PDA

View Full Version : Stephen A.Smith: Carmelo Anthony is "GONE" from New York this summer.

randyorton33
03-18-2014, 07:02 PM
Apparently he pretty much guaranteed it this morning on First Take!

http://www.balldontstop.com/report-carmelo-anthony-will-leave-new-york-free-agency/

bleedprple&gold
03-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Blah blah blah Stephen A can say whatever the hell he wants doesn't mean it's true.

goingfor28
03-18-2014, 07:06 PM
But SAS has sources

RipCity32
03-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Honestly it would probably be best for NY at this point. They just need to let Jackson try and rebuild that whole roster. Just sucks they have no draft picks.

GiantsSwaGG
03-18-2014, 07:08 PM
I believe and I would be thrilled if true!

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 07:11 PM
SAS is someone I never listen to. Ever.

FYL_McVeezy
03-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Apparently he pretty much guaranteed it this morning on First Take!

http://www.balldontstop.com/report-carmelo-anthony-will-leave-new-york-free-agency/

SAS is just butthurt that the Knicks shut him out of breaking the Phil Jackson story.....he just wants to be a lil girl about it and troll Knick fans on the day Phil Jackson is introduced....

Melo may leave, or he may not, but one thing's for sure...SAS doesn't know any more than me or you about his intentions.....

Cromedome
03-18-2014, 07:13 PM
I think the bigger story on that page is "Ben Wallace Sentenced To One Year In Jail."

randyorton33
03-18-2014, 07:14 PM
Blah blah blah Stephen A can say whatever the hell he wants doesn't mean it's true.

He is usually right bro..

RipCity32
I think the bigger story on that page is "Ben Wallace Sentenced To One Year In Jail."

No ****, I didnt know that.

kozelkid

In his defense, he was the first to break the news of the Miami big 3 coming together.

slashsnake
03-18-2014, 07:17 PM
I hate listening to SAS, but his predictions and projections aren't usually too far off.

I remember a lot of Cavs fans calling him every name in the book when he was the first to predict Lebron to Miami a few years back (I think he predicted the big three right off) making that a new potential destination.

MagicBucsSox
03-18-2014, 07:18 PM

Your missing out. He's batting .300 on reports.

SouthSideRookie
03-18-2014, 07:25 PM
And he is gone because hes at the mindset that in order to achieve any amount of success he would had to sacrifice not just this this year but next year as well, because of this current roster.

Phil or no Phil this is true. We'll see if Carmelo is really all about winning.

NBA_Starter
03-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Wasn't he right about LeBron going to Miami and no one believed him?

JeffG20
03-18-2014, 07:36 PM
SAS is just butthurt that the Knicks shut him out of breaking the Phil Jackson story.....he just wants to be a lil girl about it and troll Knick fans on the day Phil Jackson is introduced....

Melo may leave, or he may not, but one thing's for sure...SAS doesn't know any more than me or you about his intentions.....

he was saying this ,before the Phil story even came up, on First take all the time.

LongIslandIcedZ
03-18-2014, 07:40 PM
He said on the radio today that if FA started today he would be gone.

He then went on to say now that Phil is a part of the Knicks organization he'd be willing to listen to what the KNicks have to say.

SouthSideRookie
03-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Sounds like Carmelo will listen to what Chicago, Houston and Phil have to offer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/phil-jackson-takes-charge-of-the-knicks--james-dolan-takes-his-cue-to-get-lost-230358424.html

Ezio
03-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Sounds like Carmelo will listen to what Chicago, Houston and Phil have to offer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/phil-jackson-takes-charge-of-the-knicks--james-dolan-takes-his-cue-to-get-lost-230358424.html

Why would he care what those 3 have to offer?

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 07:52 PM
In his defense, he was the first to break the news of the Miami big 3 coming together.

After getting it wrong 3x in the week leading up to it. He was guaranteeing LeBron to NY like the night before. SAS threw every ounce of **** he had left in his bowels at the wall that week just so he could take credit for the one that stuck.

SAS got blindsided by this whole PJax thing and is butt hurt. He was the sole guy pushing the "Melo is already gone" narrative and 2 days later we get PJax, Melo starts speaking all giddy, talking about the future and now SAS looks stupid. Its clear to me the Knicks leaked this to former player Greg Anthony to spite all the media heads they despise (Woj, SAS and the rest of the rat pack). In 2 weeks SAS will claim his sources tell him Melo had one foot out the door until PJax came like its breaking news and take credit for it.

Melo is not leaving. Not the way Jax was talking about him, and not the way he was talking about Jax.

