PDA

View Full Version : Melo willing to change game for Phil

Cracka2HI!
03-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Can't believe this isn't a thread yet. If It is and I missed it I apologize. This is great news for Knicks fans IMO. If Melo buys into the triangle I can see this working. He is good enough to adjust his game on a positive note. If Melo buys in can Phil turn him into the type of competitor MJ of Bryant were/are? Can he reach anywhere close to that level? I doubt he can get to THAT level but if I were a Knicks fan I'd be really happy to hear this. First and foremost Melo is talking openly about his future with the Knicks. Always a great sign for a guy who can opt out!

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10622812/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-willing-do-chance-win

PraiseJesus
03-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Countdown till LeBron is Knicks

PraiseJesus
03-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Melo and Lebron are perfect triangle players

Slug3
03-17-2014, 10:38 PM
Phil might have the coaching edge on Pat. But no way in Hell can Phil at the moment even stand on the same island with Pat in running a team. Lebron is not going to NY. Melo has a better chance at going to Miami.

Jamiecballer
03-17-2014, 11:08 PM
Can't believe this isn't a thread yet. If It is and I missed it I apologize. This is great news for Knicks fans IMO. If Melo buys into the triangle I can see this working. He is good enough to adjust his game on a positive note. If Melo buys in can Phil turn him into the type of competitor MJ of Bryant were/are? Can he reach anywhere close to that level? I doubt he can get to THAT level but if I were a Knicks fan I'd be really happy to hear this. First and foremost Melo is talking openly about his future with the Knicks. Always a great sign for a guy who can opt out!

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10622812/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-willing-do-chance-win

Is he talking about playing the triangle, or is he admitting to being a selfish little ballhog his whole career? Confused by the thread title...

Never mind. Read the article, question answered. First thing that came to mind was this

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yADrtfAmLTo

GiantsSwaGG
03-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Lebron will be a knick...

11 rings

DillyDill
03-17-2014, 11:17 PM
If it ever happens Bron and Mell would be nasssstttyyyy as a triangle duo. Doesn't everybody agree?

Bron= Facilitator

Mell= Scorer

Match made in heaven

PraiseJesus
03-17-2014, 11:28 PM
If it ever happens Bron and Mell would be nasssstttyyyy as a triangle duo. Doesn't everybody agree?

Bron= Facilitator

Mell= Scorer

Match made in heaven

In my opinion it is all set up to happen. Just like the big 3 in Miami players are allowed to collude in free agency.

Dolan got word that LeBron would come to NY if he hired Phil and gave him control.

A dynasty in Miami or San Antonio is one thing, but a dynasty in NYC in Madison Square Garden??

Thats something special.

My only question is, who is the 3rd player going to NYC?

PG <--insert defensive minded PG that can shoot 3s
JR Smith
Melo
Lebron
Chandler

oh meee Oh my

DillyDill
03-17-2014, 11:34 PM
In my opinion it is all set up to happen. Just like the big 3 in Miami players are allowed to collude in free agency.

Dolan got word that LeBron would come to NY if he hired Phil and gave him control.

A dynasty in Miami or San Antonio is one thing, but a dynasty in NYC in Madison Square Garden??

Thats something special.

JR Smith
Melo
Lebron
Chandler

oh meee Oh my

Yea a dynasty in NY would be crazzzzy. But would you still think Bron would leave after a heat 3peat then possibly 4peat? I highly doubt it if that occurs

CostanzaNumba0
03-17-2014, 11:57 PM
You guys are nuts

TheMightyHumph
03-18-2014, 12:31 AM
'Melo is neither Jordan, Kobe nor LeBron. Melo is neither the passer nor ballhandler that those 3 are. The triangle will just not work as well with him.

And, of course, Phil Jackson will not be the coach.

jerellh528
03-18-2014, 12:41 AM
I don't see a problem with melo's game. That's just who he is and he's a pretty smart player, you can always improve but Phil was never one to groom and develop players. Maybe he means just switching to the triangle.

P&GRealist
03-18-2014, 12:43 AM

Thats something special.

JR Smith
Melo
Lebron
Chandler

oh meee Oh my

A healthy and motivated Pau Gasol reunited with Phil as Jimbo foolishly sends him there in a S&T for Amare's expiring and a pick. Amare is far from a PJ type of player. If anything, Amare would be the first guy that Phil would try to get rid of this summer. And Amare's no defense would be perfect for a PHX Suns reunion with D'Antoni and Nash back in LA. (Assuming Jimbo doesn't fire Pringles).

ztilzer31
03-18-2014, 12:50 AM
'Melo is neither Jordan, Kobe nor LeBron. Melo is neither the passer nor ballhandler that those 3 are. The triangle will just not work as well with him.

