PDA

View Full Version : Could Phil possibly screw Jimbo and the Lakers by prying away Kevin Love next summer?

P&GRealist
03-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Amare comes off the books, it's the worst kept secret that the Lakers want Love. Could Phil screw his former team by prying away KLove and telling Jim Buss a giant FU?!

KLove + Melo would be beautiful.

Phenomenonsense
03-18-2014, 02:06 PM
As I recall, Melo had his best numbers in the past few years while playing PF. Why bring in two?

dalton749
03-18-2014, 02:10 PM
and the worst defensive team in the league is.....the knicks
those 2 wouldnt win anything together

P&GRealist
03-18-2014, 02:11 PM
As I recall, Melo had his best numbers in the past few years while playing PF. Why bring in two?

Melo in the past few yrs wasn't playing the triangle.

Melo will be the primary perimeter scorer. While Kobe and MJ were at the 2, Melo will be playing his natural position of the 3.

The great thing about the triangle is that it puts every player in their natural position.

None of that stretch 4, 1 in and 4 out small ball crap that the league is moving to because it looks so great for analytics.

P&GRealist
03-18-2014, 02:12 PM
and the worst defensive team in the league is.....the knicks
those 2 wouldnt win anything together

Heard of team defense ??

Stunner
03-18-2014, 02:15 PM
Melo and love are a terrible fit

Jimmer invented Tapatalk.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 02:15 PM
I'd prefer Marc Gasol and I think Phil would too.

shep33
03-18-2014, 02:28 PM
If Melo isn't there fine, but what's the point if he is? Basically play the same position

Tysons_Beard
03-18-2014, 02:41 PM
melo and k love play the same position it would not work

abe_froman
03-18-2014, 02:41 PM
i dont think you can call it screwing over as love isnt a laker and there's no indication that he even wants to be ,so dont see how phil's pursuit of him(if it were to happen) would have anything to do with jim

Hulk6
03-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Melo in the past few yrs wasn't playing the triangle.

Melo will be the primary perimeter scorer. While Kobe and MJ were at the 2, Melo will be playing his natural position of the 3.

The great thing about the triangle is that it puts every player in their natural position.

None of that stretch 4, 1 in and 4 out small ball crap that the league is moving to because it looks so great for analytics.

Did Phil say they would be implementing the triangle? Hes in the FO, dont think he will be dictating the team gameplan

ManRam
03-18-2014, 02:44 PM
It would be such a bummer if the Knicks disrupted the Lakers' destiny here and did sign him. Because, after all, Love to LA is a matter of destiny.

But really, as others have said, Melo's best off as a PF. I don't think it's a good fit at all.

mjm07
03-18-2014, 02:52 PM
First LBJ now Love? Knicks are back!!

SteveZissou
03-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Did Phil say they would be implementing the triangle? Hes in the FO, dont think he will be dictating the team gameplan

Exactly. Unless he brings in Brian shaw?

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 03:21 PM
Exactly. Unless he brings in Brian shaw?

if he brings in Rambis, I can assure you Love will want nothing to do with the Knicks.

NYKNYGNYY
03-18-2014, 03:32 PM
I forgot since lakers fans called dibs on love that they automatically get him ... How would it be screwing them over n he wouldn't mesh

king4day
03-18-2014, 03:35 PM
He's going to have a lot of options by then. Including Phoenix and any team that winds up with Wiggins or Parker.
Looking at the roster, Orlando wouldn't be the worst landing spot assuming they need a PF.

Da Knicks
03-18-2014, 03:44 PM

My thoughts exactly, love doesn't play any defense anyways so I could careless where he goes.

xxplayerxx23
03-18-2014, 03:48 PM

He's played well at SF too this year

WSU Tony
03-18-2014, 04:04 PM
I love how the talk is as if Love wants to play for both cities. And as if he's a commodity available....

nycericanguy
03-18-2014, 04:08 PM
The idea that Melo has "thrived" at the 4 is overblown... he's had great season's before, and arguably better ones at SF. The bigger difference is that he has started shooting the 3 ball much more, and at a much better clip since coming to NY, something Karl didn't want him doing in DEN. Melo has quietly become one of the best 3pt shooters in the league...

And FWIW, he's gone back to SF the last 6 games and NY is 6-0 and Melo is still putting up insane numbers.

If anything I'd argue that playing the 4 has banged him up more the past 2-3 years... even LBJ who is built like a tank said he doesn't like playing the 4 full time due to the banging he takes.

As for Melo/Love... I don't know, as long as you compliment those guys with defenders and role players, there's no reason a good coach couldn't make it work.

Heediot
03-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Where's the defense (him and Melo) if this happens?

lol, please
03-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Amare comes off the books, it's the worst kept secret that the Lakers want Love. Could Phil screw his former team by prying away KLove and telling Jim Buss a giant FU?!