SouthSideRookie
03-18-2014, 07:54 PM

Well in terms of giving him a legitimate shot at a title. What the article is stating is that Carmelo will explore all his options. Houston and Chicago IMO give him the most realistic chance at a title, in the near future.

waveycrockett
03-18-2014, 07:55 PM
Phil should be able to get the Knicks in the right direction but not soon enough for Melo. And if he hires Steve Kerr has HC. It will make the Melo situation worse. Kerr has not been shy about his disdain for Melo's style of play. Best thing that could happen to Knicks is lose Melo and win LeBron.

abe_froman
03-18-2014, 07:57 PM
actually he was saying lebron to ny was a done deal for months...years even,he only called the heat at the last min after it was being leaked to every major nba reporter

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 08:00 PM

Oh look its Woj, the other guy who was spewing bad info during this whole process coming out the woodwork to say Melo is leaving.

I don't think anyone is denying he is gonna survey the field, as he damn well should.

SAS and Woj pride themselves on breaking info and their sources more than anyone else in the business. Spitting out bad information puts a blemish on their resume. SAS was literally crying like a child on the radio today and wouldn't even let Steve Mills come on air.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 08:01 PM
actually he was saying lebron to ny was a done deal for months...years even,he only called the heat at the last min after it was being leaked to every major nba reporter

Thats how I remember it.

abe_froman
03-18-2014, 08:02 PM
to get a feel what each has to offer before making a decision...at the very least its a nice meal and hearing 3 people pump up your ego

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 08:08 PM
he was saying this ,before the Phil story even came up, on First take all the time.

Which is exactly why he is butt hurt. Because he got blindsided by this, he had no idea Knicks have been talking to Phil since December and assumed we were going to ride off into the sunset dead in the water after an embarassment of a season with no end in sight and nothing but Steve Mills to save the day. 3 days later the buzz around Knicks land is nothing but positivity and hope towards the future, with guys like MJ and everyone else in the NBA world singing praise towards the Knicks. Melo has since been talking like he is going to be working with Phil for a long time, Phil says he wants Melo, Dolan guarantees Melo is back, he ain't going anywhere and the narrative SAS has been guaranteeing for months now looks stupid, and he looks like is "is not in the know" with his hometown team for pushing it in the first place.

Its called desperation and ego. He has no other choice but to continue to push his narrative baby and come up with something between now and this summer to lend his original story some credibility when Melo re-signs. Something along the lines of "My sources tell ME that CARMELO ANTHONY had BOTH feet out the door RIGHT UP UNTIL THE VERY MOMENTT he sat down with Phil Jackson and let the Zen Master lay out the plan. MY SOURCES TELL ME, once that happened, Melo was locked into the Knicks. YOU HEARD IT HEAR FIRST."

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 08:11 PM
to get a feel what each has to offer before making a decision...at the very least its a nice meal and hearing 3 people pump up your ego

You only get to do this **** 2-3x in your prime career. You never know what your gonna hear, and its stupid to shut doors on any potential opportunities earlier than you have to in any walk of life.

JeffG20
03-18-2014, 08:13 PM
of course he has an ego, they all do. Everyone in the business also gets things wrong from time to time as well. No one in that business has it 100%. But that other guy was pretending he started this after the Phil story which is not true. He was on this months before that came up. No one can say with 100% certainty that he's staying or going. No one is right at this very moment

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 08:13 PM
We've been waiting to see what Phil was going to do for about 2 years, I am sure these guys have been digging and digging trying to get the first dibs on the story - thats their job and both of them consider themselves the cream of the crop (which they are obviously). Greg ****ing Anthony getting the leak is a huge slap in the face towards two guys with a lot of pride in their profession. They are acting like little girls about it.

FYL_McVeezy
03-18-2014, 08:14 PM
He said on the radio today that if FA started today he would be gone.

He then went on to say now that Phil is a part of the Knicks organization he'd be willing to listen to what the KNicks have to say.

The perfect way out from his "Melo's a goner" stance a couple of days ago....

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Not only did a guy like Greg Anthony get the leak, the week leading up to it these two were obviously getting sent bad information (probably purposely) because they were the only two pushing "Phil not nearly as close as others are saying", "Phils camp says its nowhere near a done deal" etc...

I'm happy these guys got played, the Knicks hate the media, they would do petty **** like that.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 08:18 PM
The perfect way out from his "Melo's a goner" stance a couple of days ago....

I guarantee you he waits a few weeks, maybe til the offseason, than breaks the story that Phil was able to "change Melo's mind" in a sit-down. Book it.

jeter 2
03-18-2014, 08:25 PM
Does Melo want to be the guy that leaves Phil Jackson? What if he leaves to chase a championship and the Knicks eventually rebuild and win a championship without him?

It's easy for him to leave New York when Steve Mills is running the show. But Phil Jackson? That takes guts.

beyourself
03-18-2014, 08:25 PM
He could be right though. He's in the inner circles of all NBA royalty..........

But if you are a role player in the best league in the world then you're a scrub and he don't deal with scrubs.

