PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson signs with Knicks

Purple&Gold24
03-14-2014, 06:39 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10607795/phil-jackson-deal-new-york-knicks-finalized

The Knicks released a statement Friday afternoon saying a "major announcement" would be made Tuesday at 11 a.m. ET at Madison Square Garden.

Todd Musburger, Jackson's Chicago-based agent, was in Los Angeles to finalize the contract with Jackson and Knicks officials, according to sources. Jackson's contract is expected to pay him $12 million a year, sources said.

ESPN reported earlier this week that the Knicks were expecting to complete a deal with Jackson by week's end.

Jackson, who has won record 11 NBA championships as coach of the Lakers and Bulls and two as a Knicks player, likely will spend significant time in New York but also retain his time in Los Angeles, sources said.

Jackson will take over the running of the Knicks' basketball operations department from president and general manager Steve Mills. A source said earlier this week that Mills will remain an integral part of the organization.

1_team_1_dream
03-14-2014, 06:41 PM
NBA on ESPN ‏@ESPNNBA 3h
Phil Jackson formally signed a contract to be Knicks president after a lunch meeting Friday with team officials, @RamonaShelburne reports.

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 3h
Phil Jackson has been talking to the Knicks for months. Buss family has known and discussed for months, sources said.

RipCity32
03-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Isn't it for a ridiculous amount of money and part ownership or something?

CityofTreez
03-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Ha....Love it!

Spit in the face of the Lakers FO, and nothing is better than see that unit squirm at this debacle.

Supreme LA
03-14-2014, 06:53 PM
The dark ages for the Lakers organization has just been extended. I'm so tired of saying how the Lakers and Jim Buss just blew it again, but they really just did. Eff you Jim Buss. I hate your guts.

TheNumber37
03-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Knick Fans cry everywhere. And for the first time in decades, they are tears of joy.

torocan
03-14-2014, 07:06 PM
No idea if Phil Jackson can fix the Knicks, but if you were going to bet on Anyone pulling it off, I sure wouldn't bet against the Zen Master.

13 rings -- 11 coaching rings. 2 player championships.

The guy just KNOWS basketball...

PurpleLynch
03-14-2014, 07:09 PM
This could be a historic moment for the Knicks. Actually,I'm happy for them. Also,I'm so sad that the Lakers screwed up again. Right now we're in the hands of Kupchak,but he's a GM...we lack everything else.

Teeboy1487
03-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Happy for all the Knicks fans. Phil is a great mind and he can turn it around for you guys.

xxplayerxx23
03-14-2014, 07:15 PM
He should have a pat Riley effect. He knows basketball, he knows what it takes to win. Just hope things work out can't wait to hear what he has planned

KnicksorBust
03-14-2014, 07:16 PM
No idea if Phil Jackson can fix the Knicks, but if you were going to bet on Anyone pulling it off, I sure wouldn't bet against the Zen Master.

Amen.

Credibility and Prestige back to NY.

Purple&Gold24
03-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Congrats Knicks Fans.

amos1er
03-14-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm not happy for Knick fans at all. I'm extremely jealous. They are getting the greatest basketball mind in NBA history to run their team while we are stuck with the worst basketball mind in NBA history running our team. What makes matters worse is that by all rights, we should have gotten him. It's just that the ego of Jim Buss is that bad. Bad enough to make him think he can do a better job than Phil. Good luck Knick fans... I'm sure you won't need any because you have Phil, but good luck anyways, I'm sure there will be a championship in your near future.

amos1er
03-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Oh and **** YOU JIM!!! :mad:

DillyDill
03-14-2014, 07:33 PM

Very well said he's a Genius at it.

1_team_1_dream
03-14-2014, 07:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:10609645

NYSpirit1
03-14-2014, 08:26 PM
This is unbelievable. It's such a great feeling after literally as much of a nightmare year as you could imagine.

Phil Jackson, 13 rings in all, is coming to the Knicks.

I'd bet the farm Carmelo is staying now. Phil won't let him walk as Melo will be just the start of something great. And oh, 2015 free agency? I can't wait to hear about Melo/Phil doing a full court press on just about everyone out there - Rondo, Love, Parker, Aldridge, Gasol - etc.

The future got brighter. Phil doesn't have experience as a team president, but neither did Riley and he excelled like none other. All Riley had to do is lay his 5 rings on the table and ask LeBron if he wants one.

1_team_1_dream
03-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Ian Begley ‏@IanBegley 3h
RT @ramonashelburne I'm told Jackson's deal with the Knicks is for five years and does not include an ownership stake.

Hellcrooner
03-14-2014, 09:30 PM
Congrats knicks fans.

Its my second team anyway so will be good seeing them go up for a change since Lakers are going to be screwed fo rhalf a decade at least.

LakerShow
03-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Jim buss is a ******.