Love isn't the Lakers player to lose, so no. Reaching.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-18-2014, 04:33 PM
He's going to have a lot of options by then. Including Phoenix and any team that winds up with Wiggins or Parker.
Looking at the roster, Orlando wouldn't be the worst landing spot assuming they need a PF.

I think Philly would be a good one with the room to sign him.

Could possibly join MCW, Wiggins or Parker, Noel, and whoever they get with Pelicans pick, such as Harris, Lavine, Hood, McDermott, Ennis, Exum, etc.. If they can move Young's contract by summer of 2015, they could sign Love and another max player.

yungincome
03-18-2014, 04:47 PM
I want no parts of Love if Melo is here.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 04:50 PM

his serious gf lives in LA/NY as an actress, so if he leaves Minnesota, I would say there is a 90% chance its LA, 10% chance its NY.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 04:51 PM
I love how the talk is as if Love wants to play for both cities. And as if he's a commodity available....

do you really think he is going to stay with us if we don't start winning some ****ing games?

FYL_McVeezy
03-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Melo "thriving" at the 4 is an overblown statement by the resident know it all trolls who dwell in the NBA forum. Yall don't even watch the knicks so what would yall know lol

Phil stated at the press conference that the Knicks will be moving to more "system oriented" basketball. This does not mean the triangle entirely but Phil will be "hands on" when it cones to team philosophy.

Who knows if Love is NY bound. .....but if he is the Knicks will not have 2 PF's. Love plays the 4 and Melo goes back to his original position on the wing, a place where he's thrived for the duration of his career so just stop it!!!!

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Melo "thriving" at the 4 is an overblown statement by the resident know it all trolls who dwell in the NBA forum. Yall don't even watch the knicks so what would yall know lol

Phil stated at the press conference that the Knicks will be moving to more "system oriented" basketball. This does not mean the triangle entirely but Phil will be "hands on" when it cones to team philosophy.

Who knows if Love is NY bound. .....but if he is the Knicks will not have 2 PF's. Love plays the 4 and Melo goes back to his original position on the wing, a place where he's thrived for the duration of his career so just stop it!!!!

Last year, he was primarily a 4, this year, he plays it more than the 3. And he is having his two best individual years of his career.

Not that moving him back to the 3 would hurt, depending on the system implemented, but you can't deny he has played his best ball while being labeled a 4.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 05:24 PM
I think in today's NBA landscape, Melo is best suited as a 4, mostly for defensive purposes. I'd prefer him to bang and board than chase 3 point shooters and ball handlers around the perimeter.

NBA_Starter
03-18-2014, 05:43 PM
I guess anything is possible but I think Love's ties to LA run to deep.

Cromedome
03-18-2014, 05:52 PM
I don't like the way Love plays defense.

Cracka2HI!
03-18-2014, 06:11 PM
I don't get the thread title? How would Phil going after a top free agent have anything to do with Lakers? I know the Lakers are a proud franchise but NBA teams don't really make desicioins to screw the Lakers. Especially not these days. If Jackson goes after Love it will be to improve the Knicks.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 06:12 PM
I don't like the way Love plays defense.

neither do I, but I love the way he shoots, scores, rebounds, and passes.

abe_froman
03-18-2014, 06:18 PM
I don't get the thread title? How would Phil going after a top free agent have anything to do with Lakers? I know the Lakers are a proud franchise but NBA teams don't really make desicioins to screw the Lakers. Especially not these days. If Jackson goes after Love it will be to improve the Knicks.
i think op still feels abit of the old laker fan privilege.they get dibs on players they want,in this case kevin love

AddiX
03-18-2014, 06:35 PM
I'll quit being a Knicks fan with we invest our future in white Derrick Coleman.

Jasper6
03-18-2014, 06:43 PM
You know Phil is not forgetting what they did to him last season by hiring D'Antoni. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes Love away from the Lakers.

mdm692
03-18-2014, 07:13 PM

PG. Lebron
SG. Shump
SF. Melo
PF. ??
C. Gasol

I don't think that would be right for the league though lol.

slashsnake
03-18-2014, 07:23 PM
You know Phil is not forgetting what they did to him last season by hiring D'Antoni. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes Love away from the Lakers.

I don't think that hiring really has anything to do with it though. I don't think he would try to give Love a max deal if he didn't think he was worth it, and if he felt he was the piece he wanted, he would go after Love no matter what.

Trueblue2
03-18-2014, 07:44 PM

Says the person with cp3 on his team because the league did exactly that.

ohreally
03-18-2014, 08:47 PM
So who plays D and who gives up being the man? I don't see this working at all.

Gasol seems more a Phil type of player, but I get the sense Marc is comfortable in Memphis and after seeing what his brother has gone through in LA it's just another reason to avoid a major media market.