This guy, SAS.

bobb
03-18-2014, 08:31 PM
SAS is like bad diarrhea , he loves attention and likes to hear himself speak. Assclown

waveycrockett
03-18-2014, 08:48 PM
Does Melo want to be the guy that leaves Phil Jackson? What if he leaves to chase a championship and the Knicks eventually rebuild and win a championship without him?

It's easy for him to leave New York when Steve Mills is running the show. But Phil Jackson? That takes guts.
Nobody would question him leaving Phil and that crap roster to play with Harden and Dwight or Noah, Rose and Thibs. Clearly winning NOW would be the priority for him if he did that. Knicks cant even entertain the thought of a championship for another 3-4 years wasting his prime.

ohreally
03-18-2014, 08:56 PM

If Melo wants to win a chip or two, and he's going to have to for his "legacy," he doesn't have much time to waste. Three years to get to a point where the Knicks might be in the contender neighborhood doesn't give him much time to get to the top of that mountain.

Unless Melo really cares more for being the guy all genuflect to in a major market, he really, really, really needs to jump into a better team core sooner rather than later. Phil or no Phil.

moshy2
03-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Stephen A is a shock reporter and a very emotional fan. Him saying this isn't surprising

BklynKnicks3
03-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Sas is down with caa his agent is Henry Thomas of caa it's Stephen caa smith is mad jackson will get rid of cba

NYKNYGNYY
03-18-2014, 09:31 PM
There's 3 melo threads in the top 10 forum... Can we just make a ****ing melo anything thread

Ezio
03-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Well in terms of giving him a legitimate shot at a title. What the article is stating is that Carmelo will explore all his options. Houston and Chicago IMO give him the most realistic chance at a title, in the near future.

Does it really matter, they're on his short list for a reason.
Chicago - Come play with Rose and Noah
Houston - Come play with Harden and Howard
Phil - We have picks and money to build around you

Queen of the ball, gotcha.

naps
03-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Unlike many here, I believe SAS. After Woj, he's one reporter I take seriously more often than not.

waveycrockett
03-18-2014, 10:00 PM
People are confusing SAS the ESPN entertainer with the SAS the reporter. This dude does not float hot air.This guy broke the big 3 to Miami about a good 2 months before anybody else.

lakers squad
03-18-2014, 11:14 PM

sorry to say this but ive thought he was headed to the bulls ever since the season started,,,, if I was to guess were he ends up it would be as follows, 1-bulls instant championship contenders, and 1 small trade. + amnesty Boozer and they have the capapace 2-knicks because they can pay him the most regardless 3-Rocketts because they apparently they r going allout to get him, and would be enstant championship comtenders 4-lakers, but I don't think the lakers r truly interested in him, but I think these two sides could get serious with each other and with that said you just never know, but in the end I think he's a bull when its all said and done!!!

Crackadalic
03-18-2014, 11:36 PM
People are confusing SAS the ESPN entertainer with the SAS the reporter. This dude does not float hot air.This guy broke the big 3 to Miami about a good 2 months before anybody else.

That's because the. CAA (creative artist agency) fed him info on it. SAS pretty much sold his soul to these guys.

Why you think he never has anything bad to say about melo or lebron(not represented by them anymore) and how Lin was run out of town

The fact is Phil Jackson is running them out of msg and that leaves a lot of reporters ties to them a little hurt during this whole process and I couldn't be happier

P&GRealist
03-18-2014, 11:39 PM
There's 3 melo threads in the top 10 forum... Can we just make a ****ing melo anything thread

Want more LeBron threads?

Quit your complaining.

Kashmir13579
03-19-2014, 12:31 AM

All he does is get people riled up. Thats why he has his job.

waveycrockett
03-19-2014, 12:40 AM
That's because the. CAA (creative artist agency) fed him info on it. SAS pretty much sold his soul to these guys.

Why you think he never has anything bad to say about melo or lebron(not represented by them anymore) and how Lin was run out of town

The fact is Phil Jackson is running them out of msg and that leaves a lot of reporters ties to them a little hurt during this whole process and I couldn't be happier

I agree 100% about the CAA. He also was the one who broke the "toast" between Melo/Amare/CP3 which never happened but turned out to be true. Which is why I dont doubt him that Melo is out the door.

TorontoHuskies
03-19-2014, 01:00 AM
I'm wondering if Phil Jackson was the right move for NY. Aren't Kobe and Melo like best friends and didn't Kobe force Jackson out of LA? I'm thinking if Kobe dislikes him there's a good chance Melo doesn't either.

JasonJohnHorn
03-19-2014, 06:18 AM
How is this news? I think it was pretty clear already after NY failed to make any moves to improve during the offseason AND by the deadline that Melo was going, and that likely it is going to be a mutual separation.

Has anybody for the last month thought Melo would be playing in NY next season? This isn't exactly a revelation.

xxcubs22xx
03-19-2014, 07:19 AM
What kind of S&T could Houston possibly work out with them?

mike_noodles
03-19-2014, 08:50 AM

This.