And, of course, Phil Jackson will not be the coach.

F Melo and Lebron the triangle won't work with Tyson Chandler lol.

Straight up if LBJ 3 peats there is no damn way he's leaving.

TheMightyHumph
03-18-2014, 12:50 AM
I don't see a problem with melo's game. That's just who he is and he's a pretty smart player, you can always improve but Phil was never one to groom and develop players. Maybe he means just switching to the triangle.

Do you think 'Melo will work well in a triangle offense?

Trwood12
03-18-2014, 12:52 AM
i don't think Melo needs to change his game. The rest of the Knicks do XD

P&GRealist
03-18-2014, 12:56 AM
LeBron is a great player, but somehow, he's not as appealing and exciting as when he was in Cleveland. There's something missing about LeBron; i just don't sense that WOW WOW WOW factor of him in a Heat uniform. I just think everything is so constructed to his liking there that the surprise and unpredictability factor of LeBron in Miami just isn't there. LeBron is a great player, but somehow, this chapter and story of LeBron the Heat is kinda bland and boring.

Now, if he went to NY with the media, the unknown of trying to make it work with Carmelo, and being the 3rd guy in the lineage of Michael and Kobe under Phil, that would bring more mystique and excitement to what would be the next chapter of his career.

Honestly, I feel LeBron (title or no title this yr) has reached the ultimate peak of accomplishments in a Heat uniform. Sure he can win more titles, but that WOW and Excitement factor is just not there in South Beach.

I want to see LeBron go to NYC and win championships there and create a great storyline in the Big Apple.

LA_Raiders
03-18-2014, 01:00 AM
Phil is a smart guy, he will let Melo walk

ztilzer31
03-18-2014, 01:03 AM

I don't think they make this move right now if they don't want Melo to stay.

beasted86
03-18-2014, 01:18 AM
This thread needs a ton of those "Not sure if serious" memes. LOL @ Knicks having cap space to sign anybody.

Did I miss the part where someone put a gun to Amare's head and makes him opt out of $23M?

mdm692
03-18-2014, 01:39 AM

Thats something special.

JR Smith
Melo
Lebron
Chandler

oh meee Oh my
Andrew Bynum :hide:.

TheMightyHumph
03-18-2014, 01:44 AM
A healthy and motivated Pau Gasol reunited with Phil as Jimbo foolishly sends him there in a S&T for Amare's expiring and a pick. Amare is far from a PJ type of player. If anything, Amare would be the first guy that Phil would try to get rid of this summer. And Amare's no defense would be perfect for a PHX Suns reunion with D'Antoni and Nash back in LA. (Assuming Jimbo doesn't fire Pringles).

Pau was a malcontent and a wimp in Memphis, and expressed his desire to leave Memphis, where he would have become even more of a dog.

The rest of the league didn't respect Pau's game and wimpiness so as to not consider a better offer that Lakers made.

Lakers did very well, as they had a superstar that needed help.

Grizzles have obviously become a much better team since the trade.

You understand that, don't you?

PraiseJesus
03-18-2014, 01:48 AM

I can see that happening. Jim Short Buss is just dumb enough to do it

PraiseJesus
03-18-2014, 01:52 AM
LeBron is a great player, but somehow, he's not as appealing and exciting as when he was in Cleveland. There's something missing about LeBron; i just don't sense that WOW WOW WOW factor of him in a Heat uniform. I just think everything is so constructed to his liking there that the surprise and unpredictability factor of LeBron in Miami just isn't there. LeBron is a great player, but somehow, this chapter and story of LeBron the Heat is kinda bland and boring.

Now, if he went to NY with the media, the unknown of trying to make it work with Carmelo, and being the 3rd guy in the lineage of Michael and Kobe under Phil, that would bring more mystique and excitement to what would be the next chapter of his career.

Honestly, I feel LeBron (title or no title this yr) has reached the ultimate peak of accomplishments in a Heat uniform. Sure he can win more titles, but that WOW and Excitement factor is just not there in South Beach.

I want to see LeBron go to NYC and win championships there and create a great storyline in the Big Apple.

100% agree.

Not to mention that Miami was Wade's town and should remain.

You can also add in the storyline of LeBron facing Wade and the Heat in future east conference finals

In my head - LeBron is already a Knick

Jarvo
03-18-2014, 02:04 AM
:laugh: at some of the comments.

jerellh528
03-18-2014, 02:09 AM
Do you think 'Melo will work well in a triangle offense?