Seems to me Phil is going to ave to focus on lower hanging fruit at the outset, and other than luring LeBron, 2015 doesn't seem like a FA market that's going to put this team anywhere near where they hope to be anyway.

But did anyone get the sense from Phil's comments that he's sounding like a off the court coach? Other than his acolytes I can't see that many coaches would want to get themselves into that situation. And I'm not even sure about his acolytes.

dalton749
03-18-2014, 08:56 PM
laker entitlement lol

sunsfan88
03-18-2014, 10:28 PM

Yes.

Cracka2HI!
03-19-2014, 12:17 AM
Says the person with cp3 on his team because the league did exactly that.

I see why you look at it that way but do you really blame the league's owners? The league's owners rejected the trade because they also owned the Hornets at the time. They would have paid the contracts New Orleans got in that awful trade. David Stern or the NBA did not veto that trade. The New Orleans Hornets owner, which was the rest of the league's owners, Veto'd that trade. I'm not even putting down the Lakers. I'm just saying Phil Jackson going after Kevin Love would have nothing to do with him trying to screw over the Lakers. He is an employee of the New York Knicks now and it's his job to make them better. He is being paid very handsomely to do so.

soundjunkies2
03-19-2014, 12:33 AM
I see why you look at it that way but do you really blame the league's owners? The league's owners rejected the trade because they also owned the Hornets at the time. They would have paid the contracts New Orleans got in that awful trade. David Stern or the NBA did not veto that trade. The New Orleans Hornets owner, which was the rest of the league's owners, Veto'd that trade. I'm not even putting down the Lakers. I'm just saying Phil Jackson going after Kevin Love would have nothing to do with him trying to screw over the Lakers. He is an employee of the New York Knicks now and it's his job to make them better. He is being paid very handsomely to do so.

It's true every owner owned a part of the team but Stern was the de-facto owner. Since there was no system to vote he made all the decision. Nonetheless, it work out well for the Pelicans with Ant Davis. The Lakers on the other hand are still recovering.

Chairman Mao
03-19-2014, 12:36 AM
Love would have to play a Rodman/Horace Grant role, they'd still need a secondary playmaker.

TrueFan420
03-19-2014, 03:17 AM

Your making a big assumption that Klove was a lock to go to LA before Phil landed in NY. Just cause LA wants Klove doesn't mean he was headed there.

amos1er
03-19-2014, 06:07 AM
Jim screwed himself.

PhillyFaninLA
03-19-2014, 08:11 AM
I'd be more considered about Riley going for Love then Buss.

mike_noodles
03-19-2014, 08:56 AM
I don't understand how it's screwing the Lakers. He'll be a UFA. It's not like they'd be stealing a player under contract.

HouRealCoach
03-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Melo + Love with Phil Jackson running the show would be something special

HouRealCoach
03-19-2014, 09:15 AM
Love would have to play a Rodman/Horace Grant role, they'd still need a secondary playmaker.

We are talking about KEVIN Love

FYL_McVeezy
03-19-2014, 09:21 AM
PG. Lebron
SG. Shump
SF. Melo
PF. ??
C. Gasol

I don't think that would be right for the league though lol.

Hypothetically speaking I would like this lineup a lil more if we install the triangle (After Shump goes to a handles camp or some ****)

PG Shump
SG THJR
SF LBJ
PF Melo
C Gasol

LBJ is not leaving Miami but Gasol is someone the Knicks should target in 2015

MonroeFAN
03-19-2014, 09:33 AM
Are Laker's fans really this arrogant? Kevin Love plays for the timberwolves, he's never had any affiliation with the Lakers, and Phil Jackson had as many good years in Chicago as he did in LA. Is he going to screw Chicago?

torocan
03-19-2014, 11:31 AM
The NBA is a competitive enterprise. It's *every* team's responsibility to field the best organization they can, and it's Phil's responsibility to build the best team possible.

IF Phil picks up free agents that are in the Lakers' sights, is it Phil's fault that he's doing his job well? Or is it the Lakers' fault for letting one of the most accomplished human beings in Basketball history go to a competitor?

The better question is how many times in the future will the Lakers be reminded that they may have screwed themselves?

richiesaurus310
03-19-2014, 08:54 PM
I still think Love is more likely to go to the Clippers than the Lakers, but I don't think he's coming to LA in 2015.

Deandre Jordan comes off the books, and all the Clippers would have to do is trade 2 expirings (Matt Barnes, Jamal Crawford, or Jared Dudley) or one of those three plus JJ Redick (2 years left at that point) and they could sign Love to play alongside CP3 and Blake Griffin.

NBA_Starter
03-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Melo + Love with Phil Jackson running the show would be something special

It definitely gives Love something to think about.