Kinkotheclown
03-19-2014, 08:59 AM

I agree.

I feel like the CAA has way too much power over Dolan and the knicks. Phil will hopefully not be beholden to them in the same way and be able to break their hold.

FYL_McVeezy
03-19-2014, 09:16 AM

Thank you for spreading the knowledge to the masses...

Me and you know as much as SAS about what Melo plans to do in the offseason....

Goose17
03-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Me and you know as much as SAS about what Melo plans to do in the offseason....

How do you know what SAS does and doesn't know?

Looks to me like Knicks fans are just getting defensive and are in flat out denial.

SAS is a very solid reporter, I like him, every rumour should be taken as just a rumour, but some people have more credible opinions than others and in my mind, he's one of them. He won't be right all of the time, but he doesn't just make **** up.

Chill_Will_24
03-19-2014, 09:56 AM
He been saying this for a while now even on his radio show. I heard him saying Melo is gone as far as months ago.

He has connections too. He cannot be simply dismissed

3RDASYSTEM
03-19-2014, 10:02 AM

This is the exact same thing I say when you mention that PER/WS/TS and whatever scientific man made crap HOLLINGER and company have formed to thinking it ranks a player(s)

at least SAS broke a few stories early that we all seemed crazy, of course he is not right everytime its just his opinion or like they put it, inside sources with no names
but he has to keep some level of cred, just like when he covered IVERSON for yrs and then broke those gambling/drinking stories about him on ESPN which skyrocketed back into ESPN spotlight, imagine that

why would you listen to HOLLINGER/ESPN on per/ws then? to each his own like they say

Goose17
03-19-2014, 10:14 AM
why would you listen to HOLLINGER/ESPN on per/ws then? to each his own like they say

I like SAS. But you can't compare him to Hollinger, what Hollinger is doing is science, it's math based on fact. What SAS does it check if rumours have any sort of credibility and then report them, either way.

JOSKOMANG4
03-19-2014, 10:18 AM

i agree! The knicks could also try and get the Rockets to take one of their ******* contracts!

- Melo & felton to Rockets for Lin, Asik, Parsons, & 2015 1st rd pick!

knicks lineup:

C- Chandler PF-Asik SF- Parsons SG-JR PG-Lin

Key bench: Amare, Bargs, Shump, Hardaway JR, Prigs.

Rockets Lineup:

C- Howard PF-T.Jones SF- Melo SG-Harden PG- Beverly.

xxplayerxx23
03-19-2014, 10:19 AM
So let me get this straight? Melo can't sign outright to the rockets? Bulls I see as a realistic option but rockets? Why in the hell would the Knicks talk a sign and trade when they don't even have 12 million to offer melo lol. Why would we take asik and Lin for melo? It's stupid. It's bulls or Knicks simple as that

BklynKnicks3
03-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Stephen CAA smith is actually represented by CAA his agent is Henry Thomas, CAA i slosing pull with the Knicks SAS not happy although he is a Knick fan he is torn

D-Leethal
03-19-2014, 10:41 AM
So let me get this straight? Melo can't sign outright to the rockets? Bulls I see as a realistic option but rockets? Why in the hell would the Knicks talk a sign and trade when they don't even have 12 million to offer melo lol. Why would we take asik and Lin for melo? It's stupid. It's bulls or Knicks simple as that

If Knicks are out of the equation and its either Rockets or Bulls and Rockets are his top choice - of course they would S & T him instead of letting him walk to destination B in Chicago for nothing. I don't think anyone around the Knicks or in NY is even remotely worried about him leaving at this point.

bobb
03-19-2014, 10:58 AM
If Knicks are out of the equation and its either Rockets or Bulls and Rockets are his top choice - of course they would S & T him instead of letting him walk to destination B in Chicago for nothing. I don't think anyone around the Knicks or in NY is even remotely worried about him leaving at this point.

Exactly correct. Bye Melo!! 2015 the Knicks will be just fine:towel-wave:

torocan
03-19-2014, 11:06 AM

Aside from Asik and Lin (which would need to be the centerpiece in terms of salary, Houston has multiple younger players they can include in the trade (Parsons, Tjones, Greg Smith, Canaan, Covington, Troy Daniels) and a TON of picks they can include.

Multiple first rounders and 2nd rounders in 2014 and 2015, and all their own 1st and 2nd round picks for every year going forward.

Houston is one of the most "pick rich" teams in the NBA. They have NINE 2nd round picks in 2015 alone.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Rockets.htm

Even if the Knicks don't want Asik or Lin long term, they can walk out with multiple young players and a TON of picks depending on the negotiated deal. And Asik and Lin's deals expire at the end of 2015, which gives them the option of renegotiating if they want to retain them, or letting them walk and freeing the entirety of their cap hit ($16.7M for both of them combined).

