PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan couldn't average 40 points per game in today's NBA!

randyorton33
03-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Jordan would not have it as easy today. Evolution is the reason.

AWESOME READ: http://www.balldontstop.com/michael-jordan-would-not-average-40-ppg-in-todays-nba/

NoahH
03-15-2014, 05:45 PM
I think Kevin Durant, LeBron, Melo could all average 40ppg if they wanted to. They'd just have to play iso-ball and put up 30 shots per game. Would this benefit their team? NO! Would their team suffer? Probably. Could they do it? Yes.

MJ could average 40ppg if we wanted to in todays NBA or during his time. Would he do it? No. Mj averaged 37.1 ppg one year and took 27 shots per game that year. He could bump that up to 31-32 and do that EASILY now if he wanted to. But so could LeBron, Melo, even Monta Ellis. If ANYONE takes enough shots (and is a good scorer / volume scorer), they can average 40ppg.

bootypants
03-15-2014, 06:11 PM
FINALLY this is an article.

So tired of people saying MJ would be the best player in the league bar none today, and that people like Kobe, Lebron & Durant would struggle in MJ's era.

LEBRON WOULD BE BETTER in MJ's era. It would be absolutely MORE UNFAIR than what MJ was able to. Lebron would be at the free throw line 15 times a game without question because of a sluggish center position in those days, and guards/forwards not even close to being the athletic specimen he is.

ThuglifeJ
03-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Disagree

ThuglifeJ
03-15-2014, 06:14 PM
With the softer defense/ touchier calls today the things MJ could do would be endless. I could see 40 ppg forsure

abe_froman
03-15-2014, 06:16 PM
sure he could! he came close a couple times and you add to it the all the star calls from today's game and it being a more wide open/fineses game(inspired by mj)and that'd bump him up

bootypants
03-15-2014, 06:21 PM
With the softer defense/ touchier calls today the things MJ could do would be endless. I could see 40 ppg forsure

I would let MJ shoot from the outside all day. Today's game has much more stout help defense and quicker more athletic big men. I just don't see jordan driving to the hole as effective on these athletic SG or SF and then making jokes out of the athletic PF's/C at the rim like he did in his era.

Leftcoast_yg
03-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Simply, I ask, how would you know? Its based on speculation and or assumptions not reality. Facts are based on truth not opinion.

bootypants
03-15-2014, 06:22 PM
Perfect example... Pacers/Clippers.

First he has to blow by PG or Granger/Barnes and then will be met by Hibbert or DJ.
I don't see that translating into gauranteed buckets by MJ just like it wouldn't for Lebron or Durant.

FOBolous
03-15-2014, 06:31 PM

First he has to blow by PG or Granger/Barnes and then will be met by Hibbert or DJ.
I don't see that translating into gauranteed buckets by MJ just like it wouldn't for Lebron or Durant.

Hakeem, Shaq, and Drob parked under the basket is more intimidating than Hibbert or DJ

nastynice
03-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Wether or not the guy would score 40 ppg today, I can't say, but that article is pretty bs. If Jordan was that ahead of the curve at that time, if you put him in modern time then wouldn't he be that much quicker, faster, hangtime, cuz he would also have all the benefit of advanced training from a young age that players have today??

I hear the same thing about all the old school players, but that's bs. If you're going to take old school players and stick them in this era, then you gotta also assume they would ALSO benefit from all the advanced training and techniques that today's athletes do, and be that much better in modern time than they were in their time.

Also, hand checking DOES make a difference. If he was able to get to the rim with the ease he did with hand checking allowed, I could only imagine how quickly he would blow by defenders without hand checking. Why did they ban it to begin with? what happened?

IndyRealist
03-15-2014, 06:34 PM

So tired of people saying MJ would be the best player in the league bar none today, and that people like Kobe, Lebron & Durant would struggle in MJ's era.

LEBRON WOULD BE BETTER in MJ's era. It would be absolutely MORE UNFAIR than what MJ was able to. Lebron would be at the free throw line 15 times a game without question because of a sluggish center position in those days, and guards/forwards not even close to being the athletic specimen he is.

So some random person with no cred writes a blog and suddenly it's the truth? It's probably the OP's own blog he's promoting here.

abe_froman
03-15-2014, 06:35 PM
a few big assumptions being made here
1.that the players from late 80's/90's werent athletic,today they are...you are treating it like he played in the 1940's,when it really wasnt that long ago.the drop in athleticism isnt as big as its being made out to be.