I would say so, he moves very well without the ball, he seems to understand spacing and has good enough handles to be ready to distribute. He's also very smart offensively and uses his body for positioning as good as anyone in the nba. As long as he's motivated defensively I think he would make a fine triangle player.

Chronz
03-18-2014, 02:30 AM
Pau was a malcontent and a wimp in Memphis, and expressed his desire to leave Memphis, where he would have become even more of a dog.

The rest of the league didn't respect Pau's game and wimpiness so as to not consider a better offer that Lakers made.

Lakers did very well, as they had a superstar that needed help.

Grizzles have obviously become a much better team since the trade.

You understand that, don't you?

What are you basing this on? Pau was never a wimp. The rest of the league respected Pau's game, to the point where several GM's/Coaches wanted a committee to oversee BS trades. I recall GM's hating the trade because they felt they had made better offers.

Lakers did well, and the Grizzlies did well, not sure why you think he doesn't understand common sense, nor do I see its relevance considering he spent most of that post trashing Amare, not praising Pau.

Kashmir13579
03-18-2014, 02:37 AM
This thread needs a ton of those "Not sure if serious" memes. LOL @ Knicks having cap space to sign anybody.

Did I miss the part where someone put a gun to Amare's head and makes him opt out of $23M?

Amar'e has one year left on his deal.. Time flies.

TheMightyHumph
03-18-2014, 02:38 AM
:laugh: at some of the comments.

Yeah we laugh at a lot of your comments too, and the picture of you 4 brothers. Or is that last one a sister, or just a loved one.

Kashmir13579
03-18-2014, 02:40 AM
What are you basing this on? Pau was never a wimp. The rest of the league respected Pau's game, to the point where several GM's/Coaches wanted a committee to oversee BS trades. I recall GM's hating the trade because they felt they had made better offers.

Lakers did well, and the Grizzlies did well, not sure why you think he doesn't understand common sense, nor do I see its relevance considering he spent most of that post trashing Amare, not praising Pau.
lmfao.. Seriously..

I remember everyone flipping out over how lopsided and ridiculous that trade was.. FOs, fans, the media... everyone..

TheMightyHumph
03-18-2014, 02:43 AM

I'm basing Pau stint as a Grizzle as him being a wimp from watching hin play as a Grizzle.

And Amare was not my concern in this post, although I never considered Amare to be a wimp.

Kashmir13579
03-18-2014, 02:45 AM
I'm basing Pau stint as a Grizzle as him being a wimp from watching hin play as a Grizzle.

Glad we cleared that up.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-18-2014, 03:19 AM

The only thing is, they didn't have better offers. They didn't have a cost controlled second round pick Marc Gasol in their back pocket like the Lakers did, and 12 million dollars of expiring contracts. And a first round pick. Time has shown that the Grizz got as much as they could have gotten. Those sour Gms were just mad that it went to the Lakers.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-18-2014, 03:28 AM
As for the thread. The triangle requires the post man to be an effective passer. The Knicks don't have that and Melo is not that type of player. The Bulls used Jordan down there, and the Lakers used Shaq, Pau, and Bynum as the low post threat. They need to find someone like that to sign cheap if they are going to run that offense

PraiseJesus
03-18-2014, 08:04 AM
The only thing is, they didn't have better offers. They didn't have a cost controlled second round pick Marc Gasol in their back pocket like the Lakers did, and 12 million dollars of expiring contracts. And a first round pick. Time has shown that the Grizz got as much as they could have gotten. Those sour Gms were just mad that it went to the Lakers.

To this day people want to say that was a one sided trade! Despite the fact that it was a perfect trade for both sides.

Some trolls can't accept the fact that GMs know more than you do and they knew Marc Gasol was legit

PraiseJesus
03-18-2014, 08:06 AM
As for the thread. The triangle requires the post man to be an effective passer. The Knicks don't have that and Melo is not that type of player. The Bulls used Jordan down there, and the Lakers used Shaq, Pau, and Bynum as the low post threat. They need to find someone like that to sign cheap if they are going to run that offense

Finding a passing big man that plays legit defense isn't that hard.

That's the beauty of the triangle - it requires players with skillsets that aren't that hard to find

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Wait....I dont get all the triangle offense hype

Last I heard Woodson is still coaching the Knicks and Phil said himself he will never coach again. Where do you guys get that the knicks would be running triangle offense?

Jarvo
03-18-2014, 08:37 AM
Yeah we laugh at a lot of your comments too, and the picture of you 4 brothers. Or is that last one a sister, or just a loved one.