Houston is the best S&T partner by far. Bulls is the best walk on situation as it's far easier for them to clear cap space to sign outright (Houston would have to pull off some serious moves to clear room to sign Melo in free agency).

djohn2oo8
03-19-2014, 11:10 AM
If Houston trades Lin and Asik in separate deals, then they have no incentive to do a SnT

mRc08
03-19-2014, 11:10 AM
Depending on how badly the bulls F.O. wants melo, they have a lot of picks and players to offer as well. Not saying they will offer up all the picks they acquired, but if they wanted to they could make a nice trade offer. Just sayin.

torocan
03-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Depending on how badly the bulls F.O. wants melo, they have a lot of picks and players to offer as well. Not saying they will offer up all the picks they acquired, but if they wanted to they could make a nice trade offer. Just sayin.

The Bulls have some picks, but saying they have a "lot" of picks is like comparing the guy in the suburbs with the guy living in Beverley Hills.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Bulls.htm

There's no comparison. Seriously... the Rockets have as many 2nd round picks in 2015 as the Bulls have 2nd round picks in every year through 2019 COMBINED.

mRc08
03-19-2014, 11:29 AM
True True, I'm just saying we can send out a decent offer if trade is the only route and gar/pax is willing to do it. I'm not sure how valuable these second round picks really are in these scenarios from either team.

CHI_Fan412
03-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Stephen A and Carmelo have been dear friends for many, many, years.

PT1083
03-19-2014, 11:31 AM
But SAS has sources

True...but maybe they just told him that so he could shut his loud *** up? :p

bobb
03-19-2014, 11:33 AM
I'm wondering if Phil Jackson was the right move for NY. Aren't Kobe and Melo like best friends and didn't Kobe force Jackson out of LA? I'm thinking if Kobe dislikes him there's a good chance Melo doesn't either.

:confused:didn't Kobe and Magic plead for the Lakers to sign Phil as soon as they knew NYK's were involved ? :confused:

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/03/13/Lakers-Are-the-New-Clippers

torocan
03-19-2014, 11:37 AM
True True, I'm just saying we can send out a decent offer if trade is the only route and gar/pax is willing to do it. I'm not sure how valuable these second round picks really are in these scenarios from either team.

Personally I think 2nd round picks are now more highly valued than late 1st round picks. This is because the drop off in talent is minor but you don't get locked into a long rookie contract and the salaries are lower. Early 1st rounders are still higher value, but the drop off from top 5 pick to picks 15-30 is almost the same as just picking up an early 2nd rounder, but with less financial risk and more contract flexibility.

Let's not forget that 2nd round picks being smaller in value than 1st rounders, having multiple 2nd rounders gives the receiving team much more flexibility in constructing future trades (kind of like having a bunch of $10 bills instead of a $50 bill... the $50 bill is worth the same, but not every store will accept it).

Clearly the Knicks would prefer early 1st rounders, however toss in enough 2nd rounders and you start building some very attractive trade packages.

Vinylman
03-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Personally I think 2nd round picks are now more highly valued than late 1st round picks. This is because the drop off in talent is minor but you don't get locked into a long rookie contract and the salaries are lower. Early 1st rounders are still higher value, but the drop off from top 5 pick to picks 15-30 is almost the same as just picking up an early 2nd rounder, but with less financial risk and more contract flexibility.

Let's not forget that 2nd round picks being smaller in value than 1st rounders, having multiple 2nd rounders gives the receiving team much more flexibility in constructing future trades (kind of like having a bunch of $10 bills instead of a $50 bill... the $50 bill is worth the same, but not every store will accept it).

Clearly the Knicks would prefer early 1st rounders, however toss in enough 2nd rounders and you start building some very attractive trade packages.

Houston fans are so delusional...

don't get dizzy from all the spinning

Chicago is cleary a better trade partner because they have charlottes pick and mirotic and there own picks will be better than Houston because of their record

A Houston first rounder after a trade for melo would almost be 26 or later every year... that wouldn't be the case with chicago

Chronz
03-19-2014, 01:01 PM

I dont think Phil would rather lose Melo for nothing. If Melo is leaving to the Bulls, which he can, you get nothing. If you trade him to the Rockets, its a sign of good will that lingers with agents and their clients and you get a bonafide defensive anchor and decent PG in contract years. I think Phil would rather get something out of this, if Anthony is indeed leaving.

torocan
03-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Houston fans are so delusional...

don't get dizzy from all the spinning

Chicago is cleary a better trade partner because they have charlottes pick and mirotic and there own picks will be better than Houston because of their record

A Houston first rounder after a trade for melo would almost be 26 or later every year... that wouldn't be the case with chicago

Close, but no cigar. I'm a KNICKS fan.

Houston has more 1st rounders than their own. In just 2014 they have the Mavericks 1st rounder, OKC 1st round, and Houston 1st round. They also have the Bucks, Knicks and 76ers 2nd round picks.