2.that its a talent,when really any great enough scorer can reach 40 if given the right conditions(green light,enough pt,fast enough pace,ect.).kobe's 35 ppg season is a reflection of that a usg% of 40%,40mpg taking nearly 30 fga...if he was as efficient with his shot as mj he would have gotten 40

3.the whole handchecking thing is self evident

IkeDoIt
03-15-2014, 06:36 PM
"But I still believe James would dominate Jordanís era more than he dominates his own era currently."
this writer is full of excrement...

I just went to the current NBA standings and looked at the teams thinking of which ones Jordan wouldnt run wild on. Besides the Bulls and Spurs, I think he'll have a field day on everyone else. Before you Heat fans go crazy saying "LeBron will guard him" look at LeBron's defensive games against Melo, Kobe, and Durant and reassess your opinion.

as for this article, its too unbelievably biased to be taken seriously
1. it doesnt take into account that most current players are reliant on their "athletecism", not the knowledge of the game. Jordan was not only athletic but a basketball prodigy.
2. Hand checking makes a HUGE difference when playing against a defender! this writer or those who agree with his premise must have never played a pick up game in his/her life! I dont understand what he meant by saying LeBron will get more free throws, because hand checking was NOT A FOUL under those rules.
3. If we're hypothetically putting Jordan into this era, then he will have access to all of the training and techniques of this era. thus his athletecism would match this era's as well as maintaining his basketball IQ and killer competitive mentality.

i have more but this article isn't even worth it

nastynice
03-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Hakeem, Shaq, and Drob parked under the basket is more intimidating than Hibbert or DJ

Was about to say the same, and don't sleep on Smits, Mourning, Ewing, etc. All the "2nd tier centers" of that day would easily be top tier centers today. (Ewing was top tier during his time, imo)

asandhu23
03-15-2014, 06:42 PM
********. Today's rules are designed to favor guards.

BALLER R
03-15-2014, 06:45 PM
half his points would come from the free throw line. Lebron goes to the line if you even breathe on him. The way Jordan played he would live at the free throw line in today's NBA.

BALLER R
03-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Lately everyone seems to be disrespecting his game.

IndyRealist
03-15-2014, 06:49 PM
On handchecking: "How much difference can a hand really make?" REALLY? The blogger does not see how being able to shove ballhandlers off their line of attack is a significant defensive advantage?

On athleticism: "What people donít understand and what people that have never really played basketball at any level let alone a high level like the NBA donít understand is that the most important factor in a basketball players abilities is their ATHLETICISM" That is patently untrue in the NBA. Only at the lowest levels does one player have a drastic athletic advantage over his counterpart. At the NBA level EVERYONE is athletic, and no one has a drastic athletic advantage at his position except Lebron and maybe Dwight. If athletic ability was the most important factor then the MVP race would be between Jeremy Evans and Terrence Ross, and Johnathan Bender would be a HoFer.

Honestly I stopped reading after that, it's all nonsensical, unorganized ranting. Once again, just because you put it on a blog does not make it the truth.

nastynice
03-15-2014, 06:50 PM
On handchecking: "How much difference can a hand really make?" REALLY? The blogger does not see how being able to shove ballhandlers off their line of attack is a significant defensive advantage?

:laugh: holy crap, did it really say that?? I completely missed that part. wow. just. wow.

JasonJohnHorn
03-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Well... Jordan never average 40 points during an era where there were a lot of possessions... why would he average more in an era with fewer? That said, he COULD.

Kobe's 35 a game was impressive, but it also game on a team that had no other scorers. Jordan's 37 and 35 seasons came in similar fashion, but at least Jordan made it into the second round during his 35 season AND he did it on 3 fewer shots.

MJ is simply better than Kobe. Put him on that Lakers roster in 06 and give him as many shots as Kobe, he's getting 40 points.

Jordan scored 35 a game on .535 shooting, Kobe did it on .450 shooting.. come on.