Lol was that suppose to be funny? You're a grown man throwing insults like a child :laugh:

FYL_McVeezy
03-18-2014, 09:37 AM

Last I heard Woodson is still coaching the Knicks and Phil said himself he will never coach again. Where do you guys get that the knicks would be running triangle offense?

The major assumption with Phil's hiring is that he would bring in someone like Steve Kerr to coach the team and install Phil's triangle.

FYL_McVeezy
03-18-2014, 09:39 AM
And please....can we just cut it out with the Lebron to NY foolishness...

1) He's not leaving Miami...

2) Hypothetically if he did opt out and express interest in NY we have no cap space this year to sign him, and no way Riley entertains a S&T with the Zen Master.....

NYKnickFanatic
03-18-2014, 09:46 AM
LeBron is not coming to the Knicks. We have no cap this year to sign him, unless he opts in and we try next year. But it is very unlikely he does that. And honestly, I think there would be too much pressure for him in NY. I don't think he would be able to handle it.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 09:55 AM

Amare has publicly called Gasol soft. Chris Paul has called Gasol soft to his face. Magic Johnson has twitter-ranted that Gasol is soft. Snoop Dogg called him a "soft punk *****".

You can respect someones game without respecting their toughness. Gasol is a terrific player but pretty soft as a person. Obviously it comes down to your personal definition, but nobody is putting "tough" and "Pau Gasol" in the same sentence. I don't think Gasol has the rep of a tough player around the league.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 09:56 AM

The prevailing wisdom is that Phil, a man who knows nothing but the triangle, will get a coach that will teach the triangle so he can do what he does best and find guys that will thrive within it.

Phil is 68, I doubt he's going to try and broaden his horizons now, especially with the way he has publicly vilified those who doubt the triangle and say the PnR heavy league would blow the doors off it in todays NBA.

Slug3
03-18-2014, 10:07 AM

That was not even remotely funny :confused:

Pierzynski4Prez
03-18-2014, 10:11 AM
The major assumption with Phil's hiring is that he would bring in someone like Steve Kerr to coach the team and install Phil's triangle.

So the Knicks will be as good as Steve Kerr's coaching abilities are (has never coached), not PJ's since he will be watching games from upstairs.

Just reading this thread (and this isn't directed at you), a lot of posters think its just a simple transition for any coach to teach, along easily plugging players into the system so it works. Just because Kerr played in the system what, 15-18 years ago, he's going to be an expert at coaching it?

My opinion is the knicks should hire the best available coach out there, to coach their own system. Don't get bogged down into thinking its triangle only because PJ is president of basketball operations.

JasonJohnHorn
03-18-2014, 10:15 AM
The fact that he said this suggests he's a $#!T to start with.

"Oh, I'll change my game for Phil, but I wouldn't change it for Woodson or Karl."

Sure. Whatever.

Melo is not the kind of guy the Knicks need to build around. Trade him to Houston if they want him for picks and expiring contracts.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-18-2014, 10:17 AM

"Oh, I'll change my game for Phil, but I wouldn't change it for Woodson or Karl."

Sure. Whatever.

Melo is not the kind of guy the Knicks need to build around. Trade him to Houston if they want him for picks and expiring contracts.

They need to package Felton and/or JR with Melo and obtain expiring players and picks. Shed as many bad contracts that hinder the 2015 offseason as much as they can. The knicks actually own their own 2015 pick, so play out next year as a bottom feeder, go into FA with loads of space and a top pick to build around.

FYL_McVeezy
03-18-2014, 10:20 AM
So the Knicks will be as good as Steve Kerr's coaching abilities are (has never coached), not PJ's since he will be watching games from upstairs.

Just reading this thread (and this isn't directed at you), a lot of posters think its just a simple transition for any coach to teach, along easily plugging players into the system so it works. Just because Kerr played in the system what, 15-18 years ago, he's going to be an expert at coaching it?

My opinion is the knicks should hire the best available coach out there, to coach their own system. Don't get bogged down into thinking its triangle only because PJ is president of basketball operations.

We'll know more about Phil's plans in a few....everything up till now is just speculation anyways....

I still don't know what Phil's living situation will be....but if he indeed moves to NY he will have a tremendous impact in practice and training camp....

I will say this tho....if Phil does bring in Kerr to become the coach...he will just be an extension of Phil who can no longer handle the rigors of an 82 game schedule....

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 10:25 AM

Phil has won 11 championships coaching one way, evaluating talent for one system, plugging the right players into one system. I think its clear we got him to be our Riley and do more than just choose players - he is going to have his fingerprints on everything and his fingers have only touched the triangle.