And while Chicago's 1st round pick will be better than Houston's this year due to record, it's still a low end 1st round pick. It's not going to be a top 10 pick, it's going to be a middling pick (15th or so). The Rockets can load in a ton of picks between 1st and 2nd rounders, and multiple young players with good timing on contract expiry.

The Bulls are in the best position to sign outright, but the Rockets have the most assets to work a trade AND they're in the West.

You're nuts if you think that the Bulls have more trade assets than the Rockets to work a deal.

Goose17
03-19-2014, 01:38 PM
Houston draft picks;

Four 2015 second round picks
Their own 2015 first round pick.
Their own 2016 first round and second round.
Their own 2017 first round and second round plus another second round.

Plus Parsons, Lin, Asik, Motiejunas, Terrence Jones etc

They have a great selection of young talent, proven veterans, filler and draft picks. They could definitely put something together... I highly doubt they do though, they probably won't want to give much up. And the Knicks will overvalue Melo.

abe_froman
03-19-2014, 01:47 PM

Houston has more 1st rounders than their own. In just 2014 they have the Mavericks 1st rounder, OKC 1st round, and Houston 1st round. They also have the Bucks, Knicks and 76ers 2nd round picks.

And while Chicago's 1st round pick will be better than Houston's this year due to record, it's still a low end 1st round pick. It's not going to be a top 10 pick, it's going to be a middling pick (15th or so). The Rockets can load in a ton of picks between 1st and 2nd rounders, and multiple young players with good timing on contract expiry.
the bulls also have more picks than their own(cats this year,future cavs and kings picks,and all their own)

not saying which is better,just pointing out that as you seem to have missed it.the bulls can def put together a competitive package,though it being a s+t i doubt ny would be getting all that much from the bulls if it were to happen

DaBUU
03-19-2014, 02:18 PM
If Melo leaves via free agency, he'll decide which teams he wants to sign with, then go back to the Knicks and give them the option of signing and trading him or just letting him walk for nothing. At that point the Knicks and whichever team he chose will work something out, but it won't be much. Maybe a pick or two and matching salaries. Not sure how this would become a bidding war, based on assets, between HOU and CHI. Trade deadline passed, so the choice is Melo's. Am I wrong, I might be.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-19-2014, 02:32 PM
If Melo leaves via free agency, he'll decide which teams he wants to sign with, then go back to the Knicks and give them the option of signing and trading him or just letting him walk for nothing. At that point the Knicks and whichever team he chose will work something out, but it won't be much. Maybe a pick or two and matching salaries. Not sure how this would become a bidding war, based on assets, between HOU and CHI. Trade deadline passed, so the choice is Melo's. Am I wrong, I might be.

You're right with that. Melo chooses where he goes, and NY can try to get something out of it from whatever team he chooses.

KnicksorBust
03-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Houston 100% has the assets to get Melo if they had to go that route. Parsons alone on his rookie deal is pretty damn enticing.

Vinylman
03-19-2014, 02:51 PM

The Bulls are in the best position to sign outright, but the Rockets have the most assets to work a trade AND they're in the West.

You're nuts if you think that the Bulls have more trade assets than the Rockets to work a deal.

they don't have Dallas's pick nor OKC's pick you are reading that table wrong

DaBUU
03-19-2014, 02:54 PM

Assets are an afterthought in this. If you'd rather have HOU assets, then hope that's where Melo wants to go, and not Chicago. There's not going to be a bidding war based on draft picks.

Vinylman
03-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Assets are an afterthought in this. If you'd rather have HOU assets, then hope that's where Melo wants to go, and not Chicago.

he is also reading that second round pick chart wrong for 2015 ... they have up to 4 other teams 2nd rounders plus their own... however, there are a lot of contingencies and some even extinquish...

Houston isn't as pick rich anymore as they were the last couple of years

FOBolous
03-19-2014, 04:59 PM
if i was the Knicks, and i know Carmelo Anthony's gone for sure, i would do a sign and trade with Houston in a heart beat vs lettimg him walk to a conference rival...a mistake OKC made....because that conference rival is going to be DANGEROUS with Carmelo Anthony.

Stunner
03-19-2014, 05:14 PM
SAS was the first to break the big three news in Miami days before

Jimmer invented Tapatalk.

abe_froman
03-19-2014, 05:19 PM

Jimmer invented Tapatalk.
thats revisionism at its finest,he was calling lebron to nyk all he way,he threw heat out here once(after his people started leaking it) just to cover his *** ...and even went back to saying it was ny

Canterbury
03-19-2014, 05:21 PM

I will never give SAS credit for this because a few days later he said that there's a chance Miami wont sign all three due to "Bosh's greed" or something like that: http://www.scoresreport.com/2010/07/03/bill-simmons-rips-stephen-a-smith/

So basically all he really said was it may or may not happen, but anyone can say that...