IkeDoIt
03-15-2014, 07:00 PM

so u say Pacers/Clippers, but neglect to mention:
Magic, Bucks, 76ers, Pistons, Cavs, Knicks, Hawks, Bobcats, Wizards, Nets, Raptors, HEAT, Lakers, Jazz, Nuggets, Grizzlies, Mavericks, Wolves, Suns.
These are teams I believe Jordan would ABUSE! others would provide more of a challenge because they have a wing defender and a Center for Jordan to go through

barreleffact
03-15-2014, 07:10 PM
a few big assumptions being made here
1.that the players from late 80's/90's werent athletic,today they are...you are treating it like he played in the 1940's,when it really wasnt that long ago.the drop in athleticism isnt as big as its being made out to be.

2.that its a talent,when really any great enough scorer can reach 40 if given the right conditions(green light,enough pt,fast enough pace,ect.).kobe's 35 ppg season is a reflection of that a usg% of 40%,40mpg taking nearly 30 fga...if he was as efficient with his shot as mj he would have gotten 40

I hate posters that consistently try to downgrade Kobe. This may be a little much because you didn't say much bad, but your justification is nonfactual. I agree that MJ, KB, KD, and many other COULD score 40ppg, and that MJ or KD would likely have done it easier, but the Kobe bashing is ludicrous. Is it possible for a top 5-10 talent to be UNDERrated?

05-06 Kobe scored 35.4 ppg in 41.0 mpg on 55.9% TS% and 38.7 usage and 27.2 fga per game
86-87 MJ scored 37.1 ppg in 40.0 mpg on 56.2% TS% and 38.3 usage and 27.8 fga per game

My point is their highest scoring years are nearly identical, yet Kobe gets degraded for being "inefficient."

To the topic: /Thread MJ could have scored 40ppg easily if he truly set his sights on it

Supreme LA
03-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Was about to say the same, and don't sleep on Smits, Mourning, Ewing, etc. All the "2nd tier centers" of that day would easily be top tier centers today. (Ewing was top tier during his time, imo)

Exactly. Smits would dominate the big men in the league today. I remember him giving Shaq all kinds of problems. There hasn't been a player in recent history that was as aggressive as Alonzo going after blocks. He's gotta hold the record for most dunk attempts blocked because that guy went after everything, even up to 3 or 4 times in one possession. Ewing and Hakeem would flat out destroy the big men of today and great defensive players in their own right.

In response to the OP and the article, I just don't see how Lebron gets more foul calls considering there would be no way he gets to the basket as easy as he does now without the hand check rule. Him flailing his head for a call wouldn't work so defenses could actually slow him down on the perimeter. Lebron would still be a freak in the open court, however I don't see him being nearly as effective in half court sets. You can youtube any old 90's playoff games to see how much more physical defenses were back then.

I believe MJ could if he wanted to. Just with his midrange game, his strength and acrobatics attacking the basket, and his touch with either hand through traffic is second to none. Add along with that the fact that the guy was a master in the post 20 ft and in you couldn't stop MJ. Believe me, many have tried.

effen5
03-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Yeah I can 20 centers in the 80s and 90s Jordan abused that are better than dwight Howard. The article is a joke.

abe_froman
03-15-2014, 07:14 PM
I hate posters that consistently try to downgrade Kobe. This may be a little much because you didn't say much bad, but your justification is nonfactual. I agree that MJ, KB, KD, and many other COULD score 40ppg, and that MJ or KD would likely have done it easier, but the Kobe bashing is ludicrous. Is it possible for a top 5-10 talent to be UNDERrated?

how did i bash kobe? if kobe was more efficient with his shots(as mj usually was) during the 35ppg year,taking the same number of shots,that ppg number would have increased to at/near 40.thats not bashing,thats just fact.it doesnt downgrade him or his accomplishment ,it doesnt bash him in anyway.i used the example of kobe because thats the highest ppg season in the modern era

Bruno
03-15-2014, 07:29 PM
'87 MJ could drag a team of scrubs to the playoffs in the east averring 40 a game this year. young mike would thrive in todays no touch NBA. think of how easily Harden gets to the foul line. then imagine 24 year old MJ doing it. he'd average 14 or 15 attempts a night. on a fast paced team? 40 all day.

barreleffact
03-15-2014, 07:30 PM
I take it as a bash because Jordan DID have as many shots as Kobe as noted later in the post. Their stats were nearly identical when Jordan did take an equal number of shots.