PraiseJesus
03-14-2014, 09:35 PM
LeBron is going to the Knicks

deaner
03-14-2014, 11:26 PM
I'm a big fan of Phil, but I don't think the Knicks are getting the shot in the arm as many think here. The thing that makes Phil special is his ability to lead... His ability to influence from LA will be minimal IMO. Sure he'll make better basketball decisions... But let's not plan the parade until proven.

GiantsSwaGG
03-14-2014, 11:30 PM
Lebron, Wade and Bosh will be Knicks. Phil will throw his 11 rings on the table!

Deadpool
03-14-2014, 11:37 PM
Congrats to Knicks fans. Hopefully this will be the light at the end of the tunnel.

Deadpool
03-14-2014, 11:38 PM
Lebron, Wade and Bosh will be Knicks. Phil will throw his 11 rings on the table!

It's not possible this off season, however if all of them accept their player options by some unlikely miracle then you never know.

KniCks4LiFe
03-14-2014, 11:41 PM
I'm going to look at this day as the day the official nonsense at MSG has been stalled. It's never stopped, just now the most ******** won't happen.

As for the players and plans. I just see Phil Jackson rebuilding. Once he takes a look at this roster fully, and since he's been prolly watching from afar, he knows he has to tear it down.

His first act will be to get Melo to stfu and opt in. If he doesn't, Melo's time in NY is done.

This will be a huge day for the NY Knicks franchise, Phil Jackson is one of the greatest minds in basketball, and he'll speak w/ Clyde daily to find out the ******** that has been going on this season. And he'll make the moves accordingly to what he wants for this team's future. The triangle offense, his own coach [Kerr most likely] and the exit of cancer players in the locker room.

Anybody and everybody is available for the right price. #Knickstape #thecleaning

Big Zo
03-14-2014, 11:59 PM
This is unbelievable. It's such a great feeling after literally as much of a nightmare year as you could imagine.

Phil Jackson, 13 rings in all, is coming to the Knicks.

I'd bet the farm Carmelo is staying now. Phil won't let him walk as Melo will be just the start of something great. And oh, 2015 free agency? I can't wait to hear about Melo/Phil doing a full court press on just about everyone out there - Rondo, Love, Parker, Aldridge, Gasol - etc.

The future got brighter. Phil doesn't have experience as a team president, but neither did Riley and he excelled like none other. All Riley had to do is lay his 5 rings on the table and ask LeBron if he wants one.

Actually, Riley has held his position since 1995, so he had 15 years of experience prior to acquiring the big 3. Also, keep in mind that Phil is almost 70 years old, so it's a bit unrealistic to think he'll be doing this for more than a few years. I'd be cautiously optimistic if I was a Knicks fan.

mike_noodles
03-15-2014, 02:01 PM
The whole problem with this debacle is.... James Dolan. It doesn't matter who you hire as president, CEO, whatever. That's just putting pretty lipstick on a pig. Dolan (yeah, the guy who doesn't know jack **** about basketball) is still going to be calling all of the shots. They are arguably the worst run franchise in all of professional sports and there's one common denominator there.

AddiX
03-15-2014, 02:05 PM
I don't thnk any Knicks fans are expecting any miracles.

Dolan is a control freak, who hates anyone talking bad about him.

Say what you want, but when the media really started attacking him, and the fans started calling for protests for him to sell the team, he went out and answered that talk by getting phil.

Thats proof fans have a say in what there team does, as long as they make themselves heard. Now, we just have to wait and see if Dolan can keep himself in check from making basketball decisions. Phils first job in NY, breaking the stronghold CAA has over this franchise.

BklynKnicks3
03-15-2014, 02:42 PM
I hope lebron don't come here no cowards in Ny u had ur chance

xxplayerxx23
03-15-2014, 02:47 PM

Shut up you biased fool

PraiseJesus
03-15-2014, 03:49 PM

LeBron will be Knicks

You heard it here first

torocan
03-15-2014, 04:00 PM

:crazy:

PraiseJesus
03-15-2014, 04:46 PM
MY prediction is already confirmed

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/15/report-lebron-will-look-at-knicks-in-free-agency-now-that-phil-jackson-is-in-place/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Report: LeBron ‘will look at’ Knicks in free agency now that Phil Jackson is in place

NYKINFL
03-15-2014, 05:45 PM

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/15/report-lebron-will-look-at-knicks-in-free-agency-now-that-phil-jackson-is-in-place/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Report: LeBron ‘will look at’ Knicks in free agency now that Phil Jackson is in place

If LeBron opts out after this season then I don't think there's a chance of it happening. However, if he opts in then all bets are off and it becomes a real possibility.

setman2000
03-15-2014, 06:12 PM
I never saw Jackson win anything without coaching the best players in the NBA, but I guess that makes you a "genius". Total waste of money for NY, Lebron's not going to NY because of Phil. Maybe they can trade for Kobe's $30 million salary! This move doesn't scare anybody and only the Phil lovers or NY fans give a crap.

xxplayerxx23
03-15-2014, 06:16 PM
I never saw Jackson win anything without coaching the best players in the NBA, but I guess that makes you a "genius". Total waste of money for NY, Lebron's not going to NY because of Phil. Maybe they can trade for Kobe's $30 million salary! This move doesn't scare anybody and only the Phil lovers or NY fans give a crap.