Jasper6
03-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Melo is going to Chicago. Guaranteed.

amos1er
03-19-2014, 05:56 PM
He would be wise to stay anywhere that Phil Jackson is. Only a fool would leave that situation. HEAR THAT JIMMY!!! :mad:

ztilzer31
03-19-2014, 06:26 PM
Melo is going to Chicago. Guaranteed.

That's where I would go if I was him.

No knock on Phil, but the Knicks are a disaster, and Phil isn't coaching. They need a lot.

DillyDill
03-19-2014, 06:52 PM
That's where I would go if I was him.

No knock on Phil, but the Knicks are a disaster, and Phil isn't coaching. They need a lot.

Houston Big 3. They could possibly dominate the the conference with that talent

uprightciti
03-19-2014, 06:53 PM
SAS is an idiot and his is just really pissed espn didnt let him cover the Phil story but also Dolan HATES SAS.

But WHY would Melo(offensive) play for Thibs (defensive) with a bum *** Rose

and there is noooooo one passing the ball in Houston with Dwight and Harden...I mean yeah if he wants to go there then lets get a massive return.

Melo WILL be a Knick again PERIOD

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-19-2014, 07:14 PM
SAS is an idiot and his is just really pissed espn didnt let him cover the Phil story but also Dolan HATES SAS.

and there is noooooo one passing the ball in Houston with Dwight and Harden...I mean yeah if he wants to go there then lets get a massive return.

But it's either Rose or JR Smith. Half a Rose is better than anything he is playing with right now. And not just Rose but Noah. And Thibs, and Butler....

It's better for an offensive player to play with a defensive coach. (AIN'T and Brown) Melo had an offensive coach, didn't work out to well.
Harden averages 6 assist a game. Only one under LeBron career average and many consider him the most selfless superstars in the league. And once again there is more talent in Houston to play with them there is in New York right now. he is about to be 30 years old. He does not have time to throw away a year and hope that something gets done the following year.

P&GRealist
03-19-2014, 07:18 PM

Kobe forced Jackson out of LA....just so Jackson could come back to LA 1 yr later? :confused:

Do you know how childish you sound?

Waaaahhhhhh, I didn't like him! If you're really my friend, then you won't like him either!

ztilzer31
03-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Houston Big 3. They could possibly dominate the the conference with that talent

Adding Carmelo to Houston is a bad idea. 2 volume shooters.

Chicago needs someone to chuck sometimes.

ztilzer31
03-19-2014, 07:48 PM

Why would Melo return to the Knicks? In hopes that Phil can make a competitive team in the next couple years while he's still in his prime?

If I was Melo I'd leave. At first I was thinking stay Knicks, but the more I think about...

Phil has never been an exec before.

Phil has normally gone to rosters already very close.

The Knicks have nothing. No depth, and lack superstar talent.

It's going to take Phil at LEAST 3 years to make this team competitive for a chip. More than likely more. Why would Carmelo want to stay?

Max.This
03-19-2014, 07:54 PM
hope melo leaves, would like for us to get in the lottery

NBA_Starter
03-19-2014, 08:03 PM
I think somebody reported Bulls and Rockets are his top choices If he left and this dude got it confused.

smiddy012
03-19-2014, 08:14 PM
Well this is a good sign as a Bulls fan, as it indicates that Melo is willing to sacrifice pay for titles, which was pretty much a prequisite with our cap situation.

ztilzer31
03-19-2014, 09:09 PM
If I'm Houston I'm waiting to make a push for Love, and passing on Melo. Just a better fit IMO.

I don't care if Thibs is defense minded. He's had use for guys like Nate Robinson, and Richard Hamilton.

Carmelo could use a defensive minded coach. Someone that calls him out when he's lazy on defense.

Just a way better fit IMO. Noah/Anthony/Rose would be just as good as any big 3 in basketball, or at least close.

ztilzer31
03-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Love/Howard/Parsons/Harden would be unfair too BTW.

Sactown
03-19-2014, 09:27 PM

Thibs is a proven winning coach and the pieces around him in Chicago best fit his skill set, if he's truly about winning that's the place to go IMO , Houston gives him an opportunity to split the scoring load and gives him legit help to win a title... New York gives him **** and a bag of chips.. if he's smart he leaves

torocan
03-20-2014, 09:37 AM
The more I think about it, the more I see it as only a few possible scenario's.

1. Melo stays. I don't think it's impossible, but I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that Melo will sacrifice 2-3 years of his prime when he's *already* 30 years old. Yes, he can get a 5th year but is he going to ask for a supermax? And how influential will Phil Jackson be in terms of re-signing given Phil has to deal with the reality of next year being a dead year with bad contracts on the books? I'm putting it at a little less than a coin flip.

2. If Melo cares at all about NY, he won't walk for *nothing*. He'll give the Knicks the opportunity the chance to get *something* back for a S&T. If the Knicks have any real input, I think they'd prefer he go to Houston. Houston has more young pieces and more variety in terms of draft picks to send back. For Melo there are numerous advantages to Houston. Warm weather, short flight to LA, no state income tax, and a young and a currently healthy roster of players. Not to mention that I doubt the Knicks want to build Chicago into an Eastern Conference contender.