The year after the major difference was MJ scored MUCH more efficiently than Kobe, but it was Kobe's second year as the only guy compared to MJ's fourth year as the man if you are comparing those two years together. That's some seasoning time. We all know MJ was a better player and more efficient than KB, but KB is constantly deemed as inefficient or subpar when in reality he was efficient, just not otherworldly so like MJ proved to be.

FTR though I said you didn't say much bad, but it lacked perspective IMO and is synonymous with the whole idea of KB not being efficient at all as if he was out there Joe Johnsoning or something.

Dade County
03-15-2014, 07:30 PM

Good thread OP...

The super star touch calls started with MJ... So for people to think that he would draw more fouls playing now is wrong. He would be drawing the same foul calls, he did back then; the difference is that, other star players would be getting the same calls (on him too).

If Lbj, prime Wade, prime Kobe, KD...etc played in Jordan era, and they were the only player for 9 straight years to get super calls per night; they would be Jordan too!!! No team can survive that, it messes up rotations, it affect morale...etc

When did Jordan begin winning titles? When the bad boys couldn't be bad boys anymore. Jordan is still a very great player, but he wouldn't be 6 for 6 in Final's appearances.

beyourself
03-15-2014, 07:33 PM
You guys are missing something entirely and that's Jordan's mindset.

He was a relentless shooter. Look at absolutely insane USG% throughout his career.

I bet he'd have a season where he'd have enough shots to do it.

Bruno
03-15-2014, 07:34 PM

MJ gets to the bucket at a higher level than either of them. in 87 mike shot 12 FTA per game. he'd live at the line today. Only Wilt (6 times) and Jerry West (1) have put up more free throw attempts in a single season than MJ did in '87. he's elite at getting to the basket in a way that nobody is today. plus, he'd only have to match up with Indy four times a year. consider how many horrible defensive teams there are in the league. MJ would drop 50 on those teams and balance out even a sub par game against todays elite defensive teams.

PhillyFaninLA
03-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Yes because scoring 40 a game is so easy....

Karl Malone couldn't average 63 a game....its a meaningless prediction..now if it said Jordan couldn't average 30 then maybe its worth stating

Bruno
03-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Good thread OP...

The super star touch calls started with MJ... So for people to think that he would draw more fouls playing now is wrong. He would be drawing the foul calls calls he did back then, the difference is that, other star players would be getting the same call (on him too).

If Lbj, prime Wade, prime Kobe, KD...etc played in Jordan era, and they were the only player for 9 straight years to get super calls per night; they would be Jordan too!!! No team can survive that, it messes up rotations, it affect morale...etc

Kobe Wade LBJ and KD do get superstar calls. they have for the majority of their given careers I'd say.

Tony_Starks
03-15-2014, 07:37 PM
"But I still believe James would dominate Jordanís era more than he dominates his own era currently."
this writer is full of excrement...

I just went to the current NBA standings and looked at the teams thinking of which ones Jordan wouldnt run wild on. Besides the Bulls and Spurs, I think he'll have a field day on everyone else. Before you Heat fans go crazy saying "LeBron will guard him" look at LeBron's defensive games against Melo, Kobe, and Durant and reassess your opinion.

as for this article, its too unbelievably biased to be taken seriously
1. it doesnt take into account that most current players are reliant on their "athletecism", not the knowledge of the game. Jordan was not only athletic but a basketball prodigy.
2. Hand checking makes a HUGE difference when playing against a defender! this writer or those who agree with his premise must have never played a pick up game in his/her life! I dont understand what he meant by saying LeBron will get more free throws, because hand checking was NOT A FOUL under those rules.
3. If we're hypothetically putting Jordan into this era, then he will have access to all of the training and techniques of this era. thus his athletecism would match this era's as well as maintaining his basketball IQ and killer competitive mentality.

i have more but this article isn't even worth it

That first line quoted was enough for me to take nothing he said seriously and show me the agenda

Aunt Jemima
03-15-2014, 07:38 PM

For real? Lebron would be better in an era where physical ball is the norm, where hand checking is allowed, where the mentally strong succeed? THE FOOOL CAN'T SHOOT! How are you gonna say a guy who has a average jumper with an average three point shot could dominate an era where NOTHING is handed to you on a platter. By the way, flopping wouldn't go well during that time. Seems like that's his best ability.