Apparently you do too since you took the time to post that garbage

beasted86
03-15-2014, 06:21 PM

I'm not so sure he wants to play for a perennial losing franchise again. But anything can happen now that Phil is in charge.

torocan
03-15-2014, 07:51 PM

Even if that were true AND Lebron believed him, wouldn't that HELP Phil Jackson's case? Lebron is the best player in the NBA. Melo is nothing to sneeze at either.

Add a 3rd star and you'd be coaching some of the best players in the NBA, wouldn't you?

Sorry, that criticism doesn't work against Jackson in FA... especially since he'll be going after the best players.

PraiseJesus
03-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Phil + LeBron + a bunch of rabid midgets = 6 Rings

siix
03-15-2014, 08:46 PM
lol ppl acting like the knicks gonna win a championship next year

South Side Sox
03-15-2014, 08:48 PM
I shocked that Phil hasn't taken a job where the tables are set for a long run.

Sent from my LG-L40G using Tapatalk

NBA_Starter
03-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Good luck Zen Master, the league is better when the NYK are contending.

beasted86
03-15-2014, 08:52 PM
I actually hope this LeBron to NY talk gains momentum... just so I can watch the epic soul crush for the 2nd time around.

JasonJohnHorn
03-15-2014, 10:14 PM
I don't know why the Knicks are signing Phil Jackson. I mean, I realize he hasn't played for anybody yet this season, which makes him eligible for the playoffs, but he's had two hip operations and hasn't played in game since 1980! That is a LONG time. His defense was already fading at THAT point, and while I'm sure it is still a little better than Melo, I'm not sure that he will give them the rebounding presence they need. He might be good to throw in for small stretches, for offensive plays at the end of a quarter or something, but significant minutes? I don't think so.

I think the signing is very forward thinking in terms of battling the rampant ageism that goes on in the league (I mean, when was the last time a team signed a player over 42?), but that said, I'm not sure he's going to play at the level they are expecting him to. I know he helped them win two championships, and he has championship experience,but... that was a long time ago. This was a nostalgic signing, not a basketball signing. That said, he may be able to outrebound Amar'e.

FYL_McVeezy
03-15-2014, 11:29 PM
I actually hope this LeBron to NY talk gains momentum... just so I can watch the epic soul crush for the 2nd time around.

LBJ is not leaving Miami. The media can make up whatever fairy tales they'd like to.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-15-2014, 11:44 PM

This, although I had my heart broken as well that 1st time. :(

Pierzynski4Prez
03-15-2014, 11:49 PM

You mean a person that May or may not work for the Heat (or likely even exists) thinks that. Article is completely baseless like 99.9% of these rumors from "unnamed sources."

xabial
03-15-2014, 11:58 PM
I honestly believe there's no chance LeBron will sniff NY unless he gets the 3 peat with Miami. Jordan did it, Kobe did it, he needs to do it. Then he can leave on a high note, appreciated by Miami Fans for helping the Heat win 3 straight championships (something that fans of most franchises will never see in their lifetime)

If we wins some more Rings in NY after having a 3 peat with MIA with Phil/another coach running the Triangle then LeBron will be so much closer to being the Greatest of All Time.

Of course he can still choose to stay in Miami. This is simply my opinion on what needs to happen for LeBron to even consider NY.

NYKnickFanatic
03-16-2014, 12:20 AM

No one is expecting him to come to the Knicks, so calm the **** down kitty cat.

NYKnickFanatic
03-16-2014, 12:20 AM
This, although I had my heart broken as well that 1st time. :(

How that dick taste?

sunsfan88
03-16-2014, 12:30 AM
Knicks actually did something right for the first time in over 14 years.

DitchDat
03-16-2014, 06:36 AM
This whole story has been so weird. Plus, the commitment is for the short-term I believe, so I'm not sure what hei intends to accomplish there.

torocan
03-16-2014, 07:35 AM
This whole story has been so weird. Plus, the commitment is for the short-term I believe, so I'm not sure what hei intends to accomplish there.

He's committed for 5 years. That's not really short term.

I expect he's thinking he'll fix the roster and FO, get them on the right track organizationally, and hopefully have built a play off caliber, maybe even championship contending team.

And in 5 years that's possible with the right moves, right people and some luck.