PDA

View Full Version : Team Pat vs. Team Phil

DreamShaker
03-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Besides Red, these two guys have been the coach or GM for more championship teams and great players than anyone. What if we made teams of who they have coached and pitted them against one another? Assume all are in their primes. Some guys have played for both, so i'll go with who they had more tenure/sucess under. Here are my projected teams...feel free to edit them:

Team Phil:

C- Shaq/Parish/Pau
PF- Karl Malone/Rodman/Amare
SF- Kobe/Glen Rice
SG- MJ/Mitch Richmond
PG- Pippen/Ron Harper

Team Pat

C- Kareem/Ewing
PF- Mourning/Bosh/McADoo
SF- Lebron/Worthy
SG- Wade/Wilkes
PG- Magic/GP/Hardaway

abe_froman
03-17-2014, 07:01 PM
why is amare there? if your adding his new jobn ny ,shouldnt you add melo to?

shouldnt team phil be

gp/harper
mj/kobe/richmond
pippen/melo/mwp/
malone/rodman/amare
shaq/parish/pau

anyways i'll go phil

Yanks All Day
03-17-2014, 07:03 PM
Pippen playing PG and Kobe playing SF doesn't seem right to me. I think Team Pat would win because they have more guys that fit designated roles.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2014, 07:09 PM
team Phil has no PG.

Would be a great battle obviously, 6 of my top 11 players come from those 2.

JordansBulls
03-17-2014, 07:35 PM
It should be as they were playing on those squads not all in there prime.

MTar786
03-17-2014, 08:07 PM
phil easily

Chacarron
03-17-2014, 08:09 PM
team Phil has no PG.

Would be a great battle obviously, 6 of my top 11 players come from those 2.

Team Phil doesn't need a PG if the triangle is being run. They could add Gary Payton otherwise.

slaker619
03-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Pat, they gonna work better with each other, but if you take away chemistry Phil winnin'

meloman1592
03-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Amare who?

DreamShaker
03-17-2014, 08:43 PM
why is amare there? if your adding his new jobn ny ,shouldnt you add melo to?

shouldnt team phil be

gp/harper
mj/kobe/richmond
pippen/melo/mwp/
malone/rodman/amare
shaq/parish/pau

anyways i'll go phil

I had Melo and forgot to put him back on. My bad.

DreamShaker
03-17-2014, 08:51 PM
It should be as they were playing on those squads not all in there prime.

So the teams would be:

Phil:

C- Shaq/Pau/Bynum
PF- Rodman/Grant
SF- Pippen/Melo/Artest
SG- MJ/Kobe
PG- GP/Harper

Vs.

Pat

C- Kareem/Ewing
PF- Zo/Bosh/Oakley
SF- Lebron/Worthy
SG- Wade/Wilkes\Starks
PG- Magic/Hardaway

Who wins that?

Slug3
03-17-2014, 08:53 PM
I would actually really want to see this series :(.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2014, 09:06 PM
Team Phil doesn't need a PG if the triangle is being run. They could add Gary Payton otherwise.

if we go by Jordansbulls suggestion, and take the player for what they were when they actually played for those two, team Pat wins pretty easily imo.

Ebbs
03-17-2014, 09:12 PM
phil

FYL_McVeezy
03-17-2014, 11:02 PM
So the teams would be:

Phil:

C- Shaq/Pau/Bynum
PF- Rodman/Grant
SF- Pippen/Melo/Artest
SG- MJ/Kobe
PG- GP/Harper

Vs.

Pat

C- Kareem/Ewing
PF- Zo/Bosh/Oakley
SF- Lebron/Worthy
SG- Wade/Wilkes\Starks
PG- Magic/Hardaway

Who wins that?

Phil's team would smoke Team Riley

abe_froman
03-18-2014, 01:50 AM
if we go by Jordansbulls suggestion, and take the player for what they were when they actually played for those two, team Pat wins pretty easily imo.
i dunno about that ,you'd still get peak shaq and mj( the two most dominant peaks of the modern era)with kobe and melo as your bench scorers and some tough defenders with rodman,artest and prime pippen,grant

even in jb's scenario it wont be east for anybody

Supreme LA
03-18-2014, 01:56 AM
So the teams would be:

Phil:

C- Shaq/Pau/Bynum
PF- Rodman/Grant
SF- Pippen/Melo/Artest
SG- MJ/Kobe
PG- GP/Harper

Vs.