FYI: Kobe would play well in that era while Durant could manage.

barreleffact
03-15-2014, 07:52 PM
While I disagree with the blogger, He said MJ WOULDN'T. He admitted MJ COULD do it, so eh...to each his own. Personally, I don't think he would either, but that's because the pace is so much slower now, and smart coaches aren't as willing to play a player 40+ mpg (it still happens, but injuries do too). The no hand checking is greatly in favor, but the advancements of the zone are understated in this thread. Team defenses are vastly improved compared to his day. MJ would still dominate on a ridiculous level because his mentality was bar none the most competitive I've ever heard of, but I don't think it would be on the level many assume he would either.

barreleffact
03-15-2014, 07:55 PM
For real? Lebron would be better in an era where physical ball is the norm, where hand checking is allowed, where the mentally strong succeed? THE FOOOL CAN'T SHOOT! How are you gonna say a guy who has a average jumper with an average three point shot could dominate an era where NOTHING is handed to you on a platter. By the way, flopping wouldn't go well during that time. Seems like that's his best ability.

FYI: Kobe would play well in that era while Durant could manage.

Durant wouldn't get the star calls like he did when raking was legal, but his shot is so pure. He could pull up from anywhere on the court and have a significant chance of making it. If he was in that era, and yes being that skinny sucks, but he would DOMINATE! Switch MJ and Durant (keeping Durant's athleticism), and we might be talking about Durant instead. Better shooter than Bird while being more athletic and those handles???? Pure

IkeDoIt
03-15-2014, 08:05 PM
While I disagree with the blogger, He said MJ WOULDN'T. He admitted MJ COULD do it, so eh...to each his own. Personally, I don't think he would either, but that's because the pace is so much slower now, and smart coaches aren't as willing to play a player 40+ mpg (it still happens, but injuries do too). The no hand checking is greatly in favor, but the advancements of the zone are understated in this thread. Team defenses are vastly improved compared to his day. MJ would still dominate on a ridiculous level because his mentality was bar none the most competitive I've ever heard of, but I don't think it would be on the level many assume he would either.

I agree with you to an extent, I dont think he would mainly because of coaching, rotations, and things of that nature. but out of the 30 NBA teams, i think only the Bulls, Spurs, and maybe Thunder and Pacers have defenses capable of guarding Jordan. then when you combine that with the difference in fouls and physicality of today's game, and how god-awful the East and bottom of the West are. I can see an opening for at least 30 ppg. KD already does it, and Melo is at 28. i dont see 40, but Jordan would be the one that I assume it would be possible to do. his killer instinct is unrivaled

beyourself
03-15-2014, 09:28 PM
If KD can average 32 ppg on 20 shots per game imagine what Jordan would do with 25 shots per game. We all know Jordan would shoot until he can't see straight.

Lil Rhody
03-15-2014, 09:33 PM

Not for nothing but wouldn't lebrons athletic ability be dumbed down to the past? Idk outside looking in sick of hearing who could do what in what era.

If MJ was in this era he would be more freakish of an athlete same as if lebron was in game 25 years ago

Dade County
03-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Kobe Wade LBJ and KD do get superstar calls. they have for the majority of their given careers I'd say.

I agree, they do... Did I write something in my post that says other wise?

I was mainly talking about Jordan, and how he & stern stated the super star foul call, and he was the only player that had it for like 9 straight yrs.

half his points would come from the free throw line. Lebron goes to the line if you even breathe on him. The way Jordan played he would live at the free throw line in today's NBA.

He would go to line the same amount of times, as every other super star. The reason why superstar players go to the line now the way they do, is because of him and stern; so you could say we see jordan calls on a nightly basses.

IndyRealist
03-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Notice how the OP isn't in here defending the ridiculous article he posted.

barreleffact
03-15-2014, 10:14 PM
I agree with you to an extent, I dont think he would mainly because of coaching, rotations, and things of that nature. but out of the 30 NBA teams, i think only the Bulls, Spurs, and maybe Thunder and Pacers have defenses capable of guarding Jordan. then when you combine that with the difference in fouls and physicality of today's game, and how god-awful the East and bottom of the West are. I can see an opening for at least 30 ppg. KD already does it, and Melo is at 28. i dont see 40, but Jordan would be the one that I assume it would be possible to do. his killer instinct is unrivaled

I definitely agree. I think overall he sees either a slight boost in performance or remains even. I don't see any sort of decline, so 30-35ppg on the reg would be my guess.