Your also forgetting that coaches have these things called experienced assistants. It wouldn't be Kerr going in blind if it is Kerr. I'm sure Phil would be sure to get him PLENTY of experience on his bench.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 10:28 AM

Sure. Whatever.

You have to realize these guys are asked a question, and they answer it. He didn't go out there unsolicited and say "man Phil is here I'll finally change my game now!", and thats not how you should interpret it.

"If Phil asks you to change your game, will you?"

"If Phil asks me to change my game, I will definitely do that. I haven't won anything in this league - he's won it all 11 times".

I mean how much more proper can you expect him to be in his response to that question. This is the NBA cesspool forum though so I'm not surprised at some of the insinuations drawn.

I think its clear Melo HAS changed his game these past few years and has been having his best two seasons of his career the last 2. Him saying he will do what Phil asks him to do as far as his game goes cannot be construed as an negative in any way shape or form.

blahblahyoutoo
03-18-2014, 10:55 AM

would a person who's handle is n*gga2HI! be allowed on these boards?

Pierzynski4Prez
03-18-2014, 10:56 AM
We'll know more about Phil's plans in a few....everything up till now is just speculation anyways....

I still don't know what Phil's living situation will be....but if he indeed moves to NY he will have a tremendous impact in practice and training camp....

I will say this tho....if Phil does bring in Kerr to become the coach...he will just be an extension of Phil who can no longer handle the rigors of an 82 game schedule....

I agree with that. But Phil isn't going to be at every practice I can't imagine. Probably just a portion. I don't think he's going to be as involved with the on-the-court aspect as much as he will personnel aspect. That will obviously be his focus, but unless he wants coaches/GM's quitting on him in the middle of this process, he can't overstep his boundaries in regards to his coaching staff and GM.

Phil has won 11 championships coaching one way, evaluating talent for one system, plugging the right players into one system. I think its clear we got him to be our Riley and do more than just choose players - he is going to have his fingerprints on everything and his fingers have only touched the triangle.

Your also forgetting that coaches have these things called experienced assistants. It wouldn't be Kerr going in blind if it is Kerr. I'm sure Phil would be sure to get him PLENTY of experience on his bench.

1st off let me say I love PJ and think this is a brilliant move for NY. But this is why I think some people are going overboard. Just because Phil won 11 rings coaching MJ & Pip, Kobe, and Shaq, they think he's already on Riley's level in regards to working in the front office. It's not like he scouted those 4 players and turned them into the superstars they were. He walked into very good situations, and made the best of it. This is not a very good situation he's in. Let's let him make a few moves/decisions before anointing him a top Executive.

People shouldn't compare him to Riley. Riley is at the top of his game. There are 28 other Team Presidents. It's like saying Jordan should be the top owner because of his success as a player. If PJ and Riley were both coaches, I wouldn't expect Riley to be as effective as PJ, just like right now as Team Presidents, I don't expect Phil to be on par with Riley quite yet.

As I said above, if they want a quality coaching staff, Phil's going to need to hire them and not overstep his boundaries. This goes for the GM too. Otherwise you'll have a revolving door of personnel, which isn't a good thing. He's going to hire people he trusts, and let them do what they do. He's not going to hire puppets.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 11:05 AM
I agree with that. But Phil isn't going to be at every practice I can't imagine. Probably just a portion. I don't think he's going to be as involved with the on-the-court aspect as much as he will personnel aspect. That will obviously be his focus, but unless he wants coaches/GM's quitting on him in the middle of this process, he can't overstep his boundaries in regards to his coaching staff and GM.

1st off let me say I love PJ and think this is a brilliant move for NY. But this is why I think some people are going overboard. Just because Phil won 11 rings coaching MJ & Pip, Kobe, and Shaq, they think he's already on Riley's level in regards to working in the front office. It's not like he scouted those 4 players and turned them into the superstars they were. He walked into very good situations, and made the best of it. This is not a very good situation he's in. Let's let him make a few moves/decisions before anointing him a top Executive.

People shouldn't compare him to Riley. Riley is at the top of his game. There are 28 other Team Presidents. It's like saying Jordan should be the top owner because of his success as a player. If PJ and Riley were both coaches, I wouldn't expect Riley to be as effective as PJ, just like right now as Team Presidents, I don't expect Phil to be on par with Riley quite yet.

As I said above, if they want a quality coaching staff, Phil's going to need to hire them and not overstep his boundaries. This goes for the GM too. Otherwise you'll have a revolving door of personnel, which isn't a good thing. He's going to hire people he trusts, and let them do what they do. He's not going to hire puppets.

