/taylor/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aBX3lRBHKA

at 19 seconds.

RateSports
03-19-2014, 06:59 PM

Ever hear of karma?

Trwood12
03-19-2014, 07:17 PM
I see him working on his shot, post moves, and ball handling (not that he really needs it). Then two or so years from now he will reach the top of his game for a few seasons, putting up around 30-35 pts, 10 reb, 5 ast, 1-2 blk, and 1-2 stl. Then it will be a very gradual decline plagued with minor injuries that keep him off the floor. Then when he turns about 35 and his athleticism really starts to decline, he will realise that he's not what he used to be and retire before he pulls a Kobe. Either that or he will keep playing and end up on some $h!t team putting up mediocre numbers until he is 40. kind of like what we're seeing with Garnett. It will be a sad thing to watch.

NBA_Starter
03-19-2014, 07:51 PM
I see him to continue only getting better and better.

JasonJohnHorn
03-19-2014, 09:06 PM
He has the physicals gifts and skill set to excel as a point-power-forward. I expect with his conditioning that his athleticism will be around for a while, until he's 35 at least, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was still able to drive and slash at 37. But I think also by that time he will work the post more. He is big enough and strong enough to pull that off, and he has the skills and work ethic to succeed there.

Unless he gets a bad back injury, I see him playing at an All-Star level until he's 40 if he wants to play that long.

amos1er
03-20-2014, 12:16 AM

Pretty much this.

amos1er
03-20-2014, 12:45 AM
Once Lebron's freakish athleticism slows down just a half step, much like Roy Jones Jr. who operated mostly on natural talent, he will fade rather quickly. As long as the league doesn't catch him using HGH, he will probly keep it going a bit longer. My guess is that by 31 he will no longer be a top five talent in this league. You can all quote me on that one or bet me any amount of vCash you want.

amos1er
03-20-2014, 12:48 AM
He has the physicals gifts and skill set to excel as a point-power-forward. I expect with his conditioning that his athleticism will be around for a while, until he's 35 at least, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was still able to drive and slash at 37. But I think also by that time he will work the post more. He is big enough and strong enough to pull that off, and he has the skills and work ethic to succeed there.

Unless he gets a bad back injury, I see him playing at an All-Star level until he's 40 if he wants to play that long.

I don't even know how to respond.

scissors
03-20-2014, 04:03 AM
Once Lebron's freakish athleticism slows down just a half step, much like Roy Jones Jr. who operated mostly on natural talent, he will fade rather quickly. As long as the league doesn't catch him using HGH, he will probly keep it going a bit longer. My guess is that by 31 he will no longer be a top five talent in this league. You can all quote me on that one or bet me any amount of vCash you want.

You know that's only two years right?

thenaj17
03-20-2014, 05:54 AM

You really are making us Laker fans look bad. By 31? He's 29 now. By 31, he might not be still better than Durant, but he won't be outside top 2 for years to come

LeBron, barring serious injury, will be an allstar calibre player until at least 35

ghettosean
03-20-2014, 01:56 PM
You really are making us Laker fans look bad. By 31? He's 29 now. By 31, he might not be still better than Durant, but he won't be outside top 2 for years to come

LeBron, barring serious injury, will be an allstar calibre player until at least 35

I don't see what's so wrong with what he said.... There are some people that are being short sighted on Lebron and acting like he will be healthy his entire career. Around the 30 mark most players in the NBA start to break down and with Lebron taking on a lot of extra responsibility while D-Wade pretty much rests the entire season well that kind of extra work takes it's toll on the body and I think that along with Lebron being the bigger player he is for his speed and size will add to the amount of miles in his NBA Career.

I actually agree that he will take a bit of a dive as a top 5 player (No one is saying he will stink but he will be in a world of trouble when he loses his athleticism). Maybe I'm wrong though but it's just a guess but the 30 mark is usually a landmark for most NBA players turning the curve and finding out that they are no longer invincible.

I.E Lebron having back issues so he couldn't play the Celtics... When have you heard that before? (the big 3.0 dude that's when it usually starts)