The real debate would be begin toward the end of the season when MJ ramps up to cement his dominance. I have seen both Kobe concede the title to Durant during the lockout year, and KD conceded it to Melo last year. MJ would never have done that. He would have gone on a tear to show them he is the best to lace em. To me, that is something missing in the league is that mentality.

randyorton33
03-15-2014, 10:15 PM
You have to understand whoever wrote this isn't saying Jordan couldn't their saying Jordan WOULDN'T! It's impossible, less possessions, a more athletic era.....dudes that played pickup ball think they know the game. When you get to the University level this games speed changes tremendously and becomes about seconds and inches, imagine how crazy it is at the pro level

bagwell368
03-15-2014, 10:16 PM

There is ample reason to see many things in the league as better and more now than then,

But anyone that claims todays Centers are less sluggish than the Centers of Jordan's era has made a type or clearly does not know what they are talking about. You have to go back to the 70's when the ABA still existed to find the NBA Centers in such pathetic shape as today.

bagwell368
03-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Jordan didn't score 40 per back then, why would failing to do that be a failure now?

Jordan could score now, it might take more shots, but, it's not like he would be lapped.

Go drag some of the stars from the mid 50's to even 1980 if you want to see total domination over earlier players.

Da Knicks
03-15-2014, 10:24 PM
I call bs Jordan scored on my Knicks and the pistons with all the hand checking and hard fouls he would of torched most teams today. Lbj played in Jordan's era his name was Pippen and was a great player but couldn't dominate at the Jordan level. I disliked Jodan very much being a knick fan but can't discredit his greatness as well as lbjs but they are not the same type of players Jordan was just from a different planet.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2014, 10:51 PM
To be fair, if Jordan had the same advantages of the athletes today (training, nutrition, stats, etc), he would have been even better possibly.

I mean, the wide open 80's, almost any great player now would still be as good, if not better. The 90's, the game was different, so it's case by case.

But the blog is literally saying that the evolution of the game, and the advantages of modern players, is WHY Jordan wouldn't be as dominate. But, wouldn't he have those same advantages?

Hawkeye15
03-15-2014, 10:52 PM
I will say, the hard fouls b.s., and hand checking, is so overrated if you believe it meant better defense. The defense has never been better.

beyourself
03-15-2014, 11:09 PM
To be fair, if Jordan had the same advantages of the athletes today (training, nutrition, stats, etc), he would have been even better possibly.

I mean, the wide open 80's, almost any great player now would still be as good, if not better. The 90's, the game was different, so it's case by case.

But the blog is literally saying that the evolution of the game, and the advantages of modern players, is WHY Jordan wouldn't be as dominate. But, wouldn't he have those same advantages?

I laugh at that because Jordan is the most athletic NBA player I've ever seen even without the advantage of modern players.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2014, 11:10 PM
I laugh at that because Jordan is the most athletic NBA player I've ever seen even without the advantage of modern players.

laugh at what? I pretty much said that in my post..

While he would be facing better defenses today, he would be an even better athlete that he was..

beyourself
03-15-2014, 11:13 PM
laugh at what? I pretty much said that in my post..

While he would be facing better defenses today, he would be an even better athlete that he was..

I laugh at the people who say Jordan wasn't as good as he was because he playing during a time of inferior athletes. Thus, Jordan must not be athletic enough for today's NBA.

TorontoHuskies
03-15-2014, 11:19 PM
Jordan didn't even have to play with a zone...he'd never pulled off what he did back then in this era.

bootypants
03-15-2014, 11:22 PM

He only played Shaq what 8 times while shaq was a laker?

Of course there were stout defenses back then but what, only 5 teams?
Most teams had absolutely nobody to matchup with Jordan's athleticism.

Todays game is way different.

My point is everynight you are atleast getting one athletic 2 or 3 to guard a "star", and usually an athletic big man. Back then it wasn't even 50% of the time. Jordan laughed at the defense of every team besides a handful.

beyourself
03-15-2014, 11:25 PM

My point is everynight you are atleast getting one athletic 2 or 3 to guard a "star", and usually an athletic big man. Back then it wasn't even 50% of the time. Jordan laughed at the defense of every team besides a handful.

Nobody, ever in the history of league can match his athleticism. So what's the point?

bootypants
03-15-2014, 11:32 PM
Nobody, ever in the history of league can match his athleticism. So what's the point?