3. Chicago is probably a better situation for Melo in terms of roster composition (Rose/Noah vs Harden/Dwight), *assuming* Melo believes that Rose is going to recover. Rose has been out for 2 seasons... it wouldn't be 100% shocking if Melo felt that it was too much of a risk to gamble his prime on Rose's health going forward. However, IF he has faith in Rose, I can see him forcing a move to Chicago despite the objections of the Knicks head office. If a S&T fails, then Melo can walk clean to Chicago for a cut in pay.

The more I think about it, the more I think those are the only 3 really viable options. I just can't see Melo going to LA to play with Kobe after his 2nd bout with injury and his latest contract.

NYK - 40%
Houston - 30%
Bulls - 25%
Other - 5%

That's how I'm thinking this is going to play out. I still think his 1st choice is the Knicks, but it's pretty far from a slam dunk.

nycericanguy
03-20-2014, 09:41 AM
But it's either Rose or JR Smith. Half a Rose is better than anything he is playing with right now. And not just Rose but Noah. And Thibs, and Butler....

It's better for an offensive player to play with a defensive coach. (AIN'T and Brown) Melo had an offensive coach, didn't work out to well.
Harden averages 6 assist a game. Only one under LeBron career average and many consider him the most selfless superstars in the league. And once again there is more talent in Houston to play with them there is in New York right now. he is about to be 30 years old. He does not have time to throw away a year and hope that something gets done the following year.

maybe for next year, but after that Knicks will have tons of cap space and CHI wouldn't have any cap space if he went there. It could be Amare 2.0 all over again where Melo is on a team with a guy taking up 30% of the cap that can't play and is always injured. Noah is a hell of a role player but he's not going to help Melo score.

Captain Moroni
03-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Melo is going no where. SAS is nothing more than the loudest mouth on TV. Next.

BenFrank
03-20-2014, 11:33 AM
People saying Houston should wait on Love, there's no guarantee he would want to be here with LA calling.. if a superstar says he's interested in joining your team, u do what u can to make it happen..

nycericanguy
03-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Its good to hear that, Anthony said before the game. Its a blessing and honor to hear that. I was hoping I would be part of the future plans. I never once said I wanted to leave. The only thing I said was I wanted to dabble and try free agency out and opt out. Im excited about the opportunity to work with Phil.

Anthony was asked about Jacksons comment Tuesday that Melo has another level to go to. A dig?
I love it, Anthony said. I dont think its anything bad he said. I think Ive gotten better as a player and for him to say that, were on the same page. I feel like I can take the game on a whole new level that I havent taken to.
I could use him as a mentor to get to that next level. Im not at a stage [where] Im sold on this or that. I want to get better with that hopefully winning a championship. Im all about enhancing my game. If Phil can help that, Im all about that.

doesn't sound like a guy that's leaving.

BklynKnicks3
03-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Stephen CAA smith mad all his caa buddies getting pushe dout by knicks. Melo will end up switching agencies

GIANTKNICK
03-20-2014, 12:50 PM
I guarantee you he waits a few weeks, maybe til the offseason, than breaks the story that Phil was able to "change Melo's mind" in a sit-down. Book it.
This. He make it seem like he was right and Melo was persuaded by Phil. S.A.S is a TV personality now no need to report true stories

Badluck33
03-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Melo is so happy that Phil Jackson is going to be coaching next year that he is willing to stay.

MonroeFAN
03-20-2014, 12:59 PM
Stephen CAA smith mad all his caa buddies getting pushe dout by knicks. Melo will end up switching agencies

What?

KniCks4LiFe
03-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Melo is not switching CAA. :laugh2:

CAA is his trusted agency. All those Jordan merchandising, Melo branding and commercials, that's CAA. SAS has nothing to do w/ CAA. According to reports CAA doesn't like SAS. He's even criticized CAA. :laugh2:

Whether he leaves or NOT [b/c that is a possibility] Phil Jackson makes this a non issue. If Melo walks, Phil will trade him for assets. One thing I DON'T see Phil doing is telling Knicks management we're paying Carmelo Anthony $12 million more dollars than the best players in the NBA. [Bron' and KD] Essentially 45% of our cap to keep him in a situation that's going to take 2-3 years to rebuild.

smiddy012
03-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Melo isn't a straight-shooter, the way he talks, and his body language, often contradict each other. To me, his weakest characteristic is his lack of leadership skills, so on one hand, he could very well follow Phil, but on the other, you can't put too much stock into what he says. Can't remember the last time I heard Melo sound sincere and/or confident, so he's one of the last people in the league I'd take at their word.

And fwiw, I don't really care where Melo goes. Just my 2 cents.