Obviously he's not Riley yet. I said we got him to be our Riley. Which we did. We got him in hopes of using his larger than life persona, immaculate coaching pedigree and wealth of basketball knowledge to run our team the same way Riley did with the Heat. At one point Riley was only a coach too. Nobody is saying Phil is there already - just that the hope is he will get there and be able to replicate similar success.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Phil's first unsolicited statement:

"I believe in system basketball"

He is bringing the triangle with him.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 11:28 AM
He is moving to NY and "jumping into this with both feet"

Says he has no problem committing right here and now saying Carmelo is in the future plans and he wants him back. Calls him one of the best isolation scorers in the game and thinks he has one more level he has yet to reach.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Says the balance with he and Mills will be perfect. Mills knows the inner workings of NBA FO's, and knows all the agents. Basically says he needs a guys like Mills by his side.

beasted86
03-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Amar'e has one year left on his deal.. Time flies.

Wait, so are people really talking about LeBron signing in 2015? Even if so, whats keeping Carmelo in New York for another year if absolutely no help is brought in (in lieu of maintaining cap flexibility for 2015)?

Can the Knicks improve the team while trading only for expirers? Extremely doubtful. Knicks have no draft pick in this year's draft, and only have the $3M MLE. I don't see how the team improves while saving cap space.

xxplayerxx23

Sure. Whatever.

Except he has changed his game and had his two best years of his career. He is the guy to build around

mudvayne387
Oh Nice Melo,

You will change your game for Phil but you wouldn't change it for Karl, Pringles, or Mr. Potato Head ? ?

or

How about changing it for you Nugget and Knicks teammates ?

I'm counting down the days until Melo leaves ...

mudvayne387
03-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Wait, so are people really talking about LeBron signing in 2015? Even if so, whats keeping Carmelo in New York for another year if absolutely no help is brought in (in lieu of maintaining cap flexibility for 2015)?

Can the Knicks improve the team while trading only for expirers? Extremely doubtful. Knicks have no draft pick in this year's draft, and only have the $3M MLE. I don't see how the team improves while saving cap space.

$$$$$

beasted86
03-18-2014, 11:58 AM
$$$$$

Other teams can give him the max while missing the playoffs or being a mediocre playoff team. Also a risky proposition for a will-be 31 yr old looking for a max contract in that summer of 2015.

I'd say he looks for a 5yr contract this summer at 30yrs old while he is healthy.

xxplayerxx23
03-18-2014, 12:23 PM
What teams can give him the max?

blastmasta26
03-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Oh Nice Melo,

You will change your game for Phil but you wouldn't change it for Karl, Pringles, or Mr. Potato Head ? ?

or

Melo has easily played his best basketball as a Knick, don't try to criticize him for being open to change when a guy with the credibility of Jackson will potentially ask him to change.

mjm07
03-18-2014, 12:58 PM
I forgot how overzealous some knick fans can get.

I wonder how Jackson will be able to turn the Knicks into a championship calibur team with the current lack of cap space, draft picks, talent and not to mention his lack of executive experience. Not doubting that he can, just seems like a very huge task.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Oh Nice Melo,

or

I'll just quote my old post since you seem to be part of the cesspool that skipped its comprehension classes in 3rd grade.

You have to realize these guys are asked a question, and they answer it. He didn't go out there unsolicited and say "man Phil is here I'll finally change my game now!", and thats not how you should interpret it.

"If Phil asks me to change my game, I will definitely do that. I haven't won anything in this league - he's won it all 11 times".

I mean how much more proper can you expect him to be in his response to that question. This is the NBA cesspool forum though so I'm not surprised at some of the insinuations drawn.

I think its clear Melo HAS changed his game these past few years and has been having his best two seasons of his career the last 2. Him saying he will do what Phil asks him to do as far as his game goes cannot be construed as an negative in any way shape or form.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 12:59 PM
What would be the proper response in your eyes when asked the question: "Will you change your game if Phil asks you to?"

mngopher35
03-18-2014, 01:01 PM
I'll just quote my old post since you seem to be part of the cesspool that skipped its comprehension classes in 3rd grade.

Yup, anytime a superstar (Lebron and Durant are most recent to come to mind) says something it somehow gets twisted and misinterpreted by a chunk of people. As a Knicks fan I would just be ecstatic that Phil is there and it sounds like Melo is very happy about it.

BoSox47
03-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Bless Phil jacksons soul and family, but the dude is most likely going to die before he can put a staple on the knicks.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 01:12 PM
Bless Phil jacksons soul and family, but the dude is most likely going to die before he can put a staple on the knicks.