I disagree. I believe he could be contained from going bonkers by a handful of studs in todays game.
Hell i also believe Pippen in his prime would have been great defensively on MJ to keep him from carrying.

Obviously nobody is going to LOCK him down and keep him from scoring. But if played right they could keep him in check. I would love to see the spurs championship teams in the early 2000's against MJ. Would be a fun matchup. Pops would have thought of something.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2014, 11:35 PM
I laugh at the people who say Jordan wasn't as good as he was because he playing during a time of inferior athletes. Thus, Jordan must not be athletic enough for today's NBA.

The only rivals he has in history, athletic wise, are Wilt and LeBron.

Jordan would destroy any era he played in. Would he average 40 now? Nah, but would he be the best player in the game? Prolly..

eso
03-16-2014, 12:16 AM
I agree he couldn't average 40 in today's game, but in MJ's defence he is over 50 now.....

ghettosean
03-16-2014, 12:35 AM
Wether or not the guy would score 40 ppg today, I can't say, but that article is pretty bs. If Jordan was that ahead of the curve at that time, if you put him in modern time then wouldn't he be that much quicker, faster, hangtime, cuz he would also have all the benefit of advanced training from a young age that players have today??

I hear the same thing about all the old school players, but that's bs. If you're going to take old school players and stick them in this era, then you gotta also assume they would ALSO benefit from all the advanced training and techniques that today's athletes do, and be that much better in modern time than they were in their time.

Also, hand checking DOES make a difference. If he was able to get to the rim with the ease he did with hand checking allowed, I could only imagine how quickly he would blow by defenders without hand checking. Why did they ban it to begin with? what happened?

+1

EXCELLENT POST HERE! All of it!!!

This is the most intelligent post I've seen thus far and the reason they banned hand checking is the game got boring after MJ left so they changed the rules so we could have another rise to be the new GOAT it's funny how it was banned pretty much after MJ retired :rolleyes:

Let the kids think LBJ is the GOAT the greats will never get there props kids are just about the here and now and don't pay attention to the rest.

JeremiahWing
03-16-2014, 12:38 AM
I would let MJ shoot from the outside all day. Today's game has much more stout help defense and quicker more athletic big men. I just don't see jordan driving to the hole as effective on these athletic SG or SF and then making jokes out of the athletic PF's/C at the rim like he did in his era.

Are you serious with this? Homerific is an understatement.

Corey
03-16-2014, 01:19 AM
Jordan would demolish the league with fouls called the way they are now.

effen5
03-16-2014, 02:24 AM

Is this post an absolute joke? You want to talk about defenses? How many teams actually play defense in this era? Bulls, Heat, Memphis and Spurs? FFS there are two teams in the east with below 500 records that are in the playoffs. Jordan would absolutely decimate this era and its not even close. God you kids don't know what you are talking about.

Jordan played against some of the greatest defenses in the league. Knicks, Heat, Bad boy Pistons, Pacers, Shaqs Magic, Utah, Houston, Seattle....Jordan played against some of the greatest centers ever...Ewing, Alonzo, Robinson, Shaq, Hakeem, etc....

amos1er
03-16-2014, 02:31 AM
I don't get this thread. He never even averaged 40 in yesterdays NBA. Highest he ever averaged was 37.1 ppg.

hidalgo
03-16-2014, 03:21 AM
37.1 ppg is the highest ppg in the modern era, & highest ppg anyone not named Wilt scored. nobody else ever really came close to 37.1 ppg. now put him in with today's rules, & yes he'd be able to get 40 ppg for sure (if he wanted it) & could possibly go as high as 42 ppg. anything more would be way overduing it & i doubt he'd play that selfish. if KB could avg 35.4 on 45%FG, MJ could definitely avg 40-42 ppg, 54%FG(maybe higher FG% in against the softer SG friendly rules now, say 58%). this is no ordinary player we're talking about here, this is Michael Jordan. a stone cold killer, & the best scorer in nba history regular season ppg & playoffs ppg, & the best player of all time.

amos1er
03-16-2014, 04:01 AM
37.1 ppg is the highest ppg in the modern era, & highest ppg anyone not named Wilt scored. nobody else ever really came close to 37.1 ppg. now put him in with today's rules, & yes he'd be able to get 40 ppg for sure (if he wanted it) & could possibly go as high as 42 ppg. anything more would be way overduing it & i doubt he'd play that selfish. if KB could avg 35.4 on 45%FG, MJ could definitely avg 40-42 ppg, 54%FG(maybe higher FG% in against the softer SG friendly rules now, say 58%). this is no ordinary player we're talking about here, this is Michael Jordan. a stone cold killer, & the best scorer in nba history regular season ppg & playoffs ppg, & the best player of all time.

