PDA

View Full Version : Watching Nuggets-Clippers game

TheMightyHumph
03-18-2014, 12:00 AM
And they are comparing the abuse that Griffin takes to what Wilt took (and I am stating that no one remembers the abuse Alcindor took, and he wasn't built like Wilt).

I find it pretty ridiculous.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 01:04 AM
ok....

Shaq took more abuse than either of them combined btw...

Chronz
03-18-2014, 02:20 AM
ok....

Doubt it. Wilt got punched in the face, causing an infection that contributed to his death, no foul was called on the play. Wilt would go on to threaten retirement thanks to the beatings he took.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 02:23 AM
Doubt it. Wilt got punched in the face, causing an infection that contributed to his death, no foul was called on the play. Wilt would go on to threaten retirement thanks to the beatings he took.

so you will take a few instances of punishment to Wilt, to the absolute destruction every coach tried to put on Shaq?

No doubt the major shots of the old days haven't been seen in years. But Shaq left LSU because he feared for his safety for crying out loud.

Chronz
03-18-2014, 02:26 AM
so you will take a few instances of punishment to Wilt, to the absolute destruction every coach tried to put on Shaq?

No doubt the major shots of the old days haven't been seen in years. But Shaq left LSU because he feared for his safety for crying out loud.

Doubt they were few instances, teams had certifiable goons from military backgrounds back then, talking about an era where players didn't want to dunk (showboat) for fear of retaliation.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 02:35 AM
Doubt they were few instances, teams had certifiable goons from military backgrounds back then, talking about an era where players didn't want to dunk (showboat) for fear of retaliation.

perhaps. Also talking about an era where the athletes didn't match modern basketball per say.

But sure. Our toughest generation is dying or dead now. That is pretty much a non-argument.

TheMightyHumph
03-18-2014, 02:49 AM
ok....

Hawkeye, is that a joke?

TheMightyHumph
03-18-2014, 02:53 AM

A few instances on a player that had a 50-25 season? Again, Hawkeye, you have diminished what I thought was your knowledge of the game.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 03:04 AM
A few instances on a player that had a 50-25 season? Again, Hawkeye, you have diminished what I thought was your knowledge of the game.

I am so disappointed to hear that...

Like I said, by the generation, we have become bigger vaginas. I am sure your example probably holds weight, I am just saying Shaq got his *** hammered left and right, starting at age 18.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 03:06 AM
btw, getting hit in the face isn't painful, versus getting slammed on parts of your body. Being hit in the face really doesn't hurt at all unless its a person who really knows how to punch..

TheMightyHumph
03-18-2014, 03:13 AM
btw, getting hit in the face isn't painful, versus getting slammed on parts of your body. Being hit in the face really doesn't hurt at all unless its a person who really knows how to punch..

You are not helping your case. And I am now enjoying it.

shep33
03-18-2014, 03:34 AM
Agree with Hawkeye, I have never seen anyone take a beating like Shaq. I haven't seen much ball when Wilt played and I'm sure he got abused, but during Shaqs time, guys that were twice as strong as dudes in the 50s, 60s and 70s were absolutely hammering Shaq multiple times a game. I remember when dudes would throw all their weight on Shaq's shoulder while jumping and making no play on the ball. If you fouled anyone else that way today, it would be a flagrant at least

numba1CHANGsta
03-18-2014, 04:01 AM
Usually centers don't last long in the league because of the beatings they get such as Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, etc. But the beatings that Griffin get's is the most than any of the current players get, Noah and Dwight are close tho.

bleedprple&gold
03-18-2014, 11:12 AM

Lol. Been punched in the face a lot?

Chronz
03-18-2014, 11:17 AM
perhaps. Also talking about an era where the athletes didn't match modern basketball per say.

But sure. Our toughest generation is dying or dead now. That is pretty much a non-argument.

That they weren't the athletes they are now is why they relied on bush league tactics, so i agree with you on that, from the stories I've read/heard, fights were far more frequent back then.