Donnie Walsh smokes 3 packs a day and is overseeing a top 3 team in the league. Phil looks in great health right now. Its not like he is any older than Pat the Rat.

mudvayne387
03-18-2014, 01:19 PM
What would be the proper response in your eyes when asked the question: "Will you change your game if Phil asks you to?"

My Response:

"Obviously I would take any advice Phil had to offer. He is one of the greatest basketball minds of all time and a true legend. But I would also like to think that throughout my career I have evolved my game and am always trying to make the players around me better. I look forward to growing even more as a player and ultimately my goal is to win an NBA championship"

There, that was easy.

Keep defending the guy. Defend him when he goes ISO for minutes at a time while his teammates are standing flat footed waiting for him to make a move. Defend him when STAT hits three in a row and on the next possession never sees the ball because its Melo time. Heck, even defend him when late in the game he switches off his man and then looks at his teammate like he has three heads for not rotating.

Do I think he is one of the most talented players in the NBA ? or course.

But the fact of the matter is, he has a low basketball IQ and honestly makes no one around him one ounce better. Like I said, he needs to be the second option on a team if he really wants a ring.

As a Knick fan, I hope it works out somehow.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Thats a great opinion of yours, bro. I disagree with almost all of it.

And maybe next time Barack Obama can have his speech writer draw up Melo's responses for ya.

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 01:40 PM
These are uneducated basketball players answering unsolicited questions on-the-fly. Not ivy league politicians given thought out, calculated responses to pre-screened questions.

Being fair and reasonable wouldn't hurt, would it?

Wait, this is the NBA forum. NVM.

Gibby23
03-18-2014, 01:51 PM
Who is Phil going to bring into coach? The only guys that have been with him a while that make sense are Shaw and Rambis. Shaw has a job. Rambis? I don't know about him as a head coach again and I don't think he is that good.

mjm07
03-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Donnie Walsh smokes 3 packs a day and is overseeing a top 3 team in the league. Phil looks in great health right now. Its not like he is any older than Pat the Rat.

Pat is in great shape. ;)

mudvayne387
03-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Thats a great opinion of yours, bro. I disagree with almost all of it.

And maybe next time Barack Obama can have his speech writer draw up Melo's responses for ya.

You disagree why ? Because what Melo said is getting criticized not only by the posters on PSD, but by media outlets everywhere also ? Does it hurt your feelings that some people don't live in fairy tale land where they throw gummy bears and panties at Melo's feet ? This guy has had a free pass his entire career. You are right about one thing though, he is uneducated ... He has the basketball IQ of a chair and is a black hole on both ends of the court.

How would you feel if you were George Karl and basically lost your job because you couldn't take one of the best players in the NBA to the finals ? How would you feel if you were Mike D'antoni and you were in the same position ? How about Mike Woodson ?

Go ahead and stick up for a guy that forced his way to NY via trade when he could of just waited till free agency to sign. We wouldn't be in this position with all of our picks, Gallo, Chandler, etc ... But go ahead, keep sticking up for him ...

Chronz
03-18-2014, 01:59 PM
I will try anything to win, as i have tried in the past

mjm07
03-18-2014, 02:02 PM
These are uneducated basketball players answering unsolicited questions on-the-fly. Not ivy league politicians given thought out, calculated responses to pre-screened questions.

Being fair and reasonable wouldn't hurt, would it?

Wait, this is the NBA forum. NVM.

LBJ, Durant, D-Howard, and other overly critisized superstars say Hi.

mike_noodles
03-18-2014, 02:04 PM
So is Phil gonna coach? Why does everyone assume that he'll bring in a coach that will use the triangle?

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 02:06 PM
So is Phil gonna coach? Why does everyone assume that he'll bring in a coach that will use the triangle?

He all but said that in his presser today.

His first statement was "I believe in system basketball".

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 02:10 PM
I will try anything to win, as i have tried in the past

That sounds awfully familiar.

The Knicks star, who has stated his intentions to test the free agent market this summer, is 'willing to do whatever' when Jackson comes aboard. 'As long as it's gonna put me in a situation to win, I'm willing to do whatever,' Anthony says.

Nobody asked him about the past, they didn't ask about George Karl or Mike D'Antoni they asked him directly about Phil, he responded directly about Phil.

Nitpicking much?

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Something tells me if he DID indeed bring up trying to change under D'Antoni and Karl, you guys would flip it on him saying he is calling them out because it didn't work.

Either way, finding fault with anything he said these past two days, says way more about your agenda, than it does about Melo.

mudvayne387
03-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Nobody asked him about the past, they didn't ask about George Karl or Mike D'Antoni they asked him directly about Phil, he responded directly about Phil.