Pat

C- Kareem/Ewing
PF- Zo/Bosh/Oakley
SF- Lebron/Worthy
SG- Wade/Wilkes\Starks
PG- Magic/Hardaway

Who wins that?

This is more like it. I don't know why you had Amare in there to begin with. And I think Phil's team wins pretty easily especially if running the triangle. Outside of Kareem and Lebron, Pat doesn't really have much. Also, having Kareem in the middle kinda clogs up the lane for Lebron so I don't know how well that works. In either case, Lebron still destroys everyone in the open court. To counter that however, all PJ has to do is make sure his guys get back and set up on defense after every possession which would pretty much negate Lebron's fastbreaks. Lebron's fastbreaks at that point would have to primarily come from turnovers which isn't likely to happen too much with those caliber of players.

abe_froman
03-18-2014, 02:00 AM
This is more like it. I don't know why you had Amare in there to begin with.

because the original scenario was going by everyone in their primes and prime amare was an unbelievable offensive player

Supreme LA
03-18-2014, 02:03 AM
because the original scenario was going by everyone in their primes and prime amare was an unbelievable offensive player

Yeah but Amare was only as effective as he was with a supreme point guard and that's not even considering the fact that Phil never runs the traditional pick & roll offense that led to Amare's success. You have to put in Grant over Amare is how I see it.

You have to realize it's called the triple post offense for a reason. Amare doesn't fit the mold. He isn't the passer out of the high post that Phil likes and he certainly wouldn't be the rebounder that Phil likes.

abe_froman
03-18-2014, 02:12 AM
Yeah but Amare was only as effective as he was with a supreme point guard
i'm not so sure about that,he was very effective his first season in ny(pre melo trade especially) with felton at point

though the rest you bring up great points,though i dont think op was really thinking fit ,more just biggest names when making his teams(which is common in this games)

Bostonjorge
03-18-2014, 03:14 AM
No way phill's team can lose in either prime or how they were when they were coached. Phill's team would look like this.

Shaq/gasol/chandler
Melo/Malone/rodman
Pippen/rice/
Jordan/Richmond
Kobe/Payton

Phill loves using big guards in the triangle and the 2 guards that benefited the most from the triangle were Jordan and Kobe. Pippen is also the best option ever to guard Lebron.

Supreme LA
03-18-2014, 05:06 AM
No way phill's team can lose in either prime or how they were when they were coached. Phill's team would look like this.

Shaq/gasol/chandler
Melo/Malone/rodman
Pippen/rice/
Jordan/Richmond
Kobe/Payton

Phill loves using big guards in the triangle and the 2 guards that benefited the most from the triangle were Jordan and Kobe. Pippen is also the best option ever to guard Lebron.

I've always thought that myself. Pippen was a super athletic demon on defense in his prime. I still don't think you can stop Lebron when he's gain momentum to the basket but Pippen would've probably been able to stay in front of him and press Lebron full court. Pippen would have the best chance out of anyone to slow Lebron down and potentially take the ball away from him. You don't ever see defense being played today the way Pippen use to, picking up guys full court and turning them to either hand.

Slug3
03-18-2014, 10:09 AM
MAgic/Wade/Bron would be a lot of fun to watch on fast breaks.

PurpleLynch
03-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Thinking at this hypothetical game I'm like Frank Caliendo doing John Madden.

My head just ****in explodes lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBW7ysPcbT0

KnicksorBust
03-18-2014, 09:30 PM
Team Phil.

Pippen guards Magic
Jordan guards Lebron

Or Pippen guards Lebron
Jordan guards Magic

...?

NBA_Starter
03-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Based off of track record alone I will have to go with Grandmaster Pat but The Zen Master is intriguing.

Hawkeye15
03-18-2014, 09:34 PM
i dunno about that ,you'd still get peak shaq and mj( the two most dominant peaks of the modern era)with kobe and melo as your bench scorers and some tough defenders with rodman,artest and prime pippen,grant

even in jb's scenario it wont be east for anybody

just much more balance on Pat's team. They actually have a PG, and their PF position wins pretty easily as well.

beliges
03-19-2014, 12:50 AM
Team Phil.

Pippen guards Magic
Jordan guards Lebron

Or Pippen guards Lebron
Jordan guards Magic

...?

MJ wouldn't be able to guard magic or lebron. Both are bigger than him and he couldn't check magic in the 91 Finals. Pippen is a great catchup for Lebron. Any team with kobe and mj with shaq at center will beat any other team fairly handily.