Wow.

amos1er
03-16-2014, 04:06 AM
That and the average ppg scored by teams was significantly higher than in this slowed down era. More possessions in Jordan's era. Something to consider.

IkeDoIt
03-16-2014, 04:52 AM

Seriously and without bias ask yourself how many teams nowadays have a legitimate center AND a legit 2-3 man to guard Jordan?? The only stout defenses in today's game are the Spurs, Bulls, and probably the Pacers(not as of late)

Look at the monthlong stretches the Superstars like KD, Kobe, Melo, LeBron, and others have in this league. and NONE of these superstars have the dominating mindset and killer instinct of Jordan. Kobe is close. but that is very understated in this conversation.

IkeDoIt
03-16-2014, 04:55 AM
That and the average ppg scored by teams was significantly higher than in this slowed down era. More possessions in Jordan's era. Something to consider.

the average amount of 3pointers per game skyrocketed in this era for all teams.

effen5
03-16-2014, 05:26 AM

Like Ikedoit mentions, the three point shot sky rocketed in this era...meaning less free throws too.

torocan
03-16-2014, 07:48 AM
Clearly the OP has NO idea how much *harder* hand checking makes the game in terms of scoring.

I have the distinct impression that many of the younger posters have never played a game against a good defender who *knows* how to hand check properly.

It is insanely hard to get off a jump shot or drive past someone who is hand checking you properly and good at it. Guys like Steph Curry wouldn't be able to be a sharp shooter from range (too small, not strong enough). Guys like Rose and Westbrook would struggle between hand checking and no 3s illegal defense rule.

The way some of these writers talk about hand checking, it makes me wonder if they actually even understand what hand checking is...

Supreme LA
03-16-2014, 07:56 AM
Clearly the OP has NO idea how much *harder* hand checking makes the game in terms of scoring.

I have the distinct impression that many of the younger posters have never played a game against a good defender who *knows* how to hand check properly.

It is insanely hard to get off a jump shot or drive past someone who is hand checking you properly and good at it. Guys like Steph Curry wouldn't be able to be a sharp shooter from range (too small, not strong enough). Guys like Rose and Westbrook would struggle between hand checking and no 3s illegal defense rule.

The way some of these writers talk about hand checking, it makes me wonder if they actually even understand what hand checking is...

This. Hand checking impedes all progress to the basket. You place a hand or a forearm on anybody today and they'll complain about holding while back in the day this was the norm. The kids today can't comprehend how much more physical the game was back then because all they see today is guys blowing by their defenders at will. There are so many things in today's game that would be taken away by the defenses during MJ's era.

You can try to explain it to them but they'll never really quite grasp it.

Swashcuff
03-16-2014, 10:31 AM

The Bulls pace in 86-87 (Jordan's highest scoring season) 95.6, the Thunder's pace this season 95.8. Overall the league may be a bit slower than it was back in Jordan's early years but let's not act as if Jordan couldn't put up big points regardless.

Swashcuff
03-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Jordan averaging 40 or not in today's NBA is a matter of opinion no one know for sure. The article that the OP sourced to start this thread is rubbish to the highest degree and that's a FACT.

ewing
03-16-2014, 10:39 AM
He'd score a lot.

redhorse
03-16-2014, 10:52 AM

Exactly...its stupid how many ppl dont think this way...

ewing
03-16-2014, 10:59 AM

The Knicks signed Derek Harper

beyourself
03-16-2014, 11:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0udZq2_0hxk&feature=youtu.be&t=8m34s

Watch at 8:34. Simply the most athletic player in NBA history.

He seriously would have a chance at 40 ppg. Jordan was going to shoot 25 times a game. He's not on the Durant mindset of 18-20 shots a game.

beyourself
03-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Jordan could be standstill from the opposite baseline starting behind all 5 on defense. Then Zig zag his way to the other rim and still leave everybody in the dust.