Nitpicking much?

Me Me Me

All about Carmelo ...

Gibby23
03-18-2014, 02:20 PM
I bet he brings in Fisher and Walton on minimum contracts.

NYKnickFanatic
03-18-2014, 02:24 PM
I bet he brings in Fisher and Walton on minimum contracts.

Sig bet?

NYKnickFanatic
03-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Me Me Me

All about CarMElo ...

:)

D-Leethal
03-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Me Me Me

All about Carmelo ...

You might actually be the 3rd string long snapper in the intelligence football league as well.

BoSox47
03-18-2014, 02:31 PM

Im just saying Phil is 68 and going to be 69 by the time next season starts. Knicks are in a bit of a log jam next season and dont have much cap flexibility until the summer of 2015 and Phil will be 70 at this point. With him being 6'8 and tall people having a shorter life expectancy idk. I dont wish sickness on anyone but realistically how long is phil jackson going to be able to do his job for.

BoSox47
03-18-2014, 02:32 PM

He is team president, not going to coach, hearing he will bring someone in

Jamiecballer
03-18-2014, 02:54 PM

i would have thought this too but then again i feel 90% sure this move is a symbolic one made to keep Melo in love with NY.

mudvayne387
03-18-2014, 03:01 PM
You might actually be the 3rd string long snapper in the intelligence football league as well.

Considering you were just outsmarted by me, then what does that make you ?

Water Boy, Towel Girl, Jock Strap Wrangler ?

NYKnickFanatic
03-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Let us keep the insults to a minimum.

Thanks.

kobe4thewinbang
03-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Do you guys think Phil Jackson will become the coach for the Knicks? First Take was saying it might better convince Carmelo to stay in NY if Jackson is directly running the ball game. Jackson is always saying he can't bear the strain of coaching anymore because of his health, but I think it could happen?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-18-2014, 03:54 PM
Why do people automatically assume that because Phil's taking a front office job that the Knicks will be running the triangle? :laugh2:

LeBron is not coming to the Knicks. We have no cap this year to sign him, unless he opts in and we try next year. But it is very unlikely he does that. And honestly, I think there would be too much pressure for him in NY. I don't think he would be able to handle it.

The pressure LeBron had in 2012 might be the most pressure any player has ever faced in NBA history, and he overcame that. Pressure shouldn't be a worry for LeBron.

Jarvo
03-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Only thing I'm thinking about is will Phil want to be the coach once he get the players he wants.

NBA_Starter
03-18-2014, 05:42 PM
I hope he is serious and really listens to The Zen Master, the proof is in his track record. This could be like a new beginning for Melo.

AddiX
03-18-2014, 06:39 PM
I doubt phil wants to invest the next 5 years of his career in melo.

And thats not a knock on melo, I just think he will want his own guys and rebuild from tue bottom up. He's the zen master, he's willing to wait.

I also don't know why people think he would do anything but install the triangle, that's wat he knows, that's what he's won with, that's what he will do here.

slashsnake
03-18-2014, 06:43 PM
I doubt phil wants to invest the next 5 years of his career in melo.

And thats not a knock on melo, I just think he will want his own guys and rebuild from tue bottom up. He's the zen master, he's willing to wait.

I also don't know why people think he would do anything but install the triangle, that's wat he knows, that's what he's won with, that's what he will do here.

That will be interesting to see if he goes with the triangle, and chooses the best coach available that knows and will run that, or if he just chooses the best coach period and lets him run what he knows how to run.

Jasper6
03-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Stephen A.Smith said that Melo is "GONE" this morning on First Take....

http://www.balldontstop.com/report-carmelo-anthony-will-leave-new-york-free-agency/

Jasper6
03-18-2014, 06:46 PM
but then again its stephen a smith lol

Jamiecballer
03-18-2014, 09:09 PM
Finding a passing big man that plays legit defense isn't that hard.

That's the beauty of the triangle - it requires players with skillsets that aren't that hard to find

LOL what?

thats about as rare a combination of skills as i can think of.

beasted86
03-18-2014, 09:51 PM
Other teams can give him the max while missing the playoffs or being a mediocre playoff team. Also a risky proposition for a will-be 31 yr old looking for a max contract in that summer of 2015.

I'd say he looks for a 5yr contract this summer at 30yrs old while he is healthy.

Lakers, Suns, Bobcats, Magic, Jazz, 76ers.... just the ones I know. Not sure what others.

My point is getting a 1yr max salary while playing for a non-contender can't be his motivation. There are other teams that can give him the max while not winning championships or missing the playoffs altogether. Winning has to play some part in it.