I don't know how long it lasted, those older thugs didn't last well into the 60s as skills became more important and the league cleaned up its image from the 50s , so cumulatively speaking, i guess Shaq took more punishment (he was also allowed to dish his fair share of it tho) but at its peak, the older era was pretty physical. Certainly more than most eras

ewing
03-18-2014, 11:21 AM

i thought he left for the millions and millions of dollars.

Chronz
03-18-2014, 11:27 AM
Agree with Hawkeye, I have never seen anyone take a beating like Shaq. I haven't seen much ball when Wilt played and I'm sure he got abused, but during Shaqs time, guys that were twice as strong as dudes in the 50s, 60s and 70s were absolutely hammering Shaq multiple times a game. I remember when dudes would throw all their weight on Shaq's shoulder while jumping and making no play on the ball. If you fouled anyone else that way today, it would be a flagrant at least
Awful hyperbole aside, people used to ride Kareem too.

You talk about flagrant fouls that were just normal fouls for Shaq, the same held true for Wilt, except they weren't even called fouls at all. Shaq was also allowed to use his girth and weight more freely. Wilt brought some of it on himself by rarely retaliating, the guy just wanted to pay basketball and showcase his skill. Older Wilt wouldn't have been so easy to pick on. I love both Shaq and Wilt because they are so comparable, that holds true here too. Both guys were best defended sometimes by simply flopping

Chronz
03-18-2014, 11:28 AM
i thought he left for the millions and millions of dollars.

I thought he left because he got sick of zone defenses and lack of development

Was he threatened at LLSU or something, could it even be compared to the racial tension of Wilts time?

ewing
03-18-2014, 11:39 AM

Was he threatened at LLSU or something, could it even be compared to the racial tension of Wilts time?

i still think it was the millions and millions of dollars

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 02:47 PM
You are not helping your case. And I am now enjoying it.

as someone who was a competitive fighter for years, you can take my word. Getting punched in the face isn't as bad as getting a kidney shot, or a big kick to an open thigh.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Lol. Been punched in the face a lot?

enough times

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 02:49 PM
That they weren't the athletes they are now is why they relied on bush league tactics, so i agree with you on that, from the stories I've read/heard, fights were far more frequent back then.

I don't know how long it lasted, those older thugs didn't last well into the 60s as skills became more important and the league cleaned up its image from the 50s , so cumulatively speaking, i guess Shaq took more punishment (he was also allowed to dish his fair share of it tho) but at its peak, the older era was pretty physical. Certainly more than most eras

I can agree to all of that, for sure. Fights were more common in sports 60 years ago. Television alone made sports have to clean up. Nobody wants their 8 year old watching a brawl at a basketball game.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 02:51 PM

no, if you remember watching him, the only tactic opposing defenses would use was to hammer him as hard as humanly possible, and hope he retaliated. Shaq was going to get killed if he stayed from all the physical abuse he was taking.

Sadds The Gr8
03-18-2014, 02:52 PM
as someone who was a competitive fighter for years, you can take my word. Getting punched in the face isn't as bad as getting a kidney shot, or a big kick to an open thigh.

lol he's trollin the crap outta you

nastynice
03-18-2014, 05:29 PM
op, did you hear them say this on the clippers broadcast? If so, I'm not surprised...

Cracka2HI!
03-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Don't see how this is a relevant thread. I understand it's trying to demean Blake but it's a real poor effort. Blake does get pounded. Any true fan who watches clearly understands this. People who just hate Blake like to point to things like this implying he is soft. He is not soft. He takes more abuse than any player in the league today and the most I've seen since Shaq. If posting a thread saying Wilt took more abuse is supposed to prove anything negative about Blake, I'm not seeing it.

Iron24th
03-18-2014, 06:16 PM

Getting hit in the face isn't painful? Really???

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Getting hit in the face isn't painful? Really???

not if the person doesn't know how to punch, which is most people you come across. I would rather take a shot there than a kidney shot, rib shot, or something near my